
ICANN78 | AGM – At-Large Leadership Wrap Up
Thursday, October 26, 2023 – 1:15 to 2:30 HAM

YESIM NAZLAR:

Hello, and welcome to the At-Large Leadership Wrap Up. My name is Yesim Saglam and I'm the remote participation manager for this session. Please note that this session is being recorded and is governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior. During this session, questions or commands submitted in chat will only be read aloud if put in the proper form as I've noted in the chat. I will read questions and comments aloud during the time set by the chair or moderator of this session. Interpretation for this session will include English, French and Spanish. Click on the interpretation icon in zoom and select the language you will listen to during this session.

To ensure transparency of participation in ICANN's multi-stakeholder model, we ask that you sign in to zoom sessions using your full name. For example, a first name and last name or surname. You may be removed from the session if you do not sign in using your full name. With that, I will hand the floor over to Jonathan Zuck, ALAC Chair. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, Yesim, and don't put in a fake name just because you want to be removed from the meeting. Just want to clarify that. Everyone welcome back. Are we putting an agenda up on the screen? So, long meeting, right? I know mine began at Friday morning so we've all been

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

here quite a while, but we had a lot going on. A lot of excitement. All three of our plenary sessions were very well received and very forward thinking, and so I was very excited about all of that. We had productive meetings with the SSAC despite Steve Crocker's hijacking the meeting. He may have suggested other things on which we will potentially collaborate, so I think that was still very useful. We had a good meeting with the GAC, a good meeting with the Board, so I think overall a very successful At-Large anniversary meeting, so congratulations to all of you.

So let's dig right in here into the agenda and look at some of the highlights of what's taking place here at this meeting. So who's prepared to give some liaison reports? Do we have people signed for work group reports? [CROSSTALK] That's what you mean by the work groups. I thought you meant out in the world. Working group reports. So let's start with the CPWG, Hadia and Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Go for it, Hadia, because -- it's Olivier speaking -- I had a bet with Andrei that we were going to go before him and he says, no I have to run. Well, he's not running. Over to you, Hadia.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: Thank you. This is Hadia for the record. If we can have on the screen the session reports, please. Oh, this is a working group. I thought this was --

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yes, this is the CPWG report. The meeting that you held, that you chaired.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: Yes, I remember. So during the Consolidated Policy Working Group session, we had updates from the working groups. I don't know if we need to go over this again. No, right? So basically we had updates from all working groups. That's mainly it.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Were there any action items that came out of it, or surprises or updates?

HADIA EL MINIAWI: No surprises, but I will leave it to Olivier. Olivier, do you have something to add in relation to our...?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Hadia. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking, and indeed yes, we had the updates from each one of our people that are officiating in the Expedited Policy Development processes which are expedited not in the fast way but in the fact that they do not have an issues report created by staff before the policy development process takes place. And that means that some of those policy development processes are taking many many years and still have many years to go, which takes me to another point which is that we need more people involved in the Consolidated Policy Working Group. I know that we already have a lot of the ALAC members and a lot of people there, but

the group is open to everyone to join in. It's just a mailing list and we meet twice a week; we meet once a week at 1300 UTC and 1900 UTC and all the calls are recorded.

So we had all the updates on the different processes that were taking place and we're going to continue responding to public consultations as we always do. The way that it works is that the group itself looks at the consultations coming in decides on whether to produce a statement or not and then we have people volunteering to coordinate the creation of a statement. Everyone can participate; if the topic requires some explanation, we usually invite an expert or someone who's directly related with the consultation taking place so they can provide us with more information.

It's a wonderful way of learning about how ICANN works, how policy development works at ICANN. You don't need to speak at the beginning you can then when you feel like you can contribute, you can put your contributions in the chat, and when you feel that you can contribute even more then you can ask for the floor and get directly involved. There's no barrier to entry as such in this way; and of course, we would like to see people from all regions join because these policies affect everyone in the world.

I know I've taken the time for reporting for advertising, but I think it's important to tell everyone and especially people who might not be already in these groups that it's a great first step to get involved in policy and you get to learn a lot of things from participating even when you're looking at how things are going. Now Hadia is going to go into the substantive stuff.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: It's Hadia again for the record. Just one thing; we had also a look into the future and what to look for ahead in the next year, and it was Jonathan and Justine who reported on this part. So Jonathan, would you like to say a few words there?

JONATHAN ZUCK: No. What I want to do actually is amplify Olivier's commercial with a mandate. If you are on the ALAC, it is expected that you will attend every one of those CPWG calls, and if for some reason you are not able to, that you will listen to the recording. It's not just available to you, it is a part of your job as an ALAC member to be aware of the policy discussions that we're having so that when it comes time to vote you're aware of what you're voting on. I just wanted to amplify your very sweet invitation with a little bit of a nudge as well. Steinar, you have your card up here, I wanted to make sure I saw you.

STEINAR GRØTTERØD: Hi, this is Steinar for the record. I think it was on Saturday that again a status report about what was going on in the inter-transfer PDP group and I kind of ended my report saying that we are in a critical moment that the Registry Stakeholder group don't want to agree that the so-called BTAPPA, the partial transfer should be added to the transfer policy. The good news reached my ears that there has now been lobbying by the share and they have reached consensus, that the Registry Stakeholder group will accept that this particular transfer

process, bulk transfer process, will be included in the in the transfer policy, and that's a win-win-win. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: That's excellent. OFB.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Jonathan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Thank you for this, Steinar, and we will probably have some further updates about other processes that have happened during this ICANN meeting. The next call is not next week because everyone's on a on a break, but it's the week after and the primary topics will be about what happened at ICANN78.

So that's all I have to add, and of course just to welcome, and I think it's because he is in charge of this now, Andrew Chen is a new ICANN staff member who will now be supporting all of the policy work. He is extremely eager; Hadia and I had a long discussion with him. He seems to soak information in like a sponge. He is very bright and so I think he's going to be really a wonderful person to work with and I look forward to our community working with him. And thank you, Heidi, for finding someone as promising as this chap. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Eventually, I'll stop calling him new Chantel. All right, it was great to meet him. Who's here from the OFB that can give a little bit of a summary from that? We have anyone? All right, let's just keep moving

then and now would be the time for session reports, and probably to let people out of the room know that liaison reports are coming up.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I can do for OFB, but many people here were in the room, therefore it's short. What is important is that we talk about the process of the budget and the fact that the PTI budget it's now -- and then all the stuff with PTI will be aligned with the same date with the rest of ICANN. Second is that there is a strategic planning who is starting already. And the third point it's a report from Sharon and myself about the Pilot Holistic review and the comment is open. That's the main point we discussed during this meeting and I am sorry to jeopardize this --

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thank you. Let's go ahead and skip to the session reports. Hadia, go ahead with that.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: Thank you, Jonathan. This is Hadia again for the record. So we will start with the session reports and we had three IDN EPDP for gTLDs, three sessions that Satish will report on.

SATISH BABU: Thanks very much, Satish for the record. I have put in detailed session reports into the wiki but the wiki has a bug on it. It appears to have a bug. There are about six or seven reports right now but only two are displayed. They are there in the edit mode but they are not appearing

in the display mode. Thanks. The detailed report is there so I'm not going to repeat myself.

HADIA EL MINIAWI:

Next, on Sunday we had the At-Large Operations, Finance and Budget, and we have received a report on it now. We had also the At-Large Consolidated Policy Working Group overview, and we also had an update on that. We had the joint session for the ALAC and SSAC and, Andrei, would you like to brief us on this? Thank you.

ANDREI KOLESNIKOV:

Thank you very much, Andrei Kolesnikov for the record. Let me just give a short update. We had a nice meeting by the way, very kind of family style meeting between the ALAC and SSAC. Among other things, which I'll shortly remind that we were talking about name collision, of course it's an ongoing important project because it is connected directly and [inaudible – 00:14:15] back on a new gTLD program.

Work parties keep doing the work. We have a DS Automation Evolution of DNS Resolution which is about to be released. The liaison report which you will see shortly will most likely have a link to the new documents published by the SSAC. Also of course traditionally DNSSEC and security workshops, there were a couple of them.

The important thing is about the meeting between SSAC and the board because SSAC is supportive of the global public interest framework and trying to grade its question into the outputs of the policy development process, and the core idea is that the GPI framework seems to imply and

not directly state that any policy outcome being reviewed has sufficiently answered the policy issue identified by the working group to solve a particular issue and that SSAC suggests that the word ‘effective’ be added as a public interest category in the GPI framework; so any output policy and process should be measured not only by the set of inputs and outputs but also have a tools to measure its effectiveness because there is a lot of policies coming out and a few of them seem to look nice but not working. And because there is no measure of successful implementation and tracking it, so that was a very important part, the metrics.

Among other important things I will remind you, it was during our session, that SSAC has selected Ram Mohan as the next SSAC Chair. Rod and Julia will complete their service by the end of this year, and Tara Whalen will be the next SSAC vice chair, and in order to help with a lot of the work that actually is going on in SSAC, there will be Barry Leiba and Jeff Bedser who will be serving on the SSAC admin committee in addition to Ram and Tara, so it's now enforced.

[Redacted – unauthorized inappropriate comments as a result of Zoombombing.]

So that's basically it, and I personally think that Steve Crocker's participation at the joint meeting was pretty special and interesting. Thank you.

[Redacted – unauthorized inappropriate comments as a result of Zoombombing.]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Apologies, the person has been removed, thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Farzi.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: Thank you, Andrei. So we also on Sunday had a GNSO council working session which Justine will be reporting on.

[Redacted – unauthorized inappropriate comments as a result of Zoombombing.]

I'm not going to say SSAC again, so SSAC Work Session 1 - Community Data Set Inventory, that's a session that was attended by Bill Juris. Bill, would you like to report on this? Thank you.

BILL JOURIS: Bill Jouris for the record. I don't know that there are any burning items here; this was the first SSAC meeting that was open to the world and I thought it was fascinating and I would hope that we would encourage them to keep doing this. I think they will keep doing this whether we were --

[Redacted – unauthorized inappropriate comments as a result of Zoombombing.]

the only critical point I noticed was that they were doing an inventory of what information sources are currently available for security

incidents and I was sort of appalled that it didn't happen 20 years ago, but they're finally getting it done so all will be good there. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: [Redacted – unauthorized inappropriate comments as a result of Zoombombing.]

-- in which we've reached consensus positions, but we did discuss them on the OFB working group call, and Ricardo shared our thoughts on that, so that's a conversation that's probably going to continue and that we'll need to continue to evolve our own consensus on it. That's probably it, Hadia. Thanks.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: Thank you, Jonathan. And now we have Joanna for an update on the ALAC-GAC session.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Or do you want to merge that into your...

JOANNA KULESZA: I'm glad to merge everything I have to say.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: Great. Now we go to Satish. He's reporting on UA Day.

SATISH BABU:

Satish for the record. There's some changes the way the UA Day is being organized in 2024. The first is that the UA Day is not a single day now. The day still remains 28th of March, but the celebrations are from 1st March to 31st of May. So you're free to kind of organize events during this time. Now, I also note that this period is actually when we are going to be in Puerto Rico. So if Puerto Rico wants, you can have a special UA Day, some kind of event to celebrate the UA Day while we are there. So now the applications will open on 1st November. So anybody who's applying please ensure that you apply putting your applications in time. Thanks.

HADIA EL MINIAMI:

Thank you, Satish. Now I will go to the At-Large Plenary: The Impact of Technological Advancements on ICANN that was on Tuesday, the 24th of October. So what happened during the session? The session was attended by John Crain, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of ICANN, and Andre Abed. Steve Crocker, he's the CEO and co-founder of Shinkuro, Inc, he's also one of the internet pioneers, and board members, Leon Sanchez and Avri Doria. The session mainly addressed the topic of ICANN and emerging technologies and possible future predictions. John talked about two aspects when looking at technology. First looking outward and how to and to how everybody else is using these technologies and the challenges and opportunities with these technologies. And he says this is his job and also how to implement these technologies.

So some points or takeaways. First, there are challenges of implementing technologies that no one is implementing.

Implementation is not only about technology but it's also about policy. So it's not only a technology issue but it's a policy issue as well. Contracted Parties' contracts include clauses about some technologies such as IPv6 and DNSSEC. ICANN continuously investigates all emerging technologies. Buzzwords this year include artificial intelligence, machine learning and blockchain. ICANN looks at classification systems to detect abuse related to DNS abuse.

ICANN is using machine learning to improve the science, conducting research, publishing papers. Some other takeaways. Some technologies are just too expensive to implement given the current scale of the ecosystem. When there is a decision to evaluate a new emerging technology and see how it applies both internally and for community-facing, the challenge is do we have the capacity? Do we have the skills to implement it? Do we have the support? Where does the skill set come from? How do we develop the skill set?

And the final point here that we need to always ask the question what problem are we trying to ask when we are looking to use an emerging technology. Steve Crocker was more about looking into the future and making predictions. So he predicted four items. Crypto, facial recognition, automatic translation and discussion facilitation. He focused though on only two which are automatic translation and discussion facilitation. He predicts that automatic translation could be implemented in eight years and discussion facilitation, we don't have a timeline for it. But for sure both automatic translation and discussion facilitation are two items that the At-Large community will definitely benefit from. Being a diverse community with diverse linguistics,

diverse languages and culture, automatic translation for sure is important to the At-Large community. So I stop here and thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thank you, Hadia. I'm sorry, what do you mean by stop here then?

HADIA EL MINIAWI: I go to Wednesday the 25th of October and we have the At-Large EURALO plenary and, Sébastien, would you report on that? Joanna? Sure.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: That will be much better than me. She's the boss. I am not.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Always.

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you so much. This is Joanna Kulesza for the transcript recording. I shall speak slowly for translation purposes. The EURALO plenary was focused on new internet infrastructures and just to attract attention we've used words like SpaceX and IRIS2. As everyone recalls, this was the second part of a webinar we hosted in the prep week where we introduced the theme, we introduced the background documents and we've encouraged everyone to follow up with the recording. If someone has not done that, we strongly encourage you to do so, even today.

We've had two interventions which were there just to provoke discussion from distinguished EURALO colleague, Pari, and from an external expert, Dr. Uta Meier-Hahn, who has also worked on this topic and developing states. Then we dived into a discussion attempting to answer a general question of whether there is a role for the At-Large community to ensure that these new infrastructures are set up to the benefit of the global end user community.

Again, all the details are on our agenda so I will refrain from paraphrasing those. My understanding is that the overall emotion in the room was that this is an important topic and we should follow up on it. The open question was how we might wish to do that. We've looked at different options. There isn't a specific path forward for us to carry the message. Maybe the At-Large loop would be an opportunity to do so.

We've received feedback from John Crain who expressed willingness to look into possibly a paper. A report from the CTO office explaining what it is that we mean when we say low earth orbit satellites, what their technological neutrality might be and what a rush political decision to deploy them in the jurisdiction might hold for the whole of ICANN community and users in particular. So the AI, the action item from that session is to get in touch with John and see if there is ground for further consensus building.

Now, it seems as if it is a topic of joint interest. The EURALO is always open and I speak on behalf of myself and the leadership of the EURALO to further discussions. So if there is interest for dedicated sessions in any other RALOs, do let us know. And I believe that these are the key

takeaways. So a potential draft paper, a potential continued discussion, no specific action item that would relate to policy. And Jonathan was the cat herder there so I'm glad to hear from Jonathan if I've missed anything. Thank you very much.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: Jonathan? I see Sebastian.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Just quickly, I had some discussion about this topic outside of the room with different people and one of the first question it's, why is it in the scope of ICANN? And therefore, I think that the first paper we need to ensure is why it's concerning users and why it's concerning ICANN, or why it could concern ICANN. Thank you.

HADIA EL MINIAWI: Thank you, Sebastian. And who do you think should contribute to this paper? So we go to the next At-Large plenary session, which is WSIS+20, and Marita Moll is going to report on this.

MARITA MOLL: Thanks, am I here? The corners of the tables are not set up for the mics. Thanks. The discussion on the WSIS+20 and building an engagement strategy was very energetic and attracted a fair bit of attention and a fair number of people coming to the room. We had Veni Markovski, Elizabeth Oluoch from ICANN who look after this at the global level. Wolfgang Kleinwaechter, who has been involved in these discussions

since 2005 and before. Nigel Hickson with the GAC and the UK government and myself speaking at the end-user perspective. Desiree Miloshevic speaking from the private sector perspective, and Lucien Castex talking about the issue from the perspective of a country code operator. And Olivier did his wonderful job of moderating as he always does and kept a heavy and passionate topic always together with a little bit of humor.

The ideas that were put forward was that it was absolutely essential for end users especially to be involved in this and it's the most difficult for end users to be involved in this kind of a UN discussion that ends up as a UN discussion where they don't actually have any status. There's a great fear that in the next iteration of the WSIS document, there could be some form of just making it less important, making the multi-stakeholder idea a little less -- just toning it down, making it less important or making it just removing or trying to condense it a little bit and turning it more power to the multilateral system.

We did, however, get some nice action items out of it. I know Hadia wants me to talk about that. I can see you. Because we thought that really it's important at the At-Large level, because certainly it's the hardest for us to get involved. We have the fewest resources, both at the national level, at the country level, and at the level of At-Large too. So we're going to be setting up, in fact may already be set up a discussion group, might be under the auspices of the OFB, but I'm not sure that's totally decided yet.

So we wanted to have a place where people could make the discussion, have the discussion and place where the resources, because there were

a lot of resources offered at this particular session and where people could get up to speed on what they needed to do to get involved. The next goal is a meeting in Geneva in March of 2024. So moving towards that goal, we're going to try to get people up to speed and maybe produce something that we can actually maybe present there in some way, shape or form. Hadia, did I kind of get it? All right, thank you.

HADIA EL MINIAWI:

Thank you so much, Marita. So we have a couple of GNSO council meetings and the joint session between the ICANN board and GNSO council. Those sessions, Justine Chu will be reporting on them. Thank you so much. And I finished the session reports. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thank you. We're just in time for the liaison reports. So let's just start with Justine Chew, giving us a little report of what's up going on at the GNSO this week.

JUSTINE CHEW:

This week, plenty. This is Justine for the record. For the most part, the key issues that concern At-Large were raised during the bilateral on the first day. So there's going to be a number of things that need to be followed up on. And one of it is the issue of the diacritics back. We're not going to call it back anymore. It's the diacritics issue. And the reason why I'm late is because council meeting next door to discuss what they want to do with the diacritics issue. And they have just come to an agreement that they're going to ask for a study. So it's not an

issues report, it's a study. And the reason for that is there are implications for requesting an issues report along the lines of there needs to be a council vote to request for an issues report. So they don't want to do that.

And plus, the issues report has certain implications for other people. Yes, it implies that there will be a PDP that we call. And the GNSO council as a whole is not convinced that a PDP is required at this point in time. So that's why they've asked for a study to examine the issue further. I'll keep people up to date on what's happening with that. I am part of the IDN's EPDP where this issue came up to us. And that's why it's brought up to council. I will still have a hand in that anyway.

In terms of coming up issues, which I've not mentioned so far, is a few things. One is on DNS abuse. And I'm going to be very careful what I say because I don't want to over promise. The Contracted Parties, in particular the Registrar Stakeholder group -- and I believe it's just a Registrar Stakeholder group, but I'll confirm that -- the Contracted Parties are taking the outreach approach, more of an outreach. So they are interested in having separate conversations with different SO/ACs, Cs, Gs, whatever, on what they are doing with DNS abuse. So I think that's a very, very good opportunity for us.

I have already mentioned to Greg -- who is the GNSO chair now, he's also part of the Registries Stakeholder Group -- to put my name down as the contact person so that if there's any requests coming from At-Large or ALAC that you want some presentation by the Contracted Parties on what they're doing with DNS abuse on a periodic basis, then I'm happy to facilitate that. So that's number one.

Number two; there is also another request, but not from GNSO. It is a request from ICANN org, but I need to frame that a little bit more, but it's got to do with the auctions issue. So I'll leave it as that. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thank you for your wonderful liaising this week, Justine. And it looks like we may be modifying our position on the auction thing a little bit to accommodate more interests. Joanna, tell us what's going on.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I don't understand what you just said. What does it mean? We need to change our position.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Oh, we may need to modify what we're recommending from this session, that's all.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Therefore, we may need to discuss that to see if we need to change the position.

JUSTINE CHEW: Yes, we will have a discussion on that, but not here. Thank you.

JOANNA KULESZA: Great, thank you. So we held a bilateral with the GAC. It's always exciting and too short. We focused on three agenda items. The first one

was the 2017 joint advice on meaningful participation, basically focusing on the readability and accessibility of ICANN documents, those particularly produced by the Org. And while everyone welcomes the advancements made by the ITI, there still seems to be a hunger for more transparency. So we focused on this one. Alan was kind enough to present where we stand quite briefly. I believe it is an open question how we might wish to proceed. So it seems as if the At-Large and ALAC are ready to submit another joint statement, whether that is the wish of the GAC is an open issue. And I believe that's something we might wish to circle back to. This might again, not be the setting to discuss it.

And then we've devoted a significant amount of discussion to contention resolution and auctions with the presentation from Monte Cahn. That discussion was substantial. There seems to be a shared perspective on the question of auctions and an actionable joint statement on how auctions should be resolved and how they should be attended. And again, I will refer back to both Justine and Jonathan if we want to discuss this in more detail.

And then very briefly, we've reserved just a few minutes for Closed Generics. The positions of both the ALAC and the GAC seem close enough to think about the joint statement again, but due to lack of time, it seems as if we were not able to come to a conclusion during a plenary, which is never really the appropriate way to do so. So this would give us three pending action items we might wish to proceed on.

And clearly, there was interest in the room for more discussion on issues like ccTLD redelegation, which might be out of scope for this particular bilateral, but if need be, we shall facilitate. And this goes out with

thanks to Justine for liaising directly on specific issues where it is needed as opposed to us having hold separate sessions, but that option is also always open. I'm going to stop here, but again, if I missed anything substantial for the ALAC to review, please let me know. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

So Joanna, that was just our meeting with them, but was there anything else that surfaced in your interactions with the GAC or other sessions they had that you think this group might want to know about?

JOANNA KULESZA:

Again, I believe it is about prioritizing. So my recommendation at this point would be to focus on these three specific agenda items where we seem to have the closest alignment. DNS abuse remains high on the radar. And applicant support is an issue where we also seem to align quite closely. But as you have navigated the policy discussions, it might be most relevant to focus on those items where we are most closely aligned.

I would still retain these three focus areas as where we are best suited to move forward. But the discussion on DNS abuse remains pending. We've had a very fruitful meeting with the Public Safety Working Group, for example. There are recommendations. There is a draft letter that Elena Plexida issued to the European Commission on how the NIS and particularly its Article 28 might impact the DNS community. I will put all of this in my report with your kind permission.

And rather than discussing these at length right now, I would focus on these three key takeaways and then follow up possibly also with the Consolidated Policy Working Group or specifically with topic leads on applicant support, DNS abuse, and other pertinent issues. Does that work for a report?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yes, thank you. And Justine's going to add a little bit of color on the applicant support issue.

JUSTINE CHEW: Thanks, Jonathan. Thanks, Joanna. This is Justine for the record. So Joanna mentioned something about applicant support. What we've done is actually, you remember that we formulated a proposal on applicant support, extending the resources for applicant support, the ALAC proposal on how to fix recommendation 17.2, rings a bell. So that was endorsed by ALAC. So, and that's been submitted to GNSO, is sitting with the small team, pending the call for the small team to be made into a small team plus. So that's still happening.

But at the same time, we have floated the proposal to the GAC topic lead on applicant support, who is going to be the person that's talking about applicant support on behalf of GAC. That person had mentioned it at the end of the ALAC-GAC meeting, that she's looked at the proposal, kind of likes it. I'm trying to get her to try and rally support from the GAC for that proposal so that we can put joint forces and bring it forward because GAC is going to be on that small team plus as well. Thank you. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: We don't have anybody on ccNSO. So can we get the agenda back on the screen? And we're not ready on social media either, I guess. Bill, go ahead.

BILL JOURIS: Bill Jouris for the record. There is one more session report from this morning, which is whenever I got to Thursday. There was a meeting on planning for the string similarity review for the next round of gTLDs. So I'm not sure if that's going to be on the agenda round of gTLDs and for those of you who've missed it, there's the string similarity review panel is going to do a manual review to see whether proposed new gTLDs will be confusing to the end user, which is to say us.

There was a lot of discussion about what kind of people they want on it. Basically, somebody with not too much expertise. So they don't want a linguist. They don't want a typographer. They want somebody who actually knows the script, but doesn't know too much, if you will. And it seems to me, we need to make sure that we're involved when that panel gets set up. I think our action item is to contact the IDM project and make sure they tell us when they're recruiting for that panel so we can get some end user representation onto it. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: That's great; thanks, Bill. One other thing that happened that I know, Greg, if you want to speak at all to the NCUC session in which you participated in the...

GREG SHATAN:

Thanks. Greg Shatan for the record. I participated in the NCUC issues forum, which was moderated by Milton Mueller. We talked about two topics of joint interest, RVCs and applicant support. I was there to talk about the second aspect, applicant support. I think we found that we have very strong alignment on our views of how applicant support should go and no significant differences. Where there are differences, it's more things that each of us just had slightly different ideas, but we liked each other's ideas.

I think there was a real kumbaya moment there and I've volunteered to be part of the subtract on applicant support in the IRT, or rather in the IoT for that. So we'll see how that goes. On RVCs, the basic position of NCUC is that there shouldn't be any. So that's kind of any RVCs at all. But if there are any, they should be firmly within ICANN's mission and in no way outside the mission.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

So RVCs is something that I think we're going to bring back up again on the CPWG call and discuss further, because it's full of nuance and we need to find the right path forward and be a part of that discussion. So the last thing I was going to mention is that we're going to start fairly soon in our preparation for the next meeting. There's not a lot of -- oh, go ahead. Sorry, Sebastian, I didn't see it.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Just to report on one other session, we had the EURALO General Assembly with a lot of people, even if it was not sponsored by ICANN, with a lot of people in the room and online. Just to say that the next step as we -- you finally decertify nine ALSes, we have a clean list of members with two new ALSes also. And that means 31 in Europe. And we will start first to vote on the rule of procedures, and with that, we will be having fulfilled the work requested by the last review at the level of EURALO. And then we will organize the election for the EURALO board. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thank you for the update. Go ahead.

NATALIA FILINA: Natalia Filina speaking. I would like to ask, do I need to highlight point number three shortly?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Oh, yes, if you have something to report there, I didn't know that we had -- I know we're not ready on the contest.

NATALIA FILINA: I just want to say that we had an idea and we will do that. We would like to highlight the importance of the presence of our members during our ICANN meetings virtually. And that is why we will be a little bit late and we will be very attentive with social media and we will find our winners.

And I would like to thank again to all people who contributed with us and helped us spread the information. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thank you. And so we'll be starting the planning committee very soon for ICANN79. So if you're interested, please participate in that. I think we're going to work on, I had a meeting with the RALO chairs. We're going to try to work on making sure that we do enough to circulate the questions from the board and the proposed answers to the board and the questions of the board so that nobody misses them by missing a single meeting.

If you miss two, you might miss it, but maybe not if you miss a single meeting. So we'll work on that going forward to make sure that we have as many voices as possible that are heard as part of those agendas. But so that planning committee meeting will be happening very, very soon. So look for that email. I think with that, I'm inclined to hand the microphone to Hadia or Gisela to talk a little bit about a little farewell for the departing At-Large leaders. You want to give me a list?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. Can we go ahead and move to the next slide? I believe that has the lists of all the departing members and incoming members. There we are. I'm going to hand it over to Jonathan while we get some departing lists ready.

JONATHAN ZUCK: These are our dearly departed. Just people that are stepping down. All right, and so on the ALAC, we've got Raymond Mamattah, Dave Kissoondoyal, and APRALO, we've got Naveed Bin Rais and Maureen Hilyard. EURALO, we've got Matthias Hudobnik, who's just also become our liaison to the SSAC. So we'll continue to see him in that role, but he had to hurry home for a family issue. And LACRALO stepping down is Carlos Aguirre and Laura Margolis, but Laura is going to continue as our ccNSO liaison. So everyone who's here that was on the list I just listed, please come up and accept your gift and be photographed for all eternity.

JUSTINE CHEW: So I'm going to take the opportunity to read the names on the right column because Jonathan is doing the going through the motions of giving gifts, right? Can we have a round of applause for all these people whose names I'm going to say now? Departing RALO Leadership AFRALO, Seun Ojedeji, Aziz Hilali; from APRALO, as Gunela Astbrink; LACRALO, Augusto Ho and Claire Craig; NARALO, Glenn McKnight, and our liaisons, Lianna Galstyan from ccNSO and Andrei Kolesnikov from SSAC.

JONATHAN ZUCK: And with every door that closes, a window opens. So the next slide is the incoming ALAC and regional leaders and liaisons. This is our newly seated ALAC and our newly -- Just settle down. Just settle down, please. Could we get all of you to stand up so people see you? All right, let's welcome them all. Let's welcome them all here. We've

photographed all your faces so we know who was missing from the leadership development session this morning.

So another thing we will work on is communications for the next meeting and figure out how to make sure that everybody knows what schedule they're supposed to be looking at. Because we had somewhat of an anemic attendance at the leadership meeting this morning when we had a very special guest in Sally Newell Cohen, the Senior Vice President from Global Communications and had a lot of interesting things to share. So let's try to get to the meetings. So let's try to figure out the best way to get information to you so that where you need to be. Bill?

BILL JOURIS:

I just point out that if you send out a meeting notice and the only way to tell when the meeting is, is if you are on the laptop as opposed to a phone or a tablet, it's hard to get there. That's why I wasn't there was I didn't know when it was because I didn't have my laptop open. So putting a time in the body the text might be.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

All right, well, we'll work on it. I didn't mean to get into the details of it because I'm sure you're not claiming that's the first that you heard of that meeting. All right, everyone. I appreciate all of you. I'm glad to celebrate this anniversary with you. And let's give them 20 more good years. And I'm looking forward to taking you all out on a cruise tonight and to see the world's largest model train to finish off the train metaphor. They keep edging out Amsterdam for having the biggest

train set in the world. So it's supposed to be an amazing an amazing site Leon saw it and highly recommended it. So we're taking a little cruise on the harbor, and then we'll go have food in the in the train thing and there will be a bus at 17:30 out here in front of the convention center to take us. I'm sorry, 17:45.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: As a station master, I will take care of you for the train.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Are you an official station master?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Did you bring your hat?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I didn't bring it, but I worked for railways for seven years. And I have a railway station.

JONATHAN ZUCK: All right, 17:45. We're going to be on a boat so bring a sweater if you need it. 5:45 is the bus out in front of the convention center.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Just sorry point of order. If I may.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I wouldn't give any more details. This group is incapable of retaining them.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We went through this this morning, not nine messages, but three messages. Unfortunately, I'll probably send about 12, but then still zero gets digested sometimes. But just as a reminder that we're so looking forward to this evening. It's been a great week, but I think we all need some entertainment. Please note that if you haven't heard about this evening, it's just because it's by invitation only not out of rudeness or anything else. It is just for a specific group because we've got a budget that we are trying to adhere to. So the people who have received the invitation, please be on the bus at 17:45. You can always try your luck, but I will have a list with me taking off people so I know who's getting on the bus and who's not.

And then we will get there. There'll be a bit a little bit of a walk to get to you'll be handed everything when we get there. And then we'll be a bit of a walk to get on the boat. And then we will do the boat to a comeback. And then you're all free to walk around the venue and get your own food on level two; all in the email. And then we will try and leave at 21-21:15 to come back. Please do read that email before you leave the conference center or before you are off WIFI or before you're off interpretation. Please do so. And any questions, please come and

ask us because otherwise we won't leave until you're on the bus. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: That's it. Thank you, all. ICANN79 is next.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]