
ICANN79 | CF – GNSO: NPOC Membership Work Session
Tuesday, March 5, 2024 – 9:00 to 10:00 SJU

ANDREA GLANDON: Hello, and welcome to the NPOC Work Session. My name is Andrea, and I am the participation manager for this session. Please note that the session is being recorded and is governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior. If you would like to speak during this session, please raise your hand in Zoom. When called upon, virtual participants will be given permission to unmute in Zoom. On-site participants will use a physical microphone to speak. Please state your name for the record and speak at a reasonable pace. I will now hand the floor over to Juan Rojas. You may begin.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Hello. Good morning. Sorry for my voice. It was a very, very loudly night, so I'm sorry for that. But this is our membership session today, so welcome everyone. We have some people invited to this session, but we are waiting them for a little bit. But we can start giving the welcoming to everyone here in the room, and everyone is on remote or here in this recording. So, with that, this session is planned to be part of this community forum. We are trying to talk with some people from other groups like SSAC, and we are talking also about applicant support that we have the opportunity to talk yesterday with ALAC in our session with them. So let me introduce a little bit about that, just to give up a little time for our guests.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

So, yesterday in our session for ALAC, I think it was a very, very good session because we were exposing some of the concerns that we have identified in Applicant Support Program and share their own. And we also talk about to recover the joint meetings that we had before between NCSG and ALAC that we had in the past. We had those meetings before, and it's not what this got, but it was like, okay, this is an invitation for this, to recover these spaces. Because I personally think that it's a good opportunity to discuss things like applicant support or maybe another thing that we are happening today in ICANN.

So, I don't know if anyone from my leadership team, it was there, and joined a jumping to say something about the ALAC meeting results maybe. And of course, I'm sorry because I was impolite because we have people here so please introduce yourselves and please take the floor.

TOMSLIN SAMME-NLAR: Just so we should introduce ourselves. Okay, I'm Tomslin. Can I ask a question before I pass the mic? With the ALAC session, was it a bilateral between NPOC and an ALAC? Okay, thanks.

JULF HELSINGIUS: For those who don't know me, I'm Julf Helsingius and I'm chair of the non-commercials.

SAM LANFRANCO: I'm Sam Lanfranco. I was in NPOC. I may be in again at the moment I'm in NCSG. I'm an interloper.

TAPANI TARVAINEN: Tapani Tarvainen, representing in NPOC, in NCSG executive committee and from Electronic Frontier Finland.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I'm [inaudible 00:05:08]. I'm from NCSG executive committee representing Europe. And we are member in NPOC too. Thank you.

BOLUTIFE ADISA: I'm Bolutife Adisa. I'm currently the general secretary for NPOC.

CALEB OGUNDELE: And I'm Caleb Ogundele. I'm the membership chair from NPOC. And we are very happy to welcome you back into our fold.

EMMANUEL AGBENONWOSSI: Okay. So, my name is Emmanuel. I'm the current policy chair for NPOC.

INES HFAIEDH: Hi everyone. This is Ines Hfaiedh. I am the NCUC Africa representative, and I am an NPOC member.

ANDREA GLANDON: Judith, you can go ahead and introduce yourself.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks. This is Judith Hellerstein. Sorry I am not there in person. I got a bad cold, but I'm here remotely. So, I'm looking forward to this meeting.

JEAN-FRANCOIS QUERALT: Hi, everyone. Jean-Francois from NPOC, Comms Chair, attending remotely. Thank you.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Glad to hear you, Jean-Francois. I thought that you maybe was not able to participate, to join us remotely. But glad that you are here. So, in the topic of ALAC meetings, someone had something to add here maybe before to move on?

CALEB OGUNDELE: Just before the meeting, I think I was sharing some thoughts on some feedback that we had. And just to put it on record, it was just a meeting between ALAC to hear what their concerns are specifically on some issues that we also have concerns on. It's not on behalf of NCSG. It's just an NPOC asking questions and answer opportunity just for us. Just before we started meeting, I was having a conversation that some of the issues we did raise was on the issue of the public comment for .internal, which was an advice by the SSAC. Which was, I think, released in January, about January 20-ish.

And the concerns we had was that if that advice is implemented based on the fact that ICANN has agreed to adopt .internal, giving that they give them different strings of names, such as dot privacy, dot-- quite a

number of strings of names that it could affect have some effect on not for profit. Take, for example, it's for internal traffic but then there will still have to incur some cost in trying to reconfigure their networks and all of that internally, if that that exists.

And one of the things that we got clarification from based on previous interaction they have also had with SSAC was that it is going to be one-off cost. And secondly, that it is not going to have an overall impact in affecting anything as far as it's just the private network arrangement. And then secondly, that outside it's been a one-off cost. Yeah, I think those are just the key highlights that that we have there. And I welcome Tomslin to ask some questions for clarification.

TOMSLIN SAMME-NLAR: Thanks, Caleb. Could you just explain a bit about the one-off cost. Is it one-off cost to whom? I think that's what I'd like to know. Yeah.

CALEB OGUNDELE: So, that was also our concern yesterday because one of the reasons why we raised that issue is that we have small not-for-profits. Right? Those not-for-profits can basically not afford to maybe even hire-- Maybe they had a budget funding from a funder before that has helped them do their network and all of that. Maybe journalists and stuff like that that has to do with human rights and the rest of them.

Now, when you say you now want to make every configuration within those networks that has to affect this thing. May be getting to hire a network admin to help them run some of those configurations

internally might probably have its implication, but I don't see much because it is just a DNS resolving protocol. And so, there is not much that really needs to be worried about there. From some of the clarification that we got, it's really nothing for us to worry much about.

TOMSLIN SAMME-NLAR: So if you could just clarify. Sorry, not to insist on the point, but I just wanted to know the cost you mentioned. Who is paying that one-off cost? That's what I wanted to clarify. Is ICANN paying the one-off cost or who was paying that?

CALEB OGUNDELE: So, I do not have answers to that. And they didn't provide answers to that. And I cannot authoritatively say what I do not know at this point, but I can only provide information based on what we've had. And it beholds on us to also go back and do further research and also provide the necessary policy advice that can help us in that. Over to you, Julf.

JULF HELSINGIUS: Julf peaking. Yeah, I think it's rather important to understand whether, I mean, if you're talking about one-off fee, is it one-off fee for the whole community, is it one-off for each organization? I mean, that's totally essential to know.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Okay, thank you. I'm sorry. We will revisit again because our guests are here. Both. So, I know that we will revisit later. So, no worries. Okay.

No worries. So, there is not that that fee is decided yet. So, we have no that clarification yet. So, it's a concern. That's it. And it's okay.

Here already we have Kathy Kleinman who is one of the speakers. And Matthias. I'm sorry, Mattie, Hudobnik. It's kind of difficult for me. Sorry. The last name. But we have it here now in the room. We are just waiting that. They've been ready for join us. They are already here. So, it could be the welcoming for both of you and the people that join on the room also. So, are you ready now?

KATHY KLEINMAN:

What am I talking about? Give me one second.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS:

Okay. So, as you can watch, I think, on the screen before, we will be talking about the Applicant Program. And that is topic that we were discussing also with ALAC in our session yesterday. So, we are talking about kind of the same topic, but with Kathy. So, I think that she's all right now.

KATHY KLEINMAN:

Apologies for being late, everybody. Kathy Kleinman and we can hear Lori Schumann next door talking about our RDRS and how much people want access to registrant data. I just want to let you know what's going on next door. It's a big high-level session, but we're going to talk about something really, really fun and important. And we began talking about it actually yesterday after the NCSG meeting with the Board. Right? We started in the aisles. And so, I took that idea and put it to the slides.

So, let's lay the foundation for the Applicant Support Program. By the way, guys, you have to look at me. Because I'm a law professor and I'm asking you questions. This is audience participation. So, before you understand what the Applicant Support Program is, you need to know what New gTLDs are. And it's amazing how many people don't what are new gTLDs. Who's the newest person in the room? I'm going to ask Bolu.

BOLUTIFE ADISA: That will be the new generic top-level domains that have been allocated. So, I believe ICANN expand the number of top-level domains that have been allocated based on this New gTLD process. Yeah.

KATHY KLEINMAN: So, any idea how many we-- When does it open? When are we thinking of opening this New gTLD process?

BOLUTIFE ADISA: It's 2026.

KATHY KLEINMAN: Perfect. Thank you. Great. Okay. So, here's a real good question for this group. Who do we want to apply for these New gTLD days? We know who the Commercial Stakeholder Group next door wants to apply. But who do we want to apply for these New gTLDs? I don't have a right answer on me.

EMMANUEL AGBENONWOSSI: I think everyone. Not specifically to any stakeholder group. So give the opportunity to everybody who have the capability of managing those top-level domain names to apply.

KATHY KLEINMAN: Okay. Everybody.

TAPANI TARVAINEN: I won't specify exactly who we want to apply, but we definitely want non-commercial actors to be able to apply even but then they are not rich.

KATHY KLEINMAN: And were they able to apply in the first round?

TAPANI TARVAINEN: Well, the rich ones, maybe.

SAM LANFRANCO: Okay, I'm not going to say a lot because I'm helping put the terms of reference together and so forth on those committees. But I just want to share with you one of the concerns is if you're going to have an applicant support process built into it. How do you prevent it from being scammed by the rich people? And how do you actually make it possible because it's a very expensive and complicated process?

KATHY KLEINMAN: Before we get to the Applicant Support Program, though, who is it? I mean, Sam, who would you want to apply who maybe didn't apply in the first round? Who are we aiming? Who were you when you're writing the implementation rules-- And let's clarify that. I helped create the policy, but you're writing the implementation of that policy. Who are you thinking of that you really want?

SAM LANFRANCO: Sam LanFranco for the record. I'm still trying to sort that out. But what I am finding is people who have written the financial aspects of the previous ones who are prepared to do it for free if we can find the people. So, we're lining up the support teams, but we're not quite sure because they have to have means.

CALEB OGUNDELE: So just a little intervention here. So, I believe the internet belongs to everyone and should be for everyone. And so, if that belief is held, I believe both the rich ones, which you said and those were not that rich should also be able to apply, right? And it then behooves on us that how do we help those who are not rich to get what the rich can get, right? So, that will be my perception of your answer.

KATHY KLEINMAN: Well, you're accurately reading my mind, but is it your perception of who should be coming into the picture.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yes, it is my perception of-- Or rather, I don't want to put what my beliefs are, but what the facts and the document says. Right? I do believe that everyone, but then since all fingers are not equal, we should help the fingers that are not equal to match the fingers that are equal so that they can have an equal access to the same New gTLD that the rich ones are going to get access to.

KATHY KLEINMAN: And in the first round, it was rich Western Europeans and North Americans. Let's be clear.

CALEB OGUNDELE: I cannot confirm or deny.

BOLUTIFE ADISA: Yeah, I was going to say the first round, there were three applicants and only one successful applicant, which happened to be from for the support program, I mean. And I think it's important that people who otherwise wouldn't have the financial strength to compete for these things be helped so that it becomes egalitarian in some way. Because, yeah, the businesspeople will always triumph if there's no form of help, I would say, for others who aren't as financially strong, I would say.

KATHY KLEINMAN: Right. And I would add my father was an economist and his favorite phrase was zero-sum game, where if I get something you don't. And this is not a zero-sum game. We can all get, as I think Emmanuel picked out,

we can all get New gTLDs, but some people are getting presented twice more. I think we have Tomslin and Emmanuel. I'm anticipating some of my slides. So, we haven't gotten to the Applicant Support Program yet.

TOMSLIN SAMME-NLAR: So, Kathy, to your question. I just wanted to add that I-- to answer that question who I want to apply. It will be an organization in Sub-Saharan Africa to be able to apply and get. And be successful, rather. Which at this point, even, I mean, whether they're profit or not for profit, they currently are unable to even meet the cost of application.

EMMANUEL AGBENONWOSSI: Yes. So, the total number of applications from the 2012 round. Notice that we spoke about Africa. Only 17 people compared to 900 in North America, for example. And if you take the Latin America, they were 24 compared to almost 600 in Europe. So. I think this time around we have to balance it.

SAM LANFRANCO: Okay. I've been wrestling with that for the last year. And the only the only advance I've made thus far is I'm dealing with groups. One is a very large group. It's about a quarter of a billion people who are being treated extremely badly. And the question is how to pull them together. Because they're diverse. And the other is, are there entities, are there already groups that have pulled enough together, whether it's a small company, a community group or something, NGO in Africa or in

Botswana. I think we need to do some kind of outreach. I'll just stop there. We need to do some kind of outreach to inform and ice and help.

KATHY KLEINMAN:

So just a quick preview of what we're about to talk about. But some of the entities that they're talking about that might qualify for applicant support or the types of entities we want to see that didn't apply in the first round, perhaps because of financing will include intergovernmental organizations, indigenous peoples and tribal nations, and entities providing social benefit, public benefit, also micro and small size businesses. So, that's kind of where people are going. But certainly, indigenous peoples has always been something we've been talking about.

So, that leads. I could have started with this slide was this applicant support, but unless we lay the foundation of where we're heading on the larger program, it doesn't make as much sense. So, what is applicant support? In the first round, it meant the reduction of fees for a New gTLD for applying for a New gTLD. So, any idea what the fee was in 2012?

EMMANUEL AGBENONWOSSI: I think it was \$40,000? For the fee, yeah.

KATHY KLEINMAN:

Full fee was \$185,000. What you're guessing is that it was reduced to \$40,000 with applicant support. \$40,000 is still an enormous amount of money for organizations, guys. Okay. But you got it. That was the thing.

So, any idea what the expected fee is in 2025 or 2026 whenever we get there? Higher or lower.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: I don't know. Maybe the same or kind of a similar to that one.

KATHY KLEINMAN: Okay. So same. I'm hearing lower. Sam's indicating higher. Oh, somehow the slide jumped. It's going to be higher. It's going to be \$240,000 to \$250,000. Okay. So, we definitely need help. And I wanted to show you. So, this horribly named group called the Subsequent Procedures Policy Development Process Working Group, which should have been called reviewing the rules for New gTLDs or reviewing the applicant guidebook for New gTLDs, has two recommendations, and I wanted to show them to you.

So, recommendation 17.1 said the working group recommends that as was the case in 2012, fee reductions must be available for select applicants who meet evaluation criteria through the Applicant Support Program. So, that's good. They also said further. Sam, ICANN must conduct outreach and awareness raising activities during the communications period to both potential applicants and prospective pro bono service providers. So, kind of this applicant support project group. So, that's good, but we went further. We went further.

We had recommendation 17.2. That's somewhat off the slide here. The working group recommends expanding the scope of financial support provided to Applicant Support Program beneficiaries beyond the

application fee to also cover costs such as application writing fees and attorney fees related to the application process. Right? It's not enough just to be able to do the application. Application fees when you have the business experts, the legal experts, the technical experts can run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, which we all have lying in our back pocket. Right?

So, you'll never guess. The Board said no. It said yes to recommendation 17.1, said no to recommendation 17.2 to expensive and potentially exposed ICANN allow ability for legal assistance. So, you'll never guess what we did. We jumped in and we said the extra support is critical for the success of an applicant, the exactly the kinds of applicants we were just talking about. So, this was this meme and to Tomslin, right? I mean, we jumped in. Rema joined us. Nama joined us. And we said, you can't say no to this. We will find ways to reduce your liability. We'll find ways to do it, but you have to say yes. And so, the Council said no to the Board, and said extra support is critical for success. We're still fighting it out. We're getting a lot closer with the Board in this group called the SubPro Small Teams+.

Okay. So now we get to what I think you really wanted me to talk about, Caleb, in one, which was the handbook that's out for public comment, but I wanted to lay the foundation. So, in our public comment process, there is now a review of this little document. I say little sarcastically. This little document, the Applicant Support Program handbook is out for review. And I am hoping we will do this together because the timeline, it's closing on April 2nd. Wow. That's soon. And what it says, what ICANN has said is that they want to know whether the questions reflect the policy recommendations of Section 17.

And what I want to know is something different is whether the groups we just talked about can read this and understand it and respond to it. Is it clear? Is it understandable? Is it approachable? Is it accessible? And then can you do it? In the first round, the handbook was so complex, so difficult and required so much financial disclosure in a very American way and also so much understanding of the New gTLD program. It was practically inaccessible. I have to tell you on first read of this, Sam, this is really hard too. Please.

SAM LANFRANCO:

Yeah. That's going to be about as simple as it can get. There are glitches and so forth. But the whole notion of communications and outreach has to be central to this. I mean, even my proposal is that we have to do outreach. I'll give you an example of how complicated it can be. There's an organization called the Inuit Circumpolar Council. It's all of the Inuit organizations all around the North Pole, in every country. They have a website, it's a .com. Okay. The individual groups in different countries are on country domain names, ccTLDs, they're on org.org, they're whatever.

Some people have talked to them about, "Why don't you go for a .inuit?" And they go, "It's too complicated." We're happy in Canada being .ca regions, whatever, so forth. So, even there, somebody's going to have to sell them a business case. I don't mean business-business, but business case. They're not sitting out there just waiting to jump at the opportunity.

KATHY KLEINMAN: So, I understand my time is now limited. Thank you for the time check. We had a volunteer yesterday. I will let him reveal himself, who volunteered to coordinate our input on this.

BOLUTIFE ADISA: Okay. It's Bolutife for the record, and I am the volunteer. Questions?

KATHY KLEINMAN: And let's all work with you to create something. Maybe you'll do a first review, put something out there, and we can all respond. Thinking about our regions, thinking about the groups we'd most like to apply, how do we make this accessible to them? Thanks. Thank you for the time, thank you for the invitation.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Thank you, Kathy. You have, I think, a question over there at the bottom. Tomslin, please?

TOMSLIN SAMME-NLAR: Yes, thanks. Can I go ahead and update the wiki that you are volunteering for this comment?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: So, do you have another question? Please, Emmanuel.

EMMANUEL AGBENONWOSSI: So, my question is, okay, aside the public comment that we'll put together, what kind of outreach NPOC specifically can do to its members? Because we know most of our members are not rich people, they are not-for-profit organization. So, what kind of outreach can we do specifically? Because when I had this question, I look at the NPOC membership. Most of the members, for example, come from Sub-Saharan Africa. They don't speak English. So, what kind of outreach can we do to organizations so that they are able to apply on equal footing with organizations in North America, for example?

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Do you want to answer that? I have another question in the chat. Okay. Yeah, I think that the outreach we need to do is not just us, maybe it's just something at NCSG level. Because we are representing the non-commercial interests, right? So, in this case, we need to work together to do this kind of outreach in this topic itself. Yeah, Tomslin?

TOMSLIN SAMME-NLAR: I was just thinking maybe there is opportunity to work with the GSE to get this information out there in the various regions of whether it's-- I know NCSG itself is not regional, but NCUC, for example, has regional presence. We work together as a team and with GSC, to get the information as much as possible to the groups that we think we are advocating for to apply.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Thank you very much, Tomslin. Bolutife?

BOLUTIFE ADISA: Yeah, my question is, so the last session we had with ALAC, I kind of heard in passing that part of the Applicant Support Program would include some form of business plan training for the applicants, and I wasn't sure at what point does it come. This business so-called training for the people who would apply, does it come before the application is submitted or maybe afterwards? Because we have to consider that as well.

KATHY KLEINMAN: It's a very good question. So, this is part of that extra, this is part of that 17.2 extra help that we're talking about, is you have to have a business plan for a New gTLD to be a registry, to be a successful, sustainable registry. It's after this application and before the next application is the answer. So, if you get into the Applicant Support Program, ALAC and NCSG have worked together to really push ICANN to offer this business legal and technical training. So, if you're in the Applicant Support Program, you'll be eligible for taking it. A lot of it will probably be online. And then you'll take that and that will help you to prepare your New gTLD application. So, two applications, one to get into the Applicant Support Program, the ASP that they're always talking about, and then the other to write the application itself. Thanks for asking. Great question.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: I'm sorry, I have one Zoom hand before. So, Julf, please.

JULF HELSINGIUS: Thank you. Julf speaking. Yeah. My concern is that, yes, I think we really support legal training and technical training and sort of bringing people up to speed. I think where ALAC and we maybe differ is that they might have an interest in actually developing a domain business in underdeveloped areas and stuff like that. What I'm saying is for non-commercials, I don't think business training is really what we are interested in.

KATHY KLEINMAN: But you still have to have-- You're still going into the business of being a registry, whether you're commercial or non-commercial. You're going to be selling domain names like .org does, and .org is non-profit. Disclaimer, I'm on the board of the Public Interest Registry. So, I'm thinking of it more like that, but you're right, the business term can be a little misleading. And ALAC may have other plans as well, but that's what we're thinking is how do you become a successful registry. At least when I say business, that's what I mean.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Excuse me. We are going to have one more question because we need to move on. So, Sam, please.

SAM LANFRANCO: Yeah. The challenge here is to identify the candidate that can move into the applicant support stage. At the GNSO meetings, there are people sitting around that table who've done this 50 times and are prepared to

do it for free if the right people get in that channel. But we have to get the right people at this point who go for the Applicant Support Program. That's the big challenge. All this other stuff will actually be easier. Maybe not the money part, but in terms of the expertise, a lot of it is out there. And I've talked to people, and they say, yes, I'll do it. I'll do it for almost nothing.

KATHY KLEINMAN: Yeah, but will they do it if there's 100 people in the Applicant Support Program? So pro bono help is sometimes worth what you pay for.

JULF HELSINGIUS: So, can I ask people to actually be on Zoom so they can raise their hand in Zoom room?

BENJAMIN AKINMOYEJE: Good morning. My name is Benjamin. I'm speaking for myself. I just wanted to ask, I know that the applicant support time is still further ahead, but there's this application, this grant. Is it possible that we use the-- Maybe there's a community group or whatever that can apply for grants to train these kinds of people we're talking about to be able to be eligible for the applicant support requirement. If there's something we could do, the community can do as nonprofit to champion that. I'm just thinking.

Because there's some funds that they're looking for capacity building in the ICANN grant program. And I'm thinking, is it possible that we maybe get that going to get some mechanism to apply for the grant application

to prepare the kind of people Emmanuel is talking about to be capacitated, to be eligible, to understand the applicant support and all of them be ready to operate a nonprofit gTLD in the future? Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Thank you.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Thank you, Benjamin. I said that we will receive one question more because we need to move on. So, I'm sorry, Stephanie, it's a question or it's a comment do you want to do?

STEPHANIE PERRIN: It's a clarification on Ben's comment.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Okay. Yeah, please go ahead and we will move on after Stephanie's comment.

STEPHANIE PERRIN: Stephanie Perrin for the record. I just wanted to say I think that's a great idea from Ben. My question would be if we put a whole lot of effort preparing a grant application under the grants program and they determined that it is duplicative of what's already going on at ICANN, which is one of the criteria. And I suspect that that might be the case. Kathy knows the Applicant Support Program better than me, but we've only got limited energy to put these things together that take a lot of work. Thanks.

KATHY KLEINMAN: Thanks, Stephanie. My quick response is it is certainly worth exploring because we don't want to be duplicative, but we also don't know what ICANN's providing. And we know ICANN wants our support in terms of by the way of marketing and outreach. It's critical as everyone else has said.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Okay. Thank you, everyone. I think this is a very informative session, but we need to move on. So, please give welcome to my dear friend, Matthias, here. He's from SSAC, Security and Stability Advisory Committee. And we will be talking about this domain name for private use. So, Matthias, the floor is yours.

MATTHIAS HUDONIK: Yeah, Matthias Hudonik speaking. Thanks a lot for inviting me. Great pleasure. I have no slides. I apologize. But because I thought we have a bit of a discussion in general. So, as you said, I will talk about the SSAC 113 advice. It's the report. So, it's about like the use of, or the private use of TLDs. And I would also highly recommend you to have a quick look into it. The report contains a number of use cases for private use TLDs. For example like .home, .corp, .mail, .internal. And the idea is to reserve a private string for these TLDs.

So, in this report, when you have a look, the SSAC recommends that the ICANN Board ensures a string which is identified using the criteria specified in this section. I will come to the criteria in a minute. And this should be reserved at the top level for the private use. And this particular string must never be delegated. And the criteria are, or the

SSAC proposed the following criteria for the selection of the string. It should be a valid DNS label. It should be not already delegated in the root zone. And it is not confusingly similar to another TLD in existence. And the last point is also that it's relatively short and should be also memorable label and meaningful, of course, which makes sense.

And then there is now also the public comment for .internal. So, the IANA has made a provisional determination that .internal should be reserved for the private use and also for internal network applications. And prior to this review and approval of this reservation by the ICANN Board, we are seeking feedback on whether the selection complies with the specified procedure from the SAC 113 report and any other observations that this string would be an inappropriate selection for this purpose.

And so, what implication does it have for end users? So, the potential benefits are improved security through clear differentiation between public and private namespace. Then also reduced risk of name collision with potential gTLDs. This will also enhance user trust, reliability in also navigating the internet. And in a nutshell, the potential challenges are user may not be aware of .internal or the readability to adopt it could be also a problem and also leading to potential confusion or continued use of non-designated domains.

And here also again, SSAC and ALAC also plays a role. As you know, the SSAC provides the technical expertise and guidance for the implementation of security implications. And the idea also of ALAC or also you guys, you are advocating for end user interest, focusing on usability, accessibility and also awareness, which is very important.

And yeah. This would be the start for a discussion with you or for some questions. So, I definitely recommend you to have a look at the report. And also, maybe all of you are aware you're using like routers at home. So, the idea would be, it's very similar to when you configure a router. You have private IP addresses, like for example, 192.6.8. whatever. And this would be similar to a .internal domain, for example.

So, the idea would be that you can really use this private string for these purposes. But I also need to say at the end, it's again quite technical. So, that you can really apply this, you need to be kind of a sysadmin, or you need to be quite tech savvy at the end. So, that's why, yeah, it's definitely not something which is like, yeah, just for let's say, it depends how savvy you are. Thanks.

CALEB OGUNDELE:

Thank you. So, luckily for us, just before you came in, we were just giving some of the conversations we had about this with ALAC, just to get their feedback. And part of the reasons why we invited you was to also help us shed more light so that we can have more information. And I believe that some interesting people in the room would like to have more information. And so, I'll first of all yield to Julf and then Tomslin by the order of Zoom. Yeah, the way it is on Zoom. Over to you, Julf. Julf is first.

JULF HELSINGIUS:

Thank you. Julf speaking. And thank you for being here and actually talking about this. It's really good to have somebody who can answer questions directly. I appreciate that. So, just to clarify, if I understand

this correctly, this is something that I can-- I can, not ICANN. If I think I'm technically sophisticated enough, I can just go and do on my own network without having to involve any external entities, because there's no delegation or anything. I just start using this internally. And so, I don't have to pay anyone. I don't have to tell anyone. I just start using it internally. Am I correct?

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yeah.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Tomslin, please.

TOMSLIN SAMME-NLAR: Yeah, I think I was going to ask a similar question about that, because I was thinking cost, cost, cost. So, delegation that you've clarified that any sysadmin, which I would love to do at my home, can use this. So, I haven't read the document yet. There is no sort of central management then of that domain. It's just that anyone just configures it the way they wish to. And the paper simply just ensures that the internet community understands that that domain is reserved for private internet users. Is that correct?

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: Matthias is speaking. Yeah, so exactly. So, the idea is really that you have a string which is reserved at the top level for a private use. So, similar, that's why I try to make the comparison with the router. So,

when you have a router and you configure it, you have very often the IP address like 192.68. whatever. And this is a space and support the need for a private network with the explicit understanding that their use is not supported on the public internet.

And this would be kind of, yeah, the idea of this private string. So, for example, many home routers and devices ship with a default LAN IP address, as I said, and user expect to work out of the box. So, as I said, this IP address I mentioned before. And yeah, with this string, this would be also the idea to have a private used TLD at the end.

TOMSLIN SAMME-NLAR: Thanks, Caleb, for letting me. Just a quick follow-up question. Again, forgive me because I haven't read the paper. Would this lead to an RFC or it would just be a standalone document just within ICANN?

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: So, actually, I think the whole thing started off in the IETF in 2017 with .internet TLD. So, you can check it. It was then brought to ICANN and SSAC. And then, from this, this was like the foundation for this SSAC advice.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yeah. Just to provide some additional information to that. The RFC that you're referencing provided lots of different string names from IETF, and then it was then brought to ICANN. And then they wanted something that people can understand, that is memorable, that they can refer to and all of that. But that's just to answer that. But the follow-

up question that I have is a follow up from what Julf asked. Is the system admin right? He can configure his network, right? What about the not-for-profit who can afford to go hire the system admin?

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: My answer would be the same. It's like same with the router. At the end, you buy the product. And then this space or this address, IP address space is reserved. And then you need to be able to configure it. At the end, it's like you can use this. The idea is really to use it privately. And that's it. And then, of course, it depends on the user if you have the capabilities to administrate. It would be the same, again, if you compare it, would be the same, yeah, if you want to configure a router in your-- Or to use the router, practically speaking, you need to be able to configure it at some point. But it's also not too hard. I mean, it depends, of course, on your skills. But, yeah, the idea is really to have this private string. And then, yeah, there are pros and cons, I mean.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Thank you. I have Julf, your hand is raising up.

JULF HELSINGIUS: Thank you. So, continuing on that thread, just to clarify. Of course, this is something that you don't have to use. I mean, if you don't have the capabilities to use it, you'd also, there's no need for using it. You can keep using the internet as you have all the time. It won't affect you unless you want to use it. And, of course, it could be that in the future, your router manufacturer or whoever incorporates it in the standard

configuration in your router, then you don't have to care about it at all anyway. Thank you.

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: Yeah. Thank you. That's a very good, important point. So, at the end, yeah, you can use it or there might be an option to use it, but nobody force you to use it.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Okay. Anyone else? Yeah, Tapani.

TAPANI TARVAINEN: I'm just wondering if there should be some guidelines on how it should or should not be used. Particular thinking, say, may router manufacturers that it doesn't by default. If you buy two routers from different manufacturers in the same internal network, that they will conflict or whatever. So, that's not something you can regulate, but guidelines might be appropriate for different uses.

CALEB OGUNDELE: I think there is something on name collision currently going on. I haven't read so much about it, but I think there's something about name collision going on around that speaks to that question that you talked about. I haven't read, but I think it's something that should be of interest that we should take a look at.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Okay. Thank you very much. No more? Any questions, comments? No? Okay. So, according to our chat, this topic has been spreading to across several RFC, and we maybe should go in deeper if we want to have interest on do a comment on this. Also, remember that this is a public comment. Open it. So, if we have something else to add say in this topic, we can do it through a comment from this. So, thank you, Matthias, for being here. If you want to say something to us to close up this part of the meeting.

MATTHIAS HUDOBNIK: Thanks a lot for your interest, for having me here. And I think also it would make sense maybe to talk also with At-Large community and think about some further maybe potential implications. I mean, I think from an end user perspective, this is not directly related now to the public comment, but of course as mentioned some user guidelines or so on top of this which will help the end user to more easily understand the things or how to configure it. I think that's always good. I mean, it's not totally related to the .internal thing. It would be just something additional, but I think it's always very helpful to have this kind of things because everything which brings some guidelines or some understanding will help. That's a very good idea. Thanks.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Thank you again, Matthias. Sorry, I was doing things. Okay. So, we have three minutes left in our meeting. And so, the only topic we haven't talked yet, it's about our administrative matters that we had in our regular meetings. So, I think that you can do it in one, two minutes, Bolutife, or do you need a lot more time? What do you think?

BOLUTIFE ADISA:

Yeah, I could do a quick summary. I think I would just focus on some of the action items that we had from our last meeting. We got an update from Emmanuel regarding important policy topics that were highlighted, especially going into the ICANN79 meeting. I think, yeah, Emmanuel said he was going to share a list of policy attention with NPOC members, which I think he did already. Also, the NCSG called for, yeah, the NCSG called for volunteers to contribute to the name collision analysis project. I think that was also part of the action items that we discussed the last meeting. Also, for the FY25, financial year 2025 plan, that was also an open public comment which we decided to talk about.

Then, yeah, I think the other one would be one suggestion on how to highlight some of these policy topics and to highlight the impact on our members such that we are able to properly connect and communicate some of these topics with them and pick their interests in order to contribute to these topics as well. So, I think you suggested a method whereby we can link it to what they do. Another action item was the need to update NPOC information on the official ICANN website. I think Jean-Francois raised that in the last meeting. I don't know if we've addressed that yet.

And then there was a question for us to have information on the website for what our members do. Just a little information about the organization and what they do, and that's also an action item. And yeah, other than that, there was more of the planning. And also, we discussed the possibility of joining hands with the NCUC for the issue

forum. Yeah. So, I'll give the floor back to you, Juan, to see whether we've been able touch on these topics.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Thank you, Bolutife. I think that that's all for this meeting. We are one minute after. So, thank you everyone for being here. It was a great session. So, thank you everyone, and see you soon, I think.

ANDREA GLANDON: You can stop the recording.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]