
ICANN79 | CF – ccNSO: Technical Working Group Work Session
Sunday, March 3, 2024 – 1:15 to 2:30 SJU

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Hello, and welcome to the ccNSO Technical Working Group session. My name is Claudia Ruiz. I, along with my colleague, Kimberly Carlson, are the remote participation managers for this session. Please note this session is being recorded and is governed by the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior.

During the session, questions or comments submitted in chat will be read aloud if put in the proper form as noted. If you would like to speak during the session, please raise your hand in Zoom. Once called upon, virtual participants will unmute in Zoom. Onsite participants will use the physical microphone to speak and should leave their Zoom microphones disconnected. For the benefit of other participants, please state your name for the record and speak at a reasonable pace. You may access all available features for this session in the Zoom toolbar.

Thank you. And with that, I will now hand the floor over to Dr. Eberhard Lisse, chair of the Technical Working Group. Thank you.

EBERHARD LISSE:

Good afternoon, everybody. For our spectators, this is not Tech Day. This is the Internal Technical Working Group. It's technically a closed session, but if you want to be bored, you're more than welcome to.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Our agenda is put up. We have two main items. One thing is that we have changed our way of handling proposals or requests for presentations. We have used the ICANN Confluence mechanism and we want to evaluate how this worked. Actually, because I don't think it worked very well, we need to discuss how we get this improved, and I have an idea about how to do that.

Then we will, as usual, go through the agenda. Jacques has suggested we should have moderators for each block. We can discuss it and we take them volunteers. Preferably people who are present can volunteer. I'm looking at Jacques. Then we need to decide who does the closing remark. Usually, that involves a bit of note taking, and I then usually like to take those notes and forge them into a little report.

Then there is Any Other Business. For Any Other Business is that basically, I have two items. One is that Jothan Frakes told me that the GNSO having starting to have a similar technical group. And so I'm going to start liaising with him whether we should not, for example, have one of us sit in their meetings, and one of them sit in our meetings or so on. Or also be put on the mailing list or somehow so that there is some synergy, because we are well-established and we don't want to have these silos. The more people we reach, the better. A technical working group, yes.

The other thing is that I think Ondrej's term as vice chair expires this year. We have had this staggered by one, two, three years. That means after this meeting, I will send out to the internalist request for proposals, whether he wants to stand or whether anybody else wants to stand. Then we have the usual procedure if there is one candidate,

then is elected by default. If not, we have an election. How we do the election, I don't know. We can probably use the ICANN election mechanism and figure this out. It's not a drama. We can also do this by show of hands. But if ICANN has a mechanism, we can use that if there is more than one candidate.

As far as handling of proposals, Jacques suggested last time that we write them into a Confluence table. He worked with Kim, and I worked with Kim, and we're showing the Confluence. So we designed a little spreadsheet, and I asked every presenter to give us a 10-line abstract. I find it very difficult that most presenters can't count to 10. But on the Confluence, it's okay. I want short abstracts so that I know what it is about. And then also I can use this as far as introduction goes when we introduce the speakers, I remember what they were going to talk about.

The first two are presentations from Webunited, which I think are pure marketing. And as it turns out, the majority of participants were not interested in giving them an opportunity. If it had sounded really technical, I would have probably be more inclined. But we have had a lot of blockchains things so far. And my understanding is this is a new company coming up, so they're obviously interested in presenting themselves. We had enough topics as well. If, for example, we were looking for topics, I would have said maybe we can look at one and tell them it's for technical audience. And I have in the past allowed a little bit of marketing. And if it becomes too marketing, I would rein them in during the presentation. But as it turned out, we didn't take them.

The presentations are listed. Now, the next one is from Mark. I'm not going to read them off the screen. It's just one. The point here is that we found it difficult to edit access to the Confluence system. So what my proposal is that everybody could read access as far as I understand it, but the edit access was a bit of a problem. So my proposal is that we make a list, and then Kim goes through the list with each member of the workgroup and makes one-on-one sure that they have got edit access. So that when we then collect the next presentations, anybody can tell us what they think about it. The collecting of the presentations with the abstracts is helpful because it puts it all in one space and one doesn't overlook and one can look at how long one thing they are going to present, and then fit that into the existing schedule.

I think we have all seen the agenda. We have all looked at it so I'm not going to go through this. I'm going to go to the agenda a little bit later. We basically had to design a little spreadsheet. In the last column, everybody would be able to—Jacques Latour?

JACQUES LATOUR:

Well, it's the first time we do this and it worked well. It gives us better visibility on the presentation. We should probably think of doing a meeting, the committee, a quick Zoom, maybe half an hour, and just review the presentation to make sure which one are—the sizing, the duration. I don't think we spend enough time trying to figure out if 20 minutes is enough or not based on the talker and discussion like that. So having one meeting before the ICANN meeting, review this and make sure we're all in sync. That'd be useful.

EBERHARD LISSE:

We can do that, but it's difficult to get people together. Different time zones. And we have this confluencing so everybody can... Kim, who can read the Confluence? Only us, the members of the working group. Because if we put in comments, I want this to be offline that no third parties can read—in the last comment, we can make our own decisions without being read. The timing is usually either a short one or 20-minute or, let's say, a 60-minute. It also depends on our block schedule because sometimes we have got uneven 75 minutes or 65 minutes. So it's sometimes a little bit difficult to change. We also then need to look at where the presenters are coming from if they are remotely because we want to have the time zones in which they're presented a little bit respected. And that makes it difficult to create topic blocks.

I'm not opposed to Zoom meetings. I'm a pensioner and I have got time for these things. But what I would prefer is before we do a Zoom meeting, not saying that we don't, that everybody who has an interest in the matter should put in whether he should take it or not. Generally speaking, we take 20 minutes. The roundtable is 60 to 75, depending on the block size. We have got one or two presentations. One is an introduction of the new SSAC chairs, which is 10 to 15 minutes. And then we have got a presentation which I liked very much, but which isn't ripe yet about digital imaging and certification. In addition to that, I like this topic from my own past. It comes from the Red Cross, which, me as a medical officer, a medical doctor, was interested.

The other thing is that we had in the Costa Rica Tech Day an extremely interesting presentation from Professor Moreno from .pr about digital watermarking of images and videos. We have talked about this. The

interesting thing is that digital watermarking of images is not a big drama, but of videos, is interesting because you want to not only have authentication, but also that it is not edited. We see this AI and whatnot and deep fakes and so on. This is actually quite a pertinent topic. So I convinced Allison Mankin and Woody from PCH to at least give a short intro. Then when they have this further developed to go into the more details, they are using DNS and DANE and so on so it's quite pertinent for us. Can we start with Block 1, please?

NICKLAS POUSETTE: I agree with Jacques. I think a Zoom call would be—

EBERHARD LISSE: Identify yourself.

NICKLAS POUSETTE: This is Nicklas Pousette from .SE. I agree with Jacques. I think a Zoom call would be great to finalize our agenda before we get to the next ICANN meeting. I agree with Eberhard. I just commented in the Confluence page before that Zoom call. We can make it short and clear.

EBERHARD LISSE: Brett?

BRETT CARR: I agree. I think a Zoom call would be useful. At least, let's try it and see if it's useful. The other thing I wanted to mention is I think the

Confluence thing went really, really well when I finally got access to it. That was the issue. That was quite a home to get access to. Once I did, yes, it was all good. One of the things—I think it was me who started doing it—was I put a mark out of 10 against each one. I think trying to implement that to get everybody to do that will help if you have too many talks and you can prioritize things, which we can do on the Zoom call.

EBERHARD LISSE:

Well, as I said, I don't mind the Zoom call, but I want the things on the Confluence so that we have something to depart from. If the participation on the Zoom call is not wide, then we still have got the thing. We can set up a call on the mailing list for what the most convenient time would be. Maybe in the middle of European time would be the best because we have got one from India and most are Europeans and a few from Canada so that we sort of reach everybody without having to get up early or stay late. We can look at that. But the exact timing for me doesn't matter. Nicklas?

NICKLAUS POUSETTE:

Wouldn't it be good to have a calendar with clear cut-off day or proposals and presentations to be distributed in time for the meeting?

EBERHARD LISSE:

My cut-off day is usually when the calendar is full. If you see there is a cut-off date, it often happens that we have still open slots. Internally, we can say, "Okay, a week or 10 days before we discuss it, and then

we'll see what we take, what we don't take. If we are full, we are full. If we are not full, we can still send out a call for further presentations.”

NICKLAUS POUSETTE: Couldn't that be handled with pushing the things harder to make people to—

EBERHARD LISSE: You can push as hard as you wanted.

NICKLAUS POUSETTE: I mean, if we do it together in some way.

EBERHARD LISSE: But the point is also we need to live off the people who are coming to ICANN meetings. I do not believe that we should formalize these things too much if it works out without doing it. We can always decide during the Zoom call what we take if we have got more presentations, and we can then either say, “Okay, this is not suitable like the first two presentations.” Or we can say, “We take a rain check. Can you present on the next meeting?”

NICKLAUS POUSETTE: But can we work on how to build a bulk presentation to choose among in some way? Is that—

EBERHARD LISSE: I don't understand what you're trying to say.

NICKLAUS POUSETTE: Can we get more proposals to choose among to get a high quality of Tech Day is my idea.

EBERHARD LISSE: We post to the ccNSO list, to the GNSO list, to the AfrICANN list. Then there is not one body, ISP association, which is not a mailing list. We have got more mailing lists that you want to post to, let me know, we do that. But we are posting to all the common lists that we at least we know. If you have got more information or if there's a center list you want to post, give me the mailing list. If they let me post to it or I must then join the mailing list that I am allowed to post to it, and if we put advertising like this on the mailing list, that can get us kicked off as well. But the more people we reach, the better. We usually have a full house, so I don't think we are really having a problem there. Ondrej?

ONDREJ FILIP: I was just thinking maybe there's more theoretical. That if you set an exact date, some people motivate that more. I'm not saying we have a better agenda, but maybe we could have a little bit more presentation proposals so we could choose for more. I'm fine either way. And also plus one to the Zoom call before the meeting.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Just to expand on the timelines and the cut-off dates, is there a possibility that there can be a cut-off when the final agenda is produced, so the Zoom call will have to be that week? Because I think

a lot of times, travel depends on whether somebody is presenting at Tech Day or not. So it would be nice to have that final agenda two weeks ahead of time, three weeks ahead of time?

EBERHARD LISSE:

I find that some presenters need much more than just a week or two. Basically, many of the presenters are coming to ICANN meetings, and then we can ask them easily. But if, for example, a researcher, we have Maciej from Institute of Grenoble, he has to organize his trip and things. So the earlier we can accept the proposal, the better. That was one of the reasons why we did it up to now so that we decided that we said, “Okay, we like this, we take it.” And we didn’t do it according to a fixed timeframe when we decided. If we liked the topic, we took it. And if more than one or two people said, “No, we don’t like it,” we rejected it.

I’m not against at all. My experience is that it might not work out. Maybe we should do both together in a way. But the more mailing lists we can access, the more presentations we get, the more we have of the Confluence, the more we can choose from, and then we can choose according to what’s available as far as time is concerned. I don’t like to give back blocks that are offered to us occasionally. It is so that we can’t fill the last block, but I generally want all the blocks that we can get.

JACQUES LATOUR:

I think what we should do is in the Confluence page to have the Planning page to add the timing in there and work our way, “The final

agenda we want by this date. A week before we want to have the call. A week before...” So that gives us a structure to follow.

EBERHARD LISSE: And if we have enough topics. We can say, internally, we have got enough topics to talk about. Let’s schedule a Zoom call and then we’re done with it. Let’s put it like this. We will be flexible in our deadlines.

NICKLAUS POUSETTE: Isn’t that a way of working in the DNSSEC workshop thing? That’s something that we can look at.

JACQUES LATOUR: There’s two extremes. There’s us here, which we have the strict minimum. DNSSEC workshop is an hour a week all year round. Then there’s a lot of work. So it’s completely different, except the framework is similar. We have a set list of e-mail groups we want to reach out for the call for presentation. And then we do two rounds of call for presentation. We do the same thing here. You do the same thing.

EBERHARD LISSE: Then we often get requests channeled from the ccNSO where ccTLDs ask for a presentation, which is not suitable for the general thing. They then get channeled to us. I think we should be flexible. I would like to have these things finalized as early as possible that we’re done with and it’s easier for staff to organize it. But my problem is what I don’t want to have is that we have half an agenda and then we have a

deadline and we can't really... We can always tell the presenter, "Sorry, agenda is full. Please feel free to submit for the next time." Or if we like the topic, we can already say, "Okay, we'll take it for the next one," and write it's a leftover. Good. Then let's go through the—

JACQUES LATOUR:

In the call for paper, the call for presentation, we have a set date in there for the DNSSEC Workshop that we work our way back for "This is the maximum date for CFP." And then we put the agenda. We could find a date.

EBERHARD LISSE:

I have usually left the date out. If we didn't have enough topics, I send a second call or a third call. As I said, we can be flexible. We shouldn't constrain ourselves on something that may be counterproductive.

Okay. Then let's look at the agenda for the Tech Day. Okay. Usual opening remarks by myself. Then last time, I was speaking with the LACTLD. They have gotten Anycast cloud. And since we're in the right jurisdiction now, it's a good idea to maybe have them talk about it. Rocio de la Fuente is going to be [inaudible] going to make the actual presentation.

Then Dmitry from the .ukraine, they switched their migration signer. They migrated the signer to not. And he said he has got some interesting reports. So that's always a good, interesting topic.

This is an ICANN presentation I haven't got the abbreviation now down offline, but we all agreed that we wanted to have it. What was it again? Can you switch to the—

BRETT CARR: It's registry systems testing for [new gTLD] testing.

EBERHARD LISSE: Yes, registry system testing. Then we have got several presentations about DNS data collections. One is from—the next one? Then we were asked as the two SSR chairs were to be introduced or introduced themselves. So we give them a little bit. What does DAAR stand for again?

BRETT CARR: Domain Abuse Automated something.

EBERHARD LISSE: It's also an ICANN initiative and they asked us to present. So they're usually quite well disposed. Then Timo Vohmar from .EE.

BRETT CARR: It's Domain Abuse Activity Reporting.

EBERHARD LISSE: Sorry?

JACQUES LATOUR: The report is always delivered three months late. For January, we will get it in April.

EBERHARD LISSE: But she will present this as an ICANN initiative and we always give opportunity.

BRETT CARR: It's a he, just so you know.

EBERHARD LISSE: It's a he? Sounded like a she. Okay, he. Then Timo Vohmar will speak about the Estonian Electronic ID, which is a cool thing. I've got one of those. This is a little ID card that you get even if you're not a national. You have to go to one of the nearest embassies of Estonia so that the border guard sitting at the front hands it over against finger printing and things, which allows you in Estonia to register a business to pay your taxes and so on. Estonia is after independence from the USSR and very computerized very early. They have got a lot of digital administration, digital governance. They have got this—I'll bring the card with next time and show it as an introduction. They have regular Zoom sessions once a month about attracting business and so on so forth for small medium enterprises. And they use all electronic ID for nationals to do their own thing, but also for foreigners. For example, I assume, if you want to register a domain in .EE, you have to identify yourselves in many jurisdictions. You have to. And here, you can do this business.

Then another thing about DNNSEC Capture, Farooq is—I don't know what TLD he's from. It's going to be a remote presentation, Kim? He will be remote, yes. Then we have another of the mandated breaks. Next page, please.

Then we have a roundtable that Michael Palage and Jacques Latour instigated. You have the floor.

JACQUES LATOUR:

It's a talk on eID, which is electronic ID for registrant verification. Then different ccs are doing it differently. We're going to talk about an approach, a discussion with the audience on what their take is on the different technology because some are using like MojoID or we have digital credential like electronic driver's license or passport. There are different ways of doing this. We want to have a discussion. We're going to present our stuff quickly, but we want to have an open discussion to see what do we need to do to verify registrant electronically? With all the deep fake and all the fraud, there's no way you can detect a copy of a passport when they fax it to us, from a fake to a real one. A human can't detect fake credentials anymore. So what do we do? That's the discussion.

EBERHARD LISSE:

Increase the price. Make it unattractive.

JACQUES LATOUR:

There we go.

EBERHARD LISSE:

Okay. That's a full hour and we can go into the break. We're not going to cancel the discussion just because of the break. We can sort of slide into the break a little bit.

Then we always ask for a host presentation. I have mentioned to Pablo that we are talking about this digital credentials, digital emblems. I mentioned Professor Moreno's presentation. He is not involved in that research group but he will think about it. My plan was if Mankin is here to bring them together, whether they can help each other.

Then Timo Vohmar had proposed a presentation about instead of doing drop catching, why not auction off all recently expired domains, whether that wouldn't be fairer, it would obviously be fairer to the registry or the cash flow. But the technical aspects on how to do this is maybe interesting. If it can raise cash flow for smaller registries, I'm all for it. We are not going to do it but others might benefit from it.

Then another, Domain Abuse Measurement, Bedser is from NetActuate. NetActuate is one of the anycast providers that are willing to provide free anycast to small ccTLDs. We use them and we are very happy with them, so when they offered topic, I'm not automatically alienated by asking. As you know, I like to give entities that offer free services to small ccTLDs such as LACNIC and so on an opportunity to explain themselves and to give us interesting presentations.

Then as I said, Allison Mankin, Woodcock—

BRETT CARR:

I think you might be mistaken. I don't think Jeff works for NetActuate. He doesn't work for NetActuate, he works for CleanDNS.

EBERHARD LISSE: Then I mixed them up.

BRETT CARR: It's Mark.

EBERHARD LISSE: Mark, the earlier one. Sorry, I mixed them up.

REGIS MASSE: He's the CEO of CleanDNS system.

EBERHARD LISSE: CleanDNS is also a non-profit, if I'm not mistaken.

REGIS MASSE: No, not sure.

EBERHARD LISSE: They are for profit, okay. But in any case, measuring domain abuse is going to be an interesting topic. So my remarks, it wouldn't be Mark Price, the one from NetActuate, would then refer to him.

Then Bill Woodcock from PCH mentioned that they're doing work originated or started by or commissioned by the Red Cross about how to use DNS and DANE and other measurements for authenticating digital emblems. He mentioned as an example which is not out of this world anymore. For example, if a drone flies around, that it could

recognize which car is an ambulance and things like this and is now non-combatant and so on. The Red Cross apparently approaches from this aspect. She then was reluctant when they figured out that she has to do a 20-minute presentation. She was reluctant because the work is not far yet. But I like the idea and as I said, my own history as a medical practitioner or medical officer when I was younger in the Army is quite interested, and we have had previous presentations as I just said here before. So it might be a good idea to tell us what they're working on. Again, PCH offers free service to the ccTLD so it's always good to expose them.

Then we must find a note taker. Ondrej will take the notes. Thank you very much. And you will do the closing remarks. Now the other question is whether you want a moderator for each block or whether we do it the way we have always done it? If we want a moderator for each block, please feel free to volunteer.

BRETT CARR: Can we define what we mean by moderate?

EBERHARD LISSE: Jacques, it's your brainchild. Please, let us know. Over the microphone, please.

JACQUES LATOUR: So instead of having Eberhard to present all day long, we have different members of the committee that attend each of the block and they present the presenters and do stuff.

BRETT CARR: In a similar way to DNS-OARC?

JACQUES LATOUR: Very similar.

BRETT CARR: A different person presenting each session?

JACQUES LATOUR: The same thing as the DNSSEC Workshop.

BRETT CARR: I'd be happy to do one of these sessions.

NICKLAS POUSETTE: I can do one as well. I support the idea.

EBERHARD LISSE: We have got four sessions, Block 2 to 5.

JACQUES LATOUR: Michael will do one.

EBERHARD LISSE: Michael do one, Brett does one, Niklas does one, and you do the note so you're excused. And Jacque's brainchild, so you do the other one.

JACQUES LATOUR: I can do one.

EBERHARD LISSE: Well, you're also on the panel, but if there's anybody who is very keen. Okay, let's take Regis. You could actually introduce the roundtable then.

JACQUES LATOUR: I'll do that.

BRETT CARR: You're still doing one, Eberhard. Because we don't want to push you out of it.

JACQUES LATOUR: Do the first one.

EBERHARD LISSE: I'll open the remarks and the block moderator would then call up the next presenter always. And I will then call them to order if you're running out of time. Good. Let's do that. Please sort out among yourselves who is doing who so that we can maybe add it to the agenda on the Block 2 moderator and send the agenda out for presentation. Can I have that by tonight, please? Which one of you wants to do which one? You do the roundtable. Who wants to do Block 2?

BRETT CARR: I'll do Block 2.

EBERHARD LISSE: Okay. Can somebody write this quickly down? And then who does Block 3?

NICKLAS POUSETTE: I can do it.

EBERHARD LISSE: And then Regis does Block 5.

REGIS MASSE: Okay. It's a small one. That's okay for me.

EBERHARD LISSE: Good. Have all of you read access to the Confluence of the moderators? You can look at the topics beforehand again before you introduce them, that you don't struggle as I did just now.

REGIS MASSE: I have just to see we've came up to the session because I tried to connect to the Confluence, I don't have the right anymore. I don't know why. Perhaps I'm not in this group anymore. You just tell me.

EBERHARD LISSE: But everybody needs to have... Initially, before moderators must have access that you can look through their topics, that you know exactly what's going on.

Okay. Is there anything else? Any other business? As said before, any other business, we need to look at in the interim to the next meeting, we need to have—I think Ondrej's term expires this year? We reelected you last time. Did we reelect you last year? If we reelected him, then you your term is up now and my term is up next year. Okay. I'll ask for a proper call. You were not there when I mentioned it. If there is one volunteer only then there is no election required. If there is more than one, then we will have a formal election, we use the ICANN mechanism for that.

ONDREJ FILIP: I'm happy to continue just for the record.

EBERHARD LISSE: Okay, good. I will second this. If you need another seconder... So it's seconded and motivated. If there is any other, put it on the list as such. And if there is another proposal, feel free to do that.

What was the other one for any other business?

JACQUES LATOUR: Jacques Latour. I guess I got to say my name. If I want to give my role to somebody else, how do we do that? If I wear too many hats.

EBERHARD LISSE: You resign?

JACQUES LATOUR: I resign.

EBERHARD LISSE: Send an e-mail to the list. And then we will call for two vice chairs to be reelected.

JACQUES LATOUR: Okay. I'll be on the committee but not—

EBERHARD LISSE: He would stand for three years and your position would stand for two years.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Is this just because you're too busy?

JACQUES LATOUR: Too busy. Way, way too many things.

EBERHARD LISSE: It's unfortunate, but you have done it for many, many years. And so I'm thanking you very much. It's good we have enough time to put this on. We will then call for two elections separately, one for two years, one for three years. I like this staggering because I want to do next year, I will stand for another three years. And if reelected, that's it then. I will

then be over 70. I will also not really leave the group but I want to also then sort of take on less responsibility. Therefore, it's better we have institutional memory, as they say, we have got. That's also why we have got some structures in place now that we don't depend on individuals.

There was another thing that I had for any other business.

JACQUES LATOUR: Okay. Can you go back to the agenda? Just want to make sure we—

EBERHARD LISSE: The agenda for today? I had two things. I forgot which one. It's not coming. There's nothing there. There nothing in there. That will probably mean it wasn't as relevant. If I remember it, I will raise it on the mailing list.

Okay. There's one thing that I wanted. I have asked Kim for subsequent face-to-face meetings to make it clearer that it is not the Tech Day, that it is technically a closed meeting, even though we welcome people to the board. When we talk about elections or things concerning individuals, then we will clear the rule. I want that we as transparent as possible but as closed as necessary.

BRETT CARR: Why do we call it a closed meeting? If we then allow people to come in? It doesn't really make sense.

EBERHARD LISSE: No. It makes sense in that if it's an open meeting, we cannot ask anybody to leave. But if it is a closed meeting, we are perfectly welcome to take everybody until or if and when we have to close the meeting. Because if we're talking about personal things like election or other issues, that is internally for the group and I do not want to have this public, not only because I want people to be able to say what they think. That would also not be recorded. I also want nobody to be getting on the receiving end of criticism if they speak their mind. But generally speaking, I want everything in a transparent manner. We have one mailing list which is closed, which is only readable by the members, and one which is readable by everybody or archived publicly. And I'm very careful that I post everything that is for public consumption I put on the public list, and things that are not for public consumption I put that internal working list, and I think that's perfectly within the standards of behavior within ICANN that internal business can be handled internally. Jacques?

JACQUES LATOUR: I finally read your mind. It's the GNSO technique.

EBERHARD LISSE: Yes. I mentioned it, Jothan Frakes spoke to me just now. We met in the corridor. The GNSO has got a similar Technical Working Group or something starting or it's starting. So I think it might be a good idea that we say we should exchange members or observers, that one of us sits on their group and one of them sits on our group. It can only mean that we get more to the table.

BRETT CARR: As I now work for a company that runs a load of generic names and don't work for ccTLD anymore, I'll be happy to be the person that sits in their meetings and reports back if you want.

EBERHARD LISSE: We have a volunteer. I will speak with Jothan again. I said that we discussed it, that we have somebody who works for a GNSO contracted party, so to say, who's willing to sit on their side. And they can send somebody and we put them on the mailing list and so on as an observer or like we usually do with the ICANN staff.

ONDREJ FILIP: Do they have plans to run similar things like [inaudible] as well?

EBERHARD LISSE: I have their plans. So far it was just a short discussion. He mentioned what he's doing. So I said, "Look, maybe we should make sure that we are not doing things in parallel, that maybe we could join." He mentioned that we have a wider audience than theirs.

JACQUES LATOUR: I remember way back we talked about merging, making this GNSO all Tech Day for all of our [inaudible]. So if we do two different sessions, it's very similar. They're going to be exactly the same, competing for the same content. I don't see how different—

EBERHARD LISSE: The point is I don't know what's going on. It was a discussion in the corridor. I thought since we're having a face-to-face meeting, I raised it. And I lay the groundwork work that if something comes out of it, that we avoid exactly what you're saying, so that we work in synergy. I don't like the silos at ICANN G and C.

BRETT CARR: It would make much more sense for us to do something together. And certainly, yes, if I sit within them, that'll be my focus in making sure we're not both doing the same thing.

EBERHARD LISSE: As I said, I think Nigel or Stephen was there. It was just a short meet-and-greet in the corridor. I didn't want to let the opportunity pass.

BRETT CARR: This way, we can share the development rather than just let it go its own way, right?

EBERHARD LISSE: As I said, I don't like the silos and we shouldn't duplicate efforts. And we should be in synergy. Because basically, you're a big ccTLD or a big gTLD, you have the same problem. You're small ccTLD or a small gTLD, you have the same problems. Since we have already have solutions on both sides, it might be helpful. Whether a ccTLD is contracted or not, most large ccTLDs abide by the standards of the contracted gTLDs, if only they also are the same run contracted, clearly, but also it makes sense even for smaller ones like us to abide by the best current

practice because it makes it simpler for registrants to give us their money.

All right, anything else from the floor? Good. Then I call this meeting adjourned. Thank you very much, especially our staff.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you. You can now stop the recording.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]