
LOS ANGELES – LACRALO Monthly Meeting
Tuesday, October 14, 2014 – 12:15 to 13:45
ICANN – Los Angeles, USA

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. Good morning, good evening, and good afternoon. Sorry for the delay. We are in LA in ICANN 51 meeting. And this meeting sometimes runs late and we have to wait for our room, so we'll start our meeting on Tuesday the 14th, 2015, some minutes passed the initial time. So now I will give the floor to staff for the roll call. Please, if you can kindly proceed.

UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: So we are going to introduce ourselves, if Dev could please start.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Dev Anand Teelucksingh, ALAC member from Trinidad and Tobago.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Vanda Scartezini from LACRALO.

UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: [Inaudible] I'm the head of [coms?] for Latin America and the Caribbean for ICANN.

RODRIGO SAUCEDO: Rodrigo Saucedo, project manager for Latin American and the Caribbean for ICANN.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. We have interpretation.

RODRIGO DE LA PARRA: This is Rodrigo de la Parra for the record, Vice President for the Latin American and the Caribbean region.

LEON SANCHEZ: Leon Sanchez, ALAC member appointed by the NomCom, and the Secretariat of this meeting, replacing Humberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto, LACRALO chair.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco, ICANN staff.

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella Gruber, ICANN staff.

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: Sylvia Herlein-Leite, [inaudible] Brazil.

UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: I'm not sure why I'm here.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Fatima Cambronero, ALAC member by LACRALO.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much. The agenda for today, we have regional strategy and synergies with LACRALO, with the collaboration with Rodrigo de la Parra, as usual. Thank you very much. The next item on the agenda is capacity building with Sebastien Bachollet, and he will come shortly. Oh, here he is. Welcome Sebastien.

And if I can find the next paper, we will continue the next item on the agenda, is review of action items. Next item on the agenda, together with the reports of the working groups, and this will be reduced because we don't have the representative of the governance working group.

Item number eight, any other business. We will speak about dual [lingo]. So, now I would like to give the floor to Rodrigo de la Parra for him to speak. Thank you.

LEON SANCHEZ: Leon Sanchez speaking. I would like to ask for the approval of the agenda, or see if there is any other business that you would like to add to this agenda. Is the agenda adopted? Okay. So the agenda is adopted. Any other business that you would like to deal with? Okay, Olivier, you have the floor.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Olivier Crépin-Leblond, ALAC Chair. Just wanted to have one minute, please, at the beginning of this meeting just to say a couple of words. Unfortunately, I have to go a meeting now, so I won't have the chance to attend this meeting, but I just need to say a few words if I could.

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. Olivier, go ahead please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. Okay, thank you. I just wanted to say a few words with regards to the activities of the RALO. It's my fourth year as ALAC Chair, and I think that LACRALO today is very different from LACRALO four years ago. In fact, LACRALO, for me, is the most active RALO that we now have. It has got the largest number of members, but that's sometimes a case of well, some members are now active and so on, but LACRALO has the largest number of active members.

It has working groups. It has a lot of different working groups that are having regular calls. And I really hope that the other RALOs in ICANN, who would be able to learn from all of what LACRALO has been achieving in the past few years.

And so I didn't want to take too much time on this, but I think that LACRALO is showing the way, that many RALOs have to deal with, internal discussion groups. Certainly when we have the policy process that takes place at ICANN, on all of the mailing lists, and I see often very strong discussion in LACRALO on the topics that are in the policy development, and it's good to see that, because without that dialogue,

without this sustained activity, we don't have an At-Large community supporting the At-Large advisory committee.

So it's really important, and I thank your leadership and, of course, all the members of LACRALO for being that active. It's very, very much encouraged, and it's acknowledged as well. So thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Olivier. Go ahead please.

RODRIGO DE LA PARRA: This is Rodrigo de la Parra for the records. It's a pleasure to hear these words for our work that we are carrying out in LACRALO, and of course, I also agree with the congratulations. Thank you very much for the invitation to present the updates regarding our regional strategy. And we would like to change, or we have tried to change the title of the presentation, so as to be able to include synergies.

And the synergies that we may have with LACRALO for the implementation of our regional strategy. And in this regard, I would like to introduce some of the team members, perhaps it would be easier for us, but for the remote participants, I would like to introduce them. I have here Alexander [Danes], many of you know her. She is responsible for communications for the Latin America and the Caribbean region.

Leon Sanchez, please, they're telling us that we are not hearing the Adobe Connect. They're not hearing us in the Adobe Connect, so perhaps our technical crew may help us to solve this issues so that remote participants may here us correctly.

LEON SANCHEZ: Leon Sanchez speaking. Since we have little time, we should proceed and in the meantime, they will resolve the technical issue.

RODRIGO DE LA PARRA: Rodrigo de la Parra speaking for the records. Thank you Leon. So I was introducing you, [inaudible], she's based in our engagement center in Montevideo. She is in charge of regional communications. And here with Rodrigo [Salseto], he is responsible for the follow up the implementation of the strategic planning.

I would like to thank you as well, two active members in LACRALO. Those active members in LACRALO that created the strategic planning, and I'm talking about Dev and Fatima. They are still active, but today they lead a very important project, and that is the communications project in coordination with Alex [Danes], and this is so far, one of the pilot, five pilot programs that we have started, and with collaboration of LACRALO members involved with the projects, well, has been very good.

And we would like to see this in the future. Now, we are moving forward to a next phase. We have 35 or 40 additional projects that we need to implement, and we will need your support. Now, I will give the floor to Rodrigo [Salseto] for him to speak about the logistics that we will follow with the project, but I would like to tell you, as well, three important topics in terms of collaboration.

Where I believe we need to keep on working together. These are very concrete points. Number one, how to continue with this link by means of their representative, Fatima and Dev, for the future projects.

Secondly, it has to do with a very particular project similar in nature to the CROPP program. The CROPP program is, implies how to support outreach activities for non-ICANN meetings.

And these projects imply the participation of the GSC participation, and the authorization to travel. We also have similar project in the regional strategy that was implemented before the CROPP program, and we would like to see together with Dev and Fatima and the LACRALO leadership, how to implement this project here. We need to coordinate, and we will be able to provide certainty once we are working on those activities.

And finally, if I may, I would like to give you a regular update regarding the plan by means of webinar or online webinar, for you to keep on updated regarding the different activities, and for us to let you know about the activities we are carrying out. Now, I will give the floor to Rodrigo [inaudible] for him to speak about the plan.

RODRIGO:

Good afternoon. This is Rodrigo [Salsato]. As Rodrigo said before, we have passed the first implementation stage for the five pilot programs. A month and a half ago, we have presented to the community an implementation plan. This implementation plan, basically, deals with the, or groups, the different projects in this strategic planning, under certain categories to facilitate the follow up on orientation.

Another important topic is that it divides the projects of a plan into implementation period. The first period will go from August 2014 to August 2015, and the second period would be June 2015 to June 2016.

The most important part of this implementation plan, is that it establishes a process for implementing or executing the new projects. That is to say, neither should be identified for each project. Working groups should be created, there would be a mailing list, and after that, we will work.

We will create a document for each specific project. That is to say, the, we need to define the project, the objective, the specific objective, the general objectives for the project, a calendar for the execution of this project, and the budget required for the execution of the project. Basically, this would be the implementation plan.

I have already shared with Dev and Fatima and Alberto as well, the different links where you will be able to download the document, the strategic, the regional strategic plan, as well as the implementation plan, for you to share with your communities. And for use to start participating in the execution of the project. Thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking.

RODRIGO DE LA PARRA: Rodrigo de la Parra speaking. I would like to thank you the opportunity for being here. And I don't know, perhaps [inaudible] or Fatima would like to comment about the experience in the communications, but perhaps we have some spare minutes to speak about this.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: This is Fatima for the records. Thank you Rodrigo. I would like to thank Alexander, because she was working very hard, together with Dev and me, and we would like to be at this post for this new face for projects. Those interested in participating, well Dev and I are at your disposal for you to participate and be in contact with that.

The communication process was one of the first pilot programs developed in the region, and this was divided in three big categories or sessions, so as to be able to deal with the project. I would like to thank Natalia Enciso from LACRALO because she was working with us in this communication project, as well as some other members in the region who were involved.

So thank you very much to them all. One of the topics of this communication project, was to gather or create an inventory of all of the materials, existing materials in our region, placed in different places in the ICANN page, in the wiki page. So the idea was to gather this information together, and see the languages, which they were available, and then in a second stage, the translation of those documents into the required languages.

This stage is well advanced, and the idea is to put this in a website for Latin America and the Caribbean region, where Dev is working with some other colleagues in Argentina, and this is a website for our region in the languages of our regions and with resources of our regions. So that we can easily identify, for example, when someone is looking information, looking for information in our region, well that person will be able to identify the necessary stakeholder, and all the resources available to read and participate.

We have a lot of material. We have newsletters, [inaudible], we have annual reports, we have the reports from the different constituencies, very useful material. So this will be available shortly for all of the community, and for anyone who would like to read the material. You will also see a map, a very visible and nice map, for each stakeholder to identify itself. And some other of the hallmarks of these communications program was the media to manage the relationship with the press and media, because sometimes journalists can join ICANN events, and they don't know how to communicate what we are saying here in ICANN in an accessible way for the rest of the community.

So, in that website, there will be resources for journalists for them to use those resources easily, that part was managed by Alexander and she did a great job. So thank you very much and congratulations. And if you know any journalists who would like to participate in the following meetings, okay, you can contact Alexander so that she can provide that person with a toolkit, so that they can understand and communicate better.

I think that I am not leaving anything behind that please, and I would like to give the floro to you.

ALEXANDRO:

This is Alexandro speaking. I would like to speak about the bimonthly newsletter. Here we are providing information regarding the strategic planning, about ICANN, news about the region, press releases. So the important thing here is that if you are not receiving this material, and you are interested in receiving this newsletter that we send every two

months, please let me know and I will add you to the mailing list. And with this, I'm finished because Fatima has covered most of the topics.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Alex. Thank you very Fatima, both Rodrigos, LACRALO thank you all for your presence and participation, and we are completely sure that we will be using those materials. But we are not stop using CROPP. We will work with both of them. And with a new budget of ICANN, because we have our requests from last year.

So we have three fronts to cover all our needs. So thank you very much. I really appreciate that. And I would also like to offer you the necessary time, within our monthly meetings, we only need short notice, but any other extra meeting that you would like to have, would appreciate that. Dev, you have the floor. Go ahead please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thank you. Dev Anand speaking. Thanks Fatima, I think you covered quite a lot at the very end. Just to add on, again, my thanks to Rodrigo and Alexander. And also now, about them, Rodrigo has, the other Rodrigo helped do the implementation for all of the other projects of the Latin American and Caribbean strategic plan.

And indeed, while Alberto I do agree that yes, we can make some time available to do updates, but I'm thinking, you know, if we want to get more persons involved in the Latin American and Caribbean strategic plan from LACRALO, might I suggest the chair that we did have a webinar, perhaps I'd say about a month or six weeks from now, to, a

special purpose webinar. Because I think there are a lot of projects, and there won't be a lot of time to do it within the LACRALO monthly call.

So I would suggest, let's have a special webinar for the Latin American and Caribbean implementation plan, where each of the projects can be presented, and so people can find out and therefore get persons to join those efforts.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto. Thank you very much Dev, this is an action item that we'll take into account. So, I repeat, this is Alberto Soto speaking. This is an action item well taken, so thank you very much. Thank you very much for your visit. I know that you have a busy agenda, so you are invited to stay, no problem, if not, you can leave. Thank you.

Bear with me a minute. Now I'll give the floor to Sylvia Vivanco.

SYLVIA VIVANCO:

Sylvia Vivanco for the records. I would like to [inaudible] this, our disposal from the At-Large staff to keep on working together with you, so welcome to the work. And we need to use the amount of people that we have in LACRALO, and they're all willing to collaborate. So that's all, thank you.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Moving on, item five in our agenda. Our guest speaker whose presence I appreciate is Sebastien Bachollet. We have asked him to speak about the IANA transition. So please, Sebastien feel free, as we know you are

always free to speak about this topic. I'm positive we have several questions about this.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Sebastien speaking. I will try to do this in Spanish, because it's not, and it's not easy. We've only talked about this in English before, but I'll try. The IANA stewardship, in the NTIA IANA functions through a stewardship transition...

There is another issue. The issue of accountability. There is another track. I don't know how to say it in French, so I don't know how to say it in Spanish.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Transparency and accountability.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay, maybe. Because transparency is anyhow a different subject, but anyhow. To be accountable before users and constituencies of the organization. A lot has been said about the IANA stewardship transition, but I think that for users, it is more relevant to discuss the transparency and accountability issue. Because eventually, that is what is going to change, or do not change the organizations for better responding to questions, and user demands.

IANA, I think it's more technical, and important at the political level. I'm not going to say that we're not interested, but in my view, it's a small portion of the big discussion. And with respect to accountability, the

discussions currently take place at two different levels. The things we need to agree upon before the IANA transition, and the other aspects.

That we can move forward later on. It's difficult to know what each part of the discussions will do. So now, the community is working on accountability with the organization of the accountability working group, the IANA transition accountability part, and then we will have to get organized some way or another, for the other aspects of accountability.

I'm sorry it's so difficult to speak in Spanish. That's why, if I'm not being clear, please let me know. And anyhow, it is the Chair of the meeting raising his hand, if you want the floor, you just take the floor. Please don't ask me.

It's just to help you. If you allow us to make a question. I wasn't able to attend, at the time when the composition of the ICG was reported. Fadi was at a meeting, I think it was London or before London, I don't remember, that doesn't matter. There was a meeting when the composition of the ICG was announced.

However, I read the transcripts, and there I found a statement by Sebastien Bachollet, who said to Fadi, "In these groups, we don't see the end users." And I was actually quite surprised. So what you said about accountability, I think it would be more relevant for us to discuss accountability, right now, than what the ICG is doing, which is working with the operational groups and with the operational group reports, to make the final report for the US Secretariat, department, sorry.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Sebastien speaking. I think there are now two representatives of ALAC before the ICG. In the past, that was not the case. Now, we do have two. And I hope they will perform properly and will do a great job, but when you analyze the composition of this group, you see a highly North American composition. And we can't do much about it.

But we have to take this into account for better action in the future, in future groups, because we will certainly [inaudible] in multistakeholder group, and we want to have one person per group. I don't know why, but in the long run, we will see more people from North America than from other places in the world.

And if we do not have processes to fix this, we will have more and more problems. My view is as follows. The US government agrees on changing the oversight of the IANA function. So, they're giving you a hand in this way. But on the other hand, there are other people in this region that want to take control by themselves, and that's not good for the global community.

So we have to be very careful in the next working group, I think.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto. We have Fatima. Along the same lines, what I didn't like in that location, was that the answer was that everybody there was end user of the Internet. Why I did not like that answer, why? Because we have two groups, ALAC and GAC. The resolutions of which have a very direct impact on the Internet end users. And whoever has to make a decision in ALAC will make it on behalf of end users.

But whoever is making a decision in GAC, or in any other group, will make it on behalf of the interest of those groups, not on behalf of the interest of the end users.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Fatima Cambronero for the records. Here, I think we should make a distinction between some things. There are two parallel processes, the IANA function transition, and ICANN accountability, and involve the procedural aspects and the substantive aspects. The procedural [inaudible] composition, the cross-community working group for the IANA transition, the At-Large working group compositions for the IANA transition, that has already happened.

We can match backwards. The groups have already been setup. The ALAC, the users have already occupied a space. Now the question is, how are we going to use that space in parallel? How does the IANA transition impact users, in what respects. If we already have a space there, and we have to mainstream the responses, what is relevant for the users? Or the users representatives to take to those proposals to be made.

That's, in my opinion, the most important thing we have to determine is community of users to take to the working groups in what we participate. On the other hand, with respect to ICANN accountability, this is a processes that should run in parallel with IANA, if possible, it should have been resolved for the IANA transition, but we don't have sufficient time for that.

The accountability issue, however, should also be present in this IANA transition group, should be permeating all of the aspects, but back to the most relevant question, to agree to identify, to reach consensus both regionally and at ALAC level, on what position we should take there, and what are we going to defend.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto. Thank you Fatima. While I agree with Fatima, we have to pay attention now on how we're going to make an input to our representatives, how we're going to help them. We have two representatives in ALAC, and this group. So, we have to act as the arms, the voice, and speak with our communities, in order to provide some consistent proposal for them to defend.

We don't have much time for this. Even though Larry has somehow said that maybe we will have a flexible schedule, or something like that, I don't, I'm not quite convinced. I believe that we have to put an end to the work because of the pressure of the other governments, the Chinese, the Russians, etc.

So, I think that as a regional group, it is our responsibility to assist our representatives in making proposals that should be strong and consistent. That is our role in my opinion. And if I'm not wrong, it is also Fatima's position. Thank you Alberto. Thank you [inaudible].

An additional opinion and then back to Sebastien.

PHILLIP SANCHEZ:

I'm Phillip Sanchez. Thank you Alberto. If I may, I will make some emphasis and recall to the region that there are different ways to have advocacy on the process. Though we have two representatives before the ICG, there is a multi-disciplinary cross-constituency, cross-community working group engaging the participation, for instance, of Fatima, several representatives of the ALAC from the five regions.

And in this group, it is being commissioned with advice and a proposal that will be, in turn, delivered to this coordination group. We could also, ourselves, as a region, LACRALO, or as ALAC, we could setup or devise a proposal if we so decide. And escalate it to the coordination group, to be [inaudible] as an independent proposal.

It's not just the one path we could follow to influence the design of the IANA transition function transition. We have at least three paths to follow, which we should use, and make this very clear to our representatives before the ICG mostly, and before the cross-community working group.

What are the principles that we as users are concerned, want to see, considered and safeguarding in the proposal of the IANA function oversight transition.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto for the transcript. This is an item to be discussed in seven, in item seven. I will not take more of your time for this. I will give the floor back to Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Sebastien speaking. Thank you Alberto. I agree on how the job should be done. I don't think we will have much time for it. Policy is more important, however it is important to learn from the lessons, what happened before and how can we do better next time. But for today's transition, it is more important to take into account the user's interest.

And I will really like what Leon said, the principles. He used the word principles. We don't have time to design a schedule of solutions, but we could, we might layout the principles. For instance, we want only one IANA, otherwise we will have to split our group to track three different things, and that would be more burdensome, time wise and money wise, etc.

There are ongoing discussions here on gTLDs, ccTLDs, but we don't discuss much about the IPs. IP addresses. Because the discussions are split into five regions. It is more difficult for us to go from one place to the other, so if we don't want to see the same thing happen here, we have to say only one IANA function is the way to go.

And there may be important things as principles, as well, and that is what both representatives to the group should get from you, to speak on behalf of the users.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you Sebastien. I will not take more of your time. I know you are quite busy. You are also invited to say, but I'm positive you will get bored.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Sebastien speaking. You can never get bored with users. So, and with this region. I agree with Olivier when he said that this is a very vibrant region, and it's very relevant for you to continue like that. However, I have to go to another meeting, but thank you for the invitation and your help throughout the four years I was on the Board. This is my last meeting as Board member, but we will have other occasions to meet and talk. Thank you for your hard work.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto. Sebastien, thank you very much. I am sure that your work at the Board has been excellent, as representative of the end user, for which we are grateful. We have the expectation that Rinalia will perform exactly like you did. Thank you again.

Let's move on to the next item for the agenda. The review of previous action items. The ATLAS 2 recommendations, at that time action was item 28, ALAC should work with all RALOs and ALSs to map the expertise in the membership to identify subject matter experts, to facilitate policy communication. This is an item that is already current. Alberto, because of family issues, couldn't travel, but he has developed a survey that will be sent to our region.

Each one of us will fill it in with our expertise, and we're going... This has a dual purpose, in which we're going to report to ALAC. This will be used internally for our training program. So that we can have instructions within our region, and we can also know through this, in which areas we need support for training to be given to both to ALAC and ICANN.

The next item is ALAC should have an automated system for tracking topics of interest currently being discussed among the various RALOs, and accessible by everyone. Vanda first.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Vanda speaking. Simply, I was concerned with the connection with the external participants.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto. Go ahead please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Dev Anand speaking. Well, regarding the first one. Has this survey been circulated to all of the RALO leadership? Regional leadership? And was it to be discussed tomorrow on tomorrow's session? I mean, it's not... It does need to be coordinated with all the RALOs, so there needs to be consensus as to how it's raised, and so forth. And then, so then it can be properly translated and so forth.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto. The next recommendation is ICANN should enable [inaudible] face to face RALO assemblies, either at ICANN regional offices, or in concert with other regional events. This is a request. The section is not within our remit. The only area where we can have any say is active participation on our part, to be given this possibility of having annual face to face assemblies. Vanda?

After the Board meeting, I was talking to the members, and there was a suggestion made that this proposal, in their opinion, was interesting, but he said we should have at least an estimate cost for us to provide a more clear project, because when we think of a small region, a more concentrated region. But if we are talking about, let's say, Asia, this becomes crazy.

So this needs to more detailed, more thorough. For instance, I've just received the roadshow of Future Com has already started in Sao Paulo, so we are already somehow more organized, but in order to get greater support from ICANN, as a whole, I think that the suggestion made by the Board member is good.

We should add to this proposal, some items with cost estimates because they cannot decide for yes or no without an estimate of what we're talking about.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto. We will take this as another action item. Leon.

LEON SANCHEZ:

Leon speaking. Along the lines of what Vanda said, I think it would be useful if we, ourselves, could develop a map of regional events, where, or together with this face to face assembly of ALSs could also be heard, leveraging not only the financing, but also the sponsors of these other events, the financing of these other sponsors.

Why not the LAC IGF, which many of us attended on our own means, or with grants from the IGF. We could compliment this with fund from

ICANN, for the assembly to be held. That will reduce the burden on the organization, and that could enable better chances. That could be an interesting exercise to develop a map of events.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto speaking. We have another action item, or we will be full of work, a lot of work. I fully agree with you, because in our conversation with regard, not today, because today was so short, and former conversation, but the plan, Rodrigo's plan, contemplates or implies events that they have already think about.

So, perhaps we would say, as Leon suggested, that is an event, for example, already [inaudible] by ICANN, none of the [inaudible]. This is ICANN event. So, perhaps we could significantly reduce costs, if we have our own mapping and Rodrigo's mapping as well. Now, our next item on the agenda.

RALOs should encourage their inactive ALSs representative to comply with ALAC minimal participation requirements. Metrics will be available, LACRALO metrics will be available shortly. They're now being reviewed by the governance working group. And they stick to the metrics being discussed in ALAC. And I think we will have the metrics, we will have first the metrics than ALAC.

With Humberto, we are working on inactive ALSs. We send them emails, we try to contact them, and perhaps you may have seen, not today, but on some other occasions, we will see that in the past we used to have six or seven participants, and now we're having 29 or 30 participants, including apologies.

Of course, we are not able to participate all of the time. Those who say, or who send their apologies, are also participants. They cannot participate at that opportunity, because we are volunteers, but they are also participating in that way.

Next item on the agenda. Dev Anand Teelucksingh suggested enhancing the presentation by having each room, each row in a column, so that text in [languages] will match. So Humberto Carasco will work with Dev to implement this recommendation. I think this is already finished, so we will continue.

Item number seven, working groups request. Unfortunately, Sergio Selena is not here. He sends his apologies, today the working group is moving forward, there was some delays. He asked for 30 days, and then he requested another 30 days. So they're working.

I hope that I will have a meeting with the group in the next days, so that we can settle the deadlines and finish with this as soon as possible. Vanda, go ahead please.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

This is Vanda speaking. I am a member of the group. For me, everything was ready. I made a review, we included all of the topics. Then we asked Silvia to correct the Spanish version of the documents. Then we incorporated everything, and for me, that was ready to be published. I don't know why Sergio didn't agree on that, because everything is ready. There is nothing else to do.

I don't know if he has anything, or if there is something special that he would like to suggest, or if there is any other suggestion to be included, but from my personal point of view, everything was ready.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto speaking. Well, I will note that as an action item. I had the same idea that it was ready, and I would like to remind you the procedure that we're adopting nowadays. A working group starts with a scope and the schedule already defined. So they work until the schedule is fulfilled, and once the working group finishes, then a public period comment starts, and after 30 days either observations or modifications are carried out.

If there are no observations, or comments, then there is a voting period of seven days. And this is what we are waiting for right now. The only thing that I certainly know now, is that the metrics working group, or metrics, is being discussed and they are within the seven day period. So after that, they will have a 30 day period. Dev, go ahead please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

So, unfortunately, the audio cut out a little bit for me just now. So just to confirm, this isn't for output from LACRALO working groups, or response to comment in order to get a consensus statement and submit it as a public comment? Just to clarify.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto speaking. We are talking about the working group. The working group, the governance working group, with the sub

working groups. The metrics sub working group is now ready for the 30 day period, and the other groups are still waiting for response. Go ahead Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev Anand speaking. So my concern here is that, you know, this, the reports... I know you're saying the documents will be released formally, and they will be a 30 day period. I do think however, that there needs to be a conference call, a special purpose conference call, to really have the group members from the governance group explain their rationale behind the decision making.

And also, an opportunity to hear from other members of LACRALO what, you know, any concerns. I saw one report from one governance working group regarding accreditation of At-Large structures, and I have to say, I'm not to, I do have some concerns with that, with some of the recommendations in that report.

ALBERTO SOTO: Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Dev. The case is this, when the working group is not ready, documents are not in English, so we rather having the working group finish its work, and then have the information in English. If the 30 day period is not enough, we will not have, we'll have nothing concrete to continue for another 15 days.

So I'd rather everybody have, and that is what we are requesting. We are also requesting material in Portuguese. I would like the region have the materials in their own languages, or in the corresponding languages,

and then within those 30 or 45 days, we will, we may have the meeting that you are asking for.

But this will be once everybody has read everything, so that we can have a meeting with, of all the foundations or discussions, and for the decision that's being made. What we cannot have is long discussions to debate one single topic. That's why we are devoting quite a long time. The idea is that everybody has all of the documentation so that they can read it and then they can discuss it.

Next item, IANA transition. I am the only one in the LACRALO group who is working, but I'm also participating within the ALAC group. And within this ALAC group, I am subscribed to all of the discussion mailing lists. The RIR mailing list, and the IANA ISOC mailing list. What I can say about this is that, as Sebastien said, there are topics that are being discussed.

There are two main topics. Transition and accountability. The standpoints are this. This should be taken or approached by only one group, because these two topics are very related, or closely related. Some of the people say that the two groups are required, but they should work together. I don't see the difference between those positions, but I would say I would rather having two different groups, and if there is any questions or consultation, well they should consult between each other and then solve their differences.

When it comes to the IANA functions, they are discussing about internal or IANA internal to ICANN, or IANA external to ICANN. And I can assure you that many people are hoping to have an external IANA. That is to say, an IANA that is not related to ICANN. Perhaps that has to do with

Sebastien, what Sebastien said. On the other hand, in the ICG, there are only 12 or 8 people who are active members.

And one of the list was discussing about consensus. Is consensus going to be based on eight or 12 members? Or the rest of the membership will provide their opinion once they have the chance to do that. We are working on that. We are dealing with topic, or discussing that with all of the information that we have. Vanda, go ahead.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

This is Vanda speaking. The problems, or the problem of this debate on IANA, begins with the title, with the headline, the title, the name is not clear. Taking into account the items or the topics being discussed. We have political issues to debate, those asking for control, those rejecting the control, but from my point of view, first of all, we should establish the technical conditions to guarantee the stability and security of the Internet, to have a single, stable, and interoperable Internet.

This conditions should be dealt with by a technical group. Now, either that is a Chinese member or a Swedish member, it doesn't matter. But we need to understand the conditions. And taking into the account the composition of the group and the name of the group, and I know many of the members, well I believe that nobody has a clear idea of what we are talking about.

They are talking about a political mission and so on. But I don't know if we will achieve a concrete or a good result. But, I believe that we need at least to provide suggestions to organize in a better way the topic, to determine the topics that we will discuss, those related to IANA.

This has to be like that. That cannot be changed. There are certain topics that should be discussed and cannot be modified. Because from the technical perspective, that is a very simple principle, and it should be like that because that is the way in which Internet was created.

But now I believe that we are moving in a difficult direction. This is my opinion, perhaps we, in ALAC, may propose something more structured so that other participants in the group may participate in a better way, because I also believe that we have chosen 30 members, but there are only eight members working, or 10 or 12. It doesn't matter.

But I am concerned that, at the end of the day, this will be an excuse... Well, the excuse is already in place, but this would be an excuse for the group who is not working, may have the possibility to answer, or contribute and contest.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Vanda. In ALAC, we are working in that sense. We are trying to generate the best opinion possible, and at the very beginning, in the ICG we have the operational groups. So this was widely discussed. Olivier spoke about that.

We had conversations with the ICG chair, and ALAC will send a document with its opinion. So, I'm also happy, after listening to the US Department of Commerce, commerce secretary, there is a document for the transition, an initial document, that with ICANN that established that ICANN should be in charge of that. And that the multistakeholder model shall be respected.

In her speech yesterday, the Secretary empathized, strongly emphasized exactly the same. And somewhere, I also read, that if that was not the case, the transition was not going to be made. So I think that the US Department of Commerce, will advocate for the model. And this is what I understand from the different working groups that have been participated.

The transition should be respected. Perhaps this will not take place on September the 15th, because that day is my birthday, but we have to take that into account. Please take note that September the 15th is my birthday. Perhaps that will not be the deadline, but they are also saying that that is not a fixed deadline. It's a flexible deadline.

Now, when it comes to the IANA transition, I created an event. There are certain ALSs that will attend to the event, and they will confirm that. This is a volunteer event, I mean, anyone can participate. The explanation is simple. We have a LACRALO document that was submitted to ALAC, and this is the basis to generate not a new document, but modifications to that document, and to create a presentation for us to provide to the ALSs, and with this content.

What is ICANN? What does ICANN do? How does ICANN work? What is IANA? What are the contracts being signed by ICANN and the US Department of Commerce? What is the meaning of the transition? And what is the state of the art, at the moment of the presentation. A state of the art, is or has to do with the discussions that are being held.

This should entitle the ALAC RALO's opinion. I would replicate that with the ALSs. Any ALS can take that, perhaps we may have this event next year, after we have moved forward with our debates regarding the

transition. And at the same time, this is a document, and if someone asked us, what is our opinion? Well, we have that document to show.

We are working on several topics, and we need to have that document updated, and this is my commitment, my personal commitment to keep this document updated.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Vanda speaking. Well, I would like to remind that Elissa and dot BR, well we have some slides that are ready with very clear designs and concepts of the function of the IANA function. They're very easy to understand. I have already used that material, and perhaps I can circulate it to you.

ALBERTO SOTO:

Alberto Soto speaking. Thank you very much Vanda. That is what I am using for the presentation. That material has been used for the presentation. The same material that we have used for Silvia for Olivier and the Dominican Republic. We are not inventing material. We are using the already existing material.

Okay. Any questions? Any comments? I see no one. Someone in the remote participation? So, dear colleagues, since there are no questions, I would like to thank you all for your participation, for your face to face participation, and also to the remote participants. So thank you very much. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening.

Thank you Sylvia and also thank you to the interpreters, because they are very patient. And to the tech because we had no technical problem at all. So thank you very much.