

---

SINGAPORE – Asia Pacific Regional IGF (APrIGF) MSG Meeting  
Saturday, March 22, 2014 – 09:00 to 11:00  
ICANN – Singapore, Singapore

PAUL WILSON: Okay, good morning, everyone. Let's get started. For anyone who doesn't know, this is the Asia Pacific Regional IGF Multistakeholder Steering Group meeting. It is open to everyone, so welcome everyone who has made time to be here.

We've got an agenda, which Yannis has circulated to the mailing list, and it's on the screen here. We've got two hours for this meeting. I think that's quite a good allocation.

What I'd like to start by doing, actually, is some self-introductions. I think it would be nice for everyone here to introduce themselves and briefly where they're from and how about the stakeholder group that you feel most affiliated with, as well. Let's start with that before we get on into the agenda. Let's start down at the far end on the left there. We'll need to use the microphone. I don't know if we have anyone yet on WebEx.

ZHENG SONG: Hi, everyone. My name is Zheng Song. I work for ICANN's Beijing office, Beijing Engagement Center.

PAUL WILSON: Fantastic. Welcome.



---

**HYEYOUNG KANG (KELLY):** Good morning, everyone. I'm Kelly from ICANN's Seoul office. We report Kuek and we belong to the Singapore office. Finally, I predict in Singapore. Nice to see you.

**EDMON CHUNG:** Edmon Chung, with DotAsia. That would be a technical community, I guess, and also from ISOC Hong Kong, and that would probably be a civil society side.

**UNIDENTIFIED MALE:** Good morning, everyone. Jerry [?] from Macao, and I'm here to present the APrIGF proposal.

**PAUL WILSON:** Welcome. Fantastic.

**UNIDENTIFIED MALE:** Good morning. I'm Isamoc [?]. I'm coming from Macao with Jerry. Thank you.

**KILNAM CHON:** Yes, this is Kilnam Chon. Today, I'm on this "Asia Internet History." I brought a couple of copies, so if you want to buy, let me know. I'm going to propose a new project, sort of a Wiki-style Internet history for this century after the end of this whole thing at the AOB.



---

PAUL WILSON: Thank you.

HIRO HOTTA: I am Hiro Hotta from JPRS, which is a .JP ccTLD.

PAUL WILSON: Technical community?

HIRO HOTTA: Yes, tech community.

YURI TAKAMATSU: Good morning, I'm Yuri Takamatsu, and I'm also from JPRS. Nice to see you.

Y.J. PARK: Hi, good morning. Y.J. Park from SUNY Korea as academia, but also I feel more attached as a civil society because I've been involved with ICANN in various Internet Governance platform as an individual as member of civil society but also vice chair of APrIGF, together with Paul.

CONNIE CHAN: Good morning, everyone. Connie Chan from APNIC.



---

DON HOLLANDER: I'm Don Hollander, and I'll have two hats today. One is from APTLD, so that's the technical community, and the other is from PIP, the Pacific Internet Partners, very focused on development of the Internet in the Pacific. Thank you.

SANJAYA: Good morning, all. I'm Sanjaya from APNIC, as well. Thank you.

TONY SMITH: Tony Smith, from APNIC, as well.

PAUL WILSON: Paul Wilson. I'm the head of APNIC, as well. We are all technical community folks at APNIC.

YANNIS LI: This is Yannis, from DotAsia, the secretariat of APrIGF.

LOUISE NASAK: I'm Louise Nasak. I'm from the Telecommunications and Radiocommunications Regulator of Vanuatu. The interest group is government, as well as regulatory.

HONG XUE: My name is Hong Xue from Beijing Normal University, an academic stakeholder group, and also from At-Large in China as a civil society.



---

RAJESH CHHARIA: Good morning, Rajesh Chharia. I'm president of ISPAL as well as the director of NIXI. This time I am representing myself as a host for the 2014 APrIGF in NCR.

[Applause]

Thank you.

DR. GOVIND: Good morning, everyone. I'm Dr. Govind. I'm CEO of National Internet Exchange of India. Too, another hat is attending ICANN meetings as an adviser in the GAC as part of the oral GAC advisory groups from the government of India. Domain member is [inaudible]. And then co-hosting this APrIGF meeting on the NIXI.

CRIDEN APPI: Good morning, my name is Criden Appi from Nauru. I'm also with the government and [inaudible] GAC. Thank you.

SAVE VOCEA: Good morning. My name is Save Vocea. I'm an ICANN staff member of the Global Stakeholder Engagement team, and I serve the Australian, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, like Oceania. Thank you.



---

KEITH DAVIDSON: Keith Davidson, InternetNZ, which amongst other things operates the .nz name space. ISOC board member, vice chair of the ccNSO council, and troublemaker at large.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl Langdon-Orr. I probably should follow in the [inaudible] and trouble-making calls. Chair of the NomCom for ICANN for 2014. Member of the Internet Society of Australia (ISOCAU), which is also engaged as an At-Large Structure within ICANN. Active member of the Oceania group and, indeed, the Asia Pacific group. Member of the Multistakeholder Group here for regional IGFs. And finally, a director of AUDA, which is the administrator for the .au.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] a number of hats.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: A number of hats? Thank you. We haven't got to the end, yet, though. [inaudible].

JIA RONG LOW: I wish I had that many hats. My name is Jia Rong. I represent the Asia-Pacific hub for ICANN in Singapore. On behalf of Kuek, who heads the Asia-Pacific hub, I'd like to welcome everybody to Singapore. Kuek will join us in a little bit after he finishes his opening speech next door.



---

For me, I'm part of the Global Engagement team, as well, focusing on Asia. ICANN is technically a technical community, but I find myself most affiliated with the AP-style grouping, which is this grouping.

**KELVIN WONG:** Hello. Morning, everyone. This is Kelvin from ICANN, as well, in the APAC hub in Singapore. So welcome to Singapore, once again.

**MAUREEN HILYARD:** Good morning, everyone. My name is Maureen Hilyard. I'm here representing the Pacific Islands Chapter of the Internet Society. I would just like to say that it's really nice. I'm the board chair and it's nice to have one of my board members from Vanuatu actually here today. So I'm very pleased.

**GUNELA ASTBRINK:** Good morning. I'm Gunela Astbrink, director on ISOC Australia and a member of Pacific Islands Chapter of ISOC, as well. Thanks.

**PAUL WILSON:** Okay, thank you very much. We've been around the table. Is there a roaming mike or some way that – would you like to introduce at the back?

**UNIDENTIFIED MALE:** Good morning, everyone. My name is [inaudible] from [Verisign]. Nice to see you.



---

YOSHI MURAKAMI: This is Yoshi Murakami of Brights Consulting from Japan. I'd just like to say I attended IGF Japan last week as a panelist, so I'm pretty much interested and involved in this, as well. Thank you very much.

GREGORY MAUREL: Hello, I'm Gregory Maurel of Brights Consulting. I'm with Yoshi, too.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hello. [inaudible] I'm actually a market researcher. I collect data online, so I just need to know what's going on in the Asia Pacific. Yes. Sorry? Oh, I'm from Singapore. Yeah, but I travel a lot in Asia Pacific. Okay.

PAUL WILSON: Thank you. Thank you, everyone, for the introductions. I think it's really nice to get to know each other and some new faces. In particular, I'm very happy to see a few more Pacific faces here than we have in the past, so welcome.

And thanks, also, I must say, to ICANN for hosting the meeting and providing the facility. It's great. Thanks.

Okay, we have the agenda. Are there any points on the agenda before we get started? Any updates or additions? Let's note that Kilnam has asked to discuss the history project under AOB. We'll have time for that.

And, so we'll move on then to the first item, which is a review of minutes from the last time. Can we see those, Yannis? Thanks. We had a





---

rather brief telephone conference last time with a few actions, which were mostly deferred, I think, to this meeting. But let's just have a look.

We did hear last time from NIXI and ISPAI, and we'll be hearing more today, I'm sure. And we looked at those single requests we had for local hosts, and we're going to hear from Monique today, as well. So we do have an action today to discuss the proposed themes and confirm them for the coming IGF meeting, and that seems to be everything.

Are there any comments on the minutes at all? If not, then let's consider those minutes to be approved. I think our actions are fairly clear. Yeah?

YANNIS LI: Yes.

PAUL WILSON: Okay, back to the agenda. Alright. Well, here's where we get to hear about the next IGF meeting. Rajesh, you have a presentation?

RAJESH CHHARIA: Good morning, Namaste, and welcome to India. As a local host 2014 APrIGF, which we are doing along with the SANOG 24 in India. Initially, we had planned for Hyderabad, but due to some unavoidable reason, we have to relocate this complete event to NCR Delhi, around 40 to 45 kilometers from the International Airport of Delhi.



---

In Kuala Lumpur APrIGF AP\* meeting, we have got a suggestion for relocating to some other place. We have relocated that, and I'm very happy to say that we have finalized a location as well as the venue.

During the last days of the [inaudible], there was some suggestion that rather than going into the conference venue, why we are not planning to host this into some hotel. We should be able to get the venue hotel as well as some facility, which is easily available from the hotel rather than from the conference venue. We are going accordingly.

And now this is the welcome to our Incredible India. The site is ready: [aprigf.asia](http://aprigf.asia). Sorry there is some spelling mistake. And another site is [www.sanog.org](http://www.sanog.org).

The dates are as earlier. The APrIGF will be from 4 August until 6 August 2014. The Youth IGF will be from 3 August to 6 August. And the SANOG will be happening from 1 August until 9 August.

This is the venue, which we have finalized now. The alternate venues, again, really is the Noida Expocenter. But we have relocated the complete venue to the hotel Crowne Plaza, which has got numerous number of rooms along with panel session as well as the preliminary session into this.

This is into the heart of greater Noida, a very newly developed IT hub into Noida. And it's directly connected to the Noida Express Highway from Noida to Greater Noida. And from here, only the prestigious Agra Express Highway generates.



---

The famous Formula One racetrack is also into this area, and the famous golf course is also over here. They are just around two to two-and-a-half kilometers from our venue.

This is the venue detail. The hotel name is Crowne Plaza, Greater Noida. It is a newly built, luxurious five-star hotel. They have just started this property around two to three months back only, and still lot of constructions are going on, but our infrastructure is almost ready.

The hotel ambiance you have already seen in the first slide, and a complete conference room is a state-of-art. Business meeting will be very easily possible. And a lot of conference rooms are there, small and big. The name of the halls are Amoha, Arya, Karma, Siddhi, Tapas, Tejas and the Business Center meeting rooms also.

In regards to the venue detail, this is the infrastructure is available, like the overhead projectors, modern lines, microphone, LCDs. It's a very newly built hotel and very newly built conference room. Still the domestic and international events are happening successful over there.

The drive from the Indira Gandhi International Airport is hardly around 50 minutes to one hour, and it's well connected. The Indira Gandhi airport, everybody knows that they're well connected with domestic as well as the international flight.

We have taken a very extra care. In spite of being in Delhi, these are the rooms available into the hotel. What I will request that all of the hotels are giving you a very limited time for the booking. Very soon we are starting the booking and if we will be able to book, we will be able to get the event rate, which is including the breakfast and the Internet.



---

Taxes are very simple, hardly seven-and-a-half percent. This is because they are a new property. There is no luxury tax, etc. This is the rate which we have negotiated, but still we under negotiation and we hope that we will be going further lower from this published rate even.

Some other properties are also there. Hotel Radisson BLU, which [is at] the same rate. Hotel Jaypee resort is undoubtedly a little bit higher rate, but the property is very luxurious. It is in the center of the golf course, and you will be getting more feeling of the resort and spa over there. But still we are negotiating with these two properties, also.

Apart from these two properties, we have got the small budget hotels, which is to the tune of \$100 over there. And we are also some guest houses and service apartments and hostel space, which will be much more lower. All of these are including Internet and the breakfast.

Again, my request that early booking will be getting advantage.

This is the budget. Somehow we have controlled ourselves to the budget. What we have shown into our earlier presentation also, despite we have relocated the venue, and the venue, Delhi, no doubt, a metro city is more costly than Hyderabad, but we are trying to put all this budget under our control. This is the combined budget of SANOG, APrIGF and yIGF.

In this, only one thing is missing. That is which we have assured in the last meeting that we will be spending a very good amount for the fellowship, which we are inviting from overseas. We are not including the Indian fellowship in this budget, but we have not included the overseas fellowship also into the budget.



---

After getting the complete detail from the APrIGF secretariat, we will put this into our budget, and we will be spending a good amount of money. In Indian currency, I can assure that's around 20 lakh rupee, \$2 million.

This is the budget estimation only for the APrIGF and yIGF. Earlier was including the SANOG. We have tried to put that under our control of the \$70,000, what we have assured in our first presentation.

For the registration, the APrIGF secretariat is opened. We have opened the registration. This is only to facilitate that few of the countries which are getting some problem in getting the visa for India. We will be contacting them one-to-one so that their visa is through. We have also created a separate email ID into the ISPAI so that all the registration which is happening will be getting informed to us immediately on a real-time basis.

For the yIGF, we have started sending invitations to the colleges and schools over in India. We are also, Dr. Govind is here as the last time. He has assured that he is using his GAC experience for inviting all the government – whether it is in the Asia Pacific, whether it is out of Asia Pacific, hardly matters – to this Asia Pacific Regional IGF. We will also take the help from Paul for getting invited to the different regions of the IGF into this.

This APrIGF has got a lot of importance because it's happening immediately after NETmundial and just immediately before the main IGF. Hence, we can discuss a lot which will be presented into the main IGF for further discussion.



---

Thank you, very much. And now if any questions from anyone, most welcome. Sir?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] On a budget, could you tell me how you are going to raise fund for the APrIGF? We need how much? It was about \$60,000 was all?

RAJESH CHHARIA: \$70,000.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah. How are you planning to raise the fund? When we say budget, we need both income and expense. The income portion is sort of missing here.

RAJESH CHHARIA: Okay. Why the income is missing is because already, we ISPAI and NIXI are the host and co-host. NIXI has already given the undertaking that if any shortfall will be there, that will be covered by us, number one.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Good.

RAJESH CHHARIA: Even we can host of our own without asking for any sponsorship. But still, we are talking of the multistakeholder, and we want to get all the



---

organizations which want to support the event are stakeholders, and they are most welcome.

We will be inviting the sponsorship from a lot of international and national organizations. I have not mentioned that right now in this presentation because we are in the process of finalizing the sponsorship amount and very soon we will be publishing that.

Because this event is held in conjunction with the SANOG, we are in talking to the SANOG organizers so that if the joint sponsorship can be possible, it will be better. And we can assure you that in regards to the budget, because the amount is very small, but still we will be able to manage that.

The question is no doubt the most encouraging, asking for the income. But right now, our main objective is to host the event in the Asian-Pacific Region, this IGF especially coming in to India for the first time. We will be taking care of all this expenditure along with the sponsorship.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

I just want to make a comment, and pardon me if I come across as teaching you how to handle things. You mention the hotel is new. We had a hotel here, a rather major disaster. The venue was new, and they were rushing to get it open. They invited the then city minister Lee Kuan Yew to great occasion, so they hurried and they opened it.

When the event was held, some of the rooms had no hot water. Air conditioner broke down. Some of the toilets couldn't flush. System just



---

wasn't really in place. It was a meeting, fortunately or unfortunately, of lawyers, so when the meeting ended the lawyers, of course, sued the hotel.

This hotel, by the way, is the Marina Bay Sands, so imagine that. So you guys know the situation. It's kind of a lesson there. When systems are new, even for a hotel like that, potential for failure and break down. So I would advise some kind of closer scrutiny of the situation, that sort of thing. There is the potential for disaster.

RAJESH CHHARIA: Professor, we are ready for anything, but we have already seen [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The hotel may not be ready.

RAJESH CHHARIA: But still, a lot of international and national events have already been taken care of by this hotel. Along with that, I have not even left my booking into the Noida Expocenter also, which is the world-class international conference venue. And recently, the Asian Development Bank where all the state heads come over there. Also recently, the auto expo has taken place in Noida Expocenter.

As the situation has come that why not we are planning into a hotel so that the venue hotel will be there, that's the reason we have shifted to





---

the Crowne Plaza. Otherwise I would ensure the program and still the booking into the Noida Expocenter is on.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: When the conference was to be in Hyderabad, you assured us that the accessibility for people with disabilities was in place so that if there was a wheelchair user, they could access the conference venue. Could you tell us if that's the case with the Crowne Plaza venue, please?

RAJESH CHHARIA: Yeah, the Crowne Plaza is an international chain of hotels. They have also taken care of the access to the disabled person over there. Yeah, in regards to the presentations like for the blind, etc., that host has to take care. And if we will be getting any information that these special guests are coming into this event, we will definitely try to incorporate those things, also, into our event.

DON HOLLANDER: Two questions. The first is how many people are you expecting? And the second, the budgets flashed by very fast for me so maybe I missed, but why is the SANOG so much more expensive than the IGF?

RAJESH CHHARIA: Don, the SANOG is costly because the SANOG is a nine-day event.

DON HOLLANDER: Okay.



---

PAUL WILSON: Could you actually talk about the relationship between the SANOG and the APrIGF program? How they're structured?

RAJESH CHHARIA: Yeah, Paul. The program of APrIGF and SANOG is not clashing with each other at all. What we have requested to the SANOG and they have agreed to that, that when the APrIGF main session will be there – like the opening and closing – there will be no session of the SANOG. It will be a full APrIGF session and a full opening and closing.

In regards to – I'm missing your other question?

PAUL WILSON: How many people?

RAJESH CHHARIA: How many people, yeah. When we were planning for the Noida Expocenter, we were expecting 1,500+ guests. But as now the capacity of this hotel is around 800 to 900, we will be limiting ourselves to the 800 to 900. If you feel that this is less, we can increase because we have also got the assurance from the hotel that you can put an air conditioner hangar outside into their big lawn which can accommodate 2,000 persons, also.

PAUL WILSON: Fantastic. Are there any other questions?



---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Rajesh, I was just wondering about the Internet connectivity. Have you started talking to providers, and will we have IPv6 connectivity, as well?

RAJESH CHHARIA: IPv6, as we have done in the earlier SANOG, this time also it will be an IPv6 connectivity. We have got around two pipeline of 100MB as a backup into the venue, as well as we have got the one gig line from the [Akamai] and the Google also so that the guests should be able to get the content easily.

PAUL WILSON: I'm not sure if everyone is aware that SANOG is the South Asia Network Operators Group, and it's a highly technical meeting. I think we'll have plenty of technical experts on hand to make sure that the network works well. They're requirements will be pretty high, their expectations.

Is there anything else?

RAJESH CHHARIA: No?

PAUL WILSON: Well, I'd like to say thank you, Rajesh.



---

RAJESH CHHARIA: Thank you very much to all. And it's my humble request to all, number one, register immediately for getting the visa. Despite the government of India has allowed 180 countries as a visa on arrival, but unfortunately that will be applicable from 1 October. It is not coming in to our event [inaudible].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I was so looking forward to not...

RAJESH CHHARIA: But still, Australia has got their [inaudible] visa. I think so.

And another thing: you will be getting a good rate if you will be booking early. And again, welcome to India. Thank you, very much.

PAUL WILSON: Rajesh, just finally, is there a deadline for that hotel booking?

RAJESH CHHARIA: We are still in the negotiation process. That's the reason we have not yet finalized the date of hotel booking. But yeah, I think it will be one month early to the event.

PAUL WILSON: Okay. So, again, thank you.



---

RAJESH CHHARIA: I may think that I will revise the rates again – to the lower side, not to the upper side.

PAUL WILSON: Okay, so thanks, Rajesh. It really does look like things are on track, and to you, too, Dr. Govind. So thank you. [applause]

The next on the agenda is, I think, the 2015. No, sorry, that's coming up. Alright, next on the agenda is still with 2014, and the discussion that we need to have, and hopefully finalize, is to look at the themes for the meeting. I think we have a good summary from the minutes that perhaps we can look at of the themes that were proposed.

These were proposed for the APrIGF after looking at the themes that have been selected for the global IGF meeting. It's quite useful to have some correspondence between the two meetings, between the global and the regional. But, of course, the point of the regional is also to look at regional concerns. So in no way should we be limited or constrained by the themes of the global meeting.

But I think we do have a fairly well advanced set of themes which have been proposed. We might need to accept those, I think. And here they are.

So under item four there, we looked at the Istanbul themes in the first part of that list and then the themes for the regional meeting. Now, I think we could certainly take some more suggestions for the themes for 2014, but I suggest that we do finalize this list or at least accept the list

---

today. So, I think we're adding one theme here right now. I ask if there are any other suggestions?

Let's take a minute to look at those for anyone who needs to refresh memories. I certainly do. Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG:

Edmon here. I guess the question is we can certainly finalize and say this set of items are things we're looking for in terms of workshops and stuff. But the question perhaps is also whether we want a sort of a tag line, if you will, for the overall event, kind of the overall theme. I don't know how to go about that.

PAUL WILSON:

I think we [inaudible], so that would be the second thing would be to somehow take from the themes that we propose or we accept a one-liner, like just a few words which describe what this coming IGF is about.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I actually think the proposed additional term "Internet to Equinet" put forward by the Indian government is a very good tag line and quite an overarching theme. So I would not only want to be accepting it, I would want to be making it the primary theme. All those others can sub under it quite well. It's catchy, and it's cute.

PAUL WILSON:

It's nice to have a proposal. Doctor, go ahead.



---

DR. GOVIND: Thank you. I was also going to say the same thing. Internet to Equinet, which is the very thing for the all Internet should be not very privileged net. It should be equally distributed from an access point of view, from the opportunity point of view, from many angles. So I think this can be a tag line for the entire APrIGF.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Small comment. I don't mean to spoil here [inaudible], but the origin of equi means horse as far as words.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Equine means horse. Equinet would be equitable. But we can do a second line underneath if we need to make sure it's not lost in translation. But equine came up because of a spell thing. The separate word, equinet, if that needs to be expanded, I'm sure we can do that with a little tag line.

PAUL WILSON: That's a good point.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What's equalizing the Net? The benefits of Net should be spread to everyone, every strata of society, every stakeholder, everyone in the society. That is the theme to [inaudible].



---

PAUL WILSON: Y.J.?

Y.J. PARK: I think that a lot of the things proposed here was proposed before we knew the statement from ATIA about the transition plan. And I think we have very limited timeframe to come up with that consensus to set up some international institution. Nobody really knows what kind of institution it looks like and, first of all, whether it's possible for us all to agree on the certain format before September next year.

Hopefully, as George kind of highlighted, we probably need to come up with that – well, it depends – before September to go through the operable from U.S. government, as well. That means we have really limited timeframe, and so we really have to take the advantage of every meeting or platforms we are going to have from now on as opportunity to discuss the transition plan.

At least in our region, for example, even though we are talking about this equitable kind of state among those different stakeholders, but in reality there are many state members and countries who have totally different views about the different state thing. Now, we can easily agree among us about the similar views, because we don't have those who have the different views.

I think it might be good for us to take advantage of this platform for us to kind of converge those different views down this road. Maybe can't we kind of focus on the transition plan kind of dialogue as the theme for the upcoming APrIGF? Because I really don't think that we have enough





---

time for the global community and the regional community to come up with a consensus about the specific plan in the future.

Hopefully, we can take advantage of this APrIGF for us to all discuss this very critical issue for us, as well.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Really just adding to Y.J.'s comments, I wonder the two missing themes, if there are two missing themes, is globalizing IANA and globalizing ICANN as two discreet topics that probably were in the back of our minds when we were discussing this list but now are in the forefront of our minds, and what shape those discussions might take and develop as the pathway develops. But to get them and capture them on the list now, I think, is pretty important to all of us.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I'm again probably gilding the lily here. Yes, I support that. I think it fits under the Equal Internet overall branching theme that I think we should run with, so the Internet-Equinet does still work. But my notes here, to begin with, when I wrote next to theme just happened to be globalization matters – IANA and ICANN. I think that's the type of one-liner that we might be able to do and pick up all of this.

It needs to be a particular important part of what we do, I agree, Y.J.

PAUL WILSON:

Hong.



---

HONG XUE: Okay, I fully agree with the general theme that's just been suggested and suggest to use the acronym i2e, which means Internet to Equinet. Apart from that, I agree with Y.J. We should talk about NTIA statement and IANA globalization.

I suggest we have a plenary on that where we have them go into the detail of the program. But I suggest that as the main session, probably you could name as "The Future of Internet Governance." So NTIA could be one of the topics.

In addition to that, I suggest we have a small session on the cross-border legal issues of Internet governance. There's one: cross-border issues. There may be many issues. Legal issues is a critical one, but probably that's not a plenary session.

PAUL WILSON: Okay, thanks, Hong. I think we've got a clear proposal from Cheryl for a specific tag line for a theme, and another from Hong for a main session to cover these issues. I was thinking myself to add another reference to a topical issue, which is NETmundial. And the focus of NETmundial is two things: our principles and roadmap for Internet governance. So we might also include that theme under a general plenary session on the future of Internet governance, if that's acceptable?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I agree. Absolutely. I just want to pick up, if I may. Hong, I like the i2e. I wrote it down and then I looked it up: i2e Consulting, software services



---

and mobile development project, complete with their LinkedIn page, may have a problem if we use their trademarked name.

PAUL WILSON:

I do have a question, and I'd like to hear from our Pacific friends here about whether there are some specific Pacific issues that you would like to add. This is the AP Regional IGF, and so I think the small island and Pacific issues are important to be included. I wouldn't like to think that we're overlooking something there that could be added.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

I'll just comment. There is a major conference coming up on the Small Island Developing States Conference in Samoa this year. There may be some aspects of that that are quite relevant here.

I think the constant theme that I keep hearing from the Pacific is ICT for development or Internet for development, so maybe there is a theme for developing countries?

PAUL WILSON:

An SIDS perspective or something like that?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Yes. Something along. I don't know.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Yeah. Makes sense.



---

PAUL WILSON: Save?

SAVE VOCEA: I think we should ask PICISOC to maybe comment on this.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I was actually going to make mention about the development side in relation to small island states. However, there are certain topics that are actually being put forward already: the language diversity, the last mile. There is already coverage here. If we can actually just give it a bit of a slant towards small island states, that would allow some perspective to come through in that respect.

PAUL WILSON: Thank you, Maureen. I think there's something to be noted here about what these themes actually mean. In the MAG for the main IGF, the global IGF discussions, there was discussion about treating the themes as tags so that we would be inviting proposals to fit themselves into one or even more of these themes by more or less ticking and selecting one or more tags. That allows us to really identify the sessions that are not simply about one issue but about multiple.

It may still be worthwhile having a tag, a theme, for small island developing states perspectives. And then, if there are some session proposals which cover both, they could be mobile and small islands or something like that.

---

I would like to see it specifically there because I think that does give the slant and suggests a sort of slant that you've asked for.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can I just support that and also suggest it's a very good builder for a probable workshop to go into as some events at IGF. I think it's a nice build. We did do a small island states meeting and a very good presentation in last year's IGF, and I think it's worthwhile building on in this coming main IGF. So I could see this as a specific feeder opportunity, as well.

PAUL WILSON: Don?

DON HOLLANDER: One of the challenges that I see in the Pacific is while you have last mile issues, I think in the Pacific it's first mile issues or whatever the opposite is. How do you get into the country when you're surrounded by a lot of water?

We see that in the Pacific, there has been quite some interesting activity. There's a growing number of fiber connections happening. And in the Cook Islands, they've just installed, or about to install, the O3B moving satellite solution. I think that would be, in terms of a very specific event, I think that would be very interesting to have somebody as a user but also the supplier to say, "Here's another way."

Thank you.



PAUL WILSON:

I think, obviously, Delhi is quite a long way from the Pacific, so I think we would be wanting to identify some sources of assistance to make sure that Pacific folks could come. But maybe we have an opportunity to make some linkage with Indian Ocean, as well, with the Maldives and Andamans and so forth.

I would also point out that the link with the communication for SANOG could be very useful for sessions that have some technical focus because there may be presenters who could actually cover both meetings with technical perspectives on these things.

Is there anything else?

There's one issue which we've had in the past that seems to be not on the list of themes here, which is Internet in disaster scenarios. And that, I think, is probably a small islands issue, as well. We might add that to the list too.

I think these themes, as I've said before, these themes represent an invitation to people to propose sessions on these topics. If no one does, then so be it, but it might be a useful thing.

Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Just reminding people that in our presentation last year where we had Pacific Islands presenting various perspectives, we did introduce the



---

O3B and we did look at disaster management. So, I actually realize that we had covered some of those things already.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Following on from that, we also could pick up, Paul, from what was a sadly under-subscribed to but very good session that ran recently at APRICOT specifically on disaster management. I think, seeing as you do have those staff under your control, you might encourage some of them to perhaps assist with bringing in that.

That did bring in a main area, non-land locked and land-locked countries, as well as small island states. I think there's a good possibility of a nice little thread running here.

PAUL WILSON: Is there anything else on the list of themes? Adam?

ADAM PEAKE: Good morning. I'm sorry for being late, as usual. The theme perhaps missing, the last Asia-Pacific Regional IGF, Pindar Wong introduced a topic on virtual currencies. And over the last month, we've had some events in the Asia-Pacific region on that, particularly with the bankruptcy of an exchange in Tokyo and also more announcements from Hong Kong about them wanting to be a global hub for virtual currency exchange. So it might be something that is very forward-looking but also of our region and something that we've discussed before.

---

Just going back to the disaster work, this has been a topic of the IGFs of the Asia Pacific Regional IGF from past meetings. So again, it's a continuation of past topics. Thank you.

PAUL WILSON:

That's a very good point. Good catch, Adam. Thanks.

Gunela?

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

I'm looking at the number of things, and I think it's important we capture as many as possible. I'm wondering, however, if there were some that could be joined together, like mobile Internet access and last mile Internet access into mobile/last mile Internet access so that, depending on the number of workshop proposals that are received, that it makes it more compact in a way.

I also note that – it's just a small mistake – that Internet for economic and social development is listed twice and, obviously, that just needs to be done once.

Also, Internet business in the AP region, if that possibly could come under Internet for economic and social development. Understandably, there are differences in approach, but I'm just looking at making the themes a little bit more compact.

PAUL WILSON:

Edmon?



---

EDMON CHUNG: I think that that's probably a good idea in terms of consolidating some of the things. However, probably what we might want to do is to leave this to the program committee as they consider the workshops later because we're probably going to consolidate with the proposed theme from the MAG, as well, and fix it all so that it comes under different streams as we finalize the program.

But this is really just as a set of topics for, I guess, inspiring people to put in workshops. So I agree that eventually they should be consolidated, but I guess this is really much more for sending it out. It's kind of a fishing net. That's my feeling.

PAUL WILSON: It's a good point. If we have mobile and last mile as separate themes and then, in the wash-up of the program structuring, we could have a track for mobile and last mile, etc., and consolidate in that way. That's a good point, Edmon, I think. Y.J.?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: May I [inaudible]?

PAUL WILSON: Sure.



---

KILNAM CHON: I'd like to see the much closer collaboration between the IGF and the APrIGF. If anybody would submit to the IGF and if it's accepted, I very strongly suggest them to present at our APrIGF, too. One way to do it is let's pick up all those IGF titles. If anyone in the APrIGF, if you can merge under some area, then just merge.

Then, additionally, we make our own special issues with the region. That way we can have a much closer collaboration. Like last year, we couldn't do too well. IGF brought down their own from the Asia-Pacific contribution, and the APrIGF brought its own. I really want to see much closer collaboration between those two.

PAUL WILSON: It's a good suggestion. Y.J. first, I think. Y.J.?

Y.J. PARK: Thank you. One of the things I wanted to bring up for this table is whether we can talk about some self-regulatory model for the global companies.

Because what's happening right now in the Internet ecosystem is the global companies, like Google and a lot of those companies who are suspected to infringe the privacy rights in many parts of the world, they do not have any specific regulatory kind of oversight, as of today. That's one of the reasons why many governments, they feel very insecure about their role as the public good kind of the guarantor in this space.

One of the things we as users and consumers of this space is whether we can organize and self-mobilize this self-regulatory model that can



---

oversee those global companies, whether they do things in a proper manner. I think that might be kind of good of best practice we can present as a contribution.

If we can make it happen, then I think we can assure many governments who are really afraid of their lack of this guaranteeing the public good in this space. I think this might can liaise with the Internet business in Asia Pacific for dialogue.

PAUL WILSON: Can you suggest some words? A condensed form for the theme?

Y.J. PARK: Maybe the users' self-regulatory model for global companies.

PAUL WILSON: Peng Hwa.

PENG HWA ANG: Sorry. To go back to Kilnam's point, I'm wondering why we want to collaborate with the global IGF at this stage because I thought one of our value adds is that they were different so that the diversity, in fact, adds to the IGF indirectly. It's kind of like a biodiversity. If we are all the same or similar even, I don't see a real value add.

Another point is that there is some frustration within the AP region because there is a call for action and recommendations, and the IGF isn't moving fast enough in that direction. I put it to another reason why



---

we are having the Brazil meeting. People are wanting something more substantial than [inaudible] outcomes.

And finally, there's a feeling that in Asia-Pacific we don't talk that much. I mean, silence really is golden for us. In fact, I'm just reading up. There's some research showing that, as well, that in Asia we are not so comfortable speaking up. So in an international forum, we sort of get drowned out because we don't speak up. And so, to my mind, there's a real value and a real need, in fact, for us to be different.

So I'm not against collaboration in principle, but I think we should allow for and, in fact, greater differences.

PAUL WILSON:

Alright. Thanks. Sure.

CRIDEN APPI:

Thank you. Just going through the themes. Firstly, it's my first time here so I could be just spitting out garbage, so please excuse.

I'm just wondering, just following on from what was raised earlier about the regulatory issues, I don't see any heading there covering that area and to be more specific in more, I'd say, criminal activities. I don't know. Maybe it's already covered under a previous speaker.

My second thought was that in this group, what is the expectations of the government involvement towards achieving these objectives?



---

PAUL WILSON: I'll comment. I think if you would like to propose cyber-crime or some formulation of some theme on cyber-crime and/or regulation, I think that sounds like an omission that you've spotted so we could do that. Could you describe the theme? Is it just cyber-crime, or is it Internet telecoms regulation? How would you put it?

CRIDEN APPI: I'm just sort of talking generally, maybe something that sort of encompasses.

PAUL WILSON: Okay.

CRIDEN APPI: Or maybe I don't know.

PAUL WILSON: Regulation and cyber-crime, something along those lines. Kuek?

KUEK YU-CHUANG: Thanks. First and foremost, it's always great to have first-timers, so welcome. I think that might be a theme in terms of experience, sharing our reconciliation of law enforcement practices.

For example, I think there are companies who want to participate and talk about their experiences in the mechanisms that allow for that. I think that's attractive for law enforcement agencies and government to



---

come and join us, as well. That's one point. Maybe something like law enforcement experience sharing, so it doesn't scare anyone off and people are willing to come and talk. That's one.

I was just thinking. I was just pondering Y.J.'s point, as well, and maybe an interesting thing would be if it's just put out as a theme, "Self-regulation on the Internet: Is this a model?" Maybe that's one way to think about it, because it does seem we are held hostage to such a model in many cases.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks. And thanks, Kuek, because I also want to speak to what Y.J. proposed. It struck me that, of course, perhaps a preemptive step to developing a desirable best practices situation or set would be to ask some of the global companies. You named a couple, and I know Google has just announced moving to https, for example, for emails for one of the things they're doing.

I think if we actually approach, or if someone wanted to set up a forum which would encourage the players – both law enforcement, some government, and some of the more global companies – to actually talk about what they see as their efforts and best practices, then that might feed into a wider discussion, as well.

It does work, I think, under the existing themes that we have up there. But we might need to finesse it a little bit. But I think it's going to lead better to an organized forum than I don't think we're just going to get someone to put in a workshop proposal with this in mind. I think we'll

---

probably have to drive this one rather than sit and wait passively for it to come to us from an expression of interest point of view. Thank you.

DON HOLLANDER:

Just in terms of the law enforcement or government or justice sector, APTLD is working with APNIC and InternetNZ and ICANN to run a one-day workshop for people in the justice sector – so lawyers, police, prosecutors, investigators, judges – as an introduction or an explanation of how the Internet eco-system works and who does what.

And that then suggests that, if we're successful, we will have those sorts of people aware of the gathering and they, certainly if they're outside of Delhi, they'll be in the neighborhood. It could be quite an interesting opportunity to look at the roles of government in regulation in these orphan issues. And if we could have them contiguous in terms of days, then I think that could be – I think Criden's suggestion of how to get governments involved – that could be a way.

And people could share best practices. Then government officials could take those back home, which is what I always thought IGF was about is to share ideas and take them back home and implement them.

Y.J. PARK:

One of the things I wanted to explain how this kind of dialogue was developed, in Korea recently it was, the Korea government when they consulted with the different stakeholders regarding the Brazil meeting, and one of the things they expressed their concern is their difficulty



---

with communicating with these global companies, such as Google, for example.

They realize Google infringed on the privacy rights of Korean users. So, as government, they've been trying to reach out to Google, many, many times. But their response was very slow, and they were not willing to get engaged with this dialogue. They say, "We operate differently, and we are not under Korean jurisdiction. We kind of operate this as global company. We are not that much interested in adjusting to this national kind of the regulation thing."

So maybe these kind of issues can take place not only in Korea, but in other parts of the Asian or other regional regions, as well. Maybe we can share this kind of difficulty and, under this self-regulatory model and multistakeholder model, then one of the solutions to communicate with those global communities in a smooth manner is we can set up this self-regulatory model, a more specific ones, then those global companies should engage with the self-regulatory institutions so they can conform to local culture and local way of doing the business, as well.

PAUL WILSON: You seem very motivated on this one, Y.J. I look forward to your lead. That is a very interesting topic. Thanks. Govind?

DR. GOVIND: I think this is an important point what you mentioned. Two or three thoughts I thought should be there, like the cultural sensitivities of the





---

contents. I think we are all grappling with those kind of issues in the Asia-Pacific region, that how the contents and the role of the global companies like Google, Yahoo, and others, and certain things from the law enforcement agencies from the societal needs, which needs to be removed, how that is going to affect these global companies and how we can do that.

If there can be a session on that, how to engage more meaningfully these global companies on these content removal, cultural sensitivity contents and all those kind of things.

Second aspect is how the multistakeholder model, and the NTIA has announced that the ICANN to be more multistakeholder to move forward. So how to ensure that [inaudible] or the DOC which has oversight as overseeing the whole of the ICANN whether the multistakeholder will be a representative body?

How representative that can be a body of multistakeholderism to gel with the global aspirations, and how we move forward? What is the Asian perspective on that? What we look into that kind of perspective on the multistakeholder, whether it is a true multistakeholder or how do you select the multistakeholder of each stakeholder in that?

So those kind of issues can be, because after NETmundial, the Asia region, a lot of discussions will be there because until the next year, September, ICANN is to come out with a kind of model where they have to transition to that global management of Internet resources. So I thought that can be a kind of discussion in this kind of APrIGF where these two topics.



---

Apart from that, the cross-border nature of the Internet jurisdictional issues, there can be Internet and jurisdiction. That can be another topic. It will be helpful.

PAUL WILSON:

You like that one, huh? This has been a very interesting conversation. I think there's a lot of suggestions here that Yannis has been furiously taking down. And I think what we will need to do is consolidate these into a proposed updated list that can go to the mailing list as the proposed set of themes or tags for the meeting.

I think what we do need to do, though, is to look at the overall theme. We've got the proposal of Internet to Equinet, maybe with an explanatory subtitle to make sure that we don't attract the horse lovers too much. So is Internet to Equinet as a main topic something that everyone is happy with?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Yes.

PAUL WILSON:

And a sub-theme could be something like, "An Equitable Internet for the next two billion," or something like that. Any advance on that suggestion?

Internet to Equinet, thanks very much to Dr. Govind and Rajesh for that one. It's excellent. And then the sub, a sort of explanatory second line, which is "An Equitable Internet for the next two billion."



---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: How, what, when, where?

PAUL WILSON: We will find out. Come to the meeting, and you will find out. Okay. Is that done? Alright.

[Applause]

Let's move on, and that's to look ahead to the next year with the proposal from Macao.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Good morning, everyone. My name is Jerry [?] from Macao. Okay, I'm here today to present the APrIGF proposal for 2015.

First of all, I'm here to have a brief of Macao. Macao is a part of China. You can find in small place at bottom. It's next to Hong Kong at the right side. The total area is 39.7 square kilometers. The population from last year is now 600,000, and the official language is Chinese and Portuguese. People in Macao mainly speak Cantonese.

Here is how to get to Macao. You can go to Macao by flight and by ship or by land. Macao to here, Singapore, is within four hours. So within five hours, you can access to Asia.

So why Macao? Here are some points. Macao has the top [cars] facility for convention and its regions, and our government strongly support to

---

hold the international meetings. Also, Macao is the world-famous gambling city, and there is many new hotels and casino here.

Also, Macao has a unique culture of mixing Chinese and Portuguese, since Macao is once a Portuguese territory. And also in Macao, there is many world heritage sizing field. Also, Macao has many good food to eat. I think many people should have a try.

This is our experience for holding the meetings. The Macao IGF last year, MONIC is co-host with the Macao government and the society to hold this meeting. It is the last year, November. We are going to plan to hold the Macao IGF every year. Here are some photos of last year. This, the [inaudible] and the [furniture].

One important thing is the sponsor. Our government has great support for hosting the international meetings. Here are some information for the program. The meetings would be minimum three days. I think APrIGF should fulfill this requirement. Also, the government will be providing 25% for the furniture rental.

Also, for the translation and interpretation, they are offering about \$7,000 U.S. for the whole thing. And also the opening is around \$12,000 U.S.

Also, they are offering \$100 U.S. for each attendant for the [FMB]. Also, for each attendant, they are offering 30% for the accommodation costs for a maximum five nights. And finally, they can also provide support for the [inaudible] and also the qualified buyers.

---

This is the program from the Macao economic department. And here is some options for the meeting venues. The first one is the Macao Science Center, and the second one is the Macao Fisherman's Wharf, and the third one is the Sheraton Hotel. This is a very new hotel, and I think around two or three years. The last one is the Venetian Macao, which is not in the proposal, but it is also a good choice. This is the Macao Science Center, which we hold the Macao IGF last year. This is the World Heritage photos.

About us, we are operating the .MO registry, which is MONIC, and we are the joint HN Group and DotAsia. And hopefully, we will see you soon.

[Applause]

PAUL WILSON: Thank you very much.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Paul. Thank you. Very tempting, very impressive, and I look forward to going there. I wouldn't be quite so pleased, however, if we did just look at the Science Center as a venue without quite close accommodation. As we've said to India, there is advantage for having both the conference and the accommodation in a single package.

I don't think I'd be the only person at the table who would like to see that explored quite seriously. Running a national IGF, absolutely. Perfect venue, and if I was doing it, I would probably do it there, too. But there



---

is a benefit in having a single site that allows for both conferencing and some, preferably most, accommodation. Thanks.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay, I think in the options, the third one, I think.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, I remember the Sheraton. It's okay. Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, the Sheraton Hotel and the Venetian Macao is with the convention center and the hotel is in whole thing. I think is one of good choices because people don't need to take any transportation, and this is the whole thing – the convention center and the hotels. Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Exactly, yes. Strong bias towards those two would be my suggestion.

PAUL WILSON: Any other questions?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We do only have the one proposal? I don't think, Yannis, there have not been any others come in, have there? So should we be putting a motion forward now, or what is your intention?



---

PAUL WILSON: I think we should. I think the deadline is well past, and we don't have any other proposal or indication of any expression of interest or anything. I think the sooner a decision is made, the better.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Get this moving.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I second it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Moved and seconded. Does anyone want to argue with us?

PAUL WILSON: This is a serious decision, so I think if there is any serious discussion to be had or serious concerns, then we should do that. We might need to ask the proponents to leave the room while we have that discussion, but on the other hand, if there is no need, then there is no need. Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG: Not any concern or anything, but just on the issue of dates. Because the reason, often, these bids come in having multiple location suggestions is because we can't nail the dates ourselves. Just as a general going forward, we might want to.



---

Originally, we've always sort of tagged it along with the global IGF and calculated around what time we want the regional IGF. We might want to consider, going forward, how to deal with this now that we have a year in advance of finding the hosts. And hopefully next year, we'll be in similar position.

Just on that, not necessarily about this particular decision, but I think it's related in terms of considering for it.

PAUL WILSON:

I take it that, at this point, we don't have any proposed dates or any reservations or anything, so this would need to be confirmed. And I guess a decision would still be made, pending the announcement of the dates and confirmation of venue.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I think what we can do is, by resolving to pursue this as the 2015 venue, we then have a clear instruction on the organizing committee to go and talk to these people and nail down dates. Because it may be that, even a year out, there's some booking issues, but obviously do the math back from the main IGF.

We've tended to do these meetings around August/September, but there is no reason. We can come back earlier. But you do also need to give the opportunity, I think, for them to come back with what the availabilities are.

So I think what I'd be moving is that we agree to this proposal, and we then ask them for next steps, which is nailing down the venue





---

specifically, nailing down the dates absolutely. And we can then take it from there. That's certainly what I'd be moving. Thanks, Paul.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

I have a feeling that that 2015 global IGF might be September. There are lots of Brazilian people here, so we can double check with that. But I just think that the way things are developing from NETmundial and all the other things, September looks like a really good date. So I don't know, but just guessing.

So I suspect if we look for the end of July/August, that might be best, but we could probably get to talk to Brazil while they're here this weekend and get a better idea. Thanks.

PAUL WILSON:

Okay, is there – [inaudible] quick.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Just very quickly, you would think that Singapore is an easy place for visas, but just working this ICANN meeting, we've run into our fair share of visa issues. I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but if we can just quickly get some explanations of what kind of visa situation we have with Macao. I think that would be useful because we want to get as many people in as possible.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

I don't know.



---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think most countries don't get visas in Macao. I think it's over about 100. I'm not sure. I need to check. But for the main countries like Singapore and India and Hong Kong also don't need visas.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I do know a little bit about the visas in Macao. I know a lot about the area. There are a few countries which do have considerable problems, and it's probably easier for you to identify those, for example, Nepal. And so have that also when we hear from you next. Have the identification of the countries that do have considerable problems or time taken for visas because we don't want people getting out at the airport trying to get on the ferry and having to stay on the mainland side.

PAUL WILSON: Okay, so that's another detail to be confirmed. Is there anything else? Are there any remaining concerns at all that can't be addressed in due course? If not, then I propose that we accept the Macao proposal by acclamation.

[Applause]

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you.



---

PAUL WILSON: Thank you very much, and congratulations. Now some work will start, and we look forward to working with you. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, Paul, if you don't mind. It's after 9:00. [inaudible] agenda? One of those other hats has to be worn.

PAUL WILSON: Thanks, Cheryl. Okay, Cheryl.  
Number five on the agenda is the road to Sao Paulo.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's the flight to Sao Paulo.

PAUL WILSON: Yeah, the road – you take a road if you're already in Brazil, but for most of us, it's a flight.

Yannis, can you remind us of the origins of this agenda item?

YANNIS LI: I guess this agenda item was previously added just to discuss about whether there would be some contribution from the APrIGF specifically or any issues of interest to be raised in the Brazil meeting.



---

PAUL WILSON: Okay, thank you. The floor is open.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Maybe I can just start.

PAUL WILSON: Please.

KUEK YU-CHANG: I think ICANN is the troublemaker here that has been stirring the pot hard. I constantly blame Fadi for many things.

Just to share a bit of what I know so far just to give everyone an update, the secretariat has received 188 submissions so far. There have been some good ones from the region. For example, Korea's MSIP has put in a submission, as well.

The intelligence I get is that the secretariat is trying to merge the 188 documents. God knows, I haven't read all 188 myself. They're trying to merge these documents so that we have a base document to look at before going. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a constructive two days. Everyone would be just holding their own piece of paper, and we wouldn't get anywhere.

The idea is that we start off with a base document that we can review and then go for the meetings. The format of the meetings have not taken shape yet. Many of the Brazilians are here this week and next. So if there are any concrete proposals on how we can be better

---

represented, and I think Peng Hwa just now was saying that we often get drowned out. If we think that there's a particular way that we can better profile our voices, this is something that I think would be useful to discuss. If there's any merging of minds here, I think this could be a good time to talk to the Brazilians about what Asia-Pacific needs are.

ADAM PEAKE:

I'm a member of the executive multistakeholder committee for NETmundial, and so we're kind of the program committee. What Kuek has just described is correct. There's 180-something because it might be 185 or 186 because there were some duplications.

But there's a lot of contributions, and there should be a synthesis document made available reasonably soon. But it's taking a lot longer than expected because there's about three times as many contributions as expected, and they're also quite complicated and quite long, lengthy.

The process now is something that the committees are trying to work out exactly what we should be doing. Yes, there will be input documents that will be drafted between now and the meeting, and there will be public consultations about that process as it goes on. We're not entirely sure what those public consultations will be. But actually something that would be very helpful on an ongoing basis is, as you hear more information about this, then please describe how you think that public consultation should occur.

Because, obviously, we're now one month away from the meeting. The meeting itself is only a two-day meeting in Brazil. There has been a draft schedule that's been published, and that schedule shows that, of the



---

two topics, there's four hours to discuss a roadmap and 4.5 hours to discuss principles, which if you think about it in the context of this week is like having a public forum length of time to discuss principles and a public forum length of time to discuss roadmaps. It's not very much time at all.

I think the basic idea is that over this intervening month before we get to Sao Paulo, there will be the opportunity to discuss documents of around about five pages, which will be suggesting some kind of road towards consensus on what we think principles might be or what we think a roadmap might be so that we can go into the meeting with a notion that there's been a global, some kind of consensus process to say there is general support for this kind of document so that we can have some kind of output.

I'm being very vague because nobody really knows what's going to happen. The ideas of input now are very important. It's going to be very difficult. We're thinking about it right at this moment. And we're sort of thinking, well, I've just described the amount of time we have or don't have, and yet ministers are being invited and very senior people are being invited. Can you imagine a meeting that a minister is invited to where he or she is then told you can't speak? This is really complicated stuff.

If you start to think it through, it really doesn't work in a normal traditional way of meetings normally traditionally working. So everybody's help and advice and thought on this is really important because people just thinking, "Oh, dear, we're going to have ministers



---

there. What do we do now?" This is the kind of thought that's going on as we're talking now.

I'm sure you'll come up with something in a moment that nobody else has thought of before. I think the question, it's sort of like, "Help, please" basically. And it's not Fadi's fault. He's a nice man, so it's okay. Hope the meeting goes well.

PAUL WILSON:

Thanks, Adam. Adam, I suppose now you've reminded us of how much you know, which is always much more than you actually speak. And that's always nice, but it's good to hear from you. And I would just encourage you to keep us up to date on the mailing list so that we, over the next small number of weeks, we can hear more about what's happening.

Anything else? Any questions arising from what Adam has reported?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Can you [inaudible] any pre-meeting or post-meeting? I know there's one [inaudible] meeting? Anybody know anything?

PAUL WILSON:

Why don't you hang on to this, Adam?



---

ADAM PEAKE:

Yes, there is a civil society meeting planned, and it's being organized, I think, under the Best Bits banner. Jeremy Malcolm is not in the room, is he? But anyway, Jeremy is probably the one who is organizing that.

Jeremy is now transitioning between jobs, as you may have heard. He's moving away from Consumers International and joining EFF as one of their policy officers. I think he is remaining in the region, so he'll still be a very useful regional contact.

I think it's under Jeremy's organization, or Best Bits, and a group of civil society organizations. I would imagine that a lot of groups will be holding pre-meetings, and I think it's probably something – if people want to put an action point down that can remind us – if you want to say, “Please keep.”

We probably need, as a meeting organization, to understand what will be available on the day before, on April 22, so that if you want to have a pre-meeting, for example, this group wanted to have a pre-meeting, you'd know how to organize it.

So perhaps, again, if you want to make that an action point, then I can take that back to our committee, and we can make sure that you're made aware of what's happening and also how you could, if you wanted, hold your own meeting, for example.

PAUL WILSON:

Thanks. How many of us are actually planning to be in Brazil? A raise of hands. That's a fairly respectable number for possibly having a meeting, as Adam has suggested. Why don't we see if we can organize a spot on





---

that of whatever length is available on that day – if it's available, if you could confirm the possibility.

ADAM PEAKE:

Make sure it's in the minutes so my memory doesn't fail as much as it would otherwise.

The other thing is that the expressions of interest that everybody submitted to actually attend the meeting, there's a limited amount of space. It's about 800 seats total, and some of that has been allocated and there's the occasional VIP and things like that. So there is some sort of juggling of who can attend and who can't attend.

I would imagine, I would be quite surprised if – and I can't say for sure – but I think most people in this room would be fine. The overbooking is mainly from a lot of local people who have applied and one or two large corporations that have applied for many seats. But it should be okay for most of us normal people.

But again, it's just a matter of logistics. Something is arranged on short notice, and it's really hard to find 1,000 seats that has the type of capacity, the type of infrastructure that's needed for a meeting of this type, which is, of course, power to every desk, good Internet access, etc. It's not easy to get at six months' notice. That's the limitation, and so that's what we have to work with.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Adam, yesterday we heard that it was going to be just plenaries, no breakout sessions of a mere hundred?



ADAM PEAKE:

That is the plan. That's the plan at the moment. The meeting space is not one that can be divided up into other rooms so that you could have break-out sessions. But break-out sessions may be possible in the smaller places. But it wouldn't be, at the moment my, understanding is that parallel sessions would not be possible. So you can't break the plenary room down into three rooms of 250 or something like that or four rooms of 100. That's the difficulty.

[inaudible] sessions, smaller meeting rooms should be available. Working late into the night on the 23<sup>rd</sup> is anticipated to be possible. If it becomes a late-night drafting meeting where people wanted to stay until midnight, that should be possible. Again, we haven't had any confirmation, but potentially possibly.

Y.J. PARK:

Thank you, Adam, for the update. Having heard a lot of those the [gradual proprietary] process, one of the things I wanted to ask people in this room is about what has been the [proprietary] process in each country? For example, like Korea, there was some kind of the multistakeholder consultation. Based on that, Korean government tried to have the government of Korea's position about this, the principles on the Internet governance for the Brazil meeting.

So it might be very interesting to collect some data what happens in this region. How many countries have done this type of multistakeholder consultation meetings? How does the multistakeholder region, has it been implemented in our region? Because many times, the principle of



---

multistakeholder is really confusing to many different stakeholders and also in different countries, as well.

One of the confusions I encountered was whether these different stakeholder groups, do they have to have their own positions without consulting with other stakeholders? It's basically the position of private sector, the position of civil society, the position of government. If we take this multistakeholderism very technically – different stakeholder has different views – then the government doesn't have to consult with other stakeholders.

But, as of today, we don't do that way, either. So it's very confusing kind of experiment we are going through with multistakeholderism. So it might be very interesting to see how different nations are doing and implementing this principle of multistakeholder. Maybe, based on that, we can view how we can have some consensus on this, the new principle in Internet governance.

PAUL WILSON:

It sounds like a very interesting session topic for IGF or APrIGF, as well. Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Thanks, Adam, for giving us an overview of this NETmundial meeting in Brazil going to be. One thing apart from a lot of people gathering there and meeting and this announcement last Friday of the NTIA transition, how that is going to change the perspective to there, because that's a sudden development.



---

And the NETmundial meeting even otherwise was going to discuss many other things. So how this development is going to change the landscape of the total discussion there? Or is it going to be same kind of agenda there, even after this kind of thing? Will there be perspective changes in the whole team in the NETmundial?

ADAM PEAKE:

I don't think it's changed things very much. Obviously, some contributions are now, not irrelevant, but they're no longer – well, they're no longer relevant.

If you're contribution said, "Don't do anything about IANA," then no, sorry. So there are some that moved with the times. But generally, no. The notion that the roadmap is not just IANA. It was always about other institutions, how would the principles that we develop affect institutional development? So it could be all kinds of things.

But yes, there probably will be probably more focus on some discussion of IANA, but it's not the only issue. And the agenda, really, is being driven by everybody else. We're trying to respond to what we hear and going through the contributions and so on. So it's not changed it fundamentally.

PAUL WILSON:

One thing, Adam, that's quite clear is that the NETmundial is not about content issues of Internet governance. It's not about child protection. It's not about privacy. It's not about any of those issues of content or conduct or use of the Internet. It's actually about the Internet



---

governance model, the landscape. Whether it's IGF, ICANN, whatever, it's about that level, not the content.

ADAM PEAKE:

And also the principles that govern how we address those types of topics, as opposed to the topics themselves. How does transparency inclusiveness in processes? You can look through some of the principles documents. How are human rights applied in various ways? That can be very specific.

We have some high-level notions that we say. One of the things is that there are quite a lot of comments that say multistakeholderism is good. We believe in the multistakeholder approach. There's quite a significant majority saying that. One or two doubt it. There are one or two that are suggesting that this is impacting on democracy and democratic process, but that's the sort of the extreme of it. But most people think multistakeholderism is good.

But once you get into the details of that, that's where it gets more. You can dig down and people ask about roles and responsibilities and so on. So it's the details of the principles and how we apply them to different subjects that's going to be one of the main topics, I think.

PAUL WILSON:

It's probably an obvious question, Adam, but will there be any space in the NETmundial for booths for presence of organizations? I guess not, but what about distribution of materials?

---

ADAM PEAKE: I don't know. I'll write it down.

PAUL WILSON: It does seem to me that the least we could do is promote the New Delhi IGF at the NETmundial.

Do we have a postcard or a brochure yet for the meeting, Yannis?

YANNIS LI: Sorry?

PAUL WILSON: Do we have brochure or postcard for Delhi?

YANNIS LI: Yeah. For the Delhi?

PAUL WILSON: For Delhi.

YANNIS LI: Yeah. I haven't got it out, but it will be [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We're also bringing some.



---

PAUL WILSON: Let's make sure that we at least take some materials to promote the New Delhi meeting.

I think we're running out of time now, and we've just got some AOB. So, Kuek, last word?

KUEK YU-CHUANG: I'll just provide a clarification on the NTIA announcement, as well. ICANN has been tasked to convene the process and, on Monday, there will be a discussion on the milestones and timelines in terms of that transition of stewardship. That will be running separately from the NETmundial process.

If you're wondering what issues will be addressed where, we will be discussing on Monday on the milestones and the various for a that will look at the IANA transition.

PAUL WILSON: One last.

SUHAIIDI HASSAN: Thanks. Thank you very much. Suhaidi from ISOC Malaysia. I just want to announce or mention here that ISOC Malaysia is now attempting to organize the first IGF in Malaysia. Well, this is a very challenging task for us, and we have set a date to be right after APrIGF in New Delhi, which is going to be on the 13<sup>th</sup> through 14<sup>th</sup> of August this year.



---

The venue is also chosen and is going to be in Langkawi Island, Northern Malaysia. And this is done in collaboration with Universiti Utara Malaysia, which is organizing it on behalf of ISOC Malaysia. And I said earlier, it is a very, very challenging task to do this because to try to explain the idea of IGF and so on to various stakeholders in Malaysia, it is something not very familiar thing.

Running up to the event, we plan to have one big tutorial session, three-day tutorial session planned in June, and we call it Asian Summer School Internet Governance. It is tutorial sessions so that we plan to call the people, the various stakeholders in Malaysia. At least we expect about 50 people to come, and we are hoping that we get speakers. I've talked to Kuek and also to Rajnesh Singh and our friends in ISOC probably to help us to bring speakers during the three-day event in order to educate our [inaudible].

So that when we have the first IGF meeting in Malaysia, people will have idea what it is going to be and what can be expected. So this is a little update from Malaysia.

PAUL WILSON: Thank you, very much. That's good news about your summer school.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]





---

PAUL WILSON: Excellent. I hope you're also staying for the next meeting about the Asia Pacific Internet Leaders Program. Adam, I think you had one more?

ADAM PEAKE: Sorry, back to NETmundial. I don't think we mentioned there is an offer, sorry, there's a call at the moment. I just got on to the NETmundial website asking for people who wish to host official remote access hubs. The first thing is that all of the NETmundial meeting will be webcast, audiocast in seven languages, I think, the usual UN languages, plus Portuguese. That covers some of our region.

And there will be the opportunity if you want to set up a hub. Then the logistics committee will help work with you to make sure that's possible. There's some very basic requirements, simple things about you just have to be open and allow anybody to participate, and then you can set up a hub. You have to have broadband access and a screen. But it's on the website, and it's netmundial.br, and then you'll find the information. I can send the announcement to the list.

Remote participation will be available and also these hubs. The time difference is pretty horrible for most of our region because, at the moment, what time are we here? If it's 10:00 a.m. in Singapore, it's 11:00 p.m. in Sao Paulo, so that's really not good. So 9:00 a.m. when the meeting will be starting in Sao Paulo is 8:00 p.m. in Singapore.



---

PAUL WILSON: Okay, thanks, Adam. Okay, let's move on. I think we're really nearly out of time, so we're on to any other business. And, Kilnam, the history project? Thanks.

KILNAM CHON: Thank you. It's a big area. This is a very interesting area. This is area seems to be Asia start dominating. If you look into the micro mobile messaging service, there's Asian company still have control of about 70% of the global market today. So the seems very interesting an area to cover, SMS.

Then, of course, Internet governance. Again, this is something we didn't cover at all in the first two because almost everything start from the WSIS in this century.

Then security, somehow we didn't cover in the first two books. There is a lot of activity, and it's a big area. And probably you can come up with something more. I've got education, the [remote] education is a another area within we already cover not seriously in the first two books. But now it's a big thing like any other Internet applications. So there are many.

We are looking to 10 to 15 topics on if you can find a good volunteer, send us the typically two to 20 pages. Then the papers, sort of like a Wiki-style, start commenting.

Like, for example, in the case of Internet governance, somebody should come up with the whole 10-15 year history. Then somebody else may come up with APrIGF history. Then there is probably something more.



---

Then since this collective effort may make more sense, there is something we can do too much.

In the first two books, we did develop those books with over 60 people. But in this century, there are so many people involved, so probably the Wiki-style may be better to develop a book.

So if you have a good idea, please just let us know. We are going to post here on candidate topic. And if there is any volunteer, I will again post. That way, say like within about a year or two, we may come up with something very solid. That will be a good way to share the knowledge of what happening in this century. Any questions? You like it?

PAUL WILSON: It sounds like a good session for the APrIGF. Thank you, Kilnam, and I hope you get a few volunteers from this audience, as well.

KILNAM CHON: Yeah, I hope so. And we have to get an article.

PAUL WILSON: Okay, is there anything else? Because I think we've come to the coffee break time and we need to make way for the next meeting, which is Hong's meeting on the Asia Pacific Internet Leaders Program (APILP).

HONG XUE: It's a working group.



---

PAUL WILSON: Working group meeting. All welcome?

HONG XUE: Oh, yes. It's an open invitation.

PAUL WILSON: Okay. Alright, thanks very much, everyone. It's been a good meeting, and I'd like to say thanks very much to the folks at ICANN for providing the venue and running it. It's, I think, the best experience we've had so far for one of these meetings, so really nice. Thanks.

[Applause]

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]

