

---

SINGAPORE – At-Large - ATLAS II Meeting Organizing Committee - Part 1  
Wednesday, March 26<sup>th</sup> 2014 – 09:00 to 10:30  
ICANN – Singapore, Singapore

GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning to everyone here in Singapore. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to all our remote participants. We'd like to welcome you to the ALTAS II Meeting Organizing Committee Part 1 today on Wednesday the 26<sup>th</sup> of March at 9:00 a.m. Singapore time – or actually, a little later than 9:00 a.m. We're waiting for a few people.

If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking, not only for transcript purposes, but also to allow our interpretation booths (French, Spanish and Chinese) to identify you on the language channels, and to speak at a reasonable speed to allow for accurate interpretation. Thank you, and over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Gisella. We have an agenda in front of us somewhere. In any case – in the screen, basically what we're going to talk about this morning is to talk about specifics about events, the Fayre of Opportunities, the Mentoring Program, and some sponsorship update.

Since some of the people that we have invited from staff are not here yet and really for the event and the Fayre of Opportunity, my main thrust is that we discuss location, rooms, size, layout, that type of thing, and the speaker.

And Olivier just told me that he has to go to another meeting very soon, so I want to rearrange this agenda as to who goes first, and I will allow

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

you, Olivier, to go and talk about the sponsorship, so if you have to leave, then you can do that. At 10:00. He has to leave at 10:00.

Yes. So, let's do the sponsorship first. Let's then jump to the Mentoring Program with Fatima to talk about some of the specifics there. Once the other people from staff are here that has to do with the meeting logistics, then we will take up on that. Thank you. So Olivier, you have the microphone.

**OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:** Thank you very much, Eduardo. On the sponsorship side, we've had some progress. I'm very happy to announce that Google has pledged \$10,000 for our activities without saying what they wanted to be used as, so it's us to up to allocate to whether we want to do it for lunch or dinner or for the Fayre of Opportunities. Of course, we might wait a little bit more until we get a clearer idea of where we need some more funding.

In the meantime, we've also had follow-up from Afilias, where they still need a little bit more time to come back to us. I'm hoping that before the end of this meeting, we will be able to have a sum that they're ready to sponsor us with. They've said they are interested in providing sponsorship, but they haven't worked out the sum yet.

I also had a brief meeting yesterday with PIR, who are also interested in sponsoring us and they might be dealing perhaps with a cocktail or something that will enable us to network with each other.



---

So there is progress in this and I'm hoping that we'll get more information by the end of the week, as I'm due to meet several of the people that we sent proposals to.

Microsoft has also come back. They're currently studying the proposal. For Microsoft, it's a slightly more complex thing. They haven't been traditionally involved in ICANN or in sponsoring of ICANN activities, so it's a new thing for them, but they have someone that they're brought to this meeting. So they're discovering and hopefully we can get a follow-up with them.

As far as the others, there was some mention about going to speak to other organizations. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any movement on that yet. The last question which I asked – and that was an open question – was if you have a contact with these organizations, please either put me in touch or put the working group in touch or put staff in touch with this contact. Always operating with an introduction into an organization is a lot faster than going through a process of just e-mailing a general, generic address. There's more chance of us having the impact and having the result by having the right introduction into the organization.

That's I think the current status. VeriSign hasn't come back to us yet, either. They're also studying the proposals. What is sure is that with all of the recent announcements, the focus and the lights are now shining on ICANN in various ways, and so there is, I would say, an increased interest from sponsors, as they can see that it would be good for their image to show that they are supporting such a summit. So that really is something that helps us in a certain way in searching for sponsorship.



---

Heidi, there is also a sum that was allocated ICANN also decided to pledge for additional activities. Do you wish to share this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Within the ALTAS II budget, there is \$20,000 to be used for one of the events. Right now, since we've already reserved a dinner on Saturday, that funding will contribute to that. We're looking to you and the sponsorship committee to raise the rest of the funds for that event.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Heidi. That completes the sponsorship report. Of course, open to questions.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [inaudible], please.

RAFID FATANI: As a previous employee of Nominet, I think they would have issues with sponsoring the main ICANN meeting because it might be a conflict with them with the new gTLD Dot London coming up. It might be appropriate for us – as they are a non-for-profit organization – for us to try and go down that avenue, especially as it's in London. If they don't want Dot London to take the limelight with ATLAS, I think we might have an opportunity for shared responsibilities there with that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Olivier, please.



OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. Thank you, Raf, for mentioning Nominet. I have spoken to several people at Nominet about ATLAS II. They are currently sponsoring a pre-event, which is a domains...it's not a high – there are several things taking place in parallel in London. There'll be ICANN's 50<sup>th</sup> meeting. There is the ATLAS II. There is also one of these high-level events with governments, basically, and there's also a domains forum that takes place on the Thursday and Friday before our event.

Very early on, I have coordinated with Lesley Cowley, who is the chair or CEO of Nominet so that our events do not clash. However, Nominet is funding the bulk of that pre-event, so the last discussions that I had with Nominet was they weren't sure whether they would still have enough money to be able to sponsor other things in addition to that event. But thank you for mentioning it and I will follow up with Lesley and her crew. It might well be that they have a little bit more that they can allocate to us. That would be really, really helpful. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Next we have Tijani Ben Jemaa.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. Raf, I don't think there is a conflict of interest because, for example, .dotafrika, who is an applicant and who has now – it's a TLD already signed sponsor the ICANN meetings always, so I don't think there is any conflict.



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Next, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Eduardo. Yes, you're right, Tijani. There isn't a conflict. There is no conflict. I said there is a conflict earlier, didn't I? There is no conflict. Google is also an applicant for several top-level domains. The sponsoring of such events has always been seen as being entirely separate and completely unlinked to any applications that any of those companies might be making.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [inaudible], please. Oh, sorry. Raf. Sorry.

RAFID FATANI: Just to respond to that, I didn't mean a conflict [inaudible] in that respect. I just mean a strategic PR conflict of interest in that respect. They wouldn't want to put money forward for the main ICANN meeting and then Dot London taking a lot of the limelight because it's in London. I didn't mean there was a conflict of interest in that respect. That's all.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Any other comments about sponsorship? If not, I want to introduce Nancy Lupiano. Please bear with me, but you're the Senior Director of ICANN Meeting staff. Maybe you want to introduce yourself.

NANCY LUPIANO: I'm Nancy Lupiano, Director of Meetings Operations and I'm very happy to be here with you.



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you for being here with us. We're very happy. So since Nancy is here, let's go back to the agenda the way that I set it up and let's move to the second item that has to do with event agenda. That group is being led by Tijani, please. And I want to really, with the events and the Fayre of Opportunities, now that we have Nancy here, I want to really talk about logistics and the rooms and then we can talk about other details if we have the time. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Eduardo. Welcome, Nancy. I received your mail concerning the room assignments. I have some remarks here about that. If you don't mind, we tried to discuss them. First of all, the room Viscount – there is two Viscount. There is Viscount One, Viscount Two, and Viscount Two is better for us. Viscount One, you cannot choose it as classroom. Viscount Two you can.

NANCY LUPIANO: I have a drawing of Viscount in classroom for all of you. I've done drawings so you can see what the rooms look like, and you can see their capacities. So if you would like to look at these while we talk and then perhaps Heidi and the group can make photocopies if you want them for everybody. I only brought one of each. I didn't have time to do more. But I think the layouts are going to be very interesting to you once you look at them. It is set up in classroom style. Okay?



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Nancy, One or Two?

NANCY LUPIANO: It is the whole Viscount [inaudible].

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Ah, [all] okay. Thank you very much. This is –

NANCY LUPIANO: Okay.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Should we continue? Okay. Room one to six, two-thousand people in theater-style.

NANCY LUPIANO: The Hilton rooms, what we're doing to provide you the breakouts that you want during the Saturday/Sunday programs.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Ah, [inaudible], okay.

NANCY LUPIANO: Hilton 1-2, 24 people at a board table, Hilton 3-4, 24 people. And Hilton 5-6 is only 21, I believe. The drawings just went out to be photocopied. But they're all at board tables so that you'll have nice, close proximity to talk over your issues. We'll do plasma screens in there for you so you can project. I don't think we can do one mic for every two, because the





---

capacities on the mixer board that controls the microphones isn't quite as a large as that because it will then turn into a meeting room on Monday, okay?

The Viscount room you're going to use as one of your breakouts, and then I think you're also going to use – like I said, they just went out –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Windsor. Windsor.

NANCY LUPIANO: Pardon me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Windsor.

NANCY LUPIANO: Windsor, that is correct. And I have a drawing of that as well, yup. And the Windsor room is going to be the ALAC room for the week.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

NANCY LUPIANO: So you're using classroom, the whole ALAC, you, and the others are set in board.



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

NANCY LUPIANO: Now, I wish I could make the hotel grow because we do have an issue. There are not as many meeting rooms, so we're already trying to plot the ten days' worth of meetings to see how we're going to make all of this fit. So, hopefully, the rooms that I've laid out for you will work.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. I have another concern, Nancy. We asked for a room on Tuesday, but you didn't provide anything for that.

NANCY LUPIANO: Once the meetings begin officially, when we designed this summit along with you, it was requested for only that Thursday – excuse me –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Monday.

NANCY LUPIANO: Yeah. I can't give you anything but the ALAC room, so if you arrange your meetings, the ALAC room is a room you can use. We already have less meeting rooms than we do here than we did in Buenos Aires. So I don't have a rest room. It would have to be designed to fit your program into the ALAC room because on Thursday, again, we're isolating Viscount for you for your closing [plenary].



---

But we just don't have any extra rooms to isolate one alone for a summit meeting. So if you can fit that summit schedule within the ALAC schedule that day, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Would it be possible to change the setting of the room for this special meeting?

NANCY LUPIANO: I have to check on two things: the labor that I have available to do the change-over, the labor at the hotel. How would you like that set up?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Because if you put it in a new shape or in a classroom, it will not be enough. It will be something like 160 or more.

NANCY LUPIANO: Now, what are you planning on doing? That's Tuesday you're asking for, correct?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: This will be an update from the SO and AC chairs.

NANCY LUPIANO: And it's an all-day meeting?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, no, no. It's 8:55. Less than one hour, and then the morning [more].



---

NANCY LUPIANO: I'm writing this down. I'm thinking. Okay, I have how many people?  
160?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: 160, yeah.

NANCY LUPIANO: On the drawing that's coming back, as soon as they come back with the photocopies, I think there's room in the back in that little anteroom to add more seating. So as soon as they come back, it might be so.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Wonderful. My big concern is about the breakout session rooms.

NANCY LUPIANO: Yes, I know they're growing.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah, they are –

NANCY LUPIANO: You're expanding.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: They are. We have two very good rooms, but we have three small rooms.



---

NANCY LUPIANO: Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So we have to accommodate our groups accordingly, and I don't know if it's possible because if people have more interest in this group, you cannot make them go to the –

NANCY LUPIANO: Can you design the breakouts to have the one that is at the highest interest in the biggest? You got two big rooms – you've got Windsor and you've got Viscount. So if you could design the program to put those two big sessions in the big rooms, it would be very helpful.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: That's what we've tried to do, and I hope we will manage.

NANCY LUPIANO: Yeah. The only other thing I could do is – we had spoken earlier – is I could take one or I could make those rooms theater-style, but that means you don't have anything to work on but your lap. But we could fit a lot more people in if they were just seated in theater-style seating.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, no. It will be working sessions, so we need tables to work.



---

NANCY LUPIANO: So if you could help by adapting the two largest sessions to go in your two largest rooms, it would be very helpful.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: That's what we will try to do, for sure.

NANCY LUPIANO: Good, good.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. So you designed the dinner in Paddington.

NANCY LUPIANO: Correct.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: What –

NANCY LUPIANO: Because there is actually not one space in the Paddington Hilton that can take over 90 people seated at banquet tables.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry. I think you meant in the Metropole Hilton.

NANCY LUPIANO: Paddington Hilton.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Paddington.

NANCY LUPIANO: The Paddington Hilton is where the dinner is. It's up the street. Correct. And we've reserved their large ballroom. It's not huge, but it's the closest hotel, and we've contracted for the dinner there. It's very easy to get to, so instead of taking you on shuttles around London.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Last – yes, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry. No, you just said earlier there's not one place in the Paddington Hilton that is –

NANCY LUPIANO: No, the Paddington Hilton is where your dinner is.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm aware –

NANCY LUPIANO: There is not place in the Metropole Hilton –



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But that's not just what you said now. You said there's not one place in the Paddington Hilton.

NANCY LUPIANO: Well, then I'm retracting it, Olivier, and I am stating what it is. It's as simple as that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I know absolutely what you meant.

NANCY LUPIANO: Yes, in the beginning I said the Metropole Hilton does not have one area to seat more than 90 to 100 if we all sit tight at banquet-style. That's what I said.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If you look over the transcript, you didn't say that. You said Paddington.

NANCY LUPIANO: Well then, I retract what I'm saying, Olivier. It's as simple as that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But that's why I'm correcting it for the transcript. That's all.

NANCY LUPIANO: No. That's fine.





---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: And last, we asked for a room on Wednesday, 17:00-19:00 for 15 person only, and there wasn't stress about it because you said this must –

NANCY LUPIANO: There are two rooms that are now being quickly taken. One belongs to Akram for his meetings. One is a sponsor room that they are given because of their level of sponsorship. And one room ASO has pleaded for and gotten permission for, but that day I could simply ask them. It's a board room. It seats I think it's 24 people that I could try to assign to you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: But we need only 15 people, so –

NANCY LUPIANO: Yeah, I know, but the choices are limited.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Very good. So it – thank you.

NANCY LUPIANO: Let's put it that way. They're limited. So that's another Tuesday one, right?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Wednesday, Wednesday.



---

NANCY LUPIANO: Wednesday.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Wednesday, 17:00-19:00.

NANCY LUPIANO: So what I'll do is I'll go to ASO and say to them I need to use that room that day, okay, and see if they approve. And how long would it be? An hour, you said? I'm sorry, I didn't hear you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: 17:00-19:00.

NANCY LUPIANO: Okay. I don't think that will be a problem.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: That's what you always told me.

NANCY LUPIANO: Yup. I'm going to put you in there. Alright? Yes, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Nancy. Nancy, I believe that there is a lunch scheduled on Sunday in the Metropole in the restaurant, and that restaurant is going to be closed to everyone except At-Large.



---

NANCY LUPIANO                      That is correct, but that restaurant I've gotten a special favor for all of you to use it. So that restaurant is not included in the normal catering scheme.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                      Okay.

NANCY LUPIANO:                      Because nobody else in the hotel will be able to eat in the hotel that day, so it's a special assignment for you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                      Thank you very much. So again, there's going to be a Saturday dinner for all ALSes in the Paddington Hilton, about five minutes away. Then there'll be a sponsored lunch on Sunday in the Metropole in the restaurant.

NANCY LUPIANO:                      The lobby-level restaurant is called the Fiamma, just in case you want to write that down for the record.

EDUARDO DIAZ:                      Nancy, so this luncheon that we're having Sunday, they will fit 160 people there?

NANCY LUPIANO:                      The restaurant will seat up to 200.



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

NANCY LUPIANO: But as I say, it cannot be used. It's special dispensation that we're getting it for you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just one more confirmation, Nancy, please, that both the sponsored dinner on the Saturday and the sponsored lunch on the Sunday will be buffet for a globally, culturally-diverse community.

NANCY LUPIANO: We always provide halal. We always provide gluten-free. We always provide kosher if required, so all of that will be taken into consideration.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Nancy. I hope we will be able to fix all this at-most perhaps next week or the week after so that we may finalize definitely the program. Thank you, Olivier.



---

NANCY LUPIANO: Yes, you have everything I have just discussed with you, and it's in the record, so no one else is going to be taking that space. Alright?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much, Tijani. So we have drawings of the venue, and so are these accurate drawings?

NANCY LUPIANO: They're done on an AutoCAD drawing, so they are accurate.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, so I have a concern. Where are the interpreters?

NANCY LUPIANO: In ALAC room, your two interpreter booths are located right there on the drawing. They're right there in the drawing.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm fine in the ALAC room, but the other rooms, they're really, yeah.

NANCY LUPIANO: In Viscount, we have to move them in, and you will get French/Spanish. There's plenty of room. If you look at Viscount, all of this space.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I've been in the Viscount room, and it's crunched. It's going to be interesting.



---

NANCY LUPIANO: The entire program is going to be very interesting. So we'll move – the French and Spanish will go in there. I do not have room in the little breakouts, as you can see. If put a booth in, you're going to lose seating. I know, I know. But don't worry, there's plenty of room for –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So, second question then. In the Viscount suite, I notice there is one projector, not two.

NANCY LUPIANO: You want two [inaudible]? We'll put in what you want. The reason there's one projector is this room is used by ccNSO for the rest of the week, and they usually only require one. Do you need two?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We usually use two. As you can see, we've got remote participation on one side, and then the thing on the other.

NANCY LUPIANO: Fine, then we'll add two. And I will see how we can redesign. How many head table do you need? Because ccNSO needs up to 20 at certain times, so this spacing of the screen is very important where we put it in. Thank you.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, so that's the second point. With regards to the lobby of the Windsor suite, I noted there's seating there. Is that taken as an overflow, then, from –

NANCY LUPIANO: That is correct, and what we would do is we would do the video feed into that room so they could see what was going on. The door is open. It's quite a wide door, but that would have to be used to get your maximum seating.

Once the room is set up, Olivier, I walk into them and I see if we can fit any more theater-style that is available that the fire marshals approve because you can't block doorways and exit signs and things like that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And the fire marshals in London are very serious.

NANCY LUPIANO: They're very, very particular.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I know for a fact, for example, that the staff restaurant –

NANCY LUPIANO: That's very funny. They did have a big fire, didn't they?



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's, well...the staff restaurant based on the top floor of the building has I think a 90-people capacity, so –

NANCY LUPIANO: That's just about it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So for your lunch, staff will have to operate on a one person out, one person in basis.

NANCY LUPIANO: We're actually not using that for our staff lunches. We're keeping it open for requested lunches. Our staff are going to be eating in hallways – no, we have one small section by the other Hilton rooms that we're using for staff. In fact, we're setting up an eating area for the interpreters and for the AV crew and for some of us downstairs in a corridor that's never used. So lots of flowers.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There's a car park as well.

NANCY LUPIANO: That is where it is. I was trying to be very delicate.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much. Tijani, do you want to say something else?





---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, no.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have some more questions.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, Olivier, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Eduardo. So the next question, when I visited the place, is we're going to be recorded, of course, with cameras and so on.

NANCY LUPIANO: You will have the usual setup for Adobe. Definitely have your camera. I cannot attest to the fact that you're going to have cameras in the three little breakout rooms because it just has to do with capacity and how many cameras we have. But it will be in the Windsor and it will be in the Viscount.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you.

NANCY LUPIANO: But the three breakouts, I don't think we can do it. We just don't have enough.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And will there be this type of camera or the type of camera that is found in the larger venues [inaudible]?

NANCY LUPIANO: No, it'll be your usual type of camera that you have, like this one. If you need video for record, then I will have to price out if you want a video operator/cameraman and editor to come in specifically for it. You just have to let me know. In London, we haven't gotten prices back yet, but I could guess an average is \$1,200 U.S. dollars a day for a cameraman/sound, etc. Otherwise, you'll have the cameras that we set up in the rooms.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But in the main rooms, they have a camera that –

NANCY LUPIANO: Pardon me?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I'm just saying, that's the going standard rate?

NANCY LUPIANO: Yeah. It's average. It's more in some places, less in – but it's an average.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So just as a follow-up, in the main room, there are two types of setup. There is one type of setup which has a webcam-type thing that moves around, and there's another setup with somebody standing behind a camera.

NANCY LUPIANO: That's called an image magnification operator. Those are the shots that go to the screen that you see during the big session. That is what would cost you approximately \$1,200 a day.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. And the small ones? The ones that you can move around?

NANCY LUPIANO: The small ones are what the IT Support Team brings for the rooms like these.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, but the ones we have here are different. You'll notice they don't move. So I wanted to make sure –

NANCY LUPIANO: The IT Support Department is presenting their budgets to the powers-that-be to see if they can increase and better their supplies. The answer is not known yet.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Olivier. Tijani, please?



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. Nancy, can we confirm, for the record, that we will have interpretation in the Windsor and in the Viscount rooms?

NANCY LUPIANO: Yes, you'll have both French and Spanish.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: French and Spanish. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Tijani. Let's talk about, now, about the Fayre of Opportunities. Glenn, please. And if we can talk specifically about room setups and layout, room settings. Thank you.

NANCY LUPIANO: Yes. I don't really know much about this Fayre, so if somebody could explain to me what it is, I really would appreciate it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Nancy, I will try. Okay, I put together a quick slide to show – you're controlling it, right? Okay, we can go to the next slide. Okay, so our committee – I'll just wait – has been moving forward on the logistics for the Monday night event for ATLAS II. Top of our list today is – thank you Nancy, for being here – is the confirmation of the exact room assignment. It's obviously layout, confirmation of the designated



---

speaker, and we did hear earlier on sponsorship, but we'll see if we got it right. Okay, next slide.

Okay, so we've been doing bi-weekly meetings since I was volunteered to do this by Eduardo, but I'm appreciating the opportunity to do this. We've had a decision on the objective of the event in contrast to past showcases. I've shown a picture that I took at the Argentina LACRALO Showcase. Also, I shared pictures of the Toronto Showcase to get an idea of what the look and feel of the past showcases have been. So we confirmed on our objective, and I'll get to the objective in a second.

We discussed out keynote speaker in our weekly calls, and we need to get that confirmed. We talked about the entertainment music format. Again, I'll deal with that. It's under development. Event budget and sponsorship and the room setup. The key thing that I need to stress is that we wanted an open concept, meaning that there was no obstacles in the room. Next slide, please.

Okay, so mark your calendars. I'm just waiting for this slide. Okay, it's Monday night, June 23<sup>rd</sup> at 19:00, so put that in your Google calendar. I need confirmation on which room it actually is. It's just some of the discussion was the lanyards, and that's an open discussion, too. I don't think we've nailed that down, but it was purple and inscribed on it was the At-Large Summit II participant London, June 2014. In fact, I believe Eduardo mentioned to me about a logo on that as well, so it's an open discussion.

Again, you can see where – maybe I'll stop right now. Nancy, do you have an allocated room for us for that?



---

NANCY LUPIANO: The showcase opportunities are always placed in the ALAC room. In Toronto, we were very lucky with the ALAC room because it was actually very, very large, and one side could be used very, very adequately. Buenos Aires, we simply moved some chairs out of the room, set some of the bars outside so that there was a little bit more space.

So if we look at the drawings here in London, I can take out all of the audience chairs. I can't remove the U and the microphones, but I can take out all of the audience chairs and make it more of a stand-up event.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, which –

NANCY LUPIANO: It is the Windsor suite. It's the suite with the two sections to it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks.

NANCY LUPIANO: So once again, I can take out all chairs, which will give you plenty of space for cocktails to be served. I don't know what you're planning as far as your entertainment is, but there is, once again, no other room we can put it in.



---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So that U in the middle would stay? Is that the idea?

NANCY LUPIANO: The U in the middle would stay simply because there will be no time and I do not have the labor to take all of the microphones out and move the table. The screens will always stay where they are, as well. So if we take out all the chairs, there is quite a bit of space in there, as well as the anteroom.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Glenn, let me –

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, I'm going to turn to Eduardo on that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Nancy, to give you a perspective of what we are planning to do this time that's different from the other showcase is that maybe there will be one speaker or two and the music that we're going to have is going to be background music, and the main idea for this activity is to have a networking happening. We also want each RALO – there are five of us – to showcase in the table what they do, what they have so people can go around and find out more about the regions. Having a U-shape in the center, it will interrupt the flow. I don't know if people will get right there in the center to move around. They will go around.



---

NANCY LUPIANO: Yeah, well they can't go in the center. As you see, we've got too much equipment there.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Right. Yes.

NANCY LUPIANO: You know, you have that anteroom area where you can set up one – if not two – of the tables, and you've got each side of the table. If we remove all of the chairs in the room, there really is quite a bit of space. So we could set up a table for a display on each side of the U if those chairs are all gone. We can set up one when you first come in. That's over by the interpreter booths, so that gives that space. One can go in the anteroom. So there is a way to try to make this more of an open setting and walking around, getting to know what everyone does.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Nancy. So you're saying this other room – the Viscount suite – that is not available that night?

NANCY LUPIANO: That I would not be able to move any of the classroom chairs.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.





---

NANCY LUPIANO: And number two, we don't know how long the meeting that is going to be in that room is in that room. That meeting room may be taken until 6:00, 7:00 at night.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you, Nancy. Olivier?

NANCY LUPIANO: I wish it was different. I really do, but we'll try to make it as happy as it can be.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Eduardo. Did you look at the Palace room, which is the level minus four?

NANCY LUPIANO: That's the GAC room.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: They're not in there all the time.

NANCY LUPIANO: That room is set and it cannot be moved. It will be classroom style as it's said in Collier. For over 200 and some people, that cannot be moved.



---

Once again, you never know when the GAC is going to finish their program.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So, Nancy, to summarize, we're stuck with this room?

NANCY LUPIANO: Well, let's not say "stuck with." We're going to try to make it as exciting and enticing as we can.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Really, I really wanted to say "stuck in the room with the U-thing in the middle."

NANCY LUPIANO: You know, Eduardo, once again, it depends upon my labor. On Monday night, we are turning the main room to a new setting, so I've got a whole group of IT, AV, and house people moving that room for two, three, four hours. If I move this room, whatever meetings you designed to go into that room before then, you'd have to stop it at – if this is starting at 19:00, at 14:00, I wouldn't be able to put any more meetings in that room, and then that would mean another team of my people that night, when it's finished, to move everything back in place.

So I have to find my labor and find out – in London, they're not on a 24-hour call basis as they are in some countries. They're on a ten-hour clock, so it would be overtime, as well, for the men to turn the room.



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: So what I'm hearing is there is a possibility that if we coordinate the meetings for Monday to end up at 14:00, there will be a possibility that you can rearrange the room?

NANCY LUPIANO: Yes, and I have to check with my labor, as I said. We have not contracted with our equipment labor provider yet, but it would be a cost.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay so why don't we do something, Nancy? Let's take that offline and see if we can find out if this is something doable.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah.

NANCY LUPIANO: Absolutely.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, in my experience during trade shows internationally – and I'm sure it's the case with this location – they don't want you to touch anything. So we may have a bunch of volunteers, but frankly your contract is probably going to limit us to what we can move because of liability issues, so we got to be conscious of that.



---

NANCY LUPIANO: Absolutely, and thank you for understanding.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: But as we've stated, we would have preferred to be much more open, but I think we're stuck, right?

NANCY LUPIANO: I know, and I can't change the location of the GAC room simply because of their capacity requirements.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Okay.

NANCY LUPIANO: And that would have the same labor issue, as well.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So, Nancy, what I'll need to do is work with you with our stripping out the chairs and assigning the five tables for the RALOs. And you're saying this anteroom here up at the top is available, too?

NANCY LUPIANO: Correct. That is all part of your room. That's always yours. It's not given out to anyone else.



---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. We'll need to just give you – we did a drawing before, but we'll do another one well in advance with the tables required and other stuff. So, okay? Alright, so can we move to the next slide, please?

So as we stated, we'll have to work with what we got. The idea is, rather than non-stop speakers, the idea is for ALSes to meet each other, to meet their guests, they have information tables at the RALO tables to learn and listen and showcase your RALO that each of us will have. Okay, if we –

NANCY LUPIANO: Do you have any reason to collect their – do you know them well enough, or would you like to have bowls on those tables to collect their business cards for any reason?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Any of that stuff's nice. We hope to have some swag, as well. I'll get to that in a sec. Next slide.

Okay, one of the outstanding issues is our speaker. So maybe I can turn to staff to address. If you haven't seen a picture of him, this is Tim Berners-Lee. He was top of the list that we discussed, so maybe if I can turn to staff an update on the –

HEIDI ULLRICH: They're looking into it, and the Communications Team – Duncan – will be here this afternoon and we can ask him for an update at that time.



---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much. Okay, so moving on, so this is what the schedule looks like. It starts with 7:00. We have – and again, this is in flux – “The World of ALAC” keynote speaker. You’ll notice that things are fairly quick. Then the dinner, it all depends on our sponsorship whether we have crackers and cheese or we actually eat something substantial. It depends on the generosity of our patrons. And then closing remarks. Again, it’s meant not to be, “Everybody’s tired of hearing lectures the whole day.” Yes, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: So in the sponsorship proposal that Olivier has been distributing to potential sponsors, there’s no mention of a dinner. It would actually only be hors d’oeuvres, canapés, okay?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So those who are expecting a dinner, you better bring a sandwich. Next one. Okay –

NANCY LUPIANO: In London, don’t forget there’s late-night dining.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Indeed. Unfortunately, Olivier’s not here, but I think he alluded to the – we need a clearer proposed budget. There’s a draft one on the Wiki. We don’t really know the full amount of what the budgets require. We’re working in like the black box. So right now it’s only \$10,000, right, that’s been allocated? Is that correct?



---

EDUARDO DIAZ:                   What Olivier mentioned was that Google said that they were going to give \$10,000 per day. They didn't say for what.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:            Yeah. Okay. That could be for anything, not just for the showcase.

EDUARDO DIAZ:                   That's my impression.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:            Okay. Now, when we did the Toronto event, we got sponsorship from Afilius. Has he approached Désirée? Okay. Alright. So I guess we just need to put our heads together for more sponsorship. Okay, next slide.

Okay, so what we've set up: we have five tables, so as you can see, we have volunteers that have stepped forward to manage their table. They'll have their literature, their colors, their banners that associate it with theirs and get their volunteer through the evening. The only assigned person – I'm turning to Wolf here – Wolf, who can you assign? Or can you be the volunteer for your table?

WOLF LUDWIG:                   Sorry, was this a direct question to me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:            Yes, sir. I'm using Eduardo's technique.



---

WOLF LUDWIG: Oh, okay, Wolf Ludwig speaking on a precise question by Glenn. Well, I'm ready to serve my community, but not this evening at the table. Except for let me suggest to put EURALO Secretariat into this: Yuliya Morenets. And she's much more attractive than I am.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Is she here?

WOLF LUDWIG: In principle, she should be here, yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It's always a prudent thing to volunteer a person that's not here. Okay, I'll put her name down. Thank you.

So if each of the RALOs have a slide show, if you do not have one, we'll share the one that we've produced for NARALO as an example. We requested the table, tablecloths, a television that you can link up to your laptop. I recommend strongly bringing a cable for security for your laptop because if you walk away and your laptop walks away, sorry, that's the breaks. So just as a cautionary. We'll move to the next slide.

One of the things we decided on as a group, we didn't want a musical performance or a dancer or something that so everybody has to just watch that performance out of respect to the live performers. We decided that we collect some regional music representing your culture, your language, your musical taste, and so we assigned each area to





---

bring at least five or ten songs to the table. As you see, I volunteered for our music collection. Some people may not like my musical taste, but we'll see. But I need people to step forward and volunteer. Yes, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, would each table then have music playing at the same time?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it's through the regular PA system. It's low, low level. It's just background ambience music.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Yes, sir?

EDUARDO DIAZ: [inaudible] we have Anthony who plays the flute. Maybe he can be at the NARALO table, just showing us some of that to the people that are interested.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Is he here, actually?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Anthony? No.



---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Okay. Siranush?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:            Thanks, Chair. We have discussed this, actually, during APRALO call, so we have already volunteered Pavan Budhrani will be working on that, for the collection of all music from Asia-Pacific, and Pavan is here.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Okay. Perfect. Thank you. Okay, from the – is Wolf here? Wolf, do you have somebody you want to assign that’s not here?

WOLF LUDWIG:                        Yes. This would be as a most logical thing. While we discussed at our last monthly call and Yuliya has a mandate to contact some of our members who could be interested to help her to create this display, documents, etc., for our table in London and also to care about the music elements.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Thank you.

WOLF LUDWIG:                        But I think from now on, it should be Yuliya being boss of this and not me again.



---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. And I'd like to turn to somebody from LACRALO that they can volunteer or assign someone.

Okay, so we'll work on that. So we still need somebody from LACRALO? No? You guys are naturally musically-inclined. I thought you'd all jump on this one. Okay, yes, Fatima?

EDUARDO DIAZ: It's Fatima.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: I offer my help to collaborate with them in the LACRALO table and also for my collaboration to find some people from LACRALO to collect the music.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Move to the next slide, please. There's only a few more slides.

Okay, so we've created a master action list. Each item is assigned to a number and an update per meeting. That's the TinyURL for the location. It's working quite well. Eduardo, did you design the tracking system? Yeah, I really like it. So it's all transparent, what items are still on the table and what needs to be done. So if you want to jot down that URL, you're welcome to check it. And that's it. Any questions?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Dev, please?



---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Looking at the layout of the Windsor suite, which is the ALAC room and which will be the location for the Fayre of Opportunities, so maybe we can use the U-shape. It's not a hindrance, but perhaps we can use those as the RALO tables. So what happens is that the person to be standing behind within the inner U, and then we break it out for the five regions that way.

NANCY LUPIANO: Good idea. Good concept, except if you look in this U, you'll see so many cables and connections for microphones and feeds to the projector that having people within the U is not a good idea.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Just a follow-up question, but I understand that. What I meant was that – how should I put it – the persons behind the leads for the tables will be behind in the inner U. Then they'll be presenting to the people on the sides but once all those chairs are removed.

NANCY LUPIANO: Yes, I did understand that that was the decision you were requesting. Once again, it doesn't matter whether it's one or ten people. These connections cannot be stepped on, pulled out, or disconnected, or the next morning, you wouldn't have a program.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Sandra, please?



---

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Thank you, Eduardo. There was a slide. It mentioned program. Can we go back to that slide, please? Event details. What is this? The times and activities?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, that's a rough draft of what we'd be doing for those two hours.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: In two hours, we are doing a welcome, the word of ALAC, a keynote, a dinner, and a closing remark?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: There's no dinner.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: But still, even without dinner, we are doing this in two hours?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I'm lost. What do you mean?

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: I mean we have times there. 7:00, 7:15, 7:45, 8:00, 9:00. Whatever we have on activities is welcome, the world of ALAC, a keynote, a special speaker, no dinner, and closing remarks. Is this a draft? Of course it is a draft, but even if it's a draft, this is – I'm lost.



---

And what I also like to mention we are discussing a very special detailed things about rooms, room size, setting, and so on and so forth. I've never received any sort of a program where ICANN participated actually in the discussion. Looking at the program, Tijani mentioned we need a room for Wednesday for 15 people. What for? Is this the purpose of the session, to have the bilateral discussion with Nancy Lupiano, which is giving an update on the room setting and how we are doing this when the group here in this room – if you look around, there are so many people in the room that could actually contribute with ideas to the program and get the process running.

What we are doing here is a very special discussion which can be actually done in a bilateral manner on Skype or outside in the corridor – wherever. I'm not able to – I mean, I'm here. I'm dedicating my time to get the ATLAS Summit done. But I am not able to participate in any of the discussion because I never received a program. If this is a draft program, I cannot believe that this is something we can work on because this is not working within two hours, and I'm not able to contribute to questions like room setting or whatever if I do not know what we are talking about. And I asked my colleagues if I missed the program because I was not taking enough attention, but nobody here in this queue received the program or a draft or whatever.

So this is rather confusing to me, and maybe I missed something and I really apologize. If this was the case, then please correct me. I put ash on my head when it was my fault that I missed something of the process. Thank you.



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Sandra. Wolf?

WOLD LUDWIG: I can understand Sandra's frustrations because there were a lot of meetings, a lot of call conferences, but certain essentials are not well-documented in my opinion.

I think we had long discussions and we had a clear concept for this Fayre of Opportunities. First of all, we discussed for hours about the title. At the beginning, there was this ALAC malady, always talking about showcases, and I say it here again. I say it's hardly any other term I hate as much as "showcase." This is in my opinion so U.S. cultural hegemonia. This is Hollywood style showcases. We are not doing a show, and we were very clear from the beginning in this working group that we would like to offer a Fayre of Opportunities, an interactive thing for our members, contacted by our members, and not our members being shown like animals in the zoo: here you can have a look on our pretty members, 160 of them. Different spaces – from Africa, from Latin America, even from the Pacific region – they're all intercultural diversity exposed to a show.

In my opinion, we are clear enough this is a ridiculous concept, and we agreed at a very early stage to change the title. We had a concept on the table, and I think it would be more interesting here than in such around discussing about logistical details. It would be much more interesting for the participants here in this round to discuss about conceptual ideas and the framing of the event.



---

So the details like logistics can really be done in the sub-working groups, because it's rather boring here for such a round to waste time with it. But here really is of interest and at this point, I must agree: Sandra, it's perfectly alright. Here, it's interesting to discuss about concepts and outcomes of our previous sessions and to have it refute here, in the sort of bottom-up manner by the broader community or by the participants here. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Tijani, please?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Eduardo. Since Nancy is here, we asked her to come to finalize some things regarding the rooms, regarding the hotel, and we wanted it to be for the record here, recorded, etc. So if we can finish everything related to Nancy so that we can release her, we can make her go and work her work, I think and then we can come back to our summit, our things, and we can discuss them. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Any other comments, please?

RAFID FATANI: I'm going to echo Sandra and Wolf. I know this is unnecessary, and this is response to Tijani's comment. We are putting the cart before the wheel. We're discussing the details and the logistics of the rooms before we've got the details of what we're going to discuss afterwards. It makes no sense. It's too broad. It's too broad to be talking about room





---

sizes, the shapes, layouts, all the rest of it, if we haven't even talked about the final detail. We're wasting our time, as well as Nancy's time. This could have been done in the corridors. This could have been on the side saying, "This is what we want. This is what we've agreed, and then this is how we would like to implement it." This did not need to be discussed here now.

NANCY LUPIANO:

The very good thing about bringing in the floor plans to you at this time is that is what they will be. They will not change. They will not adapt, except for me trying to remove chairs from the ALAC room. So at least this will give you a point to design from. So it really has not on my part been a wasted amount of time, and hopefully it will help you design towards the programmatic issues that you need to discuss.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

In the organizing committee meetings, a few of the calls had been moved around this logistic problem of the room, other than the actual content of the substance of the meetings itself. So one of the main things I wanted to do here was bring Nancy, who deals with these things, and get that over with. I'm sorry if you had a different expectation, and I have taken too much about our time. I agree that we need to talk about the substance, but we need to get this out of the way. Otherwise, we will be talking about logistics and room in our current calls. So Tijani, you have something else to say?



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think we can thank Nancy for her time, and we can let her go. We don't have anything else to add for Nancy, and we can continue our meeting.

NANCY LUPIANO: Thank you very much. Get in touch with me anytime you have more questions. Thanks you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Nancy. So moving forward with the agenda, I have Fatima Cambroner. I would like her to talk about the contents of the Mentoring Program and have a discussion about that. Thank you.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Thanks, Eduardo. I will be speaking in Spanish. Before we're talking about Mentoring Program, I would like to make a brief comment regarding interpretation of the meetings. We have received our notification that we will have interpretation for two sessions out of five that we will be holding in London, and I do understand the lack of a space and that this is a logistic issue, but we're inviting new people that are coming for the first time to At-Large. We are working as volunteers, and we're making the best of our efforts, and then they come to our meeting and we tell them, "You have to choose one or the other meeting because you will not have interpretation in the rest of the rooms." So what is the purpose? Or what type of inclusion are we dealing with?



---

Now, I will continue with the Mentoring Program. We have a draft of our Mentoring Program. Some people requested modifications, including staff, so now we have go back. We do not have a draft ready, so we will be sending the draft the following week, and we will be sending this information to the new members of the Mentoring Working Group. I would like to thank all the members who have joined. We are ready to start working once the staff agrees with the draft, and next week we will start working on the modifications requested, and we will send that for comment.

The things that we were working out with the different working groups – the webinars – we have already arranged the schedule for the webinars, and we have asked ALAC members, ALAC leadership and officers may be able to contribute to this program as mentors, so we will send them the invitation and we will open this to the RALO members who are able to offer themselves as mentors and who have the time so that they can participate as volunteers so that they can participate as mentors.

We will also open a Wiki page for them to meet the mentors and mentees for them to gather together before the London meeting. Once they get to London, mentors could lead their mentees into the different activities and show them how to get involved and other things related to the meetings.

So those who belong to the Mentoring Working Group, next week you will be receiving information about this. Thank you very much.



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo Diaz speaking. Thank you very much, Fatima. Is there any comment?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, Fatima. We were looking at finalizing the schedule, so when are these meetings scheduled to take place, or when are you thinking that they are to take place? In the morning, I believe?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: We won't have a face-to-face meeting in London because we were requested to delete the meetings because there were no rooms. So communication along mentees and mentors will be covered before by means of e-mails or in the Wiki page, and then we will have informal meetings between the mentors and mentees. But we were asked to delete those for the schedule, so I don't understand your question now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Because, again, in the mornings you could use the ALAC room, but that means that you would then overlap directly with the ICANN Fellowship, and my thought was that some of the ALSes would also go to the Fellowship Program that Janice leads. So that's the concern. I think it wasn't so much the room space. It was that it would be a direct conflict with the Fellowship Program.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Okay, but do we have an available room in case we need that? Do we have a bay-level space in London in the morning?



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, again, this would overlap with – it would be early in the morning, 7:00 to 8:00. But that would be a direct overlap with the Fellowship Program, which I thought that you wanted to have the ALSes go to.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: No. Well, that is not mandatory for ALSes. They do not have to attend the Fellowship meeting, and we should ask Janice whether she has room to receive ALS members. This is not our decision. Anyway, we will discuss with the working group this week about this and we will notify our decisions to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Heidi, just to clarify the mostly what the change that we have made to the mentoring is basically something that the same thing we did with Anthony. We do an informal thing and try to get the thing of where to go and things that are happening, and it's going to be more informal than anything else. But there will be a mentor with mentees, and the idea is this mentor will take care of these mentees, [inaudible] questions or what have you – something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong, Fatima.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: That's right, Eduardo.



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Any comments about this program? No? Okay, so let's move forward. Glenn, please?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry. Is the Mentoring Program just a pilot like the CROPP Program, or is going to be going on past this fiscal period?

HEIDI ULLRICH: There are two different mentor programs. The one that Fatima just spoke about is the ATLAS At-Large Mentoring Program. That's a good question for Fatima and those leading the organization. I'm going to be speaking in just a moment about the pilot ICANN Mentor Program. Okay?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Just to reply to your question, yes, these are two separate things. We're organizing a Mentoring Program focused on At-Large, specifically for At-Large and for the London meeting, and for people who have never participated and who have never attended an ICANN meeting. So this is for At-Large people who will attend as ALS representatives for them to make the most of the meeting.

This is something different from the Mentoring Program that led by Anthony and his colleague, so this is a specifically for the ALS representatives in the London meeting. The idea is to be organized only



---

for this meeting, and then we will ask participants to give us the feedback to see if we can organize these for other meetings or not. At the beginning, this is just for the London meeting.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so we have about three minutes to end this session – oh, I’m sorry. I always forget your name, sorry. Excuse me.

AZIZ HILALI: Aziz. Aziz.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Aziz. Okay.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you, Eduardo. I’m going to speak in French. I just wanted to come back on what Sandra and Wolf said. We are a little bit lost. You are going from one schedule to the other one. You have some ideas of what your working group is going to do, but I wanted to have some more ideas to have a clear idea of each discussion. But as Sandra said, as RALOs we didn’t receive a project of each program of the schedule, the agenda to know where each program is in the general agenda.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Tijani, please.



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you. I think there is a big problem of communication because I understand very well the frustration of Sandra, Rafid, Aziz, Wolf.

I understand, but you know very well that those working groups or those sub-groups have been constituted several months ago and they have been working for all those months, sometimes one call a week, sometimes one call every other week. They worked hard. They prepared something. They put everything on the Wiki. Everything is documented on the Wiki. Nothing is hidden. We never discussed in a closed room. All our calls are open. The call for the working groups were open to everyone so everyone could be and could participate, but I understand that everyone cannot participate. Since everyone cannot participate, it's normal that all people will not be at the same level of information.

So the problem here is a problem of communication. Perhaps we should send some update to the whole lists from time to time. But I don't think that we should really do the work from the beginning because people are not aware of it. We have to inform them, that's right, perhaps there is a big problem of communication, but believe me, people worked very hard. And Wolf knows very well. He was always with us. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Wolf – oh I see. Do you want to reply?

AZIZ HILALI:

Yes. I understand very well, and congratulations to the working group for the work you made. I'd like to have a summarized of the agenda so everybody can follow what you have made and so we can know what you made, what you are doing – a summary of what you did, some





---

planning with which we can follow the work that you made, no? It's just that.

WOLF LUDWIG:

...coming from my side. Tijani, yes it's a question of communication, or it has a lot to do with communication. Nobody ever said that we haven't done a lot of work over the last couple of months to my memory, starting with Durban, yes? We have a perfect planning procedure and planning tools. And the documentation Eduardo is doing is perfect. Highly-admired, highly appreciated from my sides. So the documentation is extremely well.

The problem is how this is structured. In my modest opinion, I think compared to ATLAS II, we are dispersed in too many sub-working groups. So only a handful – perhaps ten people – being subscribed to many of such sub-groups get a sort of overview, or can keep up, can track what is done by the respective groups.

So the detailed work needs to be done by the working group. What needs to be presented here is short summaries of outcomes from the different working groups. Only short summaries, and not discussing any logistical details because nobody here can influence a room size. It's completely useless to discuss about room types here.

So this is a detailed logistical problem the working group in charge has to sort out and come up afterwards, saying, "Here the room is good. The room is so small. The room is bullshit. We need another room or we cancel the summit." But not here going into bilateral discussion with meeting managers. This is the work of a working group, and here we



---

have to brief the community about the results of the respective working groups and asking them, “Do you have any ideas to make this kind of refusing?” but not the actual planning work.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thanks you for your comment. Evan? You have something?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I’m going to follow up with Wolf exactly what he was saying, and in fact I’m going to be even more irritated. I have not said anything. I came into this meeting a little late because I was over by the New TLD Applicants Group. I came in here hoping to talk substance and content.

That hasn’t happened at all. This meeting is about to end right now. We’re over time already, so at least can we make some kind of action item that engages the parts of the community that need to talk about the content? Okay, we have the rooms. Having rooms – that’s great. But having empty rooms that we haven’t figured out the content for is pointless.

Can we at least commit right now to having an action items that starts the ball rolling so that by the time London happens, we have people to fill these rooms, we have chairs, we have repertoires, we have subject matter experts on the topics that were agreed to in the survey?

Populating that and using the community is as important a use of this group’s time as figuring out the room layouts. Both are important. I would imagine both could have been done in parallel because the



---

people that are interested in the policy and the content don't have an issue with the logistics, and vice versa.

Okay, we've crossed that. We're here. So how do we move on? Can we create an action item that engages the content component of this? We have to do this soon. We can't show up in London without these things being populated.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Evan, and I think it will be done. I really want to apologize if I wasn't clear at the beginning of this meeting. I tried to put the expectation at the beginning, but we have to get these logistics out of the way and I thought this was the best forum to do it. I apologize if we were expected for content.

Hearing about this communication thing with Aziz and other people, I recommend in your monthly meetings that you invite some – have a very small time – ten, fifteen minutes – for an ATLAS update, and we will be able to update you on those calls, too, for the RALOs to know what's happening. I'm sorry, Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Sorry, Eduardo. I hate to interrupt, but London is the next meeting. We have a couple of months away. If we have a monthly meeting, that means no more than three or four meetings to settle the content between now and then. I don't know if that's efficient. There was to be an ongoing thing, whether it's a Skype chat, a mailing list, or whatever. But I'm saying monthly meetings between now and then –



---

~

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: ...successful. So we need the contribution of the regions. That's why the RALOs will be there. That's why the Capacity-Building Working Group will be there, and the Organizing Committee for sure. This is a short meeting between 12:00 – it's not short.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's 90 minutes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah. Okay, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: In any case, is the answer to your question, Evan, is no.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Alright.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, any other comments, please? So if your expectation for this afternoon's meeting that started at 15:00 is to talk about content, it's not. If we have time, we can talk about it, but the main idea is to talk about the public relations areas of what we're going to do and how this is going to be, the messages that we're going to send out and details about that, and the communications on the newsletter and webpage and what are we going to do there.



---

Tijani's group is the one that will work in setting up the actual substance of the event that are going to happen – the five sessions and anything that has to do with that. Now, that's for Tijani to coordinate. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. For all people who are interested in the groups and the thematic groups, Evan expressed his interest in this work. Wolf, also. So, everyone – and Sandra, she didn't say. And Raf.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Do a show of hands.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. I am telling you that everyone who is interested in that, I will send an e-mail to try to organize an evening meeting – even in my room, if there is not a room to do it – so that we can finalize this question. It is already done, but we have to update it because thing changes it now. As you know, the announcement of the IANA, etc., etc., so we have to update our things. We have to update at least one of them. I am to listen to everyone. If you have any suggestions, those who cannot make the meeting that I will try to organize can do their contribution by e-mail, and every suggestion you have, I am ready to do it. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Any comments? Please, Fatima?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: [speaking Spanish]



EDUARDO DIAZ: Wolf, do you want to comment on that? Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes. Just one more point of clarification. Yes, it was rather difficult at the end of last year. Let me explain the other way around. We conducted the survey by big polls, and in comparison, with ATLAS I, at the end we had a varied range results from big polls listing, in detail, each answer of any participant from an ALS, but difficult to get an overview about the result in a quality matter.

Therefore, in the Surveys Sub-working Group, it took us a long time – at least three to four calls – to subdivide the work among each other to say, “Okay, from the variety of infos we have, you take question one, you take question two, three, etc., and you come down with a breakdown of the results.”

This took until the beginning of December last year. We finally came up, after a very engaged work, and I drafted what Tijani asked me: a summary of the outcomes, which is available in one spreadsheet, and to be honest, people afterwards I stopped mucking and criticizing around this ATLAS II outcomes and [schematic] priorities for the program plan in London, June 2014.

I think it is a key document of the previous exercise survey, which should have been here, somewhere on the screen, to have a look on it because in my opinion, it provides more or less a sort of basis for the program discussion.



---

I think many participants here today were coming because they were expecting a discussion on content and substance of the next ATLAS, but not so much on any logistical details. This is a question of how we prioritize as our preparatory work, and I would suggest ICANN forward it against this document and we should send it to the participants here to have a look on it. I think this will be more interesting, more exciting for them getting involved.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Wolf. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

I just wanted to answer my understanding of Fatima's question, and that is yes, the subjects have been determined by survey, but we still need to populate it. We need to bring in, in which room are we having people to chair the meeting, people to be the reporter for the meeting, people to be the subject expert for the meeting? We need to set up that population. We know the themes, generally speaking, but now we need to start figuring out who's going to actually produce an agenda for these meetings and engage the people that will attend and so on.

So we have the bare subjects, but there's a lot of work to be done in actually executing the results of the survey now. That's my understanding of the question here.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Evan. We're going to finish this meeting with Tijani's comments.



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Eduardo. Thank you, Fatima, for your comment because it's exactly what you said. The survey served to define the five top themes chosen by the ALSes. As I said before, things changed meanwhile, and I think that it is interesting. That's why I want this group who is interested in the content to meet. We have to change slightly at least one of the themes to make it up-to-date with what is happening now.

Also, as Evan said, the process of constitution of the groups to choose the Chair, to choose the reporter, this process cannot begin before we have the whole groups constituted. We sent e-mails to all the ALSes, to all the RALOs, to ask them, "Please give us your preference for those themes," and we received few response, less than 50%. I asked – on Sunday, I think – all the RALOs, "Please, please tell your ALS to choose their themes. Otherwise, we will be obliged to assign them to themes perhaps they will not want, they will not like."

So all these is linked, but now what is important is to decide how we will change a little bit one of the themes so that it will be in accordance with what is happening now. This is what I wanted to say. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. I want to end this meeting maybe not only apologizing, but maybe for not being clear in the expectations. The agenda was put in a long time ago, and really, the conversation about the logistics with the rooms took longer than we all expected. Again, I'm going to have an – yeah, it happens. I'm sorry. That's the way you learn. So anyhow, the





---

next steps will be working on the substance, okay? [That's to] make sure about that.

I just want to conclude that I want to have an open action item where we can send a note to all the RALO chairs to include in your monthly agendas, at least sometime, to invite the ATLAS Organization Committee, one of our members, to give you an update on the things that are happening so that everybody in the region knows so it doesn't happen that what Aziz says about not knowing what was going on.

So I invite you to this afternoon meeting. Again, it's not about content. It's about if you want to know what's happening in the public relations that we're going to put together around this event, and to know about what the Communications Group is going with the newsletter and webpage and details about that, please come and participate. Thank you so much. This meeting has been adjourned.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**

