[Comment-Ip] Re: Comments on WIPO report sought (was Re: [IFWP] ICANN and WIPO in Berlin)

Without commenting on the proposed 'exclusionary" practice itself, I note
that Mr. Oppedahl impliedly misstates the standard for being a famous mark.
 It is not "coined and unique."  Non-coined marks which are famous include
JOHNNIE WALKER, CADILLAC and NIKE.

Demonstrably unique (or more to the point, demonstrably famous) is a
different concept from "coined and unique" and should not be confused.

Again, as a disclaimer, I am not supporting in this post the exclusionary
list proposal - I beleive however, that a correct understanding of
"demonstrably unique" will be necessary in evaluating the "abusive
registration"  concept - it may be the case that a well-designed abusive
registration process will reduce the need for an exclusion process.