[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [IFWP] The ICANN Ruckus
- To: Becky Burr <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Esther Dyson <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Mike Roberts <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [IFWP] The ICANN Ruckus
- From: Jay Fenello <Jay@Iperdome.com>
- Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 14:18:05 -0400
- Cc: IFWP Discussion List <email@example.com>, DOMAIN-POLICY@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-Reply-To: <19990819105657.A10830@songbird.com>
- References: <199908191714.NAA13181@smtp6.mindspring.com><005601beea4c$14e63d80$0201a8c0@ggg702><199908191714.NAA13181@smtp6.mindspring.com>
At 01:56 PM 8/19/99 , Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 01:13:36PM -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
>> By all appearances, these two sides have been equally matched,
>> with approximately the same number of people supporting each
>> of these positions.
>> Yet, over time, the technocracy has come to dominate ICANN.
>> ICANN has justified this by claims of wide-spread community
>> "consensus". But if the public support has been approximately
>> equal, exactly how has this consensus been arrived at?
>As Ayn Rand was so fond of saying: "Examine your assumptions." The
>public support has not been "approximately equal". In fact, the
>faction you describe as "establishing world-wide self-governance" is
>closer to a lunatic fringe than a faction.
I would hardly call Larry Lessig, David Post,
Jamie Love, Milton Mueller and Ira Magaziner
part of the lunatic fringe.
But then again, I guess there is only one way
to know for certain -- establish some method of
measuring consensus, aka voting.
Those who believe that this is about self
governance *support* such voting.
You do *not*!
So while you claim we are part of the lunatic
fringe, you also prevent any meaningful way to
measure our voice.
Please explain your inconsistencies?
President, Iperdome, Inc. 404-943-0524
What's your .per(sm)? http://www.iperdome.com
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is
ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third,
it is accepted as self-evident." (Arthur Schopenhauer)