[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Press Scrutiny
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, Dan Goodin <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Press Scrutiny
- From: Jay Fenello <Jay@Iperdome.com>
- Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 12:22:08 -0400
- Cc: Becky Burr <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "email@example.com" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Esther Dyson <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Mike Roberts <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, DOMAIN-POLICY@LISTS.INTERNIC.NET, email@example.com
- In-Reply-To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <Version.email@example.com><199909041602.MAA11330@smtp7.atl.mindspring.net><firstname.lastname@example.org>
At 08:22 AM 9/7/99 , Dan Goodin wrote:
>For the record, no one at News.com has *ever* admitted to coordinating our
>coverage with anyone. News.com believes it has provided balanced,
>hard-hitting coverage and analysis of DNS controversies.
>At 08:27 PM 9/6/99 -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
>>First, I revealed some exchanges that I had with a
>>reporter at News.com who admitted that the press was
>>coordinating their coverage, and how they were biasing
>>their stories to make them favorable to ICANN.
> Dan Goodin <> Reporter <> CNET News.com
> http://www.news.com <> 1160 Battery St. <> San Francisco, CA 94111
> voice: 415-364-8176 <> fax: 415-395-9254
Here's the relevant exchange:
At 11:37 AM 7/10/99 -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
>At 04:37 PM 7/9/99 , Dan Goodin wrote:
>>Furthermore, Joe never emails me with opinions on the
>>matter. In contrast, I know of at least a half dozen reporters covering
>>the NSI/ICANN debate who were not aware you were a paid consultant, and
>>they receive lots of opinionated emails from you on the issue.
>What reporters are you referring to?
At 01:22 PM 7/11/99 , Dan Goodin wrote:
>At 11:37 AM 7/10/99 -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
>>What reporters are you referring to?
>Courtney Macavinta, Beth Lipton, and reporters at other
>nationionally-distributed publications whom I do not have permission to
At 04:36 PM 7/11/99 -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
>At 01:22 PM 7/11/99 , Dan Goodin wrote:
>>Courtney Macavinta, Beth Lipton, and reporters at other
>>nationionally-distributed publications whom I do not have permission to
>Why am *I* a topic of discussion between
>Seems very curious to me!
>FWIW, it has long been observed and rumored
>that some coordination of positions is in
>effect at some of the larger news outlets.
>Thanks for confirming these suspicions.
Frankly, your comments are just the smoking
gun. The carcass in the driveway is News.com's
(and the rest of the media's) refusal to print
the "untold" story about ICANN.
In closing . . .
I find it ironic that the more noise I make
about the blackout, the more you try and
justify your silence!
If News.com were sincere, however, you would
simply publish "the other perspectives." But
alas, when all is said and done, your coverage
has not changed.
President, Iperdome, Inc. 770-392-9480
What's your .per(sm)? http://www.iperdome.com
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is
ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third,
it is accepted as self-evident." (Arthur Schopenhauer)