Re: [Membership] Re: Individual Memberships

They can be contained in three  ways:

1 - disclosure (as we are doing on our Website).

2- proper behavior: We have to remember that we do not owe the donors any
favors.

3 - time limits.  We need to move forward with plans to be funded by
registry/registrar fees, among other sources, so that we no longer need
donations.

And of course we need try to keep our spending down, so that we just don't
need that much money!

Esther

At 03:48 PM 15/02/99 -0000, Dr Nii Quaynor wrote:
>>A 19:25 14/02/99 -0500, Michael Sondow a écrit :
>>>Daniel Kaplan makes a proposal that has a false premise. He says "I
>>>would not like ICANN to be sponsored by firms." The premise is that
>>>ICANN is not yet sponsored by firms. This is false. The GIP firms
>>>are sponsoring it.
>>>
>>>Recently, a call was put out by one of the GIP organizers (I forget
>>>who, maybe Vincent Cerf) for more money from the GIP member firms
>>>for ICANN. Daniel Kaplan says he wouldn't like ICANN to have
>>>corporate sponsoring. I'd like to know what he has to say to the
>>>present corporate sponsoring.
>>>
>>>Will Mr. Kaplan reply?
>>
>>Why wouldn't I reply?
>>
>>1/ I was personnally not aware of how ICANN was financed until the recent
>>exchange of messages.
>>
>>2/ To me, the way ICANN has been financed from October 1998 until now is a
>>slightly different issue: since there has been no real provision on
>>funding, I don't know how ICANN could do otherwise in the very short run.
>>But I agree it should not last.
>>

>Can we realistically have an ICANN without corporate sponsorship? Why is
>corporate sponsorship considered harmful in this case? How can the perceived
>dangers of corporate sponsorship be contained?
>
>Nii

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"