
van Leibovitch: Alright, so we've done essentially the roll call, so I've got Gordon and Gareth on the phone; is there anybody else who's on Adiga? Okay, so here is myself, Darlene, Eduardo, Annalisa, Beau, as well as Mattias and Heidi so I guess we will get things under way. First of all, thanks to everybody and thanks for showing up an hour later than usual.

Okay. So, proposed agenda items, update from the Cartagena meeting. Well...

Darlene Thompson: Number two – review summary minutes and action items.

Evan Leibovitch: Oh, sorry. Okay, so just going to the link. Does anyone have any comments from summary minutes and action items from previous meetings in terms of follow up? I've got action items – will send a reminder to those who have action items from last meeting. Alan will prepare documents summarizing his thoughts on the document and sending it to the mailing list. Okay.

We've already sent a note about Eric's acclimation to be sent to ALAC and in fact, Eric is here in Cartagena. Unfortunately, Gareth couldn't come, so Eric who was nominated and elected as the unaffiliated user representative is here. He's actually represented us very well and brings some really good background to the meeting.

I've had some very nice long conversations with him and it's interesting because especially since we had things on registrars

private meetings, like Toronto and Rome, Eric was in some of those meetings and has been able to give us some insight to what has happened on the inside of that. So it actually gives us a little bit more to work with when we're trying to work towards openness in that field.

Yesterday was an all day ALAC strategy meeting. Since I'm not the only one there, is there anybody here who would like to say a few words about what they thought of the meeting, what went on, what was done? Anybody?

Darlene Thompson: May I?

Evan Leibovitch: Yes, Darlene, go ahead.

Darlene Thompson: I just thought it was a really good day and we had a lot of useful information and I really enjoyed it. I found it really good just compared to others.

Evan Leibovitch: It was good. Actually I quite liked Sebastien's team building exercise in the middle where everyone had to say something either intimate or somewhat embarrassing about themselves. And so we now have something with which we can embarrass each other as the time comes.

Gareth Shearman: I'm glad I missed that.

Male: Is it something we might want to try to repeat?

Heidi Ullrich: It's in the transcription.

Evan Leibovitch: Yes, and we're told it's going to be sent out in all of the UN official languages. Okay, but there is some serious work being done this week. Beau is there anything you want to say about the consumer constituency or the work, I mean it's my understanding there's going to be some progress made along that.

Beau Brendler: I'm not sure if everyone here is on the list, maybe you are, but I've been corresponding with Alex [inaudible 0:04:12] who heads up a consumer focused interest group in the NCSG. We have decided together that we think it's time to team up because the official processes and whatnot have largely failed us.

I guess I can't necessarily say that for Alex, but the consumer constituency has been sitting on the back burner now for two years, which is ludicrous and I can't get anyone from the Board to talk about it. I've tried to engage individual Board members and it just doesn't seem to be on their agenda or on their radar.

So I've been in touch with Avri and Avri had some particular prescribed bureaucratic steps to take in order for me to join NCSG and in order for all of that to happen which I have done and I have forwarded to the internal ALAC lists. So we hope to make some progress. I mean I think, Evan and I had dinner in Bogota and we kind of both realized that we had reached what amounts to a "what the hell", actually it's better used with an "f" but I won't do that on

the tape, moment in our time at ICANN. I think we've both been doing this for three years now and we've had little bits and pieces of success along the way trying to push a user agenda, a consumer agenda, a set of principles, whatever you want to call them that are not solely driven by registrars and contracted parties and realized that we hadn't gotten all that far.

So hopefully here maybe this announcement will stir up a little excitement for unity as opposed to bureaucracy and a group of us can sit down and not worry about turf battles and perhaps write out an eight or ten or fifteen point manifesto for consumer rights and user rights within ICANN that can span not just what the GNSO constituency would have done, but kind of go throughout the areas of ICANN that touch on consumer stuff. So that's the update.

Evan Leibovitch:

Okay. In addition to that Scott Penzon was meeting with us earlier in the day yesterday about some of ICANN's new movements in terms of communications. It was raised to him that communications, at least as they relate to At-Large, is a two way street; you can't just send things down you also expect to be able to get things up which enables the bottom up process.

As a result of that actually, Scott and I are going to be meeting tonight at about 10:00 offline, together with Olivier, in order to try and iron out some of the specifics of what we talked about yesterday. And I think there's some really good progress being made along the lines of that.

Gareth Shearman: Evan, it's Gareth, can I say something please?

Evan Leibovitch: Please.

Gareth Shearman: Yeah I just wanted to join in with what Beau just said. As Beau knows I've been following his efforts to get a constituency going right from the first. And I think that his initiative, I've read the emails that he's sent out earlier this morning, just a few minutes ago, and it sounds to me like that's the only way we can proceed at this point because everything else seems to be stymied. So I'm in support of what you're doing Beau and please keep me in the loop.

Beau Brendler: Thank you Gareth. I appreciate that.

Evan Leibovitch: Heidi, did you want to add something?

Heidi Ullrich: Just two items. One on the consumer issues, that there is going to be a meeting talking about the consumer constituency and Beau and Alex's discussions I believe, Wednesday at 8:30 to 9:30. I'll double check that.

Beau Brendler: May I respectfully interrupt and say that as the proposed co-Chair of the proposed consumer constituency, that I'm only learning this about now is very strange to me. What exactly are we doing in this meeting on Wednesday that I'm supposed to be co-Chairing?

Heidi Ullrich: I can send you the agenda. Rosemary has been in touch with Avri, etc.

Beau Brendler: Oh that meeting?

Heidi Ullrich: That meeting. Okay, so that meeting. So I'll double check on the time. And just on the meeting you're going to be having with Scott tonight, we had a short discussion on that and we thought one of the takeaways, if you agree, would be for Scott, Filiz who is a new Senior Manager, Director for Participation and Engagement, Mandy and myself to have regular meetings, so we can all bring everything together so there is not these random issues going on without any kind of communication internally.

Evan Leibovitch: Bring it on. Beau?

Beau Brendler: I also just have one thing I forgot to add that's germane is that there's now a petition for a not for profit constituency. I think we heard heard the rumblings of that getting started, but if there's a not for profit constituency a consumer constituency, the NCSG thing, I mean it's even more of a stronger case for a unified front. If anybody knows about the not for profit constituency I'd be delighted to hear about it because I don't know anything about it.

Evan Leibovitch: So this is distinct from the one that the Red Cross is being part of and all that?

Beau Brendler: I think it's Debra's, I think that's the one Debra's trying to put together yeah.

Evan Leibovitch:

Oh, okay. So that's been in the works, not quite as long as the consumer thing, but she's been trying to move that forward. Okay. So the theme of a lot of the meeting yesterday was improving communications. In the afternoon we heard from the public participation group and so there's been other good stuff out of that.

I would like to move things along because we really have had less than two full days of a whole weeks worth of meetings. So there's a limit to how much we can talk about that today. So does anyone else have anything else that they want to add about this week, this meeting, Cartagena, anything good, bad, or otherwise? Annalisa?

Annalisa Roger:

Sure, Evan, is there some discussion that is on the table about a NARALO point of view for the gTLDs or not? It's okay either way, but if there is I'd like to partake.

Evan Leibovitch:

Okay, so what we've done so far is an overview of what's happened so we can move on now to some of the pressing issues going forward. Couple of things going forward from ALAC, one of them is a statement on the ATRT that was sent this morning, it was past the deadline, but it was something that Cheryl made clear that we'd been working on.

This draft of work to do with the ATRT and essentially what's happening is ALAC is making a suggestion that just as the ATRT is suggesting that the communications between the GAC and the Board be improved that this be generalized so that ICANN's relationship with its advisory committees be more generalized and

standardized. And so rather than you treat SSAC this way and GAC this way and ALAC this way, that we have advisory committees and this is how we treat them.

And as I've been finding out lately, this is something that, contrary to my initial fear, seems to be having some GAC backing as well. So the big help is finding out that this is not being seen as a zero sum gain. That for ALAC to gain influence that the GAC must lose it. This is a minor victory, but I think that's happening. So with a little luck this will go through.

In addition, each of the work team from At-Large has been, is meeting over this week. And so I believe just about everybody from NARALO is part of one work team or another. Work Team A met this morning, I guess the others are yet to meet through the week. There will be a wrap up on Thursday where everybody reports what they've been doing. Work Team A went very well, we're actually coming up with some bylaw suggestions to the Board.

We had a meeting with ICANN legal this morning. The bylaw adjustments aren't major, but they firmly establish that ALAC has a policy role, which actually is something that needs to be asserted in the face of some of the policy work that we've been doing so far together with the GAC and GNSO.

The other thing that's going on is that ALAC is going to be voting tomorrow on a statement on new gTLDs. This is something that

the gTLD working group has been doing for some time. There was a community hone call last month on this, and so it's been open for comments. And Annalisa did you have something you wanted to say or you just have some comments?

Annalisa Roger:

So an update of where is this information, what's their statement going to be, all that. It would be great if I could get on that list, but I'm on the list now. So I want to thank you for pointing it out to me just yesterday, but I'm on the list now.

Evan Leibovitch:

Okay, I'm sorry you missed it, but there was public notice for the community. There was a community call on this that I thought went out to the entire ALAC list. Heidi, did that, that went out to all of ALAC right, for the community call on gTLD?

Annalisa Roger:

It could very, I missed it, it's fine.

Heidi Ullrich:

[inaudible 0:14:31].

Annalisa Roger:

So with that being said, where is this mystery document that's going to show up tomorrow? Is there a place I can go online and just look at it?

Evan Leibovitch:

I'm having a little bit of problem with my Skype, but Heidi you can send...?

Heidi Ullrich:

I'll put it in a NARALO Skype.

Evan Leibovitch:

Okay, perfect. And it will also have the history of it because one of the nice things the wiki does is you can actually go back and see revisions, how it started and how it evolved. Okay, moving right along. Does anyone have anything else they want to talk about future initiatives? We have, there's going to be a couple of reports happening this week, one of which to do with the joint applicant support committee between ALAC and the GNSO, to do with helping out gTLD applicants from developing economies.

This is something that Avri and I have been co-Chairing and has been very actively worked on. There's going to be a presentation made on it on Thursday so I invite anyone who's here to come and anyone who's not here to engage in the remote participation on that.

Almost immediately following this is going to be, at 5:30 Eastern, is going to be a meeting on new gTLD recommendation six, which is the infamous morality and public order, or what used to be called morality and public order. I'm not very happy with the way that meeting is going to turn out. I've seen the slides; it looks like it's going to be a bit of a setup, but by the same token I don't expect anybody who feels one way or the other to have their opinions swayed at that meeting anyway.

Still, it's a necessary piece of information to have out there. I'm happy at the involvement that At-Large has had in this. We've basically helped put it on the map and I still think that a good resolution of this is possible.

Unfortunately he's not on the call, I want to, before this meeting started I called attention to the people here to Garth Bruin was prominently quoted positively in the November 20th issue of *The Economist* and I want to make it clear to ICANN, seeing as how ICANN staff had reported earlier today that they are still on the lookout for some good staff to handle their enforcement issues and we happen to know somebody who might have had a history of this stuff. So, I hope to subtly put the name forward along with a photo copy of *The Economist* article in the hands of whoever might be doing HR at ICANN.

Anyway, moving right along, does anybody want to bring up as a NARALO issue the recent letter from the US Department of Justice to ICANN? Seeing that this is the American Government, and the USA last I checked is part of NARALO, is this something that we as a region want to take, put any comment on as opposed to simply raising the issue through ALAC itself? And Alan, you're really looking at me funny.

Alan Greenberg:

When you say Department of Justice I assume you...

Evan Leibovitch:

Oh, Department of Commerce. Sorry, sorry, Department of Justice; that comes next. Anyway, the US Government has sent a letter to ICANN basically holding it to account to the affirmation of commitments essentially saying that ICANN has not really lived up to that and is calling ICANN to task. Without going into the details, is there an interest within NARALO of raising this as a

regional issue, of just sending it through ALAC, or through basically letting it run its course because obviously ICANN has to deal with this institutionally?

Alan Greenberg: You mean like running as an issue like what?

Evan Leibovitch: Does NARALO want to make a statement, take a position to either submit to ALAC or to submit to ICANN as a comment?

Female: On what?

Evan Leibovitch: A commentary either backing the Department of Commerce's letter, like personally I've seen it and it's almost like I want to say yeah At-Large supports what the Department of Commerce is saying because we have similar concerns about ICANN living up to the AOC, to its accountability and transparency. That since the initial AOC is done, precious little has actually happened in that direction.

Male: Is this letter multi rated by these things about not being able to enforce the things with the domains? Is it coming from that or what?

Evan Leibovitch: Okay, Heidi is about to put a link in the Skype to the letter itself. The last thing I would ever pretend to be able to do is to speculate on the motivations of the US Government. The timing, as has been suggested, is always interesting as this letter was sent while many people were in transit to the ICANN meeting. So the ability to

analyze this in any amount of depth before things started is limited. Beau, go ahead.

Beau Brendler: I would support us making the statement because it's kind of like and "I told you so." I mean we were all telling ICANN two years ago that they needed to complete this Economic Study. The fact that they didn't get it done was pointed out to them a long time ago so I don't know that we need to make that in the statement, but I think we should, I would support us making a statement. I'll even offer to write it.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay, that's wonderful. And so with the intention of us putting this forward, we would like ALAC to put this forward as an ALAC statement and if they don't, we'll put it in ourselves. Annalisa?

Annalisa Roger: So, I don't share that view actually because I'm thinking maybe from NARALO we need time to back to our ALSs and find out what some consensus there is before we automatically make a decision on their behalf.

Evan Leibovitch: Well that's what we're all about. I mean there's nothing committing us to be hasty about this, we don't have to do this this week. I'm simply putting forward the idea out there of do we want to within ourselves take this up as an issue with our ALSs, go back to the grass roots and say the DOC has said this, what do you think of it. Do you support it? Do you agree with it? Is it something that we should put forward and say to ICANN we support what they're doing and back it or we don't support it and think they're

wrong and here's why. I mean the first question is do we want to have something to say about it? I'm not trying to prejudge what we say at that moment.

Annalisa Roger: Yeah, I support representing an opinion from North America, from NARALO, I think that's what we're here for so I'd support that, but I would just say if we were going to do that let's go back to our ALSs, get some feedback and then put that forward.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay. Darlene?

Darlene Thompson: What would you think of Beau drafting something and then we can take that to our ALSs?

Annalisa Roger: Well I guess to be honest I might not draft the same type of letter that Beau might draft and so it would have to be a really neutral letter if we were going to...

Darlene Thompson: Well no, we can change it. That's just it, we can take it around the table and change it and change it and change it.

Evan Leibovitch: And Annalisa the only reason I'm saying that is a matter of practicality.

Annalisa Roger: I definitely support NARALO representing a view point.

Evan Leibovitch: No, but I'm just talking about the way to do this. At least it's been my experience through ICANN that if you say somebody should do it, it won't get done?

So if you have somebody offering to say I'll do a draft document and you put it up there and everyone throws darts at it, it's still going to be more progress than if everyone just says somebody should do it.

Annalisa Roger: I understand, you need a base to start off with. So if we could start off with sort of a neutral base then absolutely.

Evan Leibovitch: Beau's offered to write it.

Annalisa Roger: And this is not about Beau, Beau's just sitting there. It just sounded like maybe, are we taking a...what I would like to see is let's get some North American opinion as opposed to assume that we're going to start off with an ALAC opinion because we're NARALO.

Evan Leibovitch: We're in violent agreement. Gareth, Gordon, do either of you have anything to add on this?

Gordon Chillcott: This is Gordon, I'll agree with Annalisa. More and more I'm thinking we ought to be taking this stuff back to our ALSs, it gets them involved.

Gareth Shearman: This is Gareth, I agree with Annalisa as well. Putting up something and modifying it with everybody's input is usually a good idea.

Evan Leibovitch: And we have the tools, the wiki tools make this particularly easy to do in that you can take something, draft it, go back to an earlier revision and do all sorts of things like that and track all the changes along the way. So we've got the tools to be able to start with something, heavily modify it and still see what the original looks like. So this is all within our grasp.

Annalisa Roger: This sounds good, I'm in agreement with this. I'm also co-Chair or Working Team B and this is sort of, this is what we're working on, this type of thing going to the ALSs and getting them involved.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay. Alan?

Alan Greenberg: I think if we're going to do that we have to make sure we explain the implications of such action. The first order implication of the letter and not us taking action is that the Board will not make a decision to go ahead and release gTLDs this Friday. Therefore the people who oppose or who feel that the letter was completely justified and should be treated seriously are those who feel that more deliberation and more work is needed before gTLDs can be released. Those who say it's a pile of something and it's not really important and we can finesse it easily are those who want things released quickly.

Evan Leibovitch: I would remind you that the draft ALAC statement on the applicant guidebook that is going to be voted on tomorrow, in its current draft form says that the applicant guidebook is “unacceptable and against the public good.” So I think the position ALAC has had probably sits very clearly on one side of that.

Alan Greenberg: I was going to get to that in a minute. So the first order effect of that letter is going to be you’ll be able to judge by roughly Friday at noon whether the letter has had the desired effect or not. Regardless of what we decide to do in a slightly longer time frame and pragmatically, even if we could do it tomorrow it wouldn’t be the biggest thing on the Board’s mind.

If nothing else we’re not holding the IANA Contract in our hands whereas the Department of Commerce is. And that of course is one of the biggest cards at play. So I think we need to frame it right if we’re going, because there are people within our region who strongly feel that new gTLDs should be released and released quickly. I’m not one of them, but there are such people.

Evan Leibovitch: Hands up?! Okay, we do not have full consensus.

Alan Greenberg: So I personally don’t think it will likely have much impact. It might be a cathartic thing for us to do, but I don’t think it could hurt either.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay. Annalisa, go ahead.

Annalisa Roger: Okay, so Alan is absolutely correct. There is a timeline issue here that we might want to take into consideration before acting because as Alan pointed out the timeline that's actually happening with this letter and with the Board is certainly going to be faster than a timeline that we create on a response letter.

However, I did want to address one point that Alan was saying, that because you can jump ahead and potentially see a negative outcome, like oh it doesn't matter, we shouldn't do it because it's futile; I don't think that's a good message for NARALO or for the kind of work that we're trying to do. So we don't, I want to make sure that we don't NOT go to our ALSs and go through a procedure because oh well it's not going to work out and there's nothing we can do because the DOC is bigger than us and they have a contract. I think that process is really important, so that's just my little point.

Evan Leibovitch: No, no, no. I don't think you're going to get any disagreement on this call. I mean this...

Annalisa Roger: What Alan says is true and correct, but there's, I think we've got to stand up for process also.

Evan Leibovitch: Right, but we...

Alan Greenberg: [inaudible 0:28:32]

Heidi Ullrich: Microphone.

Annalisa Roger: Okay I agree Alan.

Evan Leibovitch: I mean the point being we, in this call in NARALO, are not the bottom of the bottom up process. We need to go to our ALSs and the ALSs need to consult with themselves. I mean there is a deliberate process here. On major issues this could be very thorough and it could take a lot of time, but then again by comparison the GAC takes a lot of time on things too. This isn't necessarily one of them, but you're point is taken.

This is a matter of information going down to the ALSs; I mean this is why people are part of At-Large. Not just to feed up policy, but also to get the information necessary to turn that policy right. Maybe when we send that letter down there won't be much of a response, that's another possible consequence. And in fact, if there's a statement it will weigh heavily depending on what happens by the end of this week. That's all totally likely.

Annalisa Roger: So for practicality, to go along with what Alan is saying and still stay by our mission, does it make sense to wait until a specific time before we step ahead on say drafting something Evan?

Evan Leibovitch: I would say at very least I would highly recommend that everyone who is an ALS rep in NARALO take that letter and take it back to their ALSs simply as a matter of information. Even if we choose to do nothing or even if anything we say becomes mute, this is exactly the kind of thing that ALSs need to know about what's

going on. You okay, with that? Okay, so we'll move on and we'll basically go to the email list and decide if there's any, like what I'm suggesting is, let's disseminate that information out to the ALSs regardless, and go through the mailing list and decide if there's any action to be taken after the end of this week.

Female: So I guess one of you guys puts it out on the list?

Evan Leibovitch: Heidi, you just said you've got the link to it, to the DOC letter? Okay, but not on Skype, put it out to the NARALO mailing list. Okay, Alan.

Alan Greenberg: I was just going to point out to reinforce what you said, that that's what we're supposed to be doing and we should be doing it on things that aren't scandalous and hot, juicy points as well. Somehow we have to get into that mode.

Evan Leibovitch: Got to start somewhere. Okay, next thing on the plate is, we hadn't used the term before, set priorities for the coming trimester.

Darlene Thompson: No, review of the past trimester.

Evan Leibovitch: Oh, review of the past trimester. Now, Heidi this doesn't happen to be something that you put in with any specific wording using the word trimester. Mattias did that? Okay.

Darlene Thompson: Can I comment?

Evan Leibovitch: Go ahead. Yes.

Darlene Thompson: This is something that I should have done and should have had in apparently by last Friday. We need to review our past trimester and see what we want to report back because this will be used in several different meetings. So I would like to get everybody's input on what we would like to report on what we have done over the last several months since Brussels.

Evan Leibovitch: And part of that is because the Chair of the ALAC does make a report to the Board at the end of this week and the activities of individual regions should be a part of that. And so this is the deadline that we're working with, we need to get information to Cheryl. So if anyone's got information that you want to put in about this is what North Americas contribution was to what ALAC did in the last quarter, than let's do that.

Darlene Thompson: But we need it like right away, immediately.

Evan Leibovitch: So you want to do that now or...?

Darlene Thompson: Why don't we, we've got ten minutes.

Evan Leibovitch: Well because in this meeting there's a couple of other things that we need to talk also do. So can I ask a couple of people in this room to get together and do some, I'm going to have my face full of some other things. If I can get another volunteer.

Darlene Thompson: You know the best of what's happened.

Heidi Ullrich: It's the Chair's report, right?

Evan Leibovitch: It's the region...alright.

Darlene Thompson: You're still the Chair.

Evan Leibovitch: You got a watch? Okay, and the reason why we're not going to craft that right now is because we also have to talk about the coming trimester which is the three months between now and San Francisco. The reason being is the San Francisco meeting is coming up on us extremely quickly. If we wanted to do anything like a NARALO showcase we need to start talking about it now. We need to start moving on it now.

We need to start going to every ALS and find out what they're doing and what kind of things we can put up on the board and to do as far as a regional showcase for San Francisco. Okay, so Heidi has just mentioned that we also need to be looking for a keynote speaker. I've heard there's a couple of technically oriented people that live around San Francisco, we might be able to find some. Annalisa do you have any ideas? Eric Schmidt? Actually somebody, oh...

Annalisa Roger: Okay, so if you give me an idea of the type of speaker I might be able to come up with an idea. Also, the comment that I wanted to say is that since I'm there in San Francisco and I am helping in

some capacity with the meeting, I'll be in a position to help get the room and set us up and that kind of thing. So I'm happy to help with logistics. Plus a NARALO dinner, Evan and I kind of mentioned.

Evan Leibovitch:

I can say the kind of person I'd like to see there, but that I want to speak individually. Personally I would like to see somebody involved with government relations at Google who is involved with Google's advocacy regarding either net neutrality and other issues to do with that. Google has not been a major player in ICANN and frankly it would be kind of interesting to see them at an ICANN meeting. That's just my personal view.

Annalisa Roger:

Net, governmental, can you say that one more time. Governmental policy?

Evan Leibovitch:

Well I was thinking in terms of policy people at Google. Heidi?

Heidi Ullrich:

If I could just have 30 seconds on how the showcases are set up. Basically each RALO when they decide to have one they form a working group on doing this. We have a whole timetable that you just basically fill in the deadlines so that takes, includes such things as finding a keynote speaker to finding who you want on your speaking schedule. So for example, they'll usually have Rod introduce the keynote speaker, then the Chair of ALAC and on down. And usually the ALSs, each ALS who is there speaks for a few minutes as well. We also prepare ALS fact sheets for each ALS in that RALO. We also, we can prepare a video.

Evan Leibovitch: Actually I would like to...sorry Darlene, go ahead.

Darlene Thompson: I was just going to say, can you end those timelines and such out, to me at least?

Heidi Ullrich: Yeah, we'll have Mattias do that.

Male 2: This is what has been used for the LACRALO today?

Heidi Ullrich: Yes, basically today if those who are going to the LACRALO showcase, I know you've been to probably two others before, just take a look at what kind of format you'd like. What you liked about this one, what you don't, whether you want it during a coffee break, whether you want a cocktail, etc.

Male 2: Well, I can't drink cocktails.

Heidi Ullrich: Well basically every previous showcase has tried to get a sponsor. So they basically also prepare sponsorship letters, identify a few possible ones. Unfortunately none of the three previous ones have been successful. So perhaps ICANN can pay for that if that's unsuccessful.

Evan Leibovitch: There's one possible twist that I'm going to suggest for the next showcase and that is because of the nature of NARALO, that we talk to Eric, who isn't here, and put forward some kind of presentation on behalf of the individual members. It's one of the

things that makes us unique as a region and I would like to have him get up and say a few words about that particular kind of character and also perhaps add that to the mix of the ALS presentations. Just my thought.

So I guess the next thing is to call for volunteers for people who want to be on this little working group. Okay, Eduardo, Darlene; anyone on the phone? Well, Annalisa because she's going to be hosting us there.

Annalisa Roger: I'll be there, but I've had, I'm having a chronic volunteer problem lately so I'm a little worried about my time, but I will be there and I will be as helpful as I can. But if it could be at that capacity, as the person who is there as opposed to the working groups stuff.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay. Now, Heidi one of the things that I've suggested that I'm curious about is if people want to...okay, Gordon, Gareth do either of you want to be involved in this?

Gareth Shearman: I'll see what I can do.

Gordon Chillcott: I have to see if I can for a cycle or two, I don't know for sure yet, Evan.

Gareth Shearman: I'm not sure of my time, but I'll help if I can.

Evan Leibovitch: So I have two definite maybes on the phone.

Gareth Shearman:

Sorry about that.

Gordon Chillcott:

We're both certainly committed on this maybe.

Annalisa Roger:

I have a quick question for Heidi. Heidi, so those ALS fact sheets that you do, does ICANN staff work directly with the ALSs to get that information?

Heidi Ullrich:

This is a bottom up process. So basically we could provide a template for example, that's what we did for LACRALO, and then it's up to the working group to send those out to each ALS and have them fill them out. They're basically just one page, you can add photos, you can do whatever you'd like to them. We then translate them. We'll translate them into three languages? Thank you, Eduardo. And then we will set this all up.

Evan Leibovitch:

Okay, but I'm assuming from what you said that it's up to the working group to crack the whip and make sure they come in. Okay, is there anything else we need to know or do in advance? I was going to ask if there's been any precedent because obviously in terms of travel support, I mean this is not a face to face meeting, ICANNs going to fund beyond the usual people, but given that some airfares to San Francisco can be had very low, is it possible that ICANN can provide any resources to people that are prepared to come on their own dime?

Heidi Ullrich:

You can ask, but I know that for example for the Brussels meeting we had the same request and we were unable to do that.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay, had to ask.

Gordon Chillcott: This is Gordon. The only thing I would probably ask, and one of the things I'm going to try and do is free up time to get down there, but one of the things that I would, the only thing that I would ask for is a list of inexpensive nearby hotels. And for that matter, restaurants, but hotels would be the main thing.

Annalisa Roger: I can help with that, is that Gareth?

Evan Leibovitch: No it's Gordon.

Annalisa Roger: Gordon, this is Annalisa, I can help with that. So should I send it to the NARALO list?

Evan Leibovitch: Yes, thank you.

Annalisa Roger: Okay. And Evan-

Alan Greenberg: How big is your house?

Annalisa Roger: But there is a wide selection of places within walking distance and I think that would make a big difference just walking a few blocks. Any other ideas on the keynote speaker or let me just ask you do people here actually want me to go and seek somebody or do we know who we're looking for? Just let me know if there's an action item.

Evan Leibovitch: Does ICANN have a budget to fly in a keynote speaker? If the answer is no then that's pretty...

Heidi Ullrich: Again, so no budget for that. But for example in Brussels we had a local commission official so that was local. For LACRALO we have Alejandro Pisanty who happens to be an AT-Large Rep on one of the SSR review team who was here anyway.

Evan Leibovitch: He was also keynote at the summit.

Heidi Ullrich: So, basically the answer is no. There is no budget to fly anyone in. so I would say a local person or someone who's going to be there would be the best choice.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay. Alan?

Alan Greenberg: We do have a noted privacy advocate on the ALAC.

Annalisa Roger: The San Francisco Bay Chapter ALS, we have chapter members that are interesting, but we would have to know what makes sense, what the topic is.

Eduardo Diaz: I guess getting a working group and decide that. You know we move forward.

Annalisa Roger: So I'll wait to hear from the working group.

Evan Leibovitch: Yeah you guys between you. Now, just to keep it, Alan has tossed out the selection that North Americas newest addition to ALAC Mark Rotenberg who came in from the Non Com. He's not here because he thought he might actually have to present before the US Senate on privacy issues, so he might be a candidate especially if he's already going to be there.

Alan Greenberg: If we want someone talking about that.

Darlene Thompson: Yes, we need to know what we want them to talk about.

Heidi Ullrich: Yeah, again, it's up to you how you want to have this process defined, but usually it's more of a light occasion. So the keynote speaker can talk about NARALO, they can talk about the role of NARALO or At-Large in ICANN. You can talk about the role of the internet within North America. We'll have cocktails as well.

Evan Leibovitch: Especially. Okay. Let's see we are eight minutes from the top of the hour, is there any other business left to go through? Annalisa?

Annalisa Roger: I would like to make an announcement from the San Francisco Bay ISOC ALS that people probably know, there's a conference in February that the ALS is hosting and been working on, and it's called the Dot Next conference. So it's about new gTLDs and I just wanted to let everyone know.

Evan Leibovitch: But it's not right up against, you can't take like a two week slide and go to one and then go to the other?

Annalisa Roger: Well there's lots of vacation destinations in the Bay Area so you could. No, no they're very separate from ICANN and it's in February, ICANN is in March, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay, is there anything else that anybody would like to raise in terms of other business? Any other policy issues, any other issues to do with rules of procedure? Alan is there anything to bring up?

Alan Greenberg: At the previous two meetings, two meetings ago I raised an issue and last month I said I didn't get around to it, to do some revisions to the rules of procedure and the operating principles. I know at least one of them was to fix the rules of procedure to say we don't use LACRALO weighted voting. And there's a number of other clarifications, for instance, the operating, the rules of procedure still say we have two people per ALS and that kind of stuff.

So they need to be brought in line and we probably need a statement of which is a precedent, which takes precedence if there's a conflict. But my recollection is there is something in the operating principles that we missed when we talked about the original changes we did, and for the life of me I can't remember what it is at the moment.

Evan Leibovitch: Alan, can I just leave it for you after this meeting to go through and essentially just bring it up to the list.

Alan Greenberg: Oh yeah. You asked me so I'm telling you the current status, that's all.

Darlene Thompson: I somehow remember on the list that Beau commented on that so maybe Beau might have a recollection.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay, we'll take that to email.

Alan Greenberg: We'll either catch it or we won't.

Evan Leibovitch: Okay, is there any other business? Anything that anybody else wants to raise? Okay, if that's the case then I guess the last order of business is for me to bring Beau up to the table because this is my last meeting as NARALO Chair. Yes, my trip out. So if I had a gavel to give you I would, but I don't so take the official iPod cable and Beau, the Chair is yours.

Beau Brendler: I don't think I could ever really be as good a Chairman, or Chairperson, as Evan. I was really gratified to see how much work he did and how rapidly, when he joined At-Large, or rapidly he joined the ICANN community how he grew and became a leader in a very short order. But I do think we have developed a reputation in NARALO as doers even though there's a small number of us, very small number compared to some of the other regions. I guess we're the smallest right, still? APRALO is the smallest?

Evan Leibovitch: In terms of numbers of ALSs, probably not in terms of activity.

Beau Brendler: Anyway, we have developed a tradition of having some real fire brands in NARALO, mostly for better, occasionally for worse, but I hope that we continue that tradition and that we continue to feel like we can make statements that should have an impact on the ICANN community as a whole.

And I'm sort of transparently eluding to the fact that one of the frustrations I think you're going to find is it's very difficult to get ALAC to do a lot. So the fact that we, with due respect to those who've done really hard work like Alan, but trying to put an idea to ALAC like the one we were just talking about and get widespread buy in is pretty tough.

So, maybe that will change because there's lots of new faces coming in, maybe it won't change, but I just hope that we can continue to maintain the NARALO spirit. So any guidance that you can give me to be a good Chairman I'd be happy to take it and work with it and do what I can. I don't have much more to say, is there anything you want to say? No. Okay, well...

Annalisa Roger: Welcome, Beau.

Beau Brendler: Good, thanks.

Evan Leibovitch: I'm optimistic about ALAC. There are a couple of people coming on board who may well be real hard workers, he's one of them. Edmund is also going to be named by APRALO to replace Vivek

and he has a long history in ICANN, he's done real policy stuff, he's probably the most vocal and strongest person in ICANN on IDN issues. I think it's going to be interesting. And I have one other comment – you commented how much Evan has grown over the years, I'd like to comment on how much Evan has shrunk recently. Good work.

Beau Brendler:

Yeah I'm a little bit jealous having tried a pretty strict diet myself until I had six kidney stones in a row, three months ago, two months ago. My health has been pretty poor and I haven't been all that involved in ICANN stuff over the last few months, but I want to assure you that I will take the responsibilities more, not that I wasn't taking them seriously, but I just haven't been well. So, anyway, thanks. Close the meeting yes.

Annalisa Roger:

The royal flag has been waived. The meeting is now closed.

[End of Transcript]