
CR - APRALO Monthly Meeting
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 – 17:00 to 18:00
ICANN - San Jose, Costa Rica

Holly Raiche: Good morning everybody, or rather good afternoon wherever you are. We're going to start the session. We are recording, have we got anybody on the call and would you like to say who you are?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: We have Charles in the AC room.

Holly Raiche: Charles is in the AC room, welcome Charles. Do we have anybody else? Charles I should bid you welcome and let's start first off with a roll call of people in this room will identify themselves.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl Langdon-Orr, ISOC AU.

Keith Davidson: Keith Davidson, InternetNZ.

Hong Xue: Hong Xue, Chinese Domain Names Users Alliance.

Gisella Gruber: Gisella Gruber, ICANN staff.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Holly Raiche: Holly Raiche, vice-Chair of APRALO.

Heidi Ullrich: Heidi Ullrich, ICANN staff.

Holly Raiche: Next is, I trust everyone has the agenda in front of them, could we just have a...review of the action items. Wait a minute.

[background conversation]

Holly Raiche: We're working through what was a very quick transition from a fairly large ALAC meeting to a fairly small APRALO meeting, and we are expecting two more people.

[background conversation]

Holly Raiche: When I checked there were no Action Items.

[background conversation]

Holly Raiche: Okay, Action Items that are being held over from the 31st of January – staff to send a doodle to APRALO leadership – has been completed. APRALO to look at the response of the WHOIS review and give feedback. When I report back on

today's ALAC meeting we'll know where that's up to, which is it's finished. Holly to email a quick summary about what she has seen in light – what was this about? I think that was in relation to WHOIS and that's most certainly been done. Staff to check with other RALOs to see how they deal with individual members and see how they can take forward. Was that in relation to what was discussed today? Cheryl, do you want to update?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. I just wanted to wait till the gong stopped sounding from behind me. I like an entry, but I don't normally come into the conversation with a gong. Holly I think we can probably take this off of our particular book in as much as I gather, I trust, the secretariats meeting did what the ALAC expected them to do, which was to partition that piece of work where it belongs, back with the metrics subgroup. So it will be your regional representatives in that that will now take that load.

Holly Raiche:

Okay. Charles to give update about his meeting in regards outreach in the Middle East. Now Charles we don't have you on the phone, do you want to put that in the chat room or does that make more sense if we actually talk about that at the next meeting. I think that makes more sense. Wait a minute, can we read the chat?

Gisella Gruber:

We're just trying to connect Charles.

Heidi Ullrich:

At the next meeting – he says probably at the next meeting.

Holly Raiche:

Okay. Finally, staff said the proposed At-Large objection procedure for the new gTLD will be sent out – that has been done. And in fact, another item that was

passed at the ALAC meeting today will say that that Action Item is complete as well as the whole issue is complete. Now, next item on the agenda.

Gisella Gruber: ICANN policy issues.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Madame Chairman may I raise a point of order please?

Holly Raiche: Would I ever let Cheryl not raise a point of order?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I just wanted to make very certain that the record showed that the meeting that is transpiring here is merely an informational one as we are not quorate and therefore no votes, including the passing of minutes will need to be taken or ratified at this meeting. So I think it's very important that we realize that what we are doing is sharing information, which we need to do I'll hasten to add, but we must not trip ourselves and act in a non-quorate manner. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you, Cheryl. Now, information sharing and policy issues, I think the first thing to update is what is outstanding and what has been passed. There are still a couple of issues open for public comment that we may want to have a look at. One was the draft advice letter on consumer trust. That is a working group that I've been involved in and Cheryl's been involved in as many others. I wasn't at that today's session, but comments close on 17 April, so we might have a look at that. And in fact we can liaise on chat or email about where that's up to.

Charles is here, good. I didn't see anything else on the policy list, I've had a look. The one that everyone was interested in was the WHOIS – that is closing for comment today. Oh sorry, on the 18th. What was passed unanimously today

at the ALAC meeting was Carlton Samuels has drafted an ALAC statement covering a number of issues that were raised by various people. Cheryl you have your hand up? No? So in fact, ALAC has already drafted and passed our submission on that issue. So from an ALAC standpoint that's done.

Now going down as to what else is still open – yeah okay. There is an initial report on universal acceptance of IDNs. Now Hong, is this something that we should be talking about?

Hong Xue:

Thank you Chair madame. Yes, there is some things quite important for At-Large community. This morning there was an IDN Variants VIP project meeting and I guess many At-Large structures raised critical and the seriousness of the variant integrated report. It seems that it's kind of they varied from the past of bottom-up. There used to be six community group. They composed their own report. They said that they will on Variant solutions for TLDs. But the integrated report just ignored this community bottom-up.

So it was strongly protested at the morning session and as a result, the VIP integrated report commentary period was postponed, extended for I guess next 21 days. The IDN Working Group is going to have an immediate meeting, urgent meeting tomorrow morning to research this situation and we should submit our comments absolutely, because it's so critical for the IDN community involved in Variants, especially the large group in Asia.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you Hong. What would you like us to do? Would you like us to...?

Hong Xue:

Cheryl is right.

Holly Raiche: Would you like an ALAC statement or something that would support what's going on?

Hong Xue: Oh thank you. I guess we should go through the bottom-up process working group first and then the working group should submit the draft to ALAC for approval and then you submit to ICANN I guess is the procedure.

Holly Raiche: Okay, thank you. Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Holly, Cheryl for the transcript record. That was in fact the reason I was raising my hand, I think we needed to note that the 21 day extension was going to come in. I know that I am slightly less passionate on some of these issues than other parties in the IDN Work Group, but one thing I would like to see us try and do, if I may suggest, is look at the projects and the budget planning that has been put together. And I actually believe the projects are all good, I just don't think they're in the right order. I think some of it is topsy-turvy.

They're all worthy of doing and they will all help us get to the nub of what we may be able to do about these matters in variants, but I don't believe the order is in our communities best interest – our community, the Asia Pacific community's best interest. And I think there might be an opportunity to ensure Hong that we also try and get that as part of what comes out of the IDN. But I may not be able to be at that meeting, so if you could, Hong, remind that that will be coming in from me as well. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: I think the Action Item there is we will wait to hear from you and be advised what next steps are you think appropriate for APRALO and ALAC.

Hong Xue: Okay. I can surely report back to APRALO, but Edmon is the IDN liaison and also a member of ALAC; he can also report back.

Holly Raiche: Good. Okay, thank you. The next one that's still open – the interim report on support; significantly interested parties for ccTLD delegation or redelegation. Now is this – I know there's some interest in Australia so...Miss Langdon-Orr.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you Madame Chair. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. Having spent two hours a fortnight of my life for some gee, must be 50, 60 weeks now, on these matters, I would like to strongly encourage you to not say a damn thing. And the Australian government has assured me at this stage they will not be either. Therefore what we need to recognize is these are a group of chapters that are coming out. We don't need to go into a comment/reply/comment just for the sake of someone saying "Hail fellow, well met." I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

So, to that end, what I would suggest we do is look chapter by chapter as we have. I believe the only minor concern that the government had raised with me is one they're willing to let slide and that's not a problem. And of course, GAC can pop in at the point of the process where they have to give their agreement. But I would like to toss to Keith now, because the GAC has assured the ccNSO something that we need to be aware of. Jesus it's it your report.

Keith Davidson: Okay. I'll change hats. My name is Keith Davidson and I'm the Chair of the FOI Working Group and I was the Chair of the Delegation-Re-delegations Working Group and the process that we're following as we have six chapters essentially of work. The first chapter was the "consent" topic, which has been concluded essentially at this meeting. We received, or we expect to hear the GAC in its communiqué on Friday verify the interim endorsement of our first chapter on "consent."

We've received the final approval from the ccNSO Council today and in our joint ccNSO/Board meeting yesterday, the ICANN Board indicated that it would accept an interim report that has been approved by the ccNSO and GAC as being a report on which they will act rather than waiting for the individual chapters to be concluded and then looking at the issue in total at the end of the process. So we're really quite pleased about that.

And yes, echoing Cheryl's comments, we don't want any messages of thanks for the work and stuff, and we much prefer the active participation of the SO and AC liaisons actually in the working group rolling up their sleeves and slugging out with the rest of us. It's the appropriate place and means to do it and I have little doubt that Cheryl often reflects what is happening within our working group to you, and she's certainly not backward at coming forward to push a very solid At-Large view in front of us.

Holly Raiche:

I think I share your confidence in this.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

If I may, Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. Keith I think what's important perhaps for APRALO, because what we're trying to do is get ahead of the curve here, if you could let them know where we're up to on revocation, etc, because that's what's going to come at them next, the next chapter out. If we can just give them a little time course, because everyone seems to know what's happening next with the chapters and this way they can think about it and get information to me rather than retrospectively.

Keith Davidson:

Yeah, well chapter two is essentially finished in terms of the drafting of the report; it's on the topic of "significantly interested parties." It's currently open for public consultation and the closing date is, I think, the 30th of March or within a day or two of that. The next topic is the topic of "revocation" RFC 1591 refers to this concept of revoking a delegation. And where a ccTLD

manager might have substantially misbehaved, IANA might step in and that might involve the revocation. So without any further detail in the policy document, we're charged with finding some color and depth to what those terms might mean and so on.

So there are aspects that you should be interested in. And we don't even have a draft paper at this stage, we're still struggling with this within the working group. But before Prague we probably will have a workable draft and this is a topic that you most likely will be...

Holly Raiche: Absolutely. What's on here is simply an interim report that comments are due 30 March; we'll say nothing.

Keith Davidson: That's the "significantly interested parties," unless you feel there's something you should say.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: No they don't.

Holly Raiche: No.

Keith Davidson: Okay, thank you. And then we have one other aspect of unconsented redelgations, which is the other big issue. And this is what the role of governments can and can't be in the sovereign status of ccTLDs. So that's another one that you'll undoubtedly have some strong opinions on. And then the next two chapters are the winding up processes – one will be a terminology glossary document so that we see IANA using consistent language. And then

finally, there will be a set of recommendations about procedural implications for IANA to follow in the future.

Holly Raiche:

That's a bit of a watching brief and I think that there's no more than that. In terms of conflicts of interest, which is IANA Board conflicts of interest, I should report back that what we have just done in the ALAC was to agree that we would write a letter to GAC and propose a joint sort of study, something to say that what we would like is an outcome that is joint on the issue. I don't think we need to go too much further than that. It was a proposal by Jean-Jacques.

And the first step of that was passed today, this afternoon, and there will be a letter that has been approved that will go to the GAC. So, we're sort of already addressing that issue in that way at this stage.

[background conversation]

Holly Raiche:

That closes the 2nd of April. I think at the moment we kind of realize GAC is probably tied up, we're tied up, but we have a little bit of time. Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Thank you Holly. Cheryl for the transcript record. I think what APRALO needs to realize is that this is going to be definitely an AC/AC issue. The only way this is going to have any influence at all is if a joint letter, and it will be a second or third joint letter, GAC and ALAC have recently been doing joint letters. A joint letter co-signed by Heather and by Olivier goes as advice. So we're sort of not required.

Holly Raiche: At this stage it's not an issue for us because it's already being dealt with now. Global policy proposal on recovered IPv4 address space – I don't think that's, it's not an issue that we as APRALO have been involved in. Certainly ISOCs been involved in it, deeply, but I don't think that's – that's not an issue for us is it? I don't think it is.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: If I may Holly, if it was an issue for us then it would be more particularly managed through the new technologies, which is inclusive of IPv6 Work Group and Olivier is passionate about that, so if ALAC is going to do anything, ALAC will be doing it.

Holly Raiche: The final thing – draft advice letter on consumer trust, consumer choice and competition. Comments are due 17th April. I think this is a possibility for an issue for us. I've been on the working group, Cheryl has been on the working group – I didn't attend today, I was sort of in another meeting. Cheryl, you had your hand up?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl again for the transcript record. I think what is going to happen, even as a result, remember what we were planning on doing from a work group point of view. We have always been going to establish that input from today's workshop was in our view equal to commentary. So, we have had significant input from today's workshop and we've already had input into the public comments. Therefore, we will be doing a reply/comment round, unless there is something glaringly missing in the view of APRALOs ALSes in what we have got out for public comment then I don't think we need to worry about the human bandwidth.

But what I would encourage us to do is to get copy of the presentation and the transcript from today's workshop and make sure that goes out, well we can attach it to the Wiki that's associated with the CCI, and herd our ALSes to that

to review. Because it may be that much of what they might want to say has been said today, and a, “me too; I agree with that comment,” doesn’t add to it. To steal Keith’s language, if it adds some depth and color then we want to hear about it. But because we’ve had that workshop I’d like to get the transcript out. But I can assure you there will be another 21 days happening on the reply/comment now; it’s already instigated. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

Okay, that’s something that sounds like it’s in hand. I’d like to first nod to Edmon and Sivas and Renalia have joined, which must mean the ALAC meeting is over. That’s the end of the outstanding policy issues as listed. Where are we on the agenda? Next item? The next item is priorities for the coming months. There are a couple that clearly we’ve identified – the consumer trust, at some point we’ve got the delegations, but that’s down the track. I think we are now open for other suggestions and there were some suggestions and we – do people want to identify themselves just so people know what your voices sound like? So Charles can listen. We’ve got a full house now.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro:

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro for the transcript.

Siranush Vardanyan:

Siranush Vardanyan from Armenia, NomCom representative from APRALO.

Holly Raiche:

And Charles has raised his hand.

Charles Mok:

Yes I am hearing you, all of you loud and clear here; very good connection. I just want to say how sorry I am that I’m not with you in Costa Rica. I hope all the week has been going on well and thanks so much for Holly for covering and

I'm here and please go on with the meeting. I'm still trying to wake up; 7 a.m. here in the morning. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you Charles. And Will, are you on the phone as well, or just on chat.

Pavan Budhrani: Pavan here as well from Hong Kong.

Holly Raiche: Excellent, this is a terrific RALO.

Male: Let me introduce myself. I am from Armenia. We are newest, I think, members of APRALO. Thank you very much.

Rinalia Abdul Rahim: Rinalia Abdul Rahim, ALAC.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy: Sivasubramanian Muthusamy, ISOC India Chennai, APRALO.

Edmon Chung: Edmon Chung, ISOC Hong Kong and on the ALAC as well.

Holly Raiche: Thank you everybody. Now are there items that we should be talking about in priorities for the coming months? And what I planned to do by the way, in other business is, I've been at heaps of meetings, as has everybody else around here. There are some issues that have come out of those things, so I suppose

everybody, if you want to put your hands up, what do you see as the issues for the next couple of months for APRALO – and Sala already has her hand up.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Thank you Holly. Sala for the record. I'd just like to insert something into today's agenda, which would be outreach. I'll expand on it later.

Holly Raiche: Cheryl has pointed out that we are so enwrapped with each other's presence that we're all dying to get in the bus to go to the festival tonight, we won't worry about that. I think another item is really going to come from IDNs; Hong, you're certainly on the list. Is there anything else that we should know about?

Hong Xue: I think another thing that could be prioritized is the objection procedural and its implementation.

Holly Raiche: Now today, what we did pass was the objections document, so that is another issue that was passed through today. Maybe I should go through what we did in ALAC and that may identify some issues that have been closed. We passed the WHOIS submission that was drafted by Carlton. We passed the objections document that was drafted. We informally approved of the Future Challenges Working Group, not formally but informally. It was a kind of a tacit "go for it Evan" type thing.

We – [J.J.], and I think I've already talked about the conflicts of interest. The rest of you were there so I don't have to fill you in on that one. There was a very short briefing on ICANN Finance. Alright...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It'll come back, it happens. But Charles did have his hand up so we'll have to remember that.

Holly Raiche: Thank you. Another issue that came up was the objection that has been raised in relation to the reservation of the Red Cross and IOC names. That statement that was drafted has been passed. And finally there was, as I left, a briefing on the events that have been held here. So that's a brief update of what's happened in ALAC. Now Charles had his hand up? Any other hands up that I'm not seeing?

Charles Mok: Yes Holly, I just want to update that we had a quick meeting, I believe on the 1st of March, between myself, Olivier and Cheryl about so-called "working smarter" – "working smarter, not harder." And I think some of the things that we have come up with as Action Items there and I want to repeat in this meeting is that we should be coming up with an inventory and current state of affair of all the working groups and the other groups that need to be populated with APRALO representatives.

And also Cheryl and others are going to help us recommend people in other ALSes, all the ALSes around in AP and also possible also other people that we can draw from recent fellowship participation from AP to get hopefully a big number of people that we can help mentor or bring them into various working groups and get them into the process. This is actually part of outreach as well, so I just want to mention that here. And to also sort of remind the other folks that please help us with the inventory of the working groups and the recommendations of people who can be introduced into the process. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you Charles. Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Thank you Holly. Cheryl for the transcript record. Just picking up on a couple of those points, but I was going to, as well as having my hand up anyway on the points I'm raising. Particularly in the near future, because that's what we're trying to do with this agenda item, we need now to be establishing who is going to be formally regional representatives in the Rules of Procedure Review, which is inclusive of the metrics work. Okay? So we actually need, there will be open work groups, so people can join, but there is a core set of regional representation required.

I've suggested a minimum of two. I'd like to have at least two from each – I'm saying "I" because I am Chairing that particular activity. Two from each region. I'd be happy for three or four, but APRALO needs to designate these two are our representatives. All voices are welcome. But this work is going to have to go extremely fast. We are not going to come back and re-educate people when they do or don't come in for three or four weeks. So we really need to be open door, fantastic, but have a core of committed individuals.

At this stage, just so we know before people want to put their hands up, I would predict we will be meeting effectively weekly, but it will probably be a fortnightly commitment, depending on if you are in the Rules of Procedure only or the Metrics only. There will be a number of people who by definition, and that's particularly the ALAC people and obviously me, have to be in both those sub-committees. But the part that is essential for RALO – rational, real, regular RALO recognized representation – is that enough onomatopoeia for a time of day like this, is in the Metrics. We have to have consistency in the Metrics. And for that, they have to have the regional [impermata] because it's going to affect our rules of procedure.

So that is essential that we get done, and I would love to have those names, if not by the end of this week, no later than the beginning of next.

Holly Raiche:

Now, am I right in saying this is consumer trust right?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: This is the ALAC Rules of Procedure Review and the Metrics subgroup. It's a huge amount of work; huge amount of work.

Holly Raiche: Do I see any hands? Sala has put her hand up very bravely. Everybody else is hiding under the table. Could I suggest that we circulate the minutes – well, I think what we need to do is let people think about those terms of reference, circulate something that says this is what we're going to do, this is the timeframe and this is what we ask of people. Now Cheryl, what do you propose?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl for the transcript record. We managed as APRALO to entrust to our regional reps to the ALAC to carry our response before quite well. So I think one of those seats can be occupied by Sala. But in the metrics work group, I honestly think it needs to be an executive or leadership position out of APRALO. So you and Edmon and Pavan have to work out short straws, because it's the nuts and bolts of right down to ALS requirements. It's hugely important. Now I mean Sala can carry one of the APRALO hats as well as her ALAC one; that's not a problem. But we must have a experienced, regional, leadership voice in on that.

I'll hasten to add, I may bring some of that to the table, but as you know, when I Chair, I Chair. And I'd feel a lot better if our region wasn't effectively working with less representation than more. That said, there will be a call for interest, which is going out, I believe yesterday. Pigs might fly – it will happen hopefully as soon as possible, won't it Heidi. And to that extent, that will be, we may just get people generally from the region and that's fine, they're more than welcome. But it's that official input that I'm after. And if we get more, happy.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sorry, just a quick comment. Sala again for the record. I'm not volunteering to sit on the two seats, but I'm volunteering to certainly be involved in the drafting.

Holly Raiche: I didn't think you were going to sit in two seats mate. Okay well look, when the call comes out I think what we'll do is I think Evan...

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sorry Holly, just to finish. Sorry.

Male: Maybe because I'm beginning but can you describe what you mean when you say regions.

Holly Raiche: What we always say with regions is basically the five regions.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sorry, if I could comment. I had actually volunteered long before this on the Wiki.

Holly Raiche: I think Heidi, the call is going out when?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl for the transcript record. I've just been assured by Heidi that if Cheryl had read her email in the last hour or so she would have found a draft to approve. It's the whole day okay – well I've only got 150 left to go through. I did have a lot more and I've had about two hours of face time with the laptop today because I've been Chairing more than not. I've already said to Heidi just

let it go. If Heidi's happy, that's fine; she's worked tooth and nail through all of this anyway. So it will be going out today.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you Cheryl. And I'm sure that there will be people in executive positions putting their hand up. Are there any other items that we should be aware of that we should be looking at in the next couple of months?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

If you're going to go to a couple of months that changes it.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro:

Very quickly in relation to the request to put something on the agenda earlier in relation to outreach, Rinalia and I were at the ASO meeting today and just for the sake of new members the ASO is sort of like the NRO combination of all the RIRs, like RIPE, NCC, APNIC, AFRINIC, ALCNIC. Anyway, the good news is we sort of tabled to them we said "pending discussion with the ALAC" we sort of tabled with them the idea of ALAC liaisons, not ALAC liaisons, but RALO liaisons into the RIRs. And what was expressed by the Chair was a very big yes.

Having said that, that was the expression of the Chair, but we have yet to hear from LACNIC and whatnot. But in relation to our region the good news is Paul Wilson emailed immediately after and he welcomes discussions in this matter. So we'll be looking at things like outreach, capacity building, but quite aside from that, more specifically in terms of policy emersion from our region into the policy processes as a RALO.

Holly Raiche:

Seems to me there's a follow up Action item there – discussion with Paul as to what is meant and what's APNIC is prepared to do and what we – I think we

ought to have a conversation amongst ourselves as to what we want before we go to Paul, and have an understanding of what outreach means.

Female: Also to add to that is that Louie Lee made the commitment or the openness to the possibility of co-hosting RALO meetings. And this to me means the possibility of financing solution for the General Assembly's, so we should pursue this.

Holly Raiche: I think that may be something that we should actually talk about offline, and say "follow up in terms of what we're looking for, what we want in terms of finance." Siva's next.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Can I make a correction please? Sorry, pardon me Holly. This was actually discussed four APRALO meetings ago when I initially published the proposal to the At-Large community. I had developed that paper from the APRALO region and there was a call for comments from within our community. And one of the things that was discussed was the possibility of partnering with the RIRs and it was endorsed at our APRALO meeting, just to remind you.

And quite aside from that, just along the lines of outreach, one of the things I'd also like to report on is that Rinalia very kindly negotiated a one-hour capacity building session which got us to discussing this with the larger At-Large community and I think it went quite well. So thank you Rinalia.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy: Okay, I have always felt that the RALOs should work very closely with APNIC RALO and other RALOs correspondingly, so what you've done is something really interesting. I think APRALO should follow up on that and work very closely with APNIC and encourage other RALOs to do the same.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. Look, this has been a work in progress for at least three years to my knowledge, and we have support from specifically the leaders from the ASO community including those on the Board. So we've had Directors of the Board and we've had Louie, with all good intentions working with both me before and Olivier including last year, to try and match all of the RALOs up with all of their RIRs. It is also part of the At-Large improvements. There is no choice here. This is happening now because we've said to Louie, we've got to have this in bed by June. So that's why it's happening now.

RE the sponsorship, and it's going to be wonderful; this is a whole wonderful possibility. RE the sponsorship, that's something that may be another financial year. It may be ad hoc in between. But we need to realize most organizations have already got their pots of money established at this point in time. But it is, I believe, inevitable in the benefit of our internet community in Asia Pacific that these sorts of things will happen, and I would also suggest that ccTLD operators may also find themselves entrapped in that in the future as well.

But that really needs to be not just a regional conversation with the RALOs. We need to realize that that affects the ALAC budget that is put in on behalf of the RALOs. Heidi said "Oh, well if we can get sponsorship should we pull from this year's requests, or let finance know, not pull" and my response is "no, we keep all our irons in the fire until we know what's happening when."

What would be very worthwhile to now get this engagement off the ground would be if we ask Louie, it may be that Olivier will ask, would want to organize this per region, I think that would be better, but let's leave that to them. But regardless whether it's a multi regional, a hemispheric or just a regional webinar, because we actually would need to get our rank and file ALS members up to speed on the structure of what's the NROs, what the RIRs, what's the ASO, and how global policy is actually developed in the numbers.

And what also can happen is then in that confidence they can all, individual people out of all of our ALSes can join the lists; and that's where policy is developed in this particular system. So if we can get that meshing right it will be wonderful. I just think we're hastening, we need to still hasten carefully, not slowly but carefully. There's been a push to make it happen now because from an ALAC point of view, something in this line has to happen now because our ALAC improvements state we have to establish clear relationships on policy development with all the ACs and the SOs. So the motivation is on both sides.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro:

Thank you Holly. Just for the expanding in terms of the outreach, our latest ALS member from Armenia is hosting a cyber – hello. Sorry, Gregory. Anyway, our latest ALS member from Armenia is hosting a cyber security conference and I would like to make a request to staff if they could make available to us an APRALO brochures if you have them. But if you don't, if there could be some arrangement to ship them to them. I'm not sure whether that's in the budget – and I'll just finish and then you can comment.

The other request also is for APRALO brochures to be made available as well to the Pacific lot because we're about to have, we're planning something soon and I'm not sure whether the Asia Pacific Regional Internet Governance Forum in Japan would also like to have those brochures, but I think it would be very handy to have a booth where all this is.

Heidi Ullrich:

Hi, this is Heidi for the record. Thank you Sala. That's a very important update on that. Just a couple of updates from staff – depending on when these events are absolutely, we're happy to send you these brochures. We do have a revised and updated APRALO brochure ready in English. We can have those printed and send those to you pretty quickly. Now the Arabic ones and the Simplified Chinese, there were some issues with translation, so we're still working on that – apologies for that that they're not ready yet.

In terms of how you might wish to promote these events, other RALOs in particular EURALO, they have a Wiki page that has all of the upcoming regional events posted with any URLs that might be useful. So you may wish to work with Silvia who unfortunately can't be here since she's in another regional meeting, another RALO meeting, but just contact her and she will be happy to set up a regional outreach page for you.

Holly Raiche: Siva?

Male: Okay, I want to say that I'm not only on this conference but my vision of our activities is that ISOC, the vice-Chair of ISOC Armenia and RALO regional At-Large organizations – they look more or less similar. Their goals are the same, to involve as much internet users as is possible. So I suggest my idea is when we have ISOC event we can announce that this event is also At-Large event. Okay? Thank you.

Holly Raiche: That's an excellent idea because in fact we represent the users as does ISOC, so there's a lot of similarity in the ALAC community, APRALO community and the ISOC community. Siva you had your hand up?

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy: Along the line of work in progress and our relationship with the NRO, since you're the ccNSO liaison, is there anything done to reach out to the ccTLDs and connect the ccTLDs to the ALSes in every region?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes. No and I'll tell you why. Because the metrics which we have discussed in other fora have established already where the linkages are. Sala has put together an extensive document, which is on the Wiki, which does the full analysis from

the dashboards. The ccNSO is very aware of where it has members and where it doesn't. But what we're doing is not just doing it with the ccNSO, we're also doing it with the GAC. So there's some parallel things going on.

So my answer "yes" was really deadly serious. Yes, and to go into the detail would actually really take us into another couple of hours worth of meeting. But the dashboards do need modification; that is being done. It's also part of the improvements program.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you Cheryl. Now if there is any other business?

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro:

I'll make it quick; very quickly. The first one is the dashboard. It's one thing for us to be telling the other RALOs that they need to update the dashboards, but I strongly urge the secretariat to please assign somebody specifically to manage the dashboards. Just for your information, Dev and I are in the subcommittee that are putting together some of the indicators to sort of fix the dashboard.

The second matter is you would have received on your email a request for your comments. There's a proposal being tabled by an ALAC member in relation to a GAC and ALAC partnership in relation to yes, a working group. And so I'd really like your feedback on the matter, not now but for the future. And with that I'll rest. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

What working group? Haven't we already mentioned it?

[background conversation]

Holly Raiche: We've already mentioned that. We've mentioned that already. Thank you. Anything else? Keith.

Keith Davidson: Changing hats very quickly. I do represent a ccTLD and I'm also the vice-Chair of the ccNSO, so I can talk to you offline later. There are a couple of events that InternetNZ is working on currently. We had a meeting the other day in the Pacific neighborhood while we were here to see if we could get an internet governance event going for the Pacific. And we have the PACNOG, the Pacific Network Operators Group meeting in Fiji from the 2nd to the 7th of July and we're looking to coordinate with funding partners to bring together the PAC ISOC meeting to run simultaneously in Fiji at the same time. And have our separate stream of internet governance related issues. Probably rather than any full IGF, more a preparatory set of workshops with DIPLO training and so on.

So that's quite a worthwhile thing. And InternetNZ is a core funder. We have about 10 partners who provide about \$10,000 US Dollars apiece and the funds are primarily used for the logistics of the meetings and funding Pacific Island travel to attend. But the question always is if you're aware of any other finders who have specific fellowship programs, please let me know. So that's a sort of a slight aside from InternetNZ's core and they do it through a vehicle called PIP, the Pacific Internet Partnership, which I head for them.

And then also in New Zealand we have from 11th through the 13th of July our [Net UI] which is essentially our in country IGF for two days. And we have again some specific outreach components to encourage participation from civil society and all corners of New Zealand, so that's shaping to be quite an exciting event too.

Holly Raiche: Thank you and I think I'd like to pick up on a point that Heidi raised, and that is maybe somewhere on the site we could have something that says "these are the events in the Asia Pacific region," so if you're travelling anywhere in the Asia

Pacific region there's a list of events. I think that's maybe an agenda item for maybe every APRALO meeting.

Now I know everybody is desperate to get on the bus, so is there any frantic item, other than Cheryl's hand up that must happen? Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Thank you. I just wanted to pick up one tiny point, which is when you said on the two months out and it is to do the outreach. I want to foreshadow the fact to APRALO that we will also be making a call for membership for the outreach work group. Now this is probably going to happen between your next meeting and the one after that, so I would rather like to get everybody thinking now, remembering that I've just stolen a whole lot of good talent into a really busy work group, who were going to send to this outreach.

And Sala cannot actually do everything. She does have another voluntary like which is also very demanding. We can all share the load a little here, but we do need to think that we've got a couple of very important things. Now obviously Sala will be on the outreach one, but probably from an ALAC perspective. We've got to fit APRALO talent into this.

And you need to be warned, what we also need to start doing, and this is probably a web or Wiki tool, we need to make sure we are pushing the opportunities to our ALS member, notice I went out three layers there won't you, to the actual members of the ALSes, what is happening with the work groups for policy development processes, drafting teams and study groups. Because what happens is it gets as far as the secretary of the ALS and it gets no further.

So I think we might need to get some RSS feeds, something people can subscribe to, some pull rather than push stuff. And if we can do that, maybe between now and Prague I think it will also make a big difference. Thank you.

Heidi Ullrich: Sorry could I just, this is Heidi for the record, one other point while you are packing your computers. We do, At-Large does have a Wiki page for outreach existing that includes all the RALO brochures, the At-large brochures, a wonderful Power Point that was produced by the Board Director who was selected by the At-Large community, an outreach video – so we have a lot of material that you can use for any outreach activities. Thank you.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Just for the record, if Gregory could just give the dates of the cyber security...

Gregory: Conference – it will be 24th till 26th of May.

Holly Raiche: I think instead could we have an Action Item on every one, if you are aware of conferences, meetings, etc in your area, please send them to At-Large so they can be put up and we all know what's happening in our region. She volunteered?

Heidi Ullrich: This is Heidi. So for the record, Sala will also be happy to receive those and then post them to the Wiki. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you everybody. Thank you Will and Charles for attending the meeting. And we will meet in a month's time; probably much more instead of face to face will be back on the phone.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: And thank you to the tech staff, thank you gentleman and you can stop the recording now.

Charles Mok: Thank you.

[End of Transcript]