

## Transcription ICANN Durban Meeting

### NPOC Meeting

**Tuesday 16 July 2013 at 09:00 local time**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

On page: <http://gnso.icann.org/en/calendar/#jul>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/>

Man: (Unintelligible) more in the room when it comes to remote participants whether there are any? I don't know if we're tracking? Can you tell us if we have remote participants? They need to connect.

Woman: I'm connected. Thanks (unintelligible). This is interest (unintelligible). We have (Jody), (Steve) and (Laura) who are connected, probably Adobe Connect.

Man: Thank you. And good morning wherever you are, good morning. I hope you enjoy the session. We have quite a long agenda to give today. Therefore, we shall start with the first slide. (Sue), I don't know whether you can project the first slide please, thank you.

The first slide on the agenda is the election process. Some of you might know, others don't know that we just came out with possible election. Our former Chair (Inao Behoje), you have his picture up on the slide. He's - he was our chair until two days ago.

And when I heard (Inao) saying that the first thing I thought was I think that (Inao) is the best example of what courage, reciprocity, personal courage reciprocity and grace in relationships is. And we do thank him for his work he has been doing for (unintelligible).

And we also -- personally I want to thank him for who he is, that's only for what he's been doing. Thank you. That's only for the work he has been work. I want to thank him for who he is - who he is and that he will always be dear to my heart.

So on the next slide you will see a picture the agenda. The first slide is the election results that we want to present to our members and discuss with them. And on the next slide we see a picture if I'm not mistaken, that's a trust -- actually that's a friend of ours who can see a product and (Ray) is in the middle.

(Unintelligible) is the new policy chair and the treasurer of (INPOC). He's sitting on my right. (Unintelligible) is Vice Chair and she was Vice Chair - she will keep on being Vice Chair and that will be it.

The results went public last Wednesday on the 10th. We pretty much we're almost sliding at the time and so when we got here we met -- this is the first time actually that we meet the new executive committee meeting.

But having said that, there are vacant positions within the executive committee, so we need to discuss this and see whether there are candidates to reserve these positions.

And we have configured filling the roles as it says on the slide, the position of Secretary, Present Committee Chair, Mandish Committee Chair and Regional Leaders and the results of the communication chair as we see on the slide.

So we thought we'd like to propose that to Poncelet Illeleji if he wants to be as our secretary and I'm having quite the problem pronouncing this. Secretary, yes is how to pronounce it. So I would like to offer the position to Poncelet Illeleji and see whether he would be interested.

Poncelet Illeleji: Thank you very much Cintra. I am honorably - I accept your offer as Secretary for and we'll work. We're still going to do some of that if my acceptance is confirmed. Thank you.

Man: Mikey wants to say something. Thank you (unintelligible).

Mikey O'Connor: Thank you (unintelligible). I would like to second the motion of having Poncelet Illeleji our secretary for the (unintelligible).

Man: Very well, then I think that what comes next is what's indicated on the slide is that regarding this position we will wait for our members to object. We would give the period of one week and that within one week if there is no objection, Poncelet will be officially appointed as the Secretary. Then I don't know whether there are nominations?

(Fasnik): (Fasnik), I would like to ask and propose Klaus Stoll being the Program Committee Chair. I think he has the skills do his job and be surrounded by a team that would be able to work a region. So I would like to bring that motion to the table.

Cintra Sooknanan: This is Cintra, this is (unintelligible). I'd like to second this motion that was just made.

Man: Klaus?

Klaus Stoll: Thank you for the nomination. Thank you for the second vote. I would accept the nomination on the nomination. I think it's very important now that (INPOC) is going to what I would call an implementation phase.

We have a very strong policy of the iron form and Iron plus alliance. And we have coming up very important (INPOC) events. We didn't do any major events here in Durbin out of (Serese) because we are incorporating but this is now changing the other way around for Buenos Aires.

And we're also striving to have a meeting in the next two months on the IN form in Brussels. And we're also striving to get another meeting in Dahlia. So we will be - will be fairly busy especially because it all combines with countries and I call on everybody on helping us and supporting us as much as possible mainly with ideas and suggestions and coming forward and saying, "Look this is what is important."

We are in a very, very important phase for the noncommercial stakeholders. Everything is changing. Everything is -- I'll just say that it can be more relevant for everybody and we need to all be on our tiptoes and contribute. And do that what we are supposed to do as representing the interest of the noncommercial stakeholders. Thank you.

Man: Thank you Klaus. Therefore, as for the previous position we're waiting a one week period for our members to object to this nomination and then we will confirm the nomination of the appointments of Klaus to the position of Program Chair Committee. Any other nominations?

Klaus Stoll: I would like to make some - some additional comments. In case I'm confirmed -- and this is very important -- I don't want to assume the confirmation automatic.

What I would like to do as one of the first policies is to create regional vice chairs since I was -- because I think we need for even people on the crown and actually I'm not a continent or two away.

And in this case for example I would like to nominate (unintelligible) for Vice Chair for Africa. I will look around through the membership and see which other Regional Vice Chair's can be nominated sense -- I just at the moment don't feel - feel authorized to make this as an official announcement because we have to wait one week waiting and maybe somebody else really wants to answer that. Thank you.

Man: So what we can do -- if we wait for you to be appointed and then I would like to hear counselor views on this, would you be find with (unintelligible) being appointed for Vice Chair for Africa one week once we have consolidated the other position?

Poncelet Illeleji: Yes, I have no objections to the nomination for to be Vice Chair for the -- and program committee's team and for Africa based on Klaus' recommendations, thank you.

Man: Thank you Poncelet. Therefore, we can proceed to nominate you within the next two weeks once we - we are done with the first stage of the process. We'll also need to fill other positions which is the Communication and Membership Chair - both Communication and Membership Chairs. We have had until recently until last week (Edwardo Bohem) who has been our Communication Chair.

We just need to confirm with him what - whether he wants to keep on being it - being in charge of communication issues. We wish him to do it but he's not here so we will need to reach out to him and - and with consultation and formalize the process, again within the next coming weeks.

Same with Membership, if there is any members of our committee who was interested in applying, please do. We welcome all new members on board and obviously we'll be very happy to consider candidates - we'll be more than happy to consider candidates. Thank you. Do we have any comments from our remote participants Cintra? We don't.

Very well, then we can move on to the next agenda item which is the financial reports. Will be currently on (unintelligible) he's lucky. He's in charge of our accounts. He's the boss because the one who has the money is the money. So (unintelligible) can you provide us some dates about the state of our finances please?

Man: Thank you (unintelligible) and we have a little amount of money available and however, in the previous period of (INPOC) that got us settled in Costa Rica that's not an easy place to some transactions and asking that ICANN's looking for regionalization and we also tried to do that in the same way by setting up the bank account in Europe which was a bit easier to do transactions with U.S. dollars.

But also allows us to do that within the transactions in European - in Europe currency and that can be advantage. You can avoid foreign currency quite easily. However, it is important that we complete the official structure of (INPOC) as in Europe the banks are a branch to check every possible money laundering action and transaction.

So you have to be really, really transparent and I agree that the bank we took responsibility at the personal level to because that's what the banks are asking for in Europe, that's the more important stuff.

The other service about how much money we have and how has it been spent yet. There was a sponsorship for about \$5,000 and actually the accounts are showing us value of \$4,711.95 and that's the actual value at least on the bank account.

Yet in Europe after the transaction the transfer had been done from Costa Rica to account in Europe. The expenses that have been paid are rather very small was due to activity that (INPOC) had in ICANN meetings. It was

essentially troubling and stuff like vendors and so on from one place to another.

The upcoming expenses are also very small. It's about one- and two-day stays of members joining meetings for the events that came out on Thursday and Friday.

As I'm the new treasurer, one of my plans is to get as quickly as possible a budget plan based on activities that we are trying to get together that's within the ICANN meetings and we can say that there is already a member working to set up the event in Buenos Aires.

And we are looking to how we will be able to finance some of these special activities we want to do during their stations. And at the other side we will try to see how well we will cover the entire logistics with our partners in that event.

Besides that I have already asked to my colleagues to bring up as soon as possible their plans and their thoughts on expenses we'll need for setting up other events like...

For instance we have the participation in Bali so I hope that before we are going to Buenos Aires we will have possible to present a draft of the budget plans for 2014.

The lowest one in the action to do is to try to set up the forecast for 2016 because we have to enter into the mechanism of ICANN financing. The requests we have for the fiscal year 2015, 2014 is already closed. In fact, aside of a few other small things.

Last point some pros and cons as I mentioned it is important that we have a view on what expenses we're looking at. So sub raising plan would be nice to have as soon as we have identified partners who want to work together and

we have already got some nice organizations telling us that they're really interested in being our partner especially for the Buenos Aires event.

And but I'm looking to membership too, if our membership organizations are interested in giving us not only just a membership, a creation but also investing in giving us some financial support, that would be nice too. So if there any questions about the finances, I'm available for everybody.

Woman: Yes, I have a couple of questions. Can you explain to us whether -- I understand we had sort of a situation with the request for existing year '14 with ICANN (unintelligible). Can you explain to us what happened please so that our members are aware of it?

Man: Yes, thank you (unintelligible). When I got all the information on how the funds were handled in the past there was a - there were two requests on the fast track for activities we had planned.

One was the event that we would have had during this meeting and one day event. But at the end it came up that there was a - another event planned by (Isaak) and the African community that would be in - which would be in conflict with ours so we decided that we would not take of that event.

However, the fast track requests was granted for the amount of \$8,000 and the second one for (Bobby) has been pushed into the requests from NCUC and NCSG and talk with her a swap in the finance for giving people into value.

Coming back to the first one our event that was scheduled for Dublin we are now going to try to shuttle the request into -- as we didn't do it in the budget at all. We are going to discuss with the finance team of ICANN to move the budget that was allocated to this event into the event in Buenos Aires.



So that's the plan for the next two days. I will try to get together with finance team and see how we can mesh that.

Woman: Thanks but there's another issue I understand is that we haven't as of - as a group and a community we haven't submitted a request for the regular ICANN (unintelligible).

So, you know, this is another thing to put on the things-to-do within the next two days list that we're going to negotiate with special circumstances we list the deadline that was like a month ago.

And agree to get in touch with the finance director, the financial department of ICANN to see if we can fix this problem. Is this correct?

Man: That's indeed correct. Well, we did not really miss it. It's a fact that our constituency had the issue of not having our chair active anymore and it was in between the two -- let's say it wasn't -- it wasn't active period where it was a vacant and we were not able to act as we had a working executive committee.

So it got stuck through that process and that's the reason why we were not really been active on the cost that we had to complete over there. But we are going to work on this as -- during this Dublin meeting. I want to get things finalized and - and now it's reached its standard.

Woman: Thank you for the clarification, yes you're right. I used the - I didn't use the correct word. Finally, about finances I just wanted to remind you I don't know whether you were aware since you're new on board. But we have an outreach plan that was agreed and we worked on it last year and submitted it.

And to the inside the outreach plan there is a fundraising proposal plan. I don't know whether you ever saw it and I think you didn't but the thing is that what we need to do is actually go through it and within the next days, next

week and obviously again see -- update the proposal and adapt it to the - to the new plans we have for next year and what's left of the year. Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: I would like to make some comments about the fundraising plan. We have a very clear outreach plan with the (unintelligible) and it's the alliance. And I think a lot of our fundraising will be based on that and we are currently talking to several groups, organizations that will eventually get that fundraising going.

And I think it's very, very important that we are clear, that fundraising and (INPOC) has to be done for impact and not for travel. Meaning we need to base our fundraising on getting things done on the ground and having impact for the - the noncommercial user community.

You have learned how to get the most ticket to ICANN meeting. I think that's important to point and I really would like to stress that for - for (INPOC) it's not about getting travel money, it's about getting money to do the things we need to do and that directly have a positive impact for the noncommercial user community. Thank you.

Woman: Very good point Klaus. I completely agree, someone wants to make an additional comment. So the next item on the slides is the (INPOC) slide and again I'm going to give you the floor.

Man: For those of you who don't see us there is (unintelligible) sitting beside me jumping up and down but why, he will tell you in a minute or a second.

Man: (Unintelligible) is also helping us give them make sure the sides. I don't know whether you all need to summarize the whole situation and then if I miss something you...

So basically we - we have a website which should go in activity today.

Man: Correction (Chad) we had a website.

Man: We had? Because we woke up this morning and walked in here and we were like that the website is down, that coincidence, that timing. Anyway...

Man: It would be nice if it was just down.

Woman: Go ahead Rudy, it's worse than that?

Rudy Vansnick: Well, I'm going to clarify that. During the past days we got the message that the company that was in fact providing us the service - the DNS service being the main server and the registrar for domain name wanted to stop the - to help us in this perspective to transfer through from the actual provider to a new one as it did in the dot.org it takes a while.

I hope it will handled next week. But as Klaus was saying and that was -- I got the message a few hours ago that in fact our website has been defaced by a - maybe terrorist group.

It happened, it happened to all of us so it's not just us being taken down but -- as we still are in the hands of another provider. I cannot have access to it immediately so I have to wait for one of our colleagues who was covering that in Costa Rica is going to pick this up as soon as he is awake and get rid of that.

So the proposal is to take down effectively the - the hosting to avoid that someone can deface or hack the website. With regard then the hostings will be hosted then in the states where we are sure we will have access and we - we will be more than one having access to the web space.

We will have also our own mailing space and we will be able to have also a nice outreach platform so that (INPOC) can show up and have to show up. And we will be able also to get our members involved and more into it.

But the urgent action is to just get rid of that deface page because what you see is black screen with one message on it and they want to get rid of it within the hour if possible.

Woman: Thank you, right now actually I'm opening it and I can see it; that is amazing. Yes, that's, you know, just happening today. Anyway, as Chair of (INPOC) I would like to thank you for offering to host our website. It's a very nice gesture and we do appreciate it.

And there is, though, another aspect about the website design. We do have plans don't we because we need to have -- we do count some of our members so that -- because we need some extra help for the design of this website. We've been, you know, not very good at it and then sometimes it always look bad to have all this information on the website.

It doesn't give an impression or you don't have any updated information and you don't have like a big pictures and stuff, so we have plans. Can you explain to us please? I don't know if it is you or Klaus who wants to talk about website design.

Rudy Vansnick: Thank you (unintelligible). Rudy for the transcript. To make it clear the first thing you have to do is the technical platform to get things stable and secure.

You can have my designs but as you can see a black screen with a message is not a design. So we have to stabilize and secure our space first of all design some proposals for or from members and for people who want to participate and is really welcomed. But I can be the initial issue is we have to handle the security and stability.

Woman: Of course, of course...

Man: We got - we got possibilities to -- for people we would like to open who are more than qualified to help us with the web page. But I have to unfortunately create with Rudy.

I'm reluctant to ask somebody to get tracking on the wonderful website but we haven't sorted out our internal - internal - internal security issues. Looking at (unintelligible) sitting here from the ICANN just one question is, would it be - make sense or would it be helpful if we inform the ICANN Board or ICANN community as a whole because it has its significance for the moment. I don't know, maybe I stand corrected.

Man: Yes, it's okay. (Yeln) is indicating that he has no definite opinion at all.

Man: Good, that's great; that's just an idea on the top of my head. I didn't want to put you on the spot just because we do (unintelligible). Thank you.

Woman: Thank you (Lon), thank you Klaus. Maybe I expressed myself wrongly when I spoke about the design. I obviously understand that the first stage is to fix the problem the features ability and then next stage is to move on with the design and - and that is very clear and I think that no one would disagree with that.

I was just giving some of what they wanted to give data to our membership so that they know we already thought that once we have fixed the domain name issue and we have actually completed the intra-registrar transfer, then we can move on to the design phase and - and we do have a person who is going to take on this job. Thank you very much.

So we can move on to the next slide which is membership, next issue is membership. We - we -- how should I put this -- we've been discussing this issue of membership for quite a long time now.

It has been a complex issue but it shouldn't be a complex issue but it has been. Because basically the way we are organized we are paired with

another stakeholders which is called NCUC and together we are noncommercial stakeholder group.

And this is this umbrella organization or group which is doing assisting the membership applications. So we are - we have -- in theory -- we have a representative of (INPOC) within the NCSG group that selects and perceive the applications and decides who comes in and who doesn't qualify.

Cintra you wanted to add something?

Cintra Sooknanan: Thank you (unintelligible). I currently represent (INPOC) on the membership committee and I could say the current system does not allow itself efficiency. There are both applications that are held in shared Google document and it's difficult to part through them to really verify the - the validity of those applications.

And it takes time as well for all the members of that membership committee to submit their - their comments as well as approvals. So from time to time maybe approvals are given with less consensus than should be required.

Woman: Yes, Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: Unfortunately, it's one of the issues we haven't solved over the last two years and it still remains the same. We've got on the one hand a large group of potential members who are waiting to become (INPOC) members.

On the other hand we cannot guarantee anybody to -- who applies -- to get an answer on their application in a reasonable time. And we have had in the past several - several organizations who basically asked and asked and asked again to become (INPOC) members but after you waited six months or so you don't get -- the only answer you're getting is, it is in the executive committee to be approved.

And then after another three months the same thing and after another three months the same thing. It just simply has nothing to do with us. I mean we're not interested anymore.

This needs to be resolved. We tried to resolve it in an amicable way in the sense that we said, "Okay, let's do a little bit more rapid procedure." But it actually is not happening.

And secondly, it's also you have to think about that the answer you see is private or individual members and crew members once we know they are crew members to wait the approval in which new member is fairly easy and quickly done To get and approved all organization especially the waiting process is more complicated so we are at a disadvantage on all fronts and then all sides which basically nearly brought our recruitment process to a halt.

Because basically you can't responsibly recommend application (INPOC) membership and you know these guys will suffer in the application process. We will talk at a later point about the respective charters. And I think we have to really do the honorable thing and make some charter changes. And press for some charter changes in order to help that problem.

As the former membership chair you know that I refuse to take control again. This is the reason why we - one of the reasons why I couldn't responsibly recruit members and secondly even if people were approved and people thinks that things are going well, you can't be a membership chair if you don't know who's been approved.

And when you don't have any consistent communication with the executive committee who does the approval so we have work to do there and we said that we have that work to do two years ago.

This is one of our big failures. On the other hand we have the little victory of the whole at least applied or works out together with common online application form.

Without trying to be arrogant or something like that but that form looks to me like a lot of people finally cleared forward and we didn't expect that people have actually problem clicking two boxes. But it seems to be - seems to be a reality that people don't know what NCSG is and people don't know what NCSG is and click pause which means everything is confused that has to be sorted out.

They have to be explained and oh God, Lord help us. So it's -- I don't know what to say to that. I mean I worked on that form and things like that and really insulting everybody involved in that. I can't make it clearer but it looks like we have to give an introductory guide before the form comes in, in some form or language; maybe in pictures to make clear of what's going on.

But on the other hand (unintelligible) beloved this is a real problem for us. We cannot recruit members. We are failing to our constituents. This is not a likely task.

So sorry about that long speech but I think that it's something we have to tackle and we're trying - we're really trying to do -- I'm actually proud that we are little people here in the room because (INPOC) is about incrementing things off the ground and having the things done and whatsoever forces.

But on the other hand we have to have our membership in order and we have to really the members with membership where we want to send what we are. And not being artificial I called it (INPOC) membership at an artificial standstill because we've got what we've got and we hardly connect to it. But what is a real membership is not retracted. Thank you.

Woman: Rudy, thank you Klaus. You have the floor Rudy.



Rudy Vansnick: Thank you (unintelligible), this is Rudy for the transcript. I would like to add on to what Klaus was just mentioning. First of all we have a membership, don't be afraid we have more than 30 members in our (unintelligible). And there is still a list of pending membership.

So to that point it's not too risky. What is the problem is I looked into the concierge's due charter for membership. It's not at all clear what's membership needs and how -- the procedure of getting members selected, elected, accredited and so on.

So there is a need and that needs, second point on - next point on our agenda. However, the form is today. It's not complete enough to go to the process of accreditation because there is a lot of - there are a lot of criteria that has to be fulfilled and in the form, it's not to mention them.

We need a more structured way of getting out to membership. But actually it's my personal opinion - actually it's not us recruiting members, it's NCSG recruiting members because they have the true power to decide to recognize a candidate. So we have - even not an impact on the decision that's just them deciding and it's done.

So that's probably the most critical thing. We need to have an authority that is able to proceed in the process of accreditation of a member that is a member of (INPOC) and not of the other constituencies.

So that's a point we really need to solve.

Woman: Thank you Rudy. You're currently right. This is why I saw to explaining how it works with NCUC and (INPOC) CSG because our members can understand because it's quite all those acronyms in it and it's quite difficult to understand.

But to be completely honest it's not that we don't have a voice at all within the process. We are a minority voice because we actually do have two seats on the NCSG committee and that does process the membership if I'm not mistaken which according to the chart is the chair of (INPOC) and the Vice Chair.

If I'm not mistaken, we have two spots on the membership committee of NCSG but we might not already and - and obviously as you described the process is rather complex, like a clarity and this is not a good thing for us.

We do have as Klaus said we been - we have been discussing this issue for many - for a long time now. Have looked for ways to overcome the problem and we right now we are entering a new phase where we reached the conclusion that really to fix the problem.

We need to redo the charter, the NCSG charter and the - the occupants as Rudy had mentioned the membership process and negotiate with NCSG. Basically updating the - the -- I can't find the word -- updating the articles about the membership. Cintra you wanted to say something?

Cintra Sooknanan: Thank you (unintelligible). I just want to confirm what Rudy had said. The trigger for this membership committee to review is actually from the NCSG Chair.

So if she feels or if she delays it means the entire process has a knock on delay effect. So we don't actually see the applications until she makes it public to us.

Woman: Okay, thank you very much. I was not aware of this and this is very important aspect to get right. Klaus wants to add something.

Klaus Stoll: I don't know, I seek guidance here because I think we have relayed a point (unintelligible). But basically what the situation is also quite simply, look we

are new constituency in practice. We are not new anymore and when we were created we were absolutely new.

People did their best with the charter and that was the best they could come up with at that moment. And now we are a little bit older and which doesn't mean wiser but we're older and we have now - I think not a different situation but we know more. Let's say it that way.

And I think we have to adapt what our current situation is with - in the charter. And to be absolutely honest with you if you read our old charter, I mean there it even contradicts one thing and another.

And that prompted me to look also at the NCSG charter and looking there it's basically the same situation. Things have changed and once written down it's actually not anymore and anything's reality.

So I created that - that we need a charter reality check. What's actually real - what's real anymore? I'm fully aware that that is a lengthy process. I'm fully aware that it is a process that is complicated but unfortunately is one of the things I guess we have to do in order to stay operational. Yes.

It comes later again I don't think we should comment too much on it because it comes over at a later point that we can describe it. Okay, so yes, there are remote participants, you have to tell them what's now on the screen.

Man: They can see it.

Klaus Stoll: They can see it?

Man: Okay.

Woman: We do actually. Thank you Klaus. Poncelet you wanted to add something?

Poncelet Illeleji: Madam Chair, I'm Poncelet Illeleji for the records. I just want to comment on what Klaus has said on our - like our chair if we can - if she can give us a - if possible we can get a definite timeframe in which can and looking to do reveal this charter.

Because I think it is a very important as Klaus mentioned we have to look at the - it's not really the real it is of today and the sooner or not we do it and - and the much better. So I don't know if our chair will have a comment on that. Thank you.

Woman: Thank you Poncelet. The short answer is no, I can't give you timeframe for simple reason is that I have to contact (unintelligible) and basically stop negotiation with her and raise the issue and see what will happen.

So what I can do though it's promised that this is being treated as a priority problem, it would be like top priority. And this is almost the first along with the first things that we have to give up time to.

Because we all have the feeling that we can grow. We cannot get stronger if we don't have more members and basically that's it. So if we don't grow and don't get stronger, you know, it's quite disappointing and - and would be quite disappointing.

And the plans that we have are quite ambitious and we want to move ahead and grow and do things better every day and this implies having more members and counting on more people NGO's specialized for example in the field of Human Rights.

Within ICANN there are a lot of issues related to privacy issues. For example, better protection from the big groups that have new members on both specializing so that it could help us; issuing statement specific issues related to this - these aspects and that's just an example. Cintra you wanted to add something?

Cintra Sooknanan: Yes, I think -- thank you (unintelligible). It's important that we understand political realities. The current NCSG Chair who's term is coming to an end and she is (unintelligible) so she may not have the interest or the time to really some intense review like this. So I think it's tough for us while this is very critical for us it's difficult to set the timeline.

Woman: We'll move on with the agenda, thank you Cintra. Let me see moving - shifting from the - the membership issue and looking at the big umbrella that Klaus has mentioned which is the actually review of the charter as a whole.

Not only the membership articles that we had - the articles that we had the membership process, the whole charter really was charged with reviewing this with each other. Klaus also did it. I did it too.

And I understand that Rudy wants to make some comments about his impression from the charter. Thank you, Rudy.

Rudy Vansnick: Thank you (unintelligible). Well I dropped into the NCSG charter that is dated (unintelligible) May 2011 and I already was aware of the fact that - that two years ago - two years in ICANN is not much but in process in growing activities it's a lot. Two years means five years at least as we are moving so fast that most of the areas that this aspects are not updating automatically.

Already on the second page I got -- and this is relating to the meeting we just had with NCSG II team Accountability and Transparency were very important.

On the second page I highlighted for myself a sentence that is quite important. Its mentioned service standards for leadership positions include impartiality, accountability and avoidance of conflict of interest.

And being now for almost yes now 10 years in ICANN I think that one of the biggest issues we are - ICANN is going to confront - to be confronted with is

the fact that we see popping up in so many different positions and (unintelligible) that at the end the transparency is a real big question.

I'm happy to see that the actual (INPOC) Executive Committee is clean of that. When I decided to come to (INPOC) I decided to myself to say, "Okay, my job is done in ALAC and I'm leaving the space for others.

And I hope that within ICANN and in the many constituencies they have that people are going to decide on what seat they want to sit. And that's I think is one of the initial items that throughout the whole set of charters is one of the first three questions. Otherwise you don't need accountability and transparency refuting if you don't fulfill that question.

When I'm - when I walked through the whole charter it is clear it's out of reality. The charter was good in 2011 but it is really something that is not applicable for the moment and we as such have to also review our charter.

And I think the time has come maybe launch a request to the higher level to review the charters of all the constituencies inside the GNSO because it's a bigger picture.

If we want to be in this structure in the right space, it means we have to have good definitions of who we are, what we are, who we want to have in our teams, who we want to have in the membership and how the process of membership can be accomplished?

Because as I've been reading the membership structure -- in fact -- it's a bit strange. The eligible organizations are categorized in small, bigger and big. So if I'm reading that I can't see the reason why NCUC can have individual members if they are categorizing organizations.

So you see it's really strange on Page 5, 2.2.3 large organizations, small organizations and depending on the size you have two or more votes. So it's

definitely something we have to work out for our membership because we probably have members that have more votes than they have today.

Because we failed to see that this fits in the NCSG global charter picture. I think it's really very important and as Chair of Policy I'm really going to take this as a hard priority on my to-do-list to get this clearer for all of us; because it's really important that we know where we fit in the whole picture of ICANN.

Woman: Thank you Rudy. Sorry, Cintra you have the floor.

Cintra Sooknanan: Hi this is Cintra Sooknanan. I haven't had a proper look at the NCSG Charter to evaluate it but I do undertook by the next meeting I would have done my review and will also be able to comment more substantively on this point.

Woman: Thank you very much Cintra. Do we have any questions from our online participants? We don't, very well. Yes, going back to one of the comments that Cintra. I have a feeling we will be able to review our own charter quite quickly because it's going to be in-house job.

But due to the circumstances within NCSG umbrella organization and due to the fact that the current chair, it looks like she's - her term is ending in October if I remember well.

There might not be as interested - lots of interest or time to pay attention to the review of the NCSG charter, so I don't know if -- obviously the best thing to do would have to be the two classes be done in parallel. Obviously that would be the most logical but it looks like this won't happen.

But the only thing left right now is that's how we would have to adapt to this situation and take baby steps and see what happens, you know, while we're doing the work we have to do and adapt and make decisions along the way. And react to any decision that is taken and not taken regarding this matter.

Do you have something to add about the charter, anybody, now we can move on? We can. Very well, the next issue is (INPOC) representation within NCSG thinking of NCSG noncommercial stakeholder group.

According, again, to the charter if I'm not mistaken and Cintra can correct if I'm mistaken, we do have the right to have two seats on the NCSG Executive Committee; that would be basically Chair and Vice Chair.

And we also -- there is a policy committee within NCSG and I'm not sure - I think Poncelet is in it and you are Rudy. So that would be two (INPOC) representatives in the policy committee of NCSG and two in the executive committee of NCSG. Am I correct?

Poncelet Illeleji: You're correct but there's one committee missing. There's a third committee which is the finance committee and in the finance committee we can only have seat in the two others we have two seats. And it's up to us to decide which seat we are taking.

I'm just having one question about the - the way we are trying to fit into the system and has nothing to do with personal aspects at all. But I'm just wondering chair or vice chair, if I'm not wrong, the chair function is to replace the chair when the chair is not available.

So I see it as a one where the chair is not able to be present in the executive committee. We are not able to replace you because normally that's the overall mechanism in any organization the vice chair replaces the chair when chair is not available.

If he proceeds like this and you're not available, we can't replace you and then we cannot send someone else to the executive committee and we will have only one vote in place. That's just my little remark about structures.



Woman: I see your point and I think it's a valid point. So is it -- I put chair and vice chair because I thought that was - I don't know whether that's like a practice or it's reason actually returning the charter. Klaus?

Klaus Stoll: I don't - I don't know if it's written in the charter, but when (Marie) started (INPOC) it was basically with decision that in the executive committee really if the chair is there and will be replaced by the vice chair if the chair is not available and that the other seat is not automatically taken by the vice chair but is taken by somebody else from the group because the vice chair is there to replace the chair.

So if you're having the vice chair at the same time in the executive committee of the NCSG, you basically lose vote, that's the point and that's was basically the common practice which then was somehow overlooked, overseen but implemented as the current practice.

Woman: Thank you first Rudy and then Cintra you want to add something?

Rudy Vansnick: To be clear I'm not requesting we change it now but it's a point we have to take up. If they want to be critical to us, I would say, "Hey guys, do you know what chair and vice chair means?"

So we have to be -- when we treat designs, accountability and transparency we have to be at the same level too.

Woman: Thank you Cintra.

Cintra Sooknanan: Yes, Cintra Sooknanan. I don't see it as too much of a conflict. Personally, I don't think that it's written into our charter but if (unintelligible) from the start.

If the chair or the vice chair are absent, then it means whoever is a member on the committee at that point and time will vote to vote as representing vote.

Klaus Stoll: Cintra that doesn't -- I don't remember saying to you or it's not what we are talking about. What we are talking about is the practice of not having automatically vice chair and chair in the - in the executive committee that was simple to the point what it was about. It's not about voting rights or whatever.

Cintra Sooknanan: Okay, just in response to that comment I understand what you are saying. But I'm also saying having one person present in the absence of another where it's not (unintelligible), it's just at the time you're absent it doesn't bar a struggle, it just means the other hold by proxy of what's in every house.

Woman: Maybe -- point taken -- maybe one solution would be -- I do understand what you're saying, what you're saying is that it doesn't make sense and it's not common practice to have chair and vice chair paired generally speaking.

We know -- I mean it's not something that specific to this. It's just a mechanical and logical - the logic of it. I get your point and I actually do agree. I had not thought at all about it. It does make sense.

So -- and this applies to all the committees and all the circumstances. Yes, go ahead.

Klaus Stoll: First in the NCSG was the practice when they made complete sense to have the chair and the membership committee chair in the NCSG executive committee because then they could actually fulfill their role with membership.

Because then the membership chair actually knew what was going on and who was being approved and who was doing what, that practice then after one year -- basically that was changed for - I think for ethnicity reasons or whatever.

And I think we are not -- I don't - I don't even know if we should go back to that system and say that was the reason how it was done and actually worked quite well.

Because the membership chair has a problem doing his job if he's not in the executive committee it's - it's just practice.

Woman: So the proposal would be to have the (INPOC) Chair in the Executive Committee plus whoever is going to be chair of membership committee of (INPOC)?

Klaus Stoll: No, it's - it's -- the proposal is that the - in the NCSG executive committee is automatically the (INPOC) chair which is automatically will be replaced by - by his vice chair if person is not available and then from the remaining executive committee, somebody's named as the second person.

But one recommendation or one good practice in the past -- I wouldn't write it in stone -- but it is actually the membership committee chair who's taking that second position.

If there's any reason to take somebody else, of course, as I said don't make it a rule. It's just something we learned in the past and it was quite good to have the membership chair there to (unintelligible).

Woman: Yes I do understand it. I do think it does make sense for strategic reasons. At the -- you're right -- at the same time we can decide that within the near future we do get organized that way and that's when we review the charter. We leave it open so that depending on the context in the situation we can adapt and take a different decision if there is need for it. Cintra?

Cintra Sooknanan: I - I agree to an extent with - with Klaus in that there are times that there are committee that the chair and the membership committee chair should

between but I think that should be specifically for the NCSG membership committee.

I think the executive should be -- I don't know we have to decide -- but I don't think it should necessarily be membership committee.

Klaus Stoll: That's exactly what I'm saying. I mean I'm saying -- I just gave an example how it was in the past and what worked well. So for example if Rudy has a good - if quite frankly if I find out that in the programs committee it might be necessary to be the NCSG executive committee and if I find that necessary, I will make my words heard.

Or if Rudy finds out that in his program - in his policy it's needed and we will sort that out in the future. But as I said I would come back for the NCSG as the (INPOC) chair of all three, deputy and then some of our choosing from the remaining - from the remaining executive committee positions.

Woman: Thank you Klaus. Would it be -- I don't know if it's viable what I'm going to suggest. I don't know if it's going to be viable. Could it be - can it be like we have like a permanent person like the chair and the chair is permanent and then the second person in the executive committee NCSG sort of depending on what is going to be discussed.

Or we decide -- I don't know because...

((Crosstalk))

Klaus Stoll: You can't change according to subject it has to be named permanent...

Woman: Permanent.

Klaus Stoll: ...for that period of time one year.

Woman: Okay, so my mistake. I thought there was maybe a workable solution. Okay, so we can keep on discussing this issue within the days and weeks and make a decision if this is find with all of you.

And we also need to discuss the second - the policy committee of NCSG. Yes, thank you Cintra. We do also have a representation within the policy committee side of NCSG. Who was on this committee? Was Poncelet and Rudy so far, has been Poncelet and Rudy?

I just assumed Poncelet was filling in for (Anna) or he wasn't, was he?

Rudy Vansnick: Rudy for the transcript. When we look into the information that was published on the sides it's mentioned - Poncelet's mentioned as he was replacing (Alan). The same was for -- Cintra was in fact also add to a replacement for -- if I'm not wrong -- for the executive committee.

It was a bit strange, sorry it was Poncelet. It was Poncelet also. He was at term in the executive committee. I have no objection having Poncelet in the policy committee but we have to look how we're going to move that.

I don't think it's an urgency today but it's something we have to work on quickly before Buenos Aires.

Klaus Stoll: I would move the motion that we await the week period and responses from proposed candidates at least not that because we will then go and decide on who's representing the - will be the executive committee decide the (INPOC) Chair. And just make a note that it should be on your next agenda.

Woman: Find, do we all agree with the approval? Oh, yes, okay. So we agree that we wait for the current nomination to be consolidated and then we can take further decision regarding who's going to sit on the political committee and second the person who is going to be with the chair on the executive committee.

We do need to speak of the financial committee, right? Rudy, please.

Rudy Vansnick: Yes thank you (unintelligible). Rudy for the transcript. When I looked into the information that was available on the NCSG website in the community space I discovered some strange things in the finance committee that is that there are two, three representatives.

There's one being Robin Gross being the person representing NCSG. There is Klaus Stoll who seems not being aware being in the finance committee and there is Milton Mueller who also seems to be surprised about his appointment and the appointment is done until -- if I'm not wrong -- October.

So anyhow filling the seats in the NCSG cannot be changed in October because they have the slots - the slots are from October to October. As the period of general lead of ICANN, if I'm not wrong so that's why it's in October.

Woman: Thank you Rudy. Klaus?

Klaus Stoll: Yes, Klaus Stoll for the record. So I might get older, I might get senile but I'm really not to my best knowledge aware about being part of the NCSG Finance Committee, actually I would like to.

And the other thing is a way to check off my emails to see anything there. I never received any kind of communications with regards to the NCSG finance committee or anything like that.

So I really pick -- I need to have clarification on that. We were pointed into the direction of Avri and Bill Drake to talk about this and to seek guidance and enlightenment.

I talked to Bill Drake this morning and he says he has no idea of what I'm talking about. So the other person which least of that is Avri. Okay.

Woman: Yes Rudy you have the floor.

Rudy Vansnick: Yes, again I'm coming back to the charter because that's what we have to work on based on when we want to do something. A remarkable thing is that any finance committee part it seems that the NCSG is European entity. Because if I'm reading well and using with and without glasses but I'm still reading the same regarding expenditures, all expenditures under €500 may be made on the authority NCSG treasurer.

All expenditures over €500 must be approved by the NCSG Finance Committee.

So it means that NCSG is European entity. But I cannot explain it else. If it's written in Europe it means it's a European entity.

And I would like to know if is there is a bank account on which there is money because when I'm reading a bit more accounting for any funds received by NCSG from any source is the company that will be included in the (following) and then offense raised by so it means funds are coming into the NCSG for (unintelligible) but transparency again big question is there money and how is that money used?

So that's I think a very critical issue I would like as a treasure of NPOC clarified within a maximum of two weeks because this is really important.

We are trying to get funding and get a sense for unstructured. And in the end if there are organizations approach by NCSG to fund NCSG under the umbrella which we are functioning then we have a conflict. So I would really like to know what's going on in that committee.

(Marielle): Thank you Rudy. Definitely there is room for sitting down with (Robbie) basically and the chair of NCSG and discuss all these issues because this is not clear.

We had the accountability and transparency team this morning with us so speaking of the accountability and transparency looks like there is room for improvements regarding this matter.

And financial aspects are very, very delicate. Other issues are delicate but the financial matters are and transparency especially regarding financial matter (unintelligible) I keep in the view the way I see things are very key and important.

And if we want to make a transparent report at the end of the year and provide clear information to our membership we do need to clarify these aspects.

Can we move on to the next item issue? We can. That would be the NONCOM. Yes Rudy.

Rudy Vansnick: A very small question, do we foresee any break because where humans and we have sometimes things to do that nobody else want to see?

(Marielle): That's really good. That's a nice way of putting it. Well okay do I have the choice? I don't. Let's take ten minutes. Is this - no we can - before right now since - let's take a ten minute break and or 15 minute break yes? But do we agree that we take a 15 minute break?

So it would be until a quarter to 11:00 the next 15 minutes and then we can renew our vision. Thank you very much. Can we stop the recording for 15 minutes?

Man: Testing, test, check, test one, two. Test one two.



Man: Welcome back. This is coming back off the first break. It is 11:00 AM for the nonprofit not-for-profit operational concerns contingency NPOC.

(Marielle): Yes (unintelligible) drop. Can we start the recording please? We are renewing our session from NPOC. I don't - I hear the echo now, renewing our session, NPOC session.

My name is (Marielle) (unintelligible) chairing the session and NPOC chair. And we were discussing the agenda item.

We got to the NONCOM item when we decided to take a break so we're going to move on to the NONCOM issue.

Basically what is happening is that as NPOC we do need to have a seat on the NONCOM. Again this is an issue that has been discussed for quite some time now and has not been resolved for many reasons.

So we are trying to find a solution to the - what we consider is not a problem that is an issue to be addressed because we do as a community group we do deserve to have a seat on the NONCOM.

And so we'll be discussing this recently. And there is an NCSG, actually a NCSG policy committee decision to request the board of ICANN that we get the what is called the academic seats of NONCOM.

Actually Robin Cross the NCSG chair sent the letter to the board yesterday, a formal letter requesting that NPOC gets the academic seats to NPOC.

So we do expect that within the next weeks -- I don't really know the time frame - but and I don't know how quick the board answers to this type of request or letters.

But anyway we at some point we will have an answer and depending on the resolution of the board whether they will allow us or decide that we are entitled to sit on the NONCOM and use the academic seat.

We will discuss whether we need to follow-up on that. And if we get the seats, well we do get the seat, if we don't we will have to decide what we want to do next. Do we have a comment or question about this issue?

Klaus Stoll: This is Klaus Stoll for the record. I think we are in a very tricky situation. The point is that on the one side we have currently the right for a seat on the NONCOM and I think that is something which we shouldn't leave out of sight.

At the - and on the other hand we try to enter the compromises about for example the academic seat. Even if you get the academic seat it doesn't - it's not the right thing to do in that sense because that we are not given what is rightfully ours.

There are to over complicate matters of course review processes are now in the near future about the GNSO and all these things. And there are strategic arguments about, you know, okay why bother now if it really doesn't affect anything for the long term?

So there is a strategic decision to be made. And one is quite simple are we insisting on our right or are we just okay didn't work, let's wait, what's the new thing. And when the new structure is there hopefully we will be represented. That's a decision we have to make.

Gut feeling for me as it is our right we should go for our rights because it's all about keeping up the system.

How - and even if it's just for - if it's just for one day it doesn't matter. You should take that seat and demand that seat for that one day.

And that okay be good boys and girls and behave yes. So that's the shortest explanation I can come up with for a very difficult situation.

(Marielle): Thank you Klaus. Rudy you have the floor.

Rudy Vansnick: Thank you (Marielle), Rudy Vansnick, for the transcripts.

And I want to add to what Klaus just mentioned that we have to also consider that the NONCOM has finished their selection and they will announce the new people their - they have elected for the seats that were available for September So we will quickly know what direction that will take for the moment and we will see also who is going to be appointed for the seats.

That will I think personally clarify a bit the direction they have been working on. And by having seen that we can decide what push we want to go forward if that's a good (idea).

(Marielle): That is very interesting indeed. Thank you very much Rudy and I think it sounds like it's the best way to go. But we have two parallel processes right now which is the request from NCSG to the board for the academic seat.

And we wait for the answer and then at the same time we wait for the NONCOM official decision on this in September.

So and then that would be a starting point. From there we can decide what to do. I think it's the best way to go. There are decisions that we cannot take before knowing, having the answers to - and the resolutions by the board and the NONCOM.

That would be then for the noncom issue unless there are additional comments or questions? No comment, no questions.

Now let's move on to strategic operational plan. We had the preparatory meeting to this meeting and we're discussing the fact that we need Rudy mentioned previously we do need to work on our budget.

But in order to do that we realize that we needed to work on our strategy to planning first. That would be the first phase.

It doesn't have to be and we are a small constituency so I don't think it should be a problem to do it. We're not like doing strategy planning like ICANN's doing.

But yes I think that the right way to go would be first strategy planning. And we are all planning to work on this within the next phase and maybe on Thursday look for a two hour slot so that we can start the process and hopefully maybe work on it and do as much as we can within two hours and maybe even finish if we are very efficient and very quick that day yet not too tired.

And then we can move on to the operational plan. And then we'll be able to do the budget.

What we discussed is that we should cover the July 2013 until 2014 period. So it will take us to the ICANN London meeting.

So that would basically adds this is the plan we have regarding this matter. Do you have any yes Poncelet, please go ahead.

Poncelet Illeleji: Yes Poncelet Illeleji for the record. I would just like to add to what you have said especially now that with Klaus and Rudy walking on the I inform plans within NPOC.

It is important. We have to rule out this our strategy planned for July 2013 to July 2014 as a lot of events where moving to Bali.

So I think we should try as much as possible within the months of August to get a strategy set up for Bali because currently we don't have a standalone program in Bali.

What has been done discussed is what we have with NCUC. I think it is necessary with I inform coming up. And we have to have a standalone program focusing on what I inform wants to do for the (valued) community.

I don't know if Klaus wants to add to that. Thank you.

(Marielle): Thank you Poncelet. Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: Very simple with regard to Bali. We are in a situation where the decision is pending if ICANN directly gets involved in I inform or not.

(Unintelligible) we will know by or we've been promised an answer by tomorrow at 2 o'clock.

And if the answer is yes which I very much hope so there will be as one of the next steps after the event in Bali will happen under with the help and the support of (Sally Cass Corset). And she will get us a slot in the IGF in the room and all that stuff nothing.

So if that is happening it will happen. There is in this regard to Valley there is no Plan B because we can't just demand a room or space.

But if the answer's no the only event or the only thing which is in jeopardy for us is simply the Bali event. All the other events like (unintelligible) will so go ahead.

(Marielle): Thank you Klaus. Poncelet it's good that you brought up this issue because the next item actually were the upcoming events.

So it's linked to the strategy and the budget and the planning. So we actually do not have a slide for this. Oh yes we do. Yes please?

Oh Rudy you want to say something?

Rudy Vansnick: Yes Rudy for the transcript. And as I know that process has been quite active during this Durban meeting and the strategic context. Maybe you can highlight a bit what the initial goals of ICANN are for the upcoming two, three years and see if we can align ourselves in what they have as highlights. I don't know if you have anything to add?

Poncelet Illeleji: Thank you very much Rudy. I'm Poncelet Illeleji for the transcript. And basically especially within the original aspect of ICANN with this new global engagements we will have seen that the Istanbul office is coming up.

And David Olive is going to be there. And then I think one of the strategies with all - and the strategy can role of ICANN is going to see what we as NPOC. We are going to embed ourselves to be part of the overall strategy engagements in the - in two regions currently involved in this new (IMFS).

ICANN is working towards your five year strategy plan towards 2018. Africa already has a new strategy plan started with (unintelligible) events in March and then the Middle East too in Dubai in August. Stuff I think would be coordinated from Istanbul if I'm correct.

I mean (Lars) is here, ICANN staff. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

And I would like to see how NPOC would be involved especially within the Middle East. Because I was (saying) within the African community I'm already embedded therefore NPOC but that is one area that I would like to see us getting a strategic alliance in the Middle East to move ahead. Thank you.

(Marielle): Thank you Poncelet. Yes the strategy - the ICANN strategy can, planning process actually it's on the slide. We can keep to - we can separate two processes.

We're going to speak about what we're doing this week and what we want to do in the near future. So we started the other way around. We started discussing what we were going to do over the next month.

We can take a step back and come back to Durban. And I just want to mention that this week - well actually this morning we had a half hour meeting with the Accountability Transparency Review Team Number 2 which (they're still) meeting with most of the stakeholders and community groups.

We are currently having a contingency meeting day. And tomorrow we are having I Informed the Alliance Workshop.

I don't know if Klaus wants to give a little bit more information about this, the workshop that we're going to have tomorrow.

This debate's more of a housekeeping issue but tomorrow it's going to be a more outreach strategic content issue.

Klaus Stoll: Yesterday's a boring day and this the day where we earn our money for the ticket to come here. Sorry I just have to sneeze. Thank you.

Just with regard to the (I Form) as I just mentioned we had some very interesting discussions with Fadi, (Nigel) and other people here in Durban and are very, very grateful for the broad support we are getting and also the inputs in how we can make things more effective and better.

So tomorrow we will have an event here basically discussing the (I Form). What we are going to do is to introduce the latest version of the program, go into the different sections and also the implementation.

We already have a very detailed plan of implementation which is basically based on - includes and is based on the creation of the (unintelligible) compound and some support from organizations.

And as I said if we are blessed by the approval of ICANN (unintelligible) tomorrow we basically will be able to go ahead in a very rapid way.

If the approval is not forthcoming things will go ahead but just in a more slower and measured - yes measured pace. And that's all and I wish everybody who's listening to this please tomorrow 2 o'clock participate. It will be an interesting session.

Especially because Rudy will be able to speak and will for example introduce more of that new element what we have for the (I Star) lines including all the (I Star) plus concept which is now included in the (I Form) which really gives it now a more rounded and better direction. That's all thank you.

(Marielle): Thank you very much Klaus. God bless you. Thank you very much.

Other - well as I said we are having three, four more meetings. But in addition to that we are pretty very active and attending all the sessions.

Myself, I'm acting this week is a temporary alternate for Wendy Seltzer sorry, who is a GNSO counselor. So I have to attend, in addition to the NPOC activities I am attending the GNSO council meetings and different activities.

And as NPOC we are also attending different workshops on specific policy issues such as new directory services otherwise known as (unintelligible).

Also I think tomorrow we'll be attending the Thick versus Thin Whois workshop. We also yesterday we attended I think most of us or all of us we were under strategy, the ICANN strategy planning meeting.



I think it was such a big room and so many people that we couldn't see each other. But it was very interesting session actually.

And having said that Poncelet mentioned that in relation to the ICANN strategy planning process Poncelet already said that we decided that we are going to apply, we are going to offer volunteering to become date for the strategic planning working group that ICANN is currently forming. And so we are submitting our names and deciding actually who wants to join which groups.

We - do we do - can we do it right now and decide if or we do it afterwards? Because we already talked that - we did it afterwards right? Rudy?

Rudy Vansnick: Yes I saw a message this morning, an email and I'm trying to catch it again. But the panels are formed by invitation and that people have to send a resume (CV) which indicates to me that it looks more as a staff function rather than being one of the community people stepping in.

So that's another question mark that pops up when I saw this message this morning.

(Marielle): I'm sorry could you repeat that? I lost you for a few seconds. What about the staff?

Rudy Vansnick: About the panels? I saw a email this morning clarifying that consulting (unintelligible) community. And interested people have to send their CV resume which looks a bit to me as they are looking rather for staff than for volunteers. That's something I would like to see clarified.

(Marielle): No. Fadi yesterday clearly said that the way it's going to be organized is that there is one chair that is being picked by himself and his team and that the

rest, the seven members of each group is going - they are going to be from the community yes.

They're not ICANN staff. He specifically said on several occasions that he does not want to have staff among the seven members of each working group.

It - this is different from the process of recruiting the volunteers. And they - a party it sometimes happened that it's a call - a expression of interest actually.

So they ask the community members to submit the curriculums such as the need for - they recently did the same for the - an IDN related activity yes.

It's just a process of selections but still the people who are submitting the names they from the community. They're not ICANN staff. Yes Poncelet wants to say something.

Poncelet Illeleji: I mean it's very well spelled out from the email which said interested individuals should send their resume CV to the email addresses affiliated with each of the specific areas by 29 July 2013.

Members will be selected by ICANN President and CEO in coordination with each ICANN strategy panel chair. So what so - basically it's basically a review process just like it's like an appointment. It looks like an appointment. And that's what Rudy was trying to specify from the email.

Yes it's (Jared). I would like to suggest to add to what Poncelet was saying is that normally they are always speaking about a statement of interests.

While this is specifically mentioning a resume CV which is a bit different so again transparency is a point on which they have to be clear if they are looking for staffing or looking for volunteers. It's not clear in the message.

(Marielle): May be I'm going to defend right now. I mean since yesterday it was very, very clear to me and I'm getting from all the people who were in the session that Fadi said that they are expecting community members to apply.

Maybe the process maybe the way the - I haven't seen the letter. Maybe the (unintelligible) it's not clear but yesterday it was crystal clear. I mean there was no room for any confusion.

Maybe I don't know and maybe it's the way the letter was written.

Poncelet Illeleji: I think because I followed that the email when I saw it yesterday to all of your colleagues. And if you look at it clearly it looks like it called for appointment.

Because what I know in the - even when the Meeting Strategic Working Group was set up which I'm part of what happened was that in the selection and process is not that they called for a (CVR) resume.

They asked you if you want to join the group and your constituency supports you like within the GNSO you write a statement of interest.

And that statement of interest basically states your whole understanding of the whole ICANN processes and why you feel your experience will into the Meeting Strategy Working Group.

I expected and personally that should have been the case and for this one. But now we are calling for resumes and CVs it looks like a staff position.

I don't know and (unintelligible) do you have any comment on staff? Yes, no okay.

(Marielle): Maybe it's just it's the process of recruiting the volunteers that is like slightly different than more formal and gave the impression it's appointment.

But still it doesn't exclude the fact that the people who are going to be recruited, appointed -- whatever will be community members.

Man: (Unintelligible).

(Marielle): Thank you very much. So anyhow regardless of the process or recruitments we still are interested in submitting our names right as we agreed and discussed yesterday. Okay.

So what's left to do is to sit down in the course of the day or tomorrow and decide on the list and pick the groups and simply actually write - we decided - we discussed yesterday that I would send the names but now we're going to send - in the letter it's very clear the process and we have to stick to it.

I was - just wanted to mention also that among other issues that we are interested in relation to policy issues is a trademark clearinghouse.

So personally tomorrow or the day after -- I don't remember -- we will be attending the session on the trademark clearinghouse. This is another policy issue that is of interest of mine.

There is also the - in the international government organization names issue. We can move on to the policy issues and the working groups we are attending so that we can maybe give a progress report about what type of working groups we are attending currently in what we're planning to do in the near future.

I know Poncelet is part of the IGO working group and another one for some reason I always forget the name of the second group you attend?

Poncelet Illeleji: Okay I'm presently involved in three working groups although the structure of - Poncelet Illeleji sorry, for the record. The structure of the meeting has been difficult for me to attend our INGO Working Group yesterday because I had to

be in the Meeting Strategy Group meeting because that was our first closed session meeting in Durban after the first we had in Beijing when the group was first formed.

And then I'm also involved with the ICANN Academy Working Group, you know, so those I need to because I feel in those two groups are very strategic especially in our one for the, our capacity building and processes within the ICANN Working Group went NPOC contribute.

And in terms of the meeting Strategy Working Group why it's important it is because as always ICANN is using the Meeting Strategy Working Group to review how the meetings are organized and everything.

We are not sure what (unintelligible) will continue after Buenos Aires. It depends on the recommendations and meet at the end.

And but the most important thing is that being part of that and root for NPOC and we can know how to align our planning of events, especially pre-events as like what happened with the GNSO and Africa forum where we had to align within ISOC and ICANN and to form it.

And this is - those are such things that where I know we are going to be involved in all ICANN meetings with Buenos Aires.

So we have to see how we are going to plan it in all these things. So I just (unintelligible). Thank you.

(Marielle): Thank you Poncelet. Just one quick question, I'm not familiar with the ICANN Academy Working Group. What is it about exactly? What is this working group about? What...

Poncelet Illeleji: Okay basically ICANN is setting up and trying to set up an academy structure. And the format is we are - I am already a contract has been given or I mean we have already created an online model.

An online model has already - is going is being developed open source. And companies is doing that platform, developing that platform.

Now what will happen within that there are different tracks so you can have like a ICANN one on one online. And then and then there will be a leadership training that will be happening if similar leadership training that would one of the first activities of this ICANN academy coming up in Buenos Aires.

You know, so basically it's a platform whereby so many people apart from the fellowship because you - if you look at it in a way fellowship is also a kind of ICANN academy.

But it would be - this ICANN Academy Working Group is trying to structure the learning processes of understanding the whole ICANN ecosystem in relation.

So people that are come in and people that are there already because you look at the training, your constituency, only work with a cross constituency, there are some certain things you want to know and including the academy there are one of the things that will happen.

The chair is (Sandra). And the group is really working very fast. So I think before Buenos Aires you'll be hearing setting announcements and I will also share more information on it with NPOC. Thank you.

(Marielle): Thank you Poncelet, very interesting. Since you mentioned the ICANN fellow - fellows I forgot to say that this as part of the activities we're going to attend to tomorrow morning we'll - I'm going to go to the to meet the ICANN fellows.

And Rudy is going to go with me because Rudy is a new NPOC member, not a new ICANN member. He's a new NPOC member.

So I thought it would be interesting for the fellows to listen to Rudy and explain how was it he's experiencing joining NPOC and the whole process.

It's a very quick presentation but it's very interesting to go. And it's also for us a good way of sort certain of explaining what we're doing and recruiting maybe some of the new ICANN fellows and who will actually work for NGOs and maybe get interested and want to join NPOC.

So what I think we're done with this part. Unless - oh Cintra wants to say something thank you. Go ahead Cintra.

Cintra Sooknanan: Thank you. Yesterday I take part in the ICANN Five Year Strategy Workshop and I had the opportunity to moderate a session.

And I just wanted to go through some of these topic areas releasing to that strategy, the upcoming strategy of ICANN within the next five years.

Some of the topic areas are rule and clarity for ICANN, operational excellence, internationalization and regional development, security and stability, Internet governance, users, ICANN community, and domain name industry engagement.

And ICANN is soliciting input from the entire community. So it means if any of our members have seen any one of these topic areas they are more than welcome to channel this through either the NPOC mailing list or through ICANN engagement channels directly.

(Marielle): Thank you very much Cintra and thank you for moderating one of the groups yesterday.

I actually during our break I thought that they had displayed some of the answers on - in the corridor so that we can read some of the answers of certain groups about strategic planning. It was very interesting.

I had a question about in my group about internationalization of ICANN and they were interesting input from the participants to this group.

I don't think do you want to add anything about this item? You don't. So I can't - I don't think I have released anything. We can move on to the last items.

I think I wanted to talk about also publications. The last item's a very quick one says just we sort of discussed within the group that we have to strengthen our presence and expertise regarding some specific policy issues.

And this applies having an increased participation within ICANN regarding those praise issues.

It implies having an active participation on some working groups because we are not that many people so far. So we cannot possibly attend all the working groups. So we have to be strategic about it and pick the working groups that are within our expertise and interests.

So I already mentioned that Poncelet already mentioned the working group he's attending. Personally I have been attending the Thick versus Thin Whois Working Group.

I'm planning to attend the next working group on the new directory services whenever it happens because it can be within six months, a year. I don't really know.



I've been thinking about the IGO Working Group too. But Poncelet is already in it so maybe it's not worth having two NPOC people within the same working group since we are not that many people.

But being active regarding policy issues is not only about being in working groups. There are other ways of having our voice heard.

And these are basically we can also contribute during the public comments period. There is a lot of - there are a lot of opportunities for us to write statements about specific issues and submit them.

Right now my understanding is that the new directory services public comment period is open if I'm not mistaken so we can personally we make sure that we submit public comments.

Rudy wants to say something about this. You have the floor.

Rudy Vansnick: Thank you (Marielle). Rudy Vansnick for the transcript.

As now I'm the new chair of the Policy Committee. I will of course try to get as many members and people involved in policy and asking them in which part of the structure they want to participate. And that's a message that will be sent out after Durban.

Personally (unintelligible) there was a call for volunteers for the drafting team to develop charter for GNSO Working Group on GNSO metrics and reporting.

So I volunteered for that one. I've also been asked to be in another drafting team. I just don't remember the name anymore as there were so many calls the last few weeks.

I think it's important that we structure ourselves with regards to policy and what are the topics on which we really want from NPOC that we are heard

and where we went to push our vision and (all those) so that it is not only seen within RCSG but also at the higher level because I think it's quite important that we are seen.

But the work that NPOC is doing is sitting at the higher level. And one of the tasks I'm going to try to take up and I will of course first discuss this in the Excom is to try to make a bridge between us and At Large as I'm coming from that community.

As I said earlier this morning it's important that we pick up good advice and do something with it and show ICANN that the cross community works.

Because that's I think an initial point on which Fadi is trying to look how good are the communities working together even if they are in other constituencies.

And I think that's one of the reasons we should try to take up in the policy committee. And I'm also counting on Klaus to do that (unintelligible), on Klaus and on Poncelet to do that in the different regions so that we get the feedback (literally) from the advice level and put it into a policy level otherwise it would not be fast.

And that's what I heard yesterday from Fadi. He wants to move faster. And I think we can help him by just taking up the message that he sends us and say okay we are catching advice. Let's see what we can do with this and bring it up as policy proposal.

So that's my idea of about trying to get us in a richer context in the bigger picture. And that fits also in what we are outlining as being important in (I Form).

(Marielle): Thank you Rudy, points well taken. As an examples of issues that - well I already gave examples. But yesterday I invited the members of the Expert Working Group on the new directory services to come and visit us today.

So because within the report, the initial report they issued there is a section on privacy and data protection that is of concern to us regarding the data, the - how the data is going to go public or not and how the data is going to be protected.

And I thought that we have specific concerns about the new model that is proposed as representatives of the interest of NGOs who are specialized in the field of freedom expression, protection of privacy.

Therefore this is a very, very special interest to us. And they are coming to visit us at 1 o'clock for a half hour session so that we can share with them the concerns we have about the contents that they displayed in the initial reports.

And there was something else I wanted to say and I forgot what it was so yes Cintra you want to add something?

Cintra Sooknanan: Yes. Thank you. Before we close I just want to acknowledge that (Olivier) is on the remote participation list. And I just want to mention to everyone that unfortunately (Olivier) could not be here with us because of issues with his travel here. But we thank him for attending remotely.

(Marielle): Well (Olivier) hello. I was not aware that you were online. And we're very sorry as I told you through the email, very sorry that that you could not make it.

Sorry. We talked about you and well we hope that you'll be able to join us at some point but we're glad that you were able to join us online.

So first there is another item I wanted to mention is the cross contingency work. I remember now. I remember what I wanted to say about the policy issues that is worrying us.

Yesterday there was a statement made in that GAC by someone from ICANN staff, a response to a query from the GAC member.

And after that response there was a statement circulating, it was about Article 29 Working Party letter that was sent to ICANN.

And the actual response from the ICANN staff to the GAC member actually worried us is an issue not very happy about and do not share the vision of the person from ICANN staff who in search of the GAC member.

And today we tried to reach out to the GAC, some of the GAC members and I expressed to them our concerns about what happened yesterday as a community group.

And that actually the GAC member from the European Commission he did expressed his concerns yesterday as a response to the ICANN staff comment person comment.

And we're going as a contingency and as a chair of NPOC are we - sorry. I will do my best today to try to speak to some of the GAC members and maybe the representative of the European unit Commission if I can and tell him that we do share with him the worries that he has about the position of ICANN regarding the letter.

Yes Cintra?

Cintra Sooknanan: Before we close I just want to kind of give an idea of the conversation on the Adobe Connect room. (Olivier) in relation to the ICANN five year strategy workshop has asked what should be done by ICANN to help for quick growth of NPOC in Africa particularly.

And I've asked him to add all his comments by email to our mailing list so that we can forward appropriately.

(Marielle): Thank you Cintra and thank you (Olivier) for the comments. I think yes, that's the best way to go.

Unless - oh well yes, there is another any other business thing to say but it's very short is that just a reminder that the August phone call meeting that was scheduled has been canceled.

So just to make sure that no one is expecting the call for next August because yes I was - because it is just next Tuesday so since we are having this session today there's no need to have another meeting, online meeting with open membership. Oh sorry, July, July meeting I'm confused. Yes Rudy.

Everybody's waving at me and you're right. I'm confused. I'm talking about next Tuesday's meeting with our membership right?

Rudy Vansnick: Yes Rudy Vansnick for the transcript. I would like to add to that that we tried to plan having another call but it will probably be an executive committee call to try to set up as soon as possible our event for Buenos Aires and for Bali, especially for Buenos Aires.

Already we identified that we need a working group that will work together with the partners that are interested to have this event.

I think it's important that we can today already mention so that our community knows about that in Buenos Aires the Friday before the ICANN meeting starts it will be a full day event organized by NPOC together with partners.

And that we invite everybody being interested to bring up anything that they want to hear about on that meeting.

(Marielle): Great. Thank you very much Rudy. So with that I think we can wrap up the session unless someone else has to add something, say something, ask a question? Cintra one last comment?

Cintra Sooknanan: I just want to confirm that some of the topics that were on the agenda I don't believe we've gotten to all of them on the agenda list.

Okay if we have then I'm happy. Thank you.

(Marielle): Yes we have. I have the list in front of me and I checked each one of them. And on occasions what we did is yes we - yes exactly.

But we would - we covered all the issues. Thank you for reminding this because there is - yes you're right.

Thank you very much for attending this session and we can stop the recording. Thank you very much.

END