19 February 2010 Nairobi Meeting Update

Fri 19 Feb 2010

ICANN's Board met at 3h UTC today, and resolved to proceed with plans to hold ICANN's 37th meeting in Nairobi, Kenya.

The Board was briefed on:

  • Additional measures taken by the Kenyan hosts and ICANN to enhance security;
  • Current registration and cancellation figures, particularly noting those who have declared they will not attend;
  • The full agenda planned for the meeting, with a commitment to move ahead on relevant decisions;
  • The demand (and challenge!) to provide enhanced remote participation tools, to support those who won't be attending in person;
  • The need for ongoing monitoring of the security situation;
  • Ongoing communication with the community.

Some have asked about registration levels, so let me share that information. Last Tuesday, ICANN asked all registrants to cancel their registration if they were unable to attend. Between the time of that email on Tuesday and 24 hours ago, there had been 72 cancellations, and 23 new registrations. Overall registrations as of 24 hours ago are at 738.

While staff will be actively monitoring the situation up to and through the meeting, our focus now will transition to detailed session-by-session meeting review, remote participation logistics, etc.

And, while we may not have daily updates, any significant new news will be promptly posted here and communicated to you.

Doug Brent
Chief Operating Officer