

---

BUENOS AIRES – ALAC Leadership Team (ALT) Meeting with the NCSG Leadership  
Thursday, November 21, 2013 – 12:30 to 13:30  
ICANN – Buenos Aires, Argentina

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, we'll start in one minute.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: 30 seconds. Could you please take your seats ladies and gentlemen?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Let's have the recording on please. Okay. Well good afternoon everybody. Apologies for the delay. This is the ALAC Leadership Team, ALT meeting with the NCSG. The ALT is the previous At Large Executive Committee, the ExCom. Those members of the NCSG that are sitting around in the back chairs, we've got plenty of space at the table.

Please, move forward to the table, if you wish to do so. I know Avri doesn't want to. Please move to the table, no I will not. So thank you. Welcome, welcome Robin.

ROBIN: Welcome. Thank you having us.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Apologies for the delay. We always have a wrap up just before this meeting, and it was just a little bit more complicated, well it always is a bit complicated. We have an agenda which is actually quite a straightforward agenda. There are two items on the agenda. There is

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

the Montevideo statement in Brazil follow up, and there is also the subject of PICs, the Public Interest Commitments.

I guess both of us spoke about it, and well, I'll let you now introduce some of your team who are here, then we can go straight into the Montevideo statement and Brazil follow up.

ROBIN: Wonderful. Thank you very much. Just so you guys know, my term as the NCSG chair is ending with this meeting, so NCSG has elected a new chair. So I wanted folks to be aware that [?] from Tunisia is our new chair. And we also have some other new leadership, I wanted to introduce [?] from Egypt, and he's our new counsellor, one of our new counsellors on the GNSO counsel.

And who else do we have up here? I see Avri Doria, I see [?]. My eyes are going.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Is Avri assuming a new position?

ROBIN: I see [?] as well. And we've got Wendy [Seltzer], and I thought I might have just seen David Chick, there he is, David Cake and I think folks should be aware that he will be the vice chair of the GNSO counsel representing the non-contracted part of this house. Okay. So I think I've seen everyone in here that I wanted to introduce. Hi Glenn.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Robin. We have a couple of newcomers as well on our committee. So on the far right, we have Maureen Hillard who is going to be our new liaison with the ccNSO. No politically, oh God, Evan, please, behave. Then we have Glenn McKnight who is going to be secretariat for NARALO. Then we have [?] who is on the ALAC for AFRALO.

We have Leon Sanchez, who has been selected by the Nom Com to be on the ALAC for the LACRALO region. Looking around, we have Matt Ashtiani who you now has, yup. Heidi, of course, Evan, Sandra Hoferichter, Holly Riache is there. Garth Bruen, Alan Greenberg is still here. Rinalia will be leaving us. Bye-bye and replaced by [?]. You will notice, well fine.

There is no comparison, sorry [Raf]. Let's not go there, that's right. I'm really doomed now. [Statish Babu] next who is – you're on the Nom Com, aren't you? Yes on the Nom Com. Dev Anand Teelucksingh, of course, as you know, and then we have our – and we have, yeah. There is Heidi hiding behind there, Cheryl is still there, but she's leaving us as a ccNSO liaison. So that's the position now.

Let's go forward, I guess, with the Montevideo statement and Brazil follow up. Just as an intro from the ALAC, the ALAC is on record for having sent a correspondence to Fadi Chehade, regarding the Brazil, I can't speak anymore. Brazil summit. And I wonder whether we can have a link to this, or... It's a very short statement effectively.

I know, but it was called Brazil summit at the time, so I can't change the name of it, and it's ancient history, but effectively, it reads as follows: "Dear Fadi, the ALAC welcome the announcement by Brazilian president

---

Dilma Rousseff and you of a major summit, sorry, of government, civil society, academia, and business to take place in Rio de Janeiro in 2014.

We congratulate your recommendations offered in the 2012 ALAC white paper, making ICANN relevant, responsive, and respected, both regarding the proposed summit and the recent Montevideo statement, made by you and other Internet leaders. The ICANN global At Large community looks forward to actively contributing to this effort in building upon the kind of real change identified and addressed by the paper.

You can count on our help and support in creating a truly diverse, inclusive, and purposeful event.” And I was glad I was able to read it very fast because we don’t have interpretation now, so the interpreters didn’t need to catch up with this. So that’s the position, I guess, of the ALAC as such. And I think maybe as an intro, it would be helpful to find the position of the NCSG, if the NCSG has reached a consensus position.

ROBIN:

Well, I think, excuse me my voice is going so I apologize if I sound a little strange, a little scratchy and froggy. But, I think the NCSG has had a lot of internal discussions about this, and we are looking forward to participating and helping to shape the dialogue that’s coming out – going into the Brazil meeting as well as coming out of it.

And we have setup a working group, and a mailing list to help provide, to come up with inputs, policy inputs and such that we can then feed into the summit, excuse me now I’m saying it, the meeting. And so

---

come up with some policy inputs to fit into that, and try to participate, and try to help bring the perspective that we can bring.

From our perspective, those of us in this room, the At Large members and the members of the non-commercial stakeholders groups, we are the civil society participants who have been engaging in this, building this multi stakeholder policy development process for 15 years. So we do have a lot of experience internally, between our two groups, about how what we know, what we've learned about the multi stakeholder experience.

And we think it's important for us then to now go to this meeting, and try to help bring the knowledge and the experience that we've learned, and try to help shape it, have kind of outcomes that we want to see.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay, thank you very much Robin. So I think maybe one of the things that prevails, or that has prevailed since the beginning of this whole discussion on Montevideo, and the discussions over at the IGF, and here the whole week, is some sense of confusion from a lot of participants, and I've been having quite a lot of concerns about the sense of confusion.

I wondered whether we could do a quick roundtable of what people understand by this One Net initiative by the conference that will take place, if they have concerns, do they think that it's something, or how do they think that can take part in it, how can we contribute. There is one thing, having been in a session yesterday morning and seeing the questions fielded, there was a lot of questions as to what the

---

composition of the team was going to be, or the different teams was going to be, but very little discussion on the goals.

And I don't whether your community has had any chance to discuss the goals. So I'm just throwing a few threads out there, if you have any of those. I see Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Hi. Just so you're aware, the letter that we sent out was actually inspired by a member of the NC side, who I will leave that person to speak up if they want to, but that will be their choice. The whole concept of the letter that we sent was number one, it was to dispel when Fadi when to IGF, that he would get complaints that there wasn't anyone in the community behind at least the spirit of the initiative.

But the other thing is, and I hope that the letter put it through, this summit, conference, meeting, confab, whatever they decide to call it next, is going to be pointless unless it is inclusive. If this is simply a way to bring specific parties to the table, and the old death by parenthesis things, people you get excluded, excluded to the point where the people that are left making the decisions are just another set of elites to replace the current set of elites, or whatever, that's not accomplishing squat.

And so, I think our goal right now, or at least as I see it, is that we have to make sure that this thing is inclusive. We have to make sure this thing is community wide. And I'll tell you as far as I'm concerned, after yesterday morning's meeting, I was more confused than I was going in. I

---

thought there was some kind of coherent vision in what was being presented, until I saw how chaotic things were yesterday.

And that sort of gave me pause for concern about how well this is planned, considering the short timeframe. If this was something they were going to do a year from now or something like this, and they had some time to get their act together, it has a chance of being something cohesive. What is it, April? I mean, we're talking barely half a year from now, to go from the chaos we saw yesterday into something that is something to produce anything actionable.

I've got a real concern about that. I don't know how this plays out on the NC side. But I went around to a bunch of people yesterday saying, "What did you think of the 7 AM conference?" And the overriding theme was confusion, that people went in not knowing what things – what it was going to be, and then came out knowing even less.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I can't argue with that overall statement, but I'll point out that what Fadi did was say he wants a group to coalesce within ICANN, and charge the chairs of the various ACs and SOs from doing that. So between Evan and sorry, beside Evan, we have one of the small group of people who is supposed to, out of chaos, to make order. And I don't think that means they have to do the work themselves, but they have to make sure some group is formed very quickly to try to make order out of this.

---

So I don't know how we do that, but there is a requirement and we don't have much time to do it properly. But at least he didn't tell us he's deciding how to organize it, and it's a done deal, because that would scare the something out of me.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Holly Raiche.

HOLLY RAICHE: My worries are we are going to be so worried about organization and forget we have to define what the hell we're going for. I understood the goal to be that we would – we all believe, and I'm coming to hate the term, but it's multi-stakeholder, which I translate as open, transparent, participatory, those sorts of things.

That the model that we want for the Internet is about an open and collaborative process and so forth. I think if we don't start with goals, then I'm not sure how we're going to organize ourselves, because we have to start – what is it, first of all, what is the threats, and I suggest we go back to we're getting asked what those threats are, and what divided everybody.

And then we say, well actually we don't want that division, so what are the ways to produce coherence out of incoherence? Or unity out of division? Then we worry about organization, but my also take in asking everybody what happened at 7:00, because I had to be in another meeting, was also chaos, and also a complete lack of clarity on what the hell people wanted as a goal.



---

So, could we start there?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Holly. I would like to hear from some NCs I guess, because we've spoken a lot and I'd like to see what your thoughts are like.

ROBIN: Well, I think we've shared a lot of the frustrations that you've expressed about the organization and the lack of clarity, and what seems to be a little bit of an elite management, and a top down management. And so I think the staff needs to do a better job of communicating very specifics. I mean, I can give you an example. We participated in one of the calls with Fadi that he organized for the community to ask questions about the One Net initiative.

And I ask the question, who owns and operates the website? And Fadi says, "We all do." I mean, that's not an answer. We've got to get a little bit more specific. Well that was why I asked the question...

UNIDENTIFIED: Several of us did that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, until it was behind the proxy.

ROBIN: So I think we've got to get more specifics. We can't have the staff telling us what our movement is about. I mean, they keep telling us this

---

is a movement, but the only people I see moving right now in any direction are the staff and Fadi. So we've got... I think we've got to assert a little bit of more control and participation in trying to shape the direction that this takes, otherwise they're in that vacuum, it will be this Fadi, and the ISTARs, and the businesses, and the governments, and the civil society will be left out of it.

So I think what we really want to do is we need to work together and try to cooperate and have some joint contributions that we can make in this process. But we've got to get better answers, and we got to get sort of less defensive and less PR, and really try to understand where this is headed. I don't know. Did any of my other members want to say something on this? I'm looking at [?].

OLIVIER: If you're looking for someone with an uninformed opinion, that would be me.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That's Olivier.

OLIVIER: Yeah, this is Olivier. But my impression is that everyone has a pretty uninformed opinion because there is very little information out there on what it is we're supposed to expect, who is making the decisions? What are the various email lists being setting about this? How are they going to coalesce, will they?

---

Who will be represented? How will the representation be divided? So I've got more questions than answers. So there you have it. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. Has there been any discussion in the GNSO itself on a GNSO wide basis, or maybe not officially since I know you have agendas which are prepared well in advance, but in the corridors of the GNSO, between yourself.

ROBIN: Yeah, I think we have, we've talked informally with a lot of the, particularly the CSG members they're a bit concerned, and I think also the commercial stakeholder group members, they're concerned about the directions this is headed. I think the registries and the registrars are not happy with the way this is going, and so I think that there is more concern and less support, I would say, with the other members of the GNSO, then they are with the members of the non-commercial community regarding the meeting.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. We have Holly and then Evan. So Holly first.

HOLLY RAICHE: I think my problem with the concern is I hear it from registries and registrars, is ICANN should stick with its technical business and keep the hell out of politics. And I don't that's our concern, I think our concern is a very different one. So when you say they are concerned and we're

---

concerned, I think you should differentiate as to what we're concerned about.

And I think once we identify what we want, which is ICANN supporting an open Internet, because the goal hasn't been otherwise defined, then let's differentiate because we're not going to get the registries and registrars on the same page we all, at all. They're not there.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Robin?

ROBIN: I think that's true that they're really seeing this as a mission expansion, and I think that that is, to some extent, a very reasonable concern, because we don't know where this is headed. We don't know which direction this is working. And they've, in this forum, here at ICANN, they've been able to manage a lot of the processes and they don't know what's going to happen over there, and there is a lot of concern that a particular governmental, or governments, will want to use this meeting as an opportunity to take more control away from the private sector and from civil society with respect to how the Internet is managed.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Robin. Evan Leibovitch is next.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: One of the things that's always been sort of peeve of mine for meetings that NC has with the ALAC is the lack of deliverables and action items.

---

And I think we have an opportunity for one here. At the beginning of the 7 AM, Fadi brought up the slide saying he wants cross-community working groups. This was a radical change from something that we experienced from him not 24 hours earlier, but I won't dwell on that.

The main point is he called on having a cross-community working group. I think there is an opportunity for us jointly to drive that. If nobody else is coming forward, we have the opportunity to say, "All right, we are prepared to start the ball rolling on exactly what it is he asked for." If we can pick a group of people from amongst our communities, set that forward, and say, "We're going to start this cross-community group.

Fine. It's open, we'll bring everyone in." But somebody has got to pick that ball up and run with it. We can have the opportunity to actually start that initiative right here. That's my suggestion as an action item, going from here, taking him up on that offer, and running with it.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Robin and then Avri.

ROBIN: Yeah. I'd like to support what Evan just said on that because given there is a void, and we are the ones moving forward and everyone else is pulling back, I think you're right. This is an opportunity to try to get in early and have an influence in the system. Avri.

AVRI DORIA: Thanks. I'm also backing up. And in fact, I think we've seen what can happen when, you know, it was the case of ALAC and a few others

---

starting the ball rolling on the cross-community Academy working group. And we saw that that actually had quite an effect. So I very much support the model, and this is as good as a core to start it around.

I think that doing this is actually important because whatever our view of... Yeah, people like to throw away things in this hotel. Okay. It was... Yeah, no, thank you. I'm sure somebody is going to be quite happy.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank goodness we have someone watching over the gifts. Goodness.

AVRI DORIA: We have a master at arms in the room.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Back to you Avri.

AVRI DORIA: So, I think it's very... Whatever our spread of views is on, is this going beyond? Or is this actually part of our mission? Is beside the point. I think that in terms of being heavily involved so that we make sure that it doesn't go in a direction that harms our collective abilities to participate, is an important starting room. And then, among ourselves, we can discuss whether we think – to what degree we think it needs to do X, Y, or Z.

So, I think it's a great idea. I volunteer to be part of any group that gets put together.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Avri. Next we have Holly Raiche.

HOLLY RAICHE: I loved the phrase you used Avri, our ability to participate. To me, that phrase actually encapsulates probably something we can all agree on, and something, it's goal and it's a goal we all agree on. And I think that is what is in contention. And if ICANN is going to stand for something other than just technical, then maybe that's it because the organization actually lets us participate the way it's structured. So maybe just adopt that as the goal and the organizing phrase. I like it.

ROBIN: [?]?

UNIDENTIFIED: Okay, thanks. I think we have an agreement here, and so going back to the point, how should we proceed and how can we coordinate? So I'm asking Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you [?]. Over to Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks. [?] my suggestion at this point is at least to get the ball started, that NC and ALAC jointly pick three people each to form a starting team, and that you and Olivier jointly write a letter to Fadi, saying we are

---

going to take you up on your offer. The challenge you gave us on Wednesday morning, we are proposing to setup this cross-community working group.

We have an initial steering team, here it is, let's go.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Bill.

BILL: Hi. Sorry I'm late and sorry I can't talk very well.

ROBIN: So keep the microphone really close to your mouth, it's hard to hear you.

BILL: I couldn't speak at all yesterday. So it's going around, a number of people have it, I think. So on the cross-community thing, Fadi kept telling me he wanted to have three different groups. I told him I thought this was just too ambitious. I mean, I don't... He said, "Well, but they're different activities. One Net is a different thing from the Brazil summit," and so forth.

I think we can't keep starting all of these different things in every direction, and thinking that people have enough bandwidth to be in everything. And there are so many people who are confused, or oppositional, or whatever about this thing. I think one focused cross-



---

community group on this process will make sense, and I think NC and ALAC working together on that will be really good on that.

Have you talked, I'm sorry we were late but we were strategizing about related things, have you talked about what to do beyond that in the One Net context, how are you going to try and do that? Because it has become a ridiculous situation with people elbowing for positions, and who counts as a real group, and everybody – all of these coalitions standing up and saying, "Well, we want out person."

It doesn't really matter all that much who is on a particular committee and so on. What's important is that we put ideas into the process, because the governments are not going to figure out ways to formulate the documents that they need and the timeframe. I mean, Fadi saying, "Oh, March 1..."

He came up to me in Bali, on the first meeting on Sunday, he says, "Well, we have to have an institutional architecture mapped out by March 1." And I said, "You know, Fadi, it's a little ambitious." And he's like, "Yeah, we're going to have to move fast, I need your help." Okay, so, where I think we can really have the best leverage is not so much who sits in which community and receives 8,000 emails from it. It's going to be, if we can get out front and proactively put ideas on the table about each of these topics that are under discussion, and sort of – not something too elaborate that people can't process, but that at least frames the range of possible debate.

When that high level committee meets in the middle of December in London, and everything from there, they're going to need something to work off of, and these government guys are not going to have anything.

---

So where do we always get the most influence? It's when we put ideas on the table, right? So this is what I would really emphasize.

It would be good to try to get on the committees and things like that, but I wouldn't focus so much on that, I would focus on what we're inputting.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

As a quick response to the ISTAR and all of that, just as a show of hands, just for the heck of it, hands up everyone here that has something to do with ISOC. Okay. So, I think we've covered off a little bit of the fact that we've got some cross-pollination going on here without even having to do anything. Okay. So, in terms of who we bring in, I'm talking about, we're taking an initiative here, but by definition this is going to be an open thing.

Anybody that wants to come in from inside or outside of ICANN, if they want to participate, if they want to put in the sweat to actually help this happen, as opposed to just sit on a mailing list and do nothing. We need some people to help. If people want to come forward, I don't care where they come from, but somebody has got to start that ball rolling. Somebody has got to pick up the challenge. That's my own take on this.

As far as finding the other groups to come in, they'll find us if we're getting it done.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Evan. And I think that what Evan is trying to describe here is a goal oriented group, loose group of some sort. It

---

sounds very much like a flash crowd or something, around an idea, just go and it all comes together. Much less concerned, yeah. Much less concerned about hierarchy and things. The feeling that I get from our community is saying, let's stop talking about positions and committees and all that stuff.

You know, let's draft statements. Let's start putting documents together, because we definitely need that vision. We need that vision to move forward, so the more documents we'll have, the faster we have them, the more we've got something to start working on. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE:

I don't necessarily want more documents, I want better documents. And if we've got one absolutely crash hot document that becomes like the banner for everybody, fantastic. Don't do it in numbers, do it in vision.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Bill?

BILL:

I just also wanted to say, I said it very briefly yesterday in that 7 AM session, but since I couldn't talk, I don't know if anybody understood me. That NCUC, you've got the ATLAS thing coming in June. NCUC has a policy conference in Singapore that ICANN has given budget for. And what I've told Fadi is we can broaden this out and try to make it more cross-community, and focus in on these issues.

---

And one possibility would be, as I was trying to lay this out for him, we could just do sessions on each of the components. The high net process, the session on, okay, principles... What are the issues around principles? A session on, let's find the right word, evolving globalization, that is to say, code for, US government functions, or something like that. I'm not going to propose a session on, move an IANA contract out there, but I mean, something a little more [?].

But each of the topics, the institutional architecture that he wants, okay. And we can solicit, we can put a website up, right? And then have like position papers, short papers from different parts of the community, as background for each of those sessions. If Bill wants to give us all of his IGP papers on these topics, he can put them there.

If NCUC or NCSG wants to write a paper, if ALAC wants or a working group of ALAC has a little paper, we can load for each of those topic areas, background materials that will then be drawn on in the dialogues. And I think that would be really useful, and that's a month before the Brazil meeting. So that would, I think, help to maybe promote some cross-pollination of ideas within the larger community, and get the people talking amongst ourselves.

So we get in a little bit more unified, coherent viewpoint and so on.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Bill. There is a queue in operation. We've got Avri. And I do apologize Avri, I kind of dropped you off the queue for a while, but you're back.

---

AVRI DORIA: Yeah, no biggie. Thanks. Avri speaking. So I actually don't hear any incompatibility about these ideas. It looks like we've just got the first couple of working items that we've got. I probably have an issue with trying to come up with an omnibus paper, that's the one good paper that does everything.

I tend more towards all of us having small papers that really zero in on one point, because when people talk about this stuff, they're only going to talk about one point. And if they're rifling through an omnibus, they might not find it. But other than that, I think all of this stuff fits together, and, hey, maybe we can publish all of the little papers in the one omnibus. But anyway.

So I think it's a great idea, and it looks like we've got a whole bunch of the stuff already started and slotted, and gee, all we need now is the people that do the work.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Rinalia Abdul Rahim.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you Chair. It's not being recorded so I don't have to say my name again, right?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It is being recorded.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Okay. Rinalia for the transcripts. I like what Bill said. It reflects what I've been thinking about in terms of this Brazil meeting. It reminds me of the world summit on the information society where we had lead up. No, don't make faces, I'm going to say a good thing about it. It was a huge effort, I poured my life's blood into the world summit. And there were lead up events that actually focused the world's attention on specific aspects on what was going to be addressed at the summit itself.

And the challenge is people think we have to address a lot of issues in Brazil. I actually think that it needs to be narrowed down to be manageable and to be actionable afterwards. So what you're suggesting in terms of the policy conference that you're going to be organizing in March was it? It's a bit late.

I think that we need to start the process now, so that when people arrive at the conference, there is already prior work that we can take on. And also, in terms of the principles, in Bali there was a session organized by APC, CGI, and some other entities. I really like that the discussion on principles, and I think that it can be converged with what ISOC has been doing on values.

And I think that there are lots of other initiatives that are trying to address the same issues, but they call it different things. I agree that we need the little papers, but we also need the aggregators who can synthesize and distill it into something that can be beneficial to the larger community. Thank you.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Rinalia. The queue is open for more comments or responses. What I hear, at the moment, is some kind of compendium of papers, with common papers being drafted. I do have to say though that we would not have very much staff support, because our staff is totally flat out. So this would have to be somehow self-organizing, if that's okay. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry. Just a quick thing. At this point, really, all we need are resources, some websites, some mailing lists. We don't necessarily need a lot of person power. We just need a corner of the ALAC wiki or something like that, and I think we can take it from there. I think there is enough people within our group that know the mechanics.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. It's the ALAC and NC wiki as well, it's the same wiki anyways, so we can just ask for just a space of some sort, a cross space, that's right. That's possible staff, isn't it?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, there is a precedent. There has already been cross-community workspaces for things like JAZ and other things, so there is a precedence.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, we'll make it. No worries, we'll make it happen. Rinalia?

---

RIANLIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you Olivier. Rinalia again. Bill, I forgot to mention, the other part that you talk about is, what is the change that we want to see in how the Internet is governed? That's the concrete action that I want to see addressed in Bali, and that's about globalization of the IANA contract.

I wanted to raise this question that I have. I haven't been able to sign up to the One Net movement site. I've tried it several times, but I'm not getting in. I was wondering whether it's just me that it is rejecting or other people?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Lucky you, my mailbox is full. Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, my mic is on, thank you. I've actually received an email, and I'll bring it across for Olivier to read to the record. There is an email saying, "Yes, big whoops, sorry, and is now fixed. And can you pass on the use now fix message?" But I will, in fact, pull it up on my phone and give it to Olivier to read to the record. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. So Bill?

BILL: Just one other reason for doing this thing, and again, it doesn't have to be a big hoity-toity kind of thing. NCUC always does its posse conference with almost no resources, but a website. We list the stuff, we don't have staff. We list this stuff and we have links. We just pop



PDF documents. We farm it out however the hell you want, it doesn't really – it's not a big deal either way.

It might be nice to be pretty whatever, but bear in mind, if you read the Board motion the other day about all of this, that they did post hoc to say, "Oh, yes. Everything Fadi did was done under a mandate from us." That also said, "And there is no public comment on this because it's an administrative activity." So there is nowhere else in the ICANN ecosphere right now where people can actually put something down, put some ideas down.

And I talk to people in business, various business groupings, they've got hot views about these things, one way or the other. We can't all just resort to circle ID. I mean, it would be nice to create a space where people can upload their own papers, and just make it a community space of whatever people want. I think that would be a really good idea.

And then, yes, something that integrates across is necessary. Avri and I have talked to some other people about trying to do something on principles, and I think there will be other initiatives like that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Bill. So do we have an action item? Well, we do have an action item, and I think I'll read it and Robin please feel free to jump in and correct me on this. The staff to create a cross-community on, wiki space that both the ALAC and members of the NCSG can post on to, to collect papers, etc. Bill?

---

BILL: I mean, do you mean ALAC or At Large?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, At Large, sorry.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, Olivier. This is Evan. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. I think right now the first step is the first step. So while I've been doing this, I've been churning out what I'm proposing as an action item to come out of right now. What are the specifics in the deliverables in the ultimate composition?

We're not going to settle that here, right? There is an ongoing discussion to be made.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, Evan. What composition? We're just creating a space.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Right. But also we need to assign a couple of people to own this and move it forward.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Space.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Space. So I'll go back to what I was proposing at the beginning. So, as a specific action item, I'm suggesting a small steering group of three

---

people, each from NC and ALAC, that Olivier and [?] as chairs write a letter to Fadi taking him up on the CCWG challenge of Wednesday morning, getting Fadi to engage this effort, supply it with his own input, and then empower it as an open and independent cross-community working group.

Engage the other ISTAR communities to participate, and as goals and deliverables, to provide input to the expert panels currently convened by the ICANN for this purpose, as well as any other body coordinating the Brazil meeting. So that's in writing, I've just given that to Silvia.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Fadi said that he had sent out a letter, an email, the previous night. I don't know where that went to AC and SO chairs, or included constituencies and stakeholder group chairs. Would one of the recipients of such an email confirm?

ROBIN: I received no such letter.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: A letter of what?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Fadi, prior to this 7:00 meeting, 7:00 AM meeting, Fadi said the previous night he had sent a note to, I thought it was AC and SO chairs, although there were other people sitting on the front. I'll get to that, but I would like an answer to that first.

BRIAN: There was [?] such from David Olive, saying that he would invite – if Fadi is interested in a cross-community group and be prepared to come and talk about that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. But that went to whom?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: SO AC leaders.

ROBIN: Yeah, I did get that, I want to correct that for the record. That one I got.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's the point I'm making. It went to AC SO chairs and chairs of stakeholder groups, constituencies, whatever. Okay, that's what I was trying to identify. As such, I think it would, optics would be better if you can get someone else in the organization to receive that note to also be on this steering committee, not just ALAC and NCSG. If you could orchestrate that quickly.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, I'm speaking here as the... We can have more people, but this is going to be a nimble thing. We're going to start with three, if more people want to join, they'll join. We don't want to go into the whole, huge, BS that is currently going on that is, who is allowed to be on it? Who is not allowed to be on it?

And this sort of thing. I think we've done enough about the creation of this thingy. Let's just make it happen.

ALAN GREENBERG: I suggest you say the initial steering group or something like that. I'm just saying, don't make it look like a fete complete with a closed shop.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Initial, make it so. Thank you. And just a quick note on what we mentioned earlier regarding One Net dot org, there is a message from [?] from AfriNIC, to mention that the One Net dot org page has been simplified. You can subscribe to the list directly. Those people who have given their names in Bali, there was some transcribing errors, there are quite a few bounces that they got back.

So if you did not get anything recently, then go on the One Net dot org website and click on subscribe and type in your details. Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Can I suggest you put that link onto our page so that everybody can find it?

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: One Net dot org, the one, and ET dot org. But it can go on the page.

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm saying, let's not trust our memories, let's just put them up there.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Done. Bill.

BILL: Just a tick of the point. I understand the concern that [?] has said, because there are, in a lot of the other stakeholder groups, a lot of reluctance and even opposition to this. There are a lot of people walking around this meeting saying, "What the hell is Fadi doing?" And so we do have to be a little bit cautious with that, it doesn't have to slow us down.

We just say, "We're getting the ball rolling consistent with what he said. Others are invited to invite – to nominate their three representatives." And we create an open space where everybody in the community can add – I guess we would have to have List Serve, really. But let's not be held up by fears of...

One other thing that I just want to point out, a lot of people have reacted to the document that got sent out by Adele last week, that mapped out the whole institutional organization of how the Brazil meeting would be planned, there was going to be a government group, then there was going to be four committees, right?

---

That wasn't supposed to be circulated. And I talked to the Brazilians, and they were a little annoyed. They said that was based on Fadi's notes, that he took in a meeting with just a couple of them, and that's – none of that architecture has been approved. So, they're having a meeting on Monday, closed meeting, CGI dot BR, to go over this.

And I say this not to give Fadi a hard time, but only to note there is a lot of slip back and forth in this process, and that's why I'm saying, let's not get agitated too much about exactly how all of these things will be organized. Let's just figure out how we're going to make our voices heard. And then the rest will work itself through.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Bill, I think you and I are in full agreement. I also wanted to put something to the record, and I guess that's probably the right time to do so. I was quoted a while ago as saying, I do not read [Milton's] blog anymore. I don't. I just find it a waste of time. Well, I did until yesterday when he came into the public forum and he came with a set of recommendations, I guess, and things which, I think, were extremely impressive.

So I have to say that I'm restarting to read [Milton's] blog now. I told him yesterday, I told him. Avri.

AVRI DORIA: Yeah. I have two points to make. One, yes, Milton is a fine wine that eventually you learn to participate. It's kind of like one of those old aged wines. I'm thinking of this, I've been listening here, and so what we're talking about is occupy One Net.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Wow, that sounds scary, this occupy word. Occupy as in being busy then, make One Net busy?

ROBIN: In a friendly way, because we want to help shape this, we want to help guide this, and that's how we're going to do it, by being there to participate.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: The other thing, it's Olivier speaking. The other thing is with regards to the papers, so we agree to having short papers being drafted. We work collaboratively and I guess you can have several authors to a paper. I would like to hope that we would be able to have papers that are drafted with several members of the community, no matter whether they're NC, whether they are At Large, or whatever.

That we can have things which, papers which show, if you want, in a way, sort of multi-stakeholder nature of the authors, being able to work with each other. There is first the content, but there is also the optics itself, which should be interesting.

BILL: Why not just specifically encourage that on the page you put up? Say that, input papers of the cross-community nature by representatives of different groups are especially welcomed.



---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Perfect. Great. Any thoughts or questions? Yeah, we are kind of out of time, we had something else on the agenda, the pics, but I guess that's kind of on the side, yeah. You can do that as an intercession actually. That would be one thing. We've not really had conference calls between NCSG... Do you like conference calls?

Do you work... Seriously, I was asked this question by, I think it was a Board member recently. So, does the ALAC have conference calls between meetings? Yeah. Yup. So, true, true. Anyway, so yeah, we could have a conference call actually on other issues, and it would be interesting. I'll speak to, [?] and I will probably liaise and see if we can have an inter sessional conference call, or one or two on a topic based.

But I'm sure maybe on this issue it might be worth following up also with a couple of calls or just ad hoc. Let's not schedule them right now, but we do have very little time between now and then. So Bill?

BILL: I was just, in the tradition of linguistic diversity, shouldn't you and [?] liaison?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Liaise not liaison. Not too happy to have a liaison with [?], thank you.

BILL: Well, you never know. We want to promote cross-community fertilization.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: As nice as he is as a person, it's not in this way.

BILL: It could be a dangerous liaison. Are you going to do, I just want to... Actually, what I really want to ask you, do you anticipate doing something with ATLAS about this? Because then we can have a continuum of activity. If we have a policy meeting before the Brazil meeting and then a couple of months later, you've got an ATLAS session that takes stock of what happened, and also take stock of the cross-community effort around it, I think that would be really good.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you Bill. It's Olivier speaking. So the At Large summit will take place in June 2014, so that will be after the Brazil thing. But yes, more realistically, our own ALSs are building the agenda, so we don't have a set agenda at all. But it is expected that some of the, I'll come to you in a second Holly.

That some of the activities will involve discussions or work specifically in this area, since it probably will still be the elephant in the room at that time. So we will encourage our ALSs to do this. In addition to this, the summit might bring our 160 or so ALSs to London, but we are also hoping to make this not only for At Large but for the whole community.

And one of the suggestions which has been made is to invite constituents from other SOs and ACs and SGs to come and speak to the At Large structures that are there about subjects which are as varied as the new gTLD program, but also other matters which I guess now will include some aspects of Internet governance.

---

But the program is not set. The agenda is not set. These are working groups that are currently, they just started work basically. We have conducted a survey of our At Large structures to find out what the At Large structures are interested in. And so we've got a fair bit of input.

And the next couple of weeks will come a bit more in focus, a bit more on what subjects will be addressed. Holly first and then Evan and then Avri as well.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Just a suggestion, but one thing we have done, ALAC did and At Large team, a couple of meetings ago, we had multi-stakeholder forum where we just had like four hours on a Monday with two topics, and got a range of speakers from the different groups, and it wound up being a very successful event because you had participation across the way.

We actually said, could we hold that again, and then have, as the topic, the multi-stakeholder structure or whatever, and then have different people – open to everybody. It winds up being, you know, a really good forum within ICANN. We could do that again, might be a way of just grazing the issue.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you Holly. Yes, I see movement of the head which indicates approval around the table. We have Avri next.

---

AVRI DORIA: Just a quick remark, speaking of elephants. I wanted to let you know that the NCSG feels very strongly about elephants, and I've just sent you all our page on elephants.

ROBIN: We have adopted an elephant [?], the Nairobi meeting. When we went there, is we went on safari, we adopted one of the orphan elephants...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. We have a dead elephant in the room... Okay. Ladies and gentlemen, please, before we close off. There is a lot of speaking of elephants. I've heard of purple elephants as well. Yeah. No, no, no. There was another story that happened in Bali. Anyway, so I think we've got a set of action items for this, which is a good way forward. Rinalia, did you want to say something or no?

So, sorry, we still have Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I asked to put my little blurb up on the screen for everyone, just to be okay with. Matt, did Silvia send it to you. Sorry. It was just my thought, before we leave here just to agree on something, and then... Okay. As Alan was saying, it's an initial thing, but you've got to start with something. Right?

So we call it an initial steering group that can be changed or added later, but we're starting with something here, that was the point.

---

ROBIN: No, I absolutely support that. So I think we've got agreement on our side.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'll try and ask staff to put it up on the screen so everyone is really clear. It's kind of short, but I want to make sure everyone is clear with it, so we can agree with it as an action item before you leave. Or I can read it again. [CROSSTALK] It's not that long... It's not that long, it's four points.

Creating an initial steering group starting with three people each from NCSG and ALAC. Olivier and [?] as chairs write a letter to Fadi ASAP taking him up on his CCWG challenge of Wednesday morning. Getting Fadi to engage this effort, supply with his own input, and then empower it as an open CCWG. Engage ICANN and other ISTAR communities to build broad active participation.

And finally, as a goal in deliverables, to provide input to the expert panels currently convened by ICANN, as well as any other body coordinating the Brazil meeting.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Bill?

BILL: We just do over all of this? We're going to provide, I didn't understand that part. We're going to provide input to the expert panel, these [far] expert panels as well to the Brazil process?

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: The idea being, we'll provide input to anybody who will listen to us regarding prep for Brazil.

BILL: Okay, because not all those expert panels are Brazilian focused.

ROBIN: Could we get the text then sent to us so we can also send it out to our members?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I'll work with staff, you'll have that as soon as we get our act together.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I believe that, it's Olivier speaking. I believe that the action items get – are given to names and then system automatically sends your action item and things, so I guess you're all Confluence so that's fine. I'm afraid we have to finish this meeting. There is another meeting that's now, there is probably a forum on one side and we also have another meeting after this, which is now more than 20 minutes late.

But thank you. It's been very productive.

ROBIN: Thank you, thank you.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I'm very glad to see that we're moving things forward on this. There was some concern from, certainly from Fadi, that the SO and AC chairs, regarding civil society due to the feedback that he had received in Bali. There is somehow hostile feedback that many members of the civil society had provided.

I'm glad to see that at least the part of civil society that is part of ICANN, which the ALAC – or the At Large to some extent, but certainly the NCUC fully and so parts of the NCSG, representatives now have got a clearer picture of what we want to do. And I'm glad to see that there is support.

We need to stick together on this one. And I know there is also going to be a lot of people that will fight for positions for this, for that, and whatever, but this is what happens on those mailing lists that you see out there. And then when it comes down to do the work, a bit like what Mike O'Connor was saying, you know, you've got 100 people to approve the work, you've only got 20 to do the darn thing.

And I think we're just going to be, well... Yeah, he's being very kind apparently. I saw that yesterday. So we need to just get going, and let's just do the work. And I guess that people will gravitate over to the work that we do when we start doing it. So thank you. Thank you very much Robin.

ROBIN: And thank you Olivier. We need to go to the public forum.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: The meeting is now closed. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]