

---

HYDERABAD – GNSO Joint Meeting Registrar & Registry Stakeholder Groups  
Sunday, November 06, 2016 – 08:30 to 10:30 IST  
ICANN57 | Hyderabad, India

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: ICANN57, Hyderabad, November 6, 2016. Hall 2. 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. RySG.

PAUL DIAZ: Okay folks we'll get started in a minute. Okay folks let's get underway. Where are our technicians? Are we good with the recording? Thank you.

Alright, everybody welcome. Thank you for showing up early. This is Paul Diaz, Chair of the Registry Stakeholder Group. It's our face-to-face meeting on 6 November.

Welcome to those who've dialed in. I think we're expecting some folks online, and thank you for the extra effort of those people. Time zones are pretty rough.

We have our agenda posted up on the screen. They've been pushed out in an email as well. We will have about a half hour or so before Registrar colleagues join us, and we'll have our joint session and then we're going to go to the Board session.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

For this ICANN meeting, we're having our face-to-face with the Board a lot earlier in the day than we have in the past. After this session, Registries will go back to Hall Number 6, not this room. Hall Number 6 please.

We will have a working lunch. Lunch will be made available to everybody, and we'll take as much time in the afternoon as we need to get through our calendar or our agenda.

We will take a break in the middle of the afternoon. Some colleagues are going to go to the High Interest session on the Public Interest – ICANN and the Public Interest. That'll come right around the break point, and then we will wrap up no later than 5:00. Quite a few of us want to attend the session on Content Monitoring, and if we don't need all the time, we'll break sooner than that.

Let me ask anybody with what we have up on the agenda, does anybody want to add additional issues? Certainly, we can as the day goes on. Please signal to me or any of my fellow ExComers. We'll add it to the list.

I forget what the days are now but wanted to provide the group a brief update. The ExCom met with GDD staff and Akram as well on Thursday now. This was at the initiative of Staff. Since we weren't going to meet face-to-face here given the way our day is

---

structured, we didn't really have that block of time that we traditionally do to go over stuff.

Cyrus and his team wanted to get together with us – talked about a couple of open ongoing issues: the Spec 11 3b Advisory, the Security Framework, the RDAP profile. Checking my notes. Okay, RSEP process and backend certification.

I won't go into – we didn't go into much detail. It was agreed that since a lot of members who are sort of our experts and they've been driving the discussions weren't in the room, we didn't want to get into any great detail with Staff.

But the high level takeaway is that the message that Staff's been delivering beginning with Göran and filtering all the way through is a new spirit of collaboration.

They want to engage earlier and more with us. These issues, the Spec 11 3b Advisory for example, you know, we provided the red-line. Kudos to those who did it. Staff quite honestly was taken aback. They thought that we were further along in the process, and the amount of edits in the red-line surprised them.

They will be reaching out and setting up a call with the principle authors of the red-line shortly after we get back from Hyderabad, and they're hoping that we can move the process forward.

---

Similarly with the Security Framework, progress is made. Staff wants to remain fully engaged and make sure that we can reach an agreeable solution. The hope is let's avail ourselves of this newfound spirit of cooperation. It's certainly an opportunity for us.

That said, there are issues that we feel strongly about and that can't be pushed aside/brushed aside.

To that point thinking specifically about the RDAP and we have a comment period open right now. Stephanie's circulated an initial draft of comments on that. We collectively need to take a close look, make sure we're comfortable with what's being said. The comment period runs through mid-December so we have some time. But with travel, the holidays in North America coming up and whatnot, that deadline will be upon us fairly quickly – an important opportunity for us to weigh in to make our concerns very clear.

As Registrars join us later, there's interest in collaborating on comments as well because they certainly share some of the same concerns we have about the RDAP profile.

One thing that came up that Staff brought up - and that quite honestly I had a different perspective but important for the Stakeholder Group – back at our Summit in Amsterdam in May many of us expressed frustrations with the RSEP process: how

---

it's been carried out, how long it takes to get resolution, all the rest.

Staff came away from those conversations with a sense that we were going to create sort of an ad hoc group and would be offering constructive criticisms and proposals for moving forward. That was news to me, so this is something that they are very interested in working with us and we will put out a call for volunteers. Those who spoke and made some really important points back in Amsterdam – very, very much would like to see you be a part of this.

It's not going to be a heavy lift because remember the RSEP was develop its consensus policy so there are limits in changes we could make. But if Staff's willing to consider some of our concerns and build that in as part of their implementation, there's our opportunity.

So look shortly after this meeting for a call for volunteers, and we'll take Staff up on their offer to dive into the RSEP process and see where we can make some mutually agreeable changes to the process.

For my other ExCom colleagues, I know I'm probably missing things, in particular, sense of the tone of the discussion, etc. Anybody want to add/share any additional thoughts or perspectives? Think that covered it? Okay.

---

CHERIE STUBBS: Paul, excuse me, this is Cherie.

PAUL DIAZ: Yes, Cherie.

CHERIE STUBBS: Hi. Just if we could just back up a brief moment just to officially welcome everybody. I'm Cherie Stubbs. I'm the Registry Secretariat, and Sue Schuler is the Registry's Data Management Assistant. I just wanted to remind everybody we do have remote participants, some of whom will be dialing in. So when you do speak, just a reminder to please announce your name for the benefit of those on remote participation.

We currently have Ken Stubbs on dial in. Terri, do we have anyone else on the phone? No, that's currently it. We're expecting about a half a dozen people throughout the day. There's coffee and some light fare for those in the room so just — if everybody wouldn't get up at once — but you can meander over so thanks Paul. Sorry.

---

PAUL DIAZ: No problem. Thank you Cherie. Let me also note for the record, welcome some new members to the Stakeholder Group. AC Webconnecting and Matrix IP joined over the summer.

Let me also note, I saw Sebastien earlier, the GeoTLD Group is transitioning from an interest group to an association member. They submitted their application. There were a couple outstanding questions — minor stuff but that will all come together very, very shortly, maybe even before we leave. So welcome again and congrats to GeoTLD Group.

In the interest of time we – Jian go ahead.

JIAN ZHANG: Jian Zhang, **[inaudible]**. I just wonder if we have time. Maybe someone can provide update on the establishing of PTI and whether any impact on the Registry operator.

PAUL DIAZ: I'm sorry. The status of what Jian?

JIAN JZHANG: Establishing a PTI.

---

PAUL DIAZ: PTI in the context of how we've structured ourselves?

JIAN ZHANG: Just after transition whether the establishing of a PTI will have any impact on the Registry operations.

PAUL DIAZ: Good question. As far as what it appears to me, no is the short answer. Please remember that we did go through a process of creating a new corporation for the Registry Stakeholder Group. We did it purely for the financial reasons to facilitate the processes for people paying their dues because many members couldn't just write a check to individuals on behalf of the Stakeholder Group.

That was our own initiative though. It wasn't driven by the PTI. We have contributed members to a Customer Standing Committee, RZERC and other entities were a direct outgrowth of the PTI process. But beyond that, the Stakeholder Group operations continue as we always have. Interesting question. Keith?

KEITH DRAZEK: Thank you, Paul. There is one topic that we'll probably talk about more related to the GNSO Council updates related to



---

developments following from the transition. And specifically that relates to how the GNSO as a community and as a body engages in the Empowered Community. One of the questions on the table is whether the GNSO Council is the group to engage in the decision-making process and whether the GNSO Council chair is the representative to the Empowered Community as part of that group or whether it should be something else.

There's discussion and debate at the Council level. Some of the other Stakeholder Groups and constituencies in the GNSO would prefer it not be the Council, which is really focused on policy development today. There are others that think why build some new structure when the GNSO Council effectively represents the views of the broader GNSO community?

That is a topic of discussion and debate currently at the Council, and there's a motion that we'll talk about a little bit more later. But that is the one other, I think, open aspect where we the Councilors will need your input. Thanks.

PAUL DIAZ:

Thank you, Keith. Yes, let's explore that later when we're talking about the Bylaws PDP. Okay, other questions? Just one quick admin thing. Everybody, we put the brochure in spaces in front of us. I'm sorry, who's got their computer on? I'm hearing horrible feedback.

---

CHERIE STUBBS: It was me.

PAUL DIAZ: Okay.

CHERIE STUBBS: I lost connection.

PAUL DIAZ: That's fine. The brochure is not necessarily for the folks in the room or most of us. This is part of the Secretariat's ongoing Outreach Initiative and this is basic introductory information but very professional, very slick. It's part of the welcome kit and also the document that we use for the 101 course that we ran in Helsinki and that we're planning to run again in Copenhagen.

So for everybody – any constructive criticisms, how we can make this a little more engaging or perhaps more informative, talk to Cherie and I, but just so you all understand what that was for.

SUE SCHULER: Yes. This is Sue Schuler. We do have some additional brochures here also. This is for you to take and hand out to somebody that might be interested – when you're talking to them in the hall or

---

talking to them in the bar or something that might need some additional information, so take some extras if you need them.

PAUL DIAZ: Rubens?

RUBENS KUHL: Do we know how many Registries are currently not Stakeholder Group members that we could reach out to?

PAUL DIAZ: Want to take a shot at it Cherie? The data you were provided?

CHERIE STUBBS: And I apologize. Rubens, can you just quickly repeat the question? This is Cherie.

RUBENS KUHL: How many of the currently signed up Registries are not Stakeholder Group members. These are the ones that we could reach out to so they could become members?

CHERIE STUBBS: We're kind of looking at TLDs. We have probably, of the full complement of TLDs, we have what? About 500 represented

---

through the Registry Stakeholder Group. So we are looking at ways to look at outreach for those TLDs that are not currently active, involved, or engaged in the Stakeholder Group. I added a meeting with Valerie Heng. I'm going to be working with GDD staff to work on targeting outreach, education, resources. Does that answer your question Rubens?

JON NEVETT: It's 592. We pulled it for the vote.

CHERIE STUBBS: Thank you, Jon.

JON NEVETT: We just pulled it for the vote for the Registry Agreement, so there are 592 that are represented by the Stakeholder Group and about the same amount. It's about 1200 – are not members.

CHERIE STUBBS: Thanks, Jon.

PAUL DIAZ: Yes, thank you, Jon. Obviously, it's a big opportunity there, and we came up with that number 592 through the good offices of Berry Cobb, not Staff. And so as part of this push to be more

---

collaborative and whatnot, we would hope that Staff will be more engaged with us in helping with the outreach because we don't have the points of contact for all the nonmembers. We would need Staff's assistance with that, and we'll be looking to get such assistance post-Hyderabad.

Alright. Still have about ten. It's not enough time to really dig into any of our other issues – pull things forward from later in the day. Registrars have already started entering the room. Welcome, everyone. But we can't start without their Chair. Are there any issues or any questions people have, things that ExCom or Councilors, etc., things you've heard or seen, need some clarifications? Take advantage of the minutes we have. How about maybe in the interest of updates any other things that we'll update later on if they're short?

REG LEVY: Treasurer's update.

PAUL DIAZ: Treasurer's update. Thank you, Reg.

REG LEVY: This is Reg Levy from Minds + Machines. The brief Treasurer's update is that we are on track. We're under budget or we're on

---

budget, and thanks to the transition to the new bank, we are actually collecting dues from members again.

There was an issue early on with the new gTLD program with the fact that we didn't have a real federal tax ID. So we've incorporated. We now have that and now the only issue is our SWIFT bank account. So if you guys are having issues with sending us SWIFT-based financial transactions, then send me an email. I'm reg@mmx.co or you can send it to Cherie or Sue, and we can help you get us money.

And to that end, there are a number of people who are behind on their dues. I'm not going to call anyone out today, but we are going through that and you're going to get collection letters starting to be sent out when we get back from Hyderabad. So if you know that you're late and want to fix that before you get the fun letters, please do so.

PAUL DIAZ:

Thank you Reg and we find each year even though we ask folks to update the points of contact, there are still cases where perhaps folks in this room who follow ICANN for their organizations regularly are not necessarily the key point of contact that were entered into the database we have, so if in doubt about your status please reach out. Let's sort this out.

---

REG LEVY: Thank you for reminding me, too. When you do send payment, please make sure that you reference either your company or your invoice number, because as much as we love unsolicited cash, if we can't track it then you're still going to get the letter.

PAUL DIAZ: Sue, go ahead.

SUE SCHULER: Yes, this is Sue Schuler. I also would like to speak to the fact that there were a few companies that did not pay attention to the fact that we had changed banks this year, and they actually sent their money to the old bank account. That account is now closed so if you could please go back to your accounting departments and make sure that they put the new banking information into their system so that next year that doesn't happen because it will definitely bounce back to you.

PAUL DIAZ: Yes and we still have time in the cycle. Remember, with the changes we made, our fiscal year ties to the ICANN so it's July 1 through June 30. But we really want to have everything in order no later than the end of this calendar year — the first six months

---

of our fiscal year — so that we can plan and project and do everything that we need to do.

The flipside of that is if you are not in good standing by the end of the year, you'll be suspended. And each year we have a cluster of folks who go right down to the deadline, so please work with us. We'll work with you. Let's get through this. Rubens? No? Sorry. Okay, Jon?

JON NEVETT:

Well, just checking. With respect to our session with the ICANN Board, are we intending to have any more preparation on that or have we done the preparation online that we intend to do?

PAUL DIAZ:

I think that's what's coming. We're just waiting for Graeme and the Registrars. Just taking advantage of some things with the free time we have. Because it dovetails then from the finances, let's touch on the next item on that agenda, which is the Evolution 4 or proposed Evolution 4 Working Group.

We've discussed this kind of superficially on previous biweekly calls. A call for volunteers will go out. This is not a heavy lift, the changing of our charter, like previous evolution groups have done. But this one's probably of somewhat greater interest only because the intention here is to look at our current financial



---

situation, to review the tiers structure that we have for members and also they would consider some potential changes to financial framework. Also to address the question of, do we want to consider proxy voting as an option? An Evolution 4 Workgroup will be convened and we'll call for volunteers again after Hyderabad. We'd like to have a call or two before the end of the year.

Sort of a financial update will be provided to the team to help guide the deliberations. The goal is that recommendations can be made, can be considered by the ExCom and ultimately will be voted upon by the membership; all of that before next year's budget approval process is decided, which basically means before the end of June. So we'll have the six months of the new year. We'd like to frontload it with recommendations, if any, about the financial framework for the Stakeholder Group now.

And there are a lot of factors to consider. When you cut fees, it means certain things. If you leave fees in place, how do you most efficiently use all those resources? It's those kinds of things that will be the focus of Evo 4, so look for the call for volunteers. We'll get that out shortly after Hyderabad and start discussing our options. Alright. I can't completely turn around, but is Graeme in the room?

---

CHERIE STUBBS: For those coming into the room, we're having more chairs brought in so be patient. Thank you.

CHUCK GOMES: Paul, this is Chuck. There are a few seats at the table that maybe some of the Registrars want to join.

CHERIE STUBBS: Yes, we're holding seats for Graeme and the ExCom and then — thanks, Chuck.

PAUL DIAZ: Alright. All you colleagues who are online just...

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**