

HYDERABAD – At-Large Leadership Working Session Wrap-up Session Part 1

Monday, November 07, 2016 – 08:30 to 09:30 IST

ICANN57 | Hyderabad, India

ALAN GREENBERG: This meeting will convene as soon as the first speaker is sitting at the table. That's a good place for our first speaker to sit.

Welcome to the first At-Large Leadership Wrap-up Session Part 1 of 3. For those of you who are counting, two more days for some people, three for some of us. The first part of this session is approval of the ATLAS II Recommendation Implementation Report. This was discussed the other day. People were given, I believe, a 24-hour window to comment. I presume anyone who wanted to comment has commented, and that, presumably, has been integrated into the report.

Olivier, I'll turn it over to you to either confirm what I just said or tell us what the real world was like.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. So I think we can go through the whole document with all of the recommendations, one by one. And in two hours, we can present it to the Board.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

ALAN GREENBERG: You have up to ten minutes of which you've used one of them already. You can do whatever you want with the next nine.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. So first I'd like to thank everyone for having commented on the document in the past 24 to well, 48 hours or so. Ariel has taken all of your input. We have made several — they're not significant changes. They're small changes and things — some places where we had to sort of slightly amend things.

For example, when it came down to the process — I think it was, was it Recommendation #7 or 13? Can we scroll to one of them, please? Either one is fine.

Number 7 – A periodic review of ICANN's Multistakeholder Model should be performed to ensure that the processes and the composition of ICANN's constituent parts adequately address the relevant decision-making requirements in the Corporation.

We had put in there that we were not going to ask the Board about this on this occasion but, in fact, the ALAC has decided to have a statement and to mention this to the Board so we just

---

have to change the next steps. That's why, on these two Recommendations, there was an amendment.

Other amendments were very insignificant – just little, a few things here and there. What we'll do – next steps are to present it to the Board, when we meet with the Board. I understand that there's very little time to do that due to a very packed agenda. If you're listening, Alan, I think maybe the best way would be just to – I'll be giving a very brief introduction to it.

Then we need this photo opportunity to be able to – when we pass it over – so I would suggest then that I would maybe come over to you. You stand up. Steve stands up. I give you the report, you turn over to Steve, shake his hand, and give the report. And, hopefully, somebody will be there at the time to take a picture. It's important. It's two years' worth of work, so it's really important to do that. I don't expect this to take any more than two minutes.

ALAN GREENBERG:

To the extent you can put any metrics on how much time has been spent since ATLAS working on this, if it's an impressive number, use it.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. I'm not sure how quickly we can do this. We might think of ballpark figures. We would have to add a percentage of all the different working groups that have worked on that, plus the ATLAS II Implementation Taskforce Working Group. I see Ariel Liang —

ALAN GREENBERG: Untold dozens or hundreds, if applicable.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Dozens of hours?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, hundreds,

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thousands probably. Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: My question is, are you going to present the graphic that shows the projected ATLAS III timeline?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Ariel. I'll leave that to the hands of our Chair. Do we have time to have that one slide? The idea was to basically show that we have a cycle of At-Large Summits and General Assemblies. The At-Large Summits are the places where

---

we yield new statements and this really is used for At-Large improvements as well.

There is a cycle of bylaw mandated reviews that works intertwined with this. So if we have every five years of review, every five years in ATLAS, we actually have a review and an opportunity to improve our procedures every two and a half years.

ALAN GREENBERG:

To the extent you want to use that and also thank them and ICANN Financial staff for approving the cycle, yes. But let's keep it moderately short. We don't know how the time is going to play out. If we have a few minutes in this meeting, we're going to talk about the Board meeting because we didn't actually assign speakers. And since yesterday we've had a whole bunch of new questions added. So we want to spend a little bit of time here, but if you can do it in 30 seconds, one minute, certainly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you, Alan. So I guess Staff will be adding this slide to the slide deck. Ariel Liang?

---

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Olivier. Another question is, do you want to switch between the slide and the document because we send both documents to the Board support and then they can pull it up for us. And if you want to quickly just show the structure, we could do that.

ALAN GREENBERG: No.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you, Ariel. I believe that answer is negative. Okay, thanks.

Mr. Chairman, I think that maybe now, with all the input that we have received and with no further input in the past few hours, it might be time to ask the ALAC for approval.

ALAN GREENBERG: What is the attendance for ALAC members here now?

ARIEL LIANG: I count 9 out of 15 ALAC members in this room.

ALAN GREENBERG: And are all regions represented?

ARIEL LIANG: All regions are represented.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Then we sufficient quorum to actually make a decision. We'll do this by consensus. Is there anyone in the room who wishes to abstain and explicitly be excluded from the count on approval of the ATLAS II Implementation Report?

I see no hands. Is there anyone who wants to express their dissatisfaction with it and not present it?

We have consensus. Thank you very much.

[Applause]

Olivier, you have put more time into this than I thought anyone could possibly do to push this through, despite a whole bunch of impediments. Thank you very much.

[Applause]

That was now officially the last duty you have as ALAC Chair. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Can I have more?

ALAN GREENBERG: You can take your tie off now.

The next two items on the agenda are the report from Liaisons and RALO Chairs. However, I would like to take just a few minutes and look at what we're going to be doing in the Board meeting. And one of the things we didn't do the other day is actually identify who's going to speak, or who's going to be the initial speaker, for any of the subjects.

And we do have a whole bunch of new questions. Could we have the questions up there? Thank you.

Of the first questions from the Board, we essentially decided that what was really meant by transition is accountability since, as far as I know, IANA Transition is working for me. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

The discussion we had essentially folded that into the second question of now that we have all of this accountability, how do



---

we make sure it really produces a level of trust? We have lots of processes. We have huge processes.

Now, how do we make sure we have trust both within the Community and outside of the Community? A synopsis of what we said is they have to believe it. They have to live it not just follow the instructions.

Who would like to take the lead on that? Would anyone like to take the lead on that? I'm happy to spend the whole hour with no one else speaking but me, but that's typically frowned upon. Anyone? Vanda?

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Yeah. Just to share with you that yesterday, I [had] a point in the Board meeting with the former Board members and about how to get more confidence and trust and talk about communications problems from the ICANN to the whole community, especially under several regions in the world. It was interesting to see Gordon very interested in that position, so we discussed a little bit about what could be that. And he said that they are going to share some ideas about that.

I believe that we could raise in that how to get more trustful representation for ICANN around the world into the lack of

---

communication of ICANN to the Communities, to the Base, to the end-users. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Vanda. We're squeezing this in, so anytime we're taking right now is coming out of Liaison Reports and RALO Reports. So let's not revisit what it is we're going to say. I was looking for a speaker. Holly and Sebastien, I see —

HOLLY RAICHE: Question three. I think it's very appropriate that I should actually respond to that. That's about accountability and our answer is in relation to reviews, so be happy to talk about that.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sorry.

HOLLY RAICHE: If I'm — I am looking at — I am looking at your email of, probably, today and I'm happy to actually look at this and respond and deal.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Just to be clear. We're talking about what do we, the Board, ICANN Organization, and the Community need to do to advance trust and confidence in what we do.

HOLLY RAICHE: Not that one. Another one.

ALAN GREENBERG: I know, but that's the one we are asking about.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, fine.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sebastien, go ahead.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I just want to be sure that we really accept that we — the name of the organization, ICANN – will **[inaudible]** by staff.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm quite happy if you either want me to reiterate that position or whoever speaks to reiterate that position.

Seeing no hands, you want me to take the lead on that question.  
León?

LEÓN SÁNCHEZ:

Thank you, Alan. I think that to enhance a trust, the Board just has to act abiding to the bylaws. I mean, they have to actually act as the bylaws state that they should act. I think that transparency would add a lot to trust, right? So it's a good thing to see, for example, the GAC having their sessions open. It's something that hadn't happened before. I think the first time was in Marrakech when they actually opened their session for the drafting of their communique, and I think that was a landmark.

I think that was something quite important and I think that, in that sense, the Board could follow their steps and have more open sessions. I mean, I am aware that there are some sessions that need to be closed because there are some topics to be discussed that are actually worth having closed doors. I think that everyone understands that, but having their meetings to be more transparent, their minutes to be more accessible.

I mean, I know that they already do a lot of this, but there's still so much to do. We've been speaking about, maybe, open contracting and some best practices that I think need to be carried out. Also, given the importance of Work Stream 2, that it's deserved. I think that would also enhance the trust on the Board.

As far the At-Large or the ALAC concerns, I think we should do the same. I mean, we already are quite open. We act as the bylaws state we should act, but I think we still need to do – and I'm aware that we are in the process of doing it continuously. But we still need to reach out to more users, to more Communities, to more countries to enhance our diversity, to continue with the capacity-building that has been happening in the last years, which...

I think it's amazing the job that capacity-building team has been doing. But should we double our efforts and have more people contributing to that program of capacity-building all around the different regions to continue to produce content in different languages because I think –

ALAN GREENBERG: León, could your try to end?

LEÓN SÁNCHEZ: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: We really have to go on.

---

LEÓN SÁNCHEZ: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: You can finish the sentence.

LEÓN SÁNCHEZ: That's okay. I get it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. You started off by saying they have to follow the bylaws. What we said last time in our initial discussion and what was supposed to be the only discussion on this was, it's not just about following the bylaws. It's following the intent. There's a big difference between the two.

Okay. I have Cheryl's hand up. This was not supposed to be a revisiting of the topic, but looking for a speaker. Thank you, Cheryl. You're on.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Mr. Chairman, I understand that, absolutely. And that was why I put my hand up. I would suggest to the ALAC that they consider – providing he could promise to expedite the response and narrow down the second part of it radically and take up what

---

you have just said there about the intent – that as one of the Co-Chairs of both the effect of trying to get accountability and trust into all of this – and the continuing Co-Chair of the Work Stream 2 – León would be an ideal person to respond, providing he writes his speech very efficiently between now and then. So I was just going to suggest that León put himself forward to do that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Does León accept?

LEÓN SÁNCHEZ: I will do that in a concise manner.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. By the way, the question does say not only what does the Board need to do, but what do we all need to do. And so we got to do it, too. And please put that in your concise answer.

All right. On the first item on comments from us was not really a question to the Board, although we can phrase it in a question. But, essentially, a statement saying, “At this point we are reiterating that we believe there should be no rounds, no subsequent issue of TLDs” – the round is not quite the right word

---

— “until we have locked in what the results are from the last one and any further ones.”

We may well get some comments from the Board saying, “Well, what about if we release certain kinds of TLDs?” And I think our answer is until we see that, indeed, we understand the issues. The issue is not do we release a TLD. The issue is do we have some predictability in the results of doing that. And we, of course, will be completely flexible as we go forward, once we see some real evidence.

We have Olivier already, we’ve established. There were several questions that were put on the table by Rinalia yesterday. My normal inclination to say questions raised the afternoon before the Board meeting when they hadn’t been socialized should be rejected out of hand.

But the agenda is not that tight and I think the three questions really have some merit. I think it will give us an opportunity to say some interesting things.

The first one was — and this is if we have time, but I’m assuming we will. There’s an At-Large review. What significant outcomes came out of the previous one and what have we learned?



---

I suggested in an e-mail, when I answered Rinalia's initial message, what some possible answers are. And if anyone has it quickly, then let me know. Otherwise, I will try and pull it up.

Certainly, the first one was we have a Director on the Board. That's a substantial change. The Review recommended two, we ended up with one. Better than zero, from many of our perspectives.

My computer refuses to — okay, here it is. So that was one of the ones I suggested. The other one is individual members which NARALO had but no one else had. We now have individual members in APRALO, in EURALO, each in their own format. I believe the other two RALOs are considering it and it is still an outstanding item. But I believe, without that recommendation, we would have seen no headway at all. So that's a significant one.

The ICANN Academy surprised me. I had forgotten that was a recommendation, was one. And – lessons learned – if any of you had gone back to look at that Implementation Report, there were hundreds of items on it. Keep recommendations at a high level, please.

---

These are not dogmatically the only answers. I'd like to get some volunteers for who would like to speak to these, and Cheryl is pointing to someone at that side but I don't know to whom.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That is the one, I believe, Holly volunteered for. Did she not?

ALAN GREENBERG: It could well be.

HOLLY RAICHE: You have a very good memory. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: You're doing the whole one, or all of those, or are you going to toss out one and we'll have other speakers?

HOLLY RAICHE: I thought I would just focus on the questions that relate to the At-Large Review when that's in the answer.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Thank you. Olivier?

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. Did you say that only two regions had individual members? I was under the impression that a third region was going to say —

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I said three.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Three. Okay. I didn't hear correctly.

ALAN GREENBERG: I said NARALO, APRALO — which I have now been corrected from my answer in the public forum – and EURALO.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. I already said, several times, that AFRALO had already discussed this issue and accepted the principle of having individual members, but without decision-making power.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: But last time I heard, you had not actually put rules in place and started advertising for members.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, because we didn't finish the review. We have other things we are discussing now, and when we finish I do think will be implemented together.

ALAN GREENBERG: So it is in progress? Good.

All right. If anyone else wants to speak, in addition to Holly, on any of these issues or wants to add any other items, that would be fine. Yes, John. Go ahead.

JOHN LAPRISE: Didn't Rinalia mention something about some of the new Board members inquiring about the cost of ALAC? If that question should arise, I'd stand up for that one.

ALAN GREENBERG: I do not think it will arise.

---

JOHN LAPRISE: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: She was alerting to us that the kinds of things new, uninformed Board members had raised.

JOHN LAPRISE: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't believe that will be a formal question. If it does, you're welcome to answer.

All right. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. If we get to the, "What accountability mechanisms exist in At-Large," that is one, obviously, that as an author of the various Rules and Procedures, you should probably take. But I am more than happy as a co-author of all of that to come in in whatever detailed support at the time.

ALAN GREENBERG: If the group agrees, I'm happy to do that. We have agreement. We've handled question number two now.

---

Question number three. “What help do you need to enhance the effective management and participation of end-users At-Large?” In other words, “What help do we need from the Board – or the Staff,” I suppose.

The only one I listed is based on both our work that we’ll be doing later this morning and what we are expecting out of the Consultant’s Report. There may well be needs for additional staff. I didn’t say money because — we’ve decided we’re never going to ask for money in an open board meeting, but probably there’ll be money related to this also.

If anyone else would like to add anything, you don’t have to announce what it is now. But if you’d like to speak, be prepared at that point. We have Sebastien and Cheryl. I’m not sure about the order. Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: It was to answer your question. I am willing to say something.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Cheryl?

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I was just going to suggest that, seeing as this has a great deal to do with the effectiveness of both capacity-building and the special funding, and Tijani is the Lead – if not the major part of managing all of that – he should certainly be given some speaking on this as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then when I ask, “Would anyone like to speak on it?” we have Sebastien and Tijani who will likely put up their hands. And we’re not trying to orchestrate what you say, just trying to make sure we have someone speaking. Thank you.

Back to the original agenda. Sorry, we have hands up. Go ahead, Vanda and then Harold.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you. I just want to add in question three, you’re mentioning, Alan, the issue of focusing or telling the Board, actually, to pay special attention to all the processes to spread knowledge for ICANN and all the learning processes. So this would actually be a perspective to raise before them.

ALAN GREENBERG: It’s my unit that decided to turn off at that point. I’m presuming translation is still working. Go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS:

No problem. In the third question, when you ask about which other aspects we can mention here, maybe we could ask the Board to pay special attention because they have asked us about which aspects can make participation of end-users in ATLAS more effective. And participation is associated directly to the awareness [inaudible] we may have on At-Large and ALAC. Maybe they should provide more support and attention to all the processes and initiatives within At-Large in terms of spreading our knowledge on ICANN.

The idea is to show them these specific actions that are happening and will require not only their attention, but it will require resources for good outreach because if this is not known — if they do not know all the trust difficulties we are having, if they do not know what is happening and what are the ways to participate – probably trust is more difficult to build trust. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. You're free to put your hand up for a short response, but you're going to have to be, I think, more specific than just "do more". They're looking for guidance as to exactly what they should do or shouldn't do to help us. So simply saying "pay



---

more attention” or “give us more something”, I don’t think is going to be sufficient. If you can come up with something that’s a little bit more targeted, you’re free to answer.

Of course, everyone’s free to answer. I’m not going to stop anyone from talking if we have enough time.

Any further comments? Then I close this part of the session and we now go on to Liaisons Reports. We sadly do not have very much time left. We have 25 minutes and we had allocated 45 minutes for Reports at this point, so I ask people to be short. We can, of course, run into the break.

Laisions.

JULIE HAMMER:

Thanks, Alan. Julie Hammer, SSAC Liaison. The only issue that I’d like to bring to your attention is SAC84, which was briefed in our session with the SSAC. Since that time, the ccNSO has had a meeting with SSAC Leadership and expressed some very strong concerns with the SSAC comments and have provided us with their response to our report ,which is not a public document and I’m not a liberty to share with you.

---

But what I have shared on the list to the At-Large Leadership and Staff is SSAC's reply to that which, I guess, responded to a number of comments that ccNSO had made; one being that they were concerned that our process had been to release our report to the Board. I think it was interpreted in such a way that they didn't understand that that is the normal process for all SSAC reports. They saw that as being a comment that should have been sent to them rather than the Board.

The SSAC has really reaffirmed its statement that the Principles of Conservatism, Inclusion, and Stability need to be taken into consideration in any review of new proposed IDNs, and that the SSAC considers that, as it stands, the extended Process Similarity Review Panel doesn't do that in a way that SSAC feels is appropriate.

I've sent you the report. I know you're pressed for time and it is a really, really complicated issue, but SSAC is going to go back over all of the history of where this came from, look at the extensive comments that the ccNSO have sent to us, look at our own views on this, and follow up our initial response with a more detailed response as soon as that's possible, but certainly within the next few weeks.

---

What SSAC has tried to say is that confusability is a security issue. It shouldn't be put to one side and said that it can be dealt with because it can lead to phishing and other security issues. That's really the one issue that I think SSAC is focusing on at the moment that I'd like to bring to your attention. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: We seem to have an echo somewhere at this point. Technical Staff can look at it, please? Or maybe it's gone already.

I see we have Yrjö. Is there anyone else who wants to speak?

I just have one brief comment. As I noted during the SSAC discussion — the discussion with SSAC – our response to the public comment on the extended – all of those other letters – was essentially quite supportive. The SSAC report came out after that.

Could I ask you to coordinate with the people who contributed to that statement just to make sure that if, indeed, based on the direction the SSAC is going, their final recommendation to the Board is at odds with ours, that we'd be in a position to justify it or change our response, if necessary. Just because I think if the Board is alert, they may well notice that and I think we have to be in a position to respond if they do. Thank you.

JULIE HAMMER: Just for your information, the Board was present in the meeting with the ccNSO. But yes, I'll definitely to that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Other Liaisons? Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman. I'll be quite short in the GNSO Council Report. The Council has not had its public session yet. I can take you through the agenda very briefly. But before taking you through that, there was an issue with regards to the IGO/INGO – the International Government Organization/ International Non-Government Organization – and the work that has been going on with the GAC (the Government Advisory Council).

There doesn't appear to have been a resolution drafted based on the discussions that have taken place between the GAC and the GNSO during their face-to-face meeting, and the sort of noise that had happened before and the concerns that had been expressed do not appear to have raised any kind of a resolution whatsoever.

---

So the GNSO Council stuck to their main agenda items. The first one is the adoption of the Consensus Recommendations from their GNSO bylaws or drafting team. As you know, the GNSO was afforded new powers under the Community Powers, and so the Council tossed a Working Group to put together – or to amend the bylaws, and add a few words so as for them to be able to have a procedure inside the GSNO to act on those Community Powers.

There were some concerns. In fact, there is a minority statement from the Non-Contracted Parties Houses, commercial stakeholder group. So, that's the IPC (Intellectual Property, the Internet Service Provider), and the business constituencies; where they point out that the GNSO Council was originally intended to just deal with policy issues and not to deal with issues of Community Powers.

That's the usual discussions that one has had when the Council is on the one side and the constituencies are on the other side. Some constituencies direct the votes of the Councilors, some don't. So there are concerns about this that have been expressed, and one of the things that has happened is that they have expressed in their Minority Statement they are concerned that the Council —

---

[alarm sounding]

Does that apply to the GNSO work as well? No. Okay.

They have expressed that the — and now I've lost the — it's just gone straight out.

They've expressed the fact that the Council was able to change those bylaws and is able to give itself new powers single-handedly without needing to have the approval of the Board or anyone else. So that creates a precedent, and they're concerned about this.

The rest of the agenda — there is a note about the chartering of the Cross-Committee Working Group on internet governance. There was a concern that the GSNO Council might pull out of the Cross-Committee Working Group. It appears that now they will be looking at the Charter again and getting a working group, or a group of people together to work on the charter and perhaps tighten it based on the rules of Cross-Committee Working Groups that the GSNO has adopted.

There's a chartering of a new Cross-Committee Working Group on new detailed Auction Proceeds. I believe that the ALAC should be taking part in this working group. I'm not sure

---

whether, Mr. Chairman, you've already heard of the chartering of this.

ALAN GREENBERG: I've slightly heard of it. Thank you.

[alarm sounding]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You also are out. You've done your two minutes.

ALAN GREENBERG: For the record, we don't normally use timers for main presentations. We use them for interventions and comments and questions.

Yes, I think I've heard about it. I think I spent an untold number of hours working on the Drafting Team, and I think it's on the agenda later today. And I think I sent out a Draft Motion.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman.

---

Next, the remaining items are of lesser importance to the – with the other things that are going on, but there's a motion...

Well, there's a response to the Board letter regarding policy implications of the final report of the Internationalized Registration Data Expert Working Group. There's also a discussion of the GSNO Newcomer Survey that will go in and, of course, the second part of today's Public Meeting of the GSNO Council will be about GSNO Council elections.

Unfortunately, I have not managed to track who is standing this year, but we have to rest assured that the same problem is what happened last year where there was a misunderstanding of what the rules were and they ended up with no Chair. This year they will have worked things out. I believe that last night they spent some time to work this one out. Hopefully, they will have the whole process working smoothly.

That concludes my report. Thank you.

Oh — just a couple more words. This is, of course, my last report as GSNO Council ALAC Liaison to the GSNO Council. It was a good year. I had a good time. They're a nice bunch of people. I made new friends, and I guess I can hand the baton over to Cheryl Langdon-Orr who is more than capable to assume that



---

position. Thank you for having given your trust in me for that year. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yrjo's card is up. I'm not sure if that's to speak as a liaison or in response to something else.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: To give my liaison's report.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. We'll come to you in a moment. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. Mine was in response. As far as I can ascertain – and I'm only just starting to receive material from the GNSO list – I believe the current Chair stands uncontested. Just to bring you up to speed.

ALAN GREENBERG: Exceedingly civil thing to do. Seun?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you very much. Thank you for the update, Olivier. Just a quick... On this IGO stuff, there was — I heard somewhere that

---

the GAC were initially participating but they pulled out. Do you have an idea of why they did not continue their participation? Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: There has not been any formal discussion within the GNSO Working Group on this in about two years or something like that. I really don't recall to what extent the GAC participated in that process, but what's going on today is a follow onto that. But there is formal discussion going on in the GNSO.

I will point out that there's been one of the more lively discussions I've seen on At-Large lists in the last several days. An awful lot of the discussion is on the philosophy of the original process and not on the question on the table today. If we have enough time, perhaps we should focus on that because although I find these discussions interesting and fun, sometimes we go off on a tangent and what we're debating is nothing that's on the table within ICANN.

If we have time at this session, I'll do that. If not, we'll try to find time somewhere else if the ALAC feels I should do that. I was one of the participants in the original process. Have I missed any hands?

---

I will now call on our Liaison to the Governmental Advisory Committee. Thank you.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO:

Thank you, Alan. First of all, I want to thank you all for trusting me with this task. Having served on the GAC and in the At-Large, I'm really excited that I have the opportunity to facilitate the communication and cooperation between these two bodies that have public interest and interest of their end-users, or citizens, foremost on their minds.

We actually are natural allies on many issues, and one of the issues is, of course, is new gTLDs. This was one of the topics yesterday when we had this ALAC GAC meeting and one of the aspects of that issue are the concerns about Community-based new gTLDs.

And as it happens, there is a brand new report from the Council of Europe, which is a GAC Observer, concerning the new gTLDs on Community-based. This report has aroused great interest in the GAC, and I have sent it to the ALAC list. And I'm trying to get paper copies for you also and I can recommend it. Its good reading. It has good arguments. That's pretty much those that the ALAC has done and the GAC has presented.

---

We're trying to get some interaction between the GAC and ALAC on this report before the Copenhagen meeting to identify points that we could jointly support and push.

I have been following the GAC meetings here, including the GAC meeting with GNSO and the question on IGO/INGO. Names caused some heated discussion there. I sent a short report or short note on that meeting to the ALAC list already.

I think this is all at this stage. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Any questions for Yrjö? Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman. There are elections going on in the GAC as we speak. Would you have any exclusive information as to who has won?

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: Not yet. Of course, the Chair will continue. Thomas will continue. And for the positions of Vice Chairman – which there are five positions because they go by these regions and there are six candidates. We're waiting with great, great suspense what happens.

ALAN GREENBERG:            Anyone else? I don't see Maureen in the room. I'm not sure if she's at a ccNSO meeting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:    She is with ccNSO in the Board Meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG:            Thank you very much. That's what I was asking. I presume she'll brief us in a following meeting, as appropriate. Anyone else?

In relation to liaisons, I would like to announce that are our new .mobi liaison is Wafa.

[Applause]

I'm not expecting a report at this moment.

[Laughter]

WAFDA DAHMANI:            Thank you all for your trust. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. A formal announcement will be made shortly. This is the first that it's been said publically on it, so keep it off the list until we let Marie know.

RALO Chairs. Have the RALOs have anything to report? Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman. As the EURALO Chair, EURALO did not have a formal meeting in Hyderabad. However, we did have a breakfast of the EURALO Team, including the representative of one of our newer ALSes Article 19, Niels ten Oever. We exchanged ideas as to where we were going, and it was a very good team-building exercise for us to have breakfast together.

I think we're all very motivated to get that region on track to grow, to also focus a lot on the parts of Europe that we're not covering well yet. I'm thinking, of course, of the Balkan countries, but also the Baltic countries. There are some events that are going to take place in the Baltic countries in the forthcoming year including the EuroDIG taking place in Vilnius in Estonia — no, sorry, Tallinn in Estonia. So we really are looking towards covering all these parts of the region. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Before we go on to our next Chair, I've been reminded that we must have — I'm using that word carefully — some subjects to present to Steve prior to him showing up in this room. We did send out a message a while ago, got no responses. I will make them up if you'd like, but if anyone would like to add anything to that, see me privately before the end of the break. Thank you. Satish?

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Alan. APRALO had its meeting yesterday. It was very **[inaudible]** with the hall packed. The main discussions were around — we formalized the election of the Chair. The Interim Chair was appointed as the Chair.

We discussed the issue of individual membership that had come up for discussions, and we appointed a small group to look into the details and also to provide to Heidi an update about the discussions that took place in the public forum.

The other items discussed were the CROPP and the Mentorship Program which is being run very successfully. In fact, after the program started, we had many more requests that people be added to the program, which we are unable to because it's half-way through.

---

We also had a discussion on the Community Policy Preferences, which we had a survey done a while ago and it was presented to the Community. And the final point was regarding our General Assembly coming up at ICANN60 at Abu Dhabi. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Satish said that a Chair was elected. The Chair is him.

[Applause]

SATISH BABU: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Humberto?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much. I will be very brief in the interest of time. As a region, we have been working on several topics but, there is one main topic and we are happy about this. As you all know, we have been undergoing a mediation process which, from our point-of-view, is heading in a good direction.



---

We are ending this process. We are very optimistic when it comes to the results, and today we will be having a meeting with all the Latin American participants. And the idea is to work together with ALAC RALO Leadership as well as ALAC members and all the Latin American participants so that we can coordinate our activities in order to have any [inaudible] together in Latin America [inaudible] so that they can participate in policy development processes. That's why we're working on certain surveys in relation to the Latin American priorities in this regard. That's all. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. We have Glenn and Aziz. Who would like to go first? Sorry. I can't hear you if you don't speak up.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I said Glenn's going to give it.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would hope so. I think Glenn is the Chair. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks, Judith. I'm getting tired, punchy. A few things. Some of this is repetitious if you were at the Secretariat's meeting yesterday. We've been trying to have a proactive communication

---

strategy, thanks to people like Eduardo Diaz who's doing a constant contact and newsletter. And I recommend the other RALOs to look at his methodology. It's very media-rich.

We implemented in Helsinki a semi-annual report and we'll be doing our annual report tomorrow. It's a very extensive analysis of what we've done, where we — I guess, it's putting in perspective what our plan is and measuring if we're living up to what we set out to do.

Our ongoing communication has really focused on with telephone calls, e-mails, encouragement to less active ALSes to actually get more involved with attending – but not only attending, look at policies, look at working groups, and getting involved.

Staying on the same vein of communication, we redesigned our brochure based on the new format. We have a mail card that we've created a few templates and that's work in progress.

The other methodology of communication that we've put into place is a very transparent work-in-progress and tracking methodology that we try to indicate when we start a project, if it's completed and who's responsible.

---

In terms of capacity-building, we organized a Meet-and-Greet – just a very informal – [calls] for new ALSes or ALSes that haven't been active. One of the big things we have put in to place in terms of capacity-building is planning for our General Assembly. We are really trying to document, fully, with using project management tools on the process. Our General Assembly will be in April next year and it's in tandem with ARIN, which is our local RIR.

One of the other outstanding issues that we're working on is the New Rules and Procedures. The Committee will be meeting fairly soon, and that's to harmonize our Rules and Procedures to the other RALOs for one. Second of all, we're waiting to see what the results are of the new ALS criteria.

Engagement — we are identifying areas that are under-represented in our region or specialty to reach out. And we also are trying to encourage members, especially with the new committees that are being struck or resurrected, to be involved.

Our CROPP program — we were very active last year and we just have one trip for this fiscal period left. We also implemented a policy of encouraging that only new people, new faces could actually go on CROPP trip.

---

In terms of process, we sent out as, a feedback from our Community, a few months – two or three months later – feedback so that the people who did the CROPP trips actually did follow up, so what the results were. So rather than just going to a CROPP trip, coming back, “What a great trip,” – we actually put pressure on them, “Who did you talk to? What was the follow up?”

I’ll just ask Judith. Did I miss anything?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We also, in the engagement, we did an analysis of which ALSes have not been active at all. And then we followed up with e-mails and phone calls to them to figure out why they weren’t being active. Many of them said that they are no longer interested and asked to be taken off the list.

Others — some of them didn’t even reply, and other saying, “Oh, I’m just very confused about the whole ALAC, the whole process. I don’t know which e-mails. I get so bombarded over e-mails.” They don’t know which one, and so we worked to educate them and figure out what are their interests, which of the communities they want, and also to encourage people to come to the NARALO meeting.

---

And after this work, the number of people who came to the meeting shot up — jumped a lot. So we're getting a lot more people coming active to the meetings.

Last year you'll see — if you come to the meeting, a year in review — we pretty much had all but one ALS vote, and that ALS who didn't vote was because they were no longer around. Otherwise, we would have had 100% participation.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Last, we have Aziz. Just as a reminder, we're due in the Board meeting, which is just adjacent to here in about 11 minutes.

AZIZ HILALI: [inaudible] take the same [inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm just reminding us. We are due in the Board meeting.

AZIZ HILALI: Okay. No problem. I'm going to try and share with you the activities of our RALO in a telegraphic manner.

---

Over the past few months, we received many new ALSes. I already said that yesterday. It is a great pleasure for me to announce that we now have 45 ALSes in our RALO. There's new countries joining such as Mauritania, Ghana, and Togo.

Our RALO has the representation of over two-thirds of African countries. The Board launched a Working Group on Rules of Procedure which resumed its work because there was a time in which we had too much on our plate because we were working on the transition of the Stewardship and on ICANN's Accountability Enhancement.

During our last teleconference, we also created a working group that's supposed to organize our General Assembly to be held in Johannesburg, the next meeting in Africa. We've also noticed there are many new ALSes so we're going to get them ready.

We don't know these people, and so these young ALSes, since there are so many, are going to go through a capacity-building program and we're going to put into place an Outreach Program in order to engage them and to have them participate as we'd already done for other African meetings.

We're going to implement an Outreach Program, such as the one we held in Marrakech, for NGOs and for University students.

---

With the help of our staff, we also organized a Webinar on the CROPP program so that we could have new ALSes joining us and participating further so that they would ask for funds in order to travel and to benefit from the CROPP in order to be able to attend meetings in Africa.

We've also organized a mentoring program for the ALSes that will be joining us at our next meeting, but also for Newcomers at ICANN. Of course, that's going to take a lot of work from us.

Regarding the CROPP, we're also preparing AFRALOs participation with AFRINIC. We've been very active for two years thanks to the help of AFRINIC. So we're more effective because they've been helping us, and we're more active. And they help us be better represented at their meetings.

We're going to go to Mauritius in a few weeks, and over the past few weeks we've also worked on the preparation of the Joint Meeting that we always hold. We've done this ever since 2010 with Africa.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, the entire African Community will meet in order to discuss the impact of the IANA Stewardship Transition and the Enhancement of Accountability on Africa.

---

That's it. I hope I wasn't too long.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Humberto has a very short statement to make.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much. Vanda just told me that one of the activities we had in Latin America was the creation of the Internet Entrepreneurship Center that we have been participating very activity. So this is something we need to mention as an additional activity in the region. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Before we adjourn this meeting – as I said, we are due at the Board meeting, I believe in about seven minutes. It's in Hall 3. That's adjacent to here. We have ten slots I'm told on the front table.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: And there are also some on the side.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: And there are also some on the side. I'm not quite sure I know what that means, but I guess we'll figure it when we see the room.

We have 13 ALAC members present at this meeting, and I would like Olivier to be at the table since he's presenting the ATLAS. So we will be able to accommodate almost everybody, but not quite.

I would like to make sure that anyone who has volunteered to speak — anyone can speak even from the floor, or from the sides, whatever that means – but I think we have assigned speakers at this point: myself, Holly, Tijani, León, Sebastien. If I've missed anyone, please let me know. So those people must be at the table. Anyone else who wants to is fine.

Anything else before we close? Thank you very much. See you in a few minutes next door.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay. I just want to do a real quick report on pictures. There's almost 2 million pictures in the FLICKR site. Yesterday's with the Showcase – we had almost 27,000 views. So people who were at the Showcase, I'm sure they enjoyed it, but they...

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**