
COPENHAGEN – At-Large NARALO Meeting
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 – 13:45 to 14:45 CET
ICANN58 | Copenhagen, Denmark

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Good afternoon, good morning and early morning to Alan and the Pacific coast. It's roughly 6:00 for Alan in the beautiful province of British Columbia.

We are going to start the meeting, even though we have people that are going to be coming in a little bit later. They can listen to the transcripts. I welcome everyone to the meeting.

Evin, please do the roll call and start the recording, please.

Evin, go ahead, please.

EVIN ERDOGDU: I'm pulling up the agenda. Just give me one moment. But I can insert the link into the chat room if you'd like.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, Evin. We're welcoming everyone, and we'll start off with the roll call.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

EVIN ERDOGDU: All right. Hello, everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call on the 15th of March, 2017, in Copenhagen, ICANN58.

Today in the room with us, we have Judith Hellerstein, Glenn McKnight, and Heidi Ullrich from staff. In the AC room, we have Allan Skuce, Eduardo Diaz, and Gordon Chillcott, as well as John Moore and Louis Houle.

Sorry, could you please state your name for the record?

LOUIS HOULE: Louis is in Copenhagen.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Okay. Thank you very much.

LOUIS HOULE: Louis Houle.

EVIN ERDOGDU: I will note that. Thank you, Louis.

With that, please begin.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Welcome, all. I have to mention that a number of people are still in another meeting, so their spirit is with us, and I'm sure they can listen to the transcripts.

Okay. I want to immediately go into the action items. The first action item was the creation of a certificate of acknowledgement to be digitized and mailed to Darlene Thompson, a longstanding member.

Thank you. We just had Garth Bruen join as well for the record.

This is the certificate. It's signed by myself, Alan, and Judith, and it says "North American Regional At-Large Organization (NARALO) hereby recognizes Darlene Thompson for leadership, service, and dedication to the North American Regional At-Large Organization (NARALO) from 2007 to 2017." We'd like to send this off to her with an actual detailed letter that'll be mailed out as well. So that's an action item that is completed.

The second item is that we had an outstanding item last month on the CROPP request. And it's in the details. That has been completed. Judith will be talking about that outstanding CROPP trip for our region.

Okay. I'd like to open it up to the community at large on any community announcements. We have a few minutes for that, so I'll turn to the people in the room, first of all, and then to the Connect room.

The Chair recognizes Garth Bruen.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth Bruen, ALAC/NARALO. I just submitted a memo to ALAC yesterday concerning an analysis of ICANN's internal processes as they address abuse complaints and invalid WHOIS complaints.

The data shows that the compliance process – the internal process – doesn't work and that it can actually be gamed by criminals.

So I would encourage everybody to review this memo and draw their own conclusions. I'll submit that to the list. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Garth. You'll give us a link to that so that we can comment? Thank you.

Okay. Louis, do you have any announcements? Or Judith?

LOUIS HOULE: No. Just working on a project with the Internet Society and ISOC-Quebec. Some more details will come.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Judith, please? Thank you, Louis.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I don't have anything, but I know ISOC-DC has been very busy with different events. If John Moore is on, maybe he can talk a little about those.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I'm looking on the Adobe. I don't see anyone's hands up.

In our case, our not-for-profit, we launched a pilot project with IEEE and ISOC called Building Community Networks. It's a free online course. It's 12 modules. We welcome anyone to take the course. It's a detailed mesh technology course. I'll be sharing the findings of that course with anyone who's interested in taking that as well.

Great. Thank you. No hands are up. Anyone on Adigo?

No? Okay. We're going to move onto the next one.

Okay, our next item – Heidi, just to alert you – would you mind giving us an update on our FBSC submissions by our NARALO members and what's the status of those?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

At this point, I can only give you a very general update, and that is that the internal group has met. I was able to speak with them as they were making some of the decisions, or at least the initial thoughts on the decisions.

I think that things are looking in a positive manner. We will have to wait. Some might be going into core, and then some will be thought of for a possible fiscal year '18 additional budget request.

So again, we're on track, and I expect that there'll be a final announcement some time, I think it's in May. Again, the projects that are approved, if they're in the fiscal year '18 approved budget request, they will start on the first of July. If they're in core, again, we can start

already planning right away after the announcement of the budget.
Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you so much. I think we got a lot of really good submissions from NARALO. Some of them are actually looking at repeat ones. Judith has one that she's [inaudible], and I'll let her elaborate.

But I just want to mention that the captioning was highlighted by Göran on Tuesday, which was a huge achievement. I know many of us on this team have really pushed for captioning as an accessibility tool, but it's gone way beyond that.

Just before I turn to Judith, I'd like to recognize the distinguished member from Puerto Rico. Eduardo Diaz has joined us.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Chair. I was here for about five or six minutes, but I'm following you from the other meeting. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Judith, please?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: In line with that, we also discussed a bit about the policy tracking proposal in the Technology Task Force meeting. Laura Bengford and others from staff were saying that they are also working on that issue.

They are glad we put something in because it gives them more support for the things they want to do with the community behind them. They have a short-term and long-term perspective, and they're going to be weaving our comments that we put on the special budget request into them. So it should help us move the project at a faster pace than we had thought.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you so much. Also, since you just walked in the room, Eduardo, just a minute ago, we were just getting an update on our NARALO submissions. I know you submitted one as a part of a team for the two days prior to the ICANN 58, which will be in your hometown, which will be the School of Internet Governance.

Correct me if I'm wrong Heidi – we're looking at possibly knowing by May? Is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Absolutely. You may hear a little bit before then because that one is coming up. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you so much. I know we've been talking to Olga Cavalli and Satish, and we're really sharing a lot of really solid ideas and we're getting people stepping up and wanting to speakers at the event as well.

Okay. I'm going to move onto the next item. It's back to you, Heidi, again, on the Board seat; the election update. It's item 3.2.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Leon Sanchez was elected to the Board seat. Congratulations, Leon. He will be officially taking his seat at the close of the AGM, the Annual General Meeting, in Abu Dhabi, ICANN 60.

But in the meantime, he has been invited by the Board to already participate in some of their meetings. I know he's been doing that here in Copenhagen. He's been invited to attend the Board workshop in May. So I think that's an early good way... Rinalia was asked as well by Steve Crocker, the Chair of the Board. That has really helped transition her onboarding, and it will do the same for Leon, I'm sure. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Heidi.

I'd like to welcome Javier, our ALAC member through the NomCom. Susie Johnson has joined us as well. Thank you. Welcome to the meeting.

I have to say that Alan did a spectacular job, I thought, in answering the questions in the debates. He was a real contender, and he's very gracious. I'm hoping that he stays on as Chair. He's a great member, and coming from our unaffiliated membership, he has really proven himself as the Chair.

Okay. I'm going to move onto the next agenda item. It's the big one. Thank you, Susie, for joining us because this is actually going to be picking on you on some of these issues. It's our NARALO general assembly. We're working on a number of components of it, and we separated a number of the tasks that we did.

Let me just run through the confirmation of attendees. We were asked to get this list confirmed by early January, which we did. The challenge has been, in some people's cases, that they have a challenge in reading their e-mail or answering their phones or answering their cell phones, to making sure that they actually went ahead and completed their travel arrangements. In some cases, some people have never done any traveling before, so they had to go through those standard forms that are required.

But I think we have everyone nailed. I think there was a couple of people in particular that Susie and I spent quite a bit of communication on to try to get those two individuals, but I think we have our confirmation of attendees. We're going to have a really nice mixture of seasoned, experienced people and lots and lots of newcomers.

Because Alan is coming as well, we also have William Cunningham, who's the representative for the unaffiliated, who will be there as well. He's from the Washington area. He's been active with the IGF-USA. He'll be there as well.

There are a number of faces you probably have never meet, but we're going to have a lot of opportunity to get to know each other.

The general assembly was designed to integrate with ARIN at the last ARIN meeting at Montreal. That didn't happen because when we submitted our proposal, we did it at the same time as EURALO. EURALO's GA was in Dublin, so what we did is we had to say "Who is actually going to do their GA?" We graciously gave it to the Europeans to do their GA at that time, and we've elected to wait it out. I think it's going to prove to be very successful working with ARIN.

But in advance, we wanted to make sure all of you understood what ARIN was, so we conducted one seminar already. The webinar was done by Chris Tacit, and it was called "Getting to Know ARIN." I think it was highly successful. The match-up to that, it's a repeat performance. It is March 22nd. If you went to the February 6th one, you do not have to attend the 22nd, but we ask everyone who is going to absolutely attend the ARIN webinar to get to know ARIN, even if you've been to an ARIN event before, because you can always learn more stuff.

I'm just going to look to see if there's any questions from the Adobe. I do not see anyone.

Anyone have any questions about the get-to-know pre-event and the reason why we did it?

Okay. Everybody's cool? All right.

Okay. Event logistics. This page is jam-packed with all the aspects of the event logistics. I'm going to lean on Susie on this one on the hotel bookings and other logistical things. I'd just like to say that after you

get your travel arranged, you have to make your own arrangements to the hotel. There is no bus. You use Uber, a taxi, whatever means – walk. It’s your responsibility to get there.

All of you should have – and I think you all have done this –you all have registered to the ARIN site already. You need to have your badges for ARIN. I’ll let Judith go through the agenda.

Logistically, we also have a table. We are having our banner, we have a tablecloth, and we have brand spanking new mail cards. We did not print the brochure. We have an electronic of the brochure. The idea is for you to chat with people. You’ll have a NARALO badge, so people will know who you are.

Each of us have been assigned times. You can just check the table on the logistics page for which time slots. The time slots for the morning break, lunch break is broken into two teams, and the afternoon break.

We have been allocated a table, so we’ll be doing outreach at the event as well. We’re going to be a significant body at that event. We’re going to stand out.

I’m going to turn to Susie, please. Can you just go over how you feel on how the logistics are moving along? And are there any outstanding issues?

SUSIE JOHNSON:

Thank you, Glenn. Just a few things. Hi.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hi.

SUSIE JOHNSON: We are still missing two people to register for their flights. I have rooms for them. Those are the only two issues that we have.

The room: we have been lucky with this hotel. They are giving us a bigger room for the meeting for Wednesday. It's a larger room. Now we're going to have Royal A, B, and C because we have also requested breakout rooms for your breakout sessions. So you can have three rooms if you want to send different groups to different rooms.

We are working on the reception. It will be held from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 on Sunday. I just want to confirm: the reception is just for the NARALO participants and a couple of ICANN executives, correct? Okay. Thank you.

Breakfast on Wednesday will be in Royal A from 7:30 to probably 8:45, and then we head off to Room B, the larger room, for the meeting all day.

Lunch will be served from 1:00 to 2:00. If you wish to extend it – 12:30 to 2:00 – let me know. But we have it from 1:00 to 2:00.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Is it possible to ask questions as we go?

SUSIE JOHNSON: Yes. Please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Susie, on the lunch, is that back in the main room? Because I also notice that there is a women's networking lunch.

SUSIE JOHNSON: On Wednesday?

HEIDI ULLRICH: On Monday. Are you on Monday?

SUSIE JOHNSON: I'm talking about our event.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh, you're just talking about the GA. You're just talking about Wednesday. Okay. I'm sorry.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Right. I'm just talking about Wednesday, our general assembly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Food is provided on the Monday and Tuesday during the ARIN event, so we don't have to worry about you taking care of the breakfast, the snacks, and the lunch.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Right.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Monday and Tuesday is taken care of by ARIN. Wednesday is taken care of by us. Wednesday, we have breakfast from 7:30 or whatever time you guys want – either 7:00 or 7:30 – until 9:00 a.m. Then we start at 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., with lunch being served from 1:00 to 2:00.

Yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: The agenda now we already are having our first session at 8:00, Susie.

We could maybe put the program up and bring it over to Wednesday so we could take a look at that.

Susie, where is the breakfast? On the Wednesday, do we have breakfast coming into the main room?

SUSIE JOHNSON: No. We have rooms Royal A, B, and C, and breakfast will be in...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Susie, she's talking about the Monday and Tuesday of the ARIN meeting.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Oh, Monday and Tuesday...

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm talking Wednesday.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, okay. On Monday and Tuesday, we did secure a secure a separate room for breakfast from 8:00 to 9:00. I forgot what room it is, but they have it. We have a separate room on Monday and Tuesday so that we could have our discussions on the agenda. Susie took care of that. We worked with ARIN, and we're using a separate room on those days.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Yes. To confirm, Judith, you have room Royal B from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. So that you will be meeting before the ARIN meeting. That's your breakout session, Judith? On Monday and Tuesday?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, I guess that is. Because we're meeting only in the morning.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Correct. I guess you will get your breakfast from the ARIN and then bring it into the room?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. I think that's the case because we needed to have a separate room to do our little breakouts and our discussions. We're going to be having a talk by John Curran on Tuesday, so that's why we needed the separate room.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Okay. On April 5th, you have two breakout rooms. You have Royal C and Royal A. In Royal A, there may still be food from the lunch or they're getting ready, but you can still go in there and do your breakouts.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just a thought. Perhaps we could do the breakfasts between 7:00 and 8:00 and then doing the meetings all the way across Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday because, again, on Wednesday the GA agenda starts at 8:00.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, breakfast is provided by ARIN, and we don't know if breakfast will be out from 7:00 to 8:00.

SUSIE JOHNSON: I would check with ARIN.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Let's move on from the food issue. Are there any other logistics? It's making me hungry; that's all.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Where do we go to get breakfast?

SUSIE JOHNSON: Pardon me? Oh.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Louis, go ahead.

LOUIS HOULE: On Wednesday, the breakout rooms, are we going to have a screen to show a couple of slides? What kind of equipment are we...?

SUSIE JOHNSON: No. The only room that will have A/V will be the main meeting room. You require A/V in the other two rooms, the breakout rooms?

LOUIS HOULE: Maybe.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Okay. Let me look at that. From what time to what time, do you think?

LOUIS HOULE: When is it on the schedule? The breakout sessions.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, when we get to that, we'll discuss it because we had to move some of the breakout sessions around to different times. We'll wait until we get to that, and then Heidi can go over it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let's move down to the agenda, Glenn, and then we'll see... We had an organizing committee call two or three weeks ago, so we've adapted this agenda. This is still a draft, but we've adapted this to have a flow come down from the beginning of the day, so it's all linked down to the day. I think, as we walk through this, you'll see how we decided to do that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Let's level-set this for a second. You get in on Sunday. Hopefully you guys are in on time to be a part of the orientation session that ARIN has for you. And there are social events on Sunday night. But 8:00 to 9:00 we're doing some ice breakers to get to know each other. It's not the formal GA. Then we hit the road running at 8:00 in the morning until 2:00.

Hopefully out of that whole process, we are hearing from the community what direction do we want to go, what are some of the gaps are in our analysis, what things we should be concentrated on. This is chance to hear from our community on what we are doing right, wrong, and indifferent.

I want to turn to Judith and Heidi to walk through the updates on just the agenda for the day on Wednesday, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. I'll do that. On Wednesday, we have the opening session. We're going to have the topics of introductions and aims and objectives of the NARALO GA. Then we're going to talk on policy and policy development, an overview of policy and how it's developed and why it's important for At-Large. These will be given by John Laprise and Avri Doria, with some questions and answers.

We will next move to Glenn for a discussion of the NARALO outreach strategic plan. Also, in response to a number of concerns from our ALSs, we want to have a longer time to talk with Chris Mondini about the need for strategic plan for North America, and then we'll have that discussion with them.

Afterwards, we'll have a break. Göran Marby will be joining us, and he's going to be talking on policy and outreach and engagement.

After that, we'll move to the breakout sessions. Now, according to the organization meeting, we revised a bunch of these breakout sessions' costs in response to community interest and what we think will be more doable. We want to have more of a discussion on policy and outreach, so we're going to identifying NARALO's hot policy topics and the potential impact on end users. John Laprise is going to be facilitating that session.

Glenn, apparently you're leading a session on identifying key elements in the NARALO strategic plan. We are then going to another one that

will talk about ensuring end user accountability through effective policy and process. That is going to be led by Garth Bruen.

Then at the organization meeting, we wanted to discuss having some solution circles. They may have been topics early on in the discussions that were very interesting to people, but there was no way of taking those and figuring out, “Well, how can we create solutions? How can we create a roadmap? How can we implement those?”

So we decided that we would take the topics that were most interesting to people in the morning and create little solution circles for them. We don’t know what these topics will be. They will be based on the...

Oh, Heidi says it will just be one, based on the topics there. Maybe, Heidi, you can give a little discussion about this.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. Thank you very much, Judith, for this. Just to go back up a little bit, the idea was that by making this shift to the agenda, that it would for, basically, a much more structured and logical flow of the day to where, again, we start at the beginning – what are the aims and objectives are, a little bit of background on what a general assembly is, what we want to get out of that – then identify some of the policy issues and why policy development is important to NARALO and ICANN.

Then we come down to identifying how this strategy plan from NARALO and perhaps North America can help with that. “This is what

we need for policy development. This is what the strategy plan should look like,” so we can start getting there in terms of outreach and engagement.”

Then we have Göran come in. Göran is going to be there from the beginning, so he’ll be listening to this going on. It’s going to be very interactive sessions going on. Then, Göran’s session, the thought currently is that he would talk just for a few minutes – 10 minutes or so – and then that session – I think it’s a 45-minute session or so – the rest would be interaction on that.

Then we would go into the breakout sessions. Again, from all of that that was discussed in the morning – what it is that would benefit at NARALO in terms of policy development, outreach and engagement, strategy – then come into those breakout sessions to see what it is to see what we would need for the tools, etc.

So, again, we’re going to break out into those four sessions. There’ll be the facilitator and the rapporteur. Then basically, people will have about 15 or 20 minutes at each, and if they wish to – they don’t need to – then they’ll circle into the other breakout sessions to add more... After the bell rings or something, everyone circulates, the rapporteur or the leader can give a very brief summary and then start that process of brainstorming in the breakout sessions.

And then the solution circle is going to be one session, topic to be determined by the discussions in the morning. Avri and John Laprise have agreed that they would work on that one.

Then there'll be lunch, and then there'll be a very short 30-minute closing session where the rapporteurs of those breakout sessions will report back. And then next steps.

Those are the current thoughts, and that's what I think we're going to discuss here.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, could you also give a discussion on...? Because we had some other breakout topics identified that are no longer being held.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Judith. I think that the idea was that some of those, while of interest, might not be a good fit for the general assembly because we wanted it going with aims and objectives all the way through. Now, that doesn't mean that we can't have that at a later time – have it a focus of a single-issue call, have it on part of the NARALO monthly meeting. So those were the thoughts.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm looking to see if anyone has a question from the Adobe room. I'd like to welcome Chris Mondini, the V.P., and Alan Greenberg, our Chair of ALAC.

Louis, you have a question?

LOUIS HOULE: No. Just to mention that I don't need a screen any more.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: He does not need a screen anymore, which I'm glad to see. The longer you listen, the more you learn.

Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Given that I am optimistic that on the ALAC meeting the week before the assembly, we will approve the ALS communication and expectation process, plan, whatever. We really want to take 15 minutes and give a heads-up to the ALS representatives of what's going to be happening. So we need to allow a little bit of time for the presentation and questions on that somewhere in the day.

We have them all in front of us. It would be silly, a week later, to send them an e-mail saying "Guess what?" without having warned them of that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan, that's a great idea. But also we have the NARALO meeting during lunch. Also we could put that there in the NARALO meeting – a discussion on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not being prescriptive on when. I'd just say before we New Orleans, we really should have told them about it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Noted. Last comment to Heidi because we're moving deep...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perhaps we could either hold it during the NARALO meeting – I'll put that back in – or we could put it into that session that you're leading, Glenn, on the overview of the NARALO strategic plan and outreach and engagement because that might be a good fit, too.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, folks. Thank you so much on this topic. It's great feedback. I don't see any questions from the floor. I want to move on.

Just a quick update. We've created a general assembly magazine, where we've asked everyone to give a little profile on themselves. The agenda will be in it, links to documents, important information. It's around 50 pages already. Plus we did a survey that we sent out based on the hot topics. There are roughly 38 topics based on EURALO design. We're trying to find out what our expertise is. So in advance, people should know what each person's capacity is.

I've already mentioned that we'll have a NARALO booth. I believe, logistically, the banner and the tablecloth is there.

Okay. Let's move on.

John, do you have audio to give us a report on the rules and procedures; on item #5?

I don't hear you, John. Can you try your audio again, please?

Okay, it doesn't seem we have John Moore, but I know he was online earlier.

John is the penholder. We've had a series of meetings to do an update on our rules and procedures. They haven't been updated for quite a while. There are some inconsistencies with it. Just to let you know, John will be doing a overview on the rules, but there will be a community session that's coming up.

Okay. John is going to call in. Okay. I'm going to move on in the agenda until I hear him. As soon as he starts to speak, I'll cut off what I'm saying. So I'm going to move on.

We did have the presence of Eduardo a minute ago. He has been doing a phenomenally good job on the newsletter every month. He really asks all the time for people to send pictures, information. He's done a spectacular job, and it's really unfair just for him to be responsible for it. We'd like to see someone take it on as well, but until we get another volunteer, please send him information as quickly as possible. I think it's a great example of what NARALO is doing in terms of our effective communication.

Any questions on that or comments?

Okay. Moving along on the mail card and brochure, I mentioned earlier we will have a brand-spanking-new mail card at the event itself for distribution. You'll have it in your kit as well. We have an e-version of the brochure. We elected not to print it due to costs and whatever. They also will be providing links for that.

I don't see John calling in, but I'd like to turn to Chris if he has a few minutes to talk about the GSE strategic plan. Thank you.

CHRIS MONDINI:

Hi. It's Chris Mondini from the ICANN organization, V.P. for North America Stakeholder Engagement. Thank you very much.

In my role as a member of the Global Stakeholder Engagement team – we're a group of 30+ people in 18 different countries, serving all stakeholder categories around the world in various regions – the kind of things that I'm measured on as an employee are about stakeholder balance and helping the community with its needs in a balanced and even way across all of the SO and AC organizations and their constituencies. In addition to stakeholder categories in the North American region, also globally, I wear a hat, which is a business engagement hat, which was established four or five years ago.

With that in mind, you probably know Joe Catapano, who sits in the Washington office with me. He also assists. For my global role, I have Riccardo Ruffolo, who may still be here, who supports that global business engagement role.

For the North America regional engagement strategy, which I'm asked by [inaudible] to put together every year... The last one was done in April. I shared it with Glenn and Judith in December, and we posted it for any comments that people have because we're due for a refresh of that strategy. It's a pretty high-level and pretty basic document.

Some people have asked why the North American engagement strategy is formulated in a different way than the engagement strategies in Africa or Latin America or the Middle East.

It's largely because when the Global Stakeholder Engagement department was established four years ago, one of the things that was recognized globally is that as a proportion of active participants in ICANN, North America was already pretty well represented. So the real push, as you've seen with the opening of organizational hubs and with engagement offices, has been to seek stakeholder-led engagement strategies in the different regions.

That said, any strategic engagement plan would benefit from input from the people that it's trying to assist. So, what I'd like to do is take the input – we've had a couple of comments on what was posted – and come up with a draft plan for the year ahead. It's due in April for me, anyway, so the New Orleans dialogue would be an ideal time to hear from a user perspective and an At-Large perspective, what your input on the broader stakeholder strategy is.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Chris, very much. Anyone have any questions for Chris?

Okay. Garth, please.

GARTH BRUEN: Hi, Chris. Earlier this week in our meeting with the Board, we were informed by a member of the Board that Internet users are not

stakeholders and that ICANN has no obligations to Internet users. This actually mirrors a comment by a different Board member last year in Helsinki.

Given that there is sentiment within the Board that Internet users have no business here, what are we doing, why are we here, and what's the value of any of this work?

CHRIS MONDINI:

I can't speak to or address any specific comments. I'd be very interested to see what the transcript says, but it's troubling – your description of those comments.

I've looked very closely at the bylaws. We went through a process with ICANN's stewardship transition of the IANA functions, where we all looked very closely at the bylaws as a community. There are bylaws that reflect the role of At-Large and RALOs and ALSs as the voice of the users in this multi-stakeholder system.

So far be it for me to school Board members on what the bylaws say, but I'm certainly aware of what they say. If there's anything you'd like me to take up with anybody that I work with, I'm happy to do that.

As I said, the metrics – my internal KPIs – are in part based on how balanced my engagement support is. So if I'm neglecting users and the At-Large part of ICANN, then I'm not going to be doing my job.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Chris, for the reply.

I'm going to try again. John, do you have audio this time?

JOHN MOORE: Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Go ahead, John.

JOHN MOORE: I'm actually about to circulate... I unfortunately got distracted by working with me church and local organizations on refugee issues in the Washington area. I will be circulating within two days a draft for comment and whatever so that we can have something – at least a discussion draft of a new set of bylaws.

I've actually also spent a lot of time following a lot of different discussions that go on about codes of conduct, about issues arising, hoping to use those as part of the drafting process. I've been intending to meet with Judith on her return from ICANN 58. I look forward to getting together with her and getting this circulated.

Of course, I will be at the meeting in New Orleans.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you.

I'm just going to ask if anyone has any questions. Anyone from Adobe Connect?

Okay. Thank you, John. I look forward to your draft document. As we said, we have arranged a webinar for community feedback in the next weeks to come. Thanks again, John.

Okay. I'm going to be moving on on the agenda here. I skipped over Work in Progress, but the link is there on the stuff that we're working on that is part of our responsibilities.

Let me just catch where I am in this agenda here.

Okay. I'm going to turn to Judith, because it's our responsibility to announce the forthcoming NARALO election. Judith, do you want to walk through the timetable for the 2017 election timetable?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, if they can bring it up because I don't have it on my screen.

The call for nominations, we'll be having on April 11th. We have a couple of different posts that are open. We have NARALO Chair. That's currently held by Glenn McKnight. His current term ends at the end of the 2017 Annual General Meeting in October, and the next term starts right there.

Another position is the NARALO Secretariat, held by me. My term ends at the same time: at the annual general meeting. Both of these positions are either open for election or rough consensus. If we have some competition, then we'll go for an election, but if there's only one nomination, then we will put it to a rough consensus vote, an acclamation in a NARALO meeting.

ALAC, we two seats. The first seat is held by Garth Bruen. He is term-limited, so this year is his last year. So that position is open for election for anyone except for Garth, because he's term-limited

The second seat is currently held by Alan Greenberg. His term also ends in 2017. The next term starts immediately after and will run until the 2019 AGM.

I don't know if that's correct. I think Alan is finishing his second year. He has one more year to go, because the first time he came on, he came on as a replacement for Glenn. Then, last year, he started a second two-year term. So I think he's only one year into the term, but, Heidi, can you...?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. I'd like to comment on just the schedule and the process of how we set this up. So if I could comment on that. But in short, Alan, I believe, has one more year to go after this.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

NARALO also has a delegate to the NomCom. The current one is Eduardo Diaz, but he's term-limited. So this position is open for election or rough consensus for anyone but Eduardo because he cannot apply again. Nominations are taken by April 11th. They're open for one month. Then we have an election in May. [inaudible] one month. Heidi was going to give a comment on this.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. What we normally do is that the ALAC, where I work with Alan as the ALAC Chair, sets the ALAC election schedule. Based on that, Silvia and I will work with you to set all of the RALO elections to go with that, rather than this.

Let me take a look at this. I wasn't aware that you had set this out. But again, because it's ALAC, it goes by the full ALAC – across all regions – it goes by that schedule.

The timeline I have just glanced at. It looks roughly right. I know that NARALO, you have to announce it 30 days in advance. Silvia and I had been talking about it. I think late April would be a good start. So we'll work backwards for NARALO for that to come back late March. But if we could just not say that this is the official schedule yet, and we'll work closely with you. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Heidi, thanks for that. We'll get back with the exact date when nominations will be starting. Once nominations start, there's a one-month period for nominations, and after that period, we'll determine whether, if we have more than one candidate, we'll go for election. If we have one candidate, we'll do acclamation by rough consensus. So that's going to be our procedure.

I'll return it to Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. As an action item for the minutes, as Heidi has indicated, we'll go back. But roughly, if you look at the times, if you went back to the agenda, you'll see we were obligated in March to announce that we're going to have an election. There's a period that the nomination is open, and it closes, and then we have the finalization. So we're going to probably work a little bit on these dates, but the length of time stays the same between each of the categories.

Okay. So that's great. Thank you so much, Judith.

The next item is a big item. I'm just looking at our time. We have 14 minutes. I want to have a general discussion about item #8. It's the At-Large review.

Those who've participated with the meetings this week have contributed comments from the ALAC side or the RALO side. We've had a lot of heated discussion.

What I've been waiting for from Olivier is to send out a poll directly to our ALSs. If you recall, a couple of weeks ago we invited Alan and Olivier to our call, and we provided to the membership our interpretation of where the review hit the mark and where it missed.

Generally speaking, in my opinion, the more I read the document, the more I was convinced that they really lacked rigor. I think there are some real methodology problems there. I think in conversations, not all the reviewers but a few of them seemed to completely miss the mark on some of the things, which is sad. My own personal opinion is

there's not much to save in this review. But I think it's going to come through.

So that's my opinion. You may not share it, but let's open the floor to people's opinion.

JAVIER RUA-JOVET:

Happy to be here. It's the first time I've sat face-to-face. I didn't go to the Hyderabad meeting, which cannot be pardoned, but I hope you pardon it eventually. It was scheduled with... I don't know what happened.

In terms of the ITEMS review, my comment is that everything has been said. But again, the other comment is it's been a good thing to be questioned. Even though there are issues with the document – we'll know them – we've seen the response it has had. It's good to be sometimes made a bit uncomfortable. It's good to wake up, a wake-up call.

I think in the end, it's going to be good, not because of the review itself. It's because then we have to review ourselves, regardless of the review.

That's it. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Anyone else? Judith? Garth? Louis?

Okay. I'm going to move on to the outreach and engagement. We have a new program that was funded last year – and I guess it's in the works for this year as well – which provides a little local funds for local initiatives.

I believe, Louis, you're looking at an initiative with ISOC-Quebec for outreach. Have you applied for these funds? I know that Tom and [inaudible] were looking at submissions, and I think we're tracking who submitted funds as well.

Louis, go ahead.

LOUIS HOULE:

Yes. We're still working on that. We will submit a project [inaudible]. But it doesn't depend on me any more since I'm only the Honorary President of ISOC-Quebec, and I'm not part of their Board any more. So it's going to be my friend, Destiny Tchhouali, who is going to present that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. I was just given a note that I have nine minutes left – no, sorry. Six minutes.

LOUIS HOULE:

Just for the record, Destiny is the new President of ISOC-Quebec.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. Okay. Judith, did you want to say very briefly – 30 seconds – what the last CROPP trip is used for?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. We have one more CROPP trip. There's a conference on inclusion of low-income communities or Native Americans or ones [inaudible] in May in Minnesota on that. I will go to that conference using the CROPP trip.

Chris Mondini, we got it approved by the regional staff and NARALO, so it's on to you to look at it and review it and post any comments or approve it.

It's in the middle of May, a little more than eight weeks away, which is well within the time period of the program. We've been looking at it. It's gone through the CROPP review team already, and the CROPP review team has approved it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We really tried hard to ask people who've never done a CROPP trip before, and we were getting very little reply back. Very, very sensitive to the fact that we didn't want to lose a single trip. We've been very good at getting our trips on time, doing our reports, and in fact, we even invented a follow-up CROPP form to find out what the results were. So that is going to complete it. The next round, again, will start on the first of July.

Okay. The next item – he’s not here again; our illustrious leader from ISOC-Puerto Rico – is the NomCom report.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: He’s in NomCom right now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, that’s where he is. NomCom, with the revisions over the years, has been doing reports. I don’t know if any of you have seen them, but I know that Louis know full well that it’s been a fantastic, transparent process. If you can’t read the reports or haven’t had the time, pigeonhole Eduardo. Ask him anything about NomCom that you’d like.

Okay. The last bit is for Alan, and it looks like Alan left as well. These are the policy things.

One of the things I just want to say about policy is one of the proposals we did through the TTF was this tracking of policies to generate reports for the community, as well as Chris, on how we’re producing comments on policy. So we’re looking forward to doing more of that, and at our GA, it’s going to be a hot topic.

I’m just going to look down. Okay. I think that’s it.

Judith, back to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We also had a discussion on the policy proposal at the Technology Task Force and had a good discussion with Laura Bengford, who

talked about some of the similar work that her group is doing on the policy. They liked very much our proposal for time because it gels well with some of the projects they were working on in trying to make links with the Board and with the other advice given. So it looks like we're going to have a good close relationship with that because many of our ideas were also some of her ideas.

Chris?

CHRIS MONDINI:

Hi. It's nice to hear, and it's nice to get to the policy portion of the agenda.

I think I've shared this Glenn and with Judith, but I'd certainly like to share it with others, and I think we'll be able to discuss it in New Orleans as well. You heard me refer even earlier in this meeting about the expanded outreach for more global diversity, and certainly within North America, you're focused on diverse outreach here as well.

As, again, we enter this era of the post-IANA stewardship transition, converting some of the newly aware or the people that have newly started to follow ICANN into people who are knowledgeable about the domain name system and knowledgeable about the policies that affect the domain name system will be really important, so we have engagement that's also sustainable engagement and that you, as an important component of that community, will be, if you will, generating future generations of experts in ICANN's remit and ICANN's policies.

Again, sharing a little bit of what our team is being asked for in addition to showing balanced engagement is showing that the engagement is translating into the kinds of things that further policy, whether it's contributing to a public comment or contributing to an ALAC submission. All of these things will help us build on all the good work that we've done together about broadening the circle to deepening expertise and policy action because, again, we hear about volunteer burnout, everybody is very stretched, everybody is covering many multiple different topics.

So I'm heartened to hear that you're focused on it, and I look forward to working with you on it.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Chris, thanks so much. Yeah, and we did have some discussion with Laura because right now on her long term is the public comment, but the short term is the Board. Some improvements can be done even on there.

One of the problems beforehand was about the databases not talking to each other and also fixing up the form for people to fill out when they do a public comment to get it posted and making sure that all the fields are required and that they will flow into a database so that when they get time to do the public comment section part, that data will already be there that they can then integrate into the database and we won't have that problem any more.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm sorry. I'm going to cut you off. Our meeting has actually gone past the hour. Thank you all for joining. Do you have a final comment, Susie? Your comment – that's it. Last comment.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Thank you, Glenn. Based on ARIN's agenda, breakfast is from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Susie, thank you so much. I was worried about that the entire meeting. Thanks, everybody.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Two eggs, sunny-side up.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]