

---

COPENHAGEN - Joint Meeting: ICANN Board & ASO/NRO

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 - 08:30 to 09:30 CET

ICANN58 | Copenhagen, Denmark

RON DA SILVA: Okay. Good morning to everybody. This is the board/ASO joint meeting, and I'd like to welcome you to the beginning of our lovely constituency day where the board gets to sit here all day and have these dialogues.

So, without further ado, perhaps first we'll start at the far end and introduce ourselves, who is here and then we'll get right into our dialogue.

Nurani.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Good morning, everyone. I'm Nurani Nimpuno from the RIPE region, an ASO AC member.

FIONA ASONGA: Good morning. Fiona Asonga from the AfriNIC region, ASO AC member.

CHERINE CHALABY: Good morning. Cherine Chalaby, ICANN board.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

ALAN BARRETT: Hello. I'm Alan Barrett, CEO of AfriNIC.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Hello, I'm Kaveh Ranjbar, ICANN board.

LOUIE LEE: Hello. Good morning. I'm Louie Lee, vice chair of the ASO address council.

RICARDO PATARA: Hello. Good morning. Ricardo Patara, vice chair of ASO AC from LACNIC region.

AXEL PAWLIK: Good morning. Axel Pawlik, managing director of the RIPE network coordination center in Amsterdam.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Good morning, Filiz Yilmaz, RIPE rep to the ASO AC and chair of the ASO AC.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Good morning. Aftab Siddiqui, member of the ASO AC.

---

JOHN CURRAN: John Curran, CEO of ARIN and chair of the number resource organization which you know as the ASO within ICANN.

AKINORI MAEMURA: Akinori Maemura, board member of ICANN, ASO appointee.

PAUL WILSON: I'm Paul Wilson, the APNIC delegate to the NRO AC, I suppose.

LITO IBARRA: Hello. Lito Ibarra, ICANN board.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Good morning. Rinalia Abdul Rahim, ICANN board.

OSCAR ROBLES: Good morning, Oscar Robles from LACNIC.

LOUSEWIES VAN DER LAAN: Lousewies Van der Laan, ICANN board.

GORAN MARBY: Goran Marby, CEO, ICANN org.

---

RON DA SILVA: And I am Ron da Silva, also ICANN board and ASO appointee. At this point I'm going to least -- "Rhonda." I love the transcript. Thank you. I'm going to hand this over to John, who is going to talk through these three points we brought today for discussion.

JOHN CURRAN: Thank you, Rhonda. So, first item up is we have only three discussion topics between us and the ICANN board. We have a fairly wonderful relationship and so it's not surprising we don't have a lot to talk about, but the first one we bring up is ASO IANA relations. The relationship between the number community and the IANA, now known as the PTI.

And I guess what we'd like to communicate is that that's going extremely well. We've always loved the service that we get from the IANA team within ICANN, and now we're busy doing the post-transition activities where we are working on reporting to make sure we have a reporting format that makes sense and that Elise and company can generate happily and that we know what's on, and also I'd like to report to the board that we are working -- we've stood up our -- we have a review team, as called for in the MoU. We have stood up that IANA review team and put initial people on it and they're actually having a meeting later this week, and so that's going well and I just want to report the post-

---

IANA transition implementation tasks are well underway. That's it.

Any questions? Discussion?

RON DA SILVA: Just looking around the room, I don't see the IANA team in here, unfortunately, but I do see their boss, so perhaps this is feedback he can bring back.

GORAN MARBY: To be honest, I don't really understand the question.

RON DA SILVA: It wasn't a question. It was a statement of -- yeah. Go ahead, John.

JOHN CURRAN: It was an update saying things are going well.

GORAN MARBY: I'm probably used to asking questions -- answering questions now, so I don't understand the compliment, so then I say "Thank you very much."

---

[ Laughter ]

JOHN CURRAN: I am sure you're used to updates that say everything is going fine, don't worry. That's what this is.

GORAN MARBY: I'm very happy for that.

JOHN CURRAN: Moving on to the next item, the ASO independent review process, as folks are aware, the MoU between ICANN and the numbers community, the ASO MoU, calls for us to periodically review much in the nature of the other reviews that other SOs and ACs do.

We did one of these five years ago, and we have been working now to launch our next one. I'm successful [sic] to say that that has happened. We issued an RFP for independent reviewers. We assembled a scorecard. We looked at proposals. We did actually work with the board -- I'm sorry, what's the board review or Board Governance Committee that --

---

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Organizational Effectiveness Committee, John.

JOHN CURRAN: Thank you. We actually did cycle back to the board committee, organizational effectiveness, to make sure they knew the process we were using, and we have selected an organization to do our review and that's ITEMS. I know some of those people are in the audience now and they're actually here at ICANN doing interviews to help them do the ASO review. And so, if they approach you and they say that's what they're doing, don't be surprised if they want to ask you some questions about what you think of the numbers community or the numbers community acting within ICANN as the ASO. And that's underway and we -- later this year we should have a report to give back to the community.

Again, situation normal, going well.

RON DA SILVA: Rinalia actually chairs the organizational effectiveness committee and is overseeing -- is -- is monitoring the reviews for all the different parts of the SOs and ACs and is particularly interested in this topic and I thought I'd give her an opportunity

---

if she had some specific questions or comments with respect to the ASO review, to give her the floor.

Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you, Ron.

My committee worked with the NRO EC to basically look at the processes that they have reviewed, also to probe and challenge a little bit, to sort of like test the rigor of the method that they are using, and I think my committee was satisfied with what they have and we are happy that the process has moved forward. We're looking forward to the results of the review.

Also, if we could get feedback in terms of what's working and what's not as the review process is ongoing, as well as at the end, that would be useful, because what my committee does is to look at continuous improvement of the review process, and we know from past experience that it's not a perfect process and it's iterative, and so I think that as we move forward, we are -- we will gradually introduce innovations in how we do the review process itself.



---

So, we would like to learn from the ASO review, and I think -- my expectation is that the ASO review will be the fastest review done.

So, I'd like you to fulfill that expectation and we look forward to the results. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Any comments or questions?

Let's see. Filiz?

FILIZ YILMAZ: Filiz Yilmaz. One thing about the overall reviews which nicely ties up to the whole -- we were just reminded yesterday that we are -- we have 11 reviews this year overall at ICANN, and this is one of them, clearly.

There is -- there is some kind of worry, I think, that is shared by the broader community, as well, that we need to be looking at streamlining a little better where overlaps are, where the -- the scope is overlapping and where implementation matters are overlapping. We need to make sure that neither the score- -- neither -- nor the implementation methods, first of all, should be contradicting to each other. That would be quite disastrous for

---

both ICANN staff and for the community because that means iterations back to, you know, what was the intention why we did that.

The other thing is the bandwidth issue. I mean, we are all in this together. We put time and effort, and the (indiscernible) methods will just consume from both volunteer time and staff time, where in an ideal case we better streamline and be more efficient using the resources too. Thank you.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

Ron? Thanks. I'd like to respond to Filiz's comments, and I would like to say that the board and the organization share the same concern. We are interested in streamlining, making the process more efficient, and making it also learning-oriented so that we move towards more effectiveness.

People like to say that there are 11 reviews in the pipeline. That is correct. But there are two separate clusters of reviews -- organizational reviews and the specific reviews -- and they are a little bit different, and the time requirement in terms of community bandwidth are also different, I would say.

In terms of organizational review, it's the organization under review that has to pay more attention to it. In terms of specific

---

reviews, it is the review team. And then the community, as a whole, has to pay attention when the public comments are open, as well as if they are interested in participating in the interviews itself.

So just to affirm that we share the same concern and we will work towards making it -- the overlaps disappear, making it more efficient and effective. Thank you.

JOHN CURRAN:

Excellent points, both, and the -- part of the interview process is to help hear from the community issues like these that should be looked at and what improvements can be made. We do have some interesting things, like I get to introduce myself over and over again as chair of the Number Resource Organization, which you know in ICANN as the ASO, and I don't mind doing that, but certainly that's something I mentioned.

So, we may want to look at terminology so we -- we have more clarity in these things, and that -- I'm sure -- to the extent that you want to provide input, find the two folks from ITEMS. McTim is one and -- I'm sorry, I'm dropping the name on the other one, but anyway, yes, they are -- they are here and easy to seek out. If you need any help, find me and I can get you to them to provide input into the ASO review.

---

RON DA SILVA: Anybody else on the review?

No?

Moving on to Item 3, Internet technical health.

JOHN CURRAN: So this is a project that comes out of the strategic plan in ICANN as part of the overall -- looking at the health of the Internet identifier system. I believe the office of the CTO is the one running it. David's hiding here somewhere. And we were approached by his team to see if we could come up with metrics for measuring the number registry and the health -- healthiness of it. Sort of how do we know where it's going.

It's a little challenging because while we do show up here, there's actually 41,000 organizations that participate in the numbers community in a dozen meetings in other places all around the world through the five RIRs, and so we actually -- we need to take that project back to them to find out what they think is a healthy Internet number registry, and so we have the staff of the RIRs doing an initial draft for discussion and then we're going to bring that later on, and we'll bring that to the community and we'll have that discussion and re-engage back as part of the overall project here.

---

I just want to let people know while this is a number community initiated project, we're happy to work with ICANN, to the extent that ICANN wants reporting and coordination, so we're bringing it back to our community to try to get that done.

GORAN MARBY:

Thank you. I mean, to be -- to be fair, we understand that you have some work to do with this and we're so happy for the cooperation. It shows that the three pillars that we actually are together with the protocol community can work on very important things where the goal is actually bigger than just one of the pillars, and that makes me filled up with a warm and fluffy feeling, even in the morning. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA:

Any other comments or questions on this topic?

No? Good.

I had a late-coming question that came in from Khaled, who doesn't want to get up and ask it so I'm going to ask on his behalf, and that is: The NRO's involvement in the CSC, interest in or lack of interest in, and then maybe contrast that with the separate review committee that the NRO has.

---

JOHN CURRAN: Just to make sure I understand the question, it's the NRO's involvement and interest in being involved in the CSC? Is that the -- PTI's customer standing committee?

The NRO will have a meeting later this week, so I can actually bring that particular question to the team to discuss.

I will say that we're on the record with our IANA proposal as saying we favor contractual measures for accountability and we have a contract for IANA services, and so it seems to be double-dipping to be -- have a contractual measure that has a formal escalation process but then also be somehow in the customer standing committee.

I understand for organizations that may not have such a clear reporting why it makes sense, but we'll need to discuss it.

In the past, we've said we don't see a need for it, but I can -- I will -- you know, we have to get in a room and talk about it to come to a definitive answer.

The number community, five CEOs, we can't do anything without unanimous consent, so we'll take that up as an action item.

---

GORAN MARBY: For adding to that, we have started up a discussion also how we can make the contract somewhat practical as well, so in this case we see you as customers, and therefore it's important that we also go away and add onto the practical reporting and so on from my responsibility point -- perspective, and that's something that we reached out to you to set up meetings to have. And that is, of course, something we will do -- we have to do transparently as well, but I'm looking forward to having that discussion going forward. Thank you.

AKINORI MAEMURA: Akinori Maemura. Akinori Maemura.

I think it is very good from the NRO side to explain and introduce your review committee process.

JOHN CURRAN: Happy to do so. So as part of our contract for IANA services, IANA numbering services with the -- with ICANN, we have our own committee that is an IANA review committee for reviewing the performance of the IANA, and it is a committee that's seated by members of the community and they are supported by our staff who are on the committee, and what we do is we're working on report- -- as I said, reporting formats, and that's an

---

open function, meaning they'll be having open teleconferences that anyone in the number community can dial into to discuss the performance of the IANA numbering functions through the -- through each period.

So, as we go and get quarterly reports and annual reports, those will be able to be available and the review committee can look at those and have a teleconference to discuss.

This is the way we make sure that the IANA numbering services function is -- even though the customer directly is the RIRs because the IANA numbering service is about issuing blocks to the RIRs, the RIRs serve the entire numbering community and so we want to make sure that the performance of the IANA is visible to everyone.

There is actually a meeting -- my ICANN calendar foo is a little low -- a meeting tomorrow, I believe, of the first IANA review committee, and that's on the schedule. That's open to everyone.

AKINORI MAEMURA: Thank you, John.



---

RON DA SILVA: Nurani?

NURANI NIMPUNO: Thank you. I just wanted to add to, that as I'm the chair of the review committee, just to clarify two things. One is that the review committee is the community's voice in this process. But our role is really only to advise the RIRs as the contract between the PTI -- it's between the PTI and the RIRs.

And then the second part was also that we -- the reason that the review committee was put in place was really just to create one additional avenue. That doesn't stop anyone really from any of the RIR communities to voice their concerns throughout -- in their committees to their RIR as well. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Very good. Thank you, John, and everyone else.

Goran, you have something else on this?

GORAN MARBY: Just as a clarification because as a holder of the contract, the contract is actually between the RIRs and ICANN. Doesn't matter in practice, but it's good to point that out.

RON DA SILVA:

Good. We have exhausted our discussion topics, and I have one more to throw in. This is my own. It's not from Khaled again.

[ Laughter ]

So, the board regularly has dialogue with all the SOs and ACs about better ways to engage with the community and whether that's in a ccNSO meeting -- outside of the three ICANN meetings I'm talking about -- or whether that's a GDD meeting or something else.

In the numbering space, we specifically have been encouraging board members to attend RIR meetings which, of course, is where all the policy takes place in the numbering space in the regions where they live. So, this is a way that we've been trying to get Board engagement into specifically the numbering space.

And I just want to take a moment to thank you for accommodating the board members as they show up at the RIR meetings. We've had some very successful engagements with the leadership of each of the RIRs and also with the leadership of the community in the RIRs. And just recently we had at the APNIC meeting, Akinori was able to arrange with the executive team through Paul and also the board a nice exchange with the folks there in the APNIC region at the APNIC meeting. So, that was good.

---

We've done similar things at the ARIN meetings and at the RIPE meetings. Looking forward to doing something similar -- where's Alan -- at AfriNIC down at this end. And then, Oscar, hopefully we will have the same at the LACNIC completing coming up. So, thank you. We appreciate accommodating whatever board members we can have at these regional meetings and the opportunity to engage there. Recognizing that here, you know, this is the one ICANN meeting where the whole ASO is present. The ASO generally meets once a year face-to-face, and they pick one of these ICANN meetings. Glad to see everybody here and welcome to your face-to-face meeting concurrent with ICANN. So...

Yes, Paul.

PAUL WILSON:

Yeah, Paul Wilson from APNIC. We've just come actually from the first of our meetings this year, which was in Vietnam. So, I want to thank Goran for attending that meeting with Akinori.

It's always been good to have ICANN directors and ICANN staff as well at our meetings. Asha Hemrajani has joined us in the past, as well as other ICANN directors. And I agree, it's a really powerful way to keep the interaction going.

---

A couple of other things that go on, we've had -- I think, like, as for the other RIRs, we have regular reports from ICANN, particularly from IANA. So, Elise Gerich is a regular at our meetings and gives an IANA report. If not, it's Naela who I see here as well giving us updates for our community from what's -- of what's happening at IANA.

So, over the last couple of meetings, one of the topics of interest, which has been very useful to have, has been the new arrangements with the PTI, which I'm still getting used to saying instead of IANA. That's been a useful update for our community from ICANN of what's been going on in the implementation of the IANA transition.

Another -- another really nice example of the interaction and opportunity for interaction that I find here is the -- in coming to ICANN meetings, on the other hand, is there's something called the APAC space, the Asia-Pacific space, which is convened by Jia-Rong or one of his staff from Singapore. And that's another very useful way where we've got an interaction between the -- well, in my case between APNIC but, in fact, as part of the Asia-Pacific community coming into the ICANN meeting. So, that, again, is another very useful and appreciated way that we're these days working more closely with ICANN. Thanks.

---

GORAN MARBY: On the same cooperative note, I'm very thankful for the speaking notes I received from you when it comes to talking about I.P. version 6. I think it's been very helpful. I think we together -- we have an obligation together to share what things that could be important for the bigger community outside both of us. And I notably took them in all my meetings I had, and I also referenced to the particular RIRs. And I actually think it has kind of improved the accountability for all of us together. So, thank you very much for that.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Filiz Yilmaz, ASO AC chair here. I'm following your trend here with the echo, Cherine. Scared myself for a moment. Scary.

So, I wanted to -- I want to pass my appreciation here on the record as well. I'm not an RIR staff. I'm not an RIR leader. I'm not part of the RIRs as -- from any legal point of view. But I feel -- not feel, I am a representative from the community really here. And that's why I'm standing here right now.

And I think it's also very important to recognize the efforts coming from our side and that we also recognize how important that the ICANN board, especially Goran and Lousewies, put that effort to engage with the RIR communities as well, not only the leadership as the NRO but also the people within the

---

community, the community leadership kind of on that level, engagement. It's very much appreciated and recognized.

And, in fact, we want to extend our invite from the community side to all other board members, too. I know, Ron, you come from that background, and it comes natural for you. But if you can bring the other ICANN board members and introduce them us, I'm sure we will be continuing finding more common ground. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA:

Cherine.

CHERINE CHALABY:

While we're on the thank-you trail, I wanted to thank Axel and RIPE NCC in particular who came and attended one of our board retreats and spent a good hour or so with us giving us a good education at what RIPE NCC is doing and shared with us some of their top-of-the-mind issues like IPv6 and anti-abuse and what the working group is doing.

And we felt that this was really a good way also to engage not just for us to attend but whenever we are in a particular region for managing directors to come and share with us what's top of the -- our agenda.

---

On that note, if we have time, I wouldn't mind an update from Axel following up on the IPv6 rollout as well as the outcome or where are the working group on anti-abuse. That would be a useful update. If we have time, that would be great.

RON DA SILVA:

Perhaps we'll put that after these two questions we had for the NRO. That also gives Axel time to think about what he wants to say.

[ Laughter ]

So, we went through the three items that the ASO brought before the board. And we had a couple of questions that we had sent to the ASO in advance. And, John, if you could talk to these now.

JOHN CURRAN:

Actually I'm going to answer very briefly and then probably ask some other folks up here to chime in.

The first one is: To what degree is your membership actively participating in the CCWG-accountability Work Stream 2? What could the board or ICANN do to facilitate participation and timely completion?

---

So, we're -- we have been involved in the cross-community accounting -- working group-accountability Work Stream 1 activities heavily and when Work Stream 2 started out to follow on for some number of those working groups.

We actually have people who are participants from our community who are engaged in -- I think almost everyone has one or more members from our community. So, we are involved in the ongoing accountability work, the SO/AC accountability, the staff work, the diversity work going on, the transparency work.

I guess in terms of level of engagement, again, the accountability work stream is predominantly about making sure -- if you look at the groups, predominantly about ICANN accountability issues, making sure that ICANN and its SOs and ACs are accountable to the community. And we also have our basis as contractual accountability, which means that these aren't quite as driving issues as they might be for some of the SOs and ACs in ICANN who are going to be relying on these mechanisms for their accountability. So, we're involved. We are tracking and participating.

I guess, Filiz, do you want to pick up or say anything more?



FILIZ YILMAZ:

Sure. Filiz Yilmaz, ASO AC. Well, you covered it very well, John.

What I want to emphasize here, this is an important track for a lot of reasons. It's continuation of the previous work. Of course, we now have to adopt and review various procedures that will be coming out from that work. And it was very important for us, we kept a group of representatives to this working group in a way that we can capture all those items. So, the skill set was very important for us. So, we have -- accordingly have a very diverse group appointed to work. And I want to emphasize that we have Jana (saying name) from LACNIC region and AfriNIC region. We have staff members, Michael and Athina, so that the RIR really -- how would you, procedural stuff was also very well covered. And we have Izumi Okutani still as a continuation from the previous work group. And that was very important for us. We believe they are participating really well.

We just had our meeting on Sunday, very long one, going through their findings. And they are keeping us up to date, too. So, I believe we are on a good track.

Fiona, do you want to add a few things on that or -- from our other reps as well? Or, Athina, if you would like to say a few words.

---

FIONA ASONGA: I think when it comes to participation of members of the community, there have been also other than the five appointed by the NRO and ASO, there's -- I have observed participation of other community members in the discussions. So, I think we can comfortably say that there's quite a lot of interest within our communities as well, at least from -- I know the African community members very well. And I have seen a number of them. I'm sure there are others from the other regions, just that probably because I've never engaged in -- with the NRO communities in those regions, then it's hard for me to identify. But from the African region, from the AfriNIC community, there are -- there are about ten of us who were involved in the discussions. And from time to time, we will consult and try and see if we can firm up on some of the positions, even as you come to the ASO for input.

RON DA SILVA: Anybody else on the Work Stream 2? No? John.

JOHN CURRAN: So on the second question, what policy/advice issues are top priorities for our group, that's an interesting question. So, recognize in the five regions there is policy development underway in all five. And we actually -- we generally do a report

---

on that in the ASO about some of the more active threads. We do know that there's work going on and cleaning up transfer policies, and there's work going in each of the RIRs. There's work going on in -- recently there's been policies initiated in terms of accuracy issues which has come from the law enforcement community. So, there's work going on in the RIRs on a regional basis.

In terms of global policy, we've actually been pretty quiet. Global policy is the policy that the IANA uses to issue number blocks to the RIRs. And I guess that's something we've delegated formally to the ASO AC, the advisory committee.

I guess, Filiz, is there anything going on in global policy?

FILIZ YILMAZ:

No.

[ Laughter ]

It's a simple answer. I think the last one was five years ago. However, as you mentioned, we are at a time we may see samples of more efforts for coordinated policies, global coordinated policies, where, of course, our advice may be relevant and also the feedback from our regions and the

---

engagement here to keep the ICANN community in the loop, too.  
Thank you.

AKINORI MAEMURA:

Akinori Maemura.

I would like to point out that transfer policies are not to be raised as the global policy because the transfer policy is for the NRO's resource to transfer to the other RIR, meaning it's completely under the RIR. So, there's no possibility to be raised to the global policy.

But with that, you know, we have a very good relationship between the ICANN and the RIR because we had the GAC's public safety working group. There are a lot of RIR people involved and they have a discussion.

Based on the discussion from the GAC's PSWG, we are now having the effort by the law enforcement agency -- agency to bring up policy -- I mix up. Sorry.

I started to read the transfer policy, but I'm talking about now -- something, the (indiscernible) accuracy.

Okay. Now, my first point is the transfer policies are not really discussed the ICANN forum. But if you have a very good

---

overview regarding the transfer policy in the RIRs, that's really good to have here in the ICANN meeting. Do you have any very good summary for that?

JOHN CURRAN:

I could do that at a high level. We are quite -- the RIRs are quite aware and supportive of the work going on within the GAC public safety working group. They come to us looking for information, details, so they can understand how we operate and how it affects their public policy requirements that they have. And, in fact, now we've seen some of the coordination work they've done within the GAC public safety working group has led to them working in individual RIRs to work on policy proposals so that the RIR registry suits their needs. That's something that will be worked out in each region because the needs and the requirements and legal aspects and the countries involved are different in each region. But we have a very strong working relationship, and it's going quite well.

RON DA SILVA:

Paul, did you have something?

PAUL WILSON:

Yeah, I do. Thanks, Ron. Paul Wilson.

---

This isn't exactly a policy advice issue, but it's more an operational issue of interest to all of us. And that's something that I think the RIRs have all worked on individually within our communities. But it's on an important time frame now and that's the root zone -- the key rollover, the DNS key rollover that's coming up.

And it just occurs to me that with the time line now rolling on that the RIRs do have a potential to reach out to our communities more effectively and more urgently in the next -- in the next period of time. As John mentioned, I think we cover 41,000 or so network operators. They're not normally well-represented in ICANN. They are users of the DNS infrastructure for sure without necessarily being involved with the names and the ICANN issues.

But I think for us to be able to reach out to those people in a coordinated way over the next period leading up to the root zone, the key rollover could be quite an important thing for us to be considering working together with ICANN on at this point.

RON DA SILVA:

Thank you, Paul.

---

Any questions from the rest of the board or any other comments? Filiz?

FILIZ YILMAZ:

On this point, the top priorities issue -- Filiz Yilmaz, sorry, for the record, ASO AC chair.

I just wanted to mention this is not a globally coordinated policy issue. This is not a global policy. But there's an interesting example happening right at the moment at the RIPE community. We are looking into our own accountability measures and trying to, you know -- have a review. And then we are in the process of scoping out. It's interesting, we have -- we are keeping RIPE NCC out of this. Our scope is really towards the community's self and our own accountability measures.

If you are interested, we will talk about this on our ASO AC public session tomorrow, Wednesday, at 5:00 p.m. And it is also well-documented, and you can participate, if you'd like, our calls and mailing lists on the RIPE fora. Thank you. I just wanted to bring that up.

RON DA SILVA:

Axel.

AXEL PAWLIK:

To reply to Cherine. No, I very much appreciated the opportunity to come and talk to you. And I think that is something that should be replicated throughout the regions. It's a good practice.

With regard to anti-abuse and the activities, I think my colleagues have talked to that already. What we do see over the last year or so is a significantly increased engagement on the policy front with the law enforcement community and we've seen very similar of the same proposal throughout the regions. Now we are working -- our staff is working to guide the -- the proposals with policy and then how it's done in the RIPE region. And so, I'm very positive about this. It's the good thing that the company is engaged and they were engaged in -- quite strongly in the Madrid RIPE meeting when they saw that. So, it's a very good thing.

With regard to IPv6, its roll-out is continuing. Its -- we have -- we have a vast majority of the RIPE members -- RIPE NCC members have their resources. We do see increased policy work on the remainder of the IPv4 pool that is very intense in terms of mailing list activities. But as we all know, the availability of legacy space and general IPv4 space that is available for transfers, for instance, is reducing and so yeah. IPv6 still is the future, we think. And we see developments that support that.



---

CHERINE CHALABY: Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you, Ron. I just wanted to say that I appreciate very much what Paul Wilson said earlier about the outreach that the RIRs could do to reach out to those users of the DNS infrastructure to support the KSK rollover. I just wanted clarification on whether that is just for the Asia-Pacific region or does it apply to all regions of the world.

JOHN CURRAN: That happens in all regions of the world. We do have reports, for example, when there are events like that, they come and speak at our meetings and -- so I know they speak at the ARIN meeting, I know they have been to other meetings, RIPE, APNIC, where if ICANN's DNS team needs to point out something very important like that, then it's something that we've certainly helped facilitate. Remember that in every region it's a little different. Sometimes the operator forums are joint, sometimes they're separate from the RIR, but we make sure that the operators are aware that you're doing some event like that.

---

RON DA SILVA: John, anything else on policy?

JOHN CURRAN: Nothing else.

RON DA SILVA: Good. We've exhausted the agenda. I'll turn it to the floor briefly. Anybody? Yep, I see one. Kevin, find a microphone.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Kevin Blumberg, ASO AC. So, we've talked about IPv4, we've talked about IPv6 a bit, and then there's the third doc, ASN numbers, autonomous system numbers. And I thought it was appropriate to give a little update because there's actually been an interesting development in that. A couple years ago we expanded the pool from two byte 065,000, et cetera, up to four byte and there were a number of technical hurdles that the community batted back and forth. Recently an RFC was standardized, RFC 8092, which allowed for larger compatibility within the ASN space, and that was through people within the numbers community getting together globally to realize that a solution was needed and making it happen. That is actually -- again, the ASN area is a very quiet thing. Most users never know

---

what an ASN is. They do know what an IP number is, but continued work within the community is going on in that area.

RON DA SILVA: Thank you, Kevin. Brajesh. Microphone is coming.

BRAJESH JAIN: Brajesh Jain, ASO AC member from APNIC region. This is from our legal community or the law enforcement. One of the concern that raises for the legacy IP addresses. So, which I think we need to do a little more for that. Some addresses there is no track of who's the owner presently or in the past. Thank you.

JOHN CURRAN: I'm happy to speak.

RON DA SILVA: Do you want to comment on that, John?

JOHN CURRAN: Yeah. So, it's one registry, and so at the end of the day all the entries have someone who's responsible for them, someone who has the rights in the registry for updating that. Now, in the case of each RIR, the community in that region sets the policies

---

by which the resource holders in that region, including the legacy resource holders, receive services. For example, in the ARIN region, all legacy holders can get in and update the database. They don't need to contract with ARIN. You can set your DNS entry. You can update your contact information and you don't pay anything if you're a legacy holder.

Now, if you want services that didn't exist since ARIN was formed, you want new services that the community has paid for developing, you become an ARIN member. And so -- and you sign an agreement for ARIN services. That's our region. In other regions, there's different services that are provided to legacy holders, people who pre-date their registry without any contracts. And so, it varies by region. But I'm not aware of a region where a legacy holder can't update their contact information. So, if you're a legacy resource holder and you received an address block in the dawn of time, Jon Postel gave it to you on a -- with an email or a notecard, you can still go in and work with your RIR to update the contact information. A lot of legacy holders don't do that because they don't exist. The organization that received the resources went defunct and there was no clear record-keeping of the successor and there's no -- there's no safe way to reclaim those resources and not know you're harming a party.

---

RON DA SILVA: Yes, Paul.

PAUL WILSON: I think, as far as I know what John has just said, I think summarizes pretty -- pretty much what all of the RIRs are doing in some form or other. I don't think it's -- I don't think it's quite true that legacy resources aren't registered. If there's any resources which are -- particularly resources which are in use but which are not registered I think every RIR would regard that as a pretty serious hole in the registry which we would want to know about and do something about. But it's quite true that there are legacy resource holders registered from long ago who in some cases may not even be using the resources on the public Internet and where the -- where remaking contact with those people in order to update records is a non-trivial thing. Because although they really do hold the resource, it's not possible to simply reclaim it because you can't happen to get in touch with someone. But as I say, there's a big difference between resources which happen to be registered and are unused and resources which actually appear in the routing table. And once they appear in the routing table, then the correct registration becomes much more important because that's the point at which some misuse or some problem in relation to those resources might appear on the net and that's when, you know,

---

the registry comes into its own in terms of people being able to contact the resource holder. So, we do take that very seriously. And I think -- I'd suggest that certainly APNIC and I expect all the other RIRs have got a mechanism for notifying us of incorrect or unavailable contact details, and as I said, particularly for resources which are in use in the routing table. Thanks.

RON DA SILVA: Thanks, Paul. John.

JOHN CURRAN: Yeah, Paul very much pointed out, an address block that was assigned to an organization in the past, long ago, that's not being used and routed doesn't actually matter. It's fallow. It's when it gets routed that it could potentially cause a predicament in the Internet. And so, it's particularly important to work with ISPs to make sure they know if someone says that they're using an address block that indeed it's an address block assigned to them. And it's that that we're worried about, is how does an ISP realize that someone coming to them saying, I'm using this address block, I have the rights to do that, is actually legitimate. And the only way they can do that is by having a registry. That's what the purpose of the registry is. So, we encourage ISPs to do the due diligence when someone comes to

---

them to make sure that indeed it's current in the registry and then they know it's safe to route it by that party. Some IPSs do that. Some ISPs do not. And we don't actually control the ISP behavior. All we can do is create a registry that allows that to happen.

RON DA SILVA: Thank you, John. Question from the floor here. Owen.

OWEN DeLONG: More of a comment. Owen DeLong, Akamai, speaking only for myself. There are actually two classes of unregistered resources. There's the free pool and there's bogons. Bogons include RC 1918 and all the other, you know, multicast class E and all of that that we're all familiar with. The free pool is obviously pretty small at this point and getting smaller every day. That's probably a good thing. Die v4, die, in my opinion. V6 is the way forward and, you know, we just don't have enough identifiers in v4 for it to continue to be useful. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Thank you, Owen.

---

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yeah. Aftab Siddiqui, for the record. The echo is really bad. Sorry. So, during the APRICOT we had a discussion on the IPv4 legacy space, and according to some of the independent researchers, not from the RIR, there are -- the biggest problem is the class C because we are talking about the pre-SIDR era when there was a class A, class B, class C available. So, there are around 30,000 class C legacy slash 24, and at least half of them are not used. So again, it's just an independent research, not from the RIR. So, there are some legacy blocks available, but they are so small that nobody cares about it. So -- but most of them are still routed, and it's still coming up and being registered to the respective RIRs. Just a comment.

RON DA SILVA: Great. Thank you for that. And with that, we are out of questions and at the end of our agenda, so thank you very much. Appreciate it.

[ Applause ]

[ END OF TRANSCRIPT ]