

ABU DHABI – ALAC and Regional Leaders Working Session Part 1

Saturday, October 28, 2017 – 09:00 to 10:15 GST

ICANN60 | Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

ALAN GREENBERG: Five-minute warning till we start. [AUDIO BREAK]

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: It is Saturday, October 28th, 2017, in Hall B, Section A (ALAC) for the ALAC and Regional Leaders Working Session, Part 1; 09:00-10:15. [AUDIO BREAK]

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: We still have a few minutes before we're going to start, but if I could kindly, as this is the ALAC and At-Large Regional Leaders session; could we please ask the ALAC members and regional [Participant speaking in French]. [AUDIO BREAK]

ALAN GREENBERG: It's pretty much -- [Participant speaking in French] -- ALAC and regional leaders preference at the table; we are short of seats. [AUDIO BREAK]

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Sorry, just a reminder; essentially, ALAC and regional leaders at the table at this stage, please, cause we're going to run out of space at the table. Thank you. [AUDIO BREAK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi. Could we please have all ALAC members, current and incoming -- please, all RALO leadership at the table, please? We do need to give precedence to those -- again, ALAC members, the 15 members, current, incoming, and all regional leadership, current and incoming, and liaisons please, at the table. Now, we do have a full room, and we will also be seeing people from the APRALO region here, and interested parties. Thank you. [AUDIO BREAK]

ALAN GREENBERG: May I ask everyone to, please, take their seats so we can begin? [AUDIO BREAK]

Please, everyone take their seats at the table if there's a seat, preferably for all ALAC and regional leaders, and everyone else, we have a packed schedule, and we're already running late. [AUDIO BREAK]

May I ask staff to start the recordings and go through the initial process?

YEŞİM NAZLAR:

The recording has now started. My name is Yeşim Nazlar. I'm ICANN staff, so welcome to everyone to Abu Dhabi. I would like to make some reminders. So, first of all, I would like to remind everyone because we have recording and will have transcriptions, please, always use your microphones when speaking to state your names, and it's also very important for our participants joining remotely. And, as you know, we'll have live interpretation for French, Spanish, and Arabic, as well, and English, of course.

Please don't forget to speak at a reasonable speed for our interpreters. It's really important that they understand everything you say, so they can interpret correctly. I'm just checking if I'm missing anything. Oh, also, the tent cards -- of course, my babies, tent cards. So, don't forget to use your tent cards, please, if you want to take the queue. So, what you can do is you can just, you know, make it stand like this; so, we'll make sure that we can note your names in the queue. And this is all from me for now, and over to you, Alan, if you would like to add anything, or would like to start, please.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. First of all, welcome all to the first At-Large meeting of ICANN60, in Abu Dhabi. We have a rather packed and, hopefully, interesting schedule for you this week. I'd like to start off with a couple of comments. First of all, you'll now notice it's 12 minutes past the hour. We have, in the past, had a tendency to start meetings somewhat late, and let breaks run over. We are really going to have to try this time not to. We have many packed sessions, the timing is tight, and if we don't start on time, we are simply not going to hear everything we need to hear, and perhaps, more important, not have a chance to have any interaction and talk.

So, it's difficult, but we really, really need to try, and I have asked a number of the leadership of ALAC to act as -- there's no politically-correct term, but they will have cattle prods with them and try to ensuring everyone is sitting at the table at the right times. We do expect people to be at meetings pretty much all the time, unless you have your doctor's note, and if you're not at an official At-Large meeting, but you feel it's necessary or appropriate to be at some other meeting instead, please let At-Large staff know where you are. It, perhaps, may resemble kindergarten, but we do take attendance.

Interventions sometimes are somewhat problematic. We will generally start off with giving people the discretion to simply

make sure their interventions and questions are short. If necessary, or perhaps, depending on the timing at the beginning of any session, we will start with a timer. The timer will be on the screen. Can we ask staff to show us what a two-minute timer looks like? It'll show up in a moment.

We will generally start with a two-minute timer. We may go down to one-minute if times are short. We will or will not, depending on the situation, have an alarm at the end, but we really do ask people to respect the timing because otherwise we are going to, No. 1, run over and No. 2, not allow everyone else to speak. So it's inconvenient, but there's no other real way to make sure that everyone gets a chance. I don't know if I have any other general housekeeping. Heidi says she wants to say something, and I can't hear what she's --

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. Welcome, everyone. Our security team has asked that we do note that in the UAE, that photography, we will need to have people ask for consent before taking people's photos, in particular if there's going to be any tagging on social media. So, just if you could please take that into account. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. That's what you're not allowed to do, Olivier. Thank you for demonstrating. All right. Soon as I find my next piece of paper. This is a transition meeting, as we have incoming -- new people coming into the group, and people leaving. We also, for a number of reasons, have quite a large number of visitors -- visitors not the right word -- a number of additional travelers who aren't normally with us because of several different programs that have been initiated.

I'm going to call out a number of people, and if you can -- a number of groups, I'm sorry, thank you -- and if people can just wave or stand up, just to make sure that everyone has some idea of who we are; and, anyone who's currently on the ALAC, right now.

Evan is putting up his hand; Evan hasn't been on the ALAC for several years. [CROSSTALK] Oh, you're covering for Garth, okay; a virtual Garth. All right. Incoming ALAC members, that is those who will be seated at the end of this meeting. And we have Ricardo.

Pardon me? [CROSSTALK] Introduce themselves? We could. Now, incoming ALAC members, let's see if you recognize who you are, and please, state what region you are from.

JOHN LAPRISE: John Laprise from NARALO.

ALAN GREENBERG: Ricardo. You --

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Sorry. Ricardo Holmquist from Latin America and Caribbean.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Just a note. To speak, you have to use a microphone, otherwise, the interpreters can't hear you, and some of us are hard of hearing and can't hear you anyway, and it doesn't go into remote participation. To speak, you have to push the button. If you don't unpush the button when you stop speaking, then the whole system breaks and horrible things happen, so don't do that; like I do all the time. Do we have anymore incoming ALAC members?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes, Hadia Elminiawi, from Egypt.

BARTLETT MORGAN: Bartlett Morgan. I'm here from Latin America/Caribbean.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Okay. Sorry, this type is very small. Regional leaders, we have a couple of regional -- current regional leaders, put up your hand. This is secretariats, chairs, vice-chairs -- lots of them. Any new ones in the room, who will be starting at the end of this meeting that we might not recognize? [CROSSTALK]

We have Eduardo at the end. Eduardo's not quite new to this group. Eduardo's been around for only about 10 years or so. However, Eduardo is from Puerto Rico, our next host, and I'm assured they will be our next host, even if they have to get on the ground themselves and string the wires. And, delighted to see you here.

Unfortunately, one of our ALAC members, Javier Rua, is not here. He, unfortunately, is in an area where although he gained water and power very quickly, it then went away very quickly, and then he says it did it five more times. And he just didn't feel comfortable leaving his family in this situation, and it's quite understandable.

Incoming, any other incoming? We have -- Heidi is looking at Mohamed and saying we have Glenn coming in. I can't see where Glenn is; there he is. Okay. Glenn is sticking around in a different position, and we have Olawale over there, who's

coming in as secretariat in EURALO, and Mohamed, incoming chair of AFRALO.

[CROSSTALK] No. [CROSSTALK] Thank you. Who else do we have? We -- thank you -- we have a number of people -- for a variety of reasons, some of our regular people have not been able to come to this meeting, and if we knew that ahead of time, then we have replaced them. So, I'm not going to call out everyone, but we have about five or six people here who we would not normally have travel slots.

On top of that, we did a special budget request this year to allow people who are active in working groups, not necessarily At-Large working groups, but ICANN working groups, but on behalf of At-Large to travel to meetings. We have a pilot program where we got two additional slots, so we hope that will grow over the years, but it's the first time that we have been allowed to explicitly bring workers in who are not officially appointed to a position. The rationale is that they would learn a lot from being here, since they are already active and, hopefully, the overall meeting benefits from them being here also.

It's the start of a new program. I find it very encouraging that we've been funded for this, and I hope to make it a success. So, those of you who are here on those terms, please be active; we are expecting to have reports from people to understand exactly

what you have gained from it, and what you have contributed because we do want to be able to demonstrate that this was a good program, and they should do more, and fund us for more, as we go forward.

Another program we have this year, which is a follow-on to a previous one, is the Global Indigenous Ambassadors Program, and we have two people -- do we have a roving mic.? We have the person on the program and the mentor on the program to introduce themselves, if we have a roving mic.

MATTHEW R. RANTANEN: Hi, Matthew Rantanen from Native Public Media, also Southern California Tribal Chairmen's Association in the United States, California; and I'm the Global Indigenous Ambassador Program Fellowship mentor, first round. It's great to be here.

GEOFFREY BLACKWELL: [Participant speaking in different language]. My name is Geoffrey Blackwell. I'm an enrolled member of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation. I also work with Native Public Media and with the National Congress of American Indians. It's quite an honor to be here and be involved this time, my first time, one of two global indigenous ambassadors.

I think I should probably disclose that I've worked on issues of information and communications technologies with our native nations in the United States for the past 20 years, both within our tribal nations and as an advocate within our federal government. I helped our federal Communications Commission found our office of Native Affairs and Policy, and for five years was the first chief of that office. It is quite an honor to be involved. [Participant speaking in different language]. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. You'll notice one of the things we're good at is creating names where it takes longer to say the name of the position than it is to introduce the person and what they're going to be doing. I'm not sure if we should be congratulated or punished for that, but we seem to be really good at it.

Have I forgotten to introduce anyone? Maybe our liaisons; do we have new liaisons or just liaison? Oh, sorry. Will our liaisons please wave their hands. We have Cheryl, who's GNSO; Yrjö Lämsipuro, for the GAC; Maureen, who is also an ALAC member for the ccNSO; Mohamed, for the Customer Standing Committee for PTI-IANA; and there should be one more; Julie Hammer may not be here, she may be in an SSAC meeting.

Okay. And we are talking about yet another liaison, we'll talk about that later, if it happens. All of these people put in unending hours of work, so thank you all, especially those of you who take double-duty, and not only act as liaison, but do other things in parallel with that; or triple-duty for some people, or quadruple-duty for a few.

We're now going to go into the next part of this meeting, which is -- it's essentially, a whole bunch of small items that we want to cover, and they're not going to each be very long. We won't have a lot of interaction on them, but they're things, I think, that are important as we go forward. The first one, and I've already implied that -- I may introduce staff. I will not introduce staff; I will ask staff to introduce themselves, quickly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, everyone, I'm Heidi Ullrich. I'm the lead for this group, and for ALAC support.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, everyone. My name is Silvia Vivanco. My title is Manager Regional Affairs.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Yeşim Nazlar, senior At-Large support.

ARIEL LIANG: Ariel Liang, policy analyst.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Evin Erdogan, support coordinator.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We also -- this is Heidi; we also have Gisella Gruber, who you will all get to know. She will be your lifeline for this meeting, and we also have Mario Aleman, who is actually outside, I believe, doing the booth. He's the lead for taking care of the booth and working with the ALSes. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Do I have permission to go onto the next section? Thank you. Apparently, I don't have permission to go onto the next section. Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. The booth was just mentioned, and yes, there is an APRALO booth that is just on the right here, a bit further down. You can pick up brochures, and the first thing you need to do is to evangelize this place, so go over to people and talk to them about APRALO,

about the other RALOs, as well. So, you know, we need to get good people in this community. That's all. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Anyone else with an intervention? I could go away for half an hour; you can just keep on doing it. Thank you. The next item on my agenda is the aims and objectives of this meeting. I've already implied that. There's a lot going on. We're trying to guide you to some of it, but take a look at the agenda -- everyone in this group, whether you're here as an ALAC member, incoming, outgoing, regional leader, or any of the other people we have attending this meeting; this is an education opportunity.

This is a time to learn and try to understand what's going on within ICANN, what are the hot topics; don't miss it. If you're doing your job right, at many of the time slots, you'll find there are two or three options of what to go to; so, yes, you're going to have to pick and choose, but do use the opportunity well. I will focus, a little bit, on some of the cross-community works. Can we have the cross-community display on the screen, please?
[AUDIO BREAK]

The cross-community list -- list of cross-community sessions. Olivier wants to speak.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thanks very much, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. While staff is trying to find out what they're looking for -- just to mention for the new comers --

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse me. Olivier, for a moment; they were sent out last night to staff. There were several attachments that were sent out for display. Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So, thanks. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. We have a lot of newcomers in the room, and you might wish to connect to the Wi-Fi, you might not be aware, but the details are all at the back of the card. There's ICANNwba, which has got the encrypted network, and then this, the other one, that's not encrypted. I think it's something that people usually look for, but it's right at the back of your card with the password and everything. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: The same by the way goes in, I presume, all of the hotels that you're in. They have an ICANN rooms' network that is in parallel with the hotel's network. It is fast. It has no restrictions on it, so

that's probably the network you want to use, instead of the hotel's own network. All right. We'll flip around while we're waiting for this. One of the other items on our agenda for this morning is, as some of you may know, there is a GNSO PDP going on on new gTLD subsequent procedures.

You're all familiar with the fact that ICANN, over the last number of years, has authorized a large number of new generic, top-level domains, and we are looking at procedures for what to do in the future. There were a huge number of problems and issues that arose during the first process and these are all being revised. The next session, today, is, in fact, going to be looking at four of the topics related to subsequent procedures that are of particular interest to At-Large. So, we'll be getting a somewhat in-depth view of where things are today in the procedure.

One of the issues that is relevant to new gTLDs is, to what extent, can we use top-level domains that relate to geographic locations, country names, city names, region names; most of you are familiar with the dispute that occurred in the last process that is not yet resolved on .amazon.

There is a new work track being set up, Work Track 5, called generically Work Track 5, within the GNSO PDP. We have decided at an earlier meeting that we would appoint five people; now, anyone can join that PDP section and work. There is no

restriction, but we have decided, similar to what we have done in other classes of meetings, to appoint five people, one per region, to be our official conduit into and out of that Work Track.

We'll be going through that process and the recommendation from the At-Large leadership team is that we do a call for volunteers, and we will go through our normal selection process to identify who the people will be, representing each region. In addition to that, we feel it is very important that we not only represent regions in this group, but represent ideas.

There are some people within At-Large, who I would suspect, believe very strongly that a geographic name should be the -- I'll use a strong word -- the property of the country or countries, or regions in that area. There are other people who believe that we should have a relatively open market, and that someone should not be prevented from using a name just because it happens to be a geographic name somewhere in the world.

And there are an amazing number of character strings that are geographic names somewhere in the world, and of course, we have many strings that are geographic names many places in the world. And it's not clear how this group will proceed, but I think it's important that when the results come out that all of the At-Large views have been heard. And so, we're going to look for active participation.

And that's just giving notice that, unless there is a strong objection from the ALAC, we will use the standard selection process to go forward. And if anyone does have a strong objection, please make it be known by email, or personally, in the very near future because we will be starting the process quickly.

All right. If we can look at the screen or on your Adobe Connect, if you're on; there are a number of sessions that are called cross-community sessions that I want to bring your attention to, and if I put on my right glasses, I can actually see them. I don't know what happened to my glasses. All right, I'll fake it. You have them on your screen, and yours are larger than my screen.

All right. Where are we? The first one is on Monday, and if we can -- okay, yeah -- the first one is on Monday, which is scrolled off my screen, and it is on the cross-community working group on accountability. Again, if you've been around ICANN for a while, you know associated with the transition of IANA from under contract to the U.S. Government to, essentially, under ICANN's overall responsibility, there was also a significant accountability effort to change the bylaws of ICANN to make sure that the community was ultimately in charge.

Those bylaws were enacted last year, but there were a large number of issues that were deferred, not being necessary for the

IANA transition, but being necessary for ICANN overall. There will be a review of all of those in some depth in a cross-community group on Monday. We will also be talking about them later on today. But I strongly advise people to consider going to the other one, and you'll get, perhaps, slightly different perspectives on some of the things, and it's important that you understand how ICANN is changing.

They include issues like jurisdiction, where does ICANN live, what laws do we work under; diversity; human rights; transparency, within in ICANN; and transparency and accountability of ACs and SOs. Our lives are going to change because of the rules that they're making. And so, it's important people are familiar with these.

Sorry, where are we now? If we can scroll down to [inaudible]. Monday, there is -- now we're on Wednesday. [CROSSTALK] Sorry, I'm being given a course on how to use Adobe Connect. Okay. I actually have them on a piece of paper. I think I'll use this one.

There is a session also on Monday -- Olivier, I have not opened the floor for comments yet. Olivier's a past chair of ALAC. He feels there's a certain privilege associated with that. We do our best to make sure he knows there isn't. I will open the floor in a minute. There's a session on DNS abuse reporting. DNS abuse is

where people do things that are not nice associated with domain names, or in conjunction with domain names. It's one of the really important issues that At-Large has to be concerned with because we are here representing interests of users, and these things matter to users. I won't go into the details, but you do want to go to that session, I believe.

There is a session on operating standards and other cross-community operating standards for specific reviews. Specific reviews is a buzzword that ICANN uses to talk about reviews on accountability, transparency, WHOIS, security stability, and associated with new gTLDs' consumer trust, and confidence in the TLDs. Those of you who have been on reviews or are going to be on such reviews, cause you'd like to; you probably want to consider attending that session.

On the other hand, in parallel with it, there is the At-Large Outreach and Engagement sub-committee, and several other meetings that have some relevance, including a tutorial on how root servers work, and how the DNS works, so if you're not really familiar with that. That's a good opportunity also. So, lots to choose from at that point.

On Thursday, we have a session on the GDPR. GDPR are European regulations that have to do with privacy and of key importance because they, essentially, say that our current

WHOIS system will not be allowed going forward, and you may find some interest there.

And lastly, a session on jurisdiction. We talked about that a moment ago, of what laws should we use -- where should we reside; it should be interesting. I won't say anything more. And we have a couple of speakers who feel compelled to talk about cross-community sessions. We have Olivier, and then, Tijani.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, speaking. And regarding cross-community sessions and, especially, the accountability one; it might be worth people coming to this afternoon's meeting, which will be the one of the ALAC Regional Leaders Working Session, Part 5, that has a whole section for the whole meeting on ICANN evolution, which will provide updates for each one of the work streams of the accountability track, and that's where we'll be doing our work to prepare for the cross-community sessions. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I think I mentioned that already, but thank you. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: [Participant speaking in different language], Alan. Tijani at the column.

INTERPRETER: Thank you. Tijani, speaking.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: -- interpretations system, we have Arabic interpretation.

No, it was just to tell you that there is an Arabic text interpretation. So, I come to my intervention. I will attend three cross-community sessions. The first one is the community feedback on concluding CCWG-Accountability Work Stream 2; the second is WHOIS, RDS and GDPR; and the third is jurisdiction challenges for ICANN. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Tijani. Any further comments on the...? We have Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. I just to make sure all the old chairs in the room intervene and make your life a misery, that's all. No, that was a joke for the record, by the way. Just on the cross-community session on

operating standards and specific reviews, I would like to encourage any of you who are interested in helping us build a more effective and efficient model for the organizational reviews, as well. Alan, you mentioned the external reviews, but you didn't pick up on the particulars of the internal reviews that are done.

Now, this is a public comment that is on at the moment. A current draft was published recently, I think Monday; Monday, week back. The public comment will be running, I think, till end of December, or something along those lines. But what we're hoping to gain at this cross-community session is feedback from you, particularly important from my very biased point-of-view; we've all just been, as ALAC and At-Large and Regional Leadership, through a dare I say, less than successful and rosy experience with external review processes, and it was very much from that and other learnings from other reviews that this draft has been put together.

So, it's very important, unless you're in another one of the meetings; if you can come along and contribute, there's no such thing as a bad idea when what we're trying to do is build a better model, so just wanted to raise the awareness on that, as well. Thank you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Cheryl. I didn't mention that its organizational reviews are part of it cause I wasn't aware of that. But I'm only one of the speakers there, so... all right.

The next the item like to do is, if we could, we put on the screen the board questions. Now, we are meeting with the board for an hour and 15 minutes; that's our longest session we've ever had scheduled with the board, and that is happening, I believe, Tuesday morning; first thing Tuesday morning, and it does start on time.

We have raised several questions for the board, and I will not read them. They're on the Wiki. I hope everyone knows where the At-Large Wiki page is for this meeting. Maybe we want to put the URL on the Skype if you don't know it. It's the same page that points to the meeting agendas, which is really you're bible for this week because as things change, and they will, that's where they get posted. The formal ICANN schedule doesn't tend to get updated.

So, we have a number of questions. One of them is on geographic regions and the first part of that question is essentially pointing out that there's an ICANN bylaw requirement to review what countries and territories are in each of the five regions, or indeed, if there should be five regions, every three years. We have carried out one such review in the 18

years of ICANN's life; and it's not finished yet. The board has not acted on it yet. It is of some importance to At-Large because it gives individual countries the ability, if everyone agrees in the country, to move regions -- assuming the board approves the recommendations.

Is there anyone here who would like to take this item and question the board -- Olivier? Olivier is the one who suggested this item. Were you willing to take responsibility for this one and present it to the board?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I am absolutely happy to take it. I was going to ask one of our Armenian ALSes if the matter was still worth being on the table. I did ask by email, but I -- because our prompting was prompted with that.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Okay. Lianna Galstyan speaking. ISOC Armenia, and also APRALO vice-chair, you sent that email as an informal message, so I will let you know our position. I don't think it's on the table because you said that we need confirmation and support of government and all stakeholders, so I'm not sure at this moment the government is ready to support this idea.

ALAN GREENBERG: We're not making a commitment that we will change, but we would like the ability to do it, and clearly in a seven-year process, I believe -- Cheryl, is that -- somewhere like seven years, we have spent that amount of time creating these recommendations -- is the board going to act on them?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you, Alan. Olivier, speaking. So I believe that absolutely frames our question correctly, and so, I will be happy to ask the board, and I shall frame it in this way, so as no, we don't have commitments, but we really think this should move forward. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: And Cheryl would like a brief intervention.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. As the current still, because we haven't wrapped it up and put it away, chair of the entity that did this review -- talk about being long in the tooth -- I can assure you that it has been with the board for some time, but Rob Hoggarth and I, at this meeting,

are also prodding, promoting, and poking at the necessary board members, whose job it is to take it through.

So, I quite welcome the question to be asked, but rest assured, we are all trying to get it completed. It's right towards the very end of completion, but just not quite done. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

In the synopsis of the question, I do point out that ignoring the fact that this is not our eighth review of regions, as it should be -- if you presume that the delivery date of the last report is the key -- we're starting a next review in a year. Cheryl, I trust you're ready to chair that, as well. Based on the three-year requirement, we're starting the next review next year. Are you ready to chair that one?

The second part of it is regarding Work Track 5 that we just talked about a little bit earlier. That is, we're going into this trying to get agreement from the GNSO, ccNSO, the GAC, and the ALAC, on a single set of rules for whether we should use and under what conditions can we use geographic names as generic TLDs. We are hoping that that process will come out with an answer where all of us are hugging each other, and we all have come to agreement on how to move forward.

I'm not putting really high percentage, probability on that succeeding, and at this point, according to what the ccNSO has said, and the GNSO, if we don't all have agreement, then we revert to the last set of rules, which we know were problematic. And I'd like the board's on how they are likely to handle that, or are they just crossing their fingers and hope someone else will fix the problem? Is there anybody who would like to take this item and discuss it? Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, if I -- it's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking -- not to take this item, but just as a question; the last set of rules is the one for the basic applicant guidebook, or the amended applicant guidebook? Or is that even proceeding this --?

ALAN GREENBERG: The answer to that is not 100 percent clear, but I believe the rules we're using is whatever the final rules were as amended along the way are what it is doing, which essentially says certain things are prohibited all together: country names, capital city names, three-letter codes, two-letter codes; but we know there was also an objection process and various opportunities to -- one of the issues associated with the new gTLDs is the intent was to give predictability to applicants.

So, when they applied, they would know to what extent they were doing something legal or illegal. The whole dispute process destroys that predictability, and that is the question, can we bring back some level of predictability? Is there anyone who would like to present this issue? Christopher.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Thank you, Christopher Wilkinson for the record. Greetings, everybody. I'm actually not volunteering to present this to the board, though I reserve the option of asking a supplementary question when the time comes. You should all know that the At-Large committee has asked me to act as the co-leader of this project, on behalf of the At-Large community, together with co-leaders from GNSO, ccNSO, and GAC. Fortunately, it turns out that we all know each other quite well from years gone by.

But, my main point now is to draw your attention to the fact that in the last couple of days, ICANN has published the call for volunteers to work on the working group addressing these questions. I think it's very important that we have a good cross-section of our members, especially from regions where the non-ASCII scripts, where IDNs, and probably under-represented from the first round of new gTLDs; it's very important from my point-of-view that we have those points of view present in the discussion. Not to put too fine a point on it, I've been exposed to

this issue during the last decade, but it has to be said, primarily, from the point-of-view of the furciferous groups of countries, which all use the ASCII codes; that's all very well, but for the future, I think a question like this has to address the global aspects. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Christopher. We did talk about that earlier, and we have decided we are going to be appointing people to represent each of the regions, in addition to the fact that other people can volunteer on their own. If you had volunteered to present this question to the board, I would have vetoed it because I think it's quite inappropriate for a co-chair to predict failure, or even question the option.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: I would certainly never predict failure, but I'm not volunteering to present the question for exactly the same reasons that you have put forward. However, it would be extremely useful to all of us if the regional delegates that you have spoken of could be identified, and I would certainly take the initiative to invite an informal meeting among them.

ALAN GREENBERG:

That is a subject we will be working on, but right now, we need to finish reviewing the board and the other issues before we cover this. If there's no one else willing to do it, I will do it. I see no other hands and volunteers. Then, we'll mark down me.

The next set of questions is the post-transition ICANN; we've gone through a process of putting in place huge numbers of bylaw changes, the bylaws have gone up from about 60 pages to 200 pages or so. We've now gone through a year of living through it. Much of ICANN is changing its processes in line with these, and I thought it was reasonable to ask the board how do they see it, what do they see as the positives, what do they see as the negatives?

Would anyone like to take that question? We have Tijani. We also have Sébastien, who I believe suggested it. I'll let you two work together and decide either to do it jointly, or -- Sébastien. I will assign Sébastien to decide to talk to Tijani and decide if they share it or how, and they will tell me before the meeting who's doing it, or if both are doing it.

The last topic is on the At-Large Review. It's not a major discussion item. Going forward at this point, as some of you may know, but perhaps not everyone, we have gone through for the last year or so, year and a bit, the At-Large review. It resulted

in a set of recommendations that were, from our perspective, not particularly satisfactory.

We rejected eight of the 16 recommendations, and of the remaining eight, we said we'll accept them, but implement them in different ways, or in a few cases, we don't need to implement cause they're already done.

The board Organizational Effectiveness Committee accepted our answers, and I guess the informal feedback we've gotten is they understand why we did this, but that puts them in a rather awkward position because normally what they will do is take the results of what we say we're going to implement and not implement, agree or disagree, and pass it on to the board for their stamp of approval, and for us to implement.

But we're now in a situation where there are no recommendations from the reviewer, which we are actually going to implement, not exactly as specified. They have come up with what I thought was a rather innovative and ingenious proposal to take the issues that have been identified by the external reviewer, and extract from our document what we say we're going to do about the ones that we believe are relevant cause some of the issues we've said are wrong. We don't agree with them at all. And they would then create a mapping

document on issues to what we say we're going, essentially, rewriting recommendations.

And that's been done by staff, by the MSSI group within ICANN, the Strategic Initiatives Group, and going to the Organization Effectiveness Committee I have a small problem with the committee reviewing the document written by staff about us that we haven't seen.

Now, surely, it's not within our right to rewrite it, but I believe we should see it, and if that is still the situation on Tuesday morning, then I intend to make a short comment to that effect. We're not expecting that comment to change anything, just going on record that in the interest of transparency, if they are talking about us; we should have seen the document ahead of time.

Olivier, please, go ahead. A short intervention; we're not using timers, but very short.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Returning to topic 1(b), the PDP on subsequent procedures for geographic names. I've spoken to a couple of people from LACRALO, and Alberto Soto is ready to present this question to the board if that's okay with you. This is a topic that particularly

important for the Latin American region, due to the high-profile case that is currently going on in that region. But it wouldn't be linked to that place, it's just asking the question.

ALAN GREENBERG:

All right. We didn't have any volunteers, and I put my name down for it. I'll talk to Alberto offline. It's very, very important that whoever presents this question, not present an issue, or not try to direct the outcome, but simply asking the question; how's the board planned to react? Especially, given that the high-profile one from Alberto's region is currently before the courts. This is not something that anyone is going to discuss or talk about, and I think we need to make sure that we're not looked like we're taking sides. Individuals may take sides. At-Large cannot at this point.

And we do have people within in this group who feel strongly that the other side should win. So, that perhaps is -- the term in English is the poster child -- the example of the really difficult situation that we're dealing with that the Work Track 5 may resolve, or may not. So, Alberto and I will talk prior to the board meeting.

We have two questions from the board that we have been asked to address. One is what are the key topics/issues that we're

currently working on. I have no trouble summarizing those. I would like to work with somebody else on the ALAC to make sure I have the right summary, and if someone else would like to present that, I would welcome a volunteer. It really doesn't look good if I do all the speaking at these meetings. So, is there someone who would like to work with me, who's aware of what's going on, who would like to take responsibility?

[CROSSTALK] I would like an ALAC member. Anyone else interested, ALAC or regional leaders? Sébastien said he would be willing to work with me on that. Fine. If Sébastien is already doing another item, then we may want to reallocate it, but Sébastien will work, and I, putting together the list; we may try to recruit someone else to do the speaking. John.

JOHN LAPRISE: No, I'll volunteer as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, John. You, me, and Sébastien should get together to create the list, and John will present. I presume we're noting this as we go along.

The next question is what are the concerns of your group, us, with respect to GDPR? Now, my concern, and I will be very clear,

is we have a PDP that it is ongoing. The fact the GDPR has raised highlights, is likely to light a fire under that group. It's still not going to complete and have its results implement in time to meet the penalties that will be imposed on contracted parties, as early as next May. We, of course -- you don't know what the penalties are until the privacy commissioners rule and that might be -- and in it goes to court -- it might be five years from now before we know whether we got it right or not.

Their question is, what are our concerns? My concern is what is ICANN doing about this in real substance? We know there is a problem, we know what we're doing right now is likely in conflict with the law, what is ICANN doing? Now, I can propose a number of things; I think ICANN should be acting as a community sounding board for contracted parties to look at best practices, and I think ICANN should be convening a group like that.

I honestly believe the board should be, at this point, being prepared to enact policy cause the board is allowed to enact policy in an emergency, pending the PDP, and to be commissioning someone to write some software to do tiered access, so in a very short period of time, we can be compliant. And that's what I would like to see. I don't know what other

people -- anyone else like to have any input on this right now?
Christopher. Short please, we only have a few minutes left.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Yes. Christopher Wilkinson for the record, again. Hi. First of all, this is a rather naïve question, if the board didn't know, I think they haven't been reading their files. Secondly, we have on record a very specific comment, which I'm grateful that you all agreed to; a very specific comment on the WHOIS waiver policies and procedures, which did include references to the GDPR, and in any case are quite clear about the direction in which the board should go on GDPR.

And finally, I agree with you very strongly, Alan, it is really quite scandalous that this is coming up in this way at this point in time. ICANN has been warned and informed at several different levels, not excluding by myself, that this was coming for, I would guess, a year or two. And we can take this question as you like, Alan, but I think the background to it is really a degree of frustration and almost annoyance that the board should feel it's appropriate to ask such a naïve question at this point in time. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Christopher. Look, ICANN has ignored this issue, you know, the colloquial expression is “has buried its head in the sand”, and ignored the very privacy commissioners, who are now having their rules enforced, for years. We know that. ICANN senior officers, now, admit that for the first time. There’s no point in re-raising this. We have a problem that has to be solved or addressed, and that’s the focus I want. There’s just no point in pointing fingers right now, and saying, “You should have done something earlier.”

I came into ICANN 11 years ago, just as the last WHOIS initiative was dying because they couldn’t come to agreement. This is not a new issue. We know what the solution is. We have to get it done, and ICANN has complex policy processes. So, I certainly have an opinion, does anyone else have an opinion of specifically what ICANN should do?

Sébastien, please go ahead. Sébastien, would you like to move up to the table so I can see you? But not now; please speak.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Hello. Hello. So, I’m going to wait a little bit, we have some technical problems. Please. Can you hear me? Okay. All right. Very well. Thank you. Can you hear me? Is it better? I don’t know. Thank you very much. Sébastien Bachollet, ALAC

member, representing Europe. I would like to make one comment to mitigate what Alan just said.

This discussion arrived at the board when I was a board member, and one of the fundamental reasons why I acted so much at the board level so that we get out of the WHOIS and talk about the RDS is exactly why the community took it in a certain way; they said, “Well, there is a expert group, we’re not much interested in that. We don’t want to go into that.”

That’s why we are in this situation, and I do not believe that you can say this is because of the staff, this is the fault of the board; this is everybody’s fault. We have to work very hard and we have to find a solution quickly. I feel that the true tests by Verisign and affiliates that are being done now can bring a quick answer to the problem, if we go in that direction, why not? But think about what we said; this is not worth saying this is that person’s fault, or that group’s fault. We are all in the same boat. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Sébastien. Yeah, pointing fingers at this point, no matter which way you plan to point them, and there’s plenty of pointing that could go on -- it has no merit whatsoever. We have

a problem, we have to address it, we have to address it expediently.

All right. Do I have a volunteer who wants to present the issue? I'll take it upon myself at this point, but if anyone else feels inclined, let's talk about it before Tuesday morning. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Alan. Tijani, speaking. After Cherine have made his blog about the priorities of the board, I have read them, and I have a little bit of a problem. I know it is late to pose another question for the board, but I think it is important because they have one of the priorities, which is improving cost-awareness, and financial stability.

If, for the [inaudible] things are clear in their text, for the budget ownership things are not clear, and I think we need to ask a question about it, if it is possible.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I would suggest we defer that one to raise with Lianna and Rinalia, at this point. Raising something with the board, which we've not given them a heads up and is a relatively complex topic, where there's actually a lot of work going on -- we're also in a position where our five-year strategic plan is up, and we

have to renew it, and it's quite clear, the process we've gone through before is not acceptable. We're past the time of talking about pillars, and need to actually focus on what we have to do in a situation where the budget is likely contracting. So, it's a really important topic, but I don't think we can raise it in this forum.

All right, one more thing. As you all know, or as many of you know, this is Steve Crocker's last meeting as chair of the board. He has been on the board for five years as a voting member, a bunch of years before that as the SSAC liaison to the board, and this is his parting gift. We have a journal that is -- can someone hold it up? Does anyone know where it is? Gisella has it. Fine.

We have a journal that is not here, which it is imperative that you sign, and put your inscription in. I'm presuming at some point it will be made available to the people who have to sign it. Thank you. We are presenting it to him, Tuesday morning, so there's not a lot of time left.

I see a hand waving over here, and -- in one moment -- so, please do that. Think of what you're going to write, so when you get it, you actually have something to write that's interesting. He's done an amazing job at many levels, and I think we need to note it and say thank you. And Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alan, for giving me a few minutes. I know that we're pressed for time, and I would like to just introduce something that is important to us, as a RALO.

As you know, this week is also the week of our -- the APRALO general assembly, and as this session has been a welcome for incoming and outgoing members of the ALAC and of the regional leadership, I would like to also extend a welcome to our general assembly participants, who have taken time out to come to our meeting and to be a part of an engagement session with us, and I think that's really appropriate.

If we had more time, I would like introduce many of the 40-odd participants who are here from the 29 countries in our region. So, I hope that you will all make them welcome, as well. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Maureen, and my apologies for not giving you a chance to do that during the introduction phase. Any further thing? We are just about out of time. We have a 15-minute coffee break. Does anyone know where the coffee break is? [CROSSTALK] Just outside.

We will be reconvening and starting on time. We have about six guests who are coming in to speak to us about the new gTLD process, and I think we owe it to them to be back and ready so they can speak. And we will be starting close to on time. We have four different topics to cover in the 90 minutes. It's going to be very tight. So, thank you very much.

[CROSSTALK] Heidi has asked, can we do the NomCom specifications; there was another item on our agenda today. We have run out of time. We will try to squeeze it in somewhere else. Thank you. We reconvene in 15 minutes.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]