

---

ABU DHABI– Customer Standing Committee  
Sunday, October 29, 2017 – 13:30 to 15:00 GST  
ICANN60 | Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

BYRON HOLLAND: This is the ICANN60 Customer Standing Committee meeting on the 29<sup>th</sup> of October, 2017 from 13:30 to 15:00 in Capital Suite 07.

Shall we begin to call us to order? Yeah, there is a bit of a – how did that happen? Well, welcome, everybody. Hope everybody is getting acclimatized to the time zone and the heat.

We have a relatively straightforward agenda today and the agenda really is to go over and review the presentation. We're going to be making some version of this a number of times to a number of groups over the following week. It's been circulated to us. We haven't had a lot of feedback and commentary on it but given that each one of us is going to be presenting to some constituency somewhere over the course of the week, I want to make sure that we were all comfortable with it that it meets our needs and is also of course correct. So that's the primary activity for today's working session but also wanted to open the floor just to see if there are any other agenda items that should be raised.

Given that we had a meeting a little more than two weeks ago where we actually did our monthly business in terms of

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

reviewing the PTI report, etc., it does make this working session fairly specific to the meetings this week.

I did want to add one other item and that's more just of a heads up that as our first year anniversary is essentially upon us, just a reminder that in the charter, the Chair has to be re-elected every year, once a year. So at our next regular meeting in November, only a couple of weeks from now, that will definitely be on the agenda. So I just wanted to flag that as a reminder because it is very soon upon us.

Any other agenda items that people would like to attack on here? Seeing none, hearing none, then we'll just carry on. This will be a bit of a page flip but given we are at the one-year anniversary, we have done a lot of work, there is still work to be done and then process. It's important, I believe, that we deliver a clear and consistent message across all of the various communities. So that's why I wanted to actually take the time to make sure we are all 100% comfortable with the presentation material.

So with that, we'll get right it and like I said, do a page flip to make sure that the message is clear and the material is correct. So I think we've all had a chance hopefully to at least skim it but certainly, the idea is to provide a broad overview and then narrow it down to the actual specific work items completed and

---

outstanding issues as a general flow of the document. So we open with effectively a reminder of what the actual mission of this committee is because it's certainly important to remind people of what a real agreement is and of course also what is not.

So carry on, whose got the controls here? Okay. Thank you.

What our mission is and then who we are and this, I think is also just a reminder that not only are there the four members and six liaisons who have been participating for the year, but there is that one other potential seat out there. Nobody has been appointed to that but there is a potential for a fifth member on the CSC.

Our core responsibility is our monthly activity and certainly I think we've had very good participation over the last 12 months, both of the members and the liaisons and most meetings we've had, most of the committee members and as we know, our regular business is reviewing PTI's report and then issuing our own CSC report. This, a lot of the material here, of course, we're very familiar with but the idea of this document is to make sure that the community is both reminded of what we do and also brought up to date in terms of what we've done. So this is just a reminder of the core work that we do and I think the final bullet

---

point to is that the SLEs were developed by one of those CWG Design Teams, [DTA]. Next slide.

Here, we get to the summary of PTI from a metrics perspective and here, we'll come to the final bullet point but essentially, we go through some of the high-level activities, the range that PTI's overall performance has fallen into between 95.9 and 100. I think the key bullet point here is the final bullet point and this of course is a subjective judgment but the judgment here based on all of the months that we have reviewed is that that assessment for the year as a whole has been excellent.

So clearly, if we just go back for a second, I want to make sure that we're all okay with that as members in particular, also liaisons because we started out the year down closer to the 95.5 but certainly over the last four months, it's been at 100. So my subjective assessment was that overall, we could rate it at excellent. Are we comfortable with that? Any objection to that? Okay. We'll carry on.

Next point is that community views are also being sought. We don't just work on isolation month after month and then at least on an annual basis that we want to seek community views, both go out and report out to the community but then also seek input or feedback from the community in terms of conducting a basic consultation.

---

So this week, given that we will be presenting to our respective communities and a number of others, will allow us, I think, the opportunity to seek some of those views as well, not only are we delivering a presentation but it gives us the opportunity to have a conversation and to seek any feedback or input. We will come to the survey in a moment but it's a reminder of this requirement for us but also an opportunity to seek input and feedback. Next slide.

This in part is in a sense to highlight the role that we have here in terms of any complaints or performance issues. I think this is something we've talked about previously but it's very important to highlight the fact that we have a role but our role is specific to persistent or systemic issues, not individual complaints and as we communicate with our respective communities and others, I think this is an important point to make. If anybody has a particular complaint, they don't come to us, they go to PTI but over time, if we notice any systemic issues, that's where we would become involved and we would be involved through the Remedial Action Procedures. Trang.

TRANG NGUYEN:

Thanks, Byron. This may be a little bit of a technicality but instead of "complaints," should it say "escalations"? Because essentially, it is escalations that are escalated to the CSC. PTI

---

actually receives and processes a lot more complaints on a daily basis and not all complaints are brought to the CSC's attention. I think those complaints are not addressed and are brought to the President of PTI's attention are then –

BYRON HOLLAND: The escalations.

TRANG NGUYEN: Correct.

BYRON HOLLAND: So that's a fair point. So if we look at the first bullet, customer complaints are to be addressed by PTI, right? CSCs try to prevent it from becoming involved in individual complaints, also fair, all right. So CSC's role is limited to... So somewhere here really would be the fine tuning of that language around our role being limited to escalations.

TRANG NGUYEN: Right. [inaudible].

BYRON HOLLAND: Can I just ask you to bring the mic around?

---

TRANG NGUYEN: Sorry. Yeah, I think the adjustment could potentially be made to the second-set bullet point there and then perhaps to the third bullet point where it says PTIs receive two complaints. As a matter of fact, they receive a lot more complaints to escalations than actually has been brought to CSC’s attention.

So maybe just adding, has received two complaints that were brought to CSC’s attention, just adding that little phrase there, is that what you are suggesting over that work?

BYRON HOLLAND: So let’s deal with the sub-bullet point 2 first and then we’ll go to the individual complaints, the third bullet point because I think we want – I think here your point is valid so we need to convey the notion that we deal with escalations where we’re potentially at the very early phase of seeing a systemic issue because it’s an escalation and I think we need to capture that sentiment in that second sub-bullet.

I’m always loathed to wordsmith in a group setting. Let’s take the essence of your comment and then I’ll work with Alan and Bart and we’ll fine tune that second sub-bullet to reflect the notion of escalation versus individual complaints. Bart, go ahead.

---

**BART BOSWINKEL:** For consistency probably is because the CSC and PTI have had a discussion for used language that's in the CSC findings report as well because I just [looked] it up and it talks about escalations and we go back to that language and I think then there is consistency between the CSC report and the presentation.

**BYRON HOLLAND:** Thanks, Bart. Good suggestion. So we'll take that offline and fine tune that to make it more consistent with the other language.

Moving on to the third bullet point. This was just to reflect what has happened at the CSC level, so perhaps it's just PTIs receive two escalations then as opposed to specific complaints.

**UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:** I like Bart's suggestion of going back to the CSC reports and [pulling] the language from there to reflect that.

**BYRON HOLLAND:** Okay, agreed. Any further comment on that? Any objection? Okay. So we'll do that and edit as well as any others that we see through the balance of the presentation and we are going to have to turn it around within the day. Alan and Bart? So maybe we can –



---

BART BOSWINKEL: [inaudible]

BYRON HOLLAND: We can stick around after this meeting. Okay, on to the next slide.

So this just provides some further detail in terms of how it works for the RAP. It's not my intent to actually read every single bullet so I would ask you to take a look at it. But effectively, it's just walking through the process and I think the key here is the third bullet point where the RAP draft recognizes a three-level escalation procedure and then makes the note at the bottom that it is a draft and right now in terms of its status, it is with ICANN Legal. I don't know. Do we have an update from Sam Eisner on that?

BART BOSWINKEL: I just received so I'm forwarding it. I'm in the process of forwarding it so it's too early but there are some comments on the IFO procedure, SLE change proposals. So I'll forward it and then we'll see what you can do with it. So you will have a wrap up meeting on Thursday as well to have a further discussion around it.

---

BYRON HOLLAND: Okay. So as far as this presentation goes, this is correct and that's the status of it right now even though we don't have some comments that are hot off the press. Elaine?

ELAINE PRUIS: So I can imagine that the second to last bullet point draft the procedures being reviewed by ICANN Legal might raise some questions as to why is ICANN Legal providing input here? Do we have a nice talking point answer to why they are involved?

BYRON HOLLAND: [Alan]?

[ALAN]: Really, this flowed out of the conversation I have with Bart. The actual procedures have to be approved by the PTI Board so it's not just the question of Elise. So the thought was that it's likely that ICANN Legal would get involved at some point so the thought was let's just get them involved early rather than having a debate over words because the lawyers are better at phrasing that as well. So it's more just as a useful step in the process.

BYRON HOLLAND: Elise?

---

ELISE GERICH: Just to add to what you said, [Alan], when it says ICANN Legal, basically ICANN Legal, this is just a set of foundation, provides legal services to PTI. It's part of the shared services. So it's not as if we are going to ICANN. It's a shared service that we use as PTI and it just happens to be provided by ICANN.

BYRON HOLLAND: Elaine, does that address your concern? I think that's a good point. I mean, essentially it was a pre-emptive move since we know we are going to interact with them that we saw their feedback earlier in the process rather than later in the process and the shared services is a sub-point to that that may be useful should the debate or discussion go any further. Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: The way it is presented here and just looking at it, it turns out to be a big point if you just indent it because at the end of the day, it's part of the whole approval process but there is a review by the legal service.

BYRON HOLLAND: Sure. That actually changes the tone and tenor of it if we put draft or procedures, that bullet point as a sub-bullet of the point above it. It makes it just look like it's part of the process of getting to the real point, which is PTI approval.

---

Okay? Does that make sense? Any objections? Okay.

**BART BOSWINKEL:** Just for clarification, I received feedback on the SLE procedures and not on this one. So I'll forward you the comments on the SLE procedures.

**BYRON HOLLAND:** Thank you. All right, next slide. So the next point starts to roll into how we interact to the community and how we inform the community so this just highlights some of the ways that we do it – dashboard report, monthly reports, presentations to the community, which we'll be doing a number of them this week and then of course the customer survey. So this is a good opportunity to highlight and merchandise the survey to our respected communities, especially the registry operator group and the ccNSO to really try to highlight this as a great opportunity for them to provide feedback but in order to do that, they must participate. Naela?

**NAELA SARRAS:** Can I make two points about the survey, please? I think we talked about at least adding maybe a bullet point saying the service provided by a third party called [Ubiquity], which we just

---

wanted people to be familiar with that name. Oh, it's in? Okay, thank you.

BYRON HOLLAND: Yeah, it's in here.

NAELA SARRAS: I should have read ahead.

BYRON HOLLAND: Yeah, it's only with the 2017 survey because this is going to roll right into the 2016 survey where I provide some results and then the following slide is 2017 survey where we make that.

NAELA SARRAS: Fair enough. Thank you.

BYRON HOLLAND: But it does probably highlight the fact that anybody delivering this presentation or for those of us who will be delivering it, make that point right here. This is 2016. We are going to provide some results and then that sets you up for three slides from that where we refer to 2017.

So if we go on to the actual next couple of slides, essentially, it highlights the results from 2016, which I think the message here

---

is fairly straightforward that in spite the number of people that the survey goes out to, which in 2016 was 540, the feedback or the response rate is relatively low at 15%. I will go to the next slide and break it down a little further.

ccTLDs and gTLDs are broken out separately. Clearly, we have some work to do in a CC community and we'll be taking the opportunity to make that point in ccNSO but in the G space at 5%, they are not that far ahead of us in the CC community so I think it's a good opportunity to make the point here as well. I think we can just leave it at that that this is going out, this is important and people are providing a response. Maybe silence gives consent and everybody is happy but even if that's the case, there's an opportunity to say, "No, we're satisfied with the current trajectory, carry on."

So regardless of whether you are happy or not, please participate and then we can roll into the next slide, which is 2017 and this is where we can take the opportunity to remind that the 2017 survey has been sent out. It's done by a third party vendor. The deadline for responding has been extended to November 17<sup>th</sup> so there's lots of time for anybody in our respective constituencies to participate. We could make the point, anybody delivering this can make the point do it right now. In fact, it will probably be a good idea to just have the link right here, if we

---

could just add the link right in it, make it extremely simple for people. Is there –

ELAINE PRUIS: I think the link is going to be customized for each person, right? Because you can't use my link, right?

BYRON HOLLAND: Okay, yeah, fair enough. You're right.

ELAINE PRUIS: Yeah, thanks.

BYRON HOLLAND: One of the challenges here is it goes to a person. Elaine?

ELAINE PRUIS: Can we direct them to PTI to request another link if they have lost it or don't remember receiving it? Maybe we could put an e-mail that says if you don't have your survey, contact –

ELISE GERICH: Yeah.

---

[NAELA SARRAS]: Yes, thank you. It's a good point. I was thinking there. Sorry, Byron, it took me awhile. Yes, we can put [Marellia's] name.

ELISE GERICH: We should follow up and see if it's feasible because –

[NAELA SARRAS]: Yeah, okay.

ELISE GERICH: It's not within the contract right now with [Ubiquity] to generate, there's a certain number that we have a contract, it's probably –

BYRON HOLLAND: Could you just speak into the mic?

ELISE GERICH: I would like to, instead of pointing to [Marellia] for this, I think we need to follow up and see if that's feasible under the contract with [Ubiquity] because they would have to be generating and responding independently. Because right now, the way it's done, everyone's anonymized for us. We don't see them individually and so it's not like we can generate a link that goes back to [Ubiquity]. So it's feasible I'm sure but I just would like to check before we say "Yes, we'll do this."



---

BYRON HOLLAND: That’s all, fair enough. Inevitably, when we say something like this, our constituencies are going to be going, “Who got that? Where is it?” Then what? And all we are talking about here is how do we short-circuit the “then what” question if people can remember because, I mean, we all know how much inbound any of us gets. If you haven’t seen it, lost it or forgot it, what do you do? And even in an organization, who got it?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I hate to [inaudible] point. I think we should say, “Let us get back to you,” like very shortly saying who to point to. Because as Elise said, we did provide a list and if you think you use the service and didn’t get a link, you should come to us and then we’ll see if we provided your name to [Ubiquity] and then they need to reissue it. So yes, I think we should call an internal IANA person that we could take these inquiries from and then we’ll follow up on it.

BART BOSWINKEL: [Elated] say in another [sphere], for example, the ccTLD financial contributions, it’s very important to identify the person to who you send it to. Some have left to registry so what would be useful if you know which list you have been using, especially in

---

the cc environment because that's part of the issue of contacting people.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: So we are not using a blanket list, we are using a list that comes out of the ticketing system of people that use those services in the last year. So there is no list for you publicly to go review and see if you're on it. I can do an [add] to that because you generate that list.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, thank you. You took the words out of my mouth. Essentially, at the end of the year ending August 30, I think, we extracted from our ticketing system all the people that we've transacted with in the past 12 months, and that's the basis for this list. If a staff member submitted a request on behalf of your organization that has since left, they won't get a survey but we do not send them to the generic contacts for your TLD.

BYRON HOLLAND: So that means generally speaking, it's going to be one of the technical folks responsible. In my case, in my shop, I know who it is and he sits right in front of me, actually. But I'll bet, well I know from the results, he didn't fill out the survey. That's actually an interesting nuance in terms of who actually gets it

---

and their predisposition to potentially filling out surveys. Okay?  
Elise?

ELISE GERICH:

I think you have two different questions to ask. One is if say, Byron, you would contact us and say, “I don’t think I saw the survey. Am I on the list?” We can say, “Yes” or “No, you’re not on the list” because we generate the list of individuals.

The second question was if we can add people to receive a survey that we didn’t have on our list and that’s what I think we need to go back and confirm that we can do that post the first mailing.

So I think there’s really two questions. One, you want to know who got it, which since we have the list, we can share that information if you ask us as the representative from your ccTLD. And the other is whether we can send it to other people and that leads us back to this group because we talk about who got it when we discussed the survey and it’s the people who actually interacted with us, not a generic group.

BYRON HOLLAND:

So I think it would be of value to have a contact person for people who want to ask specific questions.

---

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: So whoever is editing today, [Alan] and Bart will get you something to put on the slides today.

BYRON HOLLAND: Thank you. Also helpful to have had that conversation so again for those of us who are delivering the presentation, we have that nuance available. Thanks. Next slide.

So then we move on to the work in progress, some of the bigger pieces, distinct pieces of work that we've been undertaking over the last number of months, in particular the remedial action procedure so we can identify that and we've already spoken to it a little bit in the previous slides, also reviewing the PTI development plan and I –

ELISE GERICH: May we go back to the customer survey question next slide because there was something I want to ask if the committee wanted to add. And that's it might be nice to say that the CSC did have a consultation with PTI on the survey because we didn't just do the same survey that we had last year, we consulted with you all, you consulted with us. You gave us your input and the CSC had a very active role in trying to determine the format of this year's survey.

---

One big change that we did make to the survey was there's more free form answers to questions available and that was based on the input from the CSC. I know you don't want all those words but in the CSC's role, it was actively engaged and helping us to make revisions in this year's survey.

BYRON HOLLAND:

Thanks, that's a good point and yes, I think we can add something to that effect to make that point.

Okay, back to work in progress, we already referred to the RAPs. There's been some review of the PTI development plan just from the perspective of understanding it and then probably the main issue for this slide is around the process for changes in SLEs and making the note that it's fairly cumbersome as it's currently defined and we are in the process of taking a look at how can we try to make it more streamlined for relatively – minor is that the word but a very specific set of changes to it.

So in terms of what I'd like to have us all focused on are those two sub-bullet points to see if we are comfortable with that language around it or if there is any concerns. Because when I was at this center meeting a few weeks ago and one of the comments made to me was, "Oh, you're going to change the metrics so that they're not as stringent and as well was put forward in the original SLE. So one of my fellow operators, that

---

was his view. “Oh, you’re just lowering the bar so they can get over it,” to which my response is, “No, that it was not the point but I want to make sure that that isn’t the message that emanates out from, “Oh, we’re allowing ourselves to fine tune the metrics.”

Naela, did you have... or Trang?

NAELA SARRAS:

Thank you, Byron. I was looking back to see maybe we can speak a little bit to why to the comment that you got at center why we’re asking to change the thresholds of the data was in collected based on a big enough sample but the thresholds we’re asking the changes were actually automated thresholds that we staff don’t have any control over and I’ll give a little bit of context basically.

BYRON HOLLAND:

And we do in further slides so we will get to showing that it’s very constrained and arguably immaterial from a criticality standpoint. That’s why I just want to make sure that we are comfortable with the bullet points in terms of the words and then we can highlight what we mean so if we flip to the next slide, we can come back to this one then we make the point and

---

certainly anybody delivering it would want to be comfortable with the flow so they see what's coming next. Bart?

**BART BOSWINKEL:** Can you go back to the previous slide? I think maybe on the current process is very cumbersome. I think the initial analysis showed it but having the, say moving forward and after our previous conversation, nothing changed, only there was more clarification by Sam. It now proves to be less cumbersome than the CSC initially thought so it's more that the CSC is now uncovering the process of how to change the SLEs. Whether it's cumbersome depends very much on the type of change and there will be that goes into the feedback and say –

**BYRON HOLLAND:** I think that's the point we are trying to make. I mean, there is material change and there is change that requires fine tuning and how we distinguish between those two things and then how we actually do each of those respective activities is certainly very different. Elaine and then Jay? I'm sorry, Elise. I've been pretty good over 10, 12 months given all that.

**ELISE GERICH:** I'm sorry. I know who you meant. I just was tweaking you, sorry, though it was fun.

---

Anyway, you asked about whether we are comfortable with the words and you keep using the word “fine tune” and I think that’s an excellent word so you might want to look at bullet number three and say process for fine tuning the SLEs because changing does make you think that you’re going to make them lighter weight but fine tuning means you are looking at some instrumentation and tweaking it so that it’s correct, in my mind. I don’t know if everyone thinks fine tuning means that.

BYRON HOLLAND: Okay. Thank you, Elise. Jay?

JAY DALEY: I think this has got some judgment or language in it. We ought to be described in the current process as inflexible or our perception of it as Bart says that it was inflexible and that it was a one size fits all, which we didn’t think was appropriate. We felt that there were different levels to this end of it.

The second bullet point is it allows us to make changes that are proportionate to the impact of the change through a process so it is proportionate to the impact of the change. That would be better, I think while describing it while there’s majority of about the length of time taken because actually some changes should



---

take a long time, took a while. The process around some changes should take a long time.

BYRON HOLLAND:

I think that's a good point. Well, you made several points there. One is there's no intent to be pejorative and perhaps if the language criteria comes across that way, which arguably it could, that's not the point and I think there's also a point to be made about two levels of changes. One is fine tuning and the other is material change and they should have different levels of requirements associated with it and that I think speaks to the proportionality comment.

So there has been a fair amount of feedback there again without trying to wordsmith it on the fly. I think we can take those comments and fine tune these words to reflect them. Is there any other message that should be delivered here? So try to strip out subjective commentary. We will make the note that there is a distinction between fine tuning some of the metrics versus material change and that the requirement to do each should be proportional. So that will be the general message here. Does that make sense?

Okay. So we have some editing work to do there and of course, what we will do is we will work on this and then we'll put out the next version and given that time is relatively short, what I would

---

like to do is sort all the negative options. Unless you have an issue with it, will take it as okay. Okay, so just so we are ready for that.

So this slide of course then rolls into the point that's being made here in the next slide, which is providing an example of some of the fine tuning type changes that were made certainly in the first two, which were around the technical checks or something this group has spoken about a number of time over the months and these are the changes to the SLEs that are under discussion, which are really around the technical checks in the first two. I think the explanation here does provide commentary, which should be helpful. And then the third one is certainly the, in a sense, the more challenging one and that's ccTLD creation transfer, but it also has a fairly robust explanation to go along with it.

So to pick on the first one which over the months we had a fair amount of discussion on over multiple meetings and it talks about what the current SLEs versus what we're – or PTI was actually experiencing and then the proposed SLE adjustment and the explanation to it, and I think the key is in the explanation that in a sense it was an unnecessarily tight target as the DTA defined and created SLEs] around 63 metrics, some of them were a little tighter than they were required without

---

impacting any customer level experience or service and that's really the point that we are trying to make here. [Alan]?

[ALAN]:

Yes, I thought I make one point. My understanding is based on the conversation we have with Sam Eisner that even for these minor changes that there would be, I think she used the term socialization within the community before this happens and my understanding is this is that socialization so it's not an example of a change, in fact, when this is presented to the RySG and to the ccNSO, it's for that objective so I think whoever is presenting should be clear about that. This is what we are proposing to change. If you have any issue with it, now was your opportunity to voice objections.

BYRON HOLLAND:

Yeah, agreed. So I think it's fairly clear here both for those presenting and for those who are going to be receiving the material. I may be wildly optimistic but I think it's pretty straight forward here. Elise?

ELISE LINDEBERG:

Just back to what you said about someone at the center meeting said, "Oh, you're just changing things." Your wording of fine tuning is so much more about observation and then fine

---

tuning something. Maybe its instead of changes to SLEs is the heading is fine tuning the SLEs because you've already laid that groundwork perhaps from the other one.

BYRON HOLLAND: Any objections to that from the members? I'm going to go to the members first. Yes? Any comment on that, Jay?

JAY DALEY: I'm uncomfortable with it. The top two, yes. The bottom one I don't think is fine tuning. The bottom one is a bigger change compared to the others. I just don't think it's the same category as the other two so I would be happy if it's just the top two, those are definitely just fine tuning it.

BYRON HOLLAND: Elise and then [Alan]?

ELISE LINDEBERG: Thank you. Just a comment on that. I agree but I think if you start to differentiate and say that something is changed and something is fine tuning, then you get into these discussions and let me just talk about change and say that it is so small that it actually is fine tuning but not to have different words for it because I think it's going to be from the GAC side at least. They

---

can discuss these kinds of things for a whole afternoon. So I don't think all this tiny bits could be important. Thank you.

BYRON HOLLAND:

Well, we would not want to subject you to that. [Alan]? Okay, thanks. So I think we'll leave the title as is and we'll leave the differentiation to verbal delivery.

Any other comments on this slide, which will remain unchanged? No. So then we move on to the next slide.

Now, we've looked at where we've been, some of the issues, processes, changes being recommended and then into work to be done, outcome in community and this is in particular upcoming community work so this in a sense is to a great degree not our work, it's CSC but work related to us by others and that's the CSC charter review, which is we know is underway. Our last meeting just a couple of weeks ago had that Charter Review Team on the call with us. This time next year, the CSC Effectiveness Review will commence and then there is the IFR Review, which also starts October next year.

So this is our opportunity to remind the folks in our communities of the work that's to be done around us and is being done around us. I think as it pertains to GNSO and the ccNSO specifically, it's a good time to remind our communities that if

---

we want to make any change and when I say “we” as a community, if we the communities wants to make any changes to the charter, it has to be discussed and agreed upon within our constituencies so it’s a good opportunity to remind folks that the ccNSO and the GNSO have a real role here that they must undertake if any changes are going to be made. So for those of us delivering this presentation, I think that’s a key point to be made here.

Then we go to the summary slide, which is in a sense just a wrap up of everything we’ve seen thus far highlighting the PTI performance has been excellent, that I think the CSC, we as a committee have come together to do the work in an effective way and are working through our to do list now that the basic monthly cadence, the more operational component of our work I think is well underway and working well and then the final point is just reinforcing the last slide that we had that the ICANN community as a whole needs to prepare for their role in multiple reviews in and around the CSC’s work and the CSC itself.

So as we went around to the list, there are two versions of this deck, the short version and the long version. This is the longer version at 16 slides. I think the short version is seven or thereabouts and really just pull the header slides from each subject that we’ve gone through and then have the summary slide. So I know that, for example, we have a lunch with the

---

Board, not the whole Board but component of the Board where we'll do just the short form version of this deck.

I think and certainly at the ccNSO, my goal or my plan is to, between Jay and I, deliver this deck. I think the GNSO would probably be well served by getting the longer form deck, but I'll leave that up to you but we do have two versions available.

Before I go to you [Alan], any general comments or have I guess also on a negative, have we missed anything that should be in there subject to edits that we've talked about? We're okay with it as it stands subject to the edits? Okay. [Alan].

[ALAN]:

Actually, I was only going to make the point that some of the issues in the longer deck are mandatory in terms of consultations so even though you may be tempted to skip over it, you have to be seen to have consulted the charter requires an annual consultation, for example, on the SLE changes so even if we just leave the longer deck and skip over or whatever but at least they have to be seen to have consulted on those issues. Thanks.

BYRON HOLLAND:

Okay. Any final comments on the deck? Okay, please check your e-mails later today or this evening. We will turn this around and

---

push out another version of it and like I said, we'll do it in the negative given timing that unless I hear otherwise, we'll take it as okay. So if you're satisfied with it, you don't have to do anything. If you have a comment, please go ahead and make it and then we'll put it in PowerPoint and PDF and make it available to all of us.

So that was the main work item for today so thank you very much for those comments. I think that helps make the deck clearer and certainly more concise and I think for those of us reviewing, it's also good just to get other people's feedback on that and step through it.

So as I mentioned at the outset, the only other agenda item we had was just a reminder that at the one-year mark, the charter requires that the Chair will be up for election every year. So our next meeting is November 15<sup>th</sup> and we will put that on the dance card. I just wanted to provide a little bit of a heads up, but it is a requirement of the charter. No comments needed. Just a reminder so we all know that.

Is there Any Other Business? No other business?

ELISE LINDEBERG:

Yes, this is my last ICANN meeting so it's been a pleasure working with you all in the CSC. I have a wonderful person



---

succeeding me to work with you as you know because she has taken over two months ago, I think, now, last month's meeting and this meeting. I've gotten to know many people better than I had known them in the past so I appreciate that and I know the CSC will continue to do good work.

BYRON HOLLAND:

Well, on behalf of the CSC, given everything that we as a community did that led to the transition and the creation of the CSC, your fingerprints are all over it. So on behalf of the CSC, I think it's gone very well in spite of the fact that there may have been some anxiety within IANA and PTI in the early going. I think it's gone very well and I just want to thank the IANA PTI Team for all hard work that has allowed us to get where we are today in terms of the work that we do and of course all the work that it takes to get to meeting your metrics 100% month after month and certainly, your fingerprints are all over that, Elise. So on behalf of the CSC, thank you very much.

And with that, we'll bring the meeting to a close. Thank you, everybody, and keep an eye on your e-mail later this afternoon for the next version of this and I'll give you back half an hour of your day. Thanks a lot.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**