

---

ABU DHABI – Joint Meeting: ICANN Board & ASO/NRO  
Wednesday, November 1, 2017 – 08:30 to 09:30 GST  
ICANN60 | Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

RON DA SILVA: So good morning, everybody. This is the meeting of the ICANN Board with the ASO, and I am Ron da Silva, one of the ICANN board members appointed by the ASO. We will start off by taking turns around the table to introduce ourselves. Why don't I start with Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Good morning. Rinalia Abdul Rahim, member of the ICANN Board.

CHERINE CHALABY: Good morning. Cherine Chalaby, member of the ICANN Board.

LOUSEWIES VAN DER LAAN: Salaam Alaikum. Lousewies Van der Laan, member of the ICANN Board.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

HERVE CLEMENT: Good morning, Herve Clement. I will be ASO AC from next 1st of January, from the RIPE NCC Board.

KHALED KOUBAA: Bonjour tout le monde. Salaam Alaikum. Khaled Koubaa from Tunisia, board member.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Kevin Blumberg, ASO AC.

STEVE CROCKER: Steve Crocker, ICANN Board.

ALAN BARRETT: Alan Barrett, CEO of AfriNIC.

AKINORI MAEMURA: Akinori Maemura, ICANN Board member, appointed by the Address Supporting Organization.

OSCAR ROBLES: Oscar Robles, executive director of LACNIC.

HARTMUT GLASER: Hartmut Glaser, LACNIC ASO representative.

---

ALXEL PAWLIK: Alxel Pawlik, managing director of the RIPE NCC.

BRAJESH JAIN: Brajesh Jain, ASO member from APNIC region.

LITO IBARRA: Lito Ibarra, ICANN Board, LACNIC Board.

PABLO HINOJOSA: Pablo Hinojosa, APNIC staff.

TOMOHIRO FUJISAKI: Good morning, my name is Tomohiro Fujisaki, ASO AC member from APNIC region.

JORGE VILLA: (Indiscernible) morning. I'm Jorge Villa from -- ASO representative from (indiscernible) region.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Filiz Yilmaz, ASO AC chair.

---

RON DA SILVA:                   Excellent. Thank you very much, and good morning again to everybody.

Do we have the questions? Can we pull up that slide? Do we have the other first? Perfect.

So first we have a question from the ASO to the ICANN Board, and then we'll come back to the other one which is a couple questions from the Board to the ASO.

So this is the question. Has the ICANN Board reviewed the recently completed ASO review final report? And does it have any thoughts or suggestions as the NRO EC begins its discussions of the recommendations contained therein and next steps?

I think Rinalia is going to address this, yes? Thank you.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:       Yes. So it's a little -- the answer is a little sad. The Board has no view on the ASO review outcome because we haven't received documentation related to the review to the ICANN Board, essentially. So you haven't sent it to us formally. ICANN is, unfortunately, a rather bureaucratic organization and there are procedures in place so if the process isn't followed it doesn't get to where it needs to go. So let me make a few suggestions on how to move forward on this. So Alan Barrett, in the opening

---

ceremony, I think you mentioned that the NRO will conduct an assessment of the recommendations in the final report and that those assessments will be subject to public comments; correct?

ALAN BARRETT: Yes, that is correct. The NRO EC is looking through the report which contains 18 specific recommendations, and the NRO EC will consider each of those and make a proposal about what to do. And then our proposal will be subject to public comments within our communities in the Regional Internet Registries.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Excellent. So to complete the review cycle, this is our suggestion, that once you've done all of that, you send us the final report, your assessment of the recommendations, and the outcome of public comments, and then you include any information on implementation steps that require ICANN support or resources, so that the Board through the committee that I chair right now and which Khaled will take over, the Organizational Effectiveness Committee, can evaluate those that require ICANN support organizations as part of our acceptance of the final report.

So that's our suggestion in terms of moving forward. And doing so would fulfill the Board's obligations regarding the ASO review

---

process. And this is also in line with the first ASO review where the Board accepted the final implementation plan that resulted from that review itself. And once we've done that, in alignment with ICANN's organizational review process, the submission of the final report and any other related information will start the clock again for the next review in five years' time.

ALAN BARRETT: Thank you, Rinalia. That seems to make sense. I'm sure we can do that.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you so much.

AKINORI MAEMURA: Akinori Maemura for the record. So I would like to make a response, not really start a version from the Board, that, yes, that I'm really happy to have the ASO review final report from the independent reviewer, and then I -- I, with other board members or, you know, with interest observing the discussion in the RIR arenas. And then, for example, the recent RIPE meeting, actually the public made a presentation to the -- to the committee that the final report is out and then now in the consideration process. And then in APNIC meeting in June, they had public consultation session, and then there was really good

---

discussion for the how implement or how interpret the final report into -- into the improvement of the ASO itself.

And I'm really happy to have that kind of quite active discussion to the improvement of the ASO.

Thank you very much.

RON DA SILVA: Axel.

AXEL PAWLIK: Thank you. When Alan mentioned that, of course, we were going through the report and recommendations, that we are considering them as the NRO EC, of course we do that in close cooperation and coordination with the ASO AC. Just mentioning that.

RON DA SILVA: Brajesh.

BRAJESH JAIN: Thank you. Brajesh Jain here. Adding to what (indiscernible) just now, in APNIC we have created a special interest group for discussion on the (indiscernible) community discussions.

Thank you.

---

RON DA SILVA: Filiz.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Just to follow up on what Axel point there, yes, NRO EC, so the Executive Council for the NRO, they have gone through -- they have done a review already on the number of recommendations that came out from the -- from the review, and now we are currently going through and we, as an ASO AC, are going through a similar process. And combined, then, will be going to the communities.

So it's not only NRO EC but it is done in consultation with ASO AC, too. That's important to note, which kind of is the community part of the -- of the trying out.

Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Good. Thank you. Anything else on this, Alan? No?

Can we go back to the previous slide, then.

These were a couple questions that were sent from the Board to the ASO. First, what are some of the key issues and topics that the ASO or, more broadly, the RIR communities are working on.



---

And, secondly, what are your concerns regarding GDPR and how to mitigate?

Shall we take the first one? Alan.

ALAN BARRETT:

All right. Let me take a stab at that. So the issues we're working on within the ICANN area are the ASO review, which we've just been talking about, and of course there's ongoing process of appointing board members from time to time, and we're involved in several ICANN-related committees. I could talk about that separately. And the ITHI initiative, measuring the health of the Internet identifiers. We are working within our communities and staff on figuring out what we could measure relating to the health of the number system. And that's in collaboration with the ICANN CTO's office.

More generally, if you look at the RIRs instead of -- outside the ICANN system, we have our ongoing efforts of dealing with the running out of IP version 4 promoting IP version 6, and just generally trying to make the Internet work well.

RON DA SILVA:

I can't help but add in. The selection process for seat 9 has come up several times, and I've been asked does this mean I'm stepping down. In fact, that's not true. What -- What happens in

---

the ASO is regardless of whether somebody is standing or not, the process, every three years, for seat 9 is executed; that is, there is solicitation for nominations, there's an evaluation. So there's no guarantee that the sitting selected board member has, you know, standing. They have to go through the same vetting process all over again and be compared to other -- other applicants and interested parties.

So just because it's being raised, I don't know how many times of I've been answered, "Oh, you're stepping down?" No, no, I'm not stepping down. This is the normal process the ASO goes through in selecting their board members. And I'll go through that same process that I did three years ago, and in the end if I'm elected, then that's the normal outcome. But, you know, it's a very good possibility the ASO will decide to pick somebody else as well, and that's part of the process.

So I was reminded of that in your comment.

Thanks.

Anybody else on key areas that the ASO is working on? Brajesh.

BRAJESH JAIN:

Brajesh Jain. One of the interesting thing which has never been discussed, at least in APNIC, is should IPv6 allocation be liberal or be restricted? Will it get out of circulation in four years,

---

considering that IoT, they are throwing the numbers of 50 billion devices or more may come up.

So the question being debated is should their allocation be only on the need basis, an individual is given four addresses, eight addresses, or do we do /64 slash /56 or something? This is very interesting discussion which is going on and for interest of everybody.

Thank you.

RON DA SILVA:

I find this particular topic very reminiscent of 20 years ago with a different protocol, IPv4, where there was a lot of discussion about if you're too liberal with the amount of addresses that are given out today, then some amount of time in the future, we'll run out. It seems like that has happened.

Perhaps we've learned some lessons, and as we have these discussions and policy development across the RIR community, people will remember how we dealt with some of the allocation policies for v4 and apply some of those same principles in v6 allocation policies.

Akinori.

---

AKINORI MAEMURA: Akinori Maemura for the record.

I think -- I think it is very, very shared with everyone, but still good to clarify that the assignment and the allocation policy of the IP numbers is basically based in Regional Internet Registries discussion. And then if -- if the allocation from the IANA to the RIRs need to be considered, then that's -- there will be discussed as the global policy proposal.

So there is -- there is the distinction of our policies, then. So your question, Brajesh, is actually our question. How is that? Do you have any idea?

BRAJESH JAIN: Not really. I just thought since we are on the topic and the question was that how is the ASO AC -- ASO engaged in. As ASO AC member, one of the activities engaged in this is IPv6 allocation.

Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Kevin.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Kevin Blumberg, from the ARIN region ASO AC.

---

So that was actually asked, Akinori, of me a couple days ago, which is what kind of global policy could we ever see down the road? And, really, IPv6 is where that may be. And when you talk about how space is given out from IANA to the RIRs, whether we are more liberal or looser or the numbers shift in terms of utilizations, et cetera, it is very possible that at some point there might be, based on the evolution of IPv6 and its use, global policy related to that. That's very possible. But what it is, obviously we don't know.

RON DA SILVA:

Akinori.

AKINORI MAEMURA:

Yes, thank you very much, Kevin. I remember that several years ago we had -- we -- I mean I am active in APNIC at the time, and then we had the discussion of the revision of the IPv6 allocation policy, and where at the time the assignment was the, you know, /48 fixed length. And at that time, discussion goes and get the consensus, too. It's under the discretion of the RIR, meaning the variable length from the /48 through /64. And then that, I remember the main -- because, you know, the IPv6 is quite -- has a really huge space of the address. But still, it's not infinite but finite space. Then we don't expect -- we don't have -- we have

---

never clear idea how it will be used in the case after, that we should be conservative for, you know, usage of IPv6.

So maybe we have quite such future discussion. You know, IoT -- IoT is one such discussion, futuristic. With the usage of the IP addresses, we'll have enormous change.

So I agree, Kevin, in that point.

Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Thank you. Filiz.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Thank you, Ron. This is an interesting subject which comes back and forth. And I just want to make it very clear that there's a very huge difference between regional registry allocation practices or regional policies versus global policies.

So, in fact, for the sake of the audience as well and we are recorded here, it's good to remember that all these allocation policies are, in fact, coming from the industry needs. Nobody is bringing up -- okay, you know, let's pick a number and go for it, which was a bootstrap allocation policy years ago that nobody knew how IP version six takeoff will actually result in, right? And you're still trying to find out an answer to that after all these

---

years. So I just want to point out that whatever the size is, in fact, will come from the communities where the operators will show a sign that this is a usable size or it is not. In fact, that happened in the past that IPv6 RIR members or the RIR allocation size was adjusted in the past.

Of course, there's the reflection to that on the RIR to -- IANA to RIR allocation. And, if that happens, then if in all regions that size needs an adjustment, then it will come to us as a global policy. And then at this fora, as the SO/AC there will be import. Otherwise, this is a strictly regional method especially on the slash 64, 48, how that distribution is made within the legions by the operators to their customers and users, in fact.

Thank you.

RON DA SILVA:

I definitely find it interesting that we are, across the RIRs and within the SO, talking about allocation policies for v6, how large should they be? And, secondly, justification for space, whether it's needs based or not.

I think the next thing I'd be curious to see if it comes, because this sort of what happened in the v4 spaces, should we or should we not have a reclamation policy so that, if you give away too much space, you can take it back. So I'll wait and see if this

---

comes up. But these are the same kind of conversations we had 20 years ago talking about before. And then it ran out. And then we got rid of the needs based policies. And we created a v4 market for transfers.

And, you know, sure, there's a huge pile of v6 addresses. But, if you start giving them away by the billions, maybe we'll see the same problems all over again.

GDPR. Shall we jump to that?

STEVE CROCKER: No.

RON DA SILVA: Yes, Axel.

AXEL PAWLIK: Thank you. GDPR, great fun. And the theme of this week here, too. Obviously, the RIRs are interested in this and we welcome this. Especially speaking for the RIPE NCC, we are sitting in Europe. This really, really hits us.

I'm quite happy to say that old memories have been dredged up from my head. We have talked about this with our community about 10 years ago. We even had a data protection task force community-led to look at the registry data and what would be --



---

would have to be protected and what could be public and the like.

So we've done a similar exercise about 10 years ago already. We are looking at this for quite a while already. And I'm happy to say that we met with Goran yesterday and coordinated a little bit of what we're doing with our thoughts there are. Maybe the main theme for the RIRs is that the numbers WHOIS or the -- you know, the registry data is essential for the operations of the Internet, just essential that we find people operating parts of the Internet. And that data needs to be as openly available as possible for the sake of an interconnecting and working Internet.

RON DA SILVA: Lousewies.

LOUSEWIES VAN DER LAAN: Just want to ask you a question. Did RIPE ever get any notifications from any of the European DPAs about anything you've done that may have been breaking the law? And you're looking at your lawyer over there. It just seems interesting that the Article 29 working group has been working on these issues. Did they just not spot you guys, or are you so compliant that everyone else can learn from you?

---

AXEL PAWLIK: So far we didn't have any issues like that. We tried to coordinate as much as possible with the authorities and the agencies and the people who are looking at us there. But we haven't been very high up on their -- on their screens. But we also are considering to practically go out and talk to them now, obviously. This needs to be managed and expectations need to be managed, speaking for the RIPE NCC.

RON DA SILVA: Anyone else from the NRO care to speak on this? No? Okay. Good. Thank you.

I want to take a moment and just send our regards out to John. John Curran was scheduled to be here with us this morning as well and had to leave unexpectedly. So he's missed. Sorry? Paul as well. Was he going to be here, though?

AXEL PAWLIK: We see a sudden bout of trouble, incapacity in the NRO EC. I'm feeling very healthy, and I'm glad to be here. But yes, Paul Wilson was scheduled to be here as well. And he can't travel. Similar to John.

---

PAUL DA SILVA: Oh my. So lesson learned. Don't go to Dubai on your way to Abu Dhabi. Yes, send our regards to Paul then as well. Thank you.

Any other topics, questions, for the ASO? Akinori.

AKINORI MAEMURA: Thank you very much. Akinori Maemura, for the record.

I'd like to ask the ASO about review committee. You know, I think that (indiscernible) could we have your perspective for the new scheme for after post-transition and mainly for the review committee? If we can take this?

RON DA SILVA: Alan.

ALAN BARRETT: All right. Alan Barrett. I'll take this. The IANA number services review committee was set up as part of the IANA transition. It's a committee with, I think, three members from each of the five RIRs. And its job is to look at the IANA numbering performance. So, you know, are we getting the services we need from ICANN relating to the SLA contract for the IANA services? And, formally, I think it's supposed to meet twice a year by teleconference. We fully expect that it will have very little to do. Because we get

---

these wonderful reports from PTI every month saying everything is just fine. We're meeting all our SLAs.

And so, as long as that continues, I think the review committee will have a job of simply formally reporting every now and again that everything is fine. It's a light workload. And we have, I think, one staff member from each RIR and two community members. In many cases, the RIRs have appointed the same two community members to the review committee as they have appointed to the ASO AC. So because of that perhaps Filiz knows more about what the review committee is doing.

FILIZ YILMAZ:

Alan, thank you for the introductions. Yes, the review committee is still working on the report, particular report that will be for 2017. But we already have agreed on our operating procedures to start our work since the inception of the new scheme and after the transition.

But what Alan said is very accurate. I can put a stamp on it.

There are -- review committee's job is not to go and check every step of the SLA. But it's more understanding our RIR's experience with their interaction with the IANA and the PTI so that we can make recommendations, if there is anything that,

---

from the community side, we have to make a recommendation for, right?

So in that regards we're working with the RIRs. And that delegation, Alan was talking about from the review team, is a reflection of that.

There are two community members, But also the third party from each region, the appointment to the committee, is from the RIR staff to walk us through what their actual operational expectations were and if they were met or otherwise what the issues were. In that regards, we work closely with the RIR staff. Our job is, basically, getting a report from them so that we can close a circle saying okay, process was followed and the experience was good or bad. And so far we have not heard otherwise. Thank you.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

Kevin Blumberg, ASO AC. So one thing I saw up here was a lot of appointments, the word "appointment." It's important to note that the ASO AC has 15 members. Ten of them are elected by their communities, and five are appointed. In the case of the review committee, none of the appointed ASO AC members are sitting on the committee. They are from the community elected ASO AC members.

---

So, while they might be appointed to work on the SLA review, I just wanted to clarify because "appointed" is used in many different terms.

FILIZ YILMAZ:

I just need to make another clarification here. Each region is free to -- and this was -- from the beginning it was the same. For those two members that are sitting on the review committee, they are free to elect -- select the way they make that selection.

So in certain regions it was the ASO AC members. They were just put after the confirmation from their regions. But I can speak for RIPE.

I believe the other regions have chosen their own way to appoint or select their community members to the review committee, which is totally different process than the ASO AC appointments or the selection.

RON DA SILVA:

Very good. Anything else on this? Any other topics from the Board? Akinori.

AKINORI MAEMURA:

Yes, likewise. Thank you very much for the review committee. It is really good to share the scheme post-transition is running

---

smoothly in a number of resources. That's, actually, you know, we need to have the very careful look if we know for the progression of that. So thank you very much for sharing that.

So, likewise, then -- could I have the question for the -- you know, for the other supporting organization's actions for the empowered community, which is another new scheme of the post-transition.

RON DA SILVA: Axel.

AXEL PAWLIK: The Empowered Community, yes, if you look at the ASO review report, there's quite a bit of text in there and also a recommendation at the end.

What we see in the ASO is an increased -- drastically increased workload, a potential for much more work than we are currently -- or that we are used to be doing within ICANN. As you know, our scope is rather limited. Our policy processes run outside of ICANN in our own regions and the like.

The ASO is here to appoint board members and to look after the coordinating global policy development process and answer questions from the board generally.

---

And now with the new ICANN and the new organs in there, like the Empowered Community, there is drastically heightened workload possible. We see the first sights of that happening, and we have to basically adjust ourselves to be able to cope with this. And the last -- the larger recommendation in the review report is to consider how we would fit into this new ICANN world. There are a couple of options. But we have to look at this together with the AC. We have to look at it together with the communities and come to some conclusion through some process in the near future. We're looking at that.

AKINORI MAEMURA: Thank you very much.

RON DA SILVA: I think we had a topic with respect to workload and volunteer exhaustion come up with the ALAC yesterday in our session with them.

Cherine, did you have a comment?

CHERINE CHALABY: Excuse me. We were in a meeting with one of the constituencies yesterday, and they mentioned that they are going to get more involved in the budgeting process this year. And we actually



---

were very happy to hear that because I think through the Empowered Community, you guys have the power to reject the budget. And ideally for all of us is that the community gets very engaged very early on in the process because you have the experience of the marketplace more than us definitely. So -- and also we have a top line, which is the funding we receive, and then we have a cost which is very detailed.

Is this something that the ASO is interested in? Or you feel because of the MOU, you're -- you just leave it for the rest of the community? And if you didn't, how would you then exercise the power or -- so just open that discussion to see how...

AXEL PAWLIK:

Exactly. That is one of the questions we would have to examine and to find a common understanding within the group. How do we want to deal with this? Traditionally, 20 years ago, we sat with ICANN and said, Look, what's your budget and what's IANA doing for us and what's our cost share in that? And at some point, we agreed we would pay this amount of money and that would all be covered. This basically is, in a way, enshrined in the SLA that we have with PTI now -- or with ICANN and through to the PTI. I'm quite happy with that as it stands.

---

But, of course, as you say, Empowered Community gives us the rights to take action here, and we would like to consider what we do with this. But we have no -- Yes, Goran?

GORAN MARBY: For the record, the SLA is with ICANN, not PTI. Thank you very much.

AXEL PAWLIK: That's what I tried to -- yeah, thank you.

CHERINE CHALABY: Sorry. Just to continue a little bit, so you're saying you're more involved with the PTI budget rather than the big ICANN budget which PTI is part of it?

AXEL PAWLIK: At the current point, we are not terribly involved in any of the budgets. We have the contracts with ICANN for what used to be IANA services or for IANA services. And we have an agreement there, and that's currently our involvement. We occasionally look at the other budgets as well, but we have -- so far I remember in the last couple of years, we have not done that much. We have come to meetings and understood a bit of what

---

the general ICANN budget is, but we so far didn't have any great opinion on that.

We need to look at this again in the ASO review process and see how we want to engage there.

RON DA SILVA:

So this might be one example of the assessment that the ASO and the NRO is doing with regards to, Akinori, what you are asking about, which is the additional expectations around the Empowered Community and, you know, post-transition ICANN and, you know, how -- how that will be addressed and staffed from volunteers and how do you prioritize those, right? I think that's the process that the ASO is going through at the moment.

We conveniently have the president of PTI here at the table who I think wants to comment on this topic. Elise.

ELISE GERICH:

I would like to comment -- this is Elise Gerich -- because there has been a lot of confusion about the budgeting process within PTI, IANA, and ICANN. And I tried to talk to that at our PTI first anniversary thing.

But within the PTI bylaws and contracts that we have with ICANN, we have to create a budget. And the community

---

specified this well in advance of ICANN's budget. And right now we do have a PTI budget out for public comment, and we've asked everyone to comment before November 26th when the comment period ends.

That budget then feeds into the IANA budget which is within ICANN's budget. And the IANA budget is also out for public comment right now. So the PTI budget could be the full IANA budget, or it could be just a subset of the IANA budget because the IANA budget is the vehicle within ICANN that funds PTI's budget. So, right now that is also out for public comment and that comment period ends November 26th at which point it all goes to the Empowered Community to review as part of the ICANN budget.

So I just thought I'd try to say there's three budgets. There's a PTI budget, and that goes to the PTI board and they review the draft. We put it out for public comment. When the PTI board approves the PTI budget, it's then submitted to ICANN as part of the IANA budget at which point the IANA budget gets folded into the ICANN budget and the ICANN board does their job.

So I hope that kind of clarifies all the budgets that we've been working on.

And one final point, one of the other things PTI is requested to do is to consult with the community in the making of the budget.

---

This is the first year we did some informal consultation. Some of you at this table and in the audience I had spoken to directly about what things you might like to see in the upcoming FY19 budget. And most of you just said you're doing a good job, please continue doing it.

We did get, I think, one comment from Leslie, if she's still here. And she said we really should look at more documentation about the reverse DNS process that we do. But other than that, there were no comments from the -- members of the numbers community as to some new projects you'd like us to undertake in FY19. Thank you for your time.

RON DA SILVA: Thank you, Elise.

Cherine, back to you. Are you satisfied?

CHERINE CHALABY: Axel is smiling.

AXEL PAWLIK: It's a wonderful process. It's so elaborate, so many turning wheels. I stare at them in fascination.

[ Laughter ]

---

RON DA SILVA: Doing one more look around the table, anyone else from the board to the ASO? A different subject is fine. Lousewies.

LOUSEWIES VAN DER LAAN: I wanted to ask a little bit about the engagement of the RIR community with other parts of the ICANN community because I've been very impressed by -- I mean, in a way the RIRs are very self-contained, very well-organized. And when we had the meeting with the LACNIC board, it was also very clear that you have limited resources and that you choose very selectively where you engage and where you don't engage.

Now, one of the things I found that in certain parts of the community -- and especially in the GAC -- there is a lack of technical knowledge. And there are 15 new GAC members just joining. The turnover is very high.

Are there consistent ways in which you can share the incredible technical know-how which there is in the RIR community with other parts of the community? Do you encourage them to come to your meetings, et cetera, et cetera? Because I think that the more we can get different parts of the community to engage outside of their silos, the better we can keep everything working. Thank you.

ALAN BARRETT:

Thanks, Lousewies. This is Alan Barrett. I can only speak for AfriNIC, not for the other RIRs. We do try to engage with other parts of the community. We have an MOU with AFRALO, so we encourage AFRALO to participate in AfriNIC meetings. They come to our meetings. We sometimes go to their meetings.

We also try to engage with governments. So within AfriNIC, we have what we call the government working group, which we hold a little side meeting as part of our bigger meetings. Twice a year we have meetings which go on for about a week. And typically for about half a day of that, we have a little side meeting with governments, including regulators and law enforcement, where we can talk to them about what's going on in the numbers policy as well as the technical realm.

We also try to educate as many people as we can about the need for moving to IPv6 and setting up Internet exchange points to improve performance and stability and root DNS copies and a few other issues. So we could certainly do more, especially if we had a bigger budget, but we do try.

RON DA SILVA:

Axel.

---

AXEL PAWLIK: Yeah. Thank you, Lousewies. I understand there is also quite a bit of turnover in the ICANN board, new faces.

Speaking for the RIPE NCC in this case, we do quite a lot of outreach and training and educational activities as well. We used to have as all of the RIRs a fairly fixed schedule with the GAC a couple of years ago, pretty much looking at IPv4 runout mostly and IPv6. There were regular -- fairly regular updates. But recently that interaction has died down quite significantly because the GAC is busy with other things, which is fine, too.

If you -- if you have information about who would like to be part of such a training outreach, then I'm sure we can look at that. Happy to. Obviously also for the ICANN board.

RON DA SILVA: Oscar, everybody is taking a turn. Would you like one?

OSCAR ROBLES: Yes. Very similar to what AfriNIC has been doing with the RALOs, we have an MOU signed with the LACRALO. We started this year to execute it.

We have been doing a couple of activities in the region. Well, as you know, we have this small building in Montevideo which help



---

us to engage with the rest of our community, with the nine organizations from different parts of the community.

But, also, we take advantage of that collaboration opportunities and we organize events in the region together with ICANN, Internet Society, and some others in the community depending on where we are going and what are the topics that we are trying to address.

Also, we recognize that our events are not for everything, but we are able and willing to attend other events where governments or civil society is -- are having their events. For example, LAC IGF, which is the Internet Governance Forum, is managed -- the secretariat is managed by LACNIC. So in that regard as well, LACNIC will be willing to attend this underserved training workshops for GAC representatives as you were mentioning and taking advantage that next year, you will held two meetings in the region. So we are more than happy to share our technical expertise, if there's an opportunity to do so.

RON DA SILVA: Axel.

AXEL PAWLIK: Yeah, quickly. I hear my colleagues have dealings with the RALOs. This afternoon I'm going to sign an MOU with EURALO as

---

well. I was focusing on (saying name) too quickly there. Of course, other stakeholder groups within ICANN. We are playing with them. Especially EURALO, we have a sort of long involvement activities that are sort of around there. Yeah, stuff like that. So we're doing that as well.

RON DA SILVA:

Filiz.

FILIZ YILMAZ:

Filiz Yilmaz. I want to address this from two angles. Lousewies, I think we share a lot of common thoughts on this.

One thing was the EURALO. Axel covered that.

I thought for a moment you covered that. How could you?

The other thing is, first of all, I also want to mention something as the RIPE representative to the ASO AC, not as the ASO chair. So I know more about RIPE coming from that region clearly.

One thing what RIPE does -- RIPE NCC does, and I think has been very successful, is the engagement through what they call roundtable meetings. They reach out certain -- how to say -- probably what is fitting to your description as governments, governmental authorities, regulatory parties in countries. But they are not done in a silo. While RIPE NCC facilitates these

---

meetings and they bring relative staff as experts to these meetings, they also invite people from industry. I myself was -- due to the relevance of my expertise was once invited to one of those meetings.

So that the operators and the technical community finds another engagement area with the governmental authorities through the facilitation of the RIR outside of the RIR meetings or the ICANN meeting there they may or they might not be part of. So that's one -- one, I think, good practical thing to remember. And there is examples of that in the other regions. So Lousewies, since you are connected, maybe you can also connect the dots there who needs to be pinged for those meetings because we all need -- I think RIPE NCC all knows what you know, right? They can always get help in that.

The second thing I want to mention is as the ASO AC chair, collectively as the ASO AC we conduct meetings at least once a year in one ICANN meeting. This is due to not because we -- we don't want to do in the other meetings but due to two reasons. One is, we don't all travel to ICANN meetings for our resources. The 15 members of the ASO AC are expected to be at one ICANN meeting that we decide at the beginning of the year which ICANN meeting that will be. And since the meeting structure has changed, we are trying to put it in a meeting where we will have the most of the people. And if you have any extra suggestions

---

which you think that should be, with the new meeting structure and et cetera, that is, in fact, good input for us. Because for FY '18, or for next year, we haven't made that decision yet, which meeting we will be all expected to be in on site and we can have this public consultation. You may remember in one of them you were a speaker, in fact, and we enjoyed that interaction. So if you do that in one of the short meetings, maybe it doesn't cut it because, you know, everybody is so busy in their own policy meeting so they don't have much time to engage with us. So please bring all those ideas.

The second thing, I think, again, I want to call out for your connecting the dots ability over there together with Ron we several times during these meetings we expressed we want to bring to the table or we want to have these sessions relevant to the needs and the questions of the ICANN community at that meeting at that time. And for that we need your input. We don't know what is being more important or more relevant at that time, so if you bring the subjects, we're also going to have, what are they called, IA -- cross-community but between two communities kind of meetings. We can also organize that. So please, yeah, help us to -- to create that environment as well because it's not only one thing. We will bring only what we think is relevant, but it may or may not be relevant for the rest. Thank you.

---

RON DA SILVA: Thank you, Filiz. I think we talked earlier about Paul Wilson being unable to join us but we have Kenny Wong from the APNIC executive council and treasurer who has come to the table. You want to speak about APNIC?

KENNY WONG: Yes. Thank you, Ron. Kenny Wong, APNIC SIG council member. Just if you will, regarding to the capacity-building, especially for the public sector from Asia-Pacific region and basically we have very similar exercise as RIPE because we have Cooperation SIG and most of the participants from Cooperation SIG are from public sector, regulator, and government officer. And also for the next Africa we also have a GAC session and as a GAC member from Asia-Pacific region. So -- and that's what we're doing with the public sector. And besides in addition to that we provide a lot of capacity training especially for law enforcement agency around the Asia-Pacific region and also collaborate with a lot of our regulators, government officer in terms of cybersecurity such as we join -- we participate in a lot of Asia-Pacific CERT activity and also sponsor an officer organization and also have a lot of capacity-building programs with different kind of organization and also join work with -- such as ICANN Asia-Pacific office and also join work with Asia-Pacific regional

---

Internet Governance Forum in terms of different kind of public activity and a lot of committee engagement activity. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Brajesh, did you still want to comment?

BRAJESH JAIN: Brajesh Jain. I just wanted to cover the Cooperation SIG which Kenny already covered. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Thank you. I think related, just come back to this, Akinori and I have been really working within the board to encourage in particular non-numbers board members to show up and engage with RIR activities within the regions where they reside. We've been fairly successful at that. But as Axel, you pointed out earlier, there's been a lot of change. On the board we have five new members coming on this year. We had five new members last year, so that's pretty substantial, and three before that. So in the last three years we've -- I think that those numbers are correct. We've got 13 new members on the board. So that's pretty significant. In fact, there -- you know, there are only three members left on the board that are not in their first year term, three or four. I don't know, Steve, you probably have this memorized. Something like that. But all the rest are in some

---

part of their first term on the board. So it's a relatively new board. So the -- the commitment that Akinori and I made in the past to continue to encourage our fellow board members to get engaged in the numbering community, we are still -- we have new people to now encourage and bring along and make sure they have an opportunity to understand what happens in RIRs, how is numbering policy development developed, how -- you know, what are the issues, what are the major concerns in the numbering community. Obviously that happens in those RIR meetings outside of ICANN. So we'll continue to do that. Did you have a comment, Axel?

AXEL PAWLIK:

Yeah, we recognize that especially your push there to meet with our community. That's great. That's lovely. We just had last week a meeting with you and our board. There's a standing invitation, and maybe that should be reiterated for the new members, to come to all of the RIR meetings -- well, I can't speak for you guys really, but I think it's the same. But certainly for the RIPE meetings, please do come. We are in Amsterdam, easy to reach the office and you're welcome in the office anytime. We have a nice barista and good coffee, too.

RON DA SILVA:

Steve.

---

STEVE CROCKER: Just to pick up on your point, yes, the topic certainly has been of very much my concern. We have a -- one of these demographic gaps that you see in different kinds of settings, you know, as if there was a big war or a loss to a generation. I'm leaving. Next year I think George and Mike Silber both time out. The year after that, Cherine finishes. And the year after that, in 2020, Chris. And so each of us will have had three 3-year terms. That means that all of the people who are currently on the board, other than the ones I've named, all are in first terms. Nobody in a second term. So it will be a learning process. And so a whole new crop of people. We've done much of what we can, and there will be much more that will take place in anticipation of this. There's quite a bit of consciousness about the learning curve. And so we're doing everything we can to transfer context to document processes, to build relationships, et cetera. But it will be a new day.

RON DA SILVA: Cherine.

CHERINE CHALABY: Now, I was going to say something different, but I'm reflecting on what Steve just said, and I think that the new board members



---

will have to come up to speed very quickly. An opportunity -- I mean, a pressure that in the old days we didn't have. And we had the time to settle in and -- but I think now is also the onboarding exercise and the effort. I feel that everybody is getting ready quicker, and I think the community feels it, and feel that with Steve's departure there was a smooth transition and that we're all in place and up to speed with the issues, so -- but we need the help from the NomCom here and also all of the appointing bodies to make sure to bring also not just new blood but also to bring some experience to fill in the gaps, if possible at all.

But going back to Axel's point about the meeting, I think there's one in Marseille coming, so it's already in my diary. I'm going to come, that's for sure. He also said we can go to the head office and have a cup of coffee, so that is not guaranteed, but we'll try that as well. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: We --

CHERINE CHALABY: I'm sorry, just to say something, that last year I was in -- in Mauritius and I went and visited AfriNIC but Alan was not there. He was on business in Africa. But I was so well-received by all his

---

team. They took me around every department and frankly, it was an eye opener and a worthwhile visit absolutely for me because I -- on the first hand, I can see how -- how they operate, how they work, what the challenges are, and also see that the magnificent work and the outreach they make and the training they provide for a huge number of people in the community. So we as a board, it's actually so beneficial for us to reach out, come and visit, come and see and be part of your -- just to learn so that whenever you need any -- anything from us, I don't think you need much, but whenever you need, at least we are in tune and we can help you and support you and be ready to be there of service. So thank you very much.

RON DA SILVA:

Thank you, Cherine. Alan, before I go to you, let me just -- we've heard from four of the five registries and I'm looking out into the audience here at Leslie wondering if she wants to come up and speak on behalf of ARIN at all. Is there somebody else? Is Nate hiding back there? Oh, there's Nate as well. So why don't -- as you come up, I'll ask Alan. Did you have something, Alan? No? Okay, Nate. Thank you.

NATE DAVIS:

Oh, excuse me. Nate Davis, from ARIN. Just to confirm, we're talking about the topic of essentially what each of the RIRs are

---

doing in their regions, building relationships. So in addition to some of the other things that the RIRs here have already spoken about, of course, we have this thing called ISTAR that we collaborate with the Internet Society and others, including ICANN. Similar to the other RIRs, ARIN does an enormous amount of outreach throughout also -- throughout the United States but also through Canada and the parts of the Caribbean that we represent. We do have a MOU/cooperative agreement with NARALO and we spend most of our time, unlike the RIRs, in that we don't spend as much time training but we spend a significant amount of time outreach and supporting the operations community, whether that be the Canadian operations -- operators community or North American Network Operators' Group. And that's really where ARIN is focused in regards to that. So I think we've been pretty successful over the years in establishing those relationships and building -- building support where ARIN is most effective consistent with its mission.

RON DA SILVA: Thank you, Nate. Did you still want the queue? Alan.

ALAN BARRETT: Hi, this is Alan Barrett again. Yes, I'd just like to reemphasize that we would welcome participation by ICANN board members or ICANN staff in AfrINIC meetings and if you want to visit our

---

office in Mauritius as Cherine has done, you're all welcome there too any time. Thank you.

RON DA SILVA: Kevin.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Kevin Blumberg, ASO AC. So on a personal level, having been to many of the regions, I find the communities to be extremely helpful and wanting to mentor where questions come in, among a range of many, many different industries, associations, and types of organizations, each with their own unique problems and skill sets. I've been on tours with a number of different facilities because people want to show and explain and help understand. One of the things that I've seen done in the ARIN region is the blog. Not the blog of ARIN staff but the blog of community members showing, here's how IPv6 is affecting us, here's how we're improving it, here's how you can do things. I think you'll find that the community is always willing to help. And that's what I've seen from my personal experiences over the years.

RON DA SILVA: Khaled.

---

**KHALED KOUBAA:** Thank you, Ron. I think as part of the board members, that in my region I need to recognize as well the work of RIPE in the Middle East and North Africa region. Their office here in the Bay is doing a great job with the community, so thank you for your support for that. I also would like to recognize the work of AfriNIC in my home country of Tunisia. I know that we have the support of the community. So thank you for that.

**RON DA SILVA:** Thanks, Khaled. We are at the bottom of our hour, and I would like to just close here and thank everyone for your participation in joining us. Akinori, do you have a closing comment?

**AKINORI MAEMURA:** Not really closing but thank you very much for this joint ASO and board meeting. And I need to (indiscernible) my colleagues as well because this is meant to be all board members participating here but we here in the ICANN meeting, we have a lot of conflict in the schedule and then obviously ccNSO had a conflicted meeting. So I've got the board member from the -- from the CC, Chris Disspain and Mike Silber, is, you know, sending you hi. So please accept their apologies. Thank you.

---

RON DA SILVA: Great. Thank you very much, Akinori. And that's a wrap. You guys enjoy the rest of your day. Thank you.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**