
ABU DHABI – Open Q&A with ICANN Organization Executive Team
Thursday, November 2, 2017 – 09:00 to 10:15 GST
ICANN60 | Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

DUNCAN BURNS: Okay. Good morning, and welcome to the ICANN Org Executive Team Q&A. Thank you for getting up early on the last day.

My name is Duncan Burns. I'm senior vice president of global communications and also managing director of the Washington, D.C. office. I'm going to moderate this session, and if there are any questions on my areas, I'll answer those as well.

First thing is, just a reminder about expected standards of behavior. We just ask that you bear that in mind throughout the session.

This session is going to be entirely an open Q&A, so we'll do some introductions and then it's over to you.

Once a question has been posed, you'll line up at the mic. A member of the executive team will answer.

Depending on the question, we may have to ask a subject-matter expert from ICANN org who is in the audience, and if we aren't able to answer it right here, we will post an answer on the ICANN President's page on icann.org in the coming weeks.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Also, just a note. For privacy reasons, there may be certain questions we aren't able to answer in the room in public, in which case we'll follow-up as appropriate.

So we have one mic for you to line up at once we open the floor. We're also doing remote participation and there is interpretation as well. So just as a reminder, please speak slowly and clearly. Give your name and any -- if you're representing anyone, please state that as well.

We're not going to do the two-minute clock today; try to keep it a little more informal. But do bear in mind that there may be other people behind you who do want to ask a question, and we want to give everyone a chance to ask a question if they have one.

So if you're participating remotely, there is an email address, engagement@icann.org and we encourage you to send in questions, and James Cole, who is our remote participation manager today will read them out.

Before we get started we would like the executive team to introduce themselves and Goran, is there anything you would like to say as you introduce yourself.

GORAN MARBY: Good morning.

-
- DUNCAN BURNS: Excellent.
- [Laughter]
- Yeah, it's a short Q&A.
- Let's start David Olive. Do you want to start and introduce yourself? And we'll come around this way.
- DAVID OLIVE: Yes. I'm David Olive, Senior Vice President for Policy Development Support.
- DAVID CONRAD: David Conrad, CTO.
- THERESA SWINEHART: Theresa Swinehart, Senior Vice President for Multistakeholder Strategy and Strategic Initiatives.
- SALLY COSTERTON: Sally Costerton, head of Stakeholder Engagement and Public Responsibility.

JOHN JEFFREY: John Jeffrey, ICANN's General Counsel and Board secretary.

AKRAM ATALLAH: Akram Atallah responsible for Global Domains Division.

XAVIER CALVEZ: Xavier Calvez, CFO.

JAMIE HEDLUND: Jamie Hedlund, head of Contractual Compliance and Consumer Safeguards.

SUSANNA BENNETT: Susanna Bennett, Chief Operating Officer.

TAREK KAMEL: Tarek Kamel, head of Government and IGO Engagement.

DIANE SCHROEDER: Diane Schroeder, Senior VP, Global HR.

GARY PETZER: Gary Petzer, Deputy CIO and Vice President, Engineering, sitting in for Ashwin Rangan today.

DUNCAN BURNS: Excellent. Thank you. And with that, the mic is open so if you have a question, please line up.

Okay.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, good morning. My name is Alfredo Calderon. I'm an ICANN fellow. I would like to say a couple of things. First of all, I'm from Puerto Rico. As you know, ICANN61 will be in Puerto Rico, and I want to thank Goran for his public acknowledgment that ICANN61 will be held in Puerto Rico, and we invite everybody in the audience, and this afternoon I'm going to repeat the announcement also as part of engaging more people to go to Puerto Rico.

Now, the second thing I want to mention is that we started during the ICANN meeting an initiative. We're going to ask everybody that is going to Puerto Rico if they have a used laptop that they can bring to Puerto Rico so we can use it, donate it to a school in Puerto Rico, since, as you all know, Puerto Rico has been having some trouble due to a couple of hurricanes that we had, and actually Hurricane Maria left me -- I fractured my hand.

Now, the comment that I have or the question that I have for the Board is part of your mission is to engage civil society in ICANN, since ICANN is a multistakeholder organization.

I personally have some difficulty when I'm navigating all the resources that ICANN has online in terms of documentation. So if I want to find a document, if I want to follow the documentation you have on certain issues, it's difficult for me. I have to invest too much time finding all the documents to get a sense of what the -- the activities that are going on in ICANN.

So my question is what is the Board doing to enhance the documentation management so that we can access resources easily?

DUNCAN BURNS:

Thank you, Alfredo. And we can let people know about the laptop initiative as well. Maybe we can follow-up afterwards.

I think on the documents, perfect timing. Today at 1:00 there is a session on the Information Transparency Initiative, which is an effort to bring improved governance to ICANN and particularly icann.org and our public-facing content starting with taxonomy, glossaries, multilingual presentation of documents but really trying to fix what you're talking about. We recognize we can be doing better, and the Board in Montevideo approved a budget to have us start tackling this multi-year foundational effort. So we're working on it, but come ask us more questions at 1:00.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Thank you.

GORAN MARBY: We talked about this a couple of times but it's an eight and a half million dollar initiative because right now we have 115,000 or something documents lying around of what is called icann.org. And I'm the first one to admit it's virtually impossible to find anything.

Maybe you need artificial intelligence to find something. I don't know.

Could I -- While everybody else is queuing up --

[Laughter]

-- the reasoning behind this is that you can come up. This is the only time during this meeting the executive team actually sits together because we're always doing something else. So I'm actually very happy to see my team. I haven't seen them for the whole week. But it's really we want you to ask us questions, and you can ask us any question you want.

AJAY DATA: Good morning. Thank you for this opportunity. I am Ajay Data from India. Part of USG member under the Ram Mohan

leadership and also co-chair for Neo-Brahmi Generation panel for doing manuscripts.

Very simple question for icann.org again. That is, we miss Indian scripts for icann.org. And if you see the fourth largest language spoken is Hindi. And eighth largest is Bengali. And top ten, we have two Indian languages and we see none.

So this is my request please to take a note of it and maybe we do something around it.

DAVID CONRAD:

Thank you, Dr. Data.

One of the aspects of the Information Transparency Initiative is to greatly facilitate the translation of our resources of documents that we have into the U.N. -- six U.N. languages. That, you know, looking at additional languages is beyond the scope of that particular project, but I'm sure as the community grows and we figure out ways of automating translation and that sort of thing that, you know, perhaps in the future we can look at other ways of making the -- our resources available to a wider audience.

AJAY DATA:

Thank you very much. If I can just add in a follow up, because it looks like the base which we are taking for the U.N. language selection might be a faulty one because ICANN is more centric towards community, not towards U.N. So my belief is that the community that comes here or that would like to participate with ICANN is not driven by U.N. standards, but they are driven by our own languages.

So maybe consider something different around that.

Thank you very much.

DUNCAN BURNS:

Thank you. And, Dr. Data, we have a public -- we have a language policy process that went through public comment five years or so ago that addresses some of this. To David's point, we may not be able to do everything now, but we also have signed various MOUs with different organizations to help with language localization, including in Thai and Korean and Japanese. It might be something else to consider, we can discuss.

Tijani, please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Good morning, my name is Tijani Ben Jemaa. I am vice chair of ALAC for one more day.

I would like to ask about the complaint office. We have now a complaint office for several months. I'd like to know if you received a lot of complaints? What kind of complaints? Was it person against person or person against constituency, constituency against person, et cetera? And did you find solution for those complaints?

I don't ask about details. I know this is something that we don't have to disclose, but to know what is the efficiency of this initiative.

Thank you.

GORAN MARBY:

Yeah, why don't we let the complaint officer answer the question. And by the way, the complaints that we get in are always open if the complainer doesn't request that it's closed. So most of them -- I think all of them are now open. So we can ask for details.

Krista.

KRISTA PAPAC:

Hi, Tijani, Krista Papac, complaints officer. Thank you for the question.

So to Goran's point, the complaints office process is actually a transparent process, so we do publish the complaints as well as the responses. The complaints get redacted for personal information, like email addresses and telephone numbers. And if there's something that the complainant wishes to have redacted, we would typically honor that.

We publish this information on icann.org, which I know we just talked about in a different context but the complaints office has its own Web page, and I publish a report monthly, five working days -- excuse me, business days after the end of the month. It's updated with all the new complaints that came in as well as any responses that have been sent out.

So the current report is actually for the month ending September 30th, has 18 complaints. I have actually received two more in October, and I have maybe a third -- I have a heads up that I might be getting a third one which will take us to 20 or 21.

The responses -- So the complaints themselves have had -- they're kind of -- there's quite a variety in there. They're not so much person-to-person. And just to make sure it's clear to everybody, the complaints are about the ICANN organization, about the company itself and things we're doing, but they have not really been as much personal as they have been about some experience somebody has had.

Some of the complaints we can't do anything about because, like, for instance the first complaint, they wanted us to change a policy that -- you know, a consensus policy, which everyone knows the organization does not have the authority to touch that. That's a community-driven aspect. And so in those cases, the way that we respond to them is with education, helping them -- trying to help them understand exactly how the process works.

The other -- We have received complaints related to some sort of operational issue that someone's had with the organization, and in those we've either addressed the issue right away if possible. We have one that I think we had three or four or five different things that we needed to address. About three of them we were able to address right away, and then we made a commitment to when we would address the remaining items.

So there are kind of quite a variety there.

And then the last thing I would maybe point you to as a resource is we did have a session on Monday morning here to talk about this a little bit, too, and if you're interested, you could go listen to the recording.

So thank you for the question.

JOHN LAPRISE: John Laprise. Thank you for having this meeting this morning. I'd like to go around the table, please. What are the greatest challenges you face interacting with SOs and ACs? We don't often have this opportunity to ask you what challenges you're having dealing with us. We'd like to hear it.

CHRIS DISSPAIN: David, do you want to start?

GORAN MARBY: We have absolutely no problems.

[Laughter]

David?

DAVID OLIVE: Thank you. I'd like to start. That's a very good point to be made. I'd like to start by saying it's really the question of the time and the scheduling of various discussions, working groups, and things like this, that we know people are very busy. Many of them have other day jobs, if you will.

And ICANN volunteers -- it's important to make sure that their time is well spent and not wasted.

And so, with the various press of business, the meetings we have to have, the additional consultations, I always worry about how best to fit that into the proper puzzle so that the leaders can understand the questions, consult with their constituencies and their groups, and come up with the answer that they always want to have. So, to that extent, we always get answers. But the question is the timing to allow them to do that.

DAVID CONRAD:

For the office of the CTO, I suspect, in addition to timing and availability related questions, it may be awareness on the parts of the SOs and ACs that the office of the CTO is actually available for interactions to answer questions, to pursue topics of interest of the SO and ACs.

My group is primarily oriented towards providing the information to the community to help them make the policy decisions and policy discussions that they want to entertain. But we have difficulty identifying the things that you want unless you come and ask us. So I would encourage the SO and ACs to engage with the office of the CTO staff and myself. And, you know, if there's questions you have about the technologies or the way the identifier systems work, we'll be happy to answer them.

THERESA SWINEHEART: I think, in addition to what's been said, my team has responsibility for both the reviews and strategic planning work and other activities that really cut across the entire community. So really looking at how to ensure the workload areas on the volunteer community and the pacing around that in partnership with other departments and other areas of work. In particular -- obviously, the policy area. Because that often relies on a similar volunteer base and managing that workload in partnership with the community.

SALLY COSTERTON: Thank you so much for the question. And, if I may say so from my perspective, the fact that we're having this session and you asked that question is indicative of the increasingly strong partnerships that I certainly experience with the teams that work with me, which is the engagement team, the public responsibility team, and the ICANN meetings team

And the community both community members and community leaders here at ICANN meetings and ongoing all around the world, including our newcomer programs as well.

I've been here at ICANN now for five years, just about a month more than five years. And I honestly can say that I've never experienced more constructive working partnerships with the committee members and structures. Nothing's ever perfect.

But I would love to take this opportunity to make that observation. And more, please. This is working well. And my team and I appreciate it. Thank you.

JOHN JEFFREY:

I just had getting the answers to questions or accessing the information that we need tends to be relatively easy individually, more from the participants than the SOs and ACs.

I think the hard thing is the same thing we face as an organization is how to access the details of the policies and the work that's going on on an ongoing basis. So I'm lucky enough to have a team that can help me, because they're watching those issues. But I can imagine how hard it is, if you're an individual community member, trying to access those things. And it's a continuous challenge for all of us to make the information that we're all working on more accessible.

AKRAM ATALLAH:

Hi. So we have a large constituency that we deal with, the contracted parties. And it is -- the biggest difficulty, I guess, is to understand the priorities of the work that's required for me, for example, when the loudest voice comes into the microphone and says this is important and stuff. Does that represent the whole constituency?

And then we have a lot of contracted parties that don't participate in the registry stakeholder group or the registrar stakeholder group. So how to kind of get them to also understand what their challenges are and how we can help them as well. So these are some of the biggest challenges that we have. Thanks.

GORAN MARBY:

Thank God I was not the first one. I've now been around for 18 months. And I think I'm still learning.

If I go to the concerned part first and be positive in the end, one thing I'm really concerned of is that we together constructed process as a way of working that makes it very bureaucratic sometimes. That's good in a way that it's transparent. It creates transparency and the ability to respond to things. But sometimes we constructed them on top of each other.

And one of the conversations we're having right now is that how do we technically come up with a discussion about the five-year strategic plan added to 12 reviews, budget processes, PDPs, all of them, and including a lot of other stuff that goes on.

So I think that's one of things that we need to sort out to make sure that we have time for what we're here for. Because it takes

a lot of strain on all of you. I'm tired after a week here. Bet you're tired as well. And it's very intense.

On the positive side, I would like to echo what some of the others said. For every meeting I've been around -- and maybe it's because I understand more, even if I don't understand about 75% of the acronyms, I'm starting -- there are many very good discussions within the community. And often I -- at least I think that we ask tough questions, but we also move ahead.

And that's a very positive sign.

So there is nothing -- I think we have to work together and continue working together. It's an evolving process of the work between ourselves.

And also defining of our roles in a positive -- in a more clear way.

God, that was a hard question.

XAVIER CALVEZ:

Thank you for asking the question. I think it's a very interesting one. From my perspective, I think the interaction is quite easy and very constructive. It does rely on a lot of individual connections. So personal connections with -- been developed over time and over working together. And the access, therefore, to the SOs and ACs is quite easy from that perspective. That also

means that developing relationships across the entire community is important to have those accesses when they're less straightforward or clear. And, as Akram was saying a little bit earlier, sometimes it's a bit more difficult to understand who in an organization has a particular either role or interest in certain specific topics. Because that's probably the person you would want to talk to when we have either a question or an input to seek.

So there's a number of organizations within the community that I know I have struggled to access to simply because they're busy. They don't necessarily have an innominate or declared interest about the topics that I want to speak with them about.

But, again, relationships that help accessing and developing interest and then creating those channels of communication. So that's the -- that's what I want to continue doing is getting more and more people to know and, therefore, having those channels of communication.

JAMIE HEDLUND:

So two quick things. First I want to use this as a shameless opportunity to plug for more SO and AC input into the consumer safeguards role. We've had a webinar that was very well attended. We have had meetings with numbers of members in leadership and others from the community on the role and on

the agenda and the topics that we should be dealing with. This is something that was developed out of the community. And it would be great if we got even more input from the community on what we should be focusing on in consumer safeguards.

Second thing I would mention is there's this GDPR thing. And I've been really -- it's, obviously, a very complicated set of issues. And for compliance it's particularly challenging because of the existing WHOIS obligations and other related registration data obligations and balancing that against the newish regulations. So I've been -- it's been great to see so many from, not just the contracted parties, but the non-contracted parties as well help educate me on what people are doing now, what people think they might be able to do. I'm reasonably optimistic that we will be able to reach solutions both on a temporary and permanent going forward basis. Thanks.

SUSANNA BENNETT:

Like others I want to thank you for that question. It's very constructive.

From an operations perspective, I'd like to emphasize a couple things. I'd like more feedback, for example, to the new accountability indicators and to the correspondence process. We'd definitely welcome more feedback. And to many others as well.

But, just thinking about this question is so constructive. I wonder if we can structure something on a regular basis that we continue to think about that and how we can continue to build our collaboration. Thanks again.

TAREK KAMEL:

Thank you for the question. Our team in government and IGO engagement is working mainly with attracting governments and IGOs to participate in ICANN processes and primarily the GAC.

The multistakeholder model at ICANN is definitely not necessarily very known by newcomers from governments, specifically from the developing world.

So we had agreed with the GAC leadership and the underserved working group that we work together on capacity building programs with other departments in ICANN in order to ensure that we lower the barrier to participation for new GAC members that are coming or from members of the underserved regions so that their participation becomes really effective and more and more active within ICANN's multistakeholder processes. That is definitely new to some of them. And show to them and illustrate how effective the participation could be within ICANN's processes for governments and IGOs.

Thank you.

DIANE SCHROEDER: With responsibility for the org and all of the people that make up the org, I think the biggest challenge is making sure that we have the best possible people interacting with the SOs and ACs at the right level with all of the right skill set for how complex our work is and how very quick and changeable our work is so that we keep meeting those needs going forward.

GARY PELTZER: I'm going to change that. What we'd like to see, in engineering and IT we do a lot of development that supports the SOs and ACs out there. At the moment we go and we work based on what is fed to us. We'd really like to get input from you earlier rather than later so that we are not having to perpetually having to reinvent or redo things. So commitment from you to work with us as we develop new products to support you.

DUNCAN BURNS: And I think, from a communications and language services point of view, it's keeping up with the sheer volume of everything you do. Thinking about how to communicate and help people understand policy development advice, development is extremely hard. It's very complex. How do you help people put that into plain English? How do you help translate that in time

for a public comment, for an announcement? I think that's one of the real challenges we face. There's so much going on, and how do you prioritize against that? You've been very patient. Thank you.

HEATH DIXON:

My name is Heath Dixon. I would like to thank you all for those answers and now get back to the problems we're all having with you.

I attended a meeting yesterday between the Commercial Stakeholder Group and the contracted party house and one of the major topics was GDPR.

I would like to thank Jamie for mentioning GDPR so I wasn't the first one to mention it. One of the members of the Commercial Stakeholder Group asked the registrars, Why don't you go and talk to ICANN compliance and get some answers from them? Take them some proposals, ask them to help you brainstorm some ideas for how to comply with the GDPR. The representatives from the Registrar Stakeholder Group had to say in the meeting that they had asked in a prior meeting with compliance not that exact question but a very similar question and that they had been told by compliance that compliance was not in the business of helping us come up with solutions.

Now, I'm oversimplifying the answer there. But I was in the meeting between the registrars and compliance, and I actually asked the question: How can we work together better? Can we start coming to you and saying, Hey, we've got a problem, can you help us think of solutions? And I had figured that the answer I was going to get back was, Sure, let's figure out a way to do that.

But instead the answer that I got was no. I was told several reasons why compliance can't help us with solutions to problems, that they need to wait until there's a problem.

I was told that registrars are different, that they don't want to share proprietary information.

But the problem that we have is that the compliance team sees problems across all of the contracted parties. They see solutions that different contracted parties are coming up with. So compliance is in a unique position to have a lot of information about all of the problems and all of the solutions that the contracted parties are facing. And so it feels like compliance should be able to share that information with us to help us solve some of the hard problems that we face, not just GDPR, but problems across the contracted parties.

So I'd like to hear what are your thoughts about that. Is that the right answer, that compliance is not supposed to be sharing that

information with us and not supposed to be helping us brainstorm solutions? Or is there possibly a different answer and a way we can work together more?

GORAN MARBY:

Can I start and then hand over to Jamie?

First of all, when we are seen as rigid, it's because we are really trying to preserve the policies set by the community. And that is we don't have the opportunity -- I'm saying this not because you don't know it. I'm saying it because it has to be said. And the policies are set by the community, and we cannot override that. So that's right.

And many times when I get those questions, why don't you do things a certain way, it's because -- I usually say it's the law or it's the policy. And I always try to have a bass voice when I say that. Because in the heart of all of this, in the heart of this, is the protection of the community compromises and discussions and everything else. And compliance should not be a place where you are sort of able to overthrow or take the last bite of the apple in that discussion.

With that said, there could be occasions where, like the GDPR, where something happens and has an effect. And I think I spent

a whole week going through the same speech seven times, so I won't do that.

But the question is that we are now engaged with everybody to try to figure out the answer if and who are data controllers and how will compliance with the law look like and so on. So we don't have to go back to that.

But you also asked me this question a couple days ago, I can't remember which day. And now I will hand over to Jamie.

JAMIE HEDLUND:

Thanks for the question. And I also very much appreciated the engagement we had -- or the back and forth we had during yesterday's meeting. As I said then, I think it's an issue we need - the issue of cooperation, collaboration among -- between compliance and contracted parties is one we need to think through more. I think it's a complicated one for some of the reasons that Goran just mentioned.

But at the same time, you know, we all have an interest in compliance. And if there's a way of reaching the goal of compliance that requires or that has a better shot of happening, so long as there is this back and forth and collaboration, I think that can be helpful.

With particularly respect to the GDPR, there has been a lot of discussion at this meeting, and before and I'm sure after, about the challenges of complying both with the contractual obligations as well as the GDPR. And I think on that we have made several pleas for parties to come forward with potential solutions, both on a temporary basis as well as longer term. And I hope that we will have an announcement soon that will highlight -- that will indicate that the contractual compliance will defer enforcing some of the existing contractual obligations under certain conditions, including the contracted parties share with us the model that they intend to follow, they share the rationale about how they believe that model satisfies, you know, both to the greatest extent possible -- complies with the GDPR as well as the greatest extent possible existing obligations. And then, finally, is not just a wholesale abandonment of the WHOIS and related requirements.

As Goran has said, if we're here and there's zero, we know we're going to end up somewhere in between. We're very much interested in those models and seeing those models that are in between that can help fuel the legal analysis. But if someone comes in and says we're just not going to do it, that's -- we would not be able to defer enforcement there.

AKRAM ATALLAH:

If I may just add one thing. So the Global Domains Division is here to support the contracted parties in efforts and changes to the way they operate. We have, for example, ways to look at services that the registry can do through the RSEP process, or if somebody has a process that they would like to introduce to help them be more in compliance with local law, for example. That's one avenue.

Another one is to actually work through the WHOIS conflict with local law waiver procedure. So there are a lot of different avenues for us to work with you on getting a solution. If you have one that you want to apply, we can -- we can help you vet it and make sure it will work for you.

And on the registrar side also, if you have something that you'd like us to help you with, then just make -- reach out to your account liaison and make sure that you share with them what you want to do. We'll vet it through, and we'll get back to you on that. Thanks.

HEATH DIXON:

Heath Dixon again. I knew when I mentioned GDPR, it might side track the discussion. And I debated whether I should do that because it was the context in which the question had come up in the CSG/CPH meeting.

I appreciate the offer to work with the GDD representatives. The real question that I'm trying to get at, though, is: When it comes to compliance, is compliance only about chasing down problems with the contracted parties? Or can the role of compliance be to help us also come up with solutions to those problems that are compliant with our obligations under the contracts and under policy?

GORAN MARBY:

May I fully answer that question? GDD has that role, and there are policies set to be able to help with certain cases. But then, again, it's not easy to work with compliance at all. And I think they're doing a very good job.

We all do mistakes. We all do things, sometimes the things we say are misrepresented or misquoted.

But we're all here. You can talk to me, Akram, or Jamie or anyone else. And I don't think that you could say that this week we've been sort of unlistening or not taking things that you said into account. We're a team working together.

Sometimes we -- it's easy for us to set acronyms also on us. We represent many acronyms here, including mine. But the thing that's a common enabler is that they all report to me.

So we're trying to figure out a way to work together with you to solve a specific problem that are raised now. We are learning a lot of things from that. We are learning a lot of things from this process.

It's the first time ever ICANN, the whole trinity of us, has been challenged with legislation. And I'm not judging on the legislation. Has an effect on our ability to make policy.

Let's continue to work together. We will answer as many questions as we can. As Jamie actually indicated, we are coming out with an announcement how to do deal with this very, very soon from a compliance perspective. Thank you. And thank you for the question.

HEATH DIXON: Thank you.

DUNCAN BURNS: Next in line, please.

VAHAN HOVSEPYAN: Thank you. Vahan Hovsepyan, returning fellow from Armenia. So thanks to ICANN that provides open opportunities and equal opportunities to all people to come and express its thanks.

But I like this world underserved regions. And if ICANN is providing the services to all the regions, to all the world, we should also understand that in some regions there are -- the services should be provided taking into account the readiness of market to take the services and to understand what is the value of these services.

So I do think it should be a differentiated approach to different regions in the world. I do think that there should be more efforts like the engagement offices, more fellowships, more work with the governments so they can understand the value of ICANN, more information sessions because in that case -- otherwise, we have also very tricky processes that can bring to the national segmentation of Internet in some countries because they are quite well-developed already and they might do something to help this national segmentation. (indiscernible).

So I do think that differentiated approach and more efforts should be put in these regions. I don't detail which regions.

TAREK KAMEL:

I will start with the governments part, and maybe then Sally wants to comment on the regional offices part.

We work mainly in a demand-led engagement. So when we had developed the capacity-building program with the underserved

region, the demand came in a GAC communique from the underserved regions working group within the GAC asking for specific capacity-building programs in order to ensure that the newcomers from the underserved region are active and effective for their participation as governments within ICANN's processes. So there was a clear requirement in this aspect in addition to some thematic issues, for example, like law enforcement, very specifically the training that we have been doing in Johannesburg.

So the requirement comes from the community, in this case, in our case, in the governments' case, from the GAC. And we try within ICANN org to respond in cooperation between the different departments and according to the available resources.

Does this solve everything? The answer is definitely no. There are further challenges definitely for governments that we try to respond to and while we move forward in our engagement with governments. But maybe, Sally, you want to continue.

SALLY COSTERTON: Very quickly. Excuse me.

Yes. When we're looking at working with the community leaders in the regions and community members in the regions, we have

to consider a few things. Firstly, is what we're doing in scope? Is it in ICANN's mission?

Secondly, is what we're doing scalable? Are we using tools and techniques that allow us to maximize every hour, every dollar, so that the maximum amount of outreach and participation is an outcome of that activity and can we be more creative about that? Yes. Can we use online -- a combination of online and face-to-face resources better? Yes. And we spend more and more time on the org side trying to look at how we do that and working with our regional engagement teams and offices to create the most value that we can in a region to drive our participation.

We have to consider sustainability. Ultimately, ICANN has only a certain amount of money. We all only have a certain amount of time and energy. And together with our community partners, we have to try to prioritize what is going to be the very best solutions recognizing that things don't stand still.

We have new opportunities all the time to do things better and differently. And certainly from my perspective, I think, you know, we're seeing much greater participation than we ever have done before from some of the countries you're referring to, many of them. But there's a long way to go. We're not done yet. Thank you for the question. It's a very important issue.

DUNCAN BURNS: Thank you. Next question, please.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Good morning, Stephen Deerhake from the ccNSO. This is to directed to Goran and Xavier and has to do with the reserve. Like it or not, we live in a time where a single tweet can cause a severe global economic shock and frankly, as Xavier knows from prior conversations I've had with him, I do not feel that the current reserve level is sufficient. I realize there have been something like 6 million additionally been getting put into it this year, but I really think it's past time for ICANN to direct a discussion, dialogue with the community to take another look at what we're going to do to bump this up because I ideally feel it should be 12 months. It's much less than that now. Of course, the elephant in the room are the auction proceeds. But I think we, as a community, need to initiate a serious discussion about how we're going to further protect ICANN financially from any conceivable global economic shock.

GORAN MARBY: Thank you. And thank you for your continued support. Just to give you a little bit of background on this, the ICANN budget is set every year. But what not many people think about is most of

the things that are in that budget is the result of decisions already made by the community. And I always do this round. IANA functions cost close to \$11 million. To run the meetings three times a year it costs between 13 and \$15 million. Travel program, \$3 million. We need to have compliance. We need to have GDD. So it sort of stacks up fairly fast because of the ICANN structure in other decisions.

The reserve funds, the size of the reserve fund is also sort of a result of community decisions because we took -- we financed the transition out of the reserve fund. And that's why it could be seen, and I agree with you, low. So -- and we will not go into the discussion about the auction funds because that clearly belongs in the community, and I think there is a session about it right now. As we speak. But that's sort of the background of it. So to be able to fill up the -- the reserve fund from operational money would mean that we also have to have a very serious discussion about some of the things that we have had made decisions about, which is a part of how we do things. I leave it over to Xavier.

DUNCAN BURNS:

Xavier, anything else you want to add?

XAVIER CALVEZ:

Just a few data points. So Stephen knows that there is a public comment currently going on on the reserve fund, it's rationale, and its target levels, exactly the topics that Stephen is pointing out to. And for everybody else, please know that Stephen is a very strong advocate of doing the right thing relative to the reserve fund and we've had several discussions about it. So it's a very important position to reflect, and I'm hoping you'll have a chance to put some comments through the public comments so that that voice is brought -- broadly recorded as well. And a lot of other people will provide their own views. I think that we need to be cautious. We have a fiduciary duty of having a sustainable organization to deliver on the mission, and the reserve fund is a very strong pillar of that sustainability. So it's very important that we do address the point that you mentioned. I think it also needs to be a reasonable amount of reserves that -- that is put aside. We currently have a target, as Stephen indicated, of 12 months of operating expenses. That is the recommendation in the document that's currently under public comment. And as Stephen indicated, we are very much lower than that. We are at approximately 45% of that target. So approximately 60 million instead of the 140 million or so that we should have in reserves. And there is a strong focus on that right now. The paper that's under public comment illustrated -- illustrates it, sorry. And the board is extremely focused on it as well.

So as you said, we are -- the board has in front of them this afternoon a decision to allocate 5 million of past years' excesses into the reserve fund to demonstrate that importance. But it's the beginning. There's a lot more to go. And we -- we do need to address that point with community input over the next few months and years. Thank you.

DUNCAN BURNS: Thank you. Next question, please. Wolf-Ulrich.

WOLF-ULRICH KNOBEN: My name is Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen. I'm the chair of the ISPCP constituency and I would like to come back to the question of how to cooperate between us within the community and you as the ICANN org. And I would come back to what Xavier was saying, you know, the cooperation relies, to most parts, on personal relations between us. So I am -- I know what I'm talking about. It took me years, you know, to get up to that level, to get familiar with all these people. And that is more a problem for newcomers and people who are not that long time here in the ICANN community. I would like that you also take this into consideration.

I do not have a problem with getting quick reaction times from your part, from your side, up to the CEO because I have the

privilege well to have one-by-one calls with the CEO as well and that helps me a lot to understand what's going on. But not all of the people of the community are having this privilege to do so.

On the one hand I -- I welcome to have these calls, and I would like to ask Goran as well that you continue on that. Also, it may be to some extent frustration to you as well to spend time with us on those calls.

So the reaction time, coming back to that, depends a lot of -- on the complexity of issues, on the one part. On the other hand, it depends on how you are dealing with that inside the organization. And that leads me to my request of to keep your organization as lean as possible so not to, in the future, if it comes up to the question of structural terms, not to complicate the organization so that we really know which channels we have to be -- we have to contact and that we get short response time to our issues.

The very last -- no, okay, please. I have another quick question.

GORAN MARBY:

You're pointing at something that I always think is so important, and that's why we -- if you look back one and a half years, we've done a lot of things to improve the sort of interaction. And this is one of them. The calls you refer to -- between all ICANN

meetings, I do 21 calls with the -- all the constituency leaders, which is important. In this meeting here I also have a meeting with the SO and AC leadership to talk about processes and other decision-making. And we also added a complaint office to be able for anyone to complain to us. We added a safe -- a safeguard position as well to have interaction with that. During the GDPR we at several points have gone out and asked the community for input. It is something that we -- we are -- we are an evolving process. We have the CEO report that we're doing. Come to think of it, we've done a lot actually. The board has now open sessions and it's -- it's a journey and not a goal. And we are also working internally to address -- Susanna is the process generally internally. We're working a lot with internal processes, big and small. I got a compliment that we now answer letters and publish them. We set a process in place. A lot of those things, to really try to get better at communication. But let's -- let's ask me next time as well, and I will give you new examples. And we try to be as open and positive as well. And I think the ITI, the transparency initiative we're doing with the new Documentation Management System can do that as well. Because we also spend resources trying to find documentation. I sometimes -- I once said that I think that the ICANN -- ICANN is the only organization ever with built in amnesia because we can't find any documentation. Is that on record now? Thank you very much.

DUNCAN BURNS: You had one more question?

WOLF-ULRICH KNOBEN: Yes. The very last one, a request. I would like to make you aware of when we come to these meetings here and we are sitting in working rooms, where the work is going to be done, not in the big halls, where we just exchange opinions, it is essential to have tea and coffee available. It's also -- because people coming, you know, from a board, you know -- the first two days at least, you know, they would like -- they need something to keep them up. Thank you.

GORAN MARBY: Thank you. This meeting, I think we have 352 running sessions or something. Takes a lot of coffee.

DUNCAN BURNS: Next question, please.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Good morning. My name is Caleb from Nigeria. I'm a first-time fellow. I've seen that the GDPR is taking center stage in the ICANN discussions and engagements that has been ongoing. Sorry that I have to bring you back to the GDPR issue. So my

major question is, the GDPR specifically is focused on European organizations and entities that are within European organizations. But my question is, the -- or rather I will make a comment first and then a question.

The African countries that we have, we have about 14 countries that already have a data protection regulation and about 10 to 13 countries are remotely having views or legislations also in place. Now, these are individual entities that are separate from the European Union, and obviously the European Union regulations cannot take over whatever domestic rules or regulation that the African countries do have. So my question now is, how does this GDPR affect our own African digital economy from the ICANN perspective, and what is ICANN trying to do to actually work with the African GAC and see what things can be done to resolve such issues?

GORAN MARBY:

This is a very interesting question because what we talk about GDPR, it's a European legislation that affects the European concept, you're right. But one of the problems, and I always have to put ifs in, one of the ifs in all of this is that we can end up having WHOIS which are different in different parts of the world. And I think that is something that the community has to address from a policy standpoint. I foresee and I hope for a continuous

policy discussion about the future of WHOIS. And that could have an effect -- will, of course, have an affect how WHOIS will be seen in other countries. And also the custom -- because I -- so GDPR is a good acronym for legislation, but it's also -- which I've said so many times -- we have a session that next after this session we are going to talk about GDPR again. I'm really looking forward to it. But the effect on the sort of governance model of ICANN with this kind of legislation has to be discussed further.

So I don't have the right answer to you, but the question is right. And we should have that -- we should talk about that in community. Thank you very much.

DUNCAN BURNS:

Thank you. Tapani. And if anyone else has a question please come up. We'll close the queue shortly.

TAPANI TRAVAINEN:

I'm Tapani Tarvainen, outgoing chair of the noncommercial stakeholder group. I have just a small little problem. I'm not quite sure this is a communications problem even within the executive team or a technical problem. I suspect it would be David Conrad's task.

I have had some ad hoc working groups in the like communicating by email that turns out to be using huge cc lists and people get lost. Sometimes people are missing on those. So as you have commendably more to -- mailmen which makes it very easy to create mailing lists, even to the point it can be delegated to secretaries to create them as needed, is there some reason that it's not being used as much as it could be? Do not your executive team members even don't even know how easy it is to create lists or you have some bureaucratic reasons that make it difficult?

DUNCAN BURNS: Gary, is that one you wanted to take?

GORAN MARBY: No, I think it's David.

DUNCAN BURNS: David. One of the David's.

DAVID OLIVE: I'm happy to start because a lot of that work relates to the beginning of a working group or some community group. The first thing they want to do is establish a mailing list so they have communication amongst themselves and that's how we, of

course, engage and interact with them and how you conduct your business. So to that extent, that is really rather straightforward. I don't know if you're referring to other things, but that's generally how it -- how it starts. And that's done through our secretariat function within the SO and ACs.

DAVID CONRAD:

So I'm aware of some of the challenges of maintaining the CC lists and creating mailing lists within the existing ICANN structures is probably a little more complicated than it needs to be given that we are running mailmen and there are mechanisms by which it can actually be made to be relatively straightforward.

We're hoping that with the development of the Information and Transparency Initiative that we'll have better mechanisms by which we can engage with community members and by which community members can engage with us. And that may be one of the avenues that we can look at as a way of facilitating the development of sort of broadcast mechanisms for communications among sort of ad hoc groups that come and go relatively quickly.

Input on, you know, those communication mechanisms is something that we would especially value in the context of the

ITI, Information Transparency Initiative, Project. So very much appreciate that question. Thank you.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thank you.

DUNCAN BURNS: Any other questions? We probably have time for one or two more. We have two. I think we might have to close the queue after this.

PAUL DIAZ: Morning, all. Paul Diaz from the Registry Stakeholder Group. Just a question and just an information share communicating with my colleagues in other constituency groups.

At the beginning of the year, the registries wrote a letter. We were very frustrated with a number of issues we were having with staff. I'm pleased to report that that resulted in a genuine improvement in communication collaboration. We have a number of initiatives going on with Akram's GDD staff. And it's working well. We're making progress, good dialogue. It was unfortunate, though, that we had to write the infamous love letter to get us to that point, but it's a good output.

I had less of a question for the board than just -- or this executive team than a request to please take to heart, we just came from an early morning meeting, SO/AC leaders and staff, starting to plan for ICANN61 and beyond. And the request is that we have -- continue to have genuine dialogue and a willingness to do things differently when it comes to planning these meetings. Goran just mentioned we have over 350 sessions here at ICANN60. The schedule feels extremely compressed. We lost Friday somehow, for all intents and purposes.

As we look ahead to 61, as we look ahead to the next policy forum next year, there are significant differences of opinion across the constituent groups about what those sessions should look like.

And it's going to require ultimately, I think, leadership on the part of the team in front of me to start saying no to some of the requests for meetings. Otherwise, we're just going to continue in the cycle that we've had for the last two years under the processes put in place by meeting strategy work group where it feels we're not making really meaningful progress in a lot of our discussions. Or there are very strong frustrations about unmet expectations, the time that we do have, that we do spend together.

These are expensive, time-consuming weeks that we spend in ICANN. We all want to get more out of it. So I guess just a question is: Can we make a commitment, us to you and you to us, that we genuinely will do something different that hopefully will be better moving forward? Not just the wash-rinse-repeat cycles that it feels to many of us like we've been going through for the last two years.

GORAN MARBY:

Could I start and then you, David? First of all, thank you for the compliment. And as Paul knows, we started the conversation before the love letter.

I didn't think that letter was that bad. I have no problems of people addressing things that we have to look at. But the process started before that, and I'm very happy that you see the result.

When it comes to the meetings, I'm sitting here -- I woke up on Wednesday -- sorry, on Tuesday and I thought, great, I got Wednesday fatigue. That was on a Tuesday. And I am well aware -- I want to end this, by the way -- I have many of my staff here -- to give them a big applause because the amount of work my team sets in to make those meetings happening is also great work for the community.

And when we change things like this and we come in, we really put a lot of effort that the community is the one who decides about the sessions and takes great responsibility.

What I'm hear -- and we also -- a while back ago, I set up a meeting with the SO and AC leadership about should we talk about the meetings and have a general one. And I think we have that paper out after that right now. So I think it's a perfect time for us, if you want to, because this is in your hands to engage in discussion how we should continue doing this, not only from a financial standpoint. As I mentioned, these are big investments that we do but also more important from a human capital thing, to make sure that we get out of it what we're supposed to do.

I'm very happy to engage in discussion, and I take your open-handed invitation in a very positive view.

I don't know if you want to say something, David.

DAVID OLIVE:

Yes, and I think Sally Costerton, my colleague, as well in terms of the collaboration at the executive team level.

But here, as you mentioned, Paul, we had the ICANN61 planning session with the community leaders. This is, again, a new development that we've done; and this has been very successful. We're just completing ICANN60 and, yet, we had a full room of

the leaders in over 30 of them in the room concerned and expressing their views about the planning for our meeting in Puerto Rico.

And that spirit of cooperation and engagement and interaction of how to manage that properly, have the priorities that you need to get the work done, that's an important development and milestone in the collaboration and partnership between the SO/AC groups and, of course, ICANN organization.

Sally, you were also part of that meeting.

SALLY COSTERTON:

I'm conscious of the time. The only other thing I would add, just as it's kind of just happened, the paper Goran referred to contained a couple of specific potential changes to the policy -- sorry, to the existing meetings strategy working group policy that Paul referred to, in particular on the possible duration of meetings.

We had a fairly brief discussion with this group of leaders this morning as to how this might be forwarded. And the conclusion that was rapidly reached was that we should put the possible options out for public comment. So we will -- we will -- as the organization, we will take the first stab at doing that. We will coordinate -- as David says, this is a very collaborative process

with the leadership on how exactly to structure that public comment in order for to get as much as we can to the call, the meat, if you will, of the kind of changes that the community might or might not be prepared to make.

And I think that is really the nub of your comments. That's what I take out of this, is in a way who's going to hold the pen or take the lead in trying to initiate some potential changes. And the answer is that the community is with -- using first the discussion we've had and then a following public comment. So that will be forthcoming. And thank you for giving us the opportunity to kind of raise awareness about it at this session.

PAUL DIAZ: Thank you.

GORAN MARBY: Thank you. While you walk away, maybe next time we can talk about having the morning sessions in the afternoon. I would really appreciate that.

DUNCAN BURNS: Last question.

DEVANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. My name is Dev Anand Teelucksingh, At-Large committee member.

Some of the things I have been involved with in outreach and engagement technology, one of the things I have noticed was something related to how ICANN names its various countries and territories. So there is the ISO list. But when I started doing research and trying to identify stakeholders in the country, I started realizing that all the different ACs and SOs give different names to the same countries and territories. So the GAC names - - GAC has a different name. The fellowship does it differently. Next gen sometimes differently, at-Large and so forth. So I would just -- this is not so much about the geographic regions review as such, deciding what countries and regions and so on, which is also important. But, perhaps, I could just ask for if there's any possibility to get some consistency across the ACs and SOs and how countries are documented within all the different ACs and SOs.

DUNCAN BURNS: David Olive, I think, perhaps.

DAVID OLIVE: Dev, we will look at that. Thank you very much.

[Laughter]

DUNCAN BURNS:

Okay. I think that's it for today's session. We will hopefully, depending on discussion, have this also in Puerto Rico.

As a reminder, if you've got any other questions, I think we've answered them all here, but if there were any, particularly the one on perhaps languages and Hindi and MOUs, happy to discuss afterwards.

Thank you all very much coming at 9:00 a.m. on the last morning of the meeting. Thank you.

[Applause]

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]