
SAN JUAN – At-Large Regional Leadership Meeting
Sunday, March 11, 2018 – 12:15 to 13:15 AST
ICANN61 | San Juan, Puerto Rico

GISELLA GRUBER: Just to make sure that we can actually get this session started, we will only have one hour. Can I just make sure that the chairs and the secretariats have got their lunch? If not, it's with Yesim. The chairs and secretariats. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I know there was an agenda published, but I made my own agenda because I wanted to change the agenda order. So, if we can go to the Wiki page, we'll use that one and not this one. Can we start? Are we all here? Yes? No? Do I need to do something to start the meeting or do we just start? Can we start? Okay, thank you so much.

Welcome, everyone. I hope your lunch is very good. Mine is still here. I will eat that after this.

The agenda that appears in the program, the way it's set up is different, but the topics that are here are the same as the other agenda. I just changed the order.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

We had a meeting before this face-to-face meeting with the regional leadership and we defined this as topics that we wanted to discuss during this meeting.

I just wanted first to know if anybody is objecting this agenda the way it is. I'd like to run the meeting this way. People like to run it a different way. But, the topics, like I said, are the same topics that we discussed on the last meetings are the ones that were there before. If I don't hear any objections, we'll consider this agenda as approved. Topics are down about right there.

The first topic that we're going to talk to is individual members. Those two topics ICANN 61 face-to-face At-Large regional leadership meeting agenda. Yes, sir?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Point of order, Mr. President. Can we have a roll call, please, to make sure that all the RALOs are represented? Also, I believe that there's also a guest present today at the table and I would like to make an announcement regarding a stand-in for EURALO. Perhaps we could do this in one minute, if that's okay with you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I guess so. Can we do a roll call? Then we can get into that. Thank you. If there are other points of order, please let me know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I can start. Thank you very much. Olivier Crepin-Leblond, EURALO chair. Next to me is Roberto Gaetano standing in as secretary for EURALO since Wale Bakare isn't able to be here physically present. Roberto, if you could confirm your presence, please.

ROBERTO GAETANO: I would never disagree with my chair.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Glenn McKnight, NARALO secretariat.

SATISH BABU: Satish Babu, chair APRALO.

ALI ALMESHAL: Ali Almeshal, vice chair APRALO.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Can we have a clock somewhere that we can look at? Just a running clock. That's what I need. Thank you. No, no, just let it keep it running. I'll use that just to pinpoint at what point in the meeting we discussed this. Thanks. Should we continue?

ALAN GREENBERG: Alan Greenberg, ALAC chair here as a guest at request.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Eduardo Diaz, NARALO chair and chairing this meeting.

JOHN MOORE: John Moore, I'm a hanger-on with Glenn.

JAVIER RUA: Javier Rua. ALAC member, guest.

NARINE KHACHATRYAN: Narine Khachatryan, ALS representative in APRALO and also associate member of EURALO individual association.

JOHN LAPRISE: John Laprise, ALAC representative from NARALO.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Tijani Ben Jemaa, not a guest but a speaker.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Seun Ojedeji, ALAC uninvited guest.

SARAH KIDDEN: Sarah Kidden, AFRALO secretariat.

MARITZA AGUERO: Maritza Aguero, LACRALO secretariat.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco, chair of the LACRALO.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Welcome, everyone. Can we move this a little bit down to see the items here? Who is in charge of doing that?

While we have the items that we are going to discuss, one of the things, we had a meeting before this, ICANN 61, to decide which items we wanted to discuss during this meeting. The items that you see there, like I said before, are the items that we decided that we wanted to talk about during this meeting.

Also, in that meeting, there was a decision that this meeting with all the regional leaders was happening like every two or three months before. I think one of the things that I propose is that we have a monthly meeting for all the regional leaders to synch up. But, the way we're going to chair this is this is my last ... I'm going to chair this meeting and the next meeting will be chaired by the LACRALO chair, since that's where we're going next. Then

we will do this going forward. We're going to do it in monthly meeting, but it will be chaired by wherever we're going next. That way, we can see different perspectives, different way of running meetings and we give a chance for everyone to lead this meeting, which I think is very important that we do.

With nothing else, let's talk about the individual members. Let me give you a brief explanation of what that is, because if you go down to item number six, the way I set up this type of meeting is I have discussion items. With these discussion items, we keep track of what we said before, so when we come back to a meeting like this a month from now, you know what we said because I find out that sometimes I go to a monthly meeting and I don't know what was said before, I have to go and read and hear the recordings, something that I don't usually do. Or most of us don't do.

In any case, the idea of the individual members that were doing different things in different RALOs, I believe there are four RALOs there right now. We have individual members and I believe LACRALO was the only regional organization that is not there yet, but if you can tell me what's happening there.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I am going to speak in Spanish.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Just make sure you mention your name.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: It is important to state that there is a governance group in LACRALO and one of the issues we dealt with was the participation of individual users. We understand that future operating principles of LACRALO are accepted and they are applied to individual users.

Now, the way in which they will participate will be determined by a set of rules. Those are the rules of procedure that will be amended. I think that in the mediation meeting we're going to have on Wednesday or Thursday, we should have more certainty that they should be ... Individual users should be incorporated to LACRALO. Thank you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have a question. These individual members, are they going to have one vote?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: This is exactly what we're going to discuss between Wednesday and Thursday. This is my personal opinion. I have a feeling that the individual members should have at least one vote. Now, they

can participate and we should not demand any formality or having bylaws or being certified as an ALS, because this would imply to go against the spirit of the law, even when there are a few voices within the LACRALO Council that they do want [inaudible] created as a certified ALS.

This, in my opinion, is an excuse to prevent individual participation. So, I personally believe that they should have a right to one vote with no need to have any other requirement. But, we will see this in the mediation meeting on Wednesday and Thursday. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alan, please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just a quick comment. In EURALO, the individual members are technically an ALS. In the rest of the regions, they are not. It does cause a little bit of problem in that, for instance, individual members in NARALO, we take votes. Staff does things for them.

The bylaws are pretty explicit about not providing support to ALSes, that ALSes must be self-sufficient in their own right. And by it being an ALS, it starts looking questionable. Are we treating this ALS more favorably than other ALSes?

So, to the extent that we can avoid the problem, it's better.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

One of the things we wanted to talk about individual members is exactly that. The RALOs, we treat the individual members in different ways. For example, in the case of NARALO, getting an individual member is a matter of sending an e-mail saying, "I want to become an individual member."

What happens is you become an individual member, but there is no process or anything that says how do you "decertify" an individual member that is doing nothing there? Satish, please.

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Eduardo. We do have a process for admitting individual members, which is to fill out a form and there is a due diligence scrutiny that is done by the staff.

But, we have a problem, an election process of identifying representative of the individual member because that's what our bylaw says.

Last time in Abu Dhabi, we are at general assembly and we had identified one of the individual members is the representative, without any process. The leadership simply decided.

So, now we have to create a process. The main problem is that individual members do not know each other. So, to make them an electorate is a little bit funny because they don't know who the other people are. So, that is why we stepped in and identified the person.

In future, we will have to change that and have a formal process, but we do have an entry process. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Ali, please.

ALI ALMESHAL: Just commenting on the recording of the last meeting, which was on the fifth of February. It actually says APRALO did not comment. I think because we have stopped at that point and we said we'll take it to the face-to-face meeting, that's why there was the comment here saying APRALO did not comment.

So, the comment, as Satish has just mentioned, right now we do have the process but it's not yet finalized. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Go ahead.

HADIA ELMINAWI:

I have to comment one for you, Eduardo. You were saying what's the point of having an individual member that actually does nothing. I think individual members are not ... My point of view, it's okay to have an individual member that does nothing because being aware of the process and what's happening, that in itself is something. So, that's awareness.

If he's there just following the mailing list and knowing what's happening, that's kind of awareness and that's okay as well.

Another comment for the APRALO chair, for Satish, that actually you were saying that you voted in a representative for the users. My point here, so you're creating the same system that's already existing. So, if you are voting in a representative to represent them, what different is this than what's existing where we are representing end users, but we do not really know the end users so it's like you're replicating this system into another system.

I don't know if this is really the model of the engagement of the end users that you're looking for. I would like your comment on that.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Ali, do you want to comment? Olivier, please. Oh. I'm sorry, Satish, go ahead.

SATISH BABU:

So, thank you for the comment, Hadia. I think what we have to keep in mind is that the individual membership category is new for all RALOs. That's number one.

Number two, bylaws do state how the election should be done. But, the details have to be [inaudible] out and the last [inaudible] was the first time that we [inaudible] individual members. We did not have sufficient time to flush out this step-by-step process. Plus, the individual members are very few numbered. Presently, we have 13. At that point, we had about five.

So, an election among five, well, it is something that is ... So, we decided that to start off the whole process, we will identify a person and that person will be invited. We'll pay travel, and [inaudible] who is very active in the policy circles, she came.

The next round, when we have a [inaudible] or we have the ATLAS meetings wherever it is, we will have to by then – that's what Ali mentioned – that is incomplete. The procedure is still to be created. That will be happening over the next few months.

But, the individual members at this point can participate. They will not be able to ... If you have a GA tomorrow, then they will not be able to vote currently.

ROBERTO GAETANO: This is Roberto acting secretary. There was a placeholder, as I don't have a nametag. I want to just say a couple of words. Since I happen to be the chair of the EURALO Individual Users Association, we have incorporated as an ALS because that was the form that we thought was easier. That gives advantages and disadvantages.

The program that Alan has [raised] that is the [inaudible] being considered a special ALS and that creating [inaudible] we need to figure out how to overcome this.

On the other hand, what we are doing is we have an internal mailing list. We have a webpage. We feel that by creating an association – and of course the association can be incorporated as ALS, certified ALS or not – but is a way of promoting better commission among the member. We [inaudible] sometimes what is happening outside. We have discussions. We take positions.

Whether or not it's an ALS, I think that the individual members have to – can get a benefit by having something, some form of support. It can be just a mailing list and a website.

This said, I wanted to make a proposal. Since we have individual members in at least two regions and in the other regions they are forming now, I would propose that in Panama, we have a session specifically aimed at bringing together the experiences

of the individual users, and with as much as possible participation of the individual users. There will be, of course, no travel support, but they can join by teleconference.

So, I think it will be really useful to have also the opinion of some individual users in each region so that they can share their experiences and tell their opinion of what they need and what is useful and what should be changed. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. I want to add. The expectation with that meeting is to start a conversation towards a goal that was trying to make it the same more or less across the region, right?

ROBERTO GAETANO:

Yeah. I don't believe in one-size-fits all. Honestly, every region has their own problem. We need to ensure flexibility. That is a key point.

Of course, there might be some rules that have to be followed by everybody. But, what I'm thinking is bringing together the experiences not to have a uniformity, but to have a sharing of ideas, something that works in one region, other regions can say if they want to adopt it.

There's one thing that I would like to add. Our association, our individual users, are quite active, I would say, participate working groups are taking positions. We have two of them in the board of EURALO.

So, I think that if we have a way to organize individual users and to let them participate and favor the participation even just with discussion, we will see the benefits in terms of participation and in terms of activity, ICANN policy, development process, and so on, because we have a real problem with individuals that would love to participate, but with the current structure that you have a voice only if you speak for an ALS, it's very difficult for them to join.

So, I think to favor the individual users is something that will be good for ALAC and for ICANN. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I'm not sure if, Sarah, I think you were first. Sarah?

SARAH KIDDEN:

I'll respond to the part about participation of individual members. In AFRALO, we allow them to participate in all the activities of AFRALO. They don't have a vote, but it's really minor because on many occasions we try to reach consensus. We vote if and when we must, so they really participate in all the

activities. In fact, one of them is here as a fellow this time, so that's a good thing.

We noted that some of them are part of an ALS or leaders in the ALS and they applied to be individual members, so it was real tricky for us, but some of them actually from that time withdrew their applications and said, "No, we represent our ALS and not come as individual members," and for the rest of them will be voting maybe in the next monthly meeting. I think that's it for me for now. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Anyone else? Humberto, please.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Well, I couldn't agree more with what Roberto said, mainly because of what I have heard before. I have a long history and some doubts. For example, what would be the process of adding or incorporating individual members? Is there a need to standardize everything for all RALOs?

Secondly, the conflicts still exist, and even when we do accept individual users, is it convenient for them to be certified as ALSes or they should be considered as a certified ALS, per se? This is a question that is related to voting, and in this case, I would like to mention what [inaudible] said before.

There are many issues, operational issues, that need to be taken into account. I don't know those issues because I have no experience. But, in any case, I take Roberto Gaetano's comment I believe he's right. He's correct. We should have an exclusive meeting in Panama. I mean, a session devoted exclusively to developing the mechanisms for individual users' participation. I second that motion and I believe that it is very useful for the purpose we want to reach. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Eduardo. I wanted to give a second angle on the EURALO perspective on how we integrated individual users.

As you know, Roberto is the chair of the EURALO Individuals Association. We're not advocating that there should be a pseudo ALS created in each organization. But, one thing that Roberto mentioned and I think that actually is very much in line with the pushback that we have had during the At-Large review saying we don't want everyone to become individual members is the whole thing as ALSes provide the support. They provide the support for more people to be involved.

In the EURALO topology, there is support from the association towards the individual members that are part of that association. That's really helpful. I've found that it's really

helpful in two ways. Helpful for the members themselves because you have people that are interested in At-Large that ICANN or anybody can send to the EURALO Individuals Association. They get taken care of. They get taken into the group and there is a mailing list for them to discuss their issues with other people. There's somebody moderating this. There's a whole network, if you want, around this.

As EURALO chair, I don't have a headache when I hear from individual members. I just say go to this and you'll have your own support network.

Now, if you don't want in your RALO to have a separate association, then perhaps could you nominate somebody on your board or your leadership team to be in charge of individual members that can run a mailing list, that can offer that support, that can offer that networking between individual members together, so that that is already a community? Rather than individuals individually coming into there, some of whom know what they're talking about and some of whom not knowing at all what they're talking about, and therefore disrupting or potentially disrupting things.

Effectively, if we have a meeting in Panama talking about these things, hopefully maybe we can put together a set of recommendations or good practices as to how we can all work

better with individual members without getting stuck at the type of structure that we want to have, because as Roberto said, every region is different.

In Europe, we're a bit cartesian. We like things to be in associations and somebody wants to be on the board of that association. We like this sort of medals and all that stuff as you might have seen historically.

In other regions, it might not be the same and it might introduce problems, actually, rather than being helpful. That's it. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I just want to caution don't confuse having an association and having a structure and having a mailing list with calling it an ALS and having to apply for membership as an ALS. There's nothing to prevent any RALO from organizing their individual members in whatever way they want. Just call it the organization of individual members. ICANN will be glad to provide a mailing list or whatever.

It's the problem of calling it an ALS and having it certified that suddenly invokes a whole bunch of other rules. NARALO has always called their individual members a pseudo ALS, but we didn't apply for membership as an ALS. It's just a group. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Glenn or Satish?

SATISH BABU:

Thank you. I support the concept of an idea of a session in Panama. However, I think we are at the cusp of the whole At-Large review implementation phase, which might have a bearing on some of these things that we are going to discuss.

So, as a prerequisite, as an input for the session in Panama, we might want to hear from Alan and the ALAC on the implementation of the At-Large review because it's good [inaudible]. We don't want to set up something now in Panama and then have to change it later, a couple of months or three months later. That's one part.

The second is we need really to harmonize some things. In APRALO, for example, there are the following categories of members. The observer who are members of the mailing list, but not members in any other sense. They are part of the mailing

list. ALS, clear. ALS member, that means a member of the ALS who is a member.

Currently, we are saying that we would like to encourage the members of our member ALSes to come up.

Then, finally, we have the unaffiliated individual member that we're talking about.

So, these categories are sometimes the dividing lines are hazy. So, we have a need to harmonize these definitions. We don't want to have exact same things in every RALO, but we need to have basic guidelines laid down. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Glenn? I want to wrap up this discussion in the next five minutes. So, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So, in other words ...

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm sorry.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Glenn McKnight, secretariat NARALO. A couple of things. Since I guess NARALO has been the group that brought this concept to

the rest of the RALOs, we have a long history. In fact, I think we're at the stage that unaffiliated members will be more than registered ALSes.

We've had some fluidity as well. So, not all the unaffiliated people are that active and we're trying to get them more active. But, some of the more active ones, like William Cunningham, Jonathan Zuck who is a new unaffiliated member, Xavier for example, and obviously Alan is probably the most active from that community.

What is interesting is that we're trying to reach out to those individuals. One of the things we implemented on a monthly basis is the other issue of the hot topics. We're having discussions and we're reaching out. Jonathan is doing a topic in August. Other people that are unaffiliated like [Kristen] [inaudible] is doing two or three sessions and again are applicable to all the RALOs in terms of topics, but it's one way for them to get involved.

It's a really interesting process because we're getting more ... I'm finding that we're getting more applications that will go through the process to be unaffiliated than ALSes. Even though we're one of the smaller RALOs in the family, I think our numbers are still growing exceedingly.

The other thing I'd like to point in terms of John Moore, John Moore spent a lot of time updating our rules of procedures. He agonized through this process of what is a membership. I encourage you all, the fellow right over there next to Javier, to lean on him if you're looking at updating your rules of procedures on this issue.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. With that, I'm going to wrap up this session. I think there is consensus that we should continue having this discussion in a meeting specifically for this. There is an action item for staff to try to find us that space in the next meeting, and in coordination with the next chair, to make sure the next chair has an agenda put together for that meeting.

The way I understand this, this is a meeting that doesn't need to have any outcome. This is a meeting for learning and discussing ideas in an open matter.

I think, in my personal view, that having individual members in our membership is very good. I agree with you that if they are not there, they still receive the e-mails. I can attest to that. In my chapter here in [inaudible] Puerto Rico we have 897 members. If you see 10 or 15 coming to the meetings or events, that's too many.

But, I do know that there are many people who read what we send. Others just throw it out. It really doesn't matter.

Having individual members I think it brings a different aspect to this conversation. I think it enriched every region.

In that case, is that action item clear? Let's go to the next slide, then which is the hot hot topics. I say hot, hot.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Better than hot.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. When I started chairing this meeting, I saw this item about the hot topics and I saw some things there like human rights and things like that. I didn't know what it means. What is it what we were discussing? We were sharing hot topics across the RALOs and talking about them. But, I said there's something here that I don't quite understand, so we kept talking in the other meetings and I just realized that one of the things that came out of the review is the RALOs really are, they are not perceived as generating policy statements into ALAC for some reason.

I look at the hot topics and I think we're looking at this from a different point of view. I'm going to open this for discussion. In the sense that when we talk about hot topics, we tend to look at

our region and say what is the region interested in talking about?

I can tell you one of the hot issues in our region was net neutrality. There was this long list of e-mails of net neutrality doesn't have to do anything with ICANN. Oh, yes, it has to do with ICANN. Maybe indirectly with ICANN.

So, we have this conversation. We watch it very good. The discussion was very enlightening, but what does it have to do with ICANN? How can that discussion help in what we are here for, which is we need to do this in a different way.

We should look at ICANN, identify what is hot, what is needed, any policy that is happening that is coming out, and then say let's look at that, let's understand what it is in a simple way. This is the main issue. Then go back to the RALO and say, look, this is happening in ICANN. We need to find out if, from our point of view in our region, how does that policy can affect us as end users? Those should be the hot topics and that is what we should focus to.

I will say that I can take only one issue and just talk about that and talk about that so we understand it and we can come up together. If all the RALOs do something similar, it will be a great thing to have if we get one issue, we all talk about it from our

region, and between all of us, we put a statement out there for that policy.

I may be thinking in a perfect world, but that's the way I see policy in the RALOs. So, while I'm chairing RALO, that's what I have been trying to turn around because when I see the hot topics – and again I go back to the hot topic of net neutrality and say why are we having this discussion? This is a great discussion to have, but it's nothing that has to do with anything with what we're doing as a RALO. I wanted to start discussion with that.

ALAN GREENBERG:

It was an interesting discussion because with perhaps one or two exceptions, I think many of the people on that list now understand a little bit better what is within ICANN scope and what isn't. We didn't convince one or two people, but I think the overall community may have a better idea for the next time we have the discussion.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I have a queue. I'm going to start from there and we'll go around. Humberto, please?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much. To tell you the truth, this issue of hot topics needs to be analyzed from two perspectives in LACRALO. This is something that we discussed last night drinking some beers in the bar because we keep on working and discussing ICANN topics.

So, the topic is this, or the issue is this. We do not have enough time and we do not have volunteers to deal with all the hot topics in ICANN. I mean, we as chair or secretary in LACRALO, we are the guides. But, there are people within the RALOs that do believe that we are the ones leading the working groups for each hot topic, and in the end we have no time at all. That is the truth.

So, what is the mechanism that we use? We have a survey and we will be relaunching that survey. I've personally reviewed all the topics that we have to address in the region, but I'm going to ask people in LACRALO in the following week. I'm going to ask them two things.

Which of these topics are the most interesting for them? Also, I'm going to ask something else, something that Eduardo mentioned. What are the most impacting topics for end users? We're not taking this into account. We are talking about important topics for ICANN and we stop there.

But, we need to focus on the second stage and that has to do with our purpose. What is the topic impacting us most? This of

course will reduce the scope of analysis for the topics that we need to discuss or for the hot topics that we need to address within ICANN. That is one perspective.

Secondly, I would like to say this. In fact, in our monthly meeting, in our LACRALO monthly meeting, we tried to analyze the hot topics that are being addressed at ICANN. We have speakers. Olivier participated in one of our meetings. We have the participation of other people. Leon, for example, as a board member. [inaudible]. I could keep on mentioning some other people. They help us to develop these topics that are relevant topics for us to communicate people in the RALO to communicate our ALSes what is going on. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Eduardo. When we spoke for the first time about hot topics here in ALAC, we said why should end users care about those topics? So, it is topics that may impact the interest of the end user.

We had exactly the same discussion that you had in your region. If, in your region, the most hot topics is net neutrality, the most hot topic for Africa is electricity, is energy. Shall we take it? What does it do with ICANN? What is the relationship? Why are we discussing it here?

So, we had exactly the same debate. Heidi should remind that. We started discussing it in Johannesburg and we had two [inaudible]. We put all the proposals and most of them was out of scope.

Fortunately, we managed to convince people that we have to speak about topics related to ICANN. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Tijani, I will go further than that because there are many things that can affect the end user [inaudible].

I will say that one of the ways we can make a real effect is getting to something that is being developed now and making sure that's been developed. We can at least look at it as a region and say, "Will that affect us?" Yes, but then let's tell them, not after the fact. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWAI:

I wanted actually to agree with Eduardo and LACRALO and with Tijani that the topics discussed should be ICANN topics. More further, it should be or maybe it's preferable to be topics still under – policies still under development. In this case, the topic discussed and the outcomes of discussion will reflect directly into any statement that ALAC needs to make.

Even if it's not adopted, even if the output itself is not adopted, but just mentioning it itself is worth being there.

That actually puts more weight to ICANN's advice to the board and ICANN's comment because it shows that the people behind the advice are not only the 15 people sitting here, but it's actually a very large and diverse community behind it, including end users and ALSes. I agree with all of you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Alfredo, please?

ALFREDO CALDERON: This is Alfredo Calderon for the record, so as to ensure that my message is well understood. In the North America region, we had an exercise with the leadership of Eduardo and we created a working group, an ad hoc working group, or whatever you want to call it. That was an educational working group.

Our intention is to answer three questions, to clarify for those who do not understand the topic. So, clearly provide clarification. If the end user is affected, the end user is part of our community. Third, if the topic is under ICANN's mission or is impacting ICANN's mission.

So, I believe that these are the three questions that we should take into account in 15 minutes. We have a Q&A session for the participants.

Why I'm telling you this, because the result of this is individual members who are not members of an At-Large group coming from our North America region, they want to participate. They want to participate in those sessions because they believe that it is a good starting point to start understanding the topic more clearly.

For Tijani, we are not invading the land or the territory of webinars because webinars are more wide, but there is an issue and the issue is that they don't want to attend webinars because the topic is being addressed thinking that the participant already knows about the topic.

So, we spoke about that and we understand that we have to have an entry level webinar for newcomers for those who do not know about the topic. That is what we tried to do in those 10 or 15 minutes. We are very clear so that we can engage people. We can engage those users who would like to participate, but because they do not know, they do not participate. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Alfredo. Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL:

I think this is going to be a two-way communication, and instead of having it only one way like telling them what hot topics are within ICANN, if we go back to our let's say ALSes within our RALO and ask what are their hot topics and trying to match them with what ICANN is looking into as hot topics, that will be an interesting point to the ALSes to come in and participate.

There might be and there is a possibility of having some topics that is within our ALSes, within our RALO, but it's not part of ICANN interest. But, we need to get the buy-in of the ALSes to get in with us.

If we don't take their interest as a hot topic for them, then we cannot tell them what ICANN has as a hot topic.

So, it's two-way communication. We have, as you mentioned, Eduardo, we have to education them about the hot topics and what that means to ICANN and to them. Maybe it's something important to them, but they are not yet aware of.

So, if we do that education or awareness to them, then they might buy the idea because they will understand that this is something that they need to look into.

That's the point I want to say. It's a two-way communication. It's not only one way. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Ali. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Eduardo. I think that Ali has just put his finger on this very well. You've really circled it extremely well. There is a saying which is all roads lead to Rome, which effectively means that if Rome is going to be our goal, that we need At-Large Structures that are more involved where we know what are the interests of the At-Large Structures and the At-Large Structures note what the ICANN interests are.

You can do it in many different ways. One way, of course, would be to say here's a list of the important topics in ICANN. Pick the ones that you're interested in. That somehow reduces the number of opportunities that our At-Large Structures might have, because at the end of the day, they might not understand what some of these topics are.

So, we say, "Are you interested in GDPR?" They're going to go, "I don't know what GDPR is." What do we say, yes, no? No idea.

So, what we've done in EURALO is the other way, which is to say come up with your hot topics. And of course some of these hot topics are going to be completely out of scope with ICANN. I'm

interested in predicting the weather. Okay, interesting interest, but not something at ICANN.

So, what we've had in EURALO is to ask our ALSes very openly, "What are you interested in?" Within the list, yes, there were a lot of completely irrelevant responses. But, when we actually came up with a table of all of their interests ... Because really, we have to think about the next stage.

The next stage for us is to be able to specifically ask specific At-Large Structures when a public comment comes up on a specific topic, we know who to solicit specifically. And out of 30 ALSes, it might be that only two are interested in this topic, but ICANN then, as EURALO chair, e-mail these two At-Large Structures and say, "Hey, you said you're interested in this topic. There is a public comment period right now about this very topic. If you don't know what to answer to this, who else is going to answer it? It's going to have to be you. You guys know what you're talking about. And you guys are interested in this topic."

We've done a test with this on a couple of public comment periods. We've had a good response to this. I think that it might be a way forward. It's a lot of work, of course, but we've got a table now of the interests of our different ALSes, and of course some of the interests are out of scope. There is, of course, free use of encryption, for example. We've got an ALS that's

interested in free use of encryption. Well, that's not really something that is an ICANN topic. We put it on the table just in case there is a need for something like that. Who knows?

We've got legal regulatory, new gTLDs. Now, of course, new gTLDs, there are only four At-Large Structures that are interested in this out of the 26 or 30-ish that we have. But, now we know the four that we need to talk to when there's something about new gTLDs and we can say, "You guys have got that," instead of asking everyone and just throwing a bottle into the sea and hoping that somebody will pick it up.

I think that's the way that we're moving forward. I just wonder whether it's something that other RALOs might see as being something helpful, as being able to do. As I've said, we've tested it out. We've got WHOIS, security-stability, reviews and improvements, public interest. A lot of people interested in public interest. Twelve At-Large Structures interested in privacy, so when there's something on privacy, we can go to these twelve. Policy progress, only two of them. Open data and access, four of them. Social media, new social media, three of them, etc. There's a whole list there and we found this to be very helpful and very useful table.

We're also now extending this to individual users. I'm turning to Roberto. They are also asking their individual users if there are

individual skills. It helps us in two ways. First, of course the public comments, but secondly also for working groups. When there's a working group on a specific topic and each RALO needs to specify some people to go on that working group, we now know who we can put in there.

Whilst I admit in the past we might have suggested to put some people on some working groups that had absolutely no understanding and no interest whatsoever in this working group and just going, "Oh, you need a body to go on there? Okay, I'll do it." It wasn't very conclusive. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Olivier, for sharing that with the rest of the RALOs. I have a queue here. Heidi, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Eduardo. During the leadership program of the ICANN Academy the last few days, we had several board members there and there was a session where Chris Disspain was talking about board issues. He was asked what would the board most appreciate in terms of policy input and policy advice. He answered that he would like to see, his dream would be to see policy advice and information coming up from the regions, from the grassroots.

So I think that At-Large and the ALSes are in perfect position to offer that. That's something that these hot topics and bringing information, examples up from the ALSes to the ALAC and then to the board would be ideal for that. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. Unfortunately, Alfredo left. Alfredo spoke about webinars when he spoke about hot topics. It is two different things. Yes, we might have some capacity building about them, but the aim now is not that. It's to first define the hot topics for the region, and second to make use of it for better input of the region in the policy advice that we provide.

I think that, Olivier, I don't agree 100% because it is not necessary the one who proposed the topic who is the best to speak about it. Perhaps he is interested to see it discussed and he wants to understand it.

So, the best way in my point of view for the next step is to discuss those topics inside the RALO community and see who can be in the future one of the providers of input.

There is another issue I want to speak about, which is those hot topics are not hot for everyone inside the region. You have different interests in it. Perhaps we have to see what are the topics who are the most hot for everyone because this will make everyone participate, otherwise we would have few people working on it and discussing it. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Tijani. Hadia, please?

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

I agree with Ali and with Olivier that it should be a two-way discussion and it's good always to know what the ALSes are interested in and what they are interested in discussing. That's obviously essential as well.

However, when it comes to a topic being really discussed, I believe it's obvious, again, that it needs to be an ICANN related topic because, in the end, we represent end users, the interest of end users who are interested in the unique identifiers development process.

So, if this is not the case, then for example, like Tijani said, if someone wants to discuss electricity, that's very well but this is not the unique identifiers that we are concerned with the process of policy development with regard.

So, it's always good to know what they are interested in. It could be through surveys, through tables, through lists, but in the end, the topic chosen for discussion has to be related to ICANN and has to relate to what we as an advisory committee will, in the end, put advisors for.

And this would put weight to whatever we comment on and will make meaning to what our advices say because it really reflects the region.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I just wanted to reiterate what Olivier was saying. He did an incredibly great job in e-mailing out to his community and virtually we copied suit. So, in terms of our survey on our ALS expertise and [inaudible] expertise, we followed the same hot topics that were cited by ICANN. Some of the stuff is a little old now, so it needs to be updated, even though it's a year later.

We had 34 topics that were identified, but 161 people that stepped forward saying, "I have an expertise in XYZ." Some of the stuff, we need to go back. Net neutrality was one of them. We need to back.

But, I think what Olivier alluded to is that when these policy stuff comes up, it's our job to go back and say, "Hey, you cited that you have an expertise, why don't you comment?"

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alan, please?

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier said if you accumulate a list of topics of interest, then when an issue comes up, you have someone to go to. What if you have an issue that comes up which is of crucial importance but wasn't identified as anyone?

We need to think about how we're going to address those also. Yes, sometimes there will be coincidence. For example, the KSK rollover, which I think we're going to have to make a statement on very soon. It's really important. Yes, one or two people probably have identified it. It's not clear that the people who knew about KSK rollovers ahead of time are the ones that we want to consult in looking at the impact on users.

So, interesting situation when we get these unusual cases.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. I have Satish and Olivier. I have to close the queue because we are running out of time. We have ten minutes? Oh, okay, well then...

SATISH BABU: I think the APRALO position has been based on the need for flexibility. ICANN is part of a global Internet governance ecosystem. We're not the only organization. There are a number of other organizations like ISOC or IGF and others. Many of these issues that we talk about cannot be only seen from the prism of ICANN.

For instance, human rights was – for many years, we said human rights is not a part of ICANN remit. But, today it has found its ways into the bylaws.

Many other issues, for example, IDNs is not a core ICANN concern, but when you have to work with communities and ALSes and organizations which are [inaudible] Internet governance, we have to take an inclusive approach to the topics, rather than an exclusive approach and only speak to the very narrow definition of ICANN.

So, what we've been doing is we talk about things that ... Because many of the ALSes, Internet governance is not the only thing that they do. They do a number of other things also. In

some of the situations, they connected with Internet governance, and the connections, joining the dots, that is where it makes holistic sense to them.

So, if you say that none of these dots matter to others, only this one dot matters, that is making it [inaudible]. So, we have found that it is better to take a more inclusive position on some of these topics, although strictly speaking, they may fall outside the remit of ICANN. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Olivier, please, and I'm going to close the queue because I just want to wrap up this and [inaudible] going forward.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Eduardo. I'll be very brief. Two points. I agree with Hadia on if you have a lot of ALSes that are interested in electricity, for example, of course it's of no help at all to ICANN because it's out of scope. We also have had response like this. We've had response, community networks. Community networks and ICANN at the moment is two different things. I personally don't see the link between the two. Maybe there might be a link in the future, but for the time being, it isn't. We still have it listed on our table. It doesn't cost us anything to

have it in the table. We just have it as that. Yes, immediately we can say it's a bit out of scope.

On the other hand, when Alan says what happens then when there is the KSK rollover, for example, and there is no knowledge in our communities about this, then, you know what? It sucks. It's terrible. We haven't got the knowledge. Should we just bullshit our way and then come up with something when we don't have any ALS that knows about it? Of course not. So, I think it's better to remain silent on topics that we don't know anything about or that none of our ALSes are versed into, rather than trying to send something out when we don't know about it.

I'm saying this because we have had this discussion in EURALO and there has been some of the topics that were listed there, some of the hot topics of ICANN where we had very few At-Large Structures that responded and especially the one relating to the KSK. There was only one ALS. And even that one ALS said we don't really know that much, but we're okay to be there and said, "But please don't really try and put us on the spot because it would be doing disservice to the ALAC to make us the so-called experts when we actually really aren't experts." Sometimes we have to realize our limitations. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Olivier. Tijani, please, we have time.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. As Capacity Building Working Group chair, we programmed a webinar about the hot topics and we wanted all the chair of the RALOs to be speakers, to speak about their approach, their way to do it and to expose what are the hot topics that they identified for their regions.

I think that this would be a very good thing for the whole community to know and to see how things are done.

Unfortunately, most of the chairs said, “What’s that? What [inaudible] speak about?” I think that we postpone it now, but we will do it later when all the chairs and all the RALOs understand that this is an important topic for the community.

By the way, the KSK rollover, last year we organized a webinar about it when it was programmed to happen last year, and now we are programming two webinars before it will happen, if it will happen, so that our community will know about it. I don’t say they will be experts, but they will know what it is. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much. Humberto, you have 45 seconds.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I'm going to be very brief. We need to be flexible with the hot topics just to say that right now at this ICANN meeting we are referring mainly to the budget issue and this is [inaudible] the monthly hot topics that we've been discussing and this is probably the most important one right now.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Do a little bit of wrap-up. I'm pretty sure if we had more time, we could have discussed all of the stuff that was there. Just to wrap it up, I think everybody agrees that we should do this every month. We should continue this conversation within us, the RALOs, so somehow we can learn from each other, like [inaudible] and we share things are different which makes this an enriched environment because we see different perspectives from different parts of the world.

So, these monthly meetings are going to happen. The next one is going to be sometime in April. So, Mr. Coming Chair, you can coordinate with staff and let us know and rearrange the agenda according to what you want.

We discussed individual members today and there was a proposal by Mr. Roberto Gaetano to have a specific meeting in Panama to talk about individual members and things there, so keep sharing.

There is not an expectation of having an outcome, but at least we can continue the conversation and keep it going until we are at a point that we can say we can do this, this way or that way.

The last thing on this hot topics thing, I think that we should continue with this conversation on our next meeting. This is my suggestion to the next chair. We can talk about these hot topics and at least we know that ... But, we were doing an experiment in our RALO, so I can tell you if it's working or not, to make things different, see if we can do this in a different way. EURALO might be doing this in a different way and so forth. I suggest that we should talk about this.

With that, I propose that we adjourn this meeting. John Laprise wants to say something before we finish. Go ahead.

JOHN LAPRISE:

Jus an AOB. I'm speaking in my capacity as Social Media Working Group chair. You will all be receiving outreach from the working group to try to gather social media information because what we would like to do is devolve this to the RALOs because you're better at speaking to your members than we are in a centralized position both for language and culture reasons.

So, we will be extending outreach to the RALOs so you should be expecting communication from the Social Media Working Group going forward. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. The meeting is adjourned. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]