

---

PANAMA – RSSAC Work Session (1 of 5)  
Tuesday, June 26, 2018 – 10:30 to 12:00 EST  
ICANN62 | Panama City, Panama

TRIPTI SINHA: It's you, Jeff. Always a trouble maker. Alright. Sorry, I forgot this is an open session. I've got to be careful what I say. The agenda is in Adobe Connect. We'll start with co-chair updates, what we've done thus far since we arrived, and we arrived a little bit earlier. Do a review of meeting with SSAC, which is this afternoon. Go over our slide deck on the open community dialogue. Then, our slide deck again, a review of it for the information session on Thursday, I believe. Then, logistics for dinner tonight. Anything you'd like to add?

Alright. Hearing none, let's start with co-chair updates. Brad and I have attended the SO/AC chairs meeting with Goran and David Olive, the two of them. We do a quick round table. The chairs give updates. Our update was on 37. We got feedback from a couple of the chairs who have read a little bit of it. [Greg] decided to work with us.

BRAD VERD: It's all very positive.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

TRIPTI SINHA:

Yes, very positive. Yeah. The other thing that we discussed is Goran would like to collect trends, things that percolating in the community. So, we will come back with a series of questions. They haven't come to us yet. They've prepped us. They're going to send us a series of questions and they're going to capture this in some kind of a spreadsheet and go over trends.

The other thing we didn't really get to talk about, but they did a lot of work about it, is they put together all the work the SO/ACs are doing and created a mind map. They'd like to see where the intersections are, where there's overlap and how we could help each other out. But, we ran out of time.

Then, they discussed the cost of meetings and how to reduce the cost of meetings. Nick Tomaso went over ... They gave us actual concrete numbers. I was also surprised with the cost of translation. It's really expensive to translate the meetings. They're looking at where we can cut costs. Apparently, ICANN bylaws state there needs to be a balancing how the meetings are scheduled where each region has no less than four or five.

BRAD VERD:

I think it's a general goal. As far as the diversity goes, they try to have meetings in the different regions. I think the meetings people said that they've become a little bit more lax on that and only in the sense of rather than a meeting in different region

---

every year, it's making sure it balances over five years. You might have a couple in one region and a couple in a different region close to each other, but over the course of five years, the regional dispersion would be equal.

TRIPTI SINHA                      Yeah. Beyond that, I think that's what happened at that meeting.

BRAD VERD:                      There was an update on GDPR.

TRIPTI SINHA:                      Yes, of course.

BRAD VERD:                      Which is GDPR is a hot topic here, so there was a big update on that. Goran basically said that he was going to be a broken record and this was the first time he gave ... So, he gave his spiel to us and a lot of that was centered around the unified accreditation model that ICANN is trying to see if it's legally feasible. I think that's the right term. And that they are in a precedent-setting court case right now trying to define some of that stuff in Europe. So, lots going on with GDPR. I think there's a meeting later today on it.

---

TRIPTI SINHA: Please attend those meetings, the GDPR meetings. Goran would like all of us to see what's going on. We did have dinner with just the SO/ACs on Saturday night. This is not an ICANN organized meeting. We're trying to form tighter bonds with the different constituents. That went well. We had some brief discussions on SSR2. As you know, they reconstituted that. They hired a consultant who is helping facilitate the meeting a little bit. So, they wanted some data from the SO/AC chairs and wanted to know if we wanted to stay involved. And really, we don't want to. We want this to take its natural course.

We had dinner on Sunday night with all the SO/ACs and a large set of people at the Panama Canal that was a very social dinner, but I got only positive comments on 3.7

BRAD VERD: Yeah, nothing but positive.

TRIPTI SINHA: Nothing but positive. Yesterday, Brad and I had a one-on-one with – and Kaveh – with Cherine. The crux of that discussion was Cherine and the board are reading 37, so they're trying to understand the nuances and so forth and what they should do next. So, still, very much in flux. It's been recorded in the board registry. Correct?

---

BRAD VERD: Yes.

KAVEH RANJBAR: The [inaudible]. Yes. It's been [inaudible]. It's been acknowledged that it's received. The action [inaudible] ARR system. I don't know what it stands for. Advice request registry, something. Advice, yes.

The next step is board has to act on it. We can [inaudible]. The mechanism is there's Board Technical Committee. Board Technical Committee will take in and provide advice, basically, or feedback for the full board and the full board will resolve, basically, a resolution to see what's next.

I really have no idea what will be proposed to the board, but it might be that it has nothing to do with RSSAC the next step. It might be that the board advice is [inaudible] to do something or ask other SO/ACs for comment. I really don't know what will be the next step at this point.

The only thing that's happening right now is within the board we're trying to find one leader to take this further. As soon as that's announced, I will let full RSSAC know who will drive that within the board. I won't be the one because I'm conflicted. I will represent RSSAC, obviously.

---

**BRAD VERD:** There was one other thing, one other topic that we talked about at the meeting where we talked GDPR and the round table. That was the subsequent round of TLDs came up. There was a lot of discussion around that, a lot of questions asked very specifically. Are they needed? Why do we need them? From the different constituencies. We didn't ask any specific questions around it and we weren't asked anything. That discussion is ... So, subsequent procedures had a number of meetings yesterday and they're working through that within the GNSO. Anyway, that's another very hot topic that came up.

**TRIPTI SINHA:** Alright. I must say, going back to 37, when I walked on the corridors and people stop you and compliment you, they remember the number. People are saying, "Hey, good job on 37." So, it's catching on. 37 means something in this community.

**BRAD VERD:** And in our meeting with Cherine, he was very complimentary to the groups, basically saying a compliment of 37 and then saying 38 was – what was the term he used? He didn't use complete, but it covered everything. It was very well thought-

---

out. You could tell by reading it. It was a lot of time and effort put into it. I just want to give that back to everybody.

KAVEH RANJBAR: It should have been 42.

BRAD VERD: What was that?

KAVEH RANJBAR: The number should have been 42.

TRIPTI SINHA: Alright. Any questions? Hearing none, those were the co-chair updates. Why don't we move on to this afternoon's meeting with RSSAC and SSAC, the agenda? Where's Carlos? Do we have a draft?

RUSS MUNDY: Hiding out at the end of the table here, Russ Mundy, SSAC liaison to the RSSAC. I did send a proposed agenda about a month ago and received no feedback in terms of additions, deletions, changes to the agenda. The topics this time were pretty easy to come up with because both groups are fairly heavily involved in things that will be good to communicate between each other.

---

One of them from the SSAC side is the NCAP, the name collision activity that the SSAC is involved in, trying to proceed that work. That's heavily related to the next round of new TLD delegations.

The next topic will be RSSAC 37. This will be the first opportunity that SSAC has had to get a fairly extensive description and briefing on the content of 37.

The third topic area is a discussion around the KSK rollover plan resumption or not question that the board has asked SSAC, RSSAC, and RZERC.

So, if there aren't any need to change those agenda items, I think we're going to very readily fill 90 minutes with them, but certainly we can address as need be, and if we need to, I'll send an e-mail from here. So, open discussion about whether or not we did change or modify or whatever. Terry?

TERRY MANDERSON: I think that's going to chew up more than 90 minutes. I don't think adding anything else would be beneficial.

RUSS MUNDY: Brad?



---

**BRAD VERD:** Just for everybody's benefit, I think in that meeting, obviously us giving an update to the governance model, pretty straightforward. I think everybody here understands that. We'll obviously be getting an update on the NCAP stuff. Regarding the KSK, I think it's important that SSAC and RSSAC are in alignment in whatever our responses are. They don't have to be word for word, but we need to be in alignment and that will be part of what that discussion – that's what I planned to have as part of that discussion.

Then, obviously, if there's anything else that you guys think we should cover, now is the time, so we can get it to Russ and get it on the agenda.

**WES HARDAKER:** One follow up, Brad, really quick. This is Wes Hardaker, USC. Why do we need to be in alignment? I think it would be good if we were, but I'm curious. You said the word need.

**BRAD VERD:** Okay. Maybe that was a poor choice of words. I think it would deliver a stronger message from the technical advisory committees if we were in alignment. If we're not, then I think we need to be prepared to explain why we're not.

---

RUSS MUNDY: Thank you for finding the e-mail and getting it up there. My general thought was that 30 minutes for each topic and we just try to hold to that. If we slop a little bit over, that's okay. But, these are three good-sized topics. Anybody else, thoughts or comments? Tripti?

TRIPTI SINHA: You were very anxious to get RSSAC 037 delivered to SSAC. Now that it's been delivered, can you give us some early comments that you may have heard?

RUSS MUNDY: Well, interestingly enough, as much questioning as I received earlier on about this, as soon as I notified the group that it had been published, it has been shockingly quiet. I mean, just nothing. Considering, like I say, I was probably asked, at least during earlier ICANN meetings, by three to as many as ten people, "When do we get to see this?" I really expected something. But, so far, I've heard nothing. Either way.

TRIPTI SINHA: Alright. Looks like we're done with that agenda item. Moving on to the meeting tomorrow, the community dialogue meeting to which the community, as well as the board, is invited. Correct, Carlos? Did I characterize it correctly? Yeah. Alright.

---

We thought we'd go through the slide deck very quickly. It's the same slide deck that we've worked on. The meeting is for 90 minutes and the intention is to break it up into three 30-minute sections. The first 30 minutes is to go through the slide deck up until the scenarios. The next 30 minutes is a discussion of the scenarios. Depending on how that goes, we may not go through all the different scenarios, but at least that time will be dedicated to that. The last 30 minutes will be a Q&A, back and forth with the audience. Do we need to go through the slide deck?

CARLOS: Should we add scenarios as a specific bullet point since you outlined it that way?

TRIPTI SINHA: Sure. Why don't we ... The first opening slide deck.

CARLOS: Right. So, introduction of the model, then scenarios, then dialogue.

TRIPTI SINHA: Yes, thank you. I would add 30 minutes next to each one.

---

CARLOS: Great. Okay. Thanks.

TRIPTI SINHA: So, when we go through the slide deck, we will probably skip through some very quickly just to ensure that we do this within 30 minutes in the three different sections. Does that look like a plan, sound like a plan? Yes? If you could just scroll through the ...

BRAD VERD: I think, in our discussions, two of the slides that we think are very important is this one – I’m sorry, the next one, the principles. So, we’ll spend a lot of time here. And the model. I think those are the two major messages. These are the principles that we came up with and here’s the model.

TRIPTI SINHA: Alright. Yes, Russ?

RUSS MUNDY: I apologize. I forgot to ask earlier in the SSAC-RSSAC meeting, but have these slides been forwarded to the SO and AC chairs? We talked about that earlier. I didn’t know if they had been sent to the chairs or not.

---

TRIPTI SINHA: Gosh, did we do that, Carlos? Oh, we should probably ... Yeah. Thank you for the reminder.

CARLOS: So, since this is a public session tomorrow, Wednesday, we have to upload the slides anyway. So, we'll do that and then we can share them through that as well, in addition to the attachment.

RUSS MUNDY: So, will this be the set that you use in the RSSAC-SSAC meeting? Okay, great.

TRIPTI SINHA: It is the deck that we're using for all meetings, essentially. Alright. Any other questions about this? Alright, that was easy. Hearing none, moving on to the information session slide deck. We need to assign speakers to that. Carlos, could we upload? There's a typo. Never mind. I thought it said ICANN 61 in the first deck. Did I not see that? Maybe not. Moving on. Next. Next. Alright, next. Next. Really? These are all publication [inaudible].

BRAD VERD: Yeah, it's a lot.

---

TRIPTI SINHA: Yeah. Okay. Some of them are the feedback on the ...

BRAD VERD: Some of them are real easy to cover.

TRIPTI SINHA: Alright, next, next, next. We'll assign speakers after we go through them. Next. Next. Okay, who is the shepherd for this? Liman, can we assign this one to you?

LARS LIMAN: Sure.

TRIPTI SINHA: Okay. Alright. Next. What did he say?

BRAD VERD: He said no wouldn't be accepted.

TRIPTI SINHA: [inaudible] work party. That is Duane, right? You get that one? Okay, good.

DUANE WESSELS: Liman will do it.

---

BRAD VERD: Liman will stay up there.

TRIPTI SINHA: Okay, next. RSSAC tools, wasn't that you? Anything new on that since our last meeting?

WES HARDAKER: I can recap what we have just so that people are aware of the tools. It's a chance to advertise. There might be one new one. I think it was before the last meeting. I'll go check.

TRIPTI SINHA: Okay. next. Okay, who would like to give a synopsis on topics that are under consideration?

BRAD VERD: I'm sorry, are these the ones that are ... Of this list, have we identified the ones that we're going after? Are they included in this list or are they separate? Because if they're included, we should flag them. Does that make sense? Maybe make them bold or something.

WES HARDAKER: Or maybe just leave off the ones that we're not going after.

---

BRAD VERD:                      Yeah.

WES HARDAKER:                Okay.

TRIPTI SINHA:                    Do you have the bar graph that you shared with us? It might be nice to display that and show the thought process that went into how we selected the topics.

WES HARDAKER:                So, list all of these and then share the bar graph and then show the two that were selected?

TRIPTI SINHA:                    Yeah.

WES HARDAKER:                So, add two more slides?

TRIPTI SINHA:                    Right. It tells us what our thought process was in how we selected this. There's a methodology to it. Brad, do you want to do that part then?



---

BRAD VERD: Sure.

TRIPTI SINHA: Okay, so Brad can do that. Okay, next. Community interaction. Is that the last one? Is that the last slide deck?

CARLOS: No. This is towards the end of the [inaudible] session, there's typically an update of this is transparency mechanisms that RSSAC has.

TRIPTI SINHA: Okay. What's next? Wes, you typically used to do this. Am I right?

WES HARDAKER: Yes, I have done it in the past and I'd be happy to do it again, if you want.

TRIPTI SINHA: Does anyone else want to do this? Anyone who hasn't spoken before. I'm just trying to give someone else an opportunity because Wes has an assignment. Fred, do you want to do this?

---

FRED BAKER: Not really.

TRIPTI SINHA: Not really, okay. Alright, Wes, I think you get to do it. Next. That is the end, right? Alright. For the first section, Brad and I will split that. We'll just take some breaking point. Alright, so we've got our speaking assignments. Wes, Duane, Liman.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] documents.

BRAD VERD: Yeah. Do you want us to cover the documents or do you want [inaudible] cover the documents?

TRIPTI SINHA: Okay. Let's go back. You're right. Can we scroll back to the first section? Where do they start previous? One more slide before this.

CARLOS: The previous two slides are the list. This is the list.

---

TRIPTI SINHA: We're going to just give a high-level synopsis. I think Brad and I can split this, right? Duane, did you want to do one?

DUANE WESSELS: No. I just heard you say you were going to [inaudible] this.

TRIPTI SINHA: Alright. Is that good with everyone? Anyone have a burning desire to speak?

BRAD VERD: How about a burning desire to not hear us speak?

TRIPTI SINHA: Alright, sounds good. Anything else on this? Hearing none, let's move on to dinner logistics. Tonight, we meet ... I'm going to turn it over to Carlos, actually. Or Mario. Between the two of you, whoever. Go ahead, Mario.

MARIO ALEMAN: So, tonight we're providing transportation for dinner. The bus is going to be at the lobby at 7:00. We'll be departing at 7:15, sure to be 7:30. It will be at Old Town. The restaurant is called [Merula] and I have confirmation from most of you about the course selection. Thank you.

---

TRIPTI SINHA: What time does the bus [inaudible]?

MARIO ALEMAN: 7:15, maximum. It takes about ten minutes to get there.

TRIPTI SINHA: To get there. Because Goran will be joining us. I think he's coming independently, right? At 7:30?

MARIO ALEMAN: Yeah. That's correct.

TRIPTI SINHA: Alright. Thank you.

CARLOS: So, if you haven't made your menu selections, please make sure you do that so that Mario can give the restaurant that information.

TRIPTI SINHA: Alright. Anything else? Then believe it or not, we are actually done. It feels funny, right? Yes, Carlos, you were going to say something.

---

CARLOS: I was going to ask if you want to get ahead on anything or do we just adjourn for the day? There are a few smaller groups that have spun off since the last RSSAC meeting. There's Duane, Fred, and Tripti working on a letter to MSSl. I think there are two separate groups working on different work items for the caucus. So, we could use that time. Then the KSK roll. There are three work items and then the review.

WES HARDAKER: So, I guess point of procedure with respect to open meetings, scheduled items, and typical ICANN policy for groups working ahead of agendas when we've labeled topics that we're going to work on certain times later. So, if we work ahead, is it generally accepted or not?

CARLOS: It happens rarely. But, yes, we can always adjust the agendas that are public. So, if you wanted to move one of those topics, we could do that or we could adjourn and then just work in the room. But, we wouldn't be ...

---

WES HARDAKER: Yeah. That was really my question. If people are planning on attending a discussion, if we move it, then they'll show up and they will have missed what they were hoping to attend.

CARLOS: Right. Liman?

LARS LIMAN: This is just a suggestion. Since I'm involved in a couple of these efforts, can I suggest that those who are involved in the KSK rollover thing take a first stab at that? Because that's a bigger thing that probably needs to mature somewhat in people's brains and so on. That would mean that I cannot attend work going on with geo-diversity, for instance. But, I think we need to kickstart the KSK rollover. It's [inaudible] to do that.

RUSS MUNDY: Just a point of information. The SSAC NCAP open session is in progress right now as we speak. So, if there are people that want to attend that, it's about 45 minutes into it, but there's another hour or so [inaudible] with that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Where is it?

---

CARLOS: Salon 8.

TRIPTI SINHA: On the work that Fred, Duane, and I are doing, this was just high-level input on reviews in general and it turns out – I didn't realize this – ICANN has a public comment period right now. They want feedback on reviews in general because the last five or six reviews have gone very badly. So, they want feedback from the community. So, our letter could potentially get fed into that as well. And they've extended the deadline to end of July?

CARLOS: At some point, I approved it because I work on public comment. I don't remember. I'll check.

TRIPTI SINHA: We can do it right now unless you want to attend the NCAP session. I'm willing to do it now. Duane?

DUANE WESSEL: I could, except I also have to do the thing with Liman, the rollover thing.

---

TRIPTI SINHA:                    Alright. Why don't I send an e-mail to the three of us and see how we can carve out some time in the next three days to get together?

LARS LIMAN:                    I wasn't aware of the NCAP thing when I made my statements. We already have a time proposal for our work. I'm looking at [inaudible] now.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:         No, we don't, but we can set one up.

LARS LIMAN:                    Okay. So, if people want to attend the NCAP, then I might actually want to do that myself. Maybe we should do that, but set a time for when to do the KSK rollover thing.

CARLOS:                         Let me send a mail to the three of you and we'll figure out a time to meet to talk about the KSK roll sometime this week.

LARS LIMAN:                    Sounds good.



---

RUSS MUNDY: I think I'm on that list, but I'm not sure when you said three what the count was.

CARLOS: Okay. It will be four, then. That's cool. Oh yeah. It was you, Wes, I guess Russ, Liman, and Duane. And if anyone else would like to join, please raise your hand. Ryan? Daniel? Okay. Anyone else? Cool. And I got [Ken] as well.

TRIPTI SINHA: Okay, we are adjourned. Thank you. Alright. We can meet now.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**