
KOBE – ccNSO: TLD Ops Standing Committee – Meeting
Sunday, March 10, 2019 – 15:15 to 16:45 JST
ICANN64 | Kobe, Japan

JACQUES LATOUR: Welcome to the TLD ops meeting for ICANN64 in Kobe. So, I'm Jacques Latour. I'm the chair. I guess the first thing that we can do is a roundtable so that we know who is how, and then we'll start from there.

REGIS MASSE: Regis Masse, the vice-chair of the group and CTO of dot-fr.

FREDERICO NEVES: Hello, everyone, Frederico Neves from NIC dot-br.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hello, I am [inaudible] from LAC TLD.

KIM CARLSON: Kim Carlson, ICANN staff.

ABIBU NTAHIGIYE: Abibu Ntahigiye from dot-tz registry.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

JACQUES LATOUR: Everybody in the room.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This is [inaudible], dot-jp.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible], ICANN staff.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: Cristian Hesselman, dot-nl.

JACQUES LATOUR: Your name is familiar.

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO: Alejandra Reynoso, [inaudible].

JACQUES LATOUR: Alright. Thank you. So, this meeting is ... Oh.

KIM CARLSON: Erwin and Svetlana are joining remotely.

JACQUES LATOUR: Erwin is in Taiwan, he's going to .. That's way. Alright. So, today it's our standing committee meeting, so it's our internal meeting for the working group to talk about issues and action items that we need to discuss on TLD Ops. So, you may not learn anything new. You may. It depends on where this goes. Page down.

So, the agenda for today, I'll do a quick intro of what TLD Ops is for the people that are not on the standing committee, and I will go through the action points. There are a few that we need to look at. We'll look at our op status and updates since the last meeting, the last ICANN meeting and then we'll talk about our disaster recovery workshop, where we at. We also have a session this afternoon on the drafting team to review our document and then we'll talk about the objectives and all the rest of the action numbers and line items 7, 8, and 9. Cristian put that stuff there and it's there for the beginning, but he'll know why it's there.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: No. Yes, it's all your fault.

JACQUES LATOUR: So, who doesn't know what TLD Ops is? Are we good? You don't know, yeah? So, basically, I'll do a quick intro. So, it's a contact repository for, I guess, for all the security contacts for ccTLDs so that we can have a community of security people that can

exchange email or have contacts to reach other, and so we have a mailing list with about 380 people on it, and we have over 200 ccTLDs in this group, and our goal is to have all of the ccTLDs on the planet, the ASCII and the IDN part of TLD Ops working group. So, that's basically our purpose. The intent is if you need to reach another ccTLD you can look it up on the mailing list and figure out what the email address is of the security contact, or the phone number, or their names.

Every two weeks, we send out an email with the contact repository. So, this has 200+ contacts on the list with the format that you see there. I guess the challenge with this is to figure out .. It's hard to tell how our repository is used because it's a look-up, so people don't say, "I used it to look up another contact," so it's very difficult to figure out the usage of this. But based on the service that we've done, it seems to be still useful.

We had a couple of security alerts since the last ICANN meeting. So, there was a vulnerability in DNS software that was advertised on the list, and the most recent one was all the malicious activity targeting DNS, so this is registrant getting compromised with credentials on their domain, getting a domain hijack, and all the bad stuff that happened with that.

So, there were a few alerts sent on the list, and so far, we've done two workshops. The first one was a DDoS mitigation workshop in

Copenhagen a couple of years ago and most recently, in Barcelona, we had a disaster recovery BCP workshop, so we'll talk about that later on. And, like Cristian said way before, it's a lot of work to do a workshop. It still is a lot of work to do a workshop. So, that's a summary of what I just said. That's it.

REGIS MASSE:

Just perhaps to repeat some points on photo recalling, and TLD ops, at the beginning was just a mailing list to facilitate contact between ccTLDs and security operators in the ccTLDs, and now we want to go further with the workshop. We want to develop some playbook after the work of the workshop to give some clues, give some help to small ccTLDs. The first was on the [DDNS] mitigation and now it's on BCP and the disaster recovery plan. The goal of this document is to be very clear, very easy to implement for a small ccTLDs and to help them in case of emergencies.

JACQUES LATOUR:

So, any questions? Adobe Connet. This is really hard to see. I don't know if we can ... Am I breaking the law? No? Good, okay.

So, we had a couple of action items to look at, so I'll just scroll here. So, I think Erwin is on the list, but the first one is that we had a couple of member discrepancies that we needed to fix. So, this

is an internal TLD Ops issue, but our mailman, the number of ccTLDs on mailman, the number of ccTLDs on the website and the number of ccTLDs in our stats Excel spreadsheet, they were off a little bit. So, we started to do a clean-up around this. So, I think ... So, we did. This item is closed. We have a gap that we need to fix and address. I swore I did print it. I did print all my stuff. There we go. So, we had a couple of discrepancies that we need to fix, so we're going to create a new action item to track the fixing and the issues around that.

KIM CARLSON:

The first step I plan on doing is addressing the email that you circulated, the gaps.

JACQUES LATOUR:

Okay. That's right. So, that's an action item we need to create. And then [inaudible] shows up on the website, but there's no mailman contact, so we need to go back into the history and find out what happened with all of those. So, we'll create a new action item to fix all of this, and we're going to close the 89 with the discrepancy.

So, number 90, is there was a request to add new ccTLDs to the list, using the IANA tech contact instead of just using the IANA admin contact, so that the tech contact could authorize the

addition or the administrative requirement for a ccTLD. So, this has been open for a while. I guess, now, since April of last year. So, the action item was we need to do this after GDPR. That's done.

So, now we need to figure out what's the process to add contacts on the mailing list and how do we validate the tech contact and all that? So, we need to build a new process to support this. So, we can talk about that at a later time today. I'd like to figure out exactly what the process is to allow the tech contact to add/manage a list.

So, the other action item we have is playbook distribution. This is a tougher one. So, if we, for example, in the DDoS mitigation workbook we had a document that was written, but the only way we can – we don't know where to store it so that it's only accessible to the TLD Ops contacts. If we build a portal with just the TLD Ops contacts, then we need to have all of the accounts and all of the work to manage that kind of repo, so it's kind of complicated. So, right now, we send the document through email. It's not the best way. I don't know what is a good way to fix this or I don't want to [inaudible]. It's a lot of work to create a portal part for just all the TLD Ops and all the contacts, I guess. So, I don't know what the answer is for that. So, we need to find, so right now the best that what we do is email that to the contact.

So, the action item 97 is fix generic contact information. So, when we build a contact repo, the policy is that every contact is attributable to a person, so that if we have an email address there is a name, there is a phone number and an association to a ccTLD, and right now we have some people made comments on the fact that there is a root IANA email address that's generic with no contact information on it. So, that goes against our process, which is not a big deal, I think, but we should have a document somewhere that we have an exception around that. But I think that we have an exception noted for the liaison to be on the list. Yeah?

KIM CARLSON: I started identifying some of the generic ones that I will send to you so you can review them.

JACQUES LATOUR: Okay, but there are the ones that are generic that are there that we need to, somewhere, modify our process and say that we allow them on the list, which is fine. We just need to document somewhere that it's okay.

So, we have four action items. We'll create a new one. I'm creating a new one right now. So, the idea here is to figure out, right now, what is our strategy for storing and sharing our collateral to TLD

Ops? So, we just email, we store in the portal, we set up a portal, like if we are going to have a workshop – and we do have a couple of documents that we created so far. So, we need a place, or we make them all public and we start those on –that's another option. There's nothing really confidential that we've done, I think.

So, I think Fred should be in charge of this and then ... So we're talking about the contacts, all the collaterals that we wrote in TLD Ops. Where do we store it? So, where is it now?

FREDERICO NEVES:

So, I'm agreeing with the fact that the conversation that we're sharing on the mailing list of confidential, and must keep confidential, but so that we can have a public case and particular sharing space, perhaps on the website of the ccNSO, for example, for the playbook, for some documents that are not at this level of confidentiality and can be shared easily with the members of the list and with other people.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

So, make everything public?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Yeah.

FREDERICO NEVES: I'll need to recommend that we reproduce it in the group but not the sharing of the security messages that go on this mailing list.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The [AROs] could also help distributing the playbook and maybe encouraging other ccTLDs to join the list. I think at least center and the TLD have the technical working groups so we can distribute the playbook there.

JACQUES LATOUR: That's a good point. Okay. So, whatever the outcome of the DR, disaster recovery, BCP playbook we make sure the document can be public, there is nothing private in there, confidential or whatever, and the DDoS mitigation guide we should review to make sure it can be ... Is it generic enough to be share, or ...?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think so.

JACQUES LATOUR: So, who wants to review the DDoS mitigation and see if it's shareable? Is that next meeting stuff? Action item number 99. So, we'll figure it out.

REGIS MASSE: About the DDoS mitigation playbook, as is its advice is for mitigation. I don't think there are things, that there is security stuff inside. I think we can publish it publicly. We will check to be sure of that, but I don't think that there is any problem about that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay.

KIM CARLSON: Do you think the playbooks ... Do you want them translated?

JACQUES LATOUR: They are translated.

KIM CARLSON: The next one?

JACQUES LATOUR: Oh, for sure, with the same ... Yeah.

KIM CARLSON: Okay.

JACQUES LATOUR: Yes, definitely. Okay, so the next one is the IANA tech contact. So, we need to change the process to allow the tech contact to do changes on the list. So, we need to update a few documents, update the website and send an email. So, somebody has to do that, Cristian? Or, he is not part of this group. Too bad.

CRISTIAN HESSELMAN: On the previous one, Jacques, you could also ... If you put the playbook online, you could also put a link to the playbook in the email that's being sent out every month. So, at the bottom, for example, or at the top, include the link because then people that want the playbook that's probably in the case of an emergency or something, and then they'll also be looking up that email with the contact information, so that you have, let's say, this one thing as the central place where you point to everything.

JACQUES LATOUR: We can do that.

REGIS MASSE: Jacques, regarding this change of policy for the technical contacts having this ability to include the updates, we will make a proposition for the council to change it.

JACQUES LATOUR: That's a good question, I don't know what we need to do.

REGIS MASSE: Yeah, okay.

JACQUES LATOUR: I think it's up to us to manage our own mailing list, so if we want to change the process, I think we can. We just need to agree that it's the right thing to do because often we need to talk about there are issues, right? Some ccTLDs, the admin is actually like the country code owner, and the tech contact can be the outsource provider and then the security, and then you get providers adding maybe not the right kind of people on the list, so that's what we need to figure out, if that's an issue or not, or what's the implication. We need to figure out if it's a risk of doing that, and if it's not, then ... But I'm not sure what process we need to do. I think we're in control of our destiny. Just make sure we control it in the right direction.

[REGIS MASSE]: Probably, we can make a decision but seek some input from the ccNSO.

JACQUES LATOUR: So, we'll send an email to the mailing list. We'll ask feedback. If there is any major issue, we go, if not – it makes sense, yeah? Sounds good? And then we'll from there. Check.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There was a question over there.

JACQUES LATOUR: Oh, Kim?

KIM CARLSON: Regarding the housing of the documents, right now, everything is on the Google Drive. Do you prefer to use the Google Drive, or I can create a Wiki space for just the TLD Ops public stuff?

JACQUES LATOUR: I like the Google Drive. Now, for our stuff. Yeah. No, we should keep it on the Google Drive because it synchronizes everywhere. Oh, you mean the public?

KIM CARLSON: The finalized documents, the ones that can be viewed publicly.

JACQUES LATOUR: So, that's in our common Google Drive that we have right now, right? Procedures and all of that? Yeah. Yeah. No, let's leave it there for now. We could add links in the Wiki back to the Google Drive, if we have to. Wait, I just need to ...

So, the next one is the ccTLD account website, so we talked about that quickly. I think we got everything, and we know what we need to do to clean up the little gaps that we have so there's nothing major. We just need to move ahead with the changes there.

KIM CARLSON: Erwin has a comment in the Adobe room.

JACQUES LATOUR: Oh, can you read it?

KIM CARLSON: Yeah. But it's the tech people we want on the list, even if the operations are outsourced, right?

JACQUES LATOUR: That's right. So, we've got to make sure that we don't get marketing or salespeople on that list that are going to use it for other purposes. So, we've got to make sure that they are really security people. So, in some instances, a tech contact might not

actually work. So, that's just my gut feeling, but I can't see it. So, I guess we covered that.

Addressing the generic contact. So, right now, this issue is on our mailing list, all of the contacts need to be attributable to—that's a big word, I got it right—attributable to an individual with a phone number, a ccTLD and all of that, and then we need to change our procedures to allow generic contact exceptions. In this case, we need to have a line for the root IANA contact. So, that came up. A few comments came in with this issue that we need to address, so I guess by the next meeting that should be an objective to have that completed, update the procedure.

If we're going to update the procedure, we should update it with all of the changes that we want to do, go in, update everything and so that's action item 97. So, any comment on that?

REGIS MASSE:

Yes, I just think that we have to be aware of one thing. Like since the beginning of the list, the TLD ops mailing list is based on trust, so that's why we've got individuals' names in the list and not generics and be aware of not deploying generics' lists to everyone. I think, if we must, my position is that we must stay on the individuals' contacts. First of all, it's easier to contact all of them, and knowing the people who you are talking about and you

are talking to. So, sometimes, we are asked to edit a generic email address and I'm not sure that it's a good way to go.

JACQUES LATOUR: Yeah. No, I agree. So, but if we have ... I think it's okay to have the root as a generic contact exception, but in general we don't. So far, it's working out well, so if there are gaps, we can fix those, but we need to stay generic. Okay, so I just need to update a note.

REGIS MASSE: I think that it's important because if we accept, if we change our policy to accept external companies for technical guys, for example, if added to that we have a generic email address, we won't be able to know who are behind these generic names.

JACQUES LATOUR: Okay, page down. All right, so the next one, the operations since the last ICANN meeting. So, normally, we provide an update of the activity on the list. So, there were two security alerts that were raised. We added one new ccTLD to the list, dot-sx, and there were eight contact updates, so those are changes [inaudible]. So, I think that's regular activity, nothing major to mention.

So, those are the stats. The bulk of our work is updating the stats. So, we're at 202 ccTLDs. It's moving up, but it's getting harder to

add the remaining ccTLDs, but we internally, within the TLD Ops, we try to compete against each other to try to contact certain cc to try and get them on the list, so we need a beer budget in case for the winners, so that's something that we need to talk about.

We added one ccTLD. This is not it. We had a better slide than this, no? The one with the plus and the minus, remember that? So, we added one in Latin America, dot-sx.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: With the proceeds for—

JACQUES LATOUR: The ccNSO? So, this is our project plan for our disaster recovery workshop. You'll notice the arrow there is exactly where we are at in our planning process. It's at the pixel, almost pixel accuracy here, so we're at the early ... So, today, so we're having a drafting team session after this meeting. This is where the volunteers and the TLD Ops standing committee people that are working on the disaster recovery business continuity guidebook/playbook, are working on.

So far, I think we agreed on the goal of the playbook. It's kind of challenging to write this. The challenge is writing a playbook that addresses and is good for all ccTLDs, so the scope is to build this playbook to address the need and requirement of a smaller ccTLD

and it's got to be based on something that's usable and not an ISO, whatever, standard documentation [brick] that is super complex to follow and use. So, we need to distill the science down to templates and things that can be easily used. So, I think we're making good progress on that, but it's still challenging to get people that have the science, that know the complex science and make it easy for smaller ccTLDs. That's our biggest challenge there. So, this we'll talk more about this afternoon.

One key thing that we need to do is that we need to find a lead, either a volunteer or a TLD Ops standing committee member to lead that project. Right now, there's no real leader for that initiative, so we need to find somebody that's going to keep rolling the ball and push it. Something, somebody that is not me or Regis because we're already pushing TLD Ops, so we need ... And somebody that really wants to make this, somebody that can bring the team together and make it go forward. I think it's important. We made a little bit of progress, but we need to do more and go maybe faster, a little bit, or more activity on this initiative. So, finding a lead is the action item that we need to do this meeting, so that the next meeting – where is that, Marrakesh? – we can have a draft of the document and move forward. And if there's no lead, and if there is no interest, I think we reserve the right to stop activities, if it's not going anywhere.

So, I don't think that we should drag this on for more than X number of ICANN meetings, at which point we can say we terminated this initiative, it's not going anywhere, but I think that would be best for everybody, and make a lesson-learned out of it, if we should keep having a workshop or not, or a different kind of workshop. So, a workshop that doesn't end up in a document deliverable because it's a lot of work and people are not interested in doing the work, then we're not going anywhere.

So, ICANN, the objective, we kept up pretty much with the template, eh?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It looks good.

JACQUES LATOUR: Every time I see this, I go oy! Let's not change it. So, this meeting, we had two goals, three objectives. We met two. So, we've got the two on the drafting team done for workshop. We only added on ccTLD, but then again, the last meeting we added five or six, I think, so we over-achieved and now we underachieved, so we're average.

REGIS MASSE: We have credits for the next.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah. Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: That's it, that's what I'd do.

JACQUES LATOUR: And then once we fix all of the gaps, we'll end up at 205, so we don't even have to work, and then we go up, so that should be good. The ICANN 65, I'd like to make sure that we have the process in place that when we add or manage contacts that everything gets updated as per the procedure, so I think we should be able to do that. I think we should be able to have the first draft. If we find the lead and team engagement, we should be able to have the playbook, the first draft of something, by Marrakesh, and then try to add in three more ccTLDs by next year, by the next meeting. So, I think when you say do more outreach, and so that's good. Any other business? I think everybody here is a member, so...

NACHO AMANDOZ: The DNS is not defined yet, but we are having a DNS is defined yet, but we are having a DNS week event in Puerto Rico [inaudible]. It's being organized by the LAC TLD and dot-pr. The idea is to

invite the most Caribbean ccTLDs we can. Maybe it could be a good opportunity for the TLD Ops playbooks to be presented. I don't know who and how, but we can work it out with Fred, maybe.

REGIS MASSE: Especially for the outreach for getting those ccTLDs that are actually not members of LAC TLD at all, as well – not ccNSO members, not LAC TLD members, and they're definitely not on the list.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: When is that?

NACHO AMANDOZ: In August. I'll have to check for the date, but I think it's the 8th, or around.

JACQUES LATOUR: So, technically, by then you or somebody else should be able ... Like Fred, or somebody else, you're attending?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [off mic].

JACQUES LATOUR: You're not, you won't be there.

NACHO AMANDOZ: Yeah, I'll be there for sure, but I don't know if you can, or maybe I know who can, or maybe I know who can present the playbook and make a presentation about TLD Ops, at least the playbook and everything.

JACQUES LATOUR: We can find somebody. Okay, so I added that to our action item list.

REGIS MASSE: Perhaps we can mention a remote presentation. I made the same thing for [APTLD] a few months ago. So, in the introduction and presentation of the group and what we are working on remotely, and after that [inaudible] the playbook and things like that to illustrate what we are working on can be an issue, it can be a way.

NACHO AMANDOZ: Yes. Yes, we could, we sure could. Also, we could, I don't know, but maybe we could bring the playbook and share it there. So, it's fine, different ideas.

JACQUES LATOUR: I think it would be a good idea to have like a presentation that explains the DDoS mitigation framework, so do a couple of slides on that. By then, we should have a draft of the other one, and then that's why you join TLD Ops, to do some ... So, either in person or remote. Okay, which means we need to build slides to do that stuff, so it's easy. Any other business? Okay, that's a good one. Remote?

KIM CARLSON: No remote questions, but I've got a question for Nacho. For this session, you're talking about in August, would we need to send them with somebody, or could we send the PDF of English, French, and Spanish to somebody and have them print it down there?

NACHO AMANDOZ: Yes, the documents will be okay. You could bring them. I'm sorry, it's the week of the 22nd of August.

JACQUES LATOUR: That's good. That's after my vacation, so ..

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, me too.

JACQUES LATOUR: Well, maybe we have to go, we'll see.

REGIS MASSE: Perhaps we can go on vacation in this place.

JACQUES LATOUR: Then I would have to do it remote.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah.

JACQUES LATOUR: So, everybody is TLD Ops here, and so we don't need to go through that, and that's it. That is it. End recording.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]