
KOBE – ccNSO: Technical Working Group
Sunday, March 10, 2019 – 13:30 to 15:00 JST
ICANN64 | Kobe, Japan

EBERHARD LISSE: So, can we settle down please? Oh, I think we don't even quorum today, hey? We don't even have quorum today. Anyway, let's get started. For the newcomers, this is not Tech Day. This is a face-to-face meeting for the internal affairs of Tech Day. Excuse me, those two ladies over there. No, you're more than welcome to stay, but just want to make sure that you know that this is not Tech Day. This is just a face-to-face. You're more than welcome to stay. Just that you know, that you don't waste your time, if you don't want to be here.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [off mic]

EBERHARD LISSE: You're welcome. Okay. Do we take attendance? Kim can do that, if you want to? Otherwise, welcome our very few members of the Technical Working Group for our face-to-face. Steven has sent apologies. He will be there. He is at the SOP meeting. He will come soon. Nigel Roberts is on the board meeting, and you always know how busy they are, or seem to be, or think they are

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

also. Anyway, as we usually do, we go through the agenda. Can you please put to the morning ... I have a clicker here, even better.

Okay. As usual, I will have some opening remarks. Then we have Mark Svancarek from Microsoft, who will report on what they did to implement IPv6 on their large campus, which I think is probably very interesting to hear too. Then, John Levine is talking about universal acceptance. He has got two presentations, so he will first talk about two million registered IDN domains, and what he found in his research. I think there are some surprises. Then Paul Hoffman will speak about how to find a DoH resolver.

Then Jothan Frakes will give another presentation of the Public Suffix List. This is once in a while quite interesting to hear what's happening, and that it comes back to our attention. We are actually even affected ourselves again, because we have a [inaudible] dot-ss. Some browsers don't find it yet, so it's ... I don't know whether it's really working. I know that the SOA record is misconfigured, and I [squealed] six weeks ago, and I still haven't figured it out.

But there may be a change in this place of the British Ocean territories. They may change their ISO code. Then Swaziland is talking about it, and Northern Macedonia is becoming

Macedonia. So, these three countries may or may not change their ISO codes. If that happens, we should be aware that they enter the public suffix early – or both are there, so that both are found as long as possible, and as early as possible.

After lunch, we have the host presentation, by Shinta Sato. And then Tom Barrett is going to repeat his performance from the APTLD, but it's shortened, and he took out all the introductory material and it's more technical. I think it's quite interesting to listen to that.

Then I think what's going to be really interesting, is the Alibaba [dot] cloud, DNS practices. Alibaba is a huge organization. It's one of the biggest commercial sites in the world. It's just in China, so they mainly deal to Chinese. So we westerners, we don't know nothing about it. It almost doesn't exist to us. So it's quite interesting to hear what they do on a large scale basis. And then Tim April will give the SSEC presentation.

We have a standing order for them. They have 20 minutes anytime they want – on any meeting or more if they need to. And I've put in before the transition break, so if it's 30 minutes, it's okay. If it's 20 minutes, we can go to the break a little bit earlier. Then John Levine is giving again a speech about universal acceptance. Jaap Akkerhuis is going to talk about long-term DNS research, but not by his entity. But he got some slides, or he

talked to one of the universities, and he's going to talk about it, which [inaudible] interesting.

And then we have an IDN presentation from Thailand. All these countries with their own non-Roman script always have interesting things to say. I need to come to the 14:30/15 slot. At 14:46, we have been asked to observe a minute of silence, because it is the exact time when this big earthquake happened in 2011. So, I've put a slide at the end of my agenda, which I then – I propose and I discussed it with Shinta Sato from the local organizers whether it's appropriate to do it like this.

I will set my alarm for a minute early – and I've spoken to the presenter already – so that I'm aware of it, and we'll switch the slide to the agenda that I'm going to send to her, with the text that they have asked us to present, is verbatim there, and then I just bring it up, and we can all rise and observe the time it takes to read this. And so that we do this in a respectful manner. I personally am not religious, I don't want to force anybody, but we are guests here, so that's the way we are going to do this. Is there any questions with regards to the [latter]?

Okay. We then usually discuss the next meeting, but I want to leave this for another moment. I want to talk about the budget. I have started to think about asking for a proper budget item to be put somewhere, preferably not under the ccNSO, but if it goes

under their vote, it's one thing. I would like to have a fixed budget item for Tech Day which is a permanent item, which is not subject to annual review, which is [there].

So far, we have been unable to fund any speaker's travel or hotel costs or very – at some occasion, we have been able to, and we - on occasion, we have asked the Australians have sometimes make a hotel room available and things like this, but I want this to be organized. So far, we have been lucky in that we always got enough speakers who are coming anyway, who could afford to come on their own.

But it's quite clear that, for example, Mark Svancarek is not going to fall under this category. He comes from Microsoft. They fund us always. Yeah, but a small researcher from a small university has got interesting stuff to say something.

Also, let's put the facilitator travel. My own travel has been funded by the ccNSO at the beginning, and then Patrick has been squeezing some funds out of his budget to the extents of flying economy, when he was entitled to fly business, just to stretch the budget. But the budget is being cut.

So this time, it was not possible to even fund my hotel, but when ccNSO noticed this, they already without my application, put me on for funding for the Marrakesh trip. So I'm very grateful to the ccNSO.

What I propose is that we ask for two speakers to be funded for each meeting and the facilitator. We are asking for two speakers, and I don't want this to be recorded, in the hope that there is some room for negotiation. I propose that the way we do this, that once – if I as the – or the program committee or the facilitator decides on a speaker who makes a good case, that then a committee of in which I am not involved, of which one member should be a staff member, one member should be a ccNSO council member, and a third member should come from SSAC for example, and they should be members of this group, so that a more or less independent, widely represented group decides on those funding. And I also propose that the funding should not be carried over. If for one meeting, the funding is not being used, it should be fall away. It should not just not be spent, it should just be available. It's not that I'm saying that we should have a budget and we must spend it. Has anybody any feelings about this? [Jaap]?

[JAPP AKKERHUIS]:

I think it's a good idea to do this, because there's a lot of - sometime we get a lot of presentation. Now, some presentation comes from ... interesting presentation come from people that don't have the budget to come here. So, if there's an option to pick a few sometime, and have interesting topics, I think it's worthwhile to look at.

EBERHARD LISSE:

I remember one particular case that ... Currently I'm dealing with an EPP dictionary attack against us from one of our registrars. And there is a two coordinate DII written in [inaudible] by one Patrick [Maftseck], who has presented in Cairo and who's presented in Brussels. And I remember we got him to fly to Brussels. ICANN I think fronted the ticket, and the Australians gave one of the rooms available. That's why I mention it. So, when he came to Brussels, he just took the [inaudible] on his own expense.

But there is sometimes, small researchers have got interesting things to say, and I really would like to have a firm budget. Also, a fixed budget in a budget vote puts us on the map. Everybody that I talk to from both SSAC, agrees that we're doing a good job here. And we're doing it with a reasonable amount of bang for the buck that you're getting. So, I think it becomes time, we should now formalize this a little bit. Not that I really want to get a big empire out of this, but I think as I've always said, the facilitator's travel should be paid, especially if he's from a small ccTLD like I am. And for the speaker ... Yes, it is even more important. And I don't want to be involved in the funding decisions, because I'm participating or benefiting from it. Stephen?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Thank you, Eberhard. What are the concrete steps to go about this in terms of also getting maximum success out of it?

EBERHARD LISSE: The point is this budget period is close, so we are not in a hurry. I have started to draft a proposal, so which ... When I've got it sort of in a form that can be read properly, I will circulate it to the mailing list. And then we just circulate it – give it to the Council in copy, and we just send it to Xavier. I personally think it should be under global engagement, because that's what it's doing. But it should be a separate budget item, in addition to your budget, that it should not come out of your budget.

Or if you put it under the ccNSO, it should be an additional budget item, not be taken out of the ccNSO amount. And that's not my decision, but that's what I'm going [inaudible], I'm trying to motivate for. Yeah, and let's see what happens. But I'm quite sure that it ... I think the Tech Day is one of the pillars of the meetings. So I'm quite sure that there will be positive feedback.

So I propose ... I will draft this letter when I'm settled down after my return and circulate it to the Tech WG list – not to the public one, to the internal one – and we can then review it, and wordsmith it until everybody's happy, and then we'll submit it.

And it's not in a hurry. We have got lots of time for the next budget. Until then, I'm quite appreciative of the ccNSO. I'm quite sure they will assist me with the funding for the next trips. Stephen?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: So what I hear is you're shooting to get some sort of budget inclusion in the FY21?

EBERHARD LISSE: Yes. This year it's too late. We can ask for it, but the budget is already - budget period is already over.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Right.

EBERHARD LISSE: I'm shooting for 21. I don't see this as a short-term thing. I see this as a long-term thing. If they say, "Okay, we've got some funds for – if you have a speaker and you can't do - and you can't get in, we have some – we'll find some funds, in this year we make a plan," then we can occasionally also use that.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: So this would start potentially in June of 2020? Yes.

EBERHARD LISSE: Yeah. It gives us enough time to do this in an orderly manner. I don't like this rushed things. It gives everybody enough time to think about it, and to be honest, we can then brief board members beforehand, that they know what's going on.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Right. That's fine. I was just verifying that from a ccNSO standpoint.

EBERHARD LISSE: Yeah. Okay. That's that. Marrakesh. Marrakesh is an Arab speaking country, so it's obviously IDN is what we are talking about. What else?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's a half-day session?

EBERHARD LISSE: It's a half-day session, that means it will be with DNSSEC together as usual, which has so far worked out splendidly I must say I'm really impressed the way this works out. We always get invited to their lunch. Yeah. So, even if it's only half a day, it's always very pleasant. The venue is very pleasant, I must say. We

have been there before. So even though it's not [inaudible] but it comes in second best, but the venue is a very nice.

So the last time after DNSSEC, the lunch was very pleasant in the outside [inaudible], so this is quite a good opportunity of engagement. And we must basically speak with SSAC or the DNSSEC people, what they're doing, so that we sort of try and complement each other. But [Jaap] is on the group, and it's not a problem. So we will write the usual letter, we'll speak about IDN. What else do we ask for?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Just thinking more about the IDN thing. I was talking to someone the other day about the use of Arabic scripts and it's obviously not just IDNs. It's email addresses and those things as well, what you probably meant. I wonder if it's possible to get somebody from an Internet user community there to talk about the problems that they face using those scripts, because I think it would be useful for us to hear details of the type of problems that people have, rather than necessarily just the work that's going on to solve that.

EBERHARD LISSE: The most interesting presentations that I recall in a long while is [inaudible] presentations, the one in Dubai from Saudi Arabia,

how difficult and how complicated this Arab script is. That was marvelous. The other thing is, where this Chinese lady spoke about her mother-in-law in the rural area, who has the same problem - as my mother-in-law. It's just my mother-in-law doesn't speak English and is [inaudible]. But for her mother, she's quite literate, but she only speaks Chinese. For her, it's very difficult to email just with her daughter, because her daughter doesn't really have a proper - orr in the beginning, didn't have a proper address. And her mother didn't know how to type the Roman addresses. And that's something that I had never considered.

So that's a very good suggestion. We must see. The last time when we were in Morocco, I tried to get a host presentation. They were not interested to communicate. I told them about this, but they were not interested. Do you know somebody there that you can approach maybe?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [off mic].

EBERHARD LISSE: No, because you're much more francophone than I am.

[REGIS]: [Regis] from [inaudible]. Perhaps I can check if I have some contacts that I can check and give you. I will [inaudible].

EBERHARD LISSE: There is also ... And I hate to say the word ALAC. I know some of them come from Morocco, and I think those are actually the people – the end users that we might be able to talk to. So I will force myself to do penance and go on Wednesday afternoon to the AFriNIC, to the African situation, and raise this issue.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you very much.

EBERHARD LISSE: You are most welcome. I've will take lots of Valium before I go there. Stephen?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Returning to this IDN script issue. This is a hot topic at almost every APTLD meeting, and I would suggest as a resource the APTLD general manager who can probably direct you to speakers that we do not know of, and also some topics that we have not considered.

EBERHARD LISSE: Yes, but it must be Arabic or Africans, because the meeting is in Africa. When the meeting is in Asia, then I would prefer APTLD speakers. I will take anybody who is interesting. That's beside the point. Let me finish. The first approach will be to talk to the [Africas] I will speak to Leonid anyway, if he's got something to – and somebody that we can talk to. But the effort should be made for locals of for regionals, because it's also easier for them to come and we also get them to come.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Our last meeting of APTLD was in Dubai, and there was a meeting prior to that, a couple of years back in Oman. So, the reach of APTLD is rather large and it does include Arabic.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, there's another IDN related topic that the group might want to think about and it's around the adoption of IDNA 2008 at the TLD level. So I don't know if that opens up controversy or not, but it is something that the board has been picking up after the SSAC advice on SSAC 95. So I don't know if there's room for a talk about that.

EBERHARD LISSE: Can you elaborate a little bit for your ignorant chair?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: So SSAC 95 is about emoji domain names, and the board advice to the community groups was about compliance with IDNA 2008. And so the TLDs that are allowing emoji domains, aren't following IDNA 2008.

EBERHARD LISSE: As we know, the relationship with ICANN of ccTLDs is bilateral and not bound by these things. But that makes it even more interesting, because there may be some that use it and it would be quite interesting to see whether they have got problems. Or what is the feeling about the board advice? Jay?

JAY DALEY: I was just going to suggest John Levine as the presenter on the IDN 2008 and other issues. He understands that topic extremely well.

EBERHARD LISSE: Yeah, he's having two presentations this time.

JAY DALEY: [off mic].

EBERHARD LISSE: Yeah, but the point is he's here so we can [mail] him and ask him what he has to say and whether he's coming. And then we can say, “Can you do something?” Do you know him well?

JAY DALEY: Yes.

EBERHARD LISSE: There you go. Never volunteer.

JAY DAILEY: Sorry?

EBERHARD LISSE: Never volunteer. Okay. So you will talk to him?

JAY DALEY: Yes.

EBERHARD LISSE: Good. What else? I see one of my brothers-in-law on that corner. Any contribution, even if you're not a member? Okay.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]. So, it's a policy meeting. So we should try to find policy related topics. DNS over HTTP to TCP. Is there any policy things we ...

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Check the study group recommendation for the [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, two days ago the technical study group released a draft specification that's related to the EPDP, right? On registration data. So perhaps that might be more advanced by the Marrakesh meeting. I don't know.

EBERHARD LISSE: Even if not, even if it's in its early days, and we are not bound by it, it is a topic that is interesting. Generally speaking, many of us use Google tools and [Friend], some for gTLD, some for ccTLD. So usually these things are built into this registry systems. Are you building something like this into [Friend]?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes. So we already have our [inaudible] service and we also have the identity service. So we are trying to join these together, which is a similar effort what [CSG] is trying to achieve for gTLD. So, we are closely watching what will be the result of the study

group, and if this is something we could potentially implement in [Friend].

EBERHARD LISSE: The very least is that we can have the study group give us a presentation, 20 minutes in, what it means for us. What it means not for us, but then ... Because we are basically only the big TLDs are implementing things themselves. If [Gus Miller] puts it into [Google] Tools, we use it. So ...

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think the idea is June – no, August 29th you have to have RDAP and you need ... So maybe that's another topic that we should talk about?

EBERHARD LISSE: RDAP is actually a good topic. Yeah, because I know – I spoke to Gus Miller from [Google] about it. It's going to be put into it on the next major revision, whether we then use it as a separate issue. But we can switch it on.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: By the way, as we discussed on the mailing list, tomorrow, there is a collision with the [TSG] output and Tech Day. Is there some

precautions for the next meeting how to avoid this or still we don't know what ...

EBERHARD LISSE: Two things. We have already noticed a few conflicts that we resolved. I must confess that I have not been very diligent, because I was very busy with other things. I am observer on this meeting preparation thing. So I will try to be more diligent and pay more attention that we fight for nothing technical to come on Monday or whenever we do this.

There were three things – or three or four – and we got three kicked off. There's only so much and there are so many meetings, it's not possible to kick everything off. Good. RDAP is then one thing that we should maybe talk about. Kim, you're keeping notes? Or who's keeping notes? Are we taping this?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, [inaudible].

EBERHARD LISSE: Okay, then we can transcribe it, and then I have to ... Stephen has got all those, but we can have it transcribed, yeah? Okay. No, it's usually transcribed when we ask for it. So we have it transcribed and then I can go through it, and we design our

thing from that. Anything else? Where is our meeting room tomorrow? It's one of the big three next to each other? Yeah. Okay. I've seen that. It's next to GAC and next to GNSO somewhere here.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, somewhere upstairs, [inaudible].

EBERHARD LISSE: Okay. Anything else? All right. Then I'll let you go. Thank you very much.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Good to go. Time to spare.

EBERHARD LISSE: [inaudible] half an hour.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]