
KOBE – ASO AC Monthly Meeting
Monday, March 11, 2019 – 10:30 to 12:00 JST
ICANN64 | Kobe, Japan

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to the ASO AC session. This is our ASO AC face-to-face meeting, which is in line with our March meeting, that's our monthly meeting.

So once again, welcome. We don't have any newcomers. By the way, it's an open meeting, so if anybody wants to join in, they can join in. Right, so German already shared the agenda, which is not there at the moment.

So you have got the agenda in the mail. Please have a quick look while German can do the roll call. Okay, German is saying, "I'm not going to do the roll call."

So just a time out. The session is divided into two. the first session is open session, we'll be discussing routine stuff, which is working on the recommendations as part of the ASO review. The second session is closed. There, we have to discuss the ICANN board seat ten election procedure and the outcome of the previous week's interviews. So that will be closed, latter half in the afternoon. So please have a look at the agenda. If you would like to add something in Any Other Business, then please let me know.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Alright, it's up there. I cannot read at all. That's fine. So we can do the roll call now.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Yes. Sorry, I had a problem with my laptop. Okay, started with AFRINIC representative, Wafa Zaafouri, not here. Omo Oaiya, not here. Noah Maina, not present. Brajesh Jain.

BRAJESH JAIN: Present here.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you, Brajesh. Simon Baroi.

SIMON SOHEL BAROI: Present here.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you, Simon. Aftab Siddiqui.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Present.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you. Louis Lee.

LOUIS LEE: Present.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you. Jason Schiller. No. Kevin Blumberg.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Present.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you. Jorge Villa.

JORGE VILLA: Hi, German, I'm here.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you. Ricardo Patara.

RICARDO PATARA: Present.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you. Esteban Lescano.

ESTEBAN LESCANO: Present.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you. Filiz Yilmaz.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Present.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you, Filiz. Nurani Nimpuno.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Present.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you, Nurani. And Hervé Clément.

HERVÉ CLÉMENT: Present.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you. We have 11 members of the SO/AC, and based on the quorum rules, we have quorum Aftab.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: How many? Sorry, I missed how many members.

GERMAN VALDEZ: 11.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: 11, that's fine. Observers and listeners?

GERMAN VALDEZ: Okay, we'll start with the observers. From RIRs, any observer from AFRNIC? I see Alan. Okay. From APNIC? No observer from APNIC. From ARIN? From LACNIC, observers? And RIPE?

AXEL PAWLIK: Yes, sir, good morning.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Axel.

CHRIS BUCKRIDGE: Good morning.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Chris Buckridge, and Richard Leaning. Okay. From ICANN staff –

CARLOS REYES: This is Carlos Reyes.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you. From ICANN board?

AKINORI MAEMURA: Akinori Maeumura is observing, and then let me [cascade] Ron da Silva's apologies. He's now engaged in the board session, and then he will make some part of the afternoon session. That's – please receive his apology. And then I'll be [departing] from here if you do the election stuff, so please let me know. Thank you.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you, Maumura-san. And any other observer from the community?

HANS PETTER HOLEN: Hans Petter Holen, RIPE chair, and I just want to point out that my colleagues over there are from RIPE NCC, which is not the community but an RIR.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Yes. It was clear for me at least. Yeah, we have full record, Aftab, of participants.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Thank you, German. As requested, if you have reviewed the agenda and if you'd like to add something to the agenda in the AOB, then please let me know, because it's a long list, it'll take a lot of time to read everything. So just go through it, and if you'd like to add – anyway, if you want to add something later, then that's fine, not an issue.

Right, so after the roll call, we can go ahead and start with the first item of our agenda, let's review the meeting minutes of February 2019, which was sent by Susannah. So, if you have any concern or corrections on that one, then please let us know. If not, then happy to accept the meeting minutes.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: I'll make the motion to accept the minutes as presented.

BRAJESH JAIN: I second.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Just before, but I think it was fixed, I have two corrections but I think, Susannah, you corrected it.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: As per the last message, she said [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay, so it's okay.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: That's fine. Thanks for notifying it. Susannah did the correction and sent it again saying after the corrections highlighted by her [inaudible]. So yeah, so I would repeat, the updated meeting minutes after the correction by ...

So the motion you have proposed is for the updated meeting minutes.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Correct.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Just so that everybody is on the same page. and Brajesh, you have seconded the same thing?

BRAJESH JAIN: Yes.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Okay. Any objections? Any abstentions? No? Carried forward. Thank you. German, you may publish the meeting minutes for February. Thank you, everyone, for that.

Now, review of the open action items. Okay. So it's 190206-1, which is German to publish the 2019 ASO AC Work Plan on the ASO website.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Done.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: How simple was that? I wish we could go through this like that.

GERMAN VALDEZ: The document section of ASO website.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Done. Let's do it rapid fire. Okay. 190206-2, German to publish the annual transparency review 2018 on the ASO website.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Also completed, document section of the ASO website.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Roger that. Thank you, Harman. By the way, if anybody wants to comment something, please, just intervene and say something. 190206-3, Aftab to recirculate the text relating to recommendation nine, the ASO AC should implement term limits for the position of chair and vice chair of a seven-day comment period, and e-vote on whether to add the text to the operating procedures will be held at the end of the comment period.

So it was sent, and for seven days, it remained there. There were no further comments or suggestions for any changes. Then we went through an e-vote and we had a successful e-vote. Whoever participated in that e-vote voted in affirmation of that. So as part of the procedures, we needed 12 votes, that is done.

But one thing I'd like to highlight, that we haven't updated our operating procedures yet. So all these recommendations were confirmed, but the idea was once all of them are confirmed, just publish everything in one go so that there's no missing pieces. So we will just publish it all together. Let me go through all of the recommendations first and then I'll ask German to publish it.

Right, any comment on that one?

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

Just for the record, the results were 12 in favor, zero against and zero abstaining, correct?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: 13 in favor.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: 13 in favor?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Zero against, zero abstentions.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Thank you.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: German – oh, sorry, go ahead.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Just a quick comment on the process. So, I'm happy to take it after whatever it was you needed to.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Go ahead.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Okay, thanks. Just a question or a comment. And I actually brought it up with Kevin informally in the break, could we use

something else than Doodle to vote? Because I think it's not a very good tool for voting. And we do have proper tools for those things.

And then also, I actually also found it a little bit confusing. I had to check several times if I'd voted or not. So if we use a proper tool, then you can get a notification that you've voted and then you know you can file it aside. That was all.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Just to answer your question, absolutely, that's a priority thing. We are looking into this one too, because Doodle is not supposed to be for this purpose. There are better tools. Secretariat is already looking into – we have notified secretariat. So yes, thank you so much. So, Kevin, you want to say something? And then German.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

Yeah. Absolutely, we want a consistent tool that is meant for voting. The other thing that is extremely important to me is a confirmation receipt of the vote to be able to know that I have actually done what I'm supposed to have done, and I would add that one piece to the secretariat in terms of from a features and functions point of view. There should be a voting tool that has these types of features.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Just to add that, yes, we received the feedback, and we are going to work in having a more suitable tool for [the kind of] voting. And that will be part of the secretariat work. Thank you.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So how about creating an action item [and get a] feedback by next month.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Well, yes.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: I mean we can roll it over, that's fine, but still.

GERMAN VALDEZ: No, that's okay.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Just for the tracking purposes. Thank you, German, thank you, Nurani. Alright, so action item 190206-4, German to set up an e-vote for adding the text relating to recommendation nine. That was completed, as explained in the earlier action item, so that is done as well. You can mark it as closed.

Now, action item number five, secretariat to report back to the ASO AC regarding GDPR requirement for the ASO AC website. I

saw an e-mail from Susannah in the morning, so I would like Susannah to update further on that one.

SUSANNAH GRAY:

Yes. I'm still working with the RIPE NCC legal team on what requirements we need for the GDPR, for the ASO website. I did add a small piece of text regarding the use of personal data on the contact page, so you'll see the link to that in the e-mail that I sent. That's all that's been done on that so far, but I'm still working with the team on that. And I'll keep you updated.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Thank you, Susannah. Any comment, question, further question, concern, further concern on this one? We have removed most of the things which we thought were concerning already, but this was just to make sure that we are all on the same page and get the legal confirmation, because everything is residing on the RIPE NCC server, not anywhere else. Good. Thank you.

Alright, now action item number six, Carlos to find out whether a volunteer who is not the ASO AC chair or vice chair can serve on the 2019 multi-stakeholder ethos award selection committee and inform the ASO AC as soon as possible, which he did. Any further comment on that one? It was a yes or no thing, so yeah, that's fine.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: I guess my only comment is if there's a response from ASO AC.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yeah. There's no further question on that one, right? Okay. So that was the response, there's no requirement as such. Number seven, Aftab to ask staff to ask the NRO EC to confirm which members will be attending ICANN 64 and whether it had specific topics to discuss with the ASO-AC during the joint ASO-AC NRO EC session. We had a session yesterday, so yeah, kind of done.

Eight, that's me and German both. Okay. Aftab to send a Doodle poll to the members of the ICANN 64 ASO public session planning team. Okay, so we had this meeting, and we had a preliminary discussion on what to do, how to do things in the ASO public session. It was fruitful, and we came up with a few ideas. Let's see how it goes.

I gave you the idea that what we're going to do tomorrow in the public session is going to be a presentation from the NRO, which is a usual presentation about the resource allocation, what's happening in that area. I added two things. One was the IPv4 transfer status, what's happening in the transfer space, addresses transferring from one RIR to another and stuff.

And the second one I requested was an intro to the RPKI, just to let people know what RPKI is and what problem it can solve. Nothing further, just keeping it very short and simple.

The second is the IANA services update from the PTI. We had our meeting during ICANN Barcelona. They accepted the request. Second, we had a meeting here as well. They will come back with formal updates later today hopefully.

And then a policy update from our end. So this is what we are planning to present. If you have any other question or comment on that one, then please.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

I believe it was in the October meeting that we started the discussion on improving the dialog at our face-to-face meetings for the community, and we went from October to today, which is six months. But I don't feel that the process was great in this regard. I believe it was rushed, unfortunately.

There's lots of people to blame, or I can blame myself, I was one of the people on this list. But we definitely have more content for this. It's definitely a start. But we need to almost start again now, taking the lessons learned from this meeting and working towards it. I think part of the issue is as a volunteer, dividing my time. And in my case, that time was divided and prioritized for the

seat ten election process and not for this task. So as a recommendation, I would say that we should not forget about this and start it back up in October, but really have a group of people take lessons learned from this event and almost start the process now, looking at RIR meetings during the year and seeing the content that's being produced during the year, and being able to say this content would be really good to have in 2020 at the next event.

But if we keep it in the back of our heads and start looking now for the content that we're seeing, whether it be at a NANOG or at a RIPE or whatever RIR meeting it may be, this is a long process, and like I said, we should have an action item where we start that process after this meeting.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Absolutely. I cannot deny the fact that it was not a very smooth process. We tried a few things, but again, as part of the group of volunteers, sometimes we have our day jobs as a priority, sometimes few other things come up as priority. As you mentioned, seat ten election was the most important thing for this group. So of course, it went to the back burner somehow. And we need to work on this one, absolutely. I cannot deny that one.

So moving forward, let's see how it goes. As I said, let's see how it goes in the public session first and take the lessons from there, and further improve it.

As I said before multiple times, I was looking for suggestions. Thankfully, I got a few suggestions. I would really thank [Javier] for that, providing feedback. And you were there as well. So [all were] on the call initially, we got feedback from Ricardo as well. So it's not like people didn't provide the feedback, but it was just we should have done a much better job, I would say. We didn't do a bad job, I would say. But let's see how it goes in the public session before we say it was a bad job.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Was that an action on somebody? Kevin?

KEVIN BLUMBERG: [inaudible].

SUSANNAH GRAY: You asked for an action item.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Put it on the chairs and the vice chairs. Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One thing to consider as the group is thinking about content and programming, the office of the CTO here at ICANN runs a How it Works tutorial, which is several topics, DNS fundamentals, root server operations, etc. They're always looking for new content, so if the group thinks that there could be a 90-minute session that could be numbers-related, they're totally open to including that in the program.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Thank you [inaudible]. Okay, sure, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, that was actually one of the comments yesterday, was that a lot of our content actually mandates that the individual who's looking at it understands what something as basic as a number is, and that's not necessarily the case.

So that's not necessarily the role of the ASO-AC per se. I don't think that doing 101 tutorials on what an Internet number is is necessarily the best thing for us. But there being a tutorial from somebody within would probably be very beneficial, because you can't go into what we're talking about not really understanding what an IP is or an AS number, etc.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yeah. And what was revealed in yesterday’s newcomer session – and Kevin asked how many people know what numbers are in the ICANN. There were only two hands in the whole – there were like around 50, 60 people in the hall, and only two people raised their hand. And he went further and said, how many people understand IP addresses or Internet addresses? Still two hands. Further going, the result was quite disappointing.

So yeah, probably a 101 from the ICANN side would help, but of course, it’s not part of our program. We cannot make it part of our program. But I think ICANN Org should look into this one if they want to have a good understanding.

NURANI NIMPUNO: I think Carlos was saying though that they welcome content from us in their session. So if we want to – and I think we’re all capable of explaining what an IP address is, if we want to contribute to the technical session, or if you want to invite someone from a number community to do so, then I think that’s highly appropriate.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yes, but I would pass it on to NRO. It’s not part of the ASO AC’s remit. So NRO EC’s here, they’re listening. If you think that this community, the ICANN community should be informed about the IP addresses, then please go ahead, do it. It’s not part of our remit.

That’s what we discussed yesterday. We should know what we are doing, so [inaudible] policy, if somebody wants to have a discussion on the policy, happy to do a 101 on the policy development process in the RIR. That would be much better.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

I think it’s a little bit of subtlety. Sending it to the NRO EC to say it would be good if there was an educational series and having them pass it back and saying, “Find somebody to do it,” or “find a community member to do it,” but I think that it should go up there, and it will very possibly come back down to us. But again, taking on more work until we've had time to get it vetted to the right body is probably – I don’t want to, again, take on more work when we don’t necessarily need to do it, or we can find somebody else to do it. this is education and it’s beneficial, but it doesn’t help our core mandate.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Yeah. I'm a little embarrassed about that question, because I completely understand your point that it’s not the ASO AC’s role to have this role [inaudible] to teach specific about IP and something else, but as individual, if you are here, it’s because we are part of this community, this IP community of course, so I think we all have capacities to teach something.

So, I don't know, we have something to think about that. I don't know as individual information passes through us, so I think we can be [in a way, helpful] to do that. So I don't think the solution is very clear about that. We cannot do anything about that.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

We can definitely do something about that, but the idea was that ASO AC take part in that role. So that was, being an ASO AC, we have a very focused role, and the idea is to stick to that role. That's what I was saying, if that clarifies. Any further comment? Yeah, Brajesh?

BRAJESH JAIN:

While I agree that it may not be the ACO AC's primary role, but if there is a volunteer taking on some activity, that probably should be increased, in my view.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

So, we heard a few things. Everything is a volunteer role here, right? So you being part of the NomCom is a volunteer role, but it was appointed by the ASO AC and ratified by the NRO EC. So everything is a volunteer role, so we have a specific role, being a volunteer here, and that is very limited.

So as I said, I would pass it on to NRO EC. If they think it's necessary to do it and they have staff members to do it, let them do it. If they think we can do it – and I think everybody here is more than capable to do something like that, explaining a 101 of what IP address is and what ASN is and how the policy works. But I think it's not the remit of this group to decide. That's what I will say.

BRAJESH JAIN: Okay.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Alright.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So if I may ask, Carlos, if you are entrusted to have an answer from NRO EC, we can create an action item and toss it on [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible].

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: No, action on German to send it to the EC. I dodged a bullet. Alright, so nothing further? Right, moving forward now, the action item number is 190109-1, that's secretary to prepare an implementation plan for the proposed ASO AC mailing list – that is part of the recommendation number 16 – and share with the ASO AC prior to the ICANN 64 meeting. And thankfully, we have that proposed plan.

If I may request Susannah or German to share the details, that would be great.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Implementation plan of –

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: For the mailing list.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Oh, the mailing list. Yeah. I sent to the list two e-mails. I think they are linked, related to the implementation of the mailing list. That was based on the previous discussions of the [inaudible]. So I created a list called AC Discuss, that is meant to be used for the day-to-day operation. It has public archives.

At the moment, it's only the ASO AC members. [It will be] discussed further how we're going to accept the membership for this list that would be meant for day-to-day operations.

The other list is AC Internal. It has private archives, and it was meant for internal discussions, and [the core] members are ASO AC members only. And I think by the nature of the recommendation, it will be used in exceptional cases, so most of the discussion will happen in the other, in the previous mailing list I mentioned. That's [inaudible] status, and we developed more about the features of the list based on the discussions here.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Right. Thank you, German. I think everybody got that mail from two mailing lists, that is AC Discuss and AC Internal. Thank you for that. So let me just go through the proposal if you cannot recall at the moment. The idea was to create a new mailing list for the ASO AC day-to-day operations and make it publicly archived. That is AC Discuss [inaudible] aso.icann.org, and create a new mailing list for ACO AC intermetal discussion. It will be archived and accessible to ASO AC members.

Sorry, ASO which is AC and EC and the secretariat, we will close the AC [Core] mailing list, archive it for the ASO access. So, that was done. So, we had a few discussions internally. Did I do something wrong? Okay.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Okay, it wasn't. So we had a discussion internally, and the point is German sent a list of existing people on the AC [Core] mailing list. And the list is just too long, and we found – I initially thought that they will be a few people on the list, but there are just a lot of people on that mailing list, a few I was not even aware of.

So we have to review that, and the problem is we have to move everybody from the AC [Core] mailing list to the AC Discuss mailing list, because that will be the mailing list we will be using moving forward. So if we move all the people on that mailing list, then it really doesn't serve the purpose, right?

So what I can do and ask German is send that list to every organization so they are member from the ICANN, they are member from every RIR, staff, and of course NRO EC, which is RIR [CEOs] are there, ASO AC members are there, and who else? And ICANN board member which we have appointed.

So a good idea is to send it to them and say, "Well, you know [this will be put out on the] mailing list, and if you would like to continue with them, please give us a go ahead and we'll just move forward, move all of them to that one."

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Sorry, a little bit of confusion. Are you talking about the Internal list?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: AC Discuss.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: The AC discuss. I would prefer that it be a clean list, especially with all of the opt in, opt out requirements that have changed over the last 20 years. I would send a final e-mail to the [Core] list saying “Discussion is being terminated, here is how you sign up for the new list.” And I don’t believe we should be moving anybody over. I think it’s up to them to actively request. That’s the first part to this.

I've got some other things related to this. Obviously, that was my one direct response to this.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Okay. Sending a final message on that AC [Core] mailing list is fine, but the problem is – I just want to make sure that the CEO of the RIR, for example Paul, knows who is from the APNIC is part of the mailing list. So that [head] should know who’s part of that mailing list. And we have consent from the person itself that we

are signing you up. I mean, somebody has to sign them up, right? You can't subscribe to the mailing list. German? So somebody has to sign you up to it.

So if they agree, yes, you'll sign them up. If they don't, we will just remove them. So it's going to be a manual process for a long list of people. Brajesh?

BRAJESH JAIN: Now this AC Discuss list, is it open to public or not? You said it will be sort of by invitation.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Publicly archived. So right now, AC [Core,] if you're not part of the mailing list, you cannot even see the archive.

BRAJESH JAIN: So my question is, who can join this mailing list? By invitation only?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yes. And the list is ASO AC members, NRO EC, secretariat, and the observers. Very well-defined observers that is RIR staff, ICANN staff and the ICANN board members we have appointed.

BRAJESH JAIN: Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: In extension to what you said, I think the nature of the RIR staff who is in the AC [Core] list are the policy managers who are relevant for any global policy discussion. So they are the ones who are part of the AC [Core] list as observers. Yeah. And sometimes, they also participate on the calls as well.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So this should be reviewed at least annually, right? And send mail to all the people on the mailing list saying, “Well, you are on the mailing list.” Of course, they are getting the e-mail, but just for the opt-in or opt-out reason.

But the thing is some of the people I saw on the list, I said, “Well, I have no idea why they are on the mailing list.” Probably there is a good reason from the RIR staff because they represent the RIR staff, but I know they’re not closely related in any way or form with the policies. So if they are there, it’s good to know from the respective RIR why they are on that mailing list. If they want to be there, that’s fine, but it has to come from the RIR. [inaudible] we have five, six people or ten people on the mailing list, so everybody is aware that when they are sending an e-mail, knowing that this is a very closed mailing list, [or it] will be

publicly archived now, so who are the recipients there? That's the whole idea. Send a mail to all the heads of that RIR, send them that this is the list, and a final reminder on the AC [Core] that everybody will receive that e-mail. That's the purpose.

So, what should be the date?

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

I would like to suggest April 1st, just for so many reasons. It's close by to the next month, it's the start of a month, and hopefully, people don't take it as a joke. So maybe April 2nd would be more appropriate. But I guess the question is, does that give time for the secretariat to finish off whatever work needs to be done? I would like this to go live sooner rather than later.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Yes, Nurani.

NURANI NIMPUNO:

I don't have opinions on the implementation date. I'm happy for the chairs to decide that together with the secretariat. I did bring up one comment though on the list when German sent this out, and I'll repeat it here. I think it's helpful to have something in the footer that simply describes what this mailing list is, that it's an internal mailing list for the ASO AC, or that it's publicly archived

for example. I think that's helpful for all of us as we start using the new mailing list, and then also as we get new members onboard.

Then I don't know as for your discussion about who is on what list. You could have a mail out every month, every three months, every year that lists who is on that list. That has been done on other mailing lists I've been on so that you're aware of that. But I don't have opinions on the exact method of that, but there are ways of solving that. So I'm happy for the chairs to work with the secretariat for that.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Yeah. Thank you. But it was a nice suggestion on putting in clearly as part of the footer explaining what is the purpose of that mailing list and if it is publicly archived or not. So that clarifies a lot of things in terms of when we have only two mailing lists, so that clarifies regarding that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Just to add some to Nurani's comment, sometime, we discussed about a working plan to every year at the beginning of the year to review the mailing list. I don't know if it's in our working plan. If not, we can put it there, and have somehow [written] that every RIR CEO has a responsibility to indicate at the beginning of the year who are the people from their RIRs, that RIR that should be

in the mailing list [inaudible] because people change, the people that receive that information one year might not be in the ASO AC the following year, and we can have that in working plan. I think it's a good idea.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

Nurani, I love your suggestion, and I'd like to go one step further, which is to have the text set up by – or I think the chair and the vice chair should come up with the text and get it approved and edited by the ASO AC. And I think we should have an action item to get that done in the next two weeks.

But I would also like to, at a minimum, have in the private one that this is for limited communication, here are the people that have access to the list, etc. and reinforce on every e-mail that this should not be used unless it is absolutely necessary for specific business. So I think we can draft up those two footers to go into both of those mailing lists and give the ASO-AC a week to ten days to then review and edit and get it put into that. Would that be beneficial or a good action item in your mind?

NURANI NIMPUNO:

Sounds great.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Point well taken, Kevin.

GERMAN VALDEZ: Thank you for the suggestions. The secretariat have a specific document that's in a checklist form because every start of the year, we have our set of changes we need to implement in the website, and we can put that as part of the review of the mailing list as part of the checklist [inaudible] every year. No problem.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: It's also part of our action plan, so we would roll it over.

GERMAN VALDEZ: And the workplan.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: 2020 action plan as well so that we review it every start of the year.

JORGE VILLA: [inaudible]

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Jorge wants to do it twice.

JORGE VILLA: No, it might be good maybe at the end of the year to start the new year [with all the] information updates [inaudible] before the year end, you know who will be the new ones on board, and you can start – okay, you have to start [but the] last days of December [inaudible] everyone is on holiday, and then you have to remove the old ones to add the new ones, keep the EOIs updated, and we start the new year with all the information [inaudible]. Might be the last task of the year.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So we'll put it as part of the year-end review and see what's there to review at that time. Moving on now, let's see. Time check, thank you for that. So last action item – we have already discussed that one on top, so that's fine, to discuss the ethos award, that's fine.

Now, the ASO review status. Recommendation number six, we have already gave the text, agreed it and gave it to NRO EC, and we got the comments from NRO EC which Alan briefed yesterday. Thanks to NRO EC that they have updated the website. So you can actually see the progress of all the recommendations and what's happening on that side. it is pretty clear.

On the recommendation six on the website, it says the NRO EC proposed the following: step 12, contact ICANN to ask that it agree that paragraph 6.6.2.3 of the ASO operating procedures

could be used to address step 12. Step 15, contact ICANN to ask if in addressing step 15, it would agree to skip mediation and go straight to the arbitration as per clause seven of the ASO MoU. Step 16, contact ICANN to ask that it agrees that the ICANN board is able to follow the same process as any member of the public to ask the ASO AC to initiate the [GPDP.]

So, this is the response we got from NRO EC, and we don't have any further comments on that one. That is fine, we can just accept it as is it. But we don't have to change anything in our operation procedure. So we would request NRO to mark that as complete from our end at least. Or you would like to leave it there because it has to be updated in the MoU?

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

Based on discussion yesterday, I think that it's appropriate and I support the concept that once we've completed our work, whether that work is done by other parties or not, the ASO is done and should mark the stuff as complete. Otherwise, we're never going to show this as complete. We've done our work, we've made a recommendation, that recommendation has been accepted. At that point, we should not be leaving the items open. They're completed on our side. What the NRO does in terms of leaving it open or not is their prerogative, but these action items are complete as far as we're concerned until we hear otherwise,

which could be at the next review, it could be next year, could be next month, at which point we should be updated.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yeah. So from the ASO AC side I would consider it as complete, but one point is it is on the NRO website. So that part is that it has to be updated in the ASO MoU. So that is not complete. But I would request if that can be either completed from the ASO AC side, would be much better because we can say, “Well, we have done our job.” If I may ask, yes.

ALAN BARRETT: Yeah. Hi. I suggest that it might make sense to put a few more levels of more fine detail status tracking. Currently, we have completed or in progress or deferred. We could possibly have a few more levels to show that the ASO AC has completed their task but there's still something remaining from somewhere else. So maybe the secretariat could do that.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yeah, that would be great. That would serve a purpose, absolutely. Is that okay with you?

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Yeah. There are different levels and there's different things. The mailing list, we've done our job, we've come up with what the mailing list should be, and right now, it's with the secretariat to implement. So again, from our perspective, we've completed our work of getting a whole new set of procedures for the mailing list done. But yes, if we can show ASO AC complete and it's off our books for now, and it's documented on the NRO website that at least we're done, I'd be fine with that.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Right. Thank you. So the same goes for the recommendation 17, and it was the ASO should consider the adoption of a single authoritative description of the global PDP for global numbering policies. So we responded back with saying that the ASO MoU should be the final document, and we will make sure that the [GPDP] in our operating procedures is in line with the MoU. And MoU should have only the high-level details, it shouldn't be talking about the operational stuff in that one so that it is easy for us to make sure that the operating procedures are not in conflict in any way. But again, that requires some update in the ASO MoU, so again, if there are multiple levels of showing the progress, it would be much better to show that it is complete from our end and it is pending at the NRO EC and ICANN end.

Alright. Next one is recommendation number nine, the ASO AC should implement a term limit for the position of chair and vice chair. I would say it took a lot of time, because there were some reservations, but the group agreed that we should move forward. We voted once, but we didn't get the required amount of votes because there were some outgoing members that didn't vote, so we had to wait and then came back, put it back on the mailing list, had another discussion. There were no updates after that as well. Same text, after three months we did an e-vote, and we got the votes.

So we got the required number of votes, and now we will send it to the NRO EC for the final comment. Then once we have the final comment, we can update our operating procedure and fix the status on the NRO website. Yes.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Just a clarification. We voted, it's now just the formality of sending it to the NRO EC.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So they can veto it.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: What? they can absolutely, but as far as we're concerned, we've done exactly what this recommendation asked us to do, and again, minus the physical just sending it to them, this should be marked as completed. The moment that that is sent, as far as I'm concerned, we are done.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So we'll mark it as complete on our end, but let's send it to the NRO EC first and then we'll request them to mark it on their website as well. But so far, it is done at our end.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Thank you.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: No further question? Good. Recommendation number ten, the ASO AC should ensure that the duties of the address council chair and the address council vice chairs be added to the ASO AC operating procedure.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Oh, wow, that was good. So that was completed way back. We voted on that one, and we sent it to the EC, and we didn't get anything to update or change on that one, so that was okay. So we can move forward and mark that as complete as well. Yes.

Now, recommendation number 15, ASO AC meetings should be open to the public, except for discussions regarding the selection of individuals for ICANN role.

Yeah, so we got some feedback on that one from the EC. The point is to have a discussion on that. As the text stands, there were a few changes recommended by the empowered community. Number one is there is no need for the NRO EC to approve any waiver of holding a face-to-face meeting. You could consider removing the sentence, “The council may waive conducting the in-person meeting. Such a waiver should be approved by the executive council of the Number Resource Organization.

That’s fine, absolutely. That was, I would call it a prehistoric text, because it was there from the very beginning. So yes, it should be removed. It wasn’t added as part of the change, and it should be removed. That’s my opinion. If anybody would like to disagree, please go ahead and do that. No? That’s fine.

Good. So the second point is important. Instead of “the in-person meeting will be conducted at an ICANN community forum,” you could consider something a little more flexible, such as “in-

person meeting may be conducted at an ICANN community forum meeting, or the approval of NRO EC at any suitable venue.”

When it was added, probably – and almost 16 months ago, something like that, it was in San Juan I guess, we were working on that and we added that. And the idea was to make sure that community forum is the first event of the year, and so the idea was to make sure that everybody is aware that face-to-face meeting will be at the first meeting of the ICANN.

It was okay at that time, but I can tell you why it is not okay now. And I totally agree with this one now. If we go back 16 months, I wasn't in favor of making it open, but now I am absolutely in favor of making it open. Why? Because of the ICANN strategic plan of holding ICANN community forums for next five years. And there's a big problem with that one.

Number one problem is for next five years, it will be in Mexico and San Juan. So next one is Cancun, Mexico. After that is San Juan. Right after that is again Cancun, and so it doesn't serve the purpose at all. The idea was to [rotate around.] Yes, Esteban would be much happy.

ESTEBAN LESCANO: Nice place, but...

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

So, we had a discussion yesterday where a couple of points came out. This may not be called a community forum five years from now or three years from now, so us codifying it as the community forum is probably not helpful. Based on, again, what Aftab was just saying, the key criteria is regional diversity in terms of making sure that the ASO AC participants are able to meet but also able to travel in their regions as required. And having it all shunted into one region effectively or one geographic area is probably not very conducive for this body. Although it might be good for ICANN, it's not good for this body.

So there's a very good chance that we as a body will need to look at, is it better to hold this at an RIR meeting in terms of the face-to-face for better diversity geographically over the next couple of years? I think we should take this back and rework it to make it as flexible as possible, with the key consideration that any budget issue related to a change that we request will need to go through the NRO EC, so they will need some approval obviously, because if there's a substantial budget – I'm sure they'd love for it to be a cheaper event, but if there is a budget differential by having to move it outside of whatever accepted norm is right now, then they'll need to obviously approve that change.

But unfortunately, the chairs and vice chairs were given a heads up to this, I guess about six to eight months ago, and we're

waiting for – I don't know if this is finalized yet, the locations, if that's been done. I don't believe –

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

It's not public yet, but the information we got speaking to a couple of people in ICANN, [spoke to Nick] and he said, well, consider it done, because they have already done multi-year contracts with all these venues. So it's going to be like that. So as I said, Cancun, Cancun, San Juan, Cancun. So if we're going to go for community forum ever year for next four years, five years, it's going to be this.

So as Kevin said, to look into the diversity and making sure that we go to every region and make sure that we engage with the community as well. It's not helpful at all. So we have to go back and work out on the text, fix the text so that it's much more workable.

NURANI NIMPUNO:

So first a question or clarification to see if I understood what you're proposing. Are you proposing that as an alternative, we have face-to-face meeting at other meetings such as RIR meetings or community events, ICANN community, whatever they'll be called, events?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yes. Not suggesting, we may have – we have to request NRO EC for approval. We cannot move it. the approval right now we have is for during the ICANN meeting. But we were making it more [restrictive] as part of the recommendation and we were making it that it should be at ICANN community forum.

The suggestion [that] came out is don't be so restrictive. That's fine, but then we saw that update that, well, I think it's much better to not just make it nonrestrictive but to open it further so that we can have it in any other regional meetings.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Right. So my opinion is that as the body that selects ICANN board members to represent us, I think it is essential that we have these meetings at an ICANN meeting where we can see and interact with other board members and where we can see the public ICANN board sessions, because if we don't have these meetings at the ICANN meetings, and especially if you're only funded to participate in the ASO face-to-face held meetings, then you lose that opportunity and you will not be as well-informed to make decisions about selecting someone onto the ICANN board.

So from my perspective, I think we need to have the one face-to-face meeting we have, we need to have it at an ICANN meeting. Thank you.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

So, Nurani, I don't disagree with you. The idea is to keep the text open enough because if half the participants consistently can't come because of the distance and etc., it's not doing a service to the body. So the idea is right now to make sure that we know about it, discuss it, sleep on it, and we've got a long time to prepare for it.

I don't personally want to see us move away from having involvement with ICANN. It kind of defeats the purpose because of the body that we are. but in terms of getting our work done for the face-to-face, I'm not seeing a lot of other people in the room. I think we need to meet. I think that's very important. And just based on the direction that we're seeing right now, keeping the options open for that face-to-face is important in our policy and our procedures. That's, I think, the main [takeaway.]

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

So the only purpose for this is to make sure the operating procedure text is open enough that if we have to for some reason move away from the ICANN meeting, for some reason NRO EC says, "Well, it's too expensive to go to XYZ place."

NURANI NIMPUNO: I'm all for openness, but I'll say I'm against that, actually. I'm saying that I think if we open up the possibility of meeting anywhere else, I think we lose the opportunity of being at an ICANN meeting. And I think we lose something – I'm all for making it easy for everyone to participate, but we are all funded by our respective RIR to participate in that one face-to-face meeting.

I have not throughout the years seen that the challenge has been accessibility to that particular meeting. People have various reasons not to attend physically. Funding is not one, because that's one we have. So for me, if we open up the possibility to meet at other RIR meetings or maybe somewhere in the middle where we all are, or somewhere where it's cheap, then we lose an essential factor, and that is to force the face-to-face meeting to be at an ICANN meeting where we can see what ICANN is about and where we can see the public board meetings.

To me, given that one of our core responsibilities is to elect a member on to the ICANN board, I think that would be seriously detrimental, actually, to our ability to do so.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Okay. Thank you. Brajesh, and then Hervé.

BRAJESH JAIN: Actually, [inaudible] told in the opening ceremony that the ASO is [not a] decisional participant for ICANN, number one. Number two, you mentioned that many members do not understand IP address. It is very important for us to be at an ICANN meeting. And we should not lose that opportunity.

But if there is a flexibility in that text, there should be very clearly established there, it will be at ICANN unless there is a reason to move away, and not by decision by somebody. For us to be involved with ICANN is very important.

HERVÉ CLÉMENT: Yeah. Yes, I will join Nurani's and Brajesh's comment. In fact, for me also it's important that this face-to-face meeting could take place during an ICANN meeting, because the ASO by definition is a supporting organization of ICANN. And it was underlined also during the consultation within the different regions that the link between ICANN and the ASO and so indirectly [with the RIR] ought to be kept. In fact, in terms of transparency and in terms of knowledge of everybody of what the ASO is and so, it's important that keeping this meeting within ICANN meeting can be kept as possible.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

This is the start of the discussion, and it's new ignorance obviously for the body. Again, what I said earlier, the fact that we've got community forum listed where the community forum may not be appropriate. I agree. Any way we can make it where it's at ICANN would be preferable over doing it another way. But does that mean it's going to be the community forum? Does it mean it's going to be at the AGM at the end of the year for whatever reason?

There's lots of things that we can do and look at. But then there are other decisions now, it's near the end of the year instead of the beginning of the year, there's lots of factors at play, etc.

But I think this is the start of the process in terms of understanding what's important for us in terms of meeting face-to-face, what are the key criteria for meeting face-to-face. And Nurani, I agree 100%, having interaction related to the board seats is crucial to be at an ICANN.

I also understand that making sure that we have geographic diversity in terms of where we meet, ICANN has historically taken care of that for us, because it just happened naturally. And that natural progression isn't happening.

If we can work with it by going to a different version of a different ICANN meeting, maybe that's the answer. We need to take this to the list, we need to talk about it, and just make sure that our

procedures aren't limiting to the point where we're having to constantly change the procedures because we specify community forum or we specify this state or we specify that. We need to keep it open because we now understand that ICANN is moving and doing things not necessarily at the same step as us. That's all.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Brajesh and Nurani, then [inaudible].

BRAJESH JAIN: Very quick, [while this] can be discussed on the mailing list, but it should be rather at the first meeting rather than the last meeting, because some members of the ASO AC are for one year only, and we get opportunity to meet here, and then when they interact on the telephonic meeting, it becomes slightly more meaningful. Thank you.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Thanks. So just to respond to Kevin, I totally agree that as long as we stick to ICANN meetings – I think in the past, we've chosen this meeting for several practical reasons like Brajesh was saying, it's the first of the year, it's an opportunity for everyone to come together if you're a new member, but also because there are more activities relating to us. I think often, with the new meeting

format, the June meeting is mostly domain policy-related stuff, so it's not really relevant to us.

So happy to discuss which one is the most appropriate. I tend to agree with Brajesh there. And as long as we don't miss the opportunity to actually have the meetings at the ICANN meetings.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Just to summarize that one, if you look at the current text, which myself, Kevin and Ricardo drafted, we enforce ourselves to meet at the ICANN meeting. We want and we understand the importance of meeting at the ICANN and interacting with the community and why it is important. Everybody knows.

So we are not going to go away from that, but the whole discussion is let's not be restrictive on that one, don't be restrictive on the community forum only. Either it could be anything else, or the policy forum, but we have plus and minuses for the policy forum. AGM, we have plus and minuses. More minuses for the AGM, as Brajesh said.

So let's discuss it back on the mailing list and see, find out the best possible solution. What we suggested initially is not going to work, that's what I'm saying. So we have to go back and find a better solution. Either we fix it to the community forum again and insist to NRO EC that, no, we stick with the community forum

only. Then we as a group have to decide that we stick to that one. So that's the whole point. Go back, discuss, no, we stick to community forum, and that's the combined discussion, and we'd like to go ahead with that, here is the text to NRO EC, and then it's up to them to accept or not. Right now, they have provided the comment that on the basis of the information we have received about the next few events.

No further comment? We'll go back to the mailing list on this one?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Filiz?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yes?

FILIZ YILMAZ: Maybe I missed this, but can you remind me, Aftab, where it says it needs to be restricted to the communique forum?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: "Type of meeting, 5.6, meeting of the address council may be held in person via teleconference or via videoconference. The council may waive conducting the in-person meeting. Such a waiver shall be approved by the Executive Council of the Number Resource

Organization. The in-person meeting will be conducted at an ICANN community forum.

S11 Okay. I hear that, but I think this was already before the meeting strategy, and I think the old institutional knowledge is saying ICANN community forum is just one of the ICANN meetings.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Yeah, I think that's [inaudible] not a restriction, it's just saying –

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

FILIZ YILMAZ: It is just one of the ICANN meetings.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: No, it is not. So this is the new text which we drafted for the recommendation.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: [inaudible].

NURANI NIMPUNO: Okay. Where is this text?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: It's part of the recommendation. Can you put the recommendation up if there is any possibility? It would be a challenge.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Okay, so let's just remove community forum. ICANN meeting. That has been traditionally –

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: That's what I'm saying. This is –

NURANI NIMPUNO: But that's not what you're saying, because you're saying let's open up all sorts of other potential venues. So in the past, we always stuck to ICANN meetings, so let's just leave it as that.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So let me read from what NRO EC has suggested. So the response when we submitted, we agreed on the text, we voted on that one, we gave it to the EC for the final ratification, and they came back with the text saying the council may waive conducting the in-

person meetings. Such a waiver shall be approved – sorry, am I reading the right one? No, I'm not.

“Instead of the in-person meeting [that will be] conducted at an ICANN community forum, you could consider something a little more flexible, such as in-person meeting may be conducted at an ICANN community forum meeting, or with the approval of the NRO EC, at any other suitable venue.”

NURANI NIMPUNO:

In that case, I think we made a mistake when defining ICANN community forum in our recommendation, because that has never been the practice of the ASO AC in the past, before or after the new meeting format. It was never defined that we should meet at the community forum.

It happened that way in practice because of several practical reasons, but it was never policy. We always had the discussion at the end of the year, which one of the meetings should we hold our face-to-face meeting at?

So if we – then it's our mistake, we put community forum, in there, then that's our mistake. So let's just fix that then and let's just keep it to ICANN meetings.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: And then we have to, again, decide at which meeting.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

NURANI NIMPUNO: But that's not something we need to define as a policy. That is something that is a practical matter that we can do as we have in the past. At the end of the year, we can decide which meeting is most appropriate to hold our physical meeting at.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yes, Mr. NRO EC chair.

ALAN BARRETT: Yeah. Hi. The NRO EC has approved the text that you asked us to approve, okay? So as it is. So right now the approve text says it must be at an ICANN community forum. The NRO EC is not instructing you or requesting you to make any kind of changes, we're just suggesting that you might not want to tie your hands so tight. And it might be a good idea to give yourself a little more space. Okay.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I see you're reluctant to give me the floor. As an observer, I am not allowed – I was going to offer you a history lesson, if you would like.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: I would like to hear that history lesson right after five minutes, if I may. I'm very sorry for that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay. My perception of this is that we're not restricting the face-to-face meeting to be once a year. Maybe we might have another face-to-face meeting during the year, maybe in another place, maybe using any other [inaudible] RIR meeting or something. Okay.

And maybe that could be a good way of understanding the suggestions, [they] tried to have more space to work. Maybe the most preferable is to work here at the first ICANN meeting of the year, but maybe we may have more. Okay, if we [don't] correct the text, we have no option to do another face-to-face meeting during the year. We have no real options.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Right. Thank you. Very well noted, all comments noted. So I'll bring it back to the mailing list if you want to keep the text as it is.

We all have approval on that one. If you want to move away from that one, we can fix the text and send it back to the EC for the approval.

Saying that, it's 12:00 and there's another session here, so we will move –

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There is no session, it just eats into your lunch time. So if you want to finish, it's fine.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Oh, forget it then. Okay, somebody was saying that there's a session here.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Okay, so they were misinformed. Stay here.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: [inaudible]. I don't know how much more we have, but we still have to eat before the afternoon. Is everybody in this room good with another 15 or 20 minutes and hard stop?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Not more than 15 minutes.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Yeah, hard stop in 15, or go to an adjournment in 15 to after the lunch. Is that palatable to everybody?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Okay, and I'll be quiet then.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Alright, so I'll just try to move forward. So recommendation 16, we already discussed as part of [inaudible] the mailing list, German has already sent the information. We will work out internally and give you the final answer what will be the next step moving forward as soon as possible. action item has been created if I'm not wrong, Susannah. Yes, that's fine.

So there are a few pending items as part of the action plan 2019. I will just quickly go through them, and nothing else is there.

Number one, you have seen an e-mail from German in last couple of days. That is the review of ASO profiles. So please look at your

profiles, update them, and make sure they're up to date and there's no problem with that one. It is for our own good, nothing else.

There's one problem. While I was looking at the action plan – and I reviewed it with German, and we found out that we don't have the PPFT, which is an oversight from me absolutely, and I would like all the regions to nominate policy facilitation team members. So I will send an e-mail right after this one that makes sure that we have the names from every region so that we can move forward.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Can you confirm the date that you need to have? Because this is now past due.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: ASAP. So the date is 11th, I'll make sure that – because we have everybody from every region except AFRINIC, so we have to wait for them. But I'll make sure that I'll reach out to them in all possible ways to get that name from them as early as possible. I would love to see them during these two-three days. And I don't see any reason not to have them.

And as part of the agenda, I'm going to send right after this session an e-mail with the draft presentation for the ICANN board

and require your feedback on that one. So if you get some time, please do that. It will help me.

And that's it. It's much earlier than 15 minutes, only four minutes, five minutes. Unless you have something in the AOB.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Maybe going back to the discussion of the open meetings, open teleconference, we discuss about reactivating the Announce mailing list as an alternative for pushing the RIR mailing list.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Okay. Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Could be here, could [discuss it in a minute] in the mailing list, but I think it's a good point of discussion.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: I can share that one. So the thing is as NRO EC shared an opinion on that one, is that it is not a good idea. So we decided that all our meetings will be open, right? And to circulate the message to as many people as possible, we said that we will use the RIR policy mailing list to circulate that message.

The suggestion came out from the NRO EC was it's not a good idea to send an e-mail every month, which I absolutely agree. So the solution we have come up with is we send one e-mail to all RIR mailing lists, just one, once, saying that there is a mailing list called ASO Announce, and it's, again, prehistoric mailing list, it's been there for probably 20 years or 25 years. I don't know who created that one.

So somebody very aggressively [inaudible] is behind that mailing list, probably. So that will be restarted, and then if the message will be very clear, "If you would like to join the mailing list, here is the details," and the calendar invite, if you would like to subscribe to that one, so that it will give you all the meeting invites automatically. And then agenda details would be published there as well. So it will be just one e-mail to all the RIRs' policy mailing lists, and nothing further than that. That's it.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

I'd prefer that the RIRs do their own marketing in terms of how they best see to get this message out. I think our request should be what we would like in terms of frequency and the information that would be helpful to give out, i.e. here's our website with all the dates, here's this, here's that. If they want to whatever social media, mailing lists, [policy mailing lists,] etc., let them do

whatever is best for their communities. I think it'll change over time. That's the first part to it.

But I don't like this setting up another mailing list. Mailing lists are a dying breed, and to ask people to now set up a mailing list where they will literally see once every three years or once a year an e-mail is kind of pedantic to me. Let's get the message out through the RIRs, "Here's what's going on," have them publish it once a year rather than sending out, "Please sign up to a mailing list that nobody is going to see."

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

No, so the message is – yes, nobody use that mailing list, it's almost dead. There's no message on that mailing list since 2014. So the idea is to send the details in one e-mail, and at the end of the e-mail that if you need monthly update, you can only get it on that mailing list. And that secretariat will use that mailing list for the monthly updates, nothing further, saying that, "Okay, fine, we have published our meeting minutes, and further updates on the mailing list." You cannot do that on the RIR policy mailing list every month. There will be at least one e-mail from secretariat.

KEVIN BLUMBERG:

Maybe we should just take this to the list instead of spending the time on it here, because we could use RSS feeds, there's a

thousand ways of not [doing up – requiring] the secretariat once a month to send out e-mails reminding people about things that we've already reminded them about.

We're adding a silly workload to push out information when people are more than able to now pull information from websites and from other technologies. But I think maybe my frustration with this is I'm tired of 1000 mailing lists. And I'm happy to discuss this on the mailing list.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI:

Yes, we are shutting down a couple of mailing lists. But anyway, there are there for some reason. I don't know. We need to figure out why, but we are shutting down a few mailing lists, but they are a few mailing lists which exist, and we need to find a way to make sure that we have smooth transition, we can shut it down probably in six months or within a year. Maybe next year, we say, "Okay, fine, nobody is reading that, shut it down." But we have to transition from absolutely no message to anywhere to at least some message to someplace. So that is my idea, but again, it's not part of the procedure, so we have to discuss it anyway. So it was just an idea.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

If we need to shut down the mailing list, we need a good website.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: To quickly update on the website, I spoke to the NRO EC chair and the secretariat, and asked them, almost begged them, “Can you please update our website as well what we have done that we haven't got the updated website?” And NRO gut the website.

So they said, “Well, the budget is there,” but it’s there since last year, so I hope it’s increasing. They have promised me that it will be done this year. I hope.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Just to add something, I agree with Kevin that we are trying to create some discussion. That mailing list might not be a good idea, you'll have to discuss that. But if we are [opening] our main mailing list, we can instruct RIRs to advise RIR community to check their archives of our public archived mailing list so they can see the discussions, but also the agenda and the time for the meetings. Might be a solution.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yeah, good idea. Alan?

ALAN BARRETT: Thank you, Aftab. Your procedure which has just been approved by the NRO EC says meeting details, including the draft agenda,

will be published on the ASO EC website and will be announced prior to the meetings on the relevant RIR mailing lists too. Okay, so you've already said that it must go to the RIR mailing list, and yeah, basically the NRO EC's comment is maybe that's not necessary, you don't have to send [inaudible].

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So that's what we're discussing, that this is a solution here. Okay.

ALAN BARRETT: Yeah, I know. So ...

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: We are going to spam them as it is.

ALAN BARRETT: Right. Okay, so yeah, I guess my request is please find a way to not have to spam the RIR mailing list.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yeah. And that's why this discussion is happening right now. So yeah, we have to take back the whole recommendation as it is, so it is part of the discussion. So it will be discussed. Nurani?

NURANI NIMPUNO:

So, two comments. One is that I thought that I said that on the list as well, that all the response from Alan, they were very reasonable comments. So I support that fully.

And I'm very sorry, but I'm going to be a little bit difficult in relation to – I said before that Doodle was not a great tool for voting. I think it caused some confusion in December, and it certainly caused confusion for me. I can only speak for myself [when I've voted this time.]

So again, I'll repeat, please let's use proper tools so that people know what they're voting on and not, and if they voted or not, and also so people can vote anonymously when you need to be able to vote anonymously.

So I went back and looked at this Doodle, and the only thing that Doodle says is types of meetings, recommendation 15, p41, “ASO AC meeting should be open to the public except for discussions regarding the selection of individuals for ICANN roles.”

This is what it says that we voted. You could say yes, no, abstention to this text. I know that we've discussed more text, but there was also a lot of confusion in that because we had Google documents and some people saw some changes, some people didn't, and there was a very long, quite painful process where we discussed a lot of things back and forth. But if you all go to that Doodle, it only says this paragraph.

So since that's the only thing that the Doodle says, that's the only thing that we've actually voted yes for. We will probably need to take back this recommendation or review it again and do another vote .So can we then, when we discuss this again, please do that so that we get the text, we use a proper voting tool, you can read the full text that you approve or don't approve?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So the text you are reading is the text of the recommendation. It's not the text of what we have recommended.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Sorry, can you say that again?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: So as part of the ASO review recommendation, the text you are reading is just the heading of that one. So I was assuming that we have already discussed that on the Google docs on the mailing list. The Google docs, there was a reservation on the Google doc, so I copied the text, pasted it in an e-mail, sent it to everyone for the final review.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Yes. All I'm saying is that I believe that there was as lot of confusion along the way. Not pointing any fingers on anyone, I'm

just saying that I personally found the process a little bit confusing, because there were a lot of – we discussed it for a long time. I've read the document many times. But if we have a vote and it says “Please vote yes or no on this,” let’s have the full text that we approve, because –

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Okay. The text should be in front of you what you're voting for. That’s fine.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Yeah. Because here, actually, the only paragraph that we voted on –

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: It’s just the heading which is not even written by us.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

NURANI NIMPUNO: Yeah, right, maybe, yeah, that it should be open to the public except for ...

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yes.

NURANI NIMPUNO: So yes.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Well, there are two things. I'm not so sure at this point if ASO AC voted on the operating procedure text or ASO AC voted on the recommendation, because the Doodle text, what it says yes or no, that you have found, is –

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Hold on a second. Sorry, Filiz.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Let me just finish.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Yes.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Says, “Yes, we agree on this recommendation.” But we are suggesting changing the operating procedures, the text, it doesn’t include that technically.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Okay. So just hold it there. Kevin, who else then voted for the change in the operating procedure? May I know this right now? Who else didn't vote on the operating procedure?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible].

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: No, who were under the impression they were not voting for the operating procedure change?

NURANI NIMPUNO: Trying to be constructive, can I just say we'll probably need to discuss this anyway? All I'm saying is for our next vote, can we use a proper tool?

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Absolutely, and we have already agreed on that.

NURANI NIMPUNO: And can we, in that tool, when we vote yes or no, put what we're actually voting for? The full texts so that everyone knows that, yes, I've read this text, this is what I'm approving, or no, I'm not approving this, or whatever.

Trying to be constructive. And my own confusion is maybe my own fault as well, so I'm not saying that that is anyone else's. I'm just saying that the process was confusing and there were lots of different texts and there were also different versions. We had problems with Google docs and some being able to do some things and some others not being able to see it unless you were logged in or had the special invitation.

So let's learn from that, and let's do it better when we discuss this again. Thanks.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: I understand the – it's okay. German, you want to add something?

GERMAN VALDEZ: Yes. I'm good with all the feedback and trying to make it as clear as possible. But at least for me from an external perspective, I don't know if we're seeing something, maybe it's because I have admin in the Doodle, but I can see the text in the Doodle poll. I can show you. I can see the text, maybe because I have admin.

FILIZ YILMAZ: [inaudible].

NURANI NIMPUNO: [inaudible].

GERMAN VALDEZ: Please, let me finish. And also, when I sent the e-mail, in the body of the text of the e-mail I sent to invite people to vote, I included the text and the link to the Doodle poll. And I said the vote is about change of procedures as well. The text said, “please find below the poll to vote on the ASO procedures on election [of EC] chair and appointment of vice chair.”

There are references that help to see that it’s about procedures, not recommendations. The subject of the e-mail also is about procedural changes. The text of the procedures is part of the e-mail, and at least I’m seeing in the Doodle poll the text as well.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Do you see the full text?

GERMAN VALDEZ: Yes.

NURANI NIMPUNO: Right, but then we do seriously have a problem, because all I see is –

GERMAN VALDEZ: No, but it's okay, we can implement a more specific tool for this kind of voting. The feedback as well is useful not to see the previous results. [inaudible] good point.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [Right after this one.]

GERMAN VALDEZ: But yes, I've taken onboard all the feedback and try to make it clearer. But at least I need to state that that information was shown. But other than that, yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

KEVIN BLUMBERG: We're out of time. AI know. So, last point. We know the tool sucks, absolutely have to fix it. I believe we did things the way it has been done, procedures were followed, the vote was taken based on text available. I also believe that once you close a poll, the amount of information you see is not good –

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Is limited.

KEVIN BLUMBERG: Is limited. But let's leave it at that. I think that, absolutely, in the future we need to do this 100% better. No question.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: I agree. But I would like to say let's improve the processes, but happy to discuss it further. Thank you. Accepting motion to adjourn the open meeting.

BRAJESH JAIN: I propose to adjourn the meeting.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: You can say it out loudly.

GERMAN VALDEZ: I second.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: Thank you, Hervé, for the second. Any objections? No abstentions? Meeting adjourned. Thank you so much for your time, everyone. See all the ASO AC members back here at 1:30. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: It's a closed meeting. 3:30. No, don't see me at 1:30.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: 3:15.

AFTAB SIDDIQUI: 3:00.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]