

---

ICANN72 | Virtual Annual General Meeting – RSSAC Meeting  
Monday, October 25, 2021 – 14:30 to 16:00 PDT

OZAN SAHIN: Hello and welcome to the RSSAC meeting. My name is Ozan Sahin and I'm the remote participation manager for this session.

Please note that this session is being recorded and follows the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior.

During this session, questions or comments submitted in the chat will only be read aloud if put in the proper form as noted in the chat. I will read the questions and comments aloud during the time set by the chair or moderator of the session. If you would like to ask your question or make your comment verbally, please raise your hand. When called upon, kindly unmute your microphone and take the floor. Please state your name for the record and speak clearly at a reasonable pace. Mute your microphone when you're done speaking.

This session includes automated real-time transcription. Please note this transcript is not official or authoritative. To view the real-time transcription, click on the closed caption button in the Zoom toolbar. With that, I will hand the floor over to Fred Baker.

FRED BAKER: Okay, Ozan. Would you kindly show me the list of people that I need to call? Thank you. So Cogent, Paul or Bret. DISA, Ryan Stephenson is here.

---

**Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.**

---

KEVIN WRIGHT: Kevin Wright is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. ICANN?

TERRY MANDERSON: Terry Manderson is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. ISC, I'm here. I see Jeff's name in the chat.

JEFF OSBORN: I'm here, Fred. Thanks.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So NASA?

TOM MIGLIN: This is Tom, I'm here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Netnod? RIPE NCC?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Kaveh is here.

---

FRED BAKER:                      Okay. University of Maryland?

KARL REUSS:                      Karl's here.

FRED BAKER:                      USC ISI?

WES HARDAKER:                      Wes is here.

FRED BAKER:                      ARL?

KEN RENARD:                      Ken Renard is here.

FRED BAKER:                      Okay. Verisign?

BRAD VERD:                      Brad is here.

FRED BAKER:                      WIDE?

---

HIRO HOTTA: Hiro is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And Ozan, just verifying, do we have quorum then?

OZAN SAHIN: Hi, Fred. Yes, we do.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So going through the list of liaisons, Kaveh is here. Liman, are you here? Daniel Migault?

DANIEL MIGAULT: Yeah, I'm here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Russ Mundy? James Mitchell and Duane?

DUANE WESSELS: Duane is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay, and we have staff. Great, thank you. Let's go back to the agenda.

BRAD VERD: Looks like we lost Fred. You see the same thing there, Ozan?

---

OZAN SAHIN: Yes, Brad. I don't see Fred in the Zoom room anymore.

BRAD VERD: Just give him an opportunity to connect back in and maybe we've got to dial out to him. I'm not sure.

FRED BAKER: So I'm back. I don't know what happened on the—I guess I lost connectivity for a moment.

BRAD VERD: Welcome back.

FRED BAKER: In any event, Jeff, do you want to talk about the membership committee?

JEFF OSBORN: Yeah. Thanks, Fred. It's actually been a quiet month on the membership committee. The only update we could really say is we're working on an RSSAC Caucus membership plan to show recognition for the member who did what. And that's something we're in process on. We don't have the recommendations yet and we'll be turning them in. If anybody's interested, there's a link to it from last month and we're continuing on that. But it was a pretty quiet month. Back to you, Fred.

---

FRED BAKER: Okay. Ozan, do you want to talk about the vice-chair election?

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Fred. Hello, everyone. The current RSSAC Vice-Chair, Brad Verd, is completing his two-year term by the end of this year, 31<sup>st</sup> of December, 2021. And we will be starting a nomination period for the RSSAC Vice-Chair position this coming Thursday on the 28<sup>th</sup>. It will be a one-month nomination period and it will close on the 29<sup>th</sup> of November. And RSSAC will select its vice-chair in its December 7<sup>th</sup> meeting. If there are any questions, I'm happy to address those. Thank you.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Ozan, you've got a couple of items in section 5.

OZAN SAHIN: Sure. Moving to section 5 which is the RSSAC ICANN72 schedule, this agenda item is really to remind RSSAC members what the RSSAC meetings are in conjunction with ICANN72. So at the moment, we are having this RSSAC monthly meeting which is replacing the RSSAC November meeting. And then, right after this one, there will be a joint session with the ICANN Board starting at 4:30 PM Pacific Time.

And then tomorrow, on day two, there will be an RSSAC Caucus meeting at 10:30 PM Pacific Time. And finally, on Thursday, there will be an RSSAC Work Session which will be a meeting for the RSSAC 47 Version 2 Work Party and this will be at 9:00 AM on Thursday.

---

These are the RSSAC meetings we have this week. But I think the main discussion here is for alignment on the agenda of the joint meeting with the board. RSSAC has agreed to submit its topic for this meeting, the success criteria document and there are two board questions or topics for this session. This is really for alignment prior to this session and I will turn it back to Fred for further discussion on this alignment.

FRED BAKER: Okay. [inaudible] Hearing none, let's go back to the agenda.

OZAN SAHIN: Fred, this is Ozan. I see a hand from Kaveh in the—

FRED BAKER: I'm sorry. Kaveh, go ahead.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yes, thank you very much. So basically, I think it is good to quickly go through what we want, how we want to interact with the board. So for the opening, basically, I would hand over to you, Fred, to start with our discussion with the board which is the success criteria document. And if I remember correctly, our last call, you and Brad would go through that. Basically, a history of the document and readout of the work done and where we are now with the process which is a stable process. This is a stable document, preview and possibly a vote.

---

And then, for the topics from the board, my question to RSSAC is, if we have anything that we want to answer basically as a group, because we never discussed them but the thing is, they are also not directly related to what we do. On the other hand, we might think we want to give an answer or I mean, have a discussion as RSSAC. Of course, individually as an individual operators, we can always contribute but I was thinking for the two questions, if you have anything.

First question is—I mean, the board is asking exactly the same from all the ACs and SOs. This was asked a few hours ago from ALAC for example. And it's basically coming from the work plan and these are the two highlighted items. So mainly, the interaction with the government and the board is asking if RSSAC can, in our collective wisdom, have some suggestion for the board on how to educating, training and communicating, interacting with the government.

And the second one is basically the process for the advice when we provide the advice to the board. There's a reporting system. There is a system called ARR. They give continuous feedback to the admin committee and then that is presented to the RSSAC. But if you think anything can be improved in the process, the board is really interested to have that discussion.

I don't know if—so my question basically is, do we have a position or comments on these two as a group or not?



---

FRED BAKER: Well, I've stated my view and I think everybody knows what it is. Are there any views other than mine? My view is in essence that we're available to government if they want to talk. Let us know and we'll talk with them.

And we have presented to—Brad and I have presented to GAC and we've certainly talked with them in the halls when it's possible to talk with them in the halls.

On the matter of board advice, I don't have any real comments to make about that other than it seems like yes, they come every month or something like that but they often seem to come out of the blue.

KAVEH RANJBAR: This is basically the advice that we sent to the board, Fred. This is about the system that tracks the progress and all of that. So coming out of the blue, can you—I don't know if you're referring to the same thing or not.

FRED BAKER: We have the thing about [inaudible] that we have to respond to and whatever they are. I always kind of have to say okay, so what are those and what response am I expecting in this kind of a thing. And [inaudible].

BRAD VERD: Hey, Fred. We're definitely losing you, Fred. Is it possible to maybe turn your video off if you're having bandwidth issues? Can you turn your video off and restate what you were saying?

FRED BAKER: Sure.

BRAD VERD: I'm only hearing maybe one or two words out of—

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yeah, the same thing here. So in the meantime let me try to clarify what I mean. On the second question, this is basically the advice that we sent to the board. Let's say, RSSAC 37, 38 or any of the other documents. There is a system which tracks the advice, where we are with it and if the board has to take any action or I mean, in what stage is it. Is it at Org waiting for action or is it with us waiting for some clarification, anything like that?

As you know, this is updated I guess every month and it is communicated to us via admin team. Please correct me, Ozan, if I'm interpreting that right. The question is, are we happy with that system and any of the current advice that we have with the board? Is there anything that we think we want to change the status or has a roadblock or something like that? This is my understanding of the question.

BRAD VERD: Kaveh, this is Brad. I interpreted it the same way and my response would be that no, I think the board tracking system is working well. We get the email every month and we respond if things are there or not there, and we haven't seen any problems with that. So I mean, I think

---

status quo, business as usual. That would be my train of thought. I want to make sure that everybody else feels the same way obviously.

I'm only speaking up here because I think Fred might have audio challenges. I'm not sure.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Well, with any luck, I might be back. Basically, I switched my network. Can you guys hear me?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yes, I can hear you, Fred.

BRAD VERD: Yeah, much better, Fred.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Well, I'm glad of that. One of these days I'll figure out what's going on.

So okay, let's go back to the agenda. Do we have anything else that we need to talk about on this topic? I don't think so. Let's go back to the agenda.

Okay, caucus meeting. What do we need to talk about regarding the caucus meeting tomorrow?

---

OZAN SAHIN: Hi, Fred. 5B and C really are reminders for RSSAC members. I don't think, no, there will be substantial discussions on 5B and C. I think if there are no comments, we can jump to agenda item 6.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Are there any other comments? Failing that, Duane, would you like to talk about RSSAC 47 Version 2?

DUANE WESSELS: Sure. So the Work Party has had I guess one more meeting since our last RSSAC meeting and we started to go through some of the topics and scope for that Work Party. We spent a fair amount of time getting into details on some of the things that folks have found during their initial implementations of RSSAC 047 and just fully making progress on the work that needs to be done there.

FRED BAKER: Okay, thank you. Anybody else have any comments on that? Failing that, we'll move on to the reports.

I think my report is fairly short. The RSSAC and the RSOs have been talking about the success criteria document. It is currently stable and giving everybody a last chance to go look at it. We plan on electronic ballot next week. Brad, do you have anything you want to add to that?

BRAD VERD: No, I think you got it all.

---

FRED BAKER: Okay. Kaveh, you want to talk from the board's perspective?

KAVEH RANJBAR: So basically, no news since our last meeting. And we have the board meeting in one hour or so, so looking forward to that.

FRED BAKER: Liman, do you have anything from the CSC? Liman isn't here. Daniel, RZERC?

DANIEL MIGAULT: Not many things to say on RZERC. Maybe one point I'd like to raise is that we've received some feedback and Ozan put in a table the RSO response to question related to RZERC 003. And we do have some common responses on many aspects. So the question to RSSAC now is going to be, do we work on a publication, or an RSSAC publication, or not?

FRED BAKER: Well, what's your recommendation?

DANIEL MIGAULT: I would say we probably have some material to say something and to somehow position the RSOs regarding those recommendations. Basically, to say how they will address that. And that statement is likely

---

to evolve over the few years. But I think my recommendation would be that we provide a sort of statement to where RSOs are regarding this [inaudible].

FRED BAKER: Okay. Can I trouble you to write the first cut of that possible response?

DANIEL MIGAULT: Yeah, sure.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Moving on, you are also the liaison from the IAB. Any comments from them?

DANIEL MIGAULT: No.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Russ, do you have anything from the SSAC?

DUANE WESSELS: I don't think he's here.

FRED BAKER: He's not here, okay. James, do you have anything from the IANA Functions Operator?

---

OZAN SAHIN: Fred, James is not on the call either.

FRED BAKER: I can't win. Okay, Duane, you just spoke a moment ago. Do you have any more?

DUANE WESSELS: Thanks, Fred. Well, I can speak to something that James may have spoken about if he was here which is that the Key Signing Ceremony Number 43 happened and the exchange of signed material has occurred back from IANA to Verisign, so that is done. And I don't have anything else.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Brad, Hiro, Liman isn't here. Brad and Hiro, do you have anything from GWG?

BRAD VERD: No, GWG has been on hold awaiting the success criteria document. I know they're eager to get it started again, so that's all unless Hiro's got something to add.

FRED BAKER: Well, and with any luck, we'll be sending them a document fairly soon. Ozan, we're on to AOB. You want to talk about Work Stream 2?

---

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Fred. I'm happy to talk about Work Stream 2. I just noticed we skipped an agenda item. 4A, the draft minutes from 5<sup>th</sup> of October meeting and this is about item. Would you like to revisit it first and then go back to another business?

FRED BAKER: So yeah, let me take care of that and then go on to AOB. Yeah, for some reason, I skipped over that and that's my error. So we do have minutes from the last meeting and let's discuss that. Does anybody have any comments to make on those minutes? Is anybody going to be voting no? Is anybody going to be abstaining? Failing that, I believe we've accepted the minutes. Ozan, let's go back to the AOB.

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Fred. I will share a document with you. So last week, I sent a note on the RSSAC mailing list that was a call for volunteers note and tried to explain the purpose for the call for volunteers. But during this meeting, thank you for the opportunity to explain further what this call for volunteers is about. It's about the note on the formation of the cross community coordination group and the Work Stream 2 implementation.

This slide was taken from a public webinar that was conducted back in May earlier this year. So I'll briefly introduce what this initiative is about, the RSSAC numbers and take any questions. In 2014, the NTIA announced its intent to transition its IANA functions stewardship to the global stakeholder community and the ICANN formed the IANA



---

Stewardship Transition Coordination Group or ICG to deliver a transition proposal. So this is just a quick background reminder.

And ICANN community raised the topic of the impact of transition on how to hold ICANN accountable and then the Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability was formed. And the work of this working group was divided into two phases. First Work Stream that you see on this slide, it concluded in 2016 and it developed a consensus recommendations on accountability enhancements for the IANA Stewardship Transition.

And then it was also agreed to conduct the Work Stream 2 through which this Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing Accountability would remain in place and develop recommendations for accountability topics for which a timeline for developing solutions and full implementation was not required for the successful IANA transition.

So in November 2018, the Cross Committee Working Group submitted its final report to the board. And going to the next slide, the final report on Work Stream 2 recommendations is divided into eight high-level recommendations that you can see here. And these categorize over a hundred consensus approved recommendations.

The Work Stream 2 recommendations can be divided into three groups. The recommendations that are directed at the Board, at ICANN Org, and the recommendations that are directed at the ICANN community. The ones directed at ICANN committee are—there are again two types.

---

There are recommendations that each individual ICANN SO/AC group needs to consider.

And as RSSAC admin team, I think the group considered these recommendations throughout this summer and took some actions. And there's a pending action and the RSSAC admin team continues to work on those.

And the second group that—the recommendations that are directed at ICANN community, these are the recommendations that may require or benefit from a cross community coordination and prioritization.

ICANN Org suggested that each group complete its initial review of the relevant recommendations around this time. And again, as I said, RSSAC admin team worked on this and still working on it. The second group, the ones that may benefit from a cross community coordination and prioritization, ICANN org requested the community indicate whether it wishes to form a community coordination group and plan the work.

After evaluation, the RSSAC admin team thought this work included checks and balances that the RSSAC said it needed during the RSSAC 37, 38 process and evaluation of the governance of the RSS process and thought it may be helpful if RSSAC members wanted to become a member of this coordination group. The members of the community coordination group will not be defending the views of their original SOs and ACs but still this is the thought of the RSSAC admin committee, that it's beneficial if RSSAC members would join this group.

---

So the call for volunteers is now open. If you have any questions about this work, please reach out to support staff. We'll be happy to answer. And please, let the RSSAC admin team know if you would like to join this community coordination group that's being formed. Thank you, Fred. If there are questions, I'm happy to take them. Otherwise, back to you.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. I don't have any additional questions. Does anybody else? Failing that, I think we're done with the agenda. So the next meeting, the next event is the beginning of December. Yeah, the 7<sup>th</sup> of December. And so with that, unless somebody else has something to bring up.

BRAD VERD:

The only thing I'll add is there's a caucus meeting tomorrow. Hopefully, everybody can make it at—Ozan, do you have the time for tomorrow? Just to remind everybody.

OZAN SAHIN:

Thank you, Brad. The caucus meeting tomorrow is 5:30 PM UTC Time, so everyone is welcome to join.

FRED BAKER:

And then Thursday we have a work session. And I think that's at the same time.

---

OZAN SAHIN: That’s going to be block 1, Fred. So it’s going to be the Thursday session, the RSSAC work session on RSSAC 47 Version 2 Work Party. That’s going to be 4:00 PM UTC Time or 9:00 AM Pacific Time.

FRED BAKER: Okay, cool. So with that, I think I’m going to adjourn. I don’t have any more agenda. So thank you very much for attending. Please feel free to comment in the email. And with that, have a good day.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**