
SINGAPORE – At-Large - Joint ATLAS II OC, Capacity Building WG & Regional Secretariats Meeting
Wednesday, March 26th 2014 – 12:30 to 14:00
ICANN – Singapore, Singapore

UNIDENTIFIED: State your name when speaking in order to identify you on the various language channels, as well as for transcript purposes. Please also speak at a reasonable speed, in order to allow for accurate interpretation. Over to you Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. I'm Siranush Vardanyan for the record, and I will be chairing this session. So, as it was mentioned, we have joint ATLAS II, and capacity building, and regional secretariat meeting all together. And the purpose of this meeting is to come up with an idea of finalizing the capacity building program, and how RALO chairs and RALO leaders will support all ALSs to get ready for ATLAS II.

A lot of work should be done by chairs, leaders of the RALOs to prepare ALSs for the ATLAS II, and make this event a successful one. So, before going to capacity building program stuff, I would like to give the floor to Eduardo Diaz, who will provide the brief introduction and update on ATLAS II, what's going on now and what are the next steps coming up. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. This is Eduardo for the record. Some of you people were here this morning for the ATLAS II first part of meeting. Basically, we had a meeting this morning, and we talk mostly on logistics and room

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

locations for the Fayre of Opportunities, and the thematic sessions. And this afternoon, at 16:00, we're going to have another meeting that is mostly a logistic meeting to talk about public relations and the communication things that are going to happen between now and the London meeting.

Now I understand there will be a parallel track, starting at 15:30, that will be more focused on the content and policy that are going to happen within the summit. Other than that, things are moving along and I hope some of you, that if you are not involved in any of the working groups, I invite you to do so. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Eduardo. And I will give the floor to Tijani to speak about capacity building program, and what are the – who are the speakers of that capacity building program, what are the activities, planned meeting that program. Tijani, over to you. Tijani is uploading the file for showing for all of us, to be posted also for remote participants. It will take a couple of minutes, hopefully. Yeah, Tijani, please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Siranush. Tijani speaking. The capacity building working group prepared for the purpose of the summit, the capacity building program, to prepare the ALSs for the summit. This was decided democratically. That means that we asked the ALSs what are the areas where they feel they need capacity building in. And they responded, we took those subjects that they mentioned, and we tried to build the program for it.



To do so, we tried to find the best trainers, the best people who can speak on those subjects, and we have now a list. I don't know if Susie received my last email? Okay. The same. One moment.

So, we tried to find the right trainers, so we choose the, not one person per subject, we choose more than one per subject so that we find at the end, at least one per topic. And now we have confirmation for all of the topics. The file will be projected on the screen now. And we were supposed to present you today the detailed program with dates, and hours, etc.

But unfortunately, we didn't manage to have all of the trainers. We need to make a call with the trainers before so that we decide with them, according to their availability, what will be the dates and hours that they can come and give the webinar. It will be done by webinars, before the summit. And we will start around 15 of April, and it will close at the end of May.

Why the end of May? Because the two remaining weeks before the summit will be very crowded for the trainees, because they are preparing for their trip, etc. So we may have very poor attendance if we program webinars in June. So, but you have it now on the screen.

So, the ALSs choose seven topics. The first of them was the future of Internet governance. And we tried to find good trainers, so at the end we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond who confirmed, and Nigel, the former Vice President for Europe, who will address this topic. And the second topic will be the policy, including security and stability.



And here we have Avri Doria confirmed, and Julie Hammer confirmed. Julie Hammer will address security and stability, and Avri Doria will address the other policy issues. Item number three, or topic number three, it is policy development process, it's about process. And here we have Olivier who will be one of the trainers, and the second will be a member of the staff, who is Marika Konings.

For the subject number four, which is the rules of procedures, Alan Greenberg, who wrote the rules of procedures, will be the trainer. We put Cheryl as another choice, but she didn't answer our email so we have now Alan, and Alan knows very well about the rules. Topic number five, IPv4/IPv6 migration, and here we have Leo with IANA staff, very well skilled in this area, will be the trainer.

Acronyms, it will not be a course, it will be – they will go to the ICANN Learn because it is already there, and more than that, I ask the ICANN Learn team to prepare more or less, of course, about all of those subjects. And they worked on and they prepared something, they just send me the link. I will check the content, and when it is ready, I will send it to all of the trainees, so that they can have the substance on the platform and also through the webinars.

The last topic will be communication. It seems that our ALSs feel that they have a problem of communication, and I understand that. And for that, we have two persons, also skilled persons, who are Dev, here sitting, and Nathalie, a member of staff, who will address this topic. So those are the seven topics of the capacity building. Those are the confirmed trainers.



We will have a call on the week on the 7th or 8th of April, with the trainers, to define the final program. And the first webinar will be around the 15th of April. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Tijani. Can you tell us...? So I assume there are seven topics. There will be seven different webinars or it will be combined somehow?

TIJANI BEN JEMMA: Thank you Siranush. It will be more than seven webinars. We cannot combine topics, so each topic will have its own webinar or webinars.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So, I assume that after the first webinar with all trainers, you will send the final program and the schedule for each webinar to join.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: After setting up the final program, we will make a Doodle for the trainees, so that they tell us what are the hours that are the more convenient for them. We are doing this program so that people come and participate. It is useless if we do it in a time that most people cannot come. So we will make a Doodle, and I hope we find the best time for the Doodle so that every ALS representative will be present.

And once we know the best time, we will start the webinars, and it will be around 15th of April.



SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Tijani. And just Heidi also said that there will be recording for all of those webinars, so just in case any ALS participant will not be able to come, they can later go and hear the recordings, and to probably, this will be [?] at least for those who will not be able to join, because they should be ready somehow for the ATLAS II. Silvia, please.

SILVIA: Thank you. I will speak in Spanish. [SPANISH]

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Silvia. This is really a very interesting and important issue. And it's a tough issue. I completely agree with you because during our monthly calls, we face that issue that ALSs are not participating and we're trying to encourage them to come and participate, to make their input, but this is a challenge. So any [?] from your side Tijani?

It will be... I assume you have told that all ALSs should be ready for ATLAS, before that. So how we as RALO secretariats, RALO chairs, RALO leadership, can help you to make this better for them, to promote it?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Siranush. This is the objective of this meeting. It is to coordinate with the RALOs chairs, and the RALOs officials. The way they will use to make all of the ALS representatives coming to London, participate and the webinars. And also make them all decide on which thematic group they want to be on.

Because if they don't choose, we will be obliged to choose for them. And I don't imagine someone coming and working in a group that the



subject, or the theme, is not interesting for him. So it is really a problem. That's why it is very important that all representatives of the ALSs choose their thematic group. So two things.

Let's start by the capacity building. All this effort of capacity building, which is very, very expensive, in every day mention, it took us a lot of time to prepare. It took us a lot of energy to find the trainers. Staff are working with us, and they will be working more during the webinars. People, translators, etc. So it will be a huge effort.

And it is a pity that this effort, it is not fruitful. It will not be fruitful if people don't participate in the webinars. That's why we will do the Doodle. I know that there is all the regions, and the time is not the same for all regions. There will be tough situation for some of the participants, but we have to find the consensus. We have to find the right time.

And more than that, we will have all of the webinars recorded, so that even if you miss one of the webinars, you can come back to the recording and listen. How the RALOs may make all the ALSs representatives participate? I think that there is a lot of ways to do. And the first of them would be the [?] conference calls of the RALOs. They have to use them. They have to make sure that all the participants of the London summit will come to those monthly calls.

It is the minimum of commitment, I think. And they have to make sure that they understand and that they feel the importance of the capacity building program. And also, I think they have to email them, they have to use all communication channels so that the ALS representatives all be



aware of the capacity building program, it's time, the program in general.

And they commit to come and to participate. Also, during the webinars, it is good that the chair, or the secretary, or any RALO official participate in the webinar. And witness the participation of the ALSs, so that they can react immediately after and try to go in touch with people who are absent and make them participate in the next webinar, and make them also listen to the one missed webinar.

I know this is a very tough task, but it is very important. If we don't do it, it's better not to do this program. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Tijani. Yes, Silvia.

SILVIA: It's Silvia here. Sorry Tijani. Tijani, I would like to ask you something.
[Spanish]

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: And also considering the timeframe, almost end of April and end of May. So, almost one month and half, maximum. So during that period, seven webinars will be really complicated, and for each of the webinars... Or to have the one Doodle for all to have one time, it may not fit for all the regions.

The history shows that... So any recommendations on that?



TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you. I would like to first address the question of Silvia. We cannot say it is compulsory, it is obligatory. It is not possible because someone cannot come, what will we do? This is a problem. But we have to make them aware that it is very important, very important for them, to make them participate effectively.

So that they don't come to London only to watch. We need their voice heard. We need the interest of their region be addressed. That's why we need them to participate effectively, and efficiently. So, I think we cannot set a minimum or a maximum or, no, we cannot do that like this. I think that all webinars are important, but if suppose you have one of the ALSs, or one of the ALS representatives, has very good knowledge about one of those subjects.

Why do you want him to come to the webinar? He can find it useless, and I cannot blame him. The most important thing is that everyone who is coming to London, will be aware of all of those subjects, and it will be participating in the summit effectively and efficiently.

So you ask another question?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

My question will be Tijani, are you planning to have an outline for each webinar? For each topic? To be presented in advance, not for people to come. They will see the topics of discussion, but that they will see the details and maybe that it will be interesting for them, and we can encourage them to come. So, are you planning to have that outline for topics?



TIJANI BEN JEMAA: There will be a detailed program for the capacity program in general. I will not ask the trainers to prepare an advanced something, because it is short notice for the trainers. It will be tough for them, but there is a very good thing, Siranush. Even if you don't understand something or don't assimilate something during the webinar, you can come back to the recording and listen again.

And if they have questions, they are encouraged to ask any question, even if it is after the webinar.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Tijani. [Baron] please.

FEMALE SPEAKER: This is [Baron] for the record. I just wanted to say that I have to agree with Silvia on this one. I think we have to look at some of the topics and possibly look at key ones that we think are really important that, really the ALSs can go without, and then we find a way of making it – I know mandatory seems a bit of a strong word, but we need to get them prepared.

And in order to do that, we need to get them to these webinars, or else it's going to slow us down when we get to London.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you [Baron]. Fatima?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Thanks Siranush. I will speak in Spanish. [SPANISH]



SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Fatima. I think that all RALOs share the same concerns, that the timeframe is very short, the number of webinars is very high. All of these challenges are ahead of us. Yes Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. We will have at least six weeks, if not seven weeks. If we do two webinars per week, we will have up to 12 or 14 webinars. I know it's too much, so that's why we have only seven. So seven webinars, and one month and a half, I think, it is not very tough. Why we didn't start earlier, it is because will forget what you told them, what you taught them.

We know very well that if it's not fresh, you will forget it. So, this is the philosophy if you want, to do the capacity building sufficiently close to the summit, but not the last weeks, because last weeks will be busy. And to make not more than two webinars per week, and we may – here we will have one webinar per week, more or less.

Perhaps one week we will have two webinars. This is... It is not easy to manage everything, because you have a lot of constancy and you have to manage.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Fatima?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Thanks Siranush. Fatima. [SPANISH]



SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Gisella who is not here, unfortunately, has a way to find the best time for all the regions of the world. I know you cannot have a slot of time which is really convenient for everyone, but the one that is the less disturbing, the less impossible. At first we decided to do it twice. We do it 12 hours a part, twice the same webinar.

But staff told me that it is impossible. So, we will do it only once, but it will be recorded and those who will miss it can go and listen to it. The time will be decided according to the input of all of the participants. And we will try to find the time that is the most convenient for the maximum of participants.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Tijani. Garth?

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Garth Bruen, NARALO chair. We've been very proactive in our region about getting people involved in the summit early. And I've asked all of our, made requests with all of our ALSs to do four things. To keep a list of four things to do. The first one is join a working group. And this is very important. This is how they can be most helpful.

The second one is ask them what issue they want brought to the table at the ICANN meeting. What's most important to them? And when



people think that the conversation is about them, when they really feel involved, they're going to be a little bit more interested in being part of the work.

And they won't think as much that they're being obligated to do something when they feel like they're going to get something out of it. I've also asked that everybody in the region test their access to the confluence wiki for editing, because many people within the region, we found very quickly, have never used it, didn't have login information, and of course, if this is how we're going to expect people to interact, if we want people to put in reports, they have to be able to access it.

So we then recommended a webinar for accessing and editing confluence from staff. And the fourth item is that they find an organization that they think should be recruited for At Large in our region and submit the request to me. And then, what I have, is I have a chart within our agenda, that has everybody's name, and then the four items, and then I have checkboxes for the items that they have completed.

So whenever they look at the meeting agenda, everybody knows what everybody else has or has not done, and this has a certain amount of shame value. And the final most important thing is that I sent this request not to the list, I sent it individually to teach one of our representatives, to speak to them directly. I realize that this takes a little bit more work, but it's very, very important.

If you want something from them, have a direct conversation. Thank you.



SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Garth. And I couldn't agree more. During ATLAS II survey, that was an issue also for people to participate, and also for the... In APRALO, we were getting information about each ALS, asking for them to provide this brief information and a picture of the primary contact of ALS. And we had hard time. And, yes, the individual emails helped a lot, though in some cases, even that approach didn't help.

But anyway, it takes time, but at least it's successful. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Siranush. Dev Anand speaking. Just some observations. So what could happen is that with one part of the communication mechanisms we're using to communicate with the ALSs is the newsletter. But one of the other functions of the newsletter is that the platform targeted letters to be sent.

So, if we have the information, say, all of the persons who expressed an interest in, say, the future of Internet governance, we can target the Doodle to be sent to them directly, and also... What could also happen, I would suggest, is that before the meeting is actually held, could you please send us some of the things you want to discuss?

I'm not asking for essays, but what are the key topic points you want to discuss so that ALSs expectations are met during the conference call. So when you talk about the future of Internet governance, maybe persons aren't interested in TIA, they may be interested in the IGF aspects. Whatever. So that's my suggestion, communicate with the At Large structures before, and because we can target with the newsletter, and



I'm certain that the survey information, with the spreadsheets and all of that, containing the ALSs name, address, it could also be personalized.

So when the newsletter goes out, it says so and so. We just want to get some feedback about the upcoming webinar. Could you please help us find a time? And possibly do a follow up to say, okay, here is the time, can you give us a quick feedback as to what you expect from a conference of this type? After we provide a description of what we want to do, and so we can just put, you know, better communicate with the ALSs before.

Back to something Fatima said, regarding getting the ALSs involved, I mean, I guess this is part of the mentor program that you're working on, so it would be important to, well for the mentors, to communicate with those ALSs that hey, you know, don't forget about this topic. If you have any questions, you can ask them before the webinar and after the webinar.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Dev. I have some kind of, I think the program is really becoming complicated. And if I'm wrong, please correct me or raise your concerns. We have a series of webinars coming before that, we have a lot of stuff to be discussed during ATLAS II, we have parallel going mentorship program, which Fatima is organizing, and those ALSs assume to come there.

We have Fellowship morning sessions where we encourage ALSs to go there. So a lot of things will be going at the same time, and within a very short period. What our expectations... What expectations do we



have out of those meetings? So, do we think that they will learn a lot because they will participate in everything? Or, they will become very tired and we will not have any outcome out of that?

So, we should start to think about also the outcomes of so many programs going on. Tijani, please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Excuse me Glenn.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Glenn, I'm sorry. Glenn, yes, you first. You raised your hand first.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, age before beauty, go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. Siranush, we have to be clear, that's what I said on Sunday. We have to be clear about what we want to do. I think we have a lot of things to do, but everything has its own objective, so we have to keep with this objective. The capacity building program is meant to prepare the ALSs knowledge side for the summit.

The mentor program is meant to help the participants to participate, to participate in the best way. So those are two different things. And we will not duplicate, we will not do the same things twice. The mentor program will help, so people will be there. They will have someone with experience that they can ask, and they can take the advice from him.



So it is not, if you want, capacity building, it's an effort. They have to come, they have to learn, they have to ask questions. This is a real effort. But I think the mentor program is meant to make things easy for the participants. I think it is not as complicated as you imagine. It ensure that it is not what we do everything, but we are going to the summit.

And you want the summit to be successful. So we want all the ALS representatives to be well prepared, and we want them to participate effectively in the summit, in the working group, in the thematic groups, because each thematic group, at the end, issue its statement. And the compilation of all of those statements will constitute the communique of the summit.

So it is very important. This is the heart of the summit. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Tijani.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Glenn for the transcript. A long time ago, Heidi mentioned the idea of a video, and when I think of video, I think of it as a promotional concept selling the sizzle, not the steak, which is, we need a short, uplifting, motivational video, that can sell the concept, very simple. I think we're all doing, the communication group is doing a great job, with what Garth was mentioning, engagement is good.

But you know, there is value in a simple, upbeat message that could be one, two, three minutes. Now Anthony has talked about storytelling.



We don't tell our story very well. We preach. And if you've all... All of us have had parents, and we all know what it's like having parents that preach to you, you usually do something opposite.

So we need to tell the story. And that's what's really missing in our communication strategy.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Glenn, just clarification. For whom we're going to send this message? Who will be the target for this message?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. We've planned this all along, Siranush and I. Yeah, there is poster child that can be in the video, and the message is to the ALSs that are coming, in raising the expectations to a reasonable level. It's the ALSs that are coming to the event, what they will get out of it, how much fun they're going to have, the networking they're going to have.

There are so many features you can put into a short, upbeat video. I think it has a lot of merit. Now the reason I say this, is that we've been doing these videos for something in the United States called a Haunt Industry. 10,000 people go this event that we do the social marketing for, and we do this promotional video and that gets them more excited, it catches their eye, and then they go deeper into curriculum that's over a four day period. There is a whole strategy of engagement.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: There is a good suggestion coming from Heidi, probably, you may.



HEIDI ULLRICH: So this is Heidi. I think that's an excellent idea. We're working together. But if you wanted to have one person, maybe from each RALO, just as a globally representative group, make an one minute film, then I would suggest that be done here, in Singapore, because it's the last time we'll all be together before London.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Do you know anybody that has audio/visual equipment?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, we do have. So it can be planned to be completed here. Because before London, we are not going to meet face to face. So go ahead Glenn. Or we the team. Okay. Communication team can help to do that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Do you need a storyboard? It sits down and just basically coming up with something that's fun, a little bit of graphics in the beginning and end. It's not overly complicated. This is telling the story, like Heidi said. So whoever is interested, and Anthony has said already that he is interested. Yeah. Maybe perhaps, as you've said, one from each region that could be the poster child, so is there anyone else that wants to step up to be in the video that's not camera shy?

Thank you. Somebody from LACRALO?



SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: From LACRALO? Silvia over there. EURALO? Sandra probably.
[CROSSTALK]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sandra is not here, we can assign her. She says yeah, I twisted her arm.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yeah, and myself from APRALO will help, if I can be helpful. So I should say that there is a team here who is already doing interviews for Fellowship program, so those... I have already gave the interview, so they can, you can talk with them together with Heidi to organize the film for London. That's it.

Great. Yes please.

MISSY: Hi. This is Missy for transcription purposes. I wanted to ask the capacity building working group, on how they would handle the questions and answers, for those participants who fail to attend the webinars in real time?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Can you repeat your question please?

MISSY: I wanted to ask the capacity building working group on how they would handle the question and answer segment for those participants who failed to attend the webinars in real time. And they will listen to them



later. You will listen to the webinar, then you find out that you need some clarification on certain areas. How will you handle that?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much. That's what I said before. Even if you listen to the webinar that you missed, and you have questions, you can send an email to me and to the staff. Ah, that's better. We will set up a wiki page on which you put your question, and the presenter will answer your question.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

So I think that we can summarize this part. That after each webinar, expect that the webinar will be recorded, there will also be the wiki space for people to come back with the clarification questions. Okay? We agree on that? Great. Fatima? You put your sign.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO:

Thanks Siranush. This is Fatima. I will speak in Spanish. [SPANISH]

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Yes. I agree with you completely Fatima. And I'm sure that we all are working on volunteer basis, and we want to put maximum efforts to support our ALSs, and I'm not saying that there are too many programs, but it's not good to have too many program. It's good to have that we put a lot of effort to have all those many programs, and the only purpose of that, to make ALSs understand why they are there, and what their plans for future.



So, and here appreciation goes to Eduardo to each and every person in this group, who is dealing with this summit. That's why we are encouraging people to come to help because there is a lot of work to do. And still ahead of us coming up. Thank you Fatima. Anybody who would like to say something? Yes please. Can you introduce yourself?

MALE SPEAKER:

[?] from Nigeria. I just want to confirm, because I learned that the ALSs can only be formed by an organization, so is it possible to contribute as an individual? That is what I want to confirm. Shawn, as a fellow member.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Great Shawn. You are here as an individual member, or you are representing an organization as a fellow? You are as an individual. I would say that a lot of RALOs are open for individual membership, so please talk to AFRALO people, and clarify how you can be involved more, as an individual membership because we love to see Fellows in this team, and welcome always. Aziz? Can I ask you what kind of challenges you have foreseen for this ATLAS II coming, working with ALSs, before ATLAS II?

How you think we can encourage them more to take all of these webinars, to go through all documents. How can we be helpful? Do you have any suggestions and ideas to share with us? Would you like? I want to hear your voice, I miss it.



AZIZ HILALI: Thank you Siranush. I will speak in French. [FRENCH]

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. Yes, you are right. And as Tijani mentioned, they were planning to have for at least the final program for these webinars for this meeting, but even because of some technical issues, it's not ready yet. However, related to thematic groups for ATLAS II, Tijani recently sent a note to us that today, at 15:30, for 60 minutes, in Morrison room, there will be gathering to discuss the thematic topics and discussions, which we are going to have in ATLAS II.

So, they probably, you may come and hear what's going on there, and have your input, what important topics can be discussed. And I think that Tijani may say more on this.

AZIZ HILALI: [FRENCH]

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Aziz. This meeting, this slot of time, was dedicated to the last phase of the Board Director election, in case there was a tie yesterday. Fortunately, we don't have tie, so we don't need this slot. As you remarked, people asked this morning, we wanted to speak about the thematic groups. But unfortunately, it wasn't possible because of things, I don't want to come back to them.

So, we program to speak about them during this slot of time. It will be between 15:30 and 14:50, I think...



SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: 14:30. So room Morrison. It is in the agenda actually, but with another – ATLAS II organizing committee. It's another... So it's after African, AFRALO meeting.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Regarding the program Aziz, you spoke about the program. I understand what you say. It is not about the thematic groups. You are speaking about the agenda, and the agenda is a draft agenda. It is on the wiki, since long, since I don't know, two months or more. It is a draft agenda. It may evolve but in general, it will be this agenda, because we are tied with the rooms, etc. with the logistics. So it will be this agenda.

We didn't publish it officially because it is not the final agenda.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, thank you. Any ideas? Any suggestion? No? I will try to summarize somehow what we have discussed, so maybe we can come to – you can add your suggestion. So we... There are a couple of activities ahead of us, coming up. So the RALO secretariat will be supporting our chair, and capacity building program organizers. And we are going to receive the information, I assume, from Tijani about the webinars, about the Doodle, about the program of this.

And RALOs will have this to disseminate among their ALSs. It can be their private email. It can be via phone calls. It can be via our mailing list. So we should found out the ways how we can reach them, the best



to make this available, the information available for them. And introduce them, that this information is useful for them.

It's actually for them to be ready for ATLAS II. We have decided that all of those wiki, all of those webinars also will be recorded, and we will have wiki space to comment after that webinar. So those who had no chance to participate can come later and hear, and then comment if something is not clear for them.

We decided also to have the video organized here. So probably, Glenn, you will be coordinating the whole staff together with Heidi, at least we need your expertise in that. We will have that video to be shown there. Anything else? Yes [Baron]?

FEMALE SPEAKER:

This is [Baron] for the record. I just wanted to ask, what are the timeframes that we're looking at? The deadlines regarding getting all of this information to our ALSs?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Actually, as Tijani mentioned, this is Siranush for the record. We will announce our plan to start from April 15th to the end of May. So it is assumed that we will be getting information from Tijani before that. Yes, please.

FEMALE SPEAKER:

Two questions. Look at the ICANN Learn website, and I notice that it was last updated in October 2012. To me which was surprising, unless there is another site?



SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Which website please?

FEMALE SPEAKER: The ICANN Learn.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: ICANN Learn.

FEMALE SPEAKER: Yes. So does it mean nothing has changed since that time?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, of course. Cheryl, you are right on time.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. During the experience of the Academy, [?], that was an observation that was made. And indeed, most importantly it was an action, thank you, an action item that is on people's agenda to update. The tool is excellent, but there are hugely old and un-updated, as you've noted, pages.

And we also have an issue of the links which, in principle, may go somewhere useful, but now in fact don't. So it is on the agenda of the outreach and education and communications team, to fix that up and to work hand in glove with whatever program comes out for Academy work sort of ICANN wide.



So, it's static at the moment because there is so much else going on. It's not necessarily to be seen as a bad thing that it still exists though, because it is an useful tool. So I think you'll just have to, a little indulgence, I think, is what I should ask for on this. I was scathing on my review of it, believe me, because it's not, as you said... It's almost user friendly enough. The principle of it is fine. It's a Moodle, so you know, we all know how good that is.

But what it isn't doing is no one has responsibility of the upkeep and of maintaining it. They set it up a little bit like the American baseball movie, you know, "Build it and they will come." So consequently there was a system that anyone who wanted to put up their own set of learnings could do so.

They thought the community would have all of the spare time to do this. Well that's clearly not worked. It hasn't been maintained, and I believe, post-new ICANN website, it may be time to start improving that tool. So, that's a set of reasons, not an excuse, for it being so out of date. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Cheryl. Yes?

FEMALE SPEAKER: Thank you Cheryl for the update, because I was a bit hesitant to start working on something that has been, that was last updated in October 2012, considering that we are at the helm as ICANN, as the Internet governing body.



CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl again. Fear not, some of what is in this, some of the learnings that are there, perfectly viable and very valid to do, because they are historical context. So there is no downside in doing some of the learnings. I have done every single one of them, and some of them are absolutely useless and a waste of time, and feel free to put comments about that as well because it is important to get user feedback, or we can't argue for the resources to change it and update it.

But you'll learn very, very quickly which ones are worthwhile, but some of them, indeed, are... Sorry to overtake your meeting, but I couldn't help myself.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: No, thank you Cheryl for clarifications. And thank you Missy for bringing this up. You see now how it is important to have this fresh new look at all of the stuff we're doing. So thank you for bringing this up. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. I would like to thank you all to come and to participate in this session. I would like to remind everyone that first, all the meetings of the organizing committee of the summit, and the subgroups of the summit, are open to everyone. So please come and participate. If you have anything to add, if you want to participate, if you want to contribute, please come to those meetings.

You'll receive, every week, the agenda of all of the meetings of the week. So you are aware of the day and the time of the meeting of each



subgroup, and of the organizing committee. That's why we are mistaken, we don't do the good things, but we try. Please try with us. Please come with us. We try to do, we are working, so please come and work with us.

If we don't do things right, come and tell us, and we will do it as you want, but you have to come. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Tijani. I think you have the support of RALO leadership or RALO team here, who is going to do whatever is possible to work this properly, work this effectively. And also, as just a suggestion, as you mentioned, that different programs have different goals and messages to go. It would be really great if each and every message which we are planning to send to ALSs, will be clearly stated the objectives of that program.

Audio 2

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: No? I just would like to say that we are a little bit early to finish this, but, yes, please.

PHILIP JOHNSON: This is Philip Johnson for the record. I have noticed that talking about update from what [?] suggested, on the ALS listing, sometimes there is a need for updating. We sometimes contact our secretariat, some of the



ALS, and we have no response from them. We even created a spotlight, and most of the ALS are not even come with the spotlight, what they are doing within the ALSs, what are their menu addresses.

And we have these [bonds] but you call them, and you cannot get them through. So I don't know what are the capacity building, Tijani's group has in its program, to have a survey so we can get the current addresses and contact of these ALSs. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Contact... To keep that contact information updated, it's really very tough, tough activity. We just recently, APRALO, passed through this, so I know how quickly they change, used to change their email addresses and contact numbers, etc. So yes Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I was talking to Ted Moody, director of ISOC, yesterday and he's going to be looking at some capacity building stuff for the ISOC chapters. So if anybody that's an ISOC chapter here, he will be, when you're coordinating your travel, to make sure they all pay for the hotel prior to the ATLAS II. So I just wanted to drop that piece of information so they will cover the hotel, if you are getting there early, before the ATLAS II.

Heidi, you're rolling your eyes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That has not been confirmed yet. We're sort of working on that...



GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, I'm just saying Ted's budget will take care of that. He just asked me to mention that.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Good point, but we will bring it to the table when it will be confirmed. Thank you very much. So, thank you very much for your participation. If there are no other questions, we'll conclude this session, and looking forward to see you in the next one. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]

