Re: Contact handles disappearing mysteriously from the whois database! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:40:55 +0100 (BST)
From: Patrick Evans <pre@pre.org>
To: NANOG
Subject: Re: Contact handles disappearing mysteriously from the whois     database!

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, melinda b. thompson wrote:

> At 12:56 PM -0700 4/25/99, John M. Brown wrote:
> >One out of four or five domains that we submit are NOT being
> >returned with tracking numbers AT ALL...... They get lost...
> >
> funny you should mention that...regged two domains yesterday...and had to
> go bad and do it again on both of them...evidently the first time didn't go
> through.  even waited a couple HOURS for the automail...

Received this from our account manager at the weekend...

> In accordance with Network Solutions agreement with the Department of
> Commerce, we are planning on making some system enhancements that will
> begin Friday evening (at approximately 10:00 p.m. EST, April 23, 1999) and
> should be completed by early afternoon on Saturday (April 24, 1999).
> There will be no impact to registrations that are submitted via email
> templates.  There may be a minor slow-down in automated replies to the
> template submissions, however, all templates will be processed.  Please do
> not re-submit any templates for domain registrations or modifications.  As
> with the changes that were made between the evening of April 2 and the
> morning of April 3, you should not experience any operational
> interruptions.

The fun didn't stop there though. I sent off some 750 modifications
late saturday night, and received confirmations that they'd been
processed within an hour or so of each one being sent. Contact
handles were updated, and so on.
Come Monday morning, when I log in at work, I find another 1500 emails
for the new contact - the templates had each been processed two more
times, and because the contacts had changed the new contacts were
being asked for acks. Spamtastic.

Hmm, how does it go?

> yep, gotta love that NSI :D

Ah yes, that was the one. They give out nice stress-balls though.

--
Patrick Evans - Sysadmin, caffeine addict and beat poet
pre at pre dot org                      www.pre.org/pre