NSI monpoly position

Could someone from ICANN please respond to NSI's stated position as the
sole owner of .com, .org, and .net DNS information?

As reported at
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2213166,00.html, NSI
spokesman Chris Clough stated,

"All of the data under the original cooperative agreement comes
under our auspices. All customer data is our intellectual property."

NSI has since restricted all access to the formerly open and public root
server zone files. This effectively makes the .com, .org, and .net
the exclusive property of NSI.

I do not believe this action is allowed under NSI's contract with NSF nor
does it further or promotoe the interests of the Internet community.

I invite comment from ICANN as to your position on issue.

James Ewing