Changing Hyperlinks to WHOIS (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:05:28 -0500
From: Russ Haynal <russ@navigators.com>
To: NANOG
Subject: Changing Hyperlinks to WHOIS

Well, I am spending some time correcting the "WHOIS links" in my online web
pages which I will using for an Internet Seminar tomorrow.

original:                  http://rs.internic.net/cgi-bin/whois
Now resolves as:  http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois

Which unfortunately gives a nicely written web page (javascript and all)
stating that my "client does not have permission to access the requested item"

Look how similar (yet deliberately different?) the reflected address is
from the "new and improved location"

Resolved location:   http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois
location that works: http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois

How hard would it have been to keep the SAME DIRECTORY STRUCTURE in the
"new and improved site", so that existing WHOIS hyperlinks would still work?

And if you think this is just me griping about my own web page maintenance,
A quick search at http://www.altavista.com/  shows that there are over
10,000 web pages which link to http://rs.internic.net/cgi-bin/whois

Just enter:  link:rs.internic.net/cgi-bin/whois   into altavista and see
for yourself.

Of course this does not include all the thousands of bookmark entries that
are also now broken.

Russ