[Comment-Aso] RE: Letter from ETSI to ICANN Board re ASO

It is difficult to perceive any sound reasons for excluding organisations
such as the ITU or ETSI from the ASO structure.

The ITU through its numbering activities is responsible for policy for
administration of the largest realtime switched numerically addressed
network in the world and has some expertise in these matters.

The statements given in the RIR's response to the ETSI letter state that
more than hundreds of thousands of organisations would become eligible, if
the ITU and ETSI were to be admitted. These statements were not
substantiated and have yet to be justified. Even if the there are more
organisations there cannot be that many with a skill base in global
numerical network addressing. The ASO would benefit from a wider
representation given that the RIR proposal only contains experts in regional
numerical addressing.

It would be unfortunate if the ASO followed the historical approach
comprising only RIRs as constituencies and consequently limited the rate of
development of convergent technologies.

Regards

John C Lewis
Manager - International Organisations Europe
BT delegate ETNO Executive Board
BT delegate EURODATA Foundation Board
Tel: +44 (0) 1442 295258 Mob: +44 (0) 802 218271