[Comment-Dnso] Re: ISP Constituency DNSO

You are certainly allowed to make public comments, and indeed you are doing
so now.  Thank you!  We will post them for you.  We hope you will send a
representative to the meeting in Berlin, as well.

Esther Dyson

At 02:38 PM 06/05/99 +0200, Manuel Hurtado wrote:
>Dear Directors nad Staff of ICANN,
>
>ASIMELEC is very sad to see that some ISP organizations, without further
consultation, are trying to capture the ISP Constituency of the DNSO.

>ASIMELEC is a trade organisation that represents ISPīs that cover over 85%
of Internet traffic in Spain, (85% of over 2,000,000 users). Nevertheless,
we have not been consulted on the formation of the ISP Constituency, nor
have been allowed to make public comments, nor to enter the group of funding
organisation of the DNSO ISP Constituency, as not documents have been made
public before this time. Please see the comments below to the proposed ISP
Constituency.

>*The ISP proposal that has been presented has been secretly prepared by the
organisations that have signed it, without solicitation of public comments,
nor allowing any other organisation to join in.

>*They reserve the right to accept other organisations, on their own judgement.
>
>*The rules for acceoting individual ISPīs are unclear, (because of
language), but we are afraid that they exclude small ISPīs. The "founding
members" are the only judges of what is acceptable.

>*The "founding members" give themselves three months to accept candidates.
This allows them time to hold elections to Names Council representatives
before they have to accept anybody.

>*Their Chapter says that Associations will represent.................,
making it very unclear who might become a NC representative.

>*We believe that this candidacy is not prepared to be accepted by ICANN as
it is, and -as there is no time to present new ones-  no candidacy for ISPīs
should be accepted by ICANN at this meeting, as there is not enough time to
carry on an open and trasparent process  to create a chapter and a fair ISP
Constituency. We prefer to have to have no ISP industry representation at
this time, if this means assuring fair representation in the future.

>Manuel Hurtado
>President
>ISP Commission
>ASIMELEC-www.asimelec.es

><HTML><HEAD>
><META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
http-equiv=Content-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
><META content="MSHTML 5.00.2014.210" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#b8b8b8>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Dear Directors nad Staff of ICANN,</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>ASIMELEC is very sad to see that some ISP organizations,
>without further consultation, are trying to capture the ISP Constituency of
the
>DNSO.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>ASIMELEC is a trade organisation that represents ISPīs that
>cover over 85% of Internet traffic in Spain, (85% of over 2,000,000 users).
>Nevertheless, we have not been consulted on the formation of the ISP
>Constituency, nor have been allowed to make public comments, nor to enter the
>group of funding organisation of the DNSO ISP Constituency, as not documents
>have been made public before this time. Please see the comments below to the
>proposed ISP Constituency.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>*The ISP proposal that has been presented has been secretly
>prepared by the organisations that have signed it, without solicitation of
>public comments, nor allowing any other organisation to join in.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>*They reserve the right to accept other organisations, on
>their own judgement.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>*The rules for acceoting individual ISPīs are unclear,
>(because of language), but we are afraid that they exclude small ISPīs. The
>"founding members" are the only judges of what is acceptable.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>*The "founding members" give themselves three months to
accept
>candidates. This allows them time to hold elections to Names Council
>representatives before they have to accept anybody.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>*Their Chapter says that Associations will
>represent................., making it very unclear who might become a NC
>representative.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>*We believe that this candidacy is not prepared to be
accepted
>by ICANN as it is, and -as there is no time to present new ones-&nbsp; no
>candidacy for ISPīs should be accepted by ICANN at this meeting, as there
is not
>enough time to carry on an open and trasparent process&nbsp; to create a
chapter
>and a fair ISP Constituency. We prefer to have to have no ISP industry
>representation at this time, if this means assuring fair representation in the
>future.</FONT></DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>Manuel Hurtado</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>President</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=2>ISP Commission</FONT></DIV>
> [...]

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
PC Forum: March 2000, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"