[Comment-Dnso] Love: Cmte on Commerce statement (fwd

Date sent:      	Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:39:37 -0300
Send reply to:  	Universal Access Canada / Canadain Coalition for Public
             	Information <UA-C@CCEN.UCCB.NS.CA>
From:           	Michael Gurstein <mgurst@CCEN.UCCB.NS.CA>
Subject:        	[UA-CPI] cr> Consumer Project on Technology's ICANN testimony
             	(fwd)
To:             	UA-C@CCEN.UCCB.NS.CA

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:44:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Cyber Rights <cyber-rights@cpsr.org>
To: cyber-rights@cpsr.org
Subject: cr> Consumer Project on Technology's ICANN testimony

Statement of James Love
                            Director
                 Consumer Project on Technology

                           Before the

                      Committee on Commerce
                  U.S. House of Representatives

                               on

                  ICANN and Internet Governance

                          July 22, 1999

     My name is James Love.  I am the Director of the Consumer
Project on Technology (CPT), an organization created by Ralph
Nader in 1995.  I am involved in a number of issues related to
electronic commerce, intellectual property rights, software,
computers, telecommunications, and the Internet.  The CPT web
page is http://www.cptech.org.  CPT is a non-profit organization.
We have no financial relations with any company or non-profit
entities that are involved in domain registration.

     I am here today to discuss proposals for the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), as well as
our concerns about the role of Network Solutions, Inc. (NSI) in
the management of internet domains.

     On June 11, 1999, Ralph Nader and I wrote to Esther Dyson,
the Chair of ICANN, asking a series of questions about its
mission, the degree to which ICANN could or would use its control
over IP addresses or domain names to set policy on trademarks or
other (unrelated) issues, the source and scope of authority to
levy fees on the use of internet domains, what those funds can be
used for, and the role of the interim board in making substantive
policy decisions.  Ms Dyson wrote back on June 15, 1999, in a
letter that began with a rather lengthy "scene-setting"
discussion about the efforts of NSI to protect its monopoly, and
then offered often incomplete answers to the questions we raised.
We have subsequently engaged in a number of discussions with
persons representing ICANN, NSI and other persons who are
interested in issues relating to the management of domain name
registrations and other Internet governance issues.

     There is a sense among some that the controversy over ICANN
is about NSI and NSI's attempts to retain its monopoly over the
.com, .org, .net and .edu domains.  For certain interests, this
is indeed the key issue.  However, our concerns over ICANN are
much broader, and go to more basic questions of how key internet
resources are managed and controlled.  Before discussing ICANN,
however, I would like to make a few comments about NSI, to make
it clear that our concerns about ICANN should not be misread as a
defense of the NSI monopoly.

     In our view, NSI is a government contractor performing a
service for owners of particular domains.  We do not believe that
it is appropriate for NSI to assert ownership or control over the
.com, .net, .org or .edu top level domains.  Nor do we think it
appropriate for any top level domains to be "owned" by a private
firm.  The prices for domain registration are excessive.  We are
alarmed that NSI is making claims that it "owns" certain
databases that are essential for the operation of the network.
We are concerned that NSI is using the profits from its current
monopoly to lobby the government to extend its monopoly.  We are
concerned about these and many other issues, and we want the NSI
contract for .com, .net, .org and .edu to be subject to periodic
competitive bids.

     That said, we remain very interested in the fundamental
issues about ICANN itself.  What is ICANN?   Who will control the
board of directors?  What will be the legally binding limits of
ICANN's power?  What recourse do people have if they are unhappy
with ICANN's actions or policies?

     As I have said elsewhere, we don't view ICANN as a
substitute for NSI, but rather as a potential substitute for the
Department of Commerce, or more generally, as a substitute for
governments.  ICANN is poised to control key internet resources,
and to impose private forms of taxation and regulation on the
Internet.  However, it will not be accountable in the same ways
that governments are.  Some persons perceive this as a positive
feature, while others view the lack of accountability as a
serious problem.

     The July 1, 1999 Presidential Directive on Electronic
Commerce directed the Secretary of Commerce:

     to support efforts to make the governance of the domain
     name system private and competitive and to create a
     contractually based self-regulatory regime that deals
     with potential conflicts between domain name usage and
     trademark laws on a global basis.

     For many persons, this Directive, and the subsequent
Commerce Department's Statement of Policy on the Management of
Internet Names and Addresses (the "White Paper"), were highly
technical matters that did not appear to have broader practical
significance.  However, as the ICANN proposal has become better
understood, there are concerns about the scope of issues that may
be addressed by ICANN, the many limitations and problems of the
"self-regulatory" and governance structures that are based upon
private contracts, and the uncertainly over how ICANN itself will
be governed.

     What exactly is ICANN, and why does anyone who is not in the
domain registration business care?  ICANN seeks to control
Internet domains, IP numbers and root servers that are essential
for anyone who wants to be connected to the Internet.  David Post
refers to this as "life-or-death power" over the Internet.  The
Australian competition authorities referred to it has the "God
power" for the Internet.

     What exactly will ICANN do with this power?  In her June 15,