CIGREF comments on DNSO applications

Dear members of the Board,

The present message is posted on behalf of the French CIGREF (Club
Informatique des Grandes Entreprises Francaises), as a formal comment
to the DNSO applications proposals  and further suggestions.

We first provide a brief presentation of CIGREF hereafter (I.-), and
CIGREF's comments themselves (II.-).

I. - Presentation of CIGREF

The CIGREF is an association which members are 86 large French
companies representing 2/3 of the total turnover of 100 leading
organisations in France with an expenditure of 100 billion FF in the
domain of IT, and representing 90 000 Information System
professionals. Except for IT suppliers, which may not be members of
the association CIGREF Members comprise the full spectrum of sectors
interested in the IT field.

The CIGREF has a long standing involvement in the Internet related
topics, it is a member of AFNIC's board (registry of the .fr ccTLD)
and has been deeply involved for many years in management of limited
ressources such as Internet addresses, phone numbers and frequencies.

These comments are part of the formal comments submitted by CIGREF,
which consist of comments on :

- Icann membership,
- DNSO applications,
- Registrar accreditation guidelines and shared registration system.

The full document of these issues can be found at :

    http://www.cigref.fr/cigref/cigref.nsf/$$pages/HomePublicGB

II. - CIGREF comments on DNSO applications

1. DNSO shall not be a separate entity from Icann, but recognized as
a panel of Icann, acting as an advisory body for the Board.

2. We support the application to become DNSO from ISOC, CORE, POC,
INTA, WITSA and other organizations ; but we also ask for an advisory
committee called the Business and Industry Advisory Committee (BIAC)
reporting to the Names Council to be set up, in order to review the
business impact of proposed recommendations, as the GAC reporting to
the Icann board will do for reviewing the political impact of these
decisions.

3. Icann members can register as DNSO members

4. The Names council is elected by DNSO members through
constituencies.

5. To ensure stability in operations and working groups, the Names
Council membership shall be renewed by one third every year.

6. The Names Council is entitled to submit proposals directly to
Icann board without seeking prior approval from SO members

7. SO members are entitled to submit a Request for Proposal to Names
Council.

8. Membership within each constituency shall be discussed before
implementation of the DNSO.

9. The role of the Fair Hearing Panel should be clarified.

Best regards,

Raoul FUENTES - mailto:rfuentes@iteanu.com
          ITEANU & Associes - Law Firm
       166, rue Fbg St-Honore 75008 PARIS