the lingering stench of "Disagreeing to Agree"

re Disagreeing to Agree, 10/4/99 Tele.com, p. 118, by Sarah Parkes

"No, we are not trying to extend [the definition of 'cybersquatting'
beyond known trademark violation]; we are trying to figure out exactly
what it means... Among other things, we are trying to define
"legitimate"" ...  "Existing laws and regulations vary and are unclear,
which is why a more precise definition is needed. We will implement
decisions through contracts with registrars, who will agree to abide by
the policy. We are not making laws - or breaking them!"
.......... Esther Dyson, Interim Chair, ICANN, Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:31:16
-0400, email to me

"Our charter is essentially technical and limited to a very focused
area."
......... Esther Dyson, Interim Chair, ICANN, October 4, 1999 quote in
Tele.com

--
Judith Oppenheimer, 1 800 The Expert, 212 684-7210
mailto:joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com