Re: More whois fun. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 11:23:10 -0700
From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: list@inet-access.net
Subject: Re: More whois fun.

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 01:51:31PM -0400, Golan Klinger wrote:
> 	Done a whois lately? NSI/Internic have added this to the end of
> the record:
>
> "You agree that you will not reproduce, sell, transfer, or
>  modify any of the data presented in response to your search request, or
>  use of any such data for commercial purpose, without the prior
>  express written permission of Network Solutions."
>
> 	This just gets funnier and funnier.

Here's an interesting twist.  Marty Schwimmer, a very sharp
intellectual property lawyer and all-around good guy, sent a
statement of non-agreement to Don Telage.  I modified it slightly,
and sent a copy too.  I'm not sure, but I think there might well be
some legal significance to such a letter.  Can't hurt.  Here's the
letter.

To Network Solutions Inc.

Attn: Don Telage, Esq. <dont@netsol.com>

Re:  Whois usage rules

I do not agree to the terms reproduced below.  I do not acknowledge Network
Solutions' ownership of the data contained in the whois database.

Kent Crispin
kent@songbird.com

cc:  Becky Burr <bburr@ntia.doc.gov>