RE: [IFWP] Joe Sims' confession

Michael,

The two cuts you provide are not recent news, and have been discussed at
length since the events, more than six months ago. But since you bring the
subject up again, let me point out that the two cuts refer to two different
facts: the initial contacts to all possible candidates, and the final call
to the chosen nine.
I thought that this was clear from the context, but since I may be wrong,
let me point out that, to my understanding, Joe Sims confessed to have
called the 9 to-be interim Directors (selected by Jon Postel) to tell them
they were the chosen ones. As you note, he already admitted "his own
culpability" for this tremendous sin.

Mr. Pickering's question was a different one, though.
He was interested in who contacted *all the potential candidates* (following
"advice from a wide range of individuals and groups ..."), and on how the
selection process was done.
And to this, Mr. Sims answered explaining the process and saying that he did
not know who did the first contacts for each of the contacted persons. BTW,
the number of people contacted has been said to be "fairly large". From what
I can deduct from the rumors floating around in those days, this number was
probably higher than 50, and it is perfectly reasonable that Joe Sims did
not know by heart who contacted whom (also because it was not something that
could be qualified as "top importance matter"). In fact, I had the
impression from the transcriptions that this answer sounded reasonable to
Chairman Pickering as well, but maybe you are aware of something I don't
know.

Of course, at that time nobody could imagine that, six months later, ....
;>)

Regards
Roberto