Re: Names Council teleconference on PC-Radio

At 10:31 PM 6/16/99 -0400, Michael Sondow wrote:
>Today's (June 16) PC-Radio "internet NewsRadio" featured a report on
>last Friday's DNSO Names Council teleconference, with a snip from
>the ICIIU's tape recording of it. It's worth a listen.
>
>http://www.pc-radio.com  click on "internet NewsRadio" (or on the
>small red letters beneath for the archive)

Thank you Michael. Below is the relevant background information.

This url works today, but won't be relevant tomorrow.
http://stream.internet.com/Content/newscast.ram

I suspect this is the right url:
http://stream.internet.com/Content/inr19990616.ram

>From the ICANN bylaws:

>Section 3:  THE CONSTITUENCIES
>
>(a)  Each Constituency shall self-organize, and shall determine its own criteria for
>participation, except that no individual or entity shall be excluded from participation in a
>Constituency merely because of participation in another Constituency, and constituencies
>shall operate to the maximum extent feasible in an open and transparent manner and
>consistent with procedures designed to ensure fairness.  The Board shall recognize a
>Constituency (including the initial Constituencies described in (b) below) by a majority vote,
>whereby the Constituency shall be deemed to exist for purposes of these Bylaws.

If the gTLD constituency is (in theory) allowed to self organize, I simply
do not understand why ICANN can dictate who is or who is not a member.