Sniping from the Americans for Tax Reform

from the Americans for Tax Reform to House Commerce committee members,
protesting ICANN's idea of a not-to-exceed $1/year/domain name fee as
"taxation without representation."  I have asked ATF for
clarification/explanation, for based on my understanding of the facts, I
must politely state that their head seems to be screwed on backwards.

Here's how I understand things:

1. Network Solutions Inc. (NSI) operates as exclusive registrar into .com,
.net, and .org, by virtue of a government-granted monopoly.

2. NSI charges $70 for two years for registering a domain name.

3. NSI had net income in 1998 of $11.2 million, on revenues of $93.6
million, for having registered a cumulative total of 3.4 million
registrations.  Stated differently, they *clear* over $3/domain name/year.

4. The Americans for Tax Reform don't characterize NSI's fees and profits as
a tax.  They describe NSI as a "successful technology company" that is
threatened by big, bad ICANN.

5. ICANN is trying to open up registry and registrar services to competition
and, ultimately, will likely increase the number of top-level domains.

6. To do things such as hold public meetings in all corners of the world
(i.e. gathering input into their decision-making processes), ICANN incurs
operating expenses.  It has floated the idea of instituting an annual fee,
not to exceed $1/domain name, to cover expenses.

7. The Americans for Tax Reform have a bee up their bonnet that this
represents taxation without representation and is encouraging one and all to
write their Congresscritters.

Am I the only one who thinks that ATR has its wrong?

I would like to express my appreciation to the ICANN Board and Staff for
keeping a steady (albeit frustratingly slow) course towards realizing the
goals of the White Paper.

Pete
Peter J. Farmer -- Director, Optical Communications
Strategies Unlimited <http://www.strategies-u.com>
Mountain View, CA
+1 650 941-3438 (voice)
+1 650 464-1243 (mobile & voice mail)