Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 11:34:23 -0700
From: brian moore <bem@cmc.net>
To: list@inet-access.net
Subject: Re: Registering domains without Network Solutions

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 04:07:31PM -0700, Vincent Power wrote:

> > Virtually unreadable in Lynx, and devoid of useful information in any
> > other browser. Next?
> >

> I use register.com, but
>
> <cut>
>
> Register.com - Domain Name Registration Services
>
>                               Browser Problem
>
>    I'm sorry, but this site is not viewable with Lynx. Thank you for your
>    understanding."
>
> </cut>

And for that reason and their extreme cluelessness (a customer signed up
with them and they refused to remove the register.com contact from
technical contact when the customer requested it -- "But we're always
technnical contact" -- even when they weren't providing DNS anymore),
I won't use them.

(Amusingly enough, the tech contact was changed by nicely asking Network
Solutions and explaining that register.com was being stupid.  NSI went
up 30 points in my book for 'good customer service'.  This was a domain
registered when register.com was just a fancy frontend for NSI's
registration stuff.)

Their 'official' reason for the above message is that "Lynx doesn't
support secure transanctions".  Guess they've never bothered reading the
Lynx docs that explain how to install SSLeay.  They had no reason for
why they made their entire site inaccessable to Lynx.  Though this does
work if you really want to see it:

    lynx -useragent="register.com sucks" www.register.com

It also leaves fun things for them to see in their web logs. :)

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach