Dot Com Directory - Some Comments. NSI Please Read!

Network Solutions (so-called Internic) is set to open the Dot Com Directory
soon. It's basically a directory derived from their so-called customers.

Personally I think such a directory will at first have some value and make life
easier in regards to finding people and companies, but here are my concerns:

1. It's being created from information that was intended for administrative and
technical purposes to maintain domain names. It was never intended for
marketing. In fact NSI makes it quite difficult for others to use that some
information and thus their copyright warnings (which hold water about as good
as a sieve). And yet NSI think it's ok for them to use it for marketing.

2. Many people expect such information to remain private or at least somewhat
difficult to get in masse.

3. People were never warned that such information would be sold or marketed.
Furthermore a fair amount of the information contained in NSI's database was
derived before NSI existed. The 1974 Privacy Act among others could come into
play for persons who registered domains before aprox 1992 and possibly later.

4. Of concern to NSI should be the database's value will most likely drop like
a rock as people realize what's up and change/erase their information. Already
I've noticed many contact records recently modified with phone numbers removed
and addresses changed. People already are taking action to protect their
privacy. This hurts the value of the database and there's little NSI can do to
stop it. All the fake information in the database doesn't help matters either.

5. Who will use it? Since the database contains primarily administrative and
technical information, how will the average person be able to use it? I mean
calling amazon.com's technical contact isn't going to help a customer resolve a
problem or buy a book...right?  So even if the information is accurate, it's
not really the information people seek. When doing business, I want to speak to
the president, owner, etc not their technical guy nor their billing department.

I'd appreciate comments...

Ron Bennett

p.s. NSI would do much better to bundle or somehow market webhosting
services, etc that will help business...big market, high margins, and much less
controversal than this. NSI's bizcard, email services, etc are a good move and
this is where money can really be made...not selling their database which will
take in very little money relatively speaking and hurt NSI's image in the
longrun.