Re: [IFWP] The ICANN Ruckus

At 10:05 AM 8/19/99 , A Gehring wrote:
>Jay.
>
>You speak to the very heart of my concerns about the creation of our new
>ICANN.

Hi Arnold,

Throughout this debate over Internet Governance,
there has consistently been two very different and
distinct perspectives.

One looked at the transition of authority from IANA
to ICANN as a purely technical matter, one that should
remain under the control of a technocracy.
  - So what if civil liberties were not protected?
  - So what if due process was ignored?
  - So what if ICANN was captured?
As long as the technocracy got to decide policy issues
on behalf of everyone else, this side was happy, even
if they had to break some rules along the way.

The other side looked at this transition as the establishment
of world-wide self governance, one that should be firmly based
on representative and democratic structures.  Here, process was
more important than decisions, representative structures were
more important than political appointments.

By all appearances, these two sides have been equally matched,
with approximately the same number of people supporting each
of these positions.

Yet, over time, the technocracy has come to dominate ICANN.
ICANN has justified this by claims of wide-spread community
"consensus".  But if the public support has been approximately
equal, exactly how has this consensus been arrived at?

>While I am not prepared to subscribe to any conspiracy theories
>regarding media coverage or lack thereof:

Nor am I.

I only point out that media bias exists.

Even TOM GABLE, a 25 year veteran in Public Relations,
has offered *seven* explanations for the media blackout
we are under.  Again, he didn't suggest that the media
wasn't biased, only that there were rational
explanations for it!!!

Whatever the reason, the media is only presenting one
side of this story -- the one that is supportive of
the technocracy's takeover of the Internet.

>Absent a need for revolution the process for creating new governance
>fora is pretty boring stuff, and as such not a ratings booster for our
>commercial media.

Then why has the press covered over 50 stories
supportive of the technocracy since the Congressional
Committee on Oversight and Investigations held their
hearing less than a month ago?

Truth of the matter is, this and the other explanations
for the continuing media blackout are just excuses.  In
actuality, the media *IS* biased.  I don't fault them
for that, but that's the way it is.

And while I believe that the press should be free
to publish anything it wants, from any perspective
that it wants, I do object to their claims that they
are *NOT* biased.  This, in effect, is the ultimate
form of false advertising and consumer fraud.

And this, in a nutshell, is really the heart of the
matter, as it questions the very soul of democracy.

Perhaps those trying to establish representational
structures for cyberspace have been misdirected.
Perhaps, before this can be accomplished, current
representational structures need to be scrutinized
and understood.  Perhaps, the current role of the

media in our increasingly democratic society needs
a little sunshine.

And if the press is biased, then it should be open
to public debate and scrutiny.  And if it is open
to this scrutiny, what better venue than the
Internet.

In closing, many have predicted that the Internet
will change the world.  Perhaps, just perhaps,
exploring the issue of media bias is the place
to begin.

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    404-943-0524
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com

"All truth passes through three stages.  First, it is
ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third,
it is accepted as self-evident." (Arthur Schopenhauer)