Re: [IFWP] The ICANN Ruckus

At 01:56 PM 8/19/99 , Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 01:13:36PM -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
>> By all appearances, these two sides have been equally matched,
>> with approximately the same number of people supporting each
>> of these positions.
>>
>> Yet, over time, the technocracy has come to dominate ICANN.
>> ICANN has justified this by claims of wide-spread community
>> "consensus".  But if the public support has been approximately
>> equal, exactly how has this consensus been arrived at?
>
>As Ayn Rand was so fond of saying:  "Examine your assumptions."  The
>public support has not been "approximately equal".  In fact, the
>faction you describe as "establishing world-wide self-governance" is
>closer to a lunatic fringe than a faction.

I would hardly call Larry Lessig, David Post,
Jamie Love, Milton Mueller and Ira Magaziner
part of the lunatic fringe.

But then again, I guess there is only one way
to know for certain -- establish some method of
measuring consensus, aka voting.

Those who believe that this is about self
governance *support* such voting.

You do *not*!

So while you claim we are part of the lunatic
fringe, you also prevent any meaningful way to
measure our voice.

Please explain your inconsistencies?

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    404-943-0524
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com

"All truth passes through three stages.  First, it is
ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third,
it is accepted as self-evident." (Arthur Schopenhauer)