Re: [names] Consensus on "consensus"

At 08:31 AM 10/7/99 , Tamar Frankel wrote:
>Decision by consensus avoids the need of determining who the stakeholders
>are but creates the need of determining whether a consensus exists.

Well, there appears to be agreement that
defining stakeholders is a bad thing, and
instead, an arbitrary definition of consensus
is preferred by those supporting this ICANN.

>As
>pointed in one the the messages, you can protect a strongly objecting
>minority by creating some compensation for it

When the minority strongly objected to the
ICANN by-laws that had no constraints on
the board's power, and no representation
for minority interests, this ICANN board
said the consensus was that their by-laws
were supported.

When the minority strongly objected to the
selection of this ICANN Board without any
input from the disenfranchised participants
of the IFWP, this ICANN board said the
consensus was that they were supported.

When the minority strongly objected to closed
board meetings, this ICANN board said that the
consensus was that the board meetings should be
closed.

When the minority strongly objected to violations
of process in drafting the registrar agreement,
this ICANN board said that the consensus was that
the agreement was supported.

When the minority strongly objected to the ICANN
board making decisions on policy, before it had
replaced itself with a duly elected initial board,
this ICANN board said that the consensus was that
they should extend their term for another year.

Frankly, I can't believe that people look at
this as a feature, and not the corrupt flaw
that it is!

IMHO & FWIW,

Jay.