InterNIC question

Hi
I've been exploring the ICANN site in an effort to come to some sort of
understanding about the whole 'domain name' issue.  Essentially, I think it
is all relatively clear.  I am still a little confused about what InterNIC
is and how it will be affected by the new registrar companies.
Will InterNIC still have control over the new Canadian registrar companies?

If this is too complicated for an e-mail message then perhaps you might be
able to point me to a site that explains it all.

Thanks very much
George Cowan
george.cowan@sympatico.ca