Re: [Membership] Re: Divide and rule by geography or language

Diane and all,

  We see some problems with the stated requirements from your URL
reference.  Regarding the following:

5.3.  Any member can self-nominate as in 5.1.1, on petition and provision of verifiable
information concerning objective criteria:

Problem areas:

willingness to pay for/provide translation if necessary (How would
          this  constrain candidates?) -  We believe this should be the
          responsibility of the ICANN, not the candidate....

sources of income and conflicts of interest (latter needs definition) - This
certainly needs clarification in the specific.  An individuals income
or source thereof, should have no barring on qualification on
their candidacy.

showing of additional support from membership (validates
          candidate and reduces over participation) -  Over participation
seems to be a canard and indicates that there is a lack from some
as to wanting an open membership.  This provision should be struck
as problem/requirnment/criteria...

Diane Cabell wrote:

One of the suggestions is to have regional voting pools (where only people from
the region can vote for candidates from that region).  The reason for that is
because the drafting of V.6. is so awkward that this may be one of the few ways
to fulfill it.  Greg Crew's proposal is that all members vote for whomever they
wish and the candidates from each region getting the highest number of votes will
be the nominee.  That seems to be the approach that you and most commenters
support.  It requires changing the by-laws, we believe.  You can see some of the
ideas about this at http://cyber.harvard.edu/rcs/report.html

Diane Cabell
MAC

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 07:34 31/01/99 -0500, Diane Cabell wrote:
> >

> >Joop Teernstra wrote:
> <snip>
> >> But what prevents the MAC to come with a recommendation for an amendment
> >> that will allow at large members to vote freely for whomever they like, in
> >> any geographic division

Contact Number:  972-447-1894