Re: [Membership] membership votes domain names INTEGRITY

You seem to be suggesting that along with a membership and voting
structure, ICANN needs a Bill of Rights and constitutional-level
protection.  Some of that is provided by the Articles of Incorporation,
which may be amended only by a 2/3 vote of the membership.  Thus the
members can bind the board to their concerns, and part of our work is to
find what level of agreement should be required for what decisions.

Another point you make is the need for a common understanding of what the
organization exists to do.  Others, such as Einar Stefferud, have made
similar calls for a recognition of common values.  It might make governance
easier if we could find a deep set of shared values, but the definition of
those values/goals is itself contentious.

In trying to develop and justify a membership model to all the
organization's potential members, I would suggest we need to start with the
broad base of consensus that doesn't get into specifics, such as the White
Paper principles of stability, representation, and competition, and then
find structures from there that help us to reach a more specific consensus.
 The different types of discussion proposed, including the mailing lists,
discussion spaces, polls and non-binding votes, all seem to be good ways of
teasing out the consensus of participants and generating building blocks
for the organization.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer
Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School